Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Red, Rude and Prude

Started by visualspice, September 02, 2014, 11:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

She had been traveling in Essyrn that day and had arrived from boat earlier that week. Some ocean travel did her well, the salty air soothing to her skin and awakening the traveler's spirit within. She on her way from Serendipity, all the way down to southern nation of Essyrn. She was always fond of Essyrn, being one of her and her father's most frequent of places to travel (that, aside from the jungles, of course), so when her river boat let her off within the city limits, she was surprised to see the streets were in utter chaos.

The people were in an uproar and cheering in their native tongue,
'Hang him! Let the foreigner die!' And as she pushed her way through the crowds to see what all of the hullabaloo was about, she found herself lifting a delicately gloved hand to her lips as she gasped at the sight of a rather scraggily looking man- definitely foreign, due to his ripe red skin (sun burned, no doubt), a wild mane of untamed hair, and a thick beard growing across his face.  And those eyes, as she peered back at those eyes that caught her for just the briefest of moments, it reminded her of the wild jaguars of the jungle, and for a moment, she forgot herself as the crowd continued to roar around her like a thriving serpent.

It was then the man was asked, in common tongue, if he had any last requests. The man, who was about to hang (as evident by the noose hung loose around his neck) cast his wild eyes towards the piggish man and spat directly upon him.

"OPUS DEY!!!!!!!" he cried with the ferocity of a lion. "YOU HANG HIM AND YOU WILL HAVE YOUR JUSTICE! I WAS FRAMED!!!" he roared, voice bellowing even about the roar of the crowd. Miss Warner had to place her hands over her ears, but even she caught the name.

"Opus Dey?" It took just a fraction of a second for the name to register- and then she realized the connection and found herself suddenly pushing through the crowd. Opus Dey! Did he really say that name? Her heart was drumming inside her ear and it felt as if the wall of people just weren't budging.

"Please.. excuse me.. I must get through!"
But no matter how hard she tried to get through it, she just couldn't make her way over there fast enough as the hang man approached as the piggish man from earlier gave a gesture.

"Opus Dey means nothing here!" And he went on sputtering angrily in his foreign tongue.  "Then he shall hang from the neck until he dies!" he decreed. And just as Beatrice was pushing her way closer, she heard the declaration and cried out,

"Wait!" but she saw the hang man's arms reaching for the lever and most unbecoming of her (and of a lady in such proper skirts!) she threw herself at him,a nd cried once again in his face,

"Wait! Please!" she said, fringes of her hair coming free and falling in loose tufts about her face. "I know the man who's name he cried. I... I know Opus Dey!"

The hangman paused to look at her, then over at the piggish man, who growled and spat more Essyrnian words at the man, then he looked at the woman.

"We care not for Opus Dey! Did you not hear me? This man is to hang!"

"What is his crime?" she asked, breathing heavily as her chest rose and fell, her cheeks and skin flush.

"The worst crime of all- Stealing from the Temple of Hakeshna!"
And as he pointed at the man who now hung before them in judgement, the crowd roar for his blood.

But even above the roar,t he man's voice thundered above the rest.

"I WAS FRAMED! GOD DAMN HIM! GOD DAMN OPUS DEY!!!!"

Her mind was in a whirl, the sea of people coming closer around her, making the scene dizzy and chaotic and it was soon becoming too much to bear. She felt her throat clenching up, her heart pumping in her ears, and just as the man was about to signal for the lever again, she cried out,

"Wait!" And again, there was a pause as the irritated spokesman turned to glare at her.
"I... I can prove his innocence! I... I can prove whatever happened here was because of Opus Dey."

The man, who's nose was crooked as a rat's snout, looked down at her, then over at the man in the noose.
"Are you saying you want to help this pig?" he said, shaking the shackles that bond him. "That you actually want to help this filth?"

Licking her lips, Beatrice looked from the pig-man back to the one to be sentenced to death before she straightened out her shoulders and said, "Yes."

"Well, that's too bad!" he went on with a laugh.
And then he gestured for the man to pull the lever-
So he did.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Cambie

The noose around his neck left him half-breathless as Red attempted with utter futility to reason with the executioner and the people all around the gallows. Worse than the fact that it was tight around his windpipe, limiting him to short ragged breaths -- it itched something fierce. Worse than the scraggly beard that he'd grown while languishing in the dark dungeons of Essyrn. He'd been in them before, but this might be the first time that he stared death so closely in the face. The itch wasn't helped at all by his sunburn. He could feel his red skin burning and cracking.

"OPUS DEY FRAMED ME! I DIDN'T STEAL FROM YOUR DAMN TEMPLE!" he cried out to the crowd, which elicited another round of jeers and thrown objects. Something stinky hit him in the face. It might've been a rotten turnip. He wasn't sure, but the smell of it almost made him gag.

Of course, he was not exactly telling the truth. He had been robbing the temple after all, but on another's request. He should've anticipated being betrayed by the great Opus Dey. AFter all, the two men had been stepping on each other since they were youths. Outsiders might have wondered why, after all these years, they still occasionally worked with each other. And to that, Red might have said "you just don't understand our relationship."

Which they never did. Him and Opus -- they were brothers. Or about as close as brothers could be.

Or about as far apart as brothers could be.

Either way, his 'brother' was likely sitting in his opulent manor with the Mirror of Hakeshna (and all its gold framing and inlaid gemstones) with no one being the wiser that he was one of the most notorious criminals in all the realms. And here, he was about to get hanged.

There was a commotion off to the side. He couldn't hear the pig-man over the noise of the crowd, but the woman he was talking to... boy, she was pretty. Too bad he was about to get hanged in front of her. "Hanging innocent men, and harassing women? You really are swine, Hakeem!" he shouted across the courtyard, but his next words were cut off as the trapdoor beneath him suddenly fell open.

He felt the rope snap taut around his neck and behind him, and for a moment he thought he was dead. Then he realized that his neck had not broken.

And he was choking.

visualspice

"No!" Beatrice shouted, disbelieving the audacity of the man to simply ignore her request right in front of her, as if mocking her and there, she stood breathlessly watching as- Oh! The man did not die! And he was struggling something fierce.

Thinking far too quickly, she dashed forward to yank the trap door closed-
Only she forgot one minor detail..
The man hanging and choking to death was still dangling through it, as the trap door partially closed against him!

Realizing her mistake, and that it probably put the man in an even worse position as he was strangling,  she released the lever and stumbled back, the hang man glaring at her and asking as if she were crazy- all the while the crowd was roaring mad at such a sight. And Beatrice wasn't quite sure what had become of her but well...
When Hakeem began to go off on her, telling her how she was just some stupid woman...

That was all it took for her to reach for his decorative blade and hold it up so that it caught the flare of the Essyrni sun and then struck it forward, in hopes to cut the rope that dare strangle the man attached!

But of course, the first cut did not proceed, and as Beatrice stumbled over her dress, she hefted one side of it up, revealign some leg as she went to cut at the thick rope again...
and agian, and again, and again, before finally- with a triumphant 'Ah ha!' the rope was cut free and the man would fall quite painfully to the ground.

And at this, Hakeem wanted to eat his hat as his obvious words of anger were being ignore dby the woman, who was far too elated with herself and smiling as if she won some boxing match, while Hakeem now turned his attentions to the hang man, who he too, was just as confused by this situation as Hakeem was- and it seemed no party was taking any actions but words.

Once Beatrice was done glowing in her moment, she realized the man on the ground was hardly in the clear,a nd while the other men were preoccupied, she rushed over to his side and asked, "Sir... are you okay?"
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Cambie

For an eternity, the only thing running through Red's mind were the last agonizing moments of his life, and how he'd be thinking of his lack of air instead of all his other memories. Pity too, because he had plenty to remember. Hands bound behind his back though, he really could do nothing against the noose than the squirm and struggle even as it choked him away.

Then something began hitting the noose above him. Was someone cutting him down? It didn't seem like it, because every time she hit the rope with her sword, all that happened as that it jarred even tighter against his neck. As if being hanged wasn't bad enough! And to make it worse, he let out a pained gurgle as the trapdoor partially closed on him! Boy, what a day.

His face turned redder than it already was and he could feel panic settling in ... until finally the rope gave way and he fell down to the sand, gasping and wheezing.

The sun shone brightly down through slats in the gallows, blinding him as he struggled to gasp in as much air as he could. As the woman hovered over him, a look of concern on her face, his eyes bulged as he continued sucking in precious air. Finally, he had the energy to croak out a few pained words, and the first thing he said was...

"Lady... what in the HELLS... is wrong with you?!"

visualspice

Miss Warner gave a tut and planted a hand to her hip.
"Is that any sort of question to ask the one whom is rescuing you?"
But propriety aside, she sighed over at the man stationed at the gallows and wiped her hair from her face.

"Well, don't just stand there, help the poor man out!" And his only response was to stare. Growling something about the inadequacies of a complete education among all Essrynj natives, she yanked the key ring from man's pocket and turned around, fully intending to go down beneath the gallows to unshackle the wild man. It was then Kareem got into her face, half shouting and cursing her out in both common and Essryni. And of course her response was to cut him a glare as she halted in mid step down the wood ladder.

"I'll have you know this man is an invaluable asset to my father's estate. To kill him now means you'll have killed potential antiquital rewards and-" she didn't get.much farther than that when the man stopped her.

"You mean this beast knows of treasure?"

Beatrice could not believe the audacity behind his reply. But she grit back her pride and simply went with it. Sometimes it was best.to use honey.

"Why yes, he knows quite a lot about treasures to be found in the Kishani! Kill him now and you kill the last line of men housing this secret."

He didn't want to believe it , but as he chewed it over he snatched the keys from her and pushed past her.

"If you are correct, I save the man for myself!"

And all Beatrice could do was gape as her plan, in a way, back fired into something else.

"Seems you'll live after all, pig," the man went on with a rotted tooth laugh. "See how much you like to live as my personal treasure slave!" And he seemed quite proud at himself for coming up with that phrase all by himself!

Cambie

Red coughed as he struggled to wheeze in precious air. He'd managed to shrug the noose away from around his neck, but it'd left a nasty rope burn there, a scar that would likely remain for a long time. He only briefly heard the lady try and bargain for his life for the promise of... Kishahni treasure?

What the hell did he know about any Kishahni treasure?

Well, actually he did know plenty. He hadn't said anything though, so she must have just made one really lucky guess. Lucky for everyone but him, that is, for now he was both indebted to her for his life -- and indentured to Hakeem.

Red agonized face split into a slight grin as the rat-man hovered over him, his disgustingly yellow smile making the Kishahni cringe. With the shackles gone from his wrists, he reached up to rub at his neck. "Yeah, your wife told me how hard it was to be your personal treasure slave. She told me last week. In bed."

His defiant grin quickly gave way to a groan as Hakeem kicked him in the ribs and stomped off angrily, leaving Red lying in the dirt with just a screaming mob around him -- and the girl still standing above him.

"You're seriously going to make me lead tubby to treasure?" he croaked to her. She should've just let him hang.

visualspice

"If it makes any difference, which it probably does not, that wasn't exactly the plan. But should you not be grateful? You are alive, sir. Seconds lost and you might not have been."

Cambie

Red sputtered a bit, still finding it hard to focus on her face. Everything was still blurry and overly bright, creating a bright corona around her dark silhouette. Did she have to stand over him?

But she was right. She had saved his life, so in a sense he really was in her debt. "Yeah yeah," he croaked, "Thanks for saving my ass and all, gorgeous. I guess I owe you that."

He didn't have time to say more, for two of Hakeem's men, big burly giants with dark skin and darker tattoos, came over to haul him up to his feet and drag him toward a tunnel leading out of the sandy courtyard and back toward the prison.

visualspice

Beatrice didn't get a chance to protest as the man was whisked away.
"Hey! Wait.. wait just a moment!" she shouted after them, grabbing on to her skirts as she hurried along. "Where do you think you're taking that man? He needs to see a doctor!" And at the revelation he was going back to prison she made a most unhappy face. But Kareem was in charge, and the men told her she had to go through Kareem if she wanted to talk or see the man.

With a huff, she placed her hands on her hips.
"Here I saved the man's life and I'm forbidden to even help!" And she threw her hands of it and stormed off after Kareem. She wasn't here to play his games anyway! She wanted answers, and well- It seemed Kareem would not see her.

"Go away!" he told her, throwing up his arms and slamming the door in his face. "I've had a very busy day, thanks to you! Come see me in the morning when I am more hospitable!"

"But the man he-"

"I said GO AWAY!" And the slamming of another door inside made her sigh. And she stood there for a moment, regarding the bustling streets and pondering what she ought to do.

Well, she might as well go visit the man she had saved, see if she could at least help him with something. ANd the Gods knew she was no doctor, but she knew a thing or two that might help. In fact, she purchased some supplies before making her way to the prison, where the guard gave her a bit of a hard time. But after thoroughly prodding him verbally, he finally let her in, and when she came stepping in-
Well it became more like stumbling in as she tripped over a slight step she did not see nd hd to catch herself on a nearby sell, her hat falling askew and her bag and it's contents spilled all over the floor. And her face nearly hit the sandstone, and boy did she get a whiff of the place.

and it REEKED.
A hand was quick to over her mouth as she fought back the urge to vomit, tears prickling her eyes as she looked around for Mr. HangMan.

Cambie

They'd immediately thrown Red back into his dark damp cell to rethink his life, and to 'thank Hakeshna for Hakeem's mercy.' What a load of shit. Getting hanged was probably marginally better than being stuck in this little cramped space again.

He didn't know how many hours passed before he found the strength to climb to his feet and pace his cell again. He started counting the number of beetles running around his cell that he squashed, until he decided that they were about the only companions he had now.

And he was hungry. Near-death could certainly play with a man's appetite!

A noise down the hall had him craning his neck to peer as far down as he could see, without getting his head stuck in the bars. Someone was down here, and it sounded like a woman, given the little yelp he heard. She probably tripped over one of the many jutting cobblestones, or slipped on a patch of prisoner piss. The thought of it brought a small laugh to his lips. It was a funny thought.

The hat gave away her identity though. "Lady, the bookstore is down the street."

visualspice

She managed to right herself, but the man's cell she nearly fell through was making crude noises and reaching for her. She used the book in her hand to slap it away before fixing her disheveled attire, and tipping her hat back the other way, along with it's excessive scarf and swag.

And it was then she frowned and looked over at him.
"Well.." she said, upon approaching, ignoring all the cat calls as she approached him. "You look comfortable. Perhaps there was no need for my visit."

Cambie

"It ain't bad," he said with an air of indifference, though it didn't quite come out that way for his voice was still raspy from the rope around his neck. Even now, it hurt to turn his head because the rope burn stung something fierce. "I get my own piss-covered pile of hay to sleep on, not everyone can say that."

He eyed her up and down before adding, "You came to visit? I was almost positive you were heading to the flower shop and then accidentally fell into this shithole."

visualspice

Beatrice raised a sharp brow at him, then looked him over.
"How is your neck?"

Cambie

"Connecting my head to my shoulders," he answered, gingerly touching the scarred flesh around his neck. People would forever know that he was almost hanged. Good thing he always had his scarf. Maybe Hakeem would allow him to wear it when he led the rat-man to whatever treasure he hoped to find.

Wait, why did he hope Hakeem let him wear a scarf? He'd wear it anyway.

He leaned forward and pressed his head between two iron bars, peering at her. "It's been a reeeeeeal good day today. How are you?"

visualspice

"Well, if you're just fine. Perhaps my visit here was wasted then?"

Cambie

"Here's a better question, lady," he said through the bars. "Why are you here in the first place?"

visualspice

Carefully, she regarded the man before stepping closer, being mindful not to step in a nearby puddle. But once she wasclose enough, she whispered, "Opus Dey. I'm here because of Opus Dey."

Cambie

That name made the hairs on Red's neck stand up on end. With a scowl he pushed himself away from the bars and plopped down on the pile of hay.

"So you want to know about the great, all-powerful Opus Dey? Who he is, what he does? You're gonna have to get in line, gorgeous, it's out the door and around the corner."

visualspice

She folded her arms across her chest.
"I would think my actions would bump me, as a courtesy, to the front of the line. But I can see by your expression you are no more of a fan of him than I."

Cambie

"What, by getting me out of the rope and into Hakeem's personal doghouse? You should go to the back of the line for that work," he said with a wild look on his face, though he quickly composed himself. Life, no matter how difficult, was precious. He owed her his.

"Now wait a minute, lady, who said I wasn't a fan of Opus Dey?"

Tags: