Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Boats and Does [Fox'n'Zoz]

Started by Echtronis, July 18, 2013, 05:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Echtronis

Maedoc just about had his fill with boats. Maybe it was the rocking, maybe it was the smell of fish guts, maybe he just missed seeing green; whatever it was, the young buck was more than eager to take a leap from the final river boat that took him deep into the mainland. He gave a high wave of farewell to the boatmen, who didn't seem to really care what Maedoc did at this point. Having nothing in the way of gold, the young Pathfinder had offered a trade of providing them some insight in the current migration of the local river fish, which was simple enough; the river here had a gentle, giving spirit and provided him the information he needed for the exchange. Maedoc found that slightly surprising, as he saw that the river flowed to the southwest and fed into a massive city. "Ketra", it was called by the folk here. The buck took one last look to the east from where he sailed, and took in the beauty of the rising sun sending fiery sparkles across the broad river. He thought to capture the scene, but this was no time for painting. Indeed, Maedoc was very excited to finally meet his contact.

Darya, the famed musician, it had been so long since he heard the mystical sounds from her aulos she was known for. They were still but fawn when they last met, even then her skill with the instrument was the talk amonst many circles. Somehow, he was not certain, she had known of Maedoc's issue between the Pathfinders and the Theocrats, and had informed him of a lead to the solution to this problem, though it had been so far away, and, taking a look at and old cloth map of the continent, still had so much ground to cover still.  Yet, according to the correspondence between their wind-carried messages between Darnya and himself, the musician wanted to come along for the trek. Perhaps it was to learn new songs for her path, but Maedoc selfishly was happy that he would not make the long trip alone.

But now he was here, in Ketra, the furthest you could get into the continent on water, where the two had agreed to meet to begin their journey together. The problem was, he wasn't quite sure exactly how to find her. That part had been rather cryptic, and as their locations changed, it became extremely difficult to send word over the winds. Still, perhaps it wouldn't prove too difficult; the city was large but it judging by the odd looks he received from the militant guardians of the city, as well as some of the other denizens of this place, there couldn't of been too many that would fit the description of a doe damhnait.

Maedoc unfastened his hood, and looked to his sunlit surroundings of shaped wood and stone. He puffed his chest a bit, and reassured himself of what this was all for. A journey, a great journey, that would change the way his beloved damhnait lived amongst themselves. He would make history, him and Darya, wherever she was, and their tale would be told for generations to come. Maedoc took in a deep breath of the morning air, beaming with courageousness.

By the gods why did it smell so bad here?

zozee9

Darya walked around, basking in the morning sun as her ears twitched at all the surrounding noise. It was so loud in the city and she was having troubles tuning the sounds out. Even still, she was much better at it then when she had first arrived in Ketra one week beforehand. Since then, she had explored much of the town, looked through the stores, and had added to the racket by playing music for some kids. While the adults of the town still looked at her oddly, lots of kids would run up to her laughing and feel her furry legs. It always made her smile.

Her ears focused on the sound of river water as she made her way to the docks. Even without using her hearing, she knew how to get to her destination. She had wandered there a few times a day, just to check that Maedoc hadn't arrived early. But he believed that he would be arriving today, if nothing was delayed. It had been so many years since she had last seen him... and they had barely talked even then. She had spent most of that time hiding behind her mother's legs with the exception of the couple of songs she shyly played for him. Darya hadn't liked strangers very much then and even though her mom had told her that he was a kid just like her, he was so much bigger. The three years of difference was enough to intimidate her at the time.

And yet something about him had always fascinated her. She had heard about his beautiful pieces of art and longed to see them, but never found courage to go up to him and ask. As time passed, she got older and started to forget about him, especially when he moved away from their village. Then she heard about the controversy surrounding him. People were calling him a Pathfinder, something scorned upon in their species. But she had heard many tales  about a far off woman named Liarri and believed that maybe she could help him. After all, she knew the boy she had met from her childhood wasn't a betrayer. The expression on his face when she had played him music all those years ago... the expression of peace and calmness... there was no way that face would purposefully harm anybody.

So she sent him a message explaining the story about Liarri only to get a message back saying that he planned to go to find her. Now that she was nineteen, free to do what she wanted, and more bold than when they first met, Darya invited herself along. She told Maedoc to meet her at Ketra as soon as he could. Her village was close to Ketra, so she knew her journey wouldn't take long. Nonetheless, she left immediately. After all, she had never travelled alone before and was excited for the journey.

That was part of the reason she had decided to go along: the excitement. She had also gone to spread her music and learn new music. The other reason she had decided to go, however, was because Maedoc was going. He had always fascinated her and now she had a chance to get to know him. Plus, maybe she could finally write a bard's tale of her own.

So when Darya saw him at the dock, it took her a few seconds to compose herself. He looked so different than when they had last met. She hadn't expected him to be so attractive. He had grown up well, with his widened chest and new antlers. He was a cute fawn, but nothing like the buck she saw before her. Suddenly she worried about how she would look to him. Darya had been told by many that she had matured beautifully, which was true, but she was modest and believed herself average.

After that brief second of thinking, Darya calmly walked up to Maedoc. She was aware that they were drawing in attention (people were thrown off enough by one damhnait in the town), but she did her best to ignore it. Instead, she put on a lovely smile, curtsied, and said, "Pleasure to see you again, Maedoc."
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

Art Thread: Here! | deviantArt Profile: Here <3

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

Echtronis

Maedoc had his nose in the map he carried when the sweet voice of a songstress roused his attention. Looking up from it, his ears perked to a rigid stand, and his large eyes matched the apparent surprise. "Darya!" He awkwardly called out when he saw her, and moved quickly to shorten the distance between them, and, map in hand, swept his old childhood friend in a hearty embrace.

"Ah! How lucky I am that you had thought to be here when I arrived!" Hands on her shoulders, he pulled them from the embrace to get a look at her with a beaming smile. There was a sudden strike of surprise in his expression that quickly returned to its joviality. Darya had indeed grown to be a beautiful doe, and perhaps, he thought, her fame had grown from not solely her musical talent., and Maedoc suppressed a wave of embarrassment for having grabbed her so quickly without thought. "The seasons certainly have brought you up well, Darya, I hardly recognize you!" Though he thought he was being tactful, he hoped she did not take that as a suggestion that he had thought her ugly as a child.

He gestured to the city before them. "Have you been in Ketra long? Do you know where we are to go from here? What's the city like? How is your family? I have so many questions!" Indeed he did, and he began to spout more. He waved the map in his hand as he spoke, and the strange assortment of oddities he hung from his antlers made a bit of a silly dance as he went on.

"Oh it is so good to see you again, old friend!" he would conclude his prattling with, his eyes eagerly bouncing between the two of hers as he waited to hear her speak more. There were more than enough dockworkers making wide berths around the odd scene, some rudely suggesting to get out the way, though Maedoc did not seem to take notice.

zozee9

Darya smiled when Maedoc said her name, but was caught off guard when he hugged her. With a simple laugh, however, she wrapped her arms around him. To others watching, she thought, it might seem as if they were siblings or close friends or perhaps even lovers. But in truth, they weren't much more than strangers who had shared a moment of magic as children.

She modestly smiled as he complimented her, not sure how to reply. Luckily, she didn't have to. He continued talking, asking more and more questions. She watched the trinkets on his antlers fly about and his map move with his hands and could see the amazement and curiosity in Maedoc's voice. When he finished talking, Darya started laughing at the absurdity of it all. It was as if they were best friends who hadn't seen each other in ages, and yet that was hardly the case. But, Darya thought was a sense of hope, perhaps they could become best friends with this journey.

Still laughing wholeheartedly, Darya replied, "One question at a time! One question at a time! We'll have plenty of time to talk. But it is lovely to see you as well!" Finally thinking of a response to his previous remark, her laughter died out and was instead replaced with a lovely smile while she said, "And thank you for the compliment, I'd be lying if I said you hadn't grown nicely as well! I barely recognized you myself." Then, looking around as if she was suspicious, she whispered, "I'm glad I found you. As you can see, this town is plagued with damhnait and it was super hard to pick you out from the crowd." Then Darya giggled at her own joke, finding herself awfully amusing.
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

Art Thread: Here! | deviantArt Profile: Here <3

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.