Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Wild Fires

Started by visualspice, July 06, 2016, 07:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

OOC: tags to @Magyar !

She had known the Grand Dukes men were coming well before they arrived. Wallund was, if anything, very carefully guarded, with many maintaining the area and keeping watch. They had to fear deceit and foul play from their brothers in Allar to the East, Chaos to the North, south and west- leaving just about no where else to go.

Petrin didn't mind. She had lived in Wallund her whole life. She had guarded the place as fiercely as any other- she being a woman or not meant little to her family here. Though patriarchal by law, she still held a vow to her father, and her brother Toma, too.

Acting as the ruling reagent, Lady Petrin Stark took the news and acted quickly, not about to waste her time and bathing and doing up her hair as all other ladies of society were apt to do. No, here in Wallund, the women road freely, spoke freely and were strong as the west winds that shaped the very valley and people themselves.

She sat atop Stormrider, her horse she had been riding all after noon. She had paused briefly for a rest when the news had come to her, and she sent word back to the castle, to warn her brother Seldon of their approaching 'guests'.

Perhaps it was foolish of her to think she could stop the advancement of the men upon her home by meeting them on the road-
But then again, Petrin had a lot of things to protect there, and those carrying the banner of the Grand Duke had no business putting their noses in it.

She wasn't sure on the number of men, and it frightened her some to think there was enough her scouts couldn't count. Though they mentioned the party was long tailed and the numbers seemed to shift and wane then grow like the winter snow, Petrin decided to simply take this information in stride.

Galloping down Kingsmill Road, her horse kicked up a hefty amount of cold, thick mud as he ran. And as she crested the hill and crossed the narrow river, the path split into two, and she chose to take Broadshoulder pass, as her horse raced on and came up to flank the bannermen.

She possessed her own crest, chiseled proudly into her armor as the men all halted to see the approach of a woman rider, with wild long red hair scattering behind her in the winds like a flag of fire, and eyes that seemed to pierce like the color of the sky.

Her horse came to an abrupt stop and the men put up a defensive position. Petrin simply clung to her reins and turned her horse sharply as her eyes cleaved through the men.

"I am Lady Stark, current regent of Wallund. I demand you approach no further to Wallund and allow me to speak with whomever is in charge."
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Magyar

"Annefain! The Lady Petrin wishes to speak directly to you!" One of the Bannermen called back into the rows of silver and white clad men.

Tinkling armour and chafing tunics rasped among the snorts and pawing of horses, as the men split down the middle, allowing a path for High Captain Gwynne Annefain, Leader of the Ahjfeld Regiment. The title was preemptive, and it fit the hulking figure, for although he wasn't overly tall to an outsider, he towered among the Connloathians, outdistancing most by almost half a foot. He was solidly built, and wore little visible armour, other than silver trimmed pauldrons, and Mordecai greaves. His Mordecai tabard was not as pristine as his comrades', nor was his armour as polished, and his face bore a burn that rimmed under his left eye, giving it almost a stretched quality.

The beast he rode looked the part as well, an ivory mare larger than most, with a black mane and horse armour plating gracing it's spine. He sat proud and tall in the saddle, his eyes trained on Petrin as he trotted towards her from within his war party. A scowl complimented the glare he was shooting at his quarry, and his scar twisted ever so unsettlingly.

"What is the meaning of this, Lady Stark?" His voice betrayed a sense of weariness that his façade did not. He was exasperated, and it shone through in a haughty tone layered with annoyed tolerance. Even in a deep and booming response, he seemed not to phase the lady. That was to be expected though, seeing as she was the sole protector of her lands, she needed resolve. He respected that. He also resented it. She was not the first strong willed soul he had come across, and the last he had problems with had left him a gift that framed his left eye socket. "Were we not to meet at your hold, under friendly accommodations? My men could use a rest, and we would much prefer a thick roof and warm stew to thunderheads and roasted squirrel."

visualspice

Petrin frowned.
"No such accommodations had been promised, Captain. The letter came stating a meeting was desired and one to discuss allegiances. I'd prefer this take place quickly, and here rather than at my keep. The winter has been hard on us all, and we haven't the resources to simply put out for an entourage of men of your size."
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Magyar

"So be it. Petrin Stark, Regent of Wallund, I, High Captain Gwynneir Annefain of the Mordecai of the Arch Duchy of Connloath, hereby request Alliance and Treaty with the Duchy of Ahjfeld on behalf of Arch Duke Callent Allarick," Gwynne said, over formal and stiff throughout his delivery, practiced words recited in a cold tone, "What say you?"

The near entirety of the Mordecai outfit and their lesser counterparts held their breath as they waited for the lady's response. This was a turning point and one that would decide the fate of all of Ahjfeld for the next few months.

visualspice

Her smirk was a dark one.
"I say you're using a lot of unnecessary words. But, since you came all the way out here, let's not waste anymore of our time than needed. Sound good to you?" And she didn't wait for his reply, dismounting and giving him a big, fake smile.

Magyar

"Unnecessary words are what make the dealings of nobility different from those of common folk, Regent, even if it is all pompous and flashy." He replied, exasperated. This woman could be painful to deal with. Dismounting, he stood to her, taller, but not overbearing. She stood her ground with a defiant stance, countering his bulk.
"Let's keep the nitty gritty details of the alliance out of this unless you choose to accept. And so, I ask, do you accept a conjoined war effort, in which the Mordecai station themselves in Ahjfeld, primarily out of your hold, and use your keeps as Connloathian barracks and halfway camps? Do you also agree to  Mordecai guarded trade routes, as our way of thanking you for your land and compliance?"

visualspice

"You know, for a fellow that knows a lot of fancy words, you'd think whoever your teacher was would have at least taught you some common sense. Or history." Her smirk was mean, her eyes, stormy.

"This is Ahjfeld, and the land you're approaching is my home, Wallund." She watched the man carefully, and made sure to talk as slowly and to the point as possible. She didn't need to use large words for flattery or to make him understand.

"My father rules here and had no desire to agree to such terms and support. As regent, I can assure you..." she went on, eyes flicking up and down his form. "That from the last time someone penned a request, or asked us in person, as you do so now, that our mind hasn't changed, nor will it."

She gave him a pretty, petty smile that had an obvious bite to it.

"Now, do you have anything else you'd like to discuss, Captain? 'Cause if not," And here she gave him another mean, but spirited smile. "I've got to get back to my castle. We're having duck, and I'd be very angry if I were to miss my favorite meal."

Magyar

"Alright." He grunted. Her demeanour was annoying him, and he had no time for games. If it had been his way, they would have started with Plan B, and proceeded with the stronger strategy, but Allarick had pressed on the diplomatic approach. Gwynne didn't understand his persistence on fair play. They were the superpower. They should take what they wanted.

Raising an arm and snapping twice, Gwynne simply glared daggers at the Acting Regent as his bannermen stepped aside. A mounted Mordecai squadron quickly circled Petrin and her horse, lowering pikes, and readying swords and axes. Following closely were the crossbow men, standing in between the horsemen, training their pre-loaded weapons on the now surrounded Lady Stark.

"Let me make this clear, and not fancy, as you seem to have a problem with big words." Gwynne growled, loosening his war hammer in it's sheathe loop, "Your father ruled here. Now you do. As of now, neither of your desires matter. You are no longer in control, except for when I or the Arch Duke say so." His scowl grew with every word, his hatred for the woman, or rather what she stood for, surfacing. Now drawing his hammer, he mocked her voice, high pitched and adding a whine, "And didn't you know, it's common sense not to meet your enemy alone and isolated during war?"

As he said the last word, his voice dropped to a low grunt, and swung his hammer toward the side of her armoured right  knee, aiming at the inside with great speed and force.

visualspice

There was a certain sort of satisfaction to see the man get riled. But she was simply following her own family's orders, and her eyes grew wide When his men moved to circle her. Shebared her teeth and growled.
"What sort of response is this? You bring out weapons, you bring out war!"

And though if she were to die here she knew the whole of Wallund would rise up and rennounce the Grand Duke, she was far from ready to just roll over. So when the swing came from his heavy weapon, she did the only thing she could, and dropped off herhorse who took theblow, and it began to buck in a panic, knocking over enough men for Petrin to slip through and escape the circle of men.

Magyar

"Do not let her escape!" Gwynne roared, and several horsemen reared back, confusion spreading in the circle as the lithe woman slipped in between the Mordecai steeds. Crossbow bolts flew in all directions as the secondary line of defense sprang into action. Two crossbow men fell to the bolts of their comrades, and a horse was stuck in the throat, sending it reeling, causing more chaos.

Gwynne could not see if the Regent had been hit by any of the bolts, but he himself had been glanced by one, denting his left pauldron, and sending him to his knee. "If she escapes, this becomes war!" He bellowed out into the chaotic ranks, both to his men and Petrin. She would know that she couldn't get far without a horse, and the Archduke had sent enough men to siege, if not sack Ahjfeld's hold. The Regent would not serve well to Allarick as a martyr, but she also wouldn't deliberately put her people in danger. Probably.

(OOC: I'll be away for about a week, on a trip, so if I don't reply that's why. Just wanted to give you a heads up.)

visualspice

She had never been in such chaos as she had that moment. Bolts were loosed, men were exploding blood, and swords swung too close to comfort. Her adrenaline exploded through her veins, giving her just enough strength to get out of the masses of massacring men to open ground.

She knew she wouldn't be hard to follow, her hair was red and she was a woman, her figure much slimmer than the rest. Plus she proudly wore her family's crest, where as the men all wore the Grand Duke's flags and that of the church.

Knowing she couldn't outrun men on horseback, and knowing she couldn't call her own horse to return to her (for if the horse wasn't injured enough to die from his wounds, she knew he couldn't survive any more such brutality). She soon found herself fisting her hands into dirt, crawling up a steep hill side before she turned back to see just where Gwynne and his men were.

No doubt they'd be hot on her tail, and if she could manage to steal one of their horses.. She might have a chance to survive.

Wild eyes darted all around, searching, seeking any familiar ditch or tree she could use to her advantage. And then she saw one, a low lying limbly pine to her right. It had a hardy branch that reached out wide over her head.

The sound of the men advancing upon her was clear, and she felt her stomach leap as a pair of men on horse back began to rush the hill. She didn't have time to think, only to act, and just as the men were getting closer, she jumped.  Muddy fingers gripped onto the tree branch's slimmer end, and she threatened to lose her grip. But as she refortified her grip with a stronger one, it gave her enough momentum to swing herself, and soon she was throwing herself at one of the pair of horse saddled men.

The act was enough to startled rider and horse, and with all of her fury, she clung to the man and aimed to throw him off- but in the process the horse bucked up wildly, and both she and the rider were tossed to the ground.

The horse barely managed not to stomp the pair of them, and Petrin was well on her back as she looked for her opportunity to snag the horse. And then she saw it, a few low laying supplies hanging off theback of the saddle. She scrambled to get to her knees, and just as the second horseman was coming right for her, she threw herself away from his weapon, lunged at the horse and gripped onto the dangling sacks as she shouted fiercely for the horse to run.

Spooked, the beast obeyed, and took off running, with Petrin dangling dangerously off it's side.

OOC: Have fun on your trip!

Magyar

"Damnit! Damn you and your accursed hide, Petrin!" Gwynne snarled under his breath. He had been searching for hours, and he hadn't found so much as a hair of the girl. Of course he was only heading one of ten search parties, and they each could've found her, but a growing sense of dread in his gut told him they had fared similar to he.

Her tracks had vanished into the forest moss, and the now torrential rain had only furthered her chance of escaping him. He brooded about the undoubtable consequences he was to receive at his botching of the capture. A military Coup d'Etat could still be arranged with the royal family, but Petrin could easily stir the people into a revolt if she was left out here. She was the face of power after all. The Duke would not be pleased.

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

The Duke's Army camped outside of The Stark Keep that night. The city's walls were nothing overly impressive, and Gwynne had no doubt that they could sack the city if they tried. But he waited now, not only for the return of the rest of the search parties, but also for Arch Duke Allarick's hawk. He had sent a message asking guidance in the matter, whether to directly assault the city or to wait for Petrin to show herself and proceed as planned. The bird flew fast, and a reply was almost always garunteed within three days or so. As of now, he would simply wait.

(OOC: Sorry for being gone much longer than anticipated. Would you mind an Archdukely reply, via messenger hawk?)

visualspice

The Grand Duke had received the messenger hawk in an impressive amount of time, and found himself chewing over a reply. But he didn't waste much time on it, knowing there wasn't any leeway, and penned a message himself and pressed his crest into a hot wax seal before sending the hawk back to Gwynne.

The message would read:
Your efforts to bring Ahjfeld back under the crown are noted, but as all Connlaothians are, we're a proud breed. Do not get into battle with the Stark family. If they resist peace, only then make the appropriate actions. Be it now, we need all Connlaothian royals at our side. If the Stark's continue to ignore the crown, do inform them of the potential consequences which could lead to their excommunication from the capital. Also, remind them that they are still viewed as our allies, and what the Duke of Turgall has done to them and their people will be rectified. Keep us posted on your activities and if their is failure to bring the Starks around, send another message for proper action.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrrick

Magyar

Lieutenant Baylein winced as a barrage of noise washed over him, the volume vibrating water inside the cups of the High Captain's tent. it had been two days, and despite a formal request sent to gather in peace at the city gates a day previous, there had been no news from within the city. Petrin hadn't shown up either, much to the chagrin of Captain Annefain.

"How could one woman escape you? You are a trained Mordecai, you tottering idle-headed clotpole!! Have you even seen Petrin Stark?! She's tiny!" Gwynne bellowed, reddened face contorted at a strange angle. All but one of the search parties had returned fruitless, and Gwynne grew ever more sullen with each new group that came in. Truth be told, he was making the situation worse than it was, thinking of the consequences of the future as if they were happening in the present. As of now, there was no reason for the Stark family to suspect ill of the Arch Duke's forces despite Gwynne, and now Petrin, damn her, knowing otherwise.

He did however have a sliver of hope. That last search party wasn't yet returned, and with the luck of the Gods, they might have her. Simply put, the success of diplomacy in this endeavour was riding on Acting Regent Petrin Stark being either foolish or unlucky enough to be captured. If she was let free, and caused enough trouble, a show of force would be required, and Allarrick wouldn't like that nearly as much.

visualspice

These were her lands. Perhaps it was the only thing on her side. She couldn't go home, not directly. Those men had search parties all over the place, and were hounding all easy access there of. Yet there were places she knew they would not think of, but it would be costly in time- and she wasn't sure she had the benefit of that option.

But she had no real choice, and while trying to decide which way to go, Petrin found herself having to remain just two steps ahead of the search parties, until she was left with just one- one very determined group that, unfortunately, knew they were getting closer to her by the hour.

She had to abandon the horse, at this point, it made it too obvious where she was. Tracks were easier to cover when it was just a two legged creature (herself) rather than four, and with her being a much slower animal than a horse, she could cover her tracks as she walked.

But she was so close to her castle home she could taste it. But how much refuge would it bring? Then again, her own men were probably looking for her by now. Should she wait for them to seek her? Or... dare she just make a run for her haven?

Night fall...
Night fall it was decided. It would be poor visibility on all parts and from what she judged..
It looked like there'd be snow. She needed to get home, to explain to her men what was going on and chase off these ruffians. The Starks were not slaves to the crown. They owned their own land and would not bow down to some pestilent king who thrust unfair laws against those with magic.

Her blood boiled at the thought. And she waited. The sun fell, the moon rose, and as the last search party was setting up camp- she made her move, and began the long run from the woods to her family's keep.

Magyar

A cold reception would have been an understatement for how Gwynne had been greeted by the Starks. They'd picked up quickly that something was off, given that Petrin hadn't so much as sent a messanger to say she'd be staying in the Mordecai camp, as was implied. Neither could their guests procure Petrin, and so barred from the city, the hosts of the Archduke made camp around Ahjfeld's walls.

Diplomatic relations were quickly turning into an impromptu siege, with only a fraction of the food shipments making it through the gargantuan military barricade. Almost ninety percent of the produce and livestock had been kept for the Mordecai and their men, leaving a measly amount for the city. The Archduke had been clear in his intention for diplomacy over conflict, but Gwynneir was a war man and he was doing what he knew to work. If you wanted something your way, you made it happen. That philosophy did not, however, apply to the capture and ransom of Petrin Stark for the military occupation of Ahjfeld. Gwynne was working on that.

"We starve them, but not entirely. Not until we find the girl," Gwynne ordered, sharing a table in his own tent with his captains. Each had been given a station near the entrances to the city, and the leftover men were on patrol. They'd effectively encircled what they could, and had begun constricting their target. But unfortunately, a red haired wrench had been thrown into their plans, "Once that last party arrives with the Stark runt, and by Ansgar they'd better, we starve the city. Ahjfeld will be captured for the Archduke. If you so much as glimpse Petrin Stark, you will go to any length to apprehend her. If you need to cripple her to do so, you may engage and use everything short of lethal force."

Gwynne leaned back in his chair, a metal goblet lax in his fingers. He surveyed the men around him, approving of the determination and aggression he saw among them. He brought the goblet to his lips, tasting the bitter imported wine they'd captured not an hour before. To himself, he muttered, "The games are over. Now we truly begin."

visualspice

The way the army fanned out around her family's land was not expected. Perhaps she had misjudged had many men this man had brought with him; a fact that only continued to fuel her hatred towards him. But she was growing weary, and she had been gone for too long for her family not to notice; and with an army setting it's position just outside of her walls....

It was all for nothing; for her next step was misguided, a huge misfortune that had her screaming out to sweet Ansgar for mercy before wordless she dropped to her knees, fingernails clawing at the heavy bear trap that was now smashed around her leg. Her bone was shattered, it had to be, and the blood... it seeped out warmly from her boot as she frantically clawed at the metal trap, mindlessly forgetting how to do so for the pain was so potent all sense had gone numb.

Who knew how long it had taken her to realize it's release, and once the jaws opened, another scream, this one of rage, was released as she shoved the thing aside and frantically crawled backwards up against a tree.

She was breathing, frantic and heavy, a hand nursing her wounded leg and frantically working at her boot laces. Shakingly, the last buckled was unclasped and she winced, removing the blood soaked boot to look at the gnarled gashed up leg.

Tenderly, she prodded at the wound, but it was hard to see it, the pain was so intense it welled her eyes up with tears. Brushing them aside, she moved quickly, tkaing off her scarf and securing it stiff and firm around her wound before applying more pressure and attempting to blink back more tears.

Damn it all! She was so close to her house, yet in the dark of night it all seemed so far away-

and then she heard it...
Something.. someone.. or a bunch of someone's were coming.

Shit.

No doubt they had heard her cries and the army was coming. She had to think fast. She attempted to stand, but any weight on her leg elicited another cry and she collapsed back to the dirt. But she was stubborn, like a mule, and kept trying, kept desperately trying to at least stand when a group of men rounded the bend and she froze in their torch light.

"There's the fucking girl! Seize her!"

She wasn't sure when the men had gotten to her, but the second one of their grubby hands was on her, she threw all of the weight of her head into him, then the whole weight of her body at another. But she only managed to stun them, and she- only managed to take two steps before shrieking out as she collapsed. And once she did, the man, who's nose she set to bleed, kicked her hard, and then hard again, right in her ribs.

She was winded, wincing on her side when a man grabbed her by her hair and looked at her in the moonlight.

"Bitch." She felt his hot spit on her face. the other man saw her leg.

"Daemen, look, her leg's all fucked."

The man's smile was crooked, and she noticed a few missing teeth. He lifted two fingers, gave their dirty tips a lick, before moving to sink them straight into her wounds. The cry she made deafened even her before he yanked his fingers out and back handed her. She was coughing out blood.

"Bitch has a mouth on her." He spit to the side. "Think Gwynne'll care much when we bring her back?"

At first the Daemen didn't get what his comrade meant, but a wicked smile had him throwing Petrin onto the ground.
"Hold her done. We deserve at least somethin' from this red haired bitch."

Magyar

The goat couldn't have possibly seen it coming.

It had woken up surrounded by hundreds of other gray-brown, yellow-eyed caprid brothers and sisters, like every day before. It had been fed, and shepherded, and loaded onto a cart. It had slept, and bleated, and scuffed at the wooden cart. All had been rather uneventful, even by goat standards. When large shapes and loud noises began, things began to change. Still, he was led by the rope he had always been led by, and so he did not panic. He was left in a pen, in the mud, and all was normal, in absence of the excess noise, but even that was like the incessant bleating of the herd.

It wasn't until the war hammer's spiked steel head punched through his skull did things begin to get exciting.

Gwynne grunted at the nearly headless livestock. It was too complacent, and though killing it had elevated his mood beyond downright miserable, it hadn't provided a distraction in the stead of Petrin's return. He could've had women join him, but he wasn't in the mood. He was angry, and he needed something to take out his anger on. Hence the poor goat, whose brains painted the mud and whose blood saturated the earth that was now its final resting place.

"Fucking Stark..." he bit out under his breath, "You'd better come back with that search party, or by the gods above and below they'll be joining your livestock in the mud."

Gwynne turned and called for someone to roast the bedamned thing, before storming back into his tent.

visualspice

The team that found her had thinned out considerably from the rest. They had been itching for at least some kind of result, so instead of a few handfuls of men, it may have just been a handful; which still afforded Petrin enough time someone else had heard her cries, and not just those from the bear trap.

Men savage from wore were brutal to her, and took everything they could. They didn't care it was freezing and everyone was watching. Perhaps that's how it was made so easy for her to be found, because the bear traps weren't put down to catch Petrin- and the trapper hadn't been that far away.

These lands were fertile for something, brown bear included, who, despite the time of year, came out every so often when the weather would break. It was perhaps the animals were as sturdy as the people, learning to adapt and survive in such harsh conditions so near to the boarder of Hyoite.

The trapper who spotted them was no fool, keeping to the shadows, especially after he realized what had happened- and who it was happening too. Ahfeld were a people who stuck to their own, and though the Stark's weren't of the highest standing in the country, they were known well and true to those of their home, and treated with much more respect (and even power, in some cases) than the Duke that once ruled hear ever was.

The Starks elicited a true respect from their people, because through the years, time and time again, the noble family stayed side by side with their common blooded brethren, and this is perhaps why the trapper did what he had done.

He wasn't alone, even as old as he was, and it didn't take long to drag in what help he knew and with as much haste as he could muster. The men wouldn't have seen it coming, the massive, grey bearded trapper knocking his ax into their skull as the last of them had their fun, while three other veteran picked off the rest.

But they didn't take them all down- no...
A man had gotten away, scrambled off to warn the rest. And in doing so, they knew they didn't have much time.

The man offered Petrin a hand.
"Gimme your hand, lass. We need to get you to the castle. It ain't that far, and I'm sure once they see what the Grand Duke's men have done to you.." Even he couldn't believe it. The men were savages and Petrin's face was as red as her hair, her eyes puffed and raw with tears as her chapped lips were twisted into a snarl.

"They want our land, Sam." Petrin began, taking purposeful, but careful steps forward with his help. "All of it, without a care. They know we've got resources the Grand Duke needs for the war."

The trapper frowned and looked to his comrades.

"Well, they've challenged the wrong family, and done them wrong."

Petrin winced as she slipped, gripping onto Sam's thick fur coat to steady herself. He asked if she wanted to rest, but she shook back the idea. They didn't have the time. As slow as they were moving, she knew it they had to keep moving. They had to get her home. They couldn't let the Grand Duke win. Not now, not ever.

He started this war when they just wanted nothing out of it. Ahjfeld had already fallen. Nobody ruled here. And as she heard the call of men off in the none too far distance, she cringed. Could they make it?

Magyar

Daemen was by no means a smart man. If he was smart, he would have taken Petrin back to camp the moment they'd caught her. He'd have stopped his idiot comrade from raping the Stark girl. But he was by no means a smart man.

Now his rather stupid head was missing a significant chunk from the tip of where his nose used to be to the back of his cranium. He'd been dropped next to the goat after Gwynne had finished following through with his promise.

"Tonight it burns." Gwynne snapped to no one in particular. His captains, large and intimidating men in and of themselves, had kept their eyes averted and their lunches down when Gwynne had mutilated Daemen. Now they played a dangerous game, sneaking wary glances at Gwynne when he was turned away, only to quickly shift their gaze under his scrutiny. "All of it. I'll deal with Calent when we get back to the fucking capital, but in Ansgar's fucking name it all fucking burns!"

Gwynne was shouting now, the veins on his neck bulging and his face twisted red with rage. The spattered darker crimson of Daemen's facial bits didn't improve his appearance. "Ahjfeld will drown in oil and burn to ash! Sound the Horns of War!"

In minutes the legion had lit their torches and saddled the pack animals with oil and tar, and Gwynne mounted his own steed, a Theocog. Slowly, like a great machine of black leather and white tabards, the Archduke's forces began to spread out and away from the city. Then the yelping bleats of goats and sheep who'd been drenched and then set aflame echoed out across the forest. From above, in the city's turrets, it would look like hundreds of running and leaping torches had been set loose into the dark shadows of the trees.