Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Watch Out For Falling Rocks

Started by visualspice, June 07, 2013, 02:40:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

"A..A... AVALANCHE!" was the first words that sputtered from Ophen Mystus's mouth the moment he realized what he conceived, for he hadn't meant to start the massive rock slide down the Kenoto Mountain slope, but it was too late. And it was what it was, and now he was rushing down the mountain side for dear life; fists tight and legs pumping hard and heavy as veins throbbed within his neck.

Pibbles, his dwarf blue dragon, took to the air, fanning out his wings and riding the down draft of the thing as he let out a 'squee' for help.

"Don't worry, Pibbles, we'll get out of this, just keep flying!" Ophen shouted, but the dragon was sweating up a storm, even crying a little as it tried to remain coasted above the mess, but to no avail. It appeared as if the massive tumbling rocks were about to eat him, and it was only then Ophen realized how much danger his dragon companion was in when he glanced over his shoulder.

Letting out a gasp, the massive man spun around on his heels, digging his boots into the ground before leaping clean into the air, over the rocks, and then on top of them, somehow managing to leap his way upon the mass of tumbling rocks beneath him until he grabbed a hold of the dragon, just as his boots got caught and jostled against a tumbling rock.

With another yelp, the rocks consumed him, and down the hill side he went. It wasn't until the dust settled were a pair of boots revealed beneath a pair of heavy boulders. And the only thing on Ophen's mind was- he hoped nobody had gotten hurt. And that his dragon companion was still alive.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Spirit

A sigh escaped Ailith as she started across the bottom of the mountain, the soles of her heels throbbing. Travel had etched itself on her face, making exhaustion look like a companion. Her eyes fluttered and she rubbed her temples in annoyance.
     Where in the gods' names am I? The road sign said left, but there is no tavern or even the smallest hint of one. she thought with grief.
     True, her stomach rumbled, but this had not been the first time the warrioress had went without food; in fact, she distinctively recalled the familiar pains of hunger and reminiscenced on the days where she fasted with Pythagoras. It was difficult, but his support was always a comfort.
     The only difference is that there is no one to pass the time - just the hunger, exhaustion and I.
     She closed her eyes, listening to the birds around her. Each one of them seemed to be taking in some sort of grand experience with their lives; each had their own voice and harmonized with each other, like the cross hairs of the overlapping destinies within life. It reminded her eerily of those that continued to keep their path crossing over another's: friends, loved ones.
     It saddened her.
     Her distraction was held for what seemed to be an eternity. The birds' songs of life and the natural rushing of water soothed her, protected her—
     Suddenly the ground began to shake, sending vibrations and jolts of danger up her legs. Ailith opened her eyes, staring into the forefront of large rocks. The boulders varied in size, but bound down the mountain in a frenzy with no true destination. What..?
     She froze in place, disbelief set along her delicate brow. Running was futile. How did she not sense—
     The rocks hit their target, battering against her body, knocking her down and eventually burying her underneath the rock. Ailith shifted with discomfort, groaning. The rock above her was far too large, barely budging as she attempted to push the massive stone off her.

visualspice

It had taken him just a few tries before one triumphant grunt, and both boulders had been shoved off his body. He wheezed, punching his fist into his chest in attempts to catch his breath, wheezing all the way when his ears caught the sounds of a groan. And then the sounds of a whimper, as he peered down at Pibble, who remained within his arms, though a bit crushed.
"Oh, thank the Gods you are ok!" Ophen declared, hugging the creature, which made it yelp out in pain. "Er, sorry little buddy," and he set the blue dragon down amongst the rocks, then moved to dust himself off as he sat upon the boulders that would other wise have turned him into dust.

"That was a close one. We could have been killed!"
THough technically he should have, so when he heard a groan of pain not too far away, his blue eyes widened in a panic. Whirling around, he saw just a hand sticking out beneath a boulder and gasped, racing towards it (though it was only a few bounds away).

"Hey... hello?" And he blinked, curiously tilting his head. Pibble, who had been disoriented a moment, shook it off and leapt over the boulders, landing to perch on Ophen's broad shoulder.
"Hey... is someone under there?" Though obviously there was, he wasted no time in grabbing onto the largest boulder with his massive arms and with a few grunts, picked up the boulder before carelessly tossing it away. The rock went sailing into the air, and seemed to disappear clear into the sky. It was only then he peered down at the poor woman who had been smashed beneath the rocks and gasped. His blue dragon seemed to do the same.

"By the Gods! Are you ok!?" he asked, crouching down near to her, but too afraid to just pick her up, lest he was too late, and all of her bones were smashed within her body. And if so, he'd NEVER be able to live that down. To think.. him KILLING someone!? And even on accident.. it was through a wrench in his heart.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Spirit

The boulder itself was simply too heavy and Ailith could not lift it. She groaned again in pain, trying to catch her breath.
     "Hey...hello?" a voice called out, worry in its timbre. A man.
     Ailith shifted yet again, trying to draw attention to her trapped body. Her hand stuck out, feeling the air of the day time and the warmth of the sun.
     "Hey, is someone under there?" the voice again.
     She tried to move her hand but to no avail. The rock was simply too large and pinned her down with its natural power. Ailith inhaled, testing to see if her lungs were no crushed. Fortunately, they were not. Her body had endured it well, just as expected from the traveling warrior.
     The large stone was tossed off her, but that was the last she saw from it. Above her stood a large man with broad shoulders, a well-toned body. His hair was a long, pleasant brown. His eyes were soft, gentle, with the largest hint of blue. Did he lift that boulder off me? Ailith was amazed. The man before her was a monster despite what his eyes revealed to be like. Behind them was something else: concern, worry, perhaps guilt?
     Perched on his shoulder was a small dragon, blue by nature. A dragon? The one creature she yearned for, right before her eyes...
     "By the Gods! Are you OK?" he stumbled over his words, obvious worry wracked in his voice. He peered down at her before crouching down beside her. His arms extended but retracted just as quickly, as if in hesitation. Ailith saw his hesitation and knew: he was afraid of harming her.
     The gesture seemed naturally odd to her, causing a laugh to come from her mouth. She shook her head and placed one hand on the ground next to her, opposite to him. Ailith used her hand to push herself off the ground and stand straight.
     Ailith dusted the dirt from her legs and boots. Her eyes held his for a moment.
     She shrugged. "No harm done," she replied with casual grace. Her eyes wandered to the top of the mountain; they lingered a moment before she returned her gaze to the man in front of her. "I must thank you for letting me out of there. It was getting a bit suffocating," she mused.

visualspice

Ophen wilted through a sigh of relief.
"Oh thank the Gods you're ok. When I started that avalanche back there I was afraid I'd hurt someone!" He admitted, withdrawing from her side in a bit of a retreating fashion as he gave her a look over, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly. He noted she was covered in dirt and dust from the rocks. Then he blinked and looked down at himself. He faired no different.

"I suppose someone should post a warning sign or something. That the rocks are prone to slip down the mountain side," he said through a blushed smile. He was still rubbing at the back of his neck. Boy did he feel like quite the fool!

Spirit

Ailith gave him a smirk.
     "Perhaps they should, but perhaps there is no need for one," she ventured, curious as to why the avalanche started in the first place. Actually - Ailith had many questions. For example, how did he get that boulder off her? True, he looked strong, but how strong?
     She finished dusting the dirt off her before looking at the sun. She glanced around, surprised at the destruction around her. Rocks and stones were covering every small inch of the land, making it impossible to tell where they were specifically or which way to go. Ailith stopped her small excursion, looking at him once again.
     Pain had rose into her back and she rubbed it, only to find it tender. It really is only just soreness. Nothing major.
     "What were you doing on that mountain?" Ailith inquired, staring at the man in front of her.

visualspice

"Digging for gold," he told her in earnest. "I was told that at the top of this mountain, you could literally dig through the boulders at the top of the hill and you'd be able to find a ton of gold. But most men aren't as strong as me, so the men who told me about it suggested I go look into it." He shrugged, as if it were no big deal. "So I came here, though it was quite a journey- definitely a lot further than I anticipated," he said with another sheepish rub to the back o fhis neck. "But my family needs the money. My little niece had gotten really ill and the medicine my uncle needs for her are expensive. When I was told about this opportunity, I couldn't let it pass me by. And I also promised old Lady Marna I'd get her some gold nuggets, too. So er... yeah, that's what brought me out here. Though all I've found are rocks and well... no luck on that gold." ANd he blushed at that. "So if youwere here for the same thing," he said with a bit of a laugh. "You might want to rethink that idea! I didn't realize how easy it was to make an avalanche by moving the rocks, so I'll be doubly careful next time I try again."
Because he still was thoroughly focused on bringing back some gold to help his family.

Spirit

Ailith smiled, pitying the man. "I do not believe there is any treasure in that mountain."
     She remember clearly about the ore she saw on the mountain Pythagoras lived on: it was naturally encrusted in rocks in chunks. This mountain seemed far too..thin for such a thing. No, she truly did not believe there were any treasures hidden in the mountainside nor inside it.
     With a shake of her head, Ailith gave him a sheepish smile. "In fact, I believe someone may have lied to you, although the probability of that is unimaginable. Do you have any enemies?"
     She guessed no, simply due to his overall shameless, seemingly-innocent nature. A man such as him, having any sort of enemies?
     "It is unfortunate about your family," she circled around the topic, wanting to ease into it, "Perhaps there is something I can do to help your uncle afford the correct medicine?" she asked, a genuine look of sympathy on her face.

visualspice

"Well, my niece needs a rare plant called the Vestala plant, which only grows in the Jungles south of Essyrn. It's quite a far travel, and a dangerous one, too. So it costs an enormous amount of gold. Thankfully I have a lot of strength to use, so people pay me good money to help them with chores they would normally pay ten men to do, where as with me, they only have to pay one. I've lifted barns and stables and houses and things, as well as helped move live stock that was too ill to walk on it's own, and managed to save it so they wouldn't hav eot be killed by bringing it in to the stables so it could be out of the weather." He shrugged. "But oh, to answer your question from earlier, enemies?" he tapped a thumb to his lip. "I wouldn't think so, though some are wary about me. I know I mentioned I had strength but well.. it seems to come with a price."

Or rather, the strength came to a person who was as clumsy and sometimes bubbly as Ophen. They all knew he had a good heart, but some people just couldn't swallow him down. He had probably broken more things than he fixed, though the things he DID help with, he did well, and normally was enough for the townsfolk to over look his oafishness.

Spirit

Ailith frowned in thought. Who, by any gods, would ever wish harm to such an innocent, kind fellow? Or perhaps there's more to meet the eye...
     Snapping from her thoughts, she nodded to him. "Well, I can help you any way I can," she stated with a smile. Her stomach interupted her mid-sentence however. She laughed. "Apologies about that. Traveling does a toll on your body."
     She could not keep her eyes off the small blue dragon on his shoulder; in fact, there were still many things that intrigued her about this man. "What is your name?"

If this man had been tricked, by any possible person who may have some type of grudge against him, it would be one of power. It seems pointless to hate him, just for what he is. This thought struck her differently, forming a cloud of doubt over her conscience; it also reminded her of the mysterious runes on her body, of how much people resented her due to her difference. This man by far had many major differences about him.

visualspice

"Pib!" the little blue dragon seemed to reply, though it was more a croaked bark of a yip than actually saying it's name. Either way, Ophen smiled broadly and introduced his little friend.
"This is Pib! He and I have been friends ever since I mended his wing from an injury when he was young, though he's grown much since then." The dragon stared back at Ailith with it's red eyes. And he seemed to be smiling. "He pretty much follows me anywhere I go."

"Chu," the dragon replied, giving a slow wag of it's tail.

"Though.. hey.. sorry again about the avalanche. Here you are offering to assist me when I should be the one offering to help you. Are any of your bones broken or do you feel bruised? I know my back is killing me after becoming buried under a pile of boulders." he said, now pressing his fingers into his neck as he started to massage it with a wince.

Spirit

Ailith watched the man in front of her, happy and content with his small friend. Deep within her she also yearned for friendship, trust, loyalty. It was a difficult thing, losing Pythagoras; it created a void within her, locking away the ability to trust. Fear had guided her many times: onto paths with less people, into unfamiliar territory with nothing there that breathed for miles. It was fear that controlled her best, forming a chain link around her throat, suffocating any freedom she desired. It was the fear of losing the love and sense of security she desperately formed with Pythagoras.
     With everything in her, she could not place the ease she felt around him; the innocence was pure enough, his intentions were fair, but he was nothing to fear. Perhaps that is it. He is so innately good that worrying over him would be pointless: he never intends to hurt. Not even with his own tongue. This struck her odd: any man with his abilities would gain such confidence, an arrogance, if you will. His head would become too big and any type of hope to be kind would be abolished.
     Yet he was different. No power swelled his head nor had the extensive kindness gain him any loyalty. Life often surprised her with its unfairness— it was in these situations this occurred.
     "Chu," the little dragon chimed, causing Ailith to smile at it. True it was small, but its entire existence sorely reminded her of Pythagoras. The race of the mighty dragon - power and majesty with every breath. Even this small one holds itself up to the same standard. Truthfully, it amazed her, seeing just how it lives, how it perches on his shoulder, and smiled with its eyes down at her, as if it too once knew Pythagoras and his might.
     Ailith zoned for a moment but quickly snapped back to reality as she heard him speak. "Are any of your bones broken or do you feel bruised?" he asked then proceeded to describe his back pain.
     In truth, her head seemed to be giving her a migraine, which seemed normal. Her entire body was sore, perhaps a few bruises here and there would show, but nothing too serious. "Nothing too serious," she replied, stating about her soreness and maybe some bruising.
     She watched as he attempted to rub the apparent soreness from his neck. Ailith nodded in understanding.
     "Oh, my name is Ailith Deltoria."

visualspice

Ophen turned to her and gave her a crooked grin.
"The name's Ophen, Ophen Mystus!" And he put his hand out for her to shake. Though he paused to consider, "Er.. and sorry we couldn't have met under better circumstances. Though I'm glad to hear you're ok but... I still have to ask.. er.. " And here he blushed again. "So you're sure there's no gold here? If not.. well, shoot.I'll have to figure something out. Though I suppose I should head home. I only told my folks I'd be gone for a week, and I've already spent the better half of four days to get here cause er... I sort of got lost."
The dragon wilted a little, as if recalling the memories unhappily.

Spirit

"No, I am not entirely sure there is no gold here," Ailith confessed, keeping her eyes on the large man in front of her. She sighed, looking over the rocks around them. Her brow furrowed in thought, seeking the explanation she could give him: one that would ensure that it would be in his best interests to leave the treacherous mountain.
     "But you must admit, Ophen," she started, pronouncing his name as if it were foreign, "that it could not be just sheer coincidence that this mountain would fall as she dug up the rocks." Ailith glanced up at him, pity flashing in her dark green orbs. "In fact, if someone knew of the gold up there, do you not think they would know of the fragility of the mountain as well?
     "I do believe it was not a coincidence," she continued, "because had it been, there would be gold down here with us, would you not agree?"

[OOC: SLEEP IS GOOD FOR THE SOUL. /otherwise common sense is totally thrown out here haha.]

visualspice

Ophen stared at Ailith for a good long while as he digested what she said, rubbing his chin in thought.
"Say, you might have something there." He looked at all of the debris, and began to work off dusting the gritty rock dust off of his massive form. "Perhaps the men didn't realize the dangers here. Yeah, I should probably head back home quickly to warn them, so they themselves don't' try to scale here. Any normal person could have gotten killed!" And his dragon seemed to agree as it gave a short 'sreee' of a call from where he remained perched upon his shoulder.

Spirit

Ailith simply stared at the man, a mixture of disbelief and fear. This man truly believes it was unintentional?
     "Uh, Ophen," she started, smiling slightly at the large man, "perhaps..."
     His natural innocence stopped her, ceasing her from exploiting her opinion on the matter. A part of her desperately thought it should be this way. There would be no changing how he thought any how. It was best to let things play out as they should.
     "...perhaps I should come with you for some company. Where do you live?" In truth, the man did not need protection or guidance, but if he were to meet the men who did this, she wanted to most definitely meet them as well.

visualspice

Ophen turned to her with a start at her suggestion, but then was soon smiling from ear to ear.
"Really? You'd want to travel with me? I never had a traveling partner, well, unless you count Pib, but well, even he and I don't travel too often from town." The dragon made another noise, seeming to smile sheepishly as it peered over at Ailith.

Then at her second part of the posed question, his smile grew.
"And I'm from the small town of Adanlasia. It's in the Serha plains. Though about a few days hike from here, sorry to say, er.. unless you don't mind following me for so long, then I'd be more than happy to have the company!"

Spirit

Ailith .}

The cheekiness of the man amused her. His demeanor was quite light which blended perfectly with his careful-to-spot innocence. It was in his eyes: no violence, no rage, no malice. For that, no man such as him deserves what happened today.

"Of course," she smiled, "it would be my pleasure to travel with you." Perhaps if I do follow him, I could spot the men that did this. Although this man looks like he could take care of himself - regardless. It isn't right.

visualspice

"Really? That's great!" Ophen exclaimed in earnest. "I think there's the trail I followed down this way, come on." ANd he gestured for her to follow him, but he, not being the brightest at following directions, (or even remembering simple three step processes, let alone which trail int he middle of the woods he had taken...) soon found himself following a trail that lead to a river that looked anything but familiar. He scratched at the tip of his nose in thought.
"Say.. I don't recall a river on the trail I had taken. I wonder where I had taken a wrong turn." Though to see the water was refreshing, and his throat was still parched from the avalanche, so he took this moment to crouch down beside the waters, scooped some up inside his hands and took a few hearty gulps.
"Say, looks like we made a wrong turn, so err.. I'll have to look at my map to get my barrings." Though honestly, he probably wouldn't be able to figure out which way they had gone, even with the map. THough that ws the farthest thing from hsi mind. He wasn't worried at all as he took a moment to sit down by the river, splashed his face with the cool waters then plucked off his shoes and began to dump out the rocks that had collected within them.

"So Ailith.. where are you from anyways?"

Spirit

Ailith .}

Hours had past when Ailith had agreed to follow Ophen, the large man she met due to unfortunate events.

She began to have suspicions they had been lost since the first time Open paused and rubbed the back of his neck. The traveler remained quiet, hoping he would find his way soon enough. This never happened, unfortunately; soon enough, she found them pausing at a river for rest. The thoughtful face and confused expressions looked all too familiar. They were still lost.

"Say," he began, scratching his nose, "I don't recall a river on the trail I had taken. I wonder where I had taken a wrong turn." Ophen knelt next to the river and pooled the water into his hands and took several swigs.

"Say, looks like we made a wrong turn, so err..I'll have to look at my map to get my barrings," he said.

Ailith gave a soft smile in his direction despite his back turned to her. Her travels taught her to have patience when it was needed, although she was never this quite calm when it came to others. Ophen seems generally harmless. There was no point in getting angry. Simple mistakes were mistakes - any one could make them.

"So Ailith, where are you from any ways?" he asked. She sat down at his side, legs crossed in front of her.

"That is an interesting question," she said. Deep down - she knew of her background as the daughter of two poor farmers, but they were long gone. Even more so was her inability to ignore the feeling of being the pupil of Pythagoras. It was something she felt was her true identity. "Well," she began, "I originally come from a poor family of farmers - just my father and I because my mother had died during birth - but that was only six years of my life.

"Bandits raided my father's farm; it was an easy target, with no trading partners or other neighbors in sight, at the very end of Le'ranna, it was bound to be targeted at some point. Any way," she sighed, recalling the story, "my father was killed in the raid and the bandits took me. I have no clue what they were going to do with me, perhaps sell me, but that changed in the middle of the very next night. A dragon by the name of Pythagoras rescued me and scared them all away." Ailith closed her eyes, remembering all of the memories from that night.

"After that, I became his pupil. He taught me everything I would ever need to know: swordplay, philosophy, to read and write. He was in every way a father to me. Unfortunately, he disappeared years ago and I have yet to see him again. Nowadays, I spend my time traveling." She shifted towards him, looking into the man's eyes. "But what about you? Where did you get that strength from?"