Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Justice Wears a Clever Disguise! (Spice!)

Started by Ivory, September 09, 2013, 06:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivory

That was unusual.  Even for Leif.  Audric regarded him calmly for a moment, and then rose.  Wordlessly, he slipped the napkin out from beneath the sandwich plate and knelt to spread the napkin over the rug.

Leif would have to sit and stew in silence while Audric carefully picked up the pieces of shattered glass.  Rising, he left the napkin over the stain and deposited the collected glass in the garbage. 

"Sit."  The single word was no longer an invitation; it was a command, and he expected Leif to obey him.

Turning his back on the other man, he poured out a cup of tea in silence.  Once the teacup was filled, he glanced over his shoulder with a frown.  "I told you to sit."

Setting the cup upon a saucer, the former soldier leaned back against his desk and leveled a solemn stare at Leif until the younger man obeyed.  Once Leif had finally settled down, Audric extended the cup towards him.  "Drink."

If the man insisted on behaving like a child, Audric would treat him like one!  But Audric could be just as proud and even more stubborn, if necessary.

"Now," he said, a full minute after Leif had finally relented.  He perched on the edge of his desk, looking down at Leif now with an air of seriousness that was usually quite unlike him.  "Talk to me, Cai.  What's going on?"

visualspice

It took two commands, but with a glare and sigh, Leif took a seat. Though when he ordered him to drink, he gave Audric an indignant expression. He wasn't ready to sit and sip tea. He was too anxious for that! Setting the cup aside, he looked up into Audric's face.

"I just told you. I'm worried about Attie..." and he grumpily shifted his weight upon the settee.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

"Drink your tea," Audric emphasized, his eyes narrow ever-so-slightly.  "It will calm you down...and Angsar knows you're jittery as a virgin on her wedding night.  I don't think I've ever seen you so distracted."  He said it lightly enough, but there was an air of seriousness about him, and the combination gave off a dangerous aura.

"If you weren't distracted, you would have heard me when I told you my sister is looking for a nanny.  That's why I asked if she likes children, Cai.  She strikes me as someone the kids would adore."

visualspice

Leif held onto his cup, but at Audric's command, he glared up at the man and steeled off his nerves.

"I suppose she does, though would your sister not recognize her? I thought we were trying to keep this a secret."A nd his eyes looked about the room with suspicion.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

"My sister is a merchant," Audric said plainly, looking at the other man skeptically.  "I was raised here in the palace, but my sisters were raised by my parents.  I visited them, but they never visited me.  They do now, of course, but they still live in town.  So, unless your sister is known to the working class of Allar...or, perhaps some sailors..."

visualspice

Leif glared at him.
"What are you implying?" He growled.

Ivory

Audric simply stared at him.

Why, he wasn't implying anything...  Obviously.  Leif was acting like a crazy person, and Audric found himself quite unsure how to deal with that...

visualspice

Leif's brows furrowed even more. "Why would you consider her friends with sailors?" Though he hadn't to put a label on them- saying a woman was friend with sailors was certainly implying she was loose- and Leif was already quick to his guard. Had he not been so tense and jittery, he'd realize Audric would never imply that. Audric teased, yes, but the tone was evidently serious.

Ivory

Audric still wasn't quite understanding why Leif was so upset...  After all, from his point of view and mindset, that certainly hadn't been what he meant!

"Merchants, Arrant.  They work with sailors to import goods.  Not the common sailor, obviously, but..."  A lightbulb came on suddenly, and Audric's frown deepened.  "Oh."  He had the grace to look a little uncomfortable, for a moment, but then he pursued his line of logic.  "What I'm trying to say is that your sister would be exposed to relatively few people, none of whom should recognize her or have reason to suspect who she is."

visualspice

Leif still felt uneasy. But he knew he had little choice on the matter, and after calming down some, he found himself sighing.

"I.. I suppose we could try. but she'd need an alias, an alibi, a whole different back story and..."
All sorts of things a masked vigilante should be great at! But it seemed, since it concerned his sister, (who was presumed dead), it put him on edge more than usual- and it also didn't help the fact that well...

his wife was pregnant.

Ivory

Audric shook his head, ever so slightly, more in exasperation than refusal or denial.  "Your sister is a remarkable woman.  I admit, I don't know her that well, but from everything I've seen, she's clever, and she's resilient.  A lesser person, man or woman, would not have survived all she has been through."  And even if they did survive, their mind, likely, would not...

Hell, Audric had been horrified enough simply seeing the aftermath.  Living through it...  He doubted he would have made it out the other side intact.

"She'll be fine.  If, that is, she wants the job."  Because she might hate children -- you just never knew!

visualspice

Leif took in a deep breath before slowly, ever so slowly, releasing it.
"I can talk to her once I get home," he said, sitting back in his chair as he swallowed the lump in his throat. Not bothering to look at Audric, he then added, "But that's not the only reason I came here." And those last words came out soft and croaky, and Leif's eyes now remained solely focused on the ceiling above.

Ivory

Audric studied the other man wordlessly as a heavy silence descended on the pair.  Leif's sister was not his only concern, then, although it may have been the easiest for him to speak of...  It made him wonder what other trouble Leif faced that would not be so easy for him to share...

"Alright," Audric prompted after some time had passed.  "What else is troubling you?"

visualspice

Leif's expression went grim. He tightened his lips however, and peered over at the other man before revealing...
"Valentina's pregnant."

Ivory

Audric's frown deepened, taking on a slightly puzzled expression.  Surely, he must not have heard the man right...  How could one look so unhappy while announcing such fantastic news?

He rubbed his ear a bit, then prompted, "Say that again?  I don't think I quite caught what you said..."

visualspice

Leif growled.
"Now's not the time to toy with me, Audric!" he snapped. "I said my wife is pregnant!" And he was shouting it this time- did he not hear him? Cause now he would, and angrily he rose from his chair.

Ivory

Audric looked a bit crestfallen.

"That's what I thought you said, but..."

Again, who could look like that when it was obviously such a good thing?

"Why are you so upset?  It's a good thing -- a really good thing -- for most of us.  I mean, sure, she'll get a little moody, and she's either too hot or too cold, and she wants to eat the weirdest thing...  But, eventually, it turns out to be a good thing!"

visualspice

Leif cut Audric a glare.
"Do you know what you're saying? Do you even realize how dangerous this could be?" Here he shook his head, finding himself trying to fight off the anger that shook him. "And it's not the pregnancy that scares me, Audric, though I highly doubt I'm fatherly material- it's everything it entails. If we bear a son, there's an heir, if not- well, it might not matter. If someone were ever to find out about us, about what I am, what I do after dark..." He shook his head and lowered his voice, realizing how terribly loud he had become. "I'd hate to think of all those who hate me who would love to get a hold of my child. It's just one more thing to worry about that.." and he cast his gaze to the floor. "I don't know what I'd do without Valentina." He hadn't considered child birth being able to kill her... but now, it was a very real threat along with the rest.

"She's barely along," he added quietly, leaning a hand into the back of his chair as he looekd at the wall away from Audric, but not at him. "It'll be only a few more months..... maybe I should give this all up."

A wise man wouldn't have even batted an eye in doing so...

"But what do I do about Attie? What about those mages? About those who I could make a difference for?" He shook his head and looked down at the floor with a frown.
"No.. having a child will be a nightmare."

Ivory

"I think I realize how dangerous it is a bit better than you think," Audric reminded him kindly, ignoring the other man's mantrum and clapping a hand on his shoulder.  "I have a son myself, remember?"

And Audric was in a far more dangerous situation.  His enemies -- Calent's enemies -- knew who he was and where he lived...  His masked persona, like Leif's, remained a mystery, yet...

"I don't think there's an easy answer.  You have to do what feels right to you -- and, no matter which you choose, there will always been a tiny voice in the back of your mind reminding you of what might happen if..."

And there were a lot of if's in their line of work...

"But I do know this.  You can't half-commit to one and half-commit to the other.  You have to commit to one -- completely.  If you choose your family, you give up being the Masked Mordecai.  If you choose to be the Masked Mordecai, your relationship might suffer, because you may not be there when your family needs you."  And that was not always an easy line to walk...

visualspice

Long after Audric spoke, his masked assistant (thought currently unmasked, remained in his chair in thoughtful contemplation. Many harrowing images flashed through his mind- considering what could be as he rose to his feet. Time was rushing through his, racing his mind and beating the drum of his heart and slowly ever so slowly, he made his way over to the window.

"No choice we make is ever simple," he began, green eyes hard and listless as they peered out into the gardens below. "This war has begun years ago,a nd only now it has ever become so bloody..."
And he took a hand, and it shook as he clenched it into a powerful fist at his side.
"And if my blood were lost before it would not have mattered. In fact, I took on the mask in order to challenge that death against a life I so despise- inwardly knowing I would lose and at least if I were to die, it would have taken me away from this life and I could have gone out doing something good."

He lowered his fist now, resting it upon the sill.

"But now I see I've dug my own grave, and now I have to choose if I wish to dance on it or walk away..."