Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Searching for a fable [Cherryflare!] [M]

Started by Medievarad, August 08, 2016, 10:57:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medievarad

Reginald crashed down through several trees, before smacking against the ground. He didn't move for several minutes, before pushing himself up with a soft and pained groan. His face pale.

He looked down at his arm, which was twisted the other way. He let out a soft grunt and grit his teeth as he rested his hand on his shoulder. A debilitating injury, but his sword arm was intact.

"Arran, Corianth-" he grunted out their names, before coughing. "Arran! Corianth!" He called out as he started to limp in a random direction.

CherryFlare

Cor heard more than saw that familiar voice. He had only heard it a couple of times three years before but he would never forget it. It was the last voice he heard before he dropped into that thick fog. Since then he had not heard from Imai nor Reginald ever again.

When he woke after that fall, he was alone. For two weeks he searched that vicinity for any sign of Imai or the blond headed soldier. There was not a trace of either. He then though that scoundrel must have taken off with Imai and wisked her away to who knows where. Three years he spent searching for them, tirelessly flying through stormy weather with the hope that he would see his partner again. Yet it was as if they just vanished out of thin air.

Then on that day, he found himself flying back to where it all began, to the last place he had seen her.

A thick fog came over the place once again just like on that fateful day. Warily he let the fog swallow him up. He could see nothing all around him. It was a few minutes of aimless wandering that he then heard it-- the voice of that man-- calling out to him and to Imai. Anger consumed him. He heightened his senses and located where the sound came from. He came barging at the direction and once he caught sight of him, punched him. "Where is she!" he bellowed with three years worth of grief.

Medievarad

Reginald grit his teeth as he struggled to walk. "Corianth! Arran!" He called out, taking a deep, shivering breath in pain, blood trickling down from the crack in his armour around his twisted left arm.

Little did the knight know what happened. He heard footsteps and turned around, before a fist hit him square in tje jaw, knocking him to the floor, landing on the already mangled arm, causing him to cry out in pain and look up at who had punched him to the floor. He had no idea who. The voice sounded vagualy familiar to a certain puckish dragonshifter he had met earlier this day.

He also looked like Corianth. Only older. That didn't make any kind of sense. "I.. Don't know," Reginald bit out with grit teeth.

CherryFlare

Cor was filled with so much anger that the fact that the man was injured escaped him. He blew a firey breath all around him causing the tree branches and some other plants to catch fire thereby lighting the vicinity.

"Dont know? You disappear for three years and you do not know?" He shouted, clenching his fist again.

Medievarad

Reginald looked pale, even as the fire spread around him. Yet he pushed himself up to his feet, gritting his teeth. "Corianth. I have no.. Idea what you speak off- wait. Three years?!" His eyes widened. "What the hell happened?" Reginald shouted now.

CherryFlare

Corianth grabbed him by the collar and growled, his blue eyes morphing to the glowing gold slitted ones of his dragon form. "Don't you dare try that on me." he shouted but it was then that he was able to take a good look at the man. He was exactly like how he remembered him all those years ago. It was as if he did not age a day.

It took her five whole years but finally she had some sort of lead. People had been disappearing from the ruins for centuries and it always fell on a special event just like that day five years ago. It was an eclipse-- a rare event when the moon swallowed the sun. She had learned that much and was convinced being here during another eclipse may reunite her with her with her friends.

A tear escaped one eye. She missed them dearly. She may only have met Reginald but he was a nice person. She liked him. And then there was Cor... her dragon.

Imai cut off her sentiments. She would see them soon. This was no time for tears. She wiped away the one that was now trailing down her cheek and readied herself.

She looked up at the sky to see it grow dark. Yes, the sun indeed was being swallowed by the moon. Then she felt a chill in the air. The shoulder she hurt that day in the fall began to throb in pain. She reached out to rub it. "Corianth. Sir Reginald." Imai silently pleaded as if her will can somehow bring them back. Then fog as thick as smoke akin to the one she got lost in rolled in from all around her and all the sounds ceased. She could see nothing but whiteness. She did not move but sharpened her ears to any trace of sound especially the one she had been longing to hear.

It was faint but she heard it. She had heard that voice only a few times but she had repeated it in her mind so many times that she could never forget it. "Sir Reginald!" she called out as she headed carefully at the direction of the sound.

Nothing.

Her steps began to falter in doubt. Was it just her imagination? But then she heard it again This time, as clear as a sunny day. She both heard it in the air and in her head. Her heart leapt with joy for she was now sure they were here "Cor!" she ran to them.

Medievarad

No, Reginald did infact not change a day. The man grunted in pain as his eyes grew weak. Yet he stared straight back into Corianth's eyes. "I.. Have no idea," he bit out with another grunt of pain. And while his eyes were weak and almost fading, they didn't show any fear. "Corianth.. Please."

She heard a feminine voice, calling out for Cor's name. He closed his eyes with a soft sigh, slumping back in Corianth's grip.

CherryFlare

Imai was expecting a joyful reunion but what greeted her looked like the stuff of her nightmares. There was Cor menacing in a half dragon- half human form dangling Reginald by the collar with him obviously bloody, hurt, and looking consciousness.

"CORIANTH!" she screamed his name. "WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING? LET HIM GO!"

At the sound of her voice, Corianth let go of the enfeebled body and it dropped like a sack. He on the other hand had a look of disbelief and profound joy on his face. His lit up like fireworks in a dark sky and he ran to her.

Conversely, she ran not to the dragon boy but to the warrior slumped on the ground. She passed his open outstretched hands and went straight to sit on the ground beside the injured warrior. She gently laid him flat on the ground and laid her hand on his forehead to check if a fever had started.

Medievarad

His eyes weakly slid open as he heard a feminine scream, before he dropped lifelessly on his back, grunting softly, gritting his teeth as he swallowed heavily, biting down the pain.

And he only let out another weak cry of pain as he felt Imai moving him again, gritting his teeth. The sweat running from his forehead. He was burning with a fever, grunting softly as the dragonrider put her hand on his head.

CherryFlare

Corainth clenched his fists in frustration. Three years he waited to see her again yet she runs to that stranger instead of him. He clenched his jaw in anger but kept quiet, biting back down years of emotions. It was not like he could get angry at Imai.

"What where you thinking?" Imai asked Cor again as she fiddled in the pack she had on her back. "Why did you hurt him?" she added as she took out a jar of what looked like some sort of salve.

"Me? I didn't do this to him. When I saw him he was already like this. I just... shook him up a little bit."

But Imai was not paying attention to him anymore. She placed the jar on the ground next to the patient and taken out a clean piece of cloth which she poured some sort of liquid from a glass bottle into. "This will sting but I'm sorry." she said to soldier. "I'm also sorry this happened to you but thank you for being here."

There was no mistake with Cor's dragon nose. The contents of the bottle were alcoholic in nature. Puzzlement and a bit of concern now washed his face. "Hey! Why do you have that?" he asked Imai but she was still engrossed in her work.

She now dabbed the cloth on his wounds. Finishing that, she took the salve and wiped them on his cuts. "I'm sorry I do not have any panacea with me but at least this will hasten your recovery even just a little." Then finishing, she turned to Corianth. "I need to look for some herbs to help with his fever and broken bones. We need to shelter him but we can't move him."

There she went again, caring for the stranger instead of him. Corianth's ire rose yet again and it was plain for Imai to see.

"Corianth!"she scolded. This isn't the time!"

Corianth flinched.

Then a gentle expression came over Imai's face. She came closer to him and looked him in the eyes. He could feel himself soften at the expression. She then laid her hand on his cheek and smiled. "Don't for one minute think that I did not miss you. But--" now she turned to the supine body on the ground. "We have to help him. It is the right thing to do."

Corianth nodded then.

"Thank you. " Imai said with a brilliant smile. "Could you perhaps build him some sort of shelter and a fire while I go and look for those herbs?"

"No."

"Cor--"

"I won't let you go anywhere again. I'll look for those herbs after I build that shelter and that fire. You can stay with him until I return."

Here Imai smiled again. "Thank you." and she went back to take her place beside the man. She now wet a cloth with water and laid that on his forehead.

"Are you dreaming, Sir Reginald?" she asked no one on particular seeing the rapid movement of his eyes. "May the fae guide you in your dark dreams." Was all she could do for what he must be experiencing now.

Medievarad

Dark dreams indeed. Dreams straight from the past. Dreams of memories he'd rather forget, but no amount of willpower, or alcohol, would make these memories fade. While he was completely oblivious to the outside world, he stirred slowly. "Indra," he murmured. "Don't," his voice sounded faint, weak. Yet somehow, the desperation in his voice was more than obvious. He once again stirred. Mumbling another thing in his sleep that was inaudible.

After several mintues, whatever nightmare he was having reached it's conclusion and his eyes cracked open with a panicked gasp, looking around and panting.

CherryFlare

Imai held him down by the chest to keep him from hurting himself. "Sssh... everything is alright. It was just a dream." she whispered, patting the sweat off his forehead. "You've been hurt bad. You've got quite a few broken bones. I'm surprised you were still able to stand." She said, continuing her ministrations to his face and neck. "I sent Cor for some herbs. We'll fix you up soon."

Medievarad

Reginald looked up at her, he looked feverish, but at the same time hopelessly confused. "Who.." He muttered with a soft breath, resting his head back to her ministrations as his eyes slid closed again.

CherryFlare

"Don't you recognize me? It's me, Imai." she said, smiling softly at him. "I'm sorry that has happened to you but we will fix you up in no time."

It had only been a few hours when Cor showed up again bearing a pouch full of potions.

"Where did this come from?" she asked him.

"Maybe the time we're apart has made you forget that I am a dragon." Handing the bag over to her he continued. "Its all sorts of healing potions."

Imai's face lit up. "This will be a lot quicker than herbs! Thank you!"

"I'll go gather some wood for a fire" he said turning and walking away.

Imai took out each bottle and looked at the labels and paused when she took out a green bottle labeled 'panacea'. She uncorked it and paused once more, this time to puzzle out how to orally administer it to an unconscious patient. She had no choice then. She placed the liquid in her own mouth and gave it to him through her own lips.

Medievarad

"A-Arran?" Reginald asked with a frown, his lips quivering, body shivering in the fever. "It's.. It's bad," he stammered as he tried to lift his left arm, to no avail. He only whimpered weakly in pain, more blood runing through the cracks of the armour around it.

But it didn't take long for him to go unconcious. He didn't even flinch when Imai fed him the poisons through taking the liquid in her mouth first, than transferring it to his. He was too crippled by pain and fever to stay concious throughout the progress.

Yet soon, he stirred back to life again, eyes moving behind his eyelids and they suddenly shot open as he sat up aswell, immediately grabbing his left arm woth a bewildered look. "It's.. It's healed?" He asked in surprise.

KingTyrant

In the misty depths of the woods, not far from the three, glowing eyes scanned them, most with anger. These eyes belonged to Sionad trolls, who over the centuries had migrated from their home in the icy tundra to the many reaches of Le'Ranna, especially here in Adela. The beings hid in the bushes and behind trees, concealing all that the fog did not.

They were massive creatures, very apelike in build and barbaric, to say the least. Their tough, green skin was cracked and dry, their eyes deeply sunken in and their ears long and curved, as well as their noses. They wore scraggly, long hair and beards, which were braided wildly and decorated with animal teeth. Their upper bodies were dressed in a variety of ornate, tribal necklaces and other jewelry, usually of animal bones, but sometimes even human remains were used. They wore leather wristbands and harnesses, which held large warhammers, shields, and battleaxes. Other than fur and leather skirts, they were very limited as far as clothing was concerned.

Casting glances at each other, they gave swift nods before sinking back into the darkness of the fog-ridden forest, leaving no trace. As they left however, the bushes and shrubs around the three rustled and shook as the large figures shuffled through them, letting them know that they were not alone. As soon as they were out of the way of the newcomers, the trolls climbed the trees, swinging from the branches as they made their way back to the camp that rested in a crater not far from where they had discovered the humans.

The camp was surrounded by a tall, wooden wall, lined at the top with stone spikes. Inside, multiple tents of fur and leather, as well as wooden huts connected by winding dirt trails rested, a huge, cozy wooden fortress in the center, surrounded by it all. The trolls made their way inside after the guards opened the gate, being met with various trolls walking up and down the paths, carrying meats and farmed goods, as well as newly crafted weapons. A few were conversing here and there, but nobody would ever hear it, what with the singing and playing of instruments from the taverns in camp, which could most definitely be heard for miles.

Approaching the fortress, the trolls that had spied on the humans were stopped by more guards. "Your business here. Speak up!" A guard demanded, the trolls growling defensively at him. "We bring news for the warchief... Intruders in the woods! Filthy humans, too." A troll explained himself. They talked in croaky, monstrous voices, which no human could understand, being that they spoke in a very inhuman language. "The warchief has no such time for petty news! King Rk'stl resides within. They are conducting important business! Away with you!" The second guard hissed.

The trolls looked surprised, their eyes wide as they looked between each-other. Rk'stl didn't come by often. They grumbled, preparing to turn and head back to the scout's guild to rest, when another booming voice echoed from the top of the staircase leading to the fortress. "Hold it right there!" The guards turned, everyone immediately taking to one knee and bowing their heads at the appearance of the king, who's stature dwarfed theirs, his figure more menacing then all trolls combined. "Any intruder is business of mine! How dare you usher them off with such important matters at hand!" He bellowed, walking down the stairs.

He stopped when he reached the guards, curling his lips before grasping their skulls, roughly slamming both together before tossing them to the side, into a thorn bush. He continued down to the scouts, eyeing them all individually. "Intruders, you say...?" He asked. They all gave silent nods. "Human... my king." One of them explained. Rk'stl clenched his fists, eyes narrowing as he nodded. "I see... Gather our best men. We hunt tonight..." He said, flashing his toothy, evil grin as he spoke. The scouts quickly stood, rushing off towards the barracks to alert all who would attend tonight's little, 'hunt.'

Magyar

The black haired boy scoured the ground for branches and sticks, oblivious of the eyes watching him. Hvittraak stared intently at the boy, seeing his exasperated expression, and caught his scent.

Decidedly not human, Hvit thought to himself. He knew a shifter when he saw one. What he could not place was the size of this hatchling's draconic form. He couldn't be overly large however. He still smelled of the egg. He was distraught and angry, that much could be seen, but he wore the rank scent of fear like the clothing he had adopted in this form. He probably does not know of the nature of this place. Hvit paused, and snaked out his tongue. The ever-present stench of troll was strong, but underneath it, hidden in the fog, was human. Perhaps his little troll hunt would have to be interrupted. Young dragons were rare after all, and Hvit would not forgive himself if he let one die, much less to trolls of all things. Disgusting creatures.

"Hatchling." His impossibly deep voice reverberated through the small clearing, vibrating the smaller saplings and coming from all around, bouncing off of everything it came into contact with. The Boy would most likely feel inside his chest, vibrating his lungs and organs like a giant drum. "What troubles you so?"