Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Hazardous Portraiture

Started by Whim, June 16, 2016, 12:00:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whim

Ewan gave Pension a panicked look. What could the bird possibly want? Or be willing to part with? The frozen peafowl gave no indication. He gave a sigh of exasperation, "I uh... maybe turn his feather's...?"

The rakshasa's claws clacked impatiently on the stonework.

The boy's mind raced, finally blurting out "The nervous and frightful bit his soul; can you trade it for a more jovial bit? And Pension! If you can hear me don't ask the daemon to-" the boy's request was cut short as his body turned rigid. He stood frozen, hoping the bird didn't inadvertently age him to dust.

"Curious. Mildly clever but predictable and a slight disappointment. Though your adventures could do with a bit of livening up, hm? You hardly add youthful exuberance to the mix. Perhaps that ought to be changed." The daemon clucked his tongue in disapproval then approached Pension, peering into the artist's eyes. The stammering of the nervous persona seemed to grow dimmer and dimmer until it was but a whisper in his psyche, all the while a fresh voice crescendoed with joyful laughter. Feeling returned to Pension's muscles.

"How do you feel, artist?"
Awesome avatar by Eckhart_von_Musel

Guilds:
Wyrdwood Academy of Arcane Science

Events:
The Midnight Harvest
Into the Mouth of Qokagax

Characters:
Ewan ap Rhys - once a great sorcerer, now a small boy
Anwen ferch Rhys - scholar of blood magic
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie
"Kaliam" - magically conjoined apprentice wizards
Maergath - Magister of Soulshaping, necromancer, angry and hateful wizard
Narlis Thordane - Hero for hire, proud and unrepentant scumlord
Niamh Wayrest - trader in forbidden lore, purveyor of curiosities
OLIVER THE BARBARIAN - a very reluctant hero and monster-slayer
Sage Whitechalk - heir to the Whitechalk Family
Saoirse Nettlefield - Headmistress of Wyrdwood, conniving academic

Ice

Pension did not like not being able to move. Upon hearing what the boy wanted to trade he inwardly cringed. As he felt his Beverly's half leaving and being replaced with a happier persona he was relived. He thought that it might hurt. He then saw the creature look in to his eyes. He had to think carefully about what he should say. There was something the boy did not want changed. Sadly he would not know what that was.

" Ugh ... maybe you can make his magic stronger. You know better at casting spells." He said to the creature. He hoped that was not a mistake.

Whim

"Your mood picking up already I see," the daemon nodded, motioning Pension  onward.

"The boy parted once with knowledge for youth, though not by my doing. What shall the price of this boon be? Hm? What shall he part with? Restoring his true age is beyond my power; such a thing is fixed in time. Such a bore that would be."

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie

Ice

Pension was thinking hard about his next words. He looked the demon in the eyes and nodded. " Perhaps read it for his adult temperament. " The peafowl said now. This new happier persona was also really encouraging and smart. Though the bad thing was that he was not good at trading .

Whim

"A risky proposition... a mind young as his body? His sorcery outgrown both? My, my..." the bridge daemon gave a small bow with a flourish. "Perhaps this shall amuse me. True to my word, you may pass."

What on earth did that mean? Ewan's mind raced, pondering just what the trade meant. He'd first given up power to be young? Now what!? He wanted to scream in protest before the bird made things worse, but he couldn't move. It wasn't fair!

Then the spell faded. Ewan gasped. He didn't feel any different... "W-why didn't you turn my hair green or something! He could've stolen all my memories or- or-" the boy pouted, stamping his foot in anger.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Ice

Pension listened to the creature. There was a reason that he did that. The boy had taken away the persona that was the artist. Which meant that he could not paint as well. That was not something that made him very happy. He looked to the boy who was complaining now. He could not blame him but he still was not happy. Time to expand to him .

" You know why I did that. You made it to where I could not paint. My nervous side was the artist. He was the one who could pain such pretty pictures." He growled back at the boy. It seemed that now both of them had a problem.

Whim

"Painting's about your eye and muscle and stuff anyway!" Ewan snapped back without thinking "And how do you paint while nervous anyway"

The boy chewed his lip, feeling a touch guilty. It was the daemon's fault. Just the same he wasn't going to let the bird blame him! He sighed and emphatically and grumbled. "I'm sure he was just... kidding anyhow. Like teasing us. Let's just get going."

He reached out sheepishly to tug the bird's wing, not quite believing what he said, but wanting to.

The fog and bridge daemon were gone. Across the long span the jungle thinned into rolling green hills, lit orange by the sinking sun. It would be time to camp soon.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Ice

Pension just sighed. He should not have snapped at him like that. He just shook his head slightly. His nervous half was the half that liked art. The others weren't that interested or good at it. But he just decided to end the argument before it got out of hand.

" Never mind . I am sorry for grumping at you . Like you said we need to keep going." He said in more gentle tone. He did not want to fight with the boy. He just wanted to get on with what they were doing. He smiled when the boy tugged his wing. He was moving now with him.

He looked at the sun and knew that they would need to find a place to camp soon. " You think that we should make a camp soon?." He asked now.

Whim

Not far from the nearest trail-marker was a clearing with the remains of a firepit, and a small window through the canopy to star-gaze. The jungle hadn't seen fit to reclaim it. The boy peered about awkardly, the pair not having much to unpack, "Well i guess I'll find some firewood. And some food." Being the guide, Ewan felt a little odd asking Pension for help. He smiled and pointed to a stump near the old firepit.

He scrambled about the nearby clearing to gather bits of tinder and dry wood. "Gotta make a big fire, and one lf us has gotta keep watch. There are big cats out there," the boy stretched his arms for emphasis with a flicker of a grin. "Not to scare you!"

Ewan dumped a bundle of wood near the firepit, panting, and went out to look for more. Having weak arms was a nuisance.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Ice

Pension looked to the boy as they got to the clearing. He really did not want the boy to have to do all of the work. He heard the comment about the big cats. That again made him shiver. He did not like cats. He could imagine that the jungle would be creepy at night. he then thought to offer his help.

" Would you like some help? I don't sleep much at night myself if you would like me to keep watch first." He said to the boy now.

Whim

"If you want to'" Ewan gave Pension a shy look. "Bet that stupid spirit was lying thoigh. You ought to try and sketch or... or something."

The boy dropped a bundle wood by the fire, panting. He then began to stack it about the tinder... as he'd seen it done before. Doing it on his own was another matter.

"It's pretty out here besides."

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Ice

Pension looked at him with a strange look. Was the boy wanting him to draw? Well he could try he supposed. It could turn out quite well. " If you would rather I draw I can try to do that. " He stated with a soft smile. His relaxed personality had come out. The one who never seemed to have a care in the world. Though this probably wasn't the time for that .

He then carefully took out his sketch book from his bag. His eyes got a happy look to them as he pondered what he wanted to draw. He was just surrounded by so many pretty things .

Whim

Ewan roughly scraped to large hunks of flit together as they spoke "Its an awful... long way and I'm... curious bout.. your art" the tinder caught and burst into flame. The boy let out a cheer. He curled up near the fire, sooty and sticky from the work.

There were a handful of subjects within view. To the west loomed the volcano, black against the orange-purple haze of the falling sun. Eastwards was the daemon's bride, a marvelous bit of stonework set against the misty river. Closer to Pension a yellowed eyed monkey lounged in the canopy, watching the stars. And there was the filthy child huddled by the fire.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Ice

Pension smiled at his words . He was also impressed with his fire making skills. " I see.  Well thank you." He said with a soft smile now. He topped the paper as he thought about what to draw.

He then smiled as he picked something now. It was a few trees that had some unusual looking fruits on them. He got a really focused look on his face as he began. One might not that his hand shook a bit as he did so.

Whim

(Sorry! Its been a rough week.)

Many-hued and spikey, the unusual fruit grew in bunches and resembled plump flowers. A lovely subject for a sketch or painting. Sketching it didn't feel much different to Pension... the tiny movements his fingers, perspective, shading, all came naturally as ever....

Ewan meanwhile was growing restless near the fire. He had his little book and supposed he could work on some spells for the journey. Maybe some poultices to keep them comfortable in the heat? But he felt twitchy and restless and not tired at all. So he sidled up behind Pension to take a peak.

"Its pretty fruit," the boy teased loudly with a smirk, "but why not do one of your trusty guide, huh?"

The finished product was good, but not brilliant as it ought have been. The talent was there but so were mistakes. Perhaps it was Ewan being obnious? Or perhaps the more relaxed bird was not paying close attention to detail...

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Ice

( It's alright I understand)

Pension frowned as he stared at what he had drawn. It was not what he thought it should have been. Heart was much much better then this. He looked to the boy now giving a slight sigh as he tried to smile at him. It was not the work that he usually did. And that kind of bugged him some.

" Well it's not as good as it should have been. There are mistakes that should not be there. My are is usually perfect. Either I'm tired or I'm just not focused enough ." Pension said with a sigh. He then looked to the boy and smiled.

" Is there something you would like to do ?" He asked in a slightly calmer voice. He was wanting a distraction now. He had a bad thought in his mind now. Wondering if his career was over now.

Whim

Ewan squinted at the page, then to the fruit. "It looks, to me, like whatever that spiny fruit is." He didn't know much about art.

The boy considered Pension's question, idly tossing his spell book up in the air and catching it. He felt antsy, likr running or climbing, "I don't know. You could draw me? Or so could try using magic. See if that dumb spirit is right?"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Ice

Pension smiled at the boys comment. He knew that most would not see what he did. Would not notice the small differences that artists always noticed. " Heh thank you." He said with a slight laugh.

He then heard what else the boy had said to him now. " It's up to you. Might be kind of interesting to see if he was lying or not though." Pension said. His persona was about to change again. Though he tried not show it.

Whim

Ewan slapped his book onto a fallen log turned makeshift bench, and began flipping from page to page. He hadn't tried many of them in a while. He hadn't the strength. Was it some long-repressed sorcer that made him so antasy? "I've got one to mend wounds, but we're not cut up. I can make plants grow, but that's sort of boring, unless its a man-eater! Or change one of us into an animal. Do you fancy that? This one tames forest beasts!" Ewan counted off the spells on his fingers.

When all was said and done an impish smirk crossed his face and he looked to Pension, "So! What do you suppose we'd ought to try?"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Ice

Pension just listened as the boy was talking about his spells. His persona whent back to his intellectual persona. The one who liked to learn new things. The thing was he could never keep in one mind set for very long. Especially when all of then wanted out at the same time. It was a real hassle to deal with at times.

" Well I would say you could try the animal one but I think you would have to change yourself. Because technically speaking I am already one.  Or you could try to take an animal but that could be risky." He said. He seemed to be thinking as he spoke. One thing about his personas was that none of them knew how to make soild desions. That sometimes could be a bad thing.

Tags: