Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Caged but not tamed. [open!]

Started by Rhindeer, July 07, 2016, 12:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

[PM to join! 8D]

Kyori paced the floor of her cage, tail lashing like a striking snake and claws clicking along the dirty floor. It was a busy day at market, and there were too many people crowding around her confines--but very few people bold enough to get too close. She had almost gotten her claws into one foolish human who had pressed in for a closer look, but his reflexes had been solid. Not solid enough that she hadn't taken a chunk out of his tunic; the tatters were crumpled on the floor of her cage.

Her ears rotated, listening. One of the men who had captured her was talking about her in an effort to sell her, listing off her "good" qualities. She was inhumanly strong, great for manual labor, and intelligent enough to follow directions--with the aid of whips and prods, at least. She was also an unrivaled huntress, good for using on game hunts and able to taking down animals far larger than herself. She was also an oddity for personal collections of exotic beasts, capable of turning at least a few heads with her ability to camouflage herself--though one must also take caution with that, considering she could be easy to lose. She could also be a decent guard, if kept on a leash and properly controlled and tamed so she didn't turn on her master.

Oh, and as for the muzzle. Yeah, she spits poison. Best take care with that.

Kyori rolled her eye as she listened but smirked a little, even as the muzzle chaffed. He was doing a terrible job of selling her, since those points only made her sound scary--which she was, and which made her puff with pride. One of those squishy humans would have to be insane to think they could handle her--for she would kill them the first chance she got, and she didn't need her teeth or poison or even her claws to do that.

She would kill this man, too, and his friends, for capturing her. And she would make it a slow death for boasting about it, when in reality they had caught her in a moment of weakness, half dead and nearly frozen in the snow of  her homeland.

And when she returned to her homeland, she wouldn't be there long. She would come back with her people. And they would reign hell on this damned village, if she had anything to say about it.

Which, as their leader, she did.

Another human inched in a little closer to look at her, and she hissed like the savage they thought she was and launched herself at the bars, claws lashing out, the bars trembling as she slammed against them. The human fell back on his ass with a strangled cry, and Kyori nearly doubled over with laughter at his pitiful response, so like prey.

But instead she just growled again, low and deep in her throat, to hide the laughter bubbling up.

Idiots.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Magyar

Bol drifted through the marketplace, observing a shopkeeper rip off unwary tourists, and then another getting stolen from, and a blacksmith pumping his bellows whilst a younger associate tried somewhat awkwardly to sell some quality swords.

Deciding to reward the work, he bought a small shortsword, scaring the younger man in his sudden and quiet approach. After handing off thirty silver pieces, which was a cheap price for a good blade, and tipping an extra ten, he sheathed the overgrown knife, and kept on strolling through. It reminded him a little of Essyrn, if the streets were sandy and dusty, and half the merchants were furry and thickly accented. He certainly looked out of place, with his braided black hair, yellow skin, and general shirtlessness. He enjoyed drawing looks this far up north, seeing the people reason out what exactly he was. Not many thought that he was truly Half-Orc, Half-Elf. They just never thought of it.

Someone scrambled backwards and tripped, trying almost pitifully to escape what looked to be a large cage. Pushing his way through the small gathering of passerby, he saw the bronze and blue feathered creature in the cage. She was beautiful, in a beastly way, the scales and feathers and claws complimenting and clashing with her feminine build and oddly human facial features. Her ears were even pointed, and she possessed small fangs jutting from her upper lip. The tail was unexpected though, and if she weren't somewhat crouched, Bol wouldn't doubt that she was taller than he.

He then saw the man selling her, or trying to. He seemed to be having sour luck, and he knew it, as his commodity lashed out into the crowd whenever they got close enough. Crouching five feet from the cage, he saw her in more detail, reflecting on how her hair had streaks of white and how her slim build also packed lithe muscle. She was thin compared to him, but then, most were.

"How much for the Iannu?" He asked, and raised an eyebrow at the questioning look from the vendor, "I've done my fair share of hunting and trekking. Never thought I'd actually see one and live though. Much less one in a cage. Now how much?"

Rhindeer

...What?

Kyori was still fighting to contain her wicked mirth when a voice rang out and...asked how much she was?

She snapped a look to the source, her one eye squinted against the light, and heard even her captor go silent. The man that approached was not human like the others; Kyori had difficulty telling humans apart, but he stood out immediately with his pointed ears and large frame. Still so hairless, though. Still so tiny. She didn't have to stand up to her full height to see that he was short--at least by Iannu standards, which were the only standards that mattered.

Her lips quirked into a smirk and she began to pace anew, restless. He didn't think he'd see one and live, did he?

Now he'd seen one, and he wouldn't.

Her captor, however, wasn't surprised for long. His face lit up at the yellow man's words, hope shining in his face--she had been a harder sell than he had anticipated; she'd had to listen to his boasting the entire trip, how he'd wagered he'd be rich after this--but he was clearly also doing his best to not appear as excited and hopeful as he felt.

This was his first offer.

"Fourty-five silver!" he said, and though the numbers meant nothing to Kyori, she noticed it had gone down considerably. "Though I'm willing to bargain. She's a rare sort, and these creatures are hard to catch--as I'm sure you know, considering you know how they're called."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Magyar

"Y'know what buddy, I'll make a long term investment." Bolion stood and spoke in a lower tone, as to shield his words from the crowd, "Ten silvers to a gold, yeah? Your currency is slightly different than mine." Rummaging around in his coin purse, he pulled out several small golden disks.

Shooting a look at the Vendor, he continued, "I'll give you ten gold." Watching the man first catch up with the situation, then become elated at the thought of his payment, Bol stepped closer and spoke even lower than previously, "But if she causes trouble, I'll come find you, and I'll either get my money back, or you'll pay me in another way, yeah?"

Stepping back from the man, he held out the money, and waited expectantly for an answer as the Vendor ran through his options.

Rhindeer

That was way too good of an offer to pass up. Did this ignorant brute even know what he was doing? It seemed only fitting to the trapper that the two savages would end up with each other--and as for his threat about finding him should things go wrong, the trapper and his group didn't plan on lingering in Ketra long after this, anyway.

It was a steal.

"Deal!" the man said, fighting hard to contain his elation, before he held his hand out to shake--and to receive his payment. "You won't be disappointed. Bear in mind Iannu are like wild animals, sir. Can't be reasoned with. Only thing they understand is violence. Just like with dogs, you gotta be the alpha."

Once again, Kyori rolled her eye as she listened, even as she kept pacing. She was intensely curious to see how they planned on getting her out of this cage, since they'd only gotten her into it while she was unconscious.

Magyar

Resting on the Bolion's back was an heirloom of a dying elven family. A long handled longsword, with a curved blade and reverse curve on the handle, this was not a normal sword, but then unusual weapons weren't too rare in themselves. This blade, however, was ancient elven in make, and still held the sharpness and balance it had when it was first crafted almost five hundred and fifty years before Bolion was even born. It was a fearsome weapon, when used properly in battle, and greatly respected by those who knew of it's true nature. It was this weapon than Bol swung over his shoulder, twirled once for fun, and lopped off the right quarter of the cage's roof, bars, and floor, cleaving into the dirt.

Sheathing his blade, and smiling impishly at the plain shock on the Vendor's face, he walked around to the open side, and beckoned to the crouching Iannu.
"Come on, we've places to be."

Rhindeer

The vendor wasn't the only one shocked.

The blade went up and came back down--and Kyori let out a high pitched yelp of surprise when the bloody thing cleaved clear through her cage, bars and all, like it was made of flesh and fat and not steel and wood. It was so unexpected, and so random to her, that to her shame she nearly fell backwards in her surprise as she scrambled out of the way. Was the bastard trying to kill her, too?!

She was so surprised, it wasn't until the pointy-eared man beckoned her out that she realized the obvious.

She was free.

There were no bars blocking her.

She blinked, stared at him with her one eye--and then her slit pupil thinned and her lips curled.

What an idiot.

In a flash, she launched herself at him, but not to harm him, not yet. Instead she slammed into him to knock him out of her way right before she vanished--or seemed to, at least. But a mere second later, as the vendor's screams rang out, it was obvious what had happened. Something had thrown him to the ground, and large red gouges were appearing all over his body as he screamed and fought with something he couldn't see--until his screams turned into a gurgle when his throat fountained red.

Magyar

Bolion switched his sword to his right hand, turned it around, now using the almost half length of the hilt as a blunt weapon, and grabbing the tail of the beast currently mauling the Vendor, he yanked. He didn't intend to pull her back, but rather get her attention. Nonetheless, his overestimated her weight, and pulled her off of the Vendor, leaving a set of claw marks that ripped from his face down to his midriff.

Brandishing the back turned blade, he gave a quick jab to the back of her head, kicked her in the ribs, and spun her onto her back, stepping lightly on her throat, heavily on her stomach, and pinned her left hand with his own. His right was above his head, holding the blade downward, the tip mere centimetres from her remaining eye.

"Don't fight me now. I could accidentally drop this, and that wouldn't be very good would it?" He growled, low in his throat, the rasping depth one that inherited from his father's race. Keeping eye contact and barely moving for the next ten seconds, he continued, "I didn't buy you for the kicks. I know you understand me. I have a vendetta, so if you want to kill something, wait, and we can both benefit from it."

Rhindeer

One moment, she was making mincemeat of the vendor. The next--

The next, she was on her back and pinned beneath the pointy-earred man, her head throbbing, her breath rasping from the pressure on her throat and belly, her eye fixed on the blade hovering just before it. Her camouflage had faded in her surprise, and she glared up at him, blood thick on her claws and spattered all along her front. Shit...she'd underestimated him, it seemed. Underestimated him, and overestimated her own strength. The trappers had fed her, certainly, but just enough to keep her alive and healthy, and not enough that she wasn't lethargic. She hadn't had a full belly in weeks, and even after that small burst of energy and adrenaline, she felt drained.

And even more irritated.

If it weren't for the damned muzzle, she would have spit in his face.

Dammit. She should have gone for this one first, and then killed the vendor. But she hated the vendor more, and gods, it had been worth it. But she wasn't done yet, and he this pointy-earred one was in her way!

"I don't want to kill something," she hissed in her accented Common, still glaring--but not struggling, not with the blade that close. "I want to kill them. Release me at once! You're detaining Sa'Kyori Amade Dulei, and it is a mistake I'm willing to overlook should you let me go immediately."

All around them, the town square had devolved into panic. More than a few people had witnessed the attack, and the vendor's mutilated body was still laying there for all to see.

Magyar

His voice now a whisper, Bolion answered, "If I let you go, I'm not letting you escape. Let's make us a deal. I'll vanish, as if I were never here. You get your revenge, and meet me at the edge of town. I'll take off your muzzle and you help me with what I bought you for. As for who you are I couldn't care less."

Jumping off of the Iannu, Bol feigned injury, falling backward with a yelp and scrambling backward into the crowd. Among the chaos he had begun, he met Kyori's gaze, and nodded. Then he righted himself, and slipped into the now riled crowd.

Rhindeer

Perhaps he wasn't human, but he was as dim as one.

He released her, and Kyori kicked up onto her feet the instant he did. She had agreed to nothing--but the one thing she could agree on was that yes, she would be getting her revenge. Too bad the crowd was panicking so. It meant their deaths would have to be quicker, and not the long, calculated affairs she'd fantasized about.

She sniffed the air, and quickly found their scent. They were at least smart enough to run now that she was loose, for all the good it would do them. With a low growl, her cloaking magic slid over her again and she launched into the crowd, people yelling as something unseen shoved them aside and barreled on by.

The vendor's three companions didn't get far, and they hadn't been smart enough to split up.

She shed her cloaking right before she attacked, wanting them to see her, and with three quick swipes of her claws, she hamstringed them. Some brave passerby rushed to help, but she knocked him aside with a heavy smack of her tail. Then she was on them, slashing one of their throats, kicking one in the gut and slashing down with her hind foot to open his belly and spill his guts, and snapping the neck of the last. The disemboweled one she left to suffer. He would die eventually. He had been the worst of them, so he would get no mercy.

"Monsters," she snarled at them, before she turned on her heel and vanished--quite literally--into the crowd.

Her mission was accomplished, and now it was time to go home.

And so it was that, unlike what the pointy-earred one asked, she did not meet him at the edge of town. Instead, she reached the edge of town--and kept on going, quick as she could, her magic still cloaking her as she bolted. She had no time to waste on his revenge. She couldn't care less about that.

Magyar

"Yep, that's about right." Bol muttered as the turquoise and bronze blur faded into nothing, literally by magic.

Flicking a hand into the air, Bol jumped down from the outer wall of the town. As he landed, fifteen or so Morrahlique in Moraki Raider attire circled him on horseback. Grunting something in Mohraza, their mother tongue, one handed him a bay stallion, which can he mounted quickly.

Responding in the appropriate language, he said, "The Iannu leads us back to her tribe. Her tracks are fresh. Let us hunt. Then we deal with the Slavemaster." Nodding at him, the lead in their outfit gave signal to ride. At their pace, they would catch up with her in an hour or two, provided she stayed in relatively straight a line.

Bol spoke again, just shouting above the wind, "When we capture the beast, leave her to me. I wish to get a message across, but if she tries to escape, aim for the tendons and tail."

He turned back towards the fading tracks, his expression grim, but also gleeful. It had been awhile since he'd pillaged anything.

Magyar

The Sun was setting beyond the trees and hills of Adela, and for the most part, it was a silent evening. Peaceful, serene even, in exception for the Iannu woman chained to a tree, and the Morrahlique huntsmen having a funeral.

Bolion was correct, somewhat in his assumption for how long it would be before they caught up to Kyori, the time being one hour and seventeen minutes since they had left. The other hour and forty three minutes they spent trying to capture her, weaving in and out of trees, bushes, and tall plains grasses, was unaccounted for. After a total of three hours in pursuit, they had finally apprehended a very angry, very dangerous Iannu, and proceeded to chain her to the largest tree they could find, and ancient redwood, the centrepiece in a forest clearing. The hunt had not gone without casualties though, and three Morralique had bitten the dust, one early in pursuit, the other two when they had flanked and circled Kyori towards the three hour mark.

Bolion hadn't been so invulnerable either, scoring a gash on his chest, not deep, but long, stretching from his left collar bone to his lower right ribs. All semblance of friendliness and cooperation had faded from him, replaced by an anger he had let stew as they rode, and stoked by the death of his comrades. Comparatively, Kyori had only minor wounds, a scratch here, a bruise there, and the forming wounds around the chains, as she struggled against the tree, leaving deep claw marks in it's wood.

"You know, I tried to be nice. I know that you aren't a stupid beast, although today may have changed my perception." Bolion spoke with a biting tone, his anger spilling out in each word, "But this-" he pointed to the fresh burial mounds and the Morrahlique mourning ceremony, "this I cannot forgive. I wasn't even going to keep you! You know that, right? I'm against slavery, but I thought that I could gain from your skill set, and take you back to wherever they had taken you from, but no, you decided that acting like a child would suit you better!" He threw up his hands and walked away, seeing how ridiculous it was to chastise a stranger as if they held his morals.

Meanwhile, one of the Morrahlique huntsmen had been watching, and was feeling both a sense of anticipation and slight empathy for the Iannu. He had seen Bolion work himself into a rage before, and this is what it looked like. An angry Orc is dangerous enough, and an angry Elf is deadly, but an Elf-Orc could fly into destructive rage, making rash decisions and irreparable damage, both physically and emotionally.

Bolion turned back to the Iannu, her glaring eyes unfazed by his words. He could see that what he was doing wasn't getting through. He picked up his longsword, and in two steps, without warning, sunk his blade into her tail, narrowly avoiding bone, then sliding it back out more slowly than necessary. He scowled unconsciously as he watched her writhed against the tree.

"This is what happens." He snapped, and turned back and pointed his sword at her. His anger boiling over, he launched the blade at her, sinking half of the three foot blade into the tree, several inches from her face.

"You are lucky I still need you!" He roared, losing his self control. Walking up to the muzzled and chained Iannu, he was near shouting when he said, "You will obey, and when I am done with your worthless hide, if I deem that I no longer need you, perhaps I will set you free." Lowering his voice so that only they two could hear him, he said through clenched teeth, "And if you so much as try to escape, I will find, and I will burn your village into cinders, am I understood?"

Turning away from the object of his hatred, he called for some bandages, both for his wound, and her still bleeding stump. "We ride for the Slavemaster at dawn!" He called into the camp, now silent, as the moon rose in the night sky.

Magyar

The fourteen figures crouched low over the stone outcropping, watching the camp below them. Whilst the Morrahlique talked amongst themselves, Bolion spoke with Kyori, whom he kept on a chain leash.

"I was going to let you wreak havoc yourself, while I fought alongside my men, but circumstances mandate that I cannot trust you alone. They will launch a guerrilla attack around the southern basin, and we will head in the north. You are now a liability. I will kill you if you try to leave, do you understand me?" He asked, eyes meeting the Iannu, still muzzled, with a chest harness. "Would you prefer to fight with or without a muzzle?"

Rhindeer

Kyori's eyes burned with hatred as she stared at Bolion, her teeth bared in a snarl, her bandaged tail still throbbing horribly. She knew there was a reason her people trusted no others, and again and again, her peoples' distrust had been proven. Kidnapped by humans, then kidnapped and tortured by this pointy-earred one. Deep beneath the burning loathing she felt for him, however, was fear. The humans had caught her in a moment of weakness. This one had caught her still weak, and he had numbers over her, but he seemed far more willing than the humans to torture and humiliate her.

Why couldn't they just let her go home?

"I understand fine," she spat at his question, scratching uncomfortably at the harness. "Just take the damned thing off me."

Magyar

Blood soaked the earth where hired arms had been slain, their bodies littering the camp like flies on a carcass. The Slavemaster, a man by the name of Koh'selaa, had ordered retreat, and now held a fortress-like outcropping of stone, encircling him and his remaining lackeys with walls of sandstone. They had also taken the fifty some slave women they had captive with them. Bolion had decided not to let Kyori off leash until this moment, keeping her back from combat.

Leading her rather roughly, he got on his knee at her side, and pointed. His finger was aimed at a small hole in the stone that barred their way.
"That hole is protected by archers, but when we rush the main entrance, they'll be momentarily distracted." He met her eyes for a brief second, "I want you to end them."

He swiftly unharnessed her, but before she could take a step, put his swordspear in front of her, "Do not betray me, Sa'Kyori Amade Dulei. It is a decision you will come to regret."

Leaving her to watch the hole in the stone, he signalled to charge the men at the heavily protected entrance to the makeshift Fort. He led the charge, letting battlerage fill him, until the last thing he heard was heavy footsteps, remembered the smell of dust, the screams of men, and impaling a defending swordsman, running him through and relishing in his pain.

Rhindeer

Betray him? Oh, she would at the slightest chance.

However, now was not a good time. That was fine. She could be patient. And in the meantime, she would vent her anger on the men he wanted her to slay.

"They'll be dead before they know it," she growled, rubbing at the place the harness had once been. Her words were for his enemies, but also for him.

She watched him charge into battle, and a flicker of admiration went through her at how boldly he went, like a true warrior. It was the sort of admiration one could feel for a worthy opponent--but not enough to make her reconsider killing him. If anything, it would only make the victory sweeter. Much better to tackle a worthy opponent than a whimpering pup, after all.

Turning her attention back out to her targets, she waited a heartbeat longer, just until they were truly distracted, and then she launched herself out of cover and was on those archers like a cougar. Her teeth met soft throats and ripped them open, her clawed gauged out eyes, and her hands gripped heads and twisted them until they snapped. Even injured, she fought like a beast, her body aching all over--but the taste of blood and thrill of battle dulled it to a distant throb as the screams of the dying filled her ears.