Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Humble Beginnings [Whim]

Started by Jounin64, October 04, 2015, 12:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jounin64

"We are the future, we are the aspiring, we are the potential, we only need one parent to guide us, We are cared by her, we are rewarded by her, we are nurtured by her, we are the Children of Zyra." Aliki leads the chant amongst the population of Youth's Haven. The settlement's population which is only sixty all reside in her church currently.

"My brothers! My sisters! My siblings! We must not give up hope for our quest of eternal youth! For our great mother herself spoke to me last night!" The crowd of children excitedly murmur amongst themselves.

"She told me that a key to our quest will be revealed today! The other five prophets have yet to shown, but she made it clear that this key is not one. So be it known today that if only one child finds their way here today, then welcome them with more then open arms because they may hold the key!" A bell then rings signalling that the sermon is dismissed.

Whim

The boy called in favors with old friends, and sold the remnants of his possessions. He had to book passage to Kishahn and hire guides. Orphans were dreaming of a temple in Kishahn, dedicated to a goddess called Zyra. Ewan wouldn't have paid it much mind if he wasn't trapped as a scrawny 8-year-old. He knew it was getting harder to wield magic, and his only lead was her temple.

Ewan's clothes were torn and rank with sweat and dirt. He and Shaggy had been traveling two days in the jungle. Surviving was difficult, but between the boy's sorcery and the wolfhound's bark they'd warned off most predators.

His map was crude - drawn by an teenaged erand-boyfrom the trading post - none of the sailors, merchants, or hunters seemed to know a thing about Zyra. Worry crept into his mind this was all a wild goose-chase. Even if he and Shaggy could make it back to the trading post, how would he return home? There was only enough coin for a one-way trip, and Ewan didn't relish having to work his way back to La'marri on a ship.

Suddenly Shaggy started barking excitedly. "Easy boy, easy, what is it?"

Through the thick trees and folliage Ewan spied carved stonework in the distance...
Awesome avatar by Eckhart_von_Musel

Guilds:
Wyrdwood Academy of Arcane Science

Events:
The Midnight Harvest
Into the Mouth of Qokagax

Characters:
Ewan ap Rhys - once a great sorcerer, now a small boy
Anwen ferch Rhys - scholar of blood magic
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie
"Kaliam" - magically conjoined apprentice wizards
Maergath - Magister of Soulshaping, necromancer, angry and hateful wizard
Narlis Thordane - Hero for hire, proud and unrepentant scumlord
Niamh Wayrest - trader in forbidden lore, purveyor of curiosities
OLIVER THE BARBARIAN - a very reluctant hero and monster-slayer
Sage Whitechalk - heir to the Whitechalk Family
Saoirse Nettlefield - Headmistress of Wyrdwood, conniving academic

Jounin64

Most of the children returned to their resting quarters which currently is the great lodge. Once more prophets show the great lodge will be where they stay and building plans will work towards residential areas. The settlement right now consists of the church, the great lodge, and a trading post.

Aliki keeled in front of the statue of Zyra praying, when he heard a knock on the church door. "Come in!" He yelled right after finishing his prayer. Tobias the main watchman of the settlement runs in.

"Sorry to disturb you mista but ah child has been spotted...bless it be our great mother is giving us ah gift."

It wasn't evident because of his mask, but Aliki was grinning from ear to ear. "Thank you for the report Tobias, return to your post. I want to greet this person myself. " Tobias bows then leaves. Aliki walks out and awaits at the front of the church.

Whim

Ewan crept nearer the trio of buildings in search of occupants. They were primitive-looking, but still intact at the very least. A slim figure stood in his path, wearing a simple robe and a strange wooden mask. He mustn't have been as sneaky as he thought.

It looked like a kid.

"Hello?" Ewan called out uncertainly, "Is this the temple of Zyra? I'm Ewan. I've been lookin' for it."

He hoped the boy was friendly, and hospitable. He could do with a bath, a good meal, and a change of clothes.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie

Jounin64

Aliki ran up to him trying to hide his excitement. He then bows before the boy. "Ah! we've been awaiting your presence, Zyra told me about you. I am Aliki Marama currently the first of the six prophets. You look weary, we still have a room within the great lodge that hasn't been filled yet. You also seem to be a bit dirty, we don't have a bathhouse yet, but we have a river near by."

Whim

"You were expecting me? You know what I am?" Wide-eyed, Ewan took a step back as the boy-priest scampered up and bowed. He wasn't expecting that at all.

"I wasn't sent by anyone. I came here looking for answers and thought Zyra's priest's might help..." Ewan tried to hide how dubious he was of the child-prophet. He knew he shouldn't be. Gods knew people doubted him all the time. "You're in charge here? Just what is this place anyway?"

He followed Aliki, rattling off questions as the boy lead him to... the river?

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Jounin64

Aliki led him to the river motioning him to enter "This is Youth's Haven were all children of Zyra gather and live together under her care. I am the first of six prophets to arrive here making me the defacto leader, and most people do not know their fate. The rest of your questions will be answered in time, but for now you should wash."

Whim

"So there're no adults here? None? You survive on your own?" Ewan asked in spite of Aliki's instructions. How did they gather food? Build? Tend the sick? Maybe they didn't need it...

The water was cystal blue.

Ewan dropped his pack, without a care for the spellbook and reagents within, and peeled away his shirt. He gave a whistle and Shaggy came splashing after him into the river. With a blush, he realized Aliki was still there.

"Oh, um. I'll be done in a moment... just need a bit of privacy is all."

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Jounin64

"Ah of course." Aliki begins to make his leave when he notices that Ewan left his bag behind. A glimmer dances within his eyes. "This may contain the key that our great mother told me about." He whispers to himself.

Aliki quickly snatches up the bag while Ewan wasn't looking and retreated into a cluster of plants and trees. Upon opening the bag he discovers what seems to be a spell book. Eyes now full of mirth he greedily takes the book and starts flipping through it.

Whim

Ewan soaked in the warm stream, brushing the dirt and grime from his pale skin. Meanwhile the dog splashed through the shallows as a concession to the jungle heat.

"Stop splashing!" Ewan pouted, prompting the animal to bound toward him.

Aliki found Ewan's spellbook to mostly hold herbal remedies in the early pages. The book progressed to magically growing plants and calling forth animals. One particular passage caught the boy-priest's eye. It was accompanies by a sketch of a spindly androgynous figure laced in vines.

Ruanyth
A spirit of growth and renewal. It is revered in the back country hills shared by Connlaoth and Serendipity of northern serendipity. Appeased in the spring by planting sapplings. Older traditions show planting was done in the charred remains of a grotesque sacrifice: boars, orcs, humans?

Several notes are written in the margins...

Possible Bargains
Youth for knowledge
Everlasting youth - stasis of growth?

The pages that followed listed complex summoning diagrams and incantations.

Satisfied he was clean after a lazy fifteen minute swim, Ewan stood up and began hunting for his clothes...

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Jounin64

"The key..." Aliki's eyes lit up "We just need the resources to reach this destination." Aliki hears Ewan start to get out, he quickly waves his staff and the plant life around begins to grow. I picks up the bag and returns it to the original spot.

Aliki casually walks out of the brush. "Did you enjoy your bath?....you know what I do not think I caught your name."   

Whim

Ewan slipped back into his tattered shirt and britches. His clothes were clean now, but had seen better days. The dampness wasn't bothersome in the jungle heat.

"Sorry, Aliki, I thought I gave it. I'm Ewan ap Rhys from La'marri. I suppose your goddess told you what I am? Used to be twenty five and a lot taller till a year ago when I tried a youthening spell," he grinned up at the taller boy, "Not that I mind not having to shave.

"I came here looking for answers about what's happened to me, and to make sure it don't-" he corrected himself "-doesn't get worse. Are there others like me here?"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Jounin64

"Well you were yelling something before I met you, but it doesn't matter either way. It is a pleasure Ewan."

As Ewan went on Aliki eyed him curiously. "The great mother did not mention this. This is very intriguing indeed." Aliki looks in the distance for a moment then back at Ewan. "To answer your question, no one here is like that, but with your help there may be."

Whim

Ewan blushed. Did he just go on a wild-goose chase just to find a city full of kids? He hoped not.

The boy couldn't help but be curious. "There may be? I'm sure a lot of grownups want to be young again, but not this young. The spell took all the stuff I learned, like my magic. It gives you the mind of a little kid, too, so you may as well be born again. That's why I need help."

Ewan hefted his pack and whistling for Shaggy, and the two boys started back toward the village.

"So what did your goddess tell you?"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Jounin64

Hidden under his mask Aliki raised an eyebrow. "Our great mother told us that you are or hold the key to let us enter the next step of becoming the eternal youth."

Whim

Ewan looked up at the boy. He was hard to read through the mask.

Why hadn't their goddess granted them that boon? And if they couldn't achieve eternal youth... how could they reverse his spell? It would be better to bargain than lay out all his cards. "I s'pose I might be able to help you if you really want this," he spread his arms, gesturing to his waifish frame. "Think you or your goddess could help me be big again? Or at least get my powers back?"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Jounin64

"She is a very nurturing deity, but frowns upon us aging. Getting your powers back most likely, returning to your age I doubt it. After all it must have been her work to cause that fate on you. I mean how else would you have entered here."

Aliki starts walking back to the settlement motioning Ewan to follow. "I believe finding a way to return your powers is vital for both of us."

Whim

"Any magic to age me back would likely make me ugly and old anyhow. Not going to take any chances there" Ewan cracked a faint smile. "I don't remember invoking a Zyra during the ritual. Hadn't even heard of her until now, unless she goes by other names...

"If you're her prophet, can't you just invoke her to restore my power? I don't really know how that works." The boy never had much use or reverence for gods. He'd read enough of binding and commanding daemons and faeries that he was dubious of omnipotence.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Jounin64

"I wouldn't expect you to, adults do not revere her and most children do not have the chance to learn about her. That is one of our goals, to spread her wisdom."

Aliki enters the settlement and heads towards the church. "As a prophet I cannot invoke anything. I can only speak with her. If we are greedy with our mother she will not aid us."

Whim

"You're aiming to live like this forever and ever, I suppose?" Ewan glanced around the settlement. A small crowd of children, clad in loin cloths and grass skirts, stood outside the great lodge, watching as a pair of teen boys wrestle. They grinned and waved at Aliki, watching the newcomer curiously.

"I"m an Animancer, mostly. My magic works on plants and animals. It just isn't as strong as it should be,"  Ewan went on, dryly. The boy-priest seemed serious-minded enough that talk of complex magics might hold his attention. Ewan extended a palm and closed his eyes, tongue jutting from the corner of his mouth. A small, sickly-looking  twig sprang up- sporting two shriveled berries. It smelled rotten and horrible. Ewan scrunched his nose... his demonstration overdoing it. "See?

"Any ideas for our next step?"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Tags: