Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

To Read is to Live a Thousand Lives

Started by DragonSong, January 02, 2016, 03:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Lyssa loved her job any time of day, but she had to admit that having the closing shift was her favorite. The library was always quiet, but with the sun setting the hush became almost sacred.

She smiled a bit at her own fanciful thoughts, absently flicking through the pages of the book in front of her. She'd read it a dozen times already, but she liked the feel of a book in her hand. She glanced up with small smiles and nods for the people who began trickling out, returning home.

It was just about closing time when she finally looked up and realized the library was empty. Seemingly. She sighed and stretched, closing her book, and rose to her feet. This was why she loved the closing shift, actually getting to close up. There was something wonderful to her about being the only person in a big building full of books.

She needed to make her rounds first though. More than once she'd almost been locking up when some student or random fellow bookworm came hurrying out of some nook or another, breathless and apologizing for losing track of the time. Taking out the quill and parchment she always carried, she leaned over her desk and scrawled a quick Light.

A soft glow sprang into being around her head, enough to see by even as she began walking around and blowing out the lanterns. Satisfied, she set off on her rounds.

Medievarad

Ameterasu sighed slowly, knocking on the door of the library. She was asked to deliver a book that was ordered. Quite the rare book. Her client was a librarian, thus, a fellow reader. Possibly someone that even shared her undying love for the written arts.

She opened the door and walked in, looking around, before smiling gently and softly calling out to whomever was left. With a light, non-threatening "Hello?"

DragonSong

Lyssa turned at the voice, a little surprised. Seeing the newcomer, she smiled and said, "Oh, hello. I'm sorry, but we're just closing up."

Hating to send someone away from the library, she added, "But if you'd like, and you know what you're looking for, I could help you find something quickly."

Medievarad

Ameterasu shook her head. "I'm.. Not looking for anything, my lady. I merely did as requested and came to fulfill an order." She held up the book with a gentle smile. "Didn't you order this one?" She asked, tilting her head slightly.

DragonSong

"Oh!" Lyssa's smiled widened and she moved forward to take the book. "Yes, thank you! I'd forgotten Terryn said someone would be making a delivery today."

Eyes softening a bit, she added gently, "No need for that "my lady" business. I'm just Lyssa, ma'am."

Medievarad

Ameterasu smirked slightly as the woman took the book off her hands. "No worries." She said with the same gentle smirk. "Then you can call me Ameterasu.. Say, it's quite the collection you have here.." She said as she glanced around.

DragonSong

She clutched the newest book to her chest, looking around and unable to stop herself from beaming.

"Yeah," she agreed, proud despite the fact that she only worked in the library and didn't own it. Sensing a fellow bookish spirit, she looked at Ameterasu and offered slowly, "Would you...like a tour? We really are closing soon, but seeing as you went through the trouble of making this delivery..."

She trailed off, offering a kind smile.

Medievarad

Ameterasu chuckled at the display of excitement at the new book. She didn't react as strongly to it, but she knew and understood how the woman felt. She smiled as a tour was offered to her. "I'd love to.. And it wasn't trouble at all." Was stated with the same gentle and friendly voice.

DragonSong

"Great." Lyssa grinned. "Follow me then, I can show you around while I'm closing up shop."

Medievarad

Ameterasu nodded slowly. "Lead the way." She said with a gentle smile.

DragonSong

Turning to gently place the new book on her desk- she'd file it later- Lyssa set off into the library. "This floor is mostly nonfiction, research material," she explained, gesturing to the shelves around them and dousing lanterns one by on. The glow around her grew more pronounced as she did.

"We get a lot of students in here, and they usually need in and out fast, so this is the most convenient layout," she said over her shoulder.

Medievarad

"I see. Smart design.." She said as her fingers trailed the leather covers, smiling gently. "The most basic and the most intricate of titles.. A very intruiging collection. Sorted per subject it covers.. Well done."

DragonSong

Lyssa blushed lightly. "Thanks. That's sort of my job, organization."

They came to a simple if large staircase and she started up it. "So what brings you here?" she asked curiously. "Not the library, I mean. Arca. Are you a local, or visiting?"

Medievarad

"Visiting. I had some bussiness of interest here. One of them being the order to this library. I reside at the local inn." She chuckled a bit. "The menu isn't as bad as they'd have you believe here."

DragonSong

"What sort of business? If you don't mind me asking?" She paused at the top of the steps, leaning against the railing and looking at her guest.

Medievarad

"I do not mind at all, Lyssa. I am a grandmaster in pyromancy. So. I was asked to tutor some children of notables here. Aswell as fulfill some other orders I had here." She nodded slowly, standing next to the librarian. "But. I tend to also make time for myself on these trips. You see.. I rarely get out of Featherfall. So it is a rare occasion for me to travel." She chuckled slowly.

DragonSong

Lyssa sighed a bit with envy. "I'd love to travel," she admitted. "Books are an amazing substitute, but they can only do so much, you know?"

Medievarad

"Oh.. I completely understand. This is the first time I trvalled to another city in years.." She said with a chuckle.

DragonSong

Lyssa smiled. "Let me show you something then." she started off around the balcony-like ring that circled the first floor of the library, dragging her fingers along the shelves.

"Aha!" She found the title she was looking for and pulled it from its shelf with a grin. "Technically it's a children's book," she explained, "that's the section we're in, pretty small section actually... Anyway, I love this thing."

She flicked the book open to a random page. It was full of beautiful, detailed illustrations of every major city in Le'raana, along with pictures of major landmarks, ruins, lakes, rivers, deserts. She handed it over.

Medievarad

She took the book with a gentle nod, before closing it and looking at the title. Ger eyes growing in awe and disbelief. "This.. Is a very rare book.." She said as she looked at Lyssa, the dropped jaw changing to a small smile as she opened it again. "Marvelous.. It's so detailed.. I've been looking for it for a very long time.." Ameterasu chuckled slowly. "I always get outbidded on auctions.. I am surprised.. Pleasantly so."