Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Who's Afraid of the Dark? [Glob] [Archive]

Started by DragonSong, February 04, 2016, 07:45:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Maka was having a nightmare.

It wasn't entirely surprising; she'd been traveling for two days straight without much sleep, and she was physically, mentally, an emotionally drained. These thick trees were nothing like the bamboo forests of her childhood, and were much harder to navigate than she'd originally anticipated.

An hour or so before she'd managed to set up a makeshift camp in the massive, tangled roots of a tree and attempted to bed down for some long overdue rest. Of course, her subconscious decided that wasn't going to be an option.

Images of flames and glinting metal flickered behind her eyelids to a soundtrack of fearful cries and shouted accusations. Witch. Freak. Devil child.

She frowned, twitching in her sleep. Her breath grew quick and shallow, then she suddenly bolted up, a cry half caught in her throat as she instinctively fought to keep herself quiet even before she was fully conscious. Panting, she looked around wildly for a few moments before remembering where she was and letting her body sag wearily, running a hand through her hair.

Gods, I hope I wasn't making any noise, she thought as she peered into the jungle. All she needed now was for some predator to have heard her.

DaGlobster

For Kruz'Iik, the jungles and deep forests of Le'Ranna were just as much a haven of discovery for him as the largest cities and most cloistered libraries. There were so many things yet to be found, so many grand secrets hidden behind thick foliage and in dark caves.

And occassionally, there were other things. Kruz'Iik could feel the mental disturbance from miles away, and funnily enough, a predator had heard Maka. Just not in the way she thought. In a flash, Kruz'Iik was nearby, but invisible, his presence detectable in the way the wind stopped blowing and the insects quited down.

Ahead of Maka, a dark shape flitted between trees.

DragonSong

Something was off. The quiet buzzing of insects and soft rustle of leaves she'd already associated with the jungle softened slightly. Wary, Maka climbed to her feet, eyes searching the shadows between the trees.

Her hand slipped over her shoulder to grasp her staff, eyes narrowing. Usually smaller animals reacted when a predator was near, but she'd never encountered something that made the bugs go quiet. What the hell?

One hand went absently to the choker around her neck, an unconscious gesture to soothe herself. Keep calm, stay alert...

DaGlobster

Slowly, the bugs got quieter until Maka was standing there in total silence, the wind having died down as well.

Suddenly, all the insects in the area took off and vacated the premises, and Kruz'Iik's two red eyes appeared in the darkness ahead.

DragonSong

"Holy-!" Maka yelped and jumped back, whipping her staff around into a guard position in front of her body.

How had that thing gotten so close without her realizing. And what the hell was it? An animal of some kind? No, the eyes were too far off the ground...

"Who- what are you?" she barked, stinking into a defensive crouch. "Show yourself!"

DaGlobster

"Who am I?"

Kruz'Iik stepped forward, his form comprised of inky blackness in the vague shape of a humanoid. He was hungry.

"Who are you?"

DragonSong

Gods... Not much scared Maka, not with the life she led. But this- this creature sent a chill down her spine.

"I'm a traveler," she replied, forcing her voice to sound even and willing her hands not to shake. "If- if I'm intruding on your...territory or whatever, forgive me. I'll be going." Maybe he- it sounded like a he- was some kind of jungle guardian spirit or something.

DaGlobster

"Oh, you're not going anywhere," Kruz'Iik said, and he stepped ever closer.

"I sensed a great deal of mental output. Was that you?"

DragonSong

Maka backed up instinctively and her back thumped against the trunk of a tree. "Mental output?" She frowned. "I don't- what?"

Tags: