Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Visiting old acquaintances and new relations

Started by Marjorie, August 21, 2018, 09:27:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marjorie

Neese

Well... Neese hadn't been to Serendipity in an age, and he found them still overly stiff and restrained. However what they lacked in passions and well... anything that might be considered 'interesting' they made up for in aesthetic appeal. Even the people themselves tended to be, by and large, attractive, and their use of overly primitive magics made for common craft goods that were beautiful enough to rival master artisans from other areas, and the masters here were truly impressive.

Most places, Neese didn't show his true face to mortals on a first encounter, but long ago, far back, and very diluted, in the blood of these people lye the blood of his own people. Fae blood, and fairy things were not unknown to them. Though that they were poorly understood by them was a gorse understatement. Besides, he like the looks cast at him - as he moved threw their streets and halls, in their eyes indecently.

Neese stood tall, at six foot ten, taller than everyone he passes and his angular, lanky, muscled body moved with unnatural grace. His skin shades of grey-green and odd protrusions coming off of his major joints that looked like twigs or leaves, and a face masked by flesh that took on nearly the look of leaves. He was dressed in not but a loin cloth and he liked the gasps from the women as they drew the sleeves of their flowing gowns up toward their mouths.

He paused, and stepped up to a polished brass bowl that some Vendor was peddling, to admire his reflection. Then he stepped threw it, and out the other side into the Wyrdwood, stepping out of a tall mirror that had been hanging on a wall in some hall within the castle. 

Neese had a particular target in mind, one who was unknowingly already bound to him, but he wouldn't mind playing with a few other people along the way. He smiled, glancing down the hall to see if anyone had been about to notice his entrance.

quaggan

Rianharr Thalance

Ria craned his neck, trying to peer over the crowd. "What's this all about?"

Vesyll folded her arms, waiting for him to realize the irony in asking a gnome when his grown self was not enough to see over their heads. She quickly gave up and just provided an answer. "Well, apparently there's a fae here. A real fae, with twigs and bark."

Ria pouted. "I bet you homework for Professor Zinc's class that it's just the twins acting up. Or Aahva in a stupid disguise."

"Deal" she responded immediately. "Usually I'd feel bad about taking advantage of you, but I can't pass up on that. But that's a real fae. What kind of Serenian are you not to know?"

"That's racist!" Ria groaned. "And I haven't even seen him- is it a him?"

"Beats me. Ask the fae" Vesyll shrugged.

Maybe he should. If that was a real fae, then he would have to do extra homework, but he should just take advantage of it and see what could he get out of this fae visit.

"Move aside! Out of the way, a fashion-superior being coming through!" he shouted, pushing around with his elbows. He was forced to use his boots as well - the fae was quite popular.

He got close enough to see him - him? Did fae even have genders? He left that question for the scholars to answer as he examined him with his practiced gaze. The fae looked like some kind of a tree spirit, with bark for skin and movements that language was not prepared to describe. Was he naked? Or was it some kind of a fae outfit? Now that was a question he wanted answered.

"Greetings, fae gentleperson!" he called, trying to shout over a professor who was offering souls of his apprentices to their guests. "That's an impressive costume you're wearing!" Not really, but perhaps it was amazing by fae standards, so he kept his mind open. "Is it the recent fae fashion?"

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"And you really hit him with your slingshot? But he's so fast!"

Aahva Chatterjee walked down a hidden passageway, a spring in his step. He was sporting a very large, fancy wizard hat- something he'd stolen from another student. Beatrix Evans followed closely behind him, a look of awe on her face. The two had discovered the secret corridor earlier in the month, and it had quickly become their go-to means of traversing the school unnoticed.

"You know I did!" the boy bragged, puffing out his chest. "Pluto can't dodge for shit! That retard fell right off his broom, like this!" Turning to look at his friend, Aahva made an exaggerated expression of shock. Breaking into a smug grin, he stopped walking and pressed on a brick in the wall, causing an door to the adjacent hallway to materialize. "It was so funny, you should have seen it!"

Beatrix laughed- a trill, annoying sound. "So that's when you took it then?" she said, pointing to the hat. "When he was on the ground?"

"Yeah!" the bully replied, stepping out of the passageway. "It was- sweet tittyfucking Inima, what the fuck is going on?"

A crowd had gathered in the corridor up ahead, ogling a being of some sort- a strange, overly tall creature that appeared to be made of leaves. Beatrix frowned. "Awww, this hallway is normally quiet..." He eyes seemed to ripple slightly. "Want me to shadowport us outta here?"

The Thanati boy shook his head. "Wait a sec, I wanna know what's going on..." The two stepped forwards, hanging back at the edge of the crowd..."

Marjorie

Neese was clearly enjoying all of the attention, the smile on his face, more akin to a sly grin. He tilted his head as if pondering. He didn't have wings, whatever the rumors might have said, but he was indeed, a real Fae.

"I have five... seven, no, no ten apprentices I could spare..." one of the professors was saying, "just for the smallest sample - a little peace of one of the twigs from your shoulder, perhaps?" He looked hopeful, and for the briefest moment Neese seemed like he might oblige the man.

"It's a very generous offer," he said at length, his voice low and smooth, melodic almost, "but I'm afraid I'm not lacking in human souls." Oh, he supposed Serenians were not so specifically human, but they were close enough in his mind for it not to make much of a difference. "Perhaps," he added, just to tease, "if you're very clever you might come up with someone more interesting to offer." However, he pushed past the man easily, his strength was not apparent in relation to his lanky frame.

Amusement played allover Neese's face, at Ria's question. He tilted his head and considered. "You know," he said, having never considered it, "I haven't been to the faerie courts in so long, I couldn't rightly say." He looked over the little boy, for that was certainly what he was. "Tell me, what is your name?" he expected something in return for his answer.

It was at that moment however that some over-eager scholar or professor leaned forward, reaching out a hand with a blade, determined to steal a sample if one could not be bartered. Neese whirled around so quick he'd look like a blur to those watching. The room grew darker and people and objects near by cast long shadows in the wrong directions. Even though he didn't grow in height, Neese seemed to loom taller over everyone and particularly the offending person. "You would be wise," his voice took on a deep, rolling sound, like a giant bolder crashing down a hill, "to stay your over curious hand. It's impolite to take without giving."

quaggan

He frowned. That was a problem - if the fae was some kind of a hermit or an outcast in the courts, he was pretty much useless - neither could he shed light on his people's fashion, nor could he cause a revolution. Ria should probably go to a study hall and start on the homework - both copies of it.

He would have left right now, but suddenly the fae wanted to know his name. That was suspicious. Ria did not want him to steal his name - not that he was very attached to it, but still, he knew better than giving away personal information - especially to a fae!

"I'm not selling my soul and name!" he exclaimed.

Someone tried to perform a facepalm, but got her hand stuck in a pocket. "I'm sorry, Fae Lord. Upperclassman Thalance is an idiot."

Marjorie

The offending hand receded and the light and shadows in the room returned to normal. Neese turned back toward Ria. He smiled, and chuckled lightly. Wise... maybe, or else foolish for a different reason. Offending Neese was never a good idea. "No one asked you for yous soul, little one," he said, "I believe I already said I wasn'tl lacking in them..." He didn't mention the name part though, because he would buy such information as that.

Looking down a the gnome who had spoken up. "Thalance," he repeated, glancing back at Ria, and then to the even short being beside him. "You may call me Lord Neese," he said to her, "and what, may I ask, is your name?"

quaggan

"Neese to meet you" one student grinned. Someone groaned at the pun.

The gnome folded her arms. The gesture strangely reminded Ria of Vesyll, although it could be just superficial resemblance. "I don't suppose you'd be willing to trade a piece of your bark for the name?"

"What would you even do with a piece of a fae?" one of the professors demanded. "Do you have any idea how should you keep it to preserve its magic outside of the Faerie lands?"

"No idea" the gnome admitted. "But I'm sure you do, and would be willing to trade for class credit."

Ria was content to leave them to their bargaining. He pushed out of the crowd surrounding the fae. It was almost as hard as getting in - very strange, if the others wanted to see the fae or talk to him, they should let him through! He was making space for them, after all!

"I wish proper manners were magic" he grumbled. "Then all those barbarians wouldn't have an excuse of not knowing any!"

His gaze fell on Aahva, and for the first time in... practically the entirety of his life in Wyrdwood, he approved. "Well, I'm glad that you've made an effort to turn yourself into a respectable person!" he exclaimed. "That's a very nice hat! Emulating Plutonius is indeed a pathway to greatness!"

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"What's going on? I can't hear anything!"

Aahva stood on his tiptoes, straining to see over the crowd of students and teachers. Why was everybody at this school so freakishly tall? Was the entire country like this?

Beatrix sighed. "Hang on. Prop me up?" The blue-haired girl closed her eyes, and her shadow extended ito the crowd. Aahva immediately grabbed her by the shoulders- moving her conscience like this while standing often caused the girl to loose balance and fall over. "Okay..." the girl mumbled, almost as if in a trance. "There's s fey... People are offering gifts... Ew, it's talking to-"

As if on cue, Ria stepped out of the crowd, babbling about Aahva's new hat. The Thanati boy's eyes narrowed, and his grip on Beatrix tightened. "More like the path to gayness, Thalance!" he said caustically. "That dick-sniffer made the hat look retarded! Figured I'd do everyone a favor and take it from him." Aahva gave the fashionista a nasty grin. "Maybe I should take those robes of yours next!"

quaggan

Aahva never ceased to disappoint him - and probably everyone else he interacted with. Here Ria was hoping that the bully could grow into a better, more aesthetically pleasing person - but of course, he was given too much credit. He was making even less sense than usual - as if something like 'path to gayness' could ever be true! If some kind of mythical way to be always merry and carefree existed, it would probably be through drugs - and Ria could attest that Plutonius' hat had nothing to do with this.

He blinked, surprised, at the last line. "Well, you wouldn't be the first person to want to take my clothes off - and I assure you, I'm just as gorgeous without my robes - but some boring idiot put public indecency on the list of activities forbidden in the school. And I usually expect courting and compliments before I let someone undress me."

Marjorie

For all their interest in him, Serenian humans didn't seem to have very much respect for or the appropriate amount of fear of Fae. Neese rolled his eyes at the person who made a play on the sound of his name.

As the conversation and focus seemed to be drawn away from Neese specifically, and more into petty bickering between the various mortals about, Neese grew board, and simply disappeared. He didn't really vanish into thin air, he did go invisible though, and slip past the throng of people blocking his path. Maybe someone more interesting would care to take up his time later.

Neese reappeared at the other end of the hall and continued walking on his way, in search of his target.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Aahva's face twisted into a grimace. "You degenerate fucking cockbite!" he said through clenched teeth. "Maybe I won't take your robe- I'll set it on fire while you're still in it!"

"What's going on?" Beatrix had opened her eyes, shadow returning to normal. "We can't set him on fire, we're surrounded by people!" Her eyes focused on her best friend, who was still holding onto her shoulders. "You can let go now, doof."

Aahva quickly let go, arms returning to his side. Were his cheeks pink, just a little? Beatrix couldn't tell. "Right..." the boy said, angrily turning to walk away. "C'mon Trixie, this loser isn't worth it..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Clack. Clack. Clack. Clack.

Lulu walked with a spring in her step, the sound of her stave hitting the floor echoing throughout the hall. She was humming an odd, off-beat tune, her body swaying with the music as she moved. Behind her an older student walked almost robotically, carrying a stack of Lulu's books.

The Connlaothian girl would lift a hand in greeting as she passed the abnormally tall plant being in the hallway, smiling as if it were an everyday occurance. "Hello! Goodbye! Don't get lost!"

Marjorie

Neese tilted his head as the tiny little girl clacked past him. "Oh, I'm not lost child... I am precisely where I wish to be. It's a someone not a someplace I seek. Perhaps you could help me find them?"

He smiled at her something that rode the line between indulgent and wicked. "I might even be inclined to owe you a favor if you would point me in the direction of who I seek. I'm looking for a Torverath, it's my understanding that the youngest one is a guest of this... fine? establishment."

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"Favor?"

Lulu stopped, mentally ordering the student behind her to do the same. She looked at the being, eyes glowing. "I can help you, yes yes! But only if your favor is not owing me a favor." The girl rocked her crook back and forth rhythemically, swaying on her feet slightly. "I don't favor favors. I find them unfavorable."

Marjorie

"Oh?" Neese said, "You don't want to be owed a favor from me?" He grinned like that cat that caught the canary. "I wonder if you are being wise, or just odd." He chuckled softly.

"Well then, I suppose you can help me for free... though I find it rather tasteless. There should always be an exchange - a thing for a thing, but if it is your wish... I am looking for a prince." He smirked, as if laughing at a personal joke. "A likely rather disliked and unlucky prince. I believe, in fact, he is here as a subject of study."

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Beneath the goofy smile and bright eyes, Lulu felt a twinge of annoyance. "Does it really think that it can show up out of the blue and start offering things without people getting suspicious?" she thought, shifting on her feet slightly. "All while looking like that? What does it take me for?"

Instead of voicing any of these thoughts, however, Lulu simply lifted her crook into the air. "Tomatoes!" she exclaimed happily. "There are tomatoes in the kitchen!" She tilted her head to the side. "If I were you, I'd get them before somebody else did..."

Marjorie

Neese chuckled softly. Oh, he didn't think no one would be suspicious of him, however, it still wasn't right - to receive something without giving something in return... he disliked leaving the scales unbalanced.

"Tomatoes?" Neese looked at her oddly. "I wasn't looking for lunch, child... but I suppose I shouldn't expect much for a free favor." He shrugged and turned away from her, and started walking off. He supposed he'd be left to his own devices to find his long-lost oath keeper.

SanctifiedSavage

The school, if it could loosely be called that, was by and large a mystery to her. While she was certainly there of her own volition, and part of her was happy that they were away from the homeland, another part of her was fully aware she was a fish out of water. Hells, she was a fish that had been tossed in the forest and told to fly. The things that happened in the place, the people that were there, and the subjects being studied were just not... what Kassandra was equipped to deal with.

That being said, she had taken an oath to take care of her friend and if this was where he needed to be, then... that's where she was going to be too. Kassandra was a martially minded woman and much preferred swinging her sword at both things, and problems, but there were a couple of classes that had to do with enchantments and the use of them in combat. Particularly the runic one passed down through her family, which a sparse few found to be fascinating. Kassandra was a little proud of it, but it was a quiet pride. Not something she wandered around boasting about.

Be that as it stood, she was dressed down for the afternoon and idly making her way through the halls. She'd been asked to retrieve a couple of books for study from a library her friend had been asked to no longer go in after an accident. Such things had been happening to Val his whole life. The curse, as it were. While Kassandra wasn't inclined to believe that someone could have their entire life ruined so thoroughly, and certainly believed there was a way through all this, she was also smart enough to know when to bow to more knowledgeable minds.

Since she hadn't had classes herself yet, she was just in her tanktop, boots, and pants. Something she rather regretted when she spotted something decidedly unhuman in the halls. Kassanda didn't have anything against other races, or cultures, but when a wandering plant was making its way toward her, she just happened to feel a little safer with a sword. Or a couple pieces of armor.

Best to leave such oddities alone, though.

Marjorie

A sword. Neese would have laughed at the thought if he'd known it, what a human reaction. He didn't alter his path toward the woman though. He cocked his head at her, and smiled. "You look rather out of place in this place of scholarship... you rather look the sort that prefers to break things." He chuckled softly. His movements not quite natural, too smooth and fluid, he nearly glided across the floor.

"Not one to follow the rules, either, hum?" He grinned, clearly enjoying the fact as he touched the hem of her oddly small shirt. It was revealing for people of this culture, not that he cared or minded. Neese, after all, was dressed in not but a loin cloth.

"Perhaps you could assist me? I seem to have lost someone." Well not really lost, he knew the subject of his contract was on the school grounds, but locating him more precisely had proven difficult.

@SanctifiedSavage

SanctifiedSavage

She should have known. Kassandra's luck was such that if she didn't want to be involved with something, that something was going to involve itself with her. Even though she was rather non-descript, or so she thought, and had no magical talent to speak of outside of the protection enchantment tattooed onto her body.

It'd have been rude to ignore the creature and, no matter how much she might not want to deal with whatever was going on, Kassandra wasn't rude. Even so, she'd really wished she had her sword instead of the books she was presently carrying. It might not have helped and she wouldn't readily brandish it toward someone, or something, that was just talking to her but it made her feel better.

The grin didn't inspire a similar response in the Knight, but neither was she upset it was talking to her. At least, not outwardly. Kassandra's expression was carefully neutral. The sort of mask Knights were taught to wear around nobility they either didn't like or knew nothing about. When the plant thing reached out to touch her, Kassandra did shift subtly to make it clear she didn't want to be touched, but it was a smooth, slow movement. There was a fine line between don't do that and trying not to be offensive, since she knew nothing of what she was dealing with.

When asked if she could assist the plant creature, Kassandra glanced up and down the hall. Clearly making it apparent that she was confused it was asking her. Of all the people in the place to ask, Kassandra didn't think she'd be one but... "I'm not sure I can help you find who you are looking for," she replied honestly. Whomever said plant-creature was looking for must be as exotically strange as it was, but she'd humor the question if only because it was the polite thing to do. Manners were answered with manners.

@Marjorie

Marjorie

Neese chuckled softly. He didn't pull his hand back when the woman shifted, displeased with his overly familiar attitude. "No, you don't fit these people... but you fit another." His long, slender fingers continued reaching for her, stretching out now to brush along the tattooing on her arm. "And more like me than them, I think... In some ways at least."

He paused then looked at her directly.

"Oath keeper."

He pulled his fingers back and tapped his chin. "That's an interesting magic on you," he said, "I'm Arlan. You could call me the Lord of Oarhs. I am looking for the subject of a contract of mine.

"A young Torverath."

@SanctifiedSavage