Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Only The Blessed [m]

Started by Draconian, June 29, 2015, 03:08:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draconian

Treated with a little more care, Sunniva fell flat onto her belly after being shoved through the doors. Her chin whacked against the ground painfully and she sat up slowly, another persons hand on her arm, another set of memories she didn't want. A fight with his wife, the voices were so fresh in her mind. The anger so potent. She'd screamed at him about this prophet being a mage and if he loved mage so much, just move to Serendipity.

After she was helped up, Sunniva ripped her arm away and kept her head down. So close. Sunniva just needed to be a little closer to make him sweat. Would he know it was from her? Sunniva hadn't heard any other women and a mordecai would have been noticed by now. Her heart in her chest thumped and as told, she kept as silent as possible.

Their names? "Our names?"  Sunniva said softly, seeing herself for a moment through Mercuxio's eyes and she turned her head to him and lifted her eyebrow, frowning at him slightly before she turned to face the seemingly kind old man. "I am Samantha and this is Marcus, I... It's a pleasure to meet you, Father Crane." She gave him a low bow and held it, not willing to bring about the ire of Edd again. He may put his face near her face and she wasn't sure she could resist smashing in him in the nose with it.

Lion

Merric had considered blurting out the truth.  Why lie if they were prisoners anyway?  But he held his tongue and looked at Father Crane.  The 'Father' bowed his head in greeting.  "Welcome to Brisianntine," he said and gestured to Edd.  "Shall we make our guests more comfortable?"

"No, Father.  We don't know much about them.  I think it's best for all of us if we keep them bound."

"As you see it," Crane said, bowing his head again.  "You a priest, Marcus.  That I can plainly see.  But you, Samantha.  Who are you?  Why are you in the company of a member of the Ansgarian Clergy?"

"She's a nun," Merric quickly said.  "She was traveling with me while I was making my way to a small village in the Hollow.  The armor was meant for protection.  The roads are rife with highwaymen."

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Draconian

Hurray for being kept bound.

Sunniva kept her head down and her mouth closed, though her hands were a give away. Occasionally she flexed them into white knuckled fists and she simply nodded along with whatever Mercuxio was saying. A nun. Well, at some point she was going to be a nun, so at least just their names were lies. Marcus and Samantha. Marcus and Samantha.

Maybe it would have been easier to be mute instead of blind.

Currently there were only voices, quiet shuffles, gentle movements. The voices echoed through the grand chapel and Sunniva slowly lifted her head towards the ceiling, taking deep calming breaths. One of them had to be the bad guy between the pair, they'd shun one and warm up to the other and Mercuxio had more advantages, like seeing, and the Crane fellows potential magic working around him. Maybe...

It was hard to motion to people when you weren't sure they were looking at you. "We have places to be, Father, if you would be so kind as to return our horse and remove the bindings we would be happy to spread the word of your being on our travels."

Lion

"Spread the word?  Oh, no, we can't have that.  If we told everyone, then everyone would just want to come here.  And it's not as if we have plenty of food to go around.  That being said, we always share with guests.  The others are just setting dinner.  Please, won't you join us.  Edd, you can come too," he said and nodded to the man.

They were dragged through the door into the rectory at the rear of the chapel.  The furnishings were simple, much like any other priest's might have been, and Merric was sure Crane was content in playacting the role of holy man to a T.  He just hoped the food would be better.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Draconian

oh joy.

Dinner time. While Sunniva was hungry, she wasn't keen on eating around strangers. It was embarrassing and more often than not she spilled things on herself. It would also not be polite to pretend to be sick, so Sunniva didn't put up a fight when she was dragged along, or rather, pushed along. Thankful for no onslaught of memories this time.

The dreams she'd have tonight. Sunniva physically winced at the prospect of sleeping. Since they were guests, they were seated first and their bindings removed. Sunniva was quick to rub her raw wrists but for the most part she was quiet. It hadn't gone to plan, she hadn't raised their ire. "Father Crane, your men believe you are Ansgar reborn, to simply be in your presences makes my heart flutter with joy." Sunniva smiled, trying her best to appear as innocent as a messy haired blind girl could.

Lion

Crane laughed.  "Please.  There's no need to flatter me.  I am as much of flesh as you are," he quickly added.  "There's no need to pretend this is some ceremonious occasion, for it is not.  You are here by chance, but though you are guests, you are still strangers among us.  Most of the villagers here know to be wary of such people."

He grinned at them however, just as the food was carried out onto the table.  And just as Merric had expected.  What expense was saved from décor was spent on food.  There had to be enough here to feed ten people and their families!

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

Sunniva had the good graces to duck her head and nod, even managing to blush a little and before long she cleared her throat. "I regret to tell you that I am fasting at the moment," She didn't trust them. She didn't trust the food. Sunniva had gone without before and she could do it again. Too nervous to eat anyway. "I will partake in conversation and water, if you would be so kind?"

Lion

"Surely a long journey is the wrong time to be fasting," Crane said as he looked at Sunniva.  "Please eat.  I insist."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

Sunniva gave a false laugh but inside she cursed, not having anymore excuses. The attempt at a fast had been her grasping at straws and she would just appear rude now and what did crazy people do to rude people? Sunniva bet they got eaten.

A few deep quick breaths and she simply nodded, "I suppose I can break my fast for you, Father Crane, and resume it tomorrow. It is a special occasion, it's not every day a nun such as myself gets to dine with one such as you." Her fingers clenched in her lap and she gave a quick smile before ducking her head back down, trying her best not to find the nearest knife and just... Snuff out someones life.

Potentially these are all terrible people.

With families. And homes.

Lion

Merric watched the exchange between the pair and when Crane's eyes fell on him, he met his brown ones with the cold ice of his own.  The man tilted his head and furrowed his brow at him.  "Is something the matter, Father Marcus?"

Merric wanted to throw the knife that was in his hand directly at him.  He was certain he would get it into his throat.  He would sink it into that loose thin flesh and pull it across.  Easy.  Except that there was no doubt that Edd and his men would be quickly upon him, either to prevent the attack, or to kill him in the aftermath.

"No," he said, and bowed his head.  "The food smells wonderful.  I'm afraid eating on the road, and in many inns, food leaves much to be desired.  We have been out...a long time, as you can see.  We don't have our proper table manners.  Please.  Let us bless this food.  Ansgar the Brave, we look to thee for guidance and courage.  That we may learn to shape ourselves into your image.  We are but mortal men ...and woman...and could never know the full extent of your glory.   Bless all that we have, from our clothing, to our food, to our homes.  Thank you for all that we are, and all we may yet become.  Amen."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

"Amen."

It felt like blasphemy but still, she whispered her amen and kept her head bowed. The feeling of uselessness becoming more apparently as the time dragged on. Not only had she risked her own life but perhaps the Fathers as well. However, these people were not the ones from earlier and on some level, that worried her. Gently her hand pressed to her bruised side and she suddenly felt very tired, giving a soft sigh she shifted in her seat.

Maybe...

Sunniva let her head droop down and she went quiet and still.

"Blossom?" A rough male voice said and she felt a hand on her shoulder, a soft shake. That meant that one of them had chosen to sit beside her, hurray. Still, she stayed quiet, a rougher shake and she slumped sideways in her chair. "Uh..." The hand left her and she stayed slumped over in the chair, making sure to breath softly so that she seemed asleep.

Maybe she'd get out of dinner this way. Couldn't eat if she was sleeping!

Lion

It was Merric that stood and took Edd's hand away from Sunniva.  "Please keep your hands to yourself in such a manner," he said, his look stern.  Though Edd had bound them both not so long ago, he slowly rescinded his hand, placing it on the table and grabbing onto the fork as the meal was being served.

"She is a nun.  And pure in the eyes of God.  To touch her is a disgrace to God and yourself.  Please keep your hands off of her," he said sharply.

"As you say," Edd replied, bowing his head.  He glanced to Crane for approval and the man only gestured to listen to the priest.

"Thank you," he said and looked at Sunniva.  Merric was the one then that adjusted her in the seat and took a portion of the duck that was served and nudged her to open her mouth.  "Food, Sister Samantha.  You need to eat.  You haven't eaten since yesterday."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

Sunniva wasn't one to swear. If anything she came up with colourful alternatives. So, when Mercuxio foiled her pretend sleeping plan she silently and mentally uttered a simple, 'well, fuck.' Sometimes, eyes were extra useful, you could glare with those. Instead, she just frowned deeply and adjusted herself in her seat. Damn this priest. Though, she appreciated his sudden agreement for people to not touch her, which was leaps and bounds better than his opinion of it before.

To go with the being weak and tired spiel she gently pushed away his hand, making a tired noise. Eventually she just sat up and squeezed her pants, teeth clenched. Fine. She'd play along. "I haven't. I'm afraid I feel faint." She gasped softly, taking the offered food and chewing swallowing and feeling humiliated and angry all while doing so. All of her attempts at lies were being foiled by this damnable priest. And the fake damnable priest. "Please, tend to yourself Father Marcus," her hand went out to the table and completely on accident she knocked over a cup.

Luckily it was empty, but still, her face heated with embarrassment and she took a breath and cleared her throat, slowly drawing her hands back"Perhaps I should... Not reach across the table. I'm afraid I don't know where everything is." Completely honest, her tone was sheepish and she gave a small apologetic smile.

Lion

A barking laugh did erupt, from the few other men that bothered to join Crane's table.  They were wary of the priest as this so called nun.  The armor and the looks the received from them were doubly suspicious and Edd had a feeling they weren't merely pilgrims.  Why stray from the main road if they were?  Certainly one might try to avoid bandits by taking detours, and yet one could easily attract said bandits by taking detours.

Soldiers were all over the place these days.

When Sunniva's face burned red, Edd quickly raised his hand to the man that dared laugh, throwing a piece of bread at him.  "Shut ya yap, Rowan.  Or I'll shut it for you."

"Edd!"  It was Crane this time.  "All of you show some respect!  This is not your little copse of trees that you all crawl around in.  This is the house of God!  Now eat, and drink in silence if you have nothing to add to conversation."

Mercuxio watched them all, wishing he'd had his mace with him.  Crane was so close.  "So, Father Marcus."  Merric blinked and turned to Crane.  "How long have you been with the clergy?  You seem awfully young."

"I have been a priest for many years," he answered slowly.  "Almost as long as my friend Sister Samantha has been a member of the cloth.  We met in the same rectory, trying to help the poor in the Western part of the Hollow.  And remained friends ever since.  What about you Crane?  How long have you been here?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

Sunniva gave an ever so slight frown, Mercuxio was young? A not so well hid shudder at the memory he had unintentionally shared and she made a face before she quickly fixed her seating, her fingers just resting on the table. This was awkward. Usually Sunniva ate her meals alone and it was usually nothing fancy and now there were strangers around and it wasn't until she heard noise at her plate did she realize one of the men - Edd it must have been - was plating her meal for her.

More embarrassment.

Across the table, the Crane spoke up, "I've been here for a time," Which was delightfully vague and there was a pause. Sunniva frowned at her plate, the smell of food much closer than before and picked up her fork, not at all interested in eating. So she just sat there and listened. "It feels like I've been here forever, this place, this village - they feel like where I am meant to be," Father Crane took a bite of food and chewed thoughtfully, eyeing the pair.

Carefully, Sunniva took a bite of food and remained quiet.

"Perhaps I've always been fated to be here, to Shepherd them to the Light." There was a kind look towards Sunniva though she didn't see it. "You see now why we can't go telling everyone about my presence here, it would cause an uproar! One such as me hiding away here, to grace these people. It's hardly fair but... It is how it must be. Don't you agree, Father Marcus?"

Lion

No, he would not agree.  In fact if any of this farce contained any grain of truth, it would be a greater sin to keep such a thing a secret.  Ansgar was meant to be shared with all of his children.  And if one man truly were God in the flesh, why hide it? 

Clearly this man did not hide it.  He believed himself to be what he said that he was.  Mercuxio knew when to doubt.  He was a Confessor, and would find the truth, even if blood had to be spilled in the process.

"Yes," he answered aloud, reaching for cup of water that was served in front of him.  He sniffed it first, watching Edd watching him, and slowly took a sip.  Just in case.  He only wet his palette and let it linger on his tongue before he swallowed a bite of food.  He smiled at Crane.  "The people here seem awfully destitute.  Surely they have farming or some form of steady income.  And yet...your chapel, seems rather well cared for.  I understand it is a house of God.  But it does strike me as odd."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

"My dear boy," Crane began, hands hands folded in front of him on the table, giving Mercuxio a fatherly smile, "You need not concern yourself with such things. If the people were unhappy, would they not raise their voices? They want to give to the chapel, it is by the graciousness of this town that you are being so well cared for." Again, he grew silent as he ate a bite of his meal, taking notice how little the two guests were eating. Pecking at it even, as it this meal wasn't good enough for them.

Really it was the other way around. They weren't enough to eat at his table. Crane wasn't a stupid man and Marcus and Samantha seemed more than what they said they were. Still, being polite was key and as long as they thought he believed them, all would be well. Crane watched the blind girl push the food around on her plate with her fork and did his best not to frown at her, that Marcus fellow would notice and probably say something about it.

"Edd," Crane began.

"Yea, Father?"

"When the meal is finished, take Father Marcus and Sister Samantha to our guest room, I imagine they're exhausted from their traveling." There was a nod from Edd, to which Mercuxio got a dirty look and Sunniva seemed to sink into herself slightly, ducking her head farther down to hide herself behind her drape of red hair.

"Yes, Father." The meal was underway and unless Marcus had more questions, Crane didn't push any topics.

Lion

Yes, he had plenty more questions.  But none, he knew that would be prudent to ask in this point in time.  There would be no point to accusations that would only result in his head being spilled out all over the floor and would lead this to be a futile venture.  And he was wondering in part if this wasn't already one.

Mercuxio instead ate in silence, picking at his meal until it was cold.  It was when Edd was finished that it was decided that they were too and they were quickly led to the room where they would be held as 'guests."  Merric turned to Edd, just before the door would close, and he caught a glimpse of a wicked smile.

"What about our things?" he quickly asked.

"Get some rest, Father.  You'll need it."  And the door was bolted shut.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

You'll need it?

Sunniva frowned and turned towards the door being bolted shut.

Quickly enough she moved to press her fingers to the door, sighing softly and finally pressing her forehead to it. Sunniva pressed her hands to the door and first traced it from one side of the room to the other, mostly ignoring Mercuxio's presence. Knowing how large the room was would be important. "I suppose you have some questions," She said softly, taking a few steps into the room, her shoulders back and her head straight.

Sunniva was referring to earlier, on the horse.

Lion

In all her silence, Merric had forgotten about her in spirit.  And was only then reminded of her when she bothered to speak up.  After all that inactivity during dinner.  "Questions indeed.  There seem to be an endless chain of those," he said with unbridled frustration.  He sighed, hissing a little and turning to observe the room.

Two beds, thankfully.  But not that it mattered really to him, because he didn't plan on sleeping in this room for long, if at all.

"You were sent to kill Crane weren't you?" he asked quickly.  "But your guards were traitors, meant to kill you.  Do you think it was Crane's men that got to you first, or simply a coincidence that your assassins would strike you the moment you were heading to this village?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn