Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

I'd rather stand tall than live on my knees. [Glob!] [m]

Started by Rhindeer, March 17, 2015, 11:21:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

"Well..." Khero said, pushing back against the surge of anger she felt. Yeah, he wasn't fooling her! He didn't give a shit about her siblings or her plight! But she ignored it, because it didn't matter. She'd be gone before he knew it, and she'd find her family again. Instead, she groped for humor.

"Gotta admit, so far, my expectations have been exceeded." She lifted her wine glass. "This is damned good wine."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

Maybe somebody less socially astute as Elaros wouldn't have noticed, but the Drakkon bedded women for sport. The nuances didn't escape him. The truth was that he really did care. Of course, there wasn't much he believed he could do, but he cared.

After all, why would he have asked if he didn't?

His lips curled into a smile, more to acknowledge Khero's joke than anything else.

"It's my usual drink. Not too expensive, but it's robust enough that I can store it mostly anywhere without worrying about it."

Rhindeer

"Yeaaah, my usual drink was ale that tastes like stale cat piss. Not that I'd know what that tastes like. Just sayin', if I ever had to imagine what it might taste like fer some odd reason, it'd be that ale. And that was a treat."

Khero finished off half her glass. She was used to gulping down bad ale before she got stuck on the flavor, not savoring sweet wine. Then again, she wasn't used to savoring anything. There wasn't the time. If you nabbed food, you had better eat it fast while you could, before someone else saw you had something and took it from you.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

Elaros shuddered at her description.

If there was one thing he hated, it was a bad drink. Because unlike bad food, a bad drink looked like any other, and a bad drink stuck.

He was quiet, tapping his claw against his wine glass, before he suddenly perked up.

"I'll be traveling to Serendipity in a few months for business. I thought you'd appreciate the news."

Rhindeer

"Really?"

That got Khero's attention, and she swung around to face him, eyebrows raised and eyes wide. If that was true, that changed matters significantly.

"What city? Cerenis? Will I be goin' with ya?"

DaGlobster

Elaros nodded.

"Arca. And yes, you'll be going with me. I move from house to house every few months. None of them are particularly big, but I own one in every capital."

Rhindeer

Arca. That wasn't far from Cerenis. Well, it was farther than she'd ever traveled on foot, as she'd never been beyond Cerenis, but it certainly wasn't as far as the distance between Adela and Serendipity!

Khero's mind raced, and she came to a decision. It wasn't one she particularly liked, but it was the only one that made sense.

She'd remain a slave for now. She'd play her part. She'd wait it out, and wait until they got to Arca, and then she'd split. It would be safer that way; if she escaped here, where would she go? She didn't know Adela or its people, she had nothing to her name, and she stuck out like a sore thumb. She'd no doubt be recaptured, but even if she managed to evade notice, what then? She'd have to travel a long, dangerous distance, alone, back to Cerenis, across two countries, practically!

But if she just endured it for now, she'd be back in her own country, a place she knew. She could escape, and she could make it back to Cerenis, and do it all safely. Or, well, safer than her first half-cocked plan.

She kept her expression neutral, though, and sipped down the remainder of her wine. "Huh. Arca. Never been there. Ya sure sound like ya get around a lot."

DaGlobster

"Oh, I do. I've been to Thanatos, Essyrn, Connlaoth. All those wondrous locations. I've even attended a ball in Hellvion, in the Grand Duke's honor. It was quite...interesting."

The carriage came to a slow stop, and Elaros glanced out the window. He smiled, giving Khero a glimpse of his polished and curved white fangs, which looked so white and pure they could have been decorative ivory. They certainly weren't the teeth of a maneater.

"Ah, our first stop! We need to get you out of those rags and into something proper to wear around the house. Luna left behind some clothing, but the things she preferred to wear were, erm...hardly conservative. She had a fancy for Essyrni swimwear, you see. But I'm digressing again. After you, Khero."

Rhindeer

Khero caught the glimmer of those fangs, and while immaculately clean, they still made her breath catch. What could she say? She was a squishy human in a den of dragon-people!

"Essyrni swimwear?" Khero repeated, as she slipped past the knees of the guards and Elaros himself, trying not to jostle them, and trying to keep herself covered. The raggedy tunic covered her, but it only came down to her knees, and exposing that much leg felt indecent. She hopped down to the ground and straightened it out, tugging it down as far as it wound go.

"Don't the Essyrni wear like...nothin'?"

DaGlobster

"Almost, yes. Their swimwear only covers the unmentionables, although some, like the ones I have stored back at home, come with veils that silhouette the body quite nicely. They're almost like really comfortable dresses."

Elaros came down behind Khero, and motioned for his guards to stay behind in the carriage.

"Of course, a proper, down-to-the-floor dress is out of the question for you. You'll need a few sets of clothing that are light and comfortable. Something you can wear all day, you know?"

Rhindeer

"If I'm to be perfectly honest...I ain't worn a dress since I was a kid," Khero said, still tugging awkwardly at her tunic.

"Weren't safe. I mean, lookin' like a girl weren't safe. Safer to look like a boy, ya know?" And breeches were better for sneaking about, anyway, and making a quick run for it. Dresses would just get snagged on something or tangled around her legs. She'd dressed her sister the same way, in pants, and cut her hair short for the same reasons. And she'd given her a boy name to use when they were in public together.

"Don't got anythin' against 'em, mind ya. As long as it's decent, I'm game."

DaGlobster

"Oh, I understand. Well, this store should have skirts and other pieces of clothing more...comfortable than a dress. Come on inside."

Elaros beckoned after himself with a finger as he opened the door and entered. The inside was that of a rather classy weaver's store, stocking all kinds of clothes made from a wide range of comfortable materials. The shopkeep, who looked up at them with a bored stare, didn't seem to care less what Elaros was.

"Just pick out three outfits. I'll be waiting."

Rhindeer

Stepping inside the store, Khero couldn't help it.

Her jaw dropped, and her eyes lit up with amazement.

The place may not have been selling the fanciest things, but they were fancier than anything Khero had worn since...gods knew when. All her clothes had been secondhand, dug out of rubbish heaps and worn until they were threadbare and patched up, again and again, when they could be repaired. All her shoes she'd worn until they had holes in the soles, and most of the time she'd gone without.

She got to pick things out? Whatever she wanted?

And then, abruptly, she caught herself--caught herself getting sucked in, getting excited about this! For one split second, she'd forgotten that she was a slave, bought and owned, and this dragon-man wasn't actually a friend. He owned her. And he'd let her know that one day he hoped to bed her.

The excitement in her eyes quickly died, and she cleared her throat awkwardly and gave her "master" a nod and a forced smile. "Thank you," she said. "I, ah...wow. Not really sure where to start. I've never gotten to do somethin' like this. Let's see..."

It was awkward, balancing her own anger over the situation with the genuine gratitude she felt that she'd, at the very least, gotten purchased by someone that, so far, seemed kind. She still wasn't ready to drop her guard, though; it could be a public facade, and it was always best to prepare for the worst. Still, she moved to examine the fabrics and already made items, feeling almost guilty to touch them, since it had been some time since she'd had a bath.

Finally, though, she returned to her master with an armful of clothing: three long skirts of various colors, with intricate, embroidered patterns along the hems, coupled with bodices and long-sleeved shirts that could be worn with the bodices. She held them out to him, eyebrow quirked in question.

DaGlobster

Elaros saw that, that infinitesimally small moment of pure happiness and excitement that coursed through Khero. Really, it was one of the things he strived to see. He rather enjoyed seeing his slaves smile genuinely, because really, when was the last time any slave smiled genuinely?

Of course, she forced it away. A natural response, really. She was still conflicted, after all. He watched her thumb through the various kinds of clothing, silently judging her tastes and eye for clothing.

When she brought her choicer over Elaros stepped over, and looked down at Khero's clothing selection. He smiled.

"You have fine tastes, Khero. Simple, yet elegant. I'm sure you'll look quite charming in them," he said. He took the bundle of clothing into his own hands and he walked over to the counter. The man looked at the clothing, looked at Elaros, looked at Khero, and then back to Elaros, before blinking.

"four-hundred fifty."

Child's play for Elaros. He filled out another bank note, and the man raised an eyebrow at Elaros. Elaros smiled.

"The extra ten's to get it wrapped up in paper."

The man nodded, and got to work wrapping up the sets of clothing. Elaros glanced back down to Khero, to see what she was doing.

Rhindeer

...Four hundred fifty?!

When Elaros looked at her, she'd find her gaping at him, open-mouthed. She hadn't realized any of that was that expensive, and he was acting like it may as well cost pebbles when it cost more than the entirety of what she'd spent in her life!

DaGlobster

Elaros's eyes remained on Khero, and he smiled. He adjusted his coat, before looking back to he bored man wrapping up the clothing.

Rhindeer

The dragon-man was still staring at her, and Khero flushed, realizing that, maybe, he was waiting for her to say something.

"Thank you, er, master," she said, the words rolling off her tongue awkwardly. She said it quietly, too, not really wanting the shopkeeper to hear, even though it was obvious by her outfit. Still, admitting it out loud and in public was a little...humiliating.

DaGlobster

"Oh, you don't need to thank me, Khero. It's not like I was going to let you walk around in those filthy rags."

The shopkeep placed the package of clothes down on the counter, and Elaros handed it to Khero. He walked past her, towards the door.

"Come. We're heading home now."

Rhindeer

"Yeah, well, still," Khero said as she took the package and carried it to the carriage. "Yer right, I reckon. That I'm lucky, I mean. This ain't really how I expected things to go. Like, it's a lot, uh...nicer? I'd been workin' myself up expectin' somethin' uglier."

And then she startled, just about dropping the package, and snapped a look at him. "Uh. Uglier situation, I mean. I ain't callin' you ugly! Shit. Anyway, all's I'm sayin', or tryin' to say, is I'm grateful."

Red in the face, fumbling over her words, she turned quickly and bolted back into the carriage.

DaGlobster

"It's nothing, really," Elaros said as he followed her in, taking his seat back.

"I'm going to take care of you, Khero. With time, you may even be considered an equal to me in my household, ff you serve dutifully."

Elaros looked at Khero quite seriously.

"Understand that I do expect you to serve me. I won't force you into anything you don't want to do, but in the end, you're still my servant."