Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Chasing Demons [Ethereal]

Started by Zero, January 29, 2015, 06:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

The first thing Joss noticed was that his mouth was dry and his tongue felt fuzzy, as if covered in a disgusting layer of felt. What an unpleasant feeling to wake up to. The next was worse, as a great pounding began in his head. His nose detected the vile aroma of rubbish, piss, vomit, and alcohol. What a bloody mess. Please tell him he wasn't laying in a pile of a combination of those things. No, no...he was laying on something cold and hard, and his face furrowed in displeasure as he wondered where the heck he was.

Finally Joss Landon pried sleep-crusted eyes open to witness a blurry and disorienting landscape. Looks like he'd slept the day away in a narrow alley crammed between a rowdy tavern and whatever the hell this other building was. It was already dusk, he must have been out all day long. The last thing he remembered was being a patron of said seedy tavern, oh no, wait, he remembered now. What a fight! Gingerly he reached up to lightly touch his face and winced. His lips and knuckles were split and swollen, his cheek was heavily bruised, and there was tenderness about some of his ribs as he cautiously rolled to his stomach before staggering to his feet.

They must have thrown him out into the alley, where he must have passed out. The altercation had happened near dawn, so after being up all night it was no wonder he'd blacked out all day. Reaching inside his coat he pulled out his cigarette case, flipping it open he gazed at the carefully rolled sticks of tobacco before selecting one and placing it between his lips. Snapping the case shut and putting it away, he fished a match from the same pocket and struck it against the side of the tavern before lighting up.

The first draw burned his throat and lungs, but in a familiar and delicious way. Mouth was still annoyingly dry and his tongue still felt disgusting. Sauntering from the alley he re-entered the place he'd been unceremoniously thrown out of the night before. He tossed a few coppers on the bar and demanded a shot of whiskey. The man behind the bar glowered at him, warned him not to cause anymore trouble, but did get him his drink, so what did Joss care? With a tilt of his head he threw back the shot as soon as it arrived, and thankfully his mouth felt and tasted infinitely better. He almost ordered another before jerking his head to stare in the direction of a surge of demonic energy.

After a few moments he tilted his head, calculating, wondering. Finally he looked longingly at his empty glass, but knew it was his family obligation to go check out what the hell was going on. Just his luck.

Exiting the tavern, he returned to the alley and pulled out a knife, making a quick, shallow cut to his hand, blood oozed over his skin and he drew a rune on the side of the building, the drawing began to move, then glow as Joss pressed his hand over it, eyes fluttering closed as he felt the power surging into him. Ancient, raw power the made his skin crawl and his stomach roil in disgust and delight both. When the rune was drained it disappeared and Joss launched himself straight upwards before landing on the roof of the building.

Jumping across the rooftops, he made a beeline for where that demonic energy had been released. He followed the energy to an auction house and watched from a nearby roof as guards swarmed the place, he could hear them quite clearly, despite the difference, as they examined the dead. Whatever demon had caused this was gone from here. Right now power coursed through him, raw, demonic power that made him feel more alive than he ever did when not holding the evil power that his family was cursed with. That power wouldn't last. He'd use it all up quickly if it came to a fight, but that was what his job and life were all about, wasn't it? A balancing act between power and destruction.

He continued on his way, searching for the prey he just knew was out there waiting for him.

Ethereal-Star

The destruction left in the demon's wake was quite large, attracting a number of curious parties to the scene, both in rapt fascination and fear at what had occurred. The guards were doing their best to keep those onlookers at bay as well as continue to examine the onslaught that had transpired here. There was one person who stuck out from the crowd in a very evident way, red flame hair pulled back in a tight ponytail, pointed ears poking out from her hair, red gold armor that shone in the dying light of day as she talked with a nearby guard, likely the head guard. Numerous scars could be seen on her face but light, coppery tan skin was still evident underneath it all.

Elowen carried her shield and morningstar with fierce confidence as she spoke with the guard, and also assessing the damage that had been done. "I thank you for your help, Miss Elowen. I truly do not know what we would have done if you were not there to help us out. Despite the fact many lives were lost this day, I fear many more would have been lost if you had not shown up when you did. This slaughter is..." the guard paused, clearly disturbed by the carnage all around him. "It is a serious blow we have taken, and I don't think we're in the clear yet. That fiend will be back, I'm sure of it."

''At least the foul monster is away from here licking its wounds. Although, I would have most loved to kill it for good, not merely injured it." Elowen growled under her breath some. "It will most definitely rue the day it came here, I can assure you this!" Curling her fingers more tightly around her weapon 'Demon's Bane', the sun elf swore to herself she would hunt this beast down if it was the last thing she did. ''These things are a disease to the world. I will do everything in my power to help ensure the people's safety. You have my most sincerest word on this."

"I don't doubt it. Excuse me, for I must see to this devastation." And with that, he turned away from the sun elf as Elowen sighed in both anger and exasperation. She had almost had the foul monster! If it hadn't deflected that last blow... She sighed some more, shaking her head and clenching her teeth. At least she had weakened it severely. But to her that wasn't good enough. It would just come back more prepared now. It mattered not to Elowen. She would kill it, and any of its friends it brought along for the ride.

Of course, the sun elf wasn't without her own wounds. The burns on her left hand stung like the dickens and she was sure she had strained many muscles in her arms and legs. Various cuts and abrasions also marked her features and upper arms too. Blood also poured down from a deep cut in her lower lip and she angrily wiped the blood away with a wrist. Her armor had taken most of the damage though, the brunt of which she had blocked with her magical shield. While Elowen was injured, she would live. After all she had survived much worse than this. She could not say the same for the dead bodies that surrounded the place, faces forever frozen in anguish and pain.

Elowen's eyes blazed in rage and out of desperation, she kicked a rock on the ground with such force, it went flying quite a ways from where she stood. A small crash could soon be heard as the rock collided with glass somewhere down the street. But Elowen couldn't bring herself to care. If the demon had its way, broken glass would be the least of the people's worries. The sun elf warrior and demon hunter turned down the street, eyes facing forward in fierce determination. She had work to do and nothing was going to stand in her way.

Elowen stalked off in a huff, looking for all the world in that moment a powerful avenger and a protector of all that was good. For better or worse, this destruction would cease to continue if Elowen had anything to say about it, which she most certainly did.

Zero

Joss was still leaping from rooftop to rooftop, doggedly pursuing the fleeing demon. There were signs that the monster was hurt, and he wondered about that. Had the guards back there actually managed to do something against the foul creature? The presence of Elowen had completely escaped him, going unnoticed since he had not bothered to stay for very long to actually observe the scene of the attack. Actually assessing the situation would have taken too much time. Joss had a firm policy about dealing with demons that consisted of kill them first, ask questions later. Or not at all. Okay, okay...kill demons first, then get something to drink and start a bar brawl. That was more up his alley.

Getting distracted by thoughts of a nice draft of ale or mead, Joss was forced to skid to a halt abruptly, nearly tumbling off the last rooftop. Below him the demon had backed itself into a corner and was waiting for him. What a grotesque looking beast! Sure, some demons could make themselves look alright, but apparently this thing was either incapable or just didn't bother. Not a particularly powerful or high-ranking demon, he would guess. Lucky for him the damn thing was already weakened!

Unfortunately, Joss could also feel the power he'd conjured waning. He should probably consume another rune before engaging in an actual fight. Even more unfortunately the demon didn't seem content or polite enough to wait for the hunter to recharge. Joss barely was able to leap out of the way in time as the hulking creature struck, trying to crush him with a massive clawed-hand-paw-thing.

Ethereal-Star

Hearing the sounds of a commotion somewhere up ahead, an inhuman roar filling the air, the sun elf warrior quickened her pace, face grim. Running at full speed, she soon arrived to the scene and saw the demon there that she had injured. Got you now, you bastard.

Without further delay, she charged the ugly creature with gnarled horns sticking up all over its hellish body, Demon's Bane alight with holy fire and holy light. Letting out her own battle cry, Elowen failed to notice the presence of the demon-touched human on the rooftop, her attention solely on the evil hell spawn she hunted. It wouldn't get away this time, that was for sure.

Zero

The sound of the roaring was so terrible that Joss found himself clapping his hands over his ears to drown the unearthly sound out as much as possible. It had raised a hellish limb to strike at him again, but roared furiously as a brilliant, painful light pulsed to life suddenly. Such wholesome power actually staggered Joss for a moment, him stumbling to one knee.

Thankfully the demon's attention turned from him to this woman that had appeared out of nowhere. Maybe the one that had injured the beast in the first place? That seemed likely. As the creature turned to swipe at the new attacker, Joss seized the opportunity to recover. Jumping back to his feet, he drew his small ritual knife and sliced open his palm, chanting softly in demonic as the blood flowed.

A flick of his wrist and a wicked curved scythe appeared in his hands. Time to do some reaping. It wasn't all that often that he'd have another hunter helping take down his prey, but Joss was willing to share - plenty of demon hide to go around. Feeling a small renewal of energy, he charged right into the fray.

Ethereal-Star

Bringing up her shield to deflect the attack, the demon's clawed hand bounced harmlessly off the red-gold of the shield the sun elf carried, creating bright sparks in the air with the collision of claw upon metal. Her hit had weakened the creature further but at the same time it also seemed to further enrage it.

With unearthly strength, the demon lashed out again which once more she dodged and began to strike it again with Demon's Bane. However, its large monstrosity of a tail came up and smacked Elowen with such force it not only stunned her but threw her back against the wall of the nearby building. Her head collided with the wall with a loud thud! and she sat there dazed for a couple moments before getting up and swaying slightly on her feet.

Olive green eyes blazed and Elowen charged back into the fight, weapon raised intending to deal it a crushing blow it would never recover from. The other person she saw battling the demon alongside her, but she couldn't for obvious reasons focus on them. All she knew was they too were fighting the beast. And for now, that was good enough for her.

Zero

Joss had nearly been hit on the back swing of that tail, only just stepping out of the way. The demon might have gone after Elowen in those few moments she lay stunned, but as soon as the beast moved in her direction Joss had brought the scythe to slash across the creature's flank, causing a blood curdling roar to be released.

It swung around and slashed at Joss, but he leaped in the air, out of the beast's reach. The frustrated demon turned back to face the charging Elowen with rage-filled eyes. With it's back to him, Joss took a running leap onto the creature's back, raising his scythe and bringing it down, burying it in the demon's back.

The beast contorted, lifting it's body and twisting as it screamed in pain and fury. Joss hung on, using the embedded scythe to do so. His move had caused the creature to expose it's vulnerable underside to Elowen's holy blade.

Ethereal-Star

With not a second to waste, Elowen took the given opportunity to deal it the final blow, a crushing assault of spiked metal upon demon flesh that would surely render it dead for good. Holy fire and light flashed brilliantly as it made its impact, crushing the beast's belly with such extreme measures, its guts were literally spilled upon the ground.

The demon fell face forward, the sun elf leaping out of the way as it crashed upon the ground and she jumped onto its back, dealing another hit for good measure to make sure it died. It began to twitch violently as it lay there dying, Elowen not ceasing in her attacks as she brought Demon's Bane down again...

Zero

Joss had to cling to his embedded scythe for dear life as the blow to the belly of the beast rocked him before the defeated beast fell forward. As soon as it was down he pulled his blade from the monster's back, with no small effort of will, because the curved metal had gone deep. Not bad for an impromptu hunt, if he did say so himself.

Of course the strange woman that had shown up to help slaughter the creature didn't seem content with the death throes of the dying creature. Joss had dropped from the demon to the ground, scythe held with blade down as he observed the tall elf-looking warrior woman strike again.

"Little overkill there, ain't it? The thing's dead as a doornail."

Ethereal-Star

Swinging her morningstar at the dead demon, it gave a final shudder as it died for good. Elowen bashed its head in for extra good measure and then stood back to examine her handiwork, nodding once grimly, Demon's Bane glowing brightly at her side. Hard, determined eyes glared at Joss and she spat out, "It never hurts to make doubly sure that my work is done."

Kicking the creature, she spat on it in hatred, muttering, "Filthy vermin. A million painful deaths wouldn't be enough for your kind."

Looking over to Joss, the sun elf gave him a once-over before she expressed her gratitude. "And thanks for the help. Who are you by the way?" There was something about this man, girly looking as he was, that made her uneasy but she didn't know what. Demon's Bane seemed to glow brighter in his presence and Elowen glanced down at it, then back up at him, frowning. Her eyes narrowed in suspicion.

Zero

By now Joss really wasn't sure what to make of this odd elf woman. He'd lifted a hand to shield his eyes partially from the light her stupid weapon was giving off. The holy glow didn't hurt necessarily, but it kind of made his skin crawl and tingle in an unpleasant way. It was obnoxious and annoying, that was for sure.

The scythe still remained in a neutral and non-threatening position, the demonic weapon's blade resting idly on the ground, but Joss's grip tightened slightly. For whatever reason, he suspected that things were about to go off the deep end. Just what he didn't need. Especially the way she was scowling all hateful at him like that with her squinty, narrow eyes.

"Joss Landon, demon hunter and all that." The introduction was given causally, as if this was the most uninteresting thing he'd done all day - which it kind of was, actually if he thought about it. Act cool, act cool...

Ethereal-Star

Elowen continued to narrow her eyes at him suspiciously, before her gaze dropped to the scythe he carried. "Demon hunter, hm?" the sun elf warrior challenged him, a steely edge to her voice. "Care to explain why you're wielding a weapon of that nature?" Indicating her head to his wicked looking demonic scythe.

"Normally those kinds of weapons are used by the filth I just killed here." Nodding her head behind her where the demon corpse lay. Narrowing her eyes at him again, Elowen went on. "Unless there's something I should be aware of? Speak quickly!"

Zero

"Excuse me - that you just killed? I seem to recall you had a little help with that." No way was she taking all the credit here! "And for your information, I wield a weapon like this because I am a demoncrafter. It's what I do."

Yes, hunt demons using there own power against them. It was genius really. His family had been doing it for generations - since the first demon hunter in his line. This was more aggravation that he really needed. Honestly, you do the world a favor by ridding it of a demon and people like this crazy woman had to ride him about his methods. The nerve of some people!

He flicked his wrists and the scythe disappeared in a wisp of dark energy. "There, put it away, happy now?"

Ethereal-Star

The sun elf was not happy, quite the opposite really. "You're no better than the demon filth in which I hunt." she snarled at him. "Give me one good reason why I shouldn't kill you where you stand!"

Elowen readied her weapon to attack, a holy yellowish glow surrounding the head of the morningstar as she hefted it threateningly in her hands while glaring at the demon crafter venomously. She was more than capable of making good on her threat if he didn't give a satisfactory answer. The only reason she wasn't charging at him now was because he had indeed helped slay a demon that had been attacking the town and he was human as well. The one thing that confused her was why he seemed to be fighting their ilk and not on their side. The sun elf supposed she would find out soon enough.

Zero

"One good reason? I could think of fifty lady! For starters, how about I just helped you kill a fucking demon? Is that not a good reason? I told you I am a demon hunter." Joss was more than a little on edge as he eyed that glowing weapon of hers with narrowed eyes. That thing would hurt. A lot. Not what he needed today. At all.

He'd have to bolt quick if she started swinging it. The energy he'd siphoned earlier had pretty much all been used up. It would be hard to drain another blood rune while trying to dodge a psychotic elf woman. Running seemed like the best option in the event of an attack. Joss figured he might have enough juice left to out run some warrior chick.

Ethereal-Star

The side of Elowen's jaw twitched as she contemplated on whether to further listen to him, or hit him with Demon's Bane. Standing there, weapon raised, the sun elf thought quickly. He had helped her slay a demon, so Elowen had to give him points there. However his methods were highly questionable, and the warrior once again narrowed her eyes at him.

"Explain to me this, demon hunter. If that is indeed what you are, and this is simply not some tricky ploy on your part. If you do hunt demons for the good of the world, why are you using their weapons to do it? Seems like folly to me." Elowen's glare never once faltered in its intensity, seeming to burn into him with a mighty fire of justice, still ready to attack if needed.

Zero

"Well we can't all be light-wielding warriors of angel fart sparkles, okay? I work with what I got, lady. Cut me some slack here." Joss was getting a little impatient with this pointy-eared, self-righteous, shit-for-brains bitch. If she was too stubborn or ignorant to know that they weren't actually enemies, then he was just going to have to make a run for it.

Running definitely seemed like a good option at this point. He did not want to get maimed by a holy weapon.

Ethereal-Star

"That is normally how demons are slain. With holy weapons." she addressed him coldly.

Elowen looked him over again and sneered. "And how am I to know that you won't turn such evil weaponry on an innocent person?" she countered. "Such armament has a tendency to take over the minds of whomever wields them. It is only a matter of time before that happens. Perhaps I should just kill-"

The sun elf's words were cut off then suddenly by a loud piercing scream several feet away around the corner, back the way she'd come. Her head swiveled that way suddenly, elven ears pricking the air to catch the sound. Turning to look back at Joss, Elowen narrowed her eyes at him again before taking off in the direction of the scream, crimson red hair swaying behind her back tied up in a tight ponytail.