Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Justice Wears a Clever Disguise! (Spice!)

Started by Ivory, September 09, 2013, 06:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivory

In spite of his Dukely duties, Audric still liked to visit the town.  Actually, it was pretty much because of his duties that he liked to visit.  Now that he was a Public Figure, it was harder to sneak around and chat with his contacts throughout the city.  In fact, at first, he thought it may not matter; he hardly stood out in the townsquare to make proclamations!

Unfortunately, there were plenty of other opportunities for the townsfolk to catch a glimpse of him...and it wasn't long before someone, somewhere informed everybody of who he was.

Still, the castle was stifling at best, and if Audric didn't get out to go for a walk like a regular person, he was going to stab his pillow.  Not wanting to lose a very comfortable pillow, he had instead managed to fall in with the servants as they left the palace.

The cloak he wore to conceal his identity was wrapped tightly around him now, not looking so conspicuous with the chilly wind coming down from the north.  His fine clothes had been replaced with something a little less fine, and he had his sword at his side.

And a good thing too -- because he was going to need it.

A scream shattered the silence of the darkened streets, drawing Audric's attention immediately.  He bolted in that direction, coming upon what had the makings of a grisly scene: a well-dressed girl was in an alley and surrounded by some rather dirty, crass thugs.  It didn't take a scholar to know what it was they wanted from the pretty young thing...

Audric would be sorely outnumbered -- but he wasn't about to let a silly little thing like that stop him.  He drew his sword and stepped into the alleyway.

visualspice

Every night for countless months it had happened; he'd be up all night, brooding away as he crawled beneath his skin, waiting to get out. And much like Audric, Leif Arrant needed to get out to breath, lest his political duties suffocate him. And it was as it had been for countless nights before- that he'd slip away, dawn his mask, and drape himself in clothing and a cloak as dark as the shadows.

The leather armor was form fitting, and allowed easy range of movement as he crept through the quiet night streets. Though the murmur of night life reached his ears, he found, much to his dismay as he reclined upon a roof top, gazing at the stars, that there was relative peace here in the city.

That was, until a woman screamed.

He sat up suddenly, green eyes cutting through the roof tops and trying to decypher where the sound was coming when he saw the shadows creeping up in the alley way just a block away. With a grunt, he was off, sliding down the side of the building as quiet as the shadows. The men were laughing, the  woman was not- and it looked as if things were about to get fiery as one of the men, an obvious mage, was 'playfully' trying to get the woman to 'Shut up' as he took the hem of her shirt and burned it with flames that lapped off his finger tips.

It was mages like him who got the whole lot in trouble.
It was time to put his fire out. He only had to walk a few feet when the fire mage would notice his powers suddenly going 'poof' as all flames died away instantly.

"Hey- what the hell-..."

"You don't suppose we've got noticed by any mordecai, do ya?"

"Damn grand duke's dogs.." the other growled.

"The only mordecai you've awaken is me," came a voice down the way and the men all halted to peer over int he direction of a man, who steppedoutinto the shadows just as the moon light revealed him to be...

"Shit. It's the masked mordecai."

The other man laughed and slipped out a gun, while the first took a knife tot he girl's throat.

"Don't come any closer dog, or we'll cut the woman's throat."

"Yeah," the one with a gun snickered. "Or I'll blow that mask clean off your face and reveal to the whole world just who and what you fucking are."
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

Audric had been a soldier too long not to take advantage of the sudden appearance of an ally...even one in as questionable garb as this man wore.  He had heard of the Masked Mordecai -- you would have to be truly blind and deaf to not have heard of the man.

From his position on the other side of the alley, he couldn't see the entire exchange -- but he saw enough to know the mordecai had evened the odds a bit.  And now it was time to even the odds a bit more.

Audric stalked forward, as quiet as a cat hunting a mouse.  He had his pick of men to choose from...  The man holding the girl hostage was, naturally, the primary one; Audric was, after all, a sucker for a damsel in distress.

Fortunately, the idiotic was so focused on the masked man that he wasn't watching his own back -- and neither were his buddies.  He had moved towards the back, either intending to flee or, perhaps, assuming his friends would protect him.  It didn't really matter; he would make an easy target.

With the mask covering the man's face, Audric couldn't read his expression -- but he hoped the man would act on his attack...

Audric moved forward suddenly.  He hooked the knife-wielder's arm in his and pulled.  At the same time, he positioned his leg to trip the man backwards and away from his hostage.  In less than a second, the man's face had been crushed against the building hard enough to knock him unconscious, and Audric was holding his knife and standing protectively in front of the poor woman.

To any soldier, it would be clear that she was his priority.

The guy who had been standing nearest the knife-wielder half-turned with a look of surprise.  Audric moved quickly with a deadly precision, his blade finding the man's throat.

visualspice

The other man seemed to come out of no where, no doubt some civilian who had heard the woman scream; but as it seemed the tables might have turned, the group of men went into a panic when Audric showed up, and the masked figure swore between his teeth as the gun man averted his eyes for one moment before looking back to him and pulling the trigger.
It would be harder to hit a moving target, except for the fact Leif was aiming to run the man through-

Though with a bullet now to his shoulder, it only amplified the ferocity within; and in seconds, his blade was out and the gunman cut down, leaving another bloodied corpse int he ally- and just as the three that remained decided it was a good turn to turn tail and run, Leif whirled around on his heel and growled in Audric's face.

"Stay with the girl to see she doesn't get hurt," he growled, obviously displeased with his helper before he tore off down the darkened alley after the three remaining men.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

Audric couldn't help but roll his eyes slightly at the order.  It had been a long time since anyone had given him orders, period, except for Calent...and those didn't really count for obvious reasons.  Apparently, it made him a bit snarky!  Was he really going to chase all three of those men down?

Maybe he was getting lazy, but that seemed like a lot of work.

Flipping the knife in his hand, Audric drew his arm back...and the knife sailed end over end before burying itself in one of the men's backs.  The man stumbled forward before collapsing in a heap.

"Oh, I think she's pretty safe with me."  Already, the pair of men were reaching the end of the alley...

The girl behind him let out a cry, suddenly, as if her reactions were on delay.  Audric whirled, putting as much energy -- and grace -- into catching the swooning girl as he had in taking out her attackers.

visualspice

Hadn't he told the other man to keep back? Oh wait, maybe he should have specified to stay with the girl meant 'don't throw knives at other men's back', for it had his own back itching over the reality this other man could easily do the same thing to him.

Pissed, he took on the other two men with ease, bones cracking beneath heavy kicks and blows untilt hey were both pathetic, bleeding heaps upon the ground. Then, turning back towards the man, he noticed the woman in his arm as he growled, wiping the blood away from his own lips.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" he growled, stalking back Audric's way.

Ivory

"She fainted.  You don't expect me to lay her in the gutter, do you?" Audric asked skeptically, unable to look serious, even now.  He shot the guy a grin then lifted the girl up into his arms easily and gestured to the Masked Mordecai's shoulder with his chin.  "Sorry about your shoulder.  What were you thinking, charging a guy with a gun anyway?"

Obviously, dropping into the midst of a hostage situation was much smarter...

"Oh, pick that gun up, will you?  Common brigands shouldn't have such a weapon."  It was formed as a question, but the tone made it sound as though he expected to be obeyed...as if the thought of such commoners having a lofty weapon like a gun offended him!

visualspice

At his tone, Leif growled. But the man was right, like an obedient dog, he scooped the weapon up, holding it naturally in his hand as he followed after.
"And just where do you think you'll be going with her? She'll need to see a doctor..."
And from the way things were looking.. he just hoped this man hadn't saved this woman merely to sweep her up to rape her himself.

Ivory

"Guard station," Audric answered immediately, then glanced at the man over his shoulder, wearing another grin.  "Unless you have a reason for me not to?"

He was baiting the man a bit, he had to admit, but there were some rather troubling stories regarding the man, after all.

But, then, if she were a mage of that sort, chances are she wouldn't have been caught alone in an alley...

visualspice

Leif narrowed his gaze.
"And get the city guard involved? They'll know a mage has touched her and probably lob her head off. No, it's best you give her to me so I can get her to a doctor."

Ivory

Audric's eyebrows rose slowly.  "That seems unlikely."  First, why the hell would they do that?  Second, they wouldn't.  Third, he would make sure it didn't.

Cheerfully, Audric wondered, "You don't really expect me to give the care of a traumatized maiden over to a wanted brigand and mage-sympathizer.  Do you?"

That seemed sort of silly!

visualspice

Leif's gaze hardened upon the man.
"And you don't expect me to simply trust a careless stranger? You're trying to feed her to the mouth of a hungry lion. Are you blind? Do you not understand the formalities of war? The current Grand Duke has done enough to parade around his ideals. So now those who so much as stare at a mage unknowingly are beheaded, in one form or another." Leif wrinkled his nose. "Who are you anyways? You could have killed me but a moment ago with your throwing knife, unless.." he said, hardening his jaw. "You're not as ignorant as the rest of them." Since if the guards HAD shown up, they would have tried to frame him for this mess, one way or another.

Ivory

"I think that's a bit extreme..."  It was true that a fervor had taken hold of the people, but as long as Audric as (begrudgingly) Duke, a murder was still a murder.  Calent, he was sure, would agree.  Good men and women didn't deserve to be killed, after all!

Rather than answer with his identity, though, Audric shrugged slightly.  "Why on earth would I attack the man trying to rescue the same girl I am?  You were obviously on the side of Right, and I've witnessed you commit no crimes."

"Also, I only had one knife."

visualspice

Leif's eyes hardened, but he said nothing for a moment.
"Either way, I'll help you escort her.. to a doctor. When she comes around, she can decide for herself to whom she reports her eye witness account to." He said, eying up Audric with suspicion. "Unless you plan to baby sit her during her time of recovery-"

But it seemed they might not have to as the woman murmured and began to come around.
"Huh?" She stared upat Audric with half lids. She was a pretty little thing, with ruby red lips, hair and cheeks and the moment she spotted the handsome man who was holding her, she gasped.
"Goodness,w hat happened?"
But then as she turned and spotted the man int he mask, her eyes went as big as mill wheels.
"Oh my God! The masked Mordecai!"

Could she say it any louder? The words echoed throughout the alley- and ironically, where the woman's screams failed to draw the attention fo the guards, somehow they had managed to hear that. Seeing their shadows at they approached, Leif growled beneath his breath before casting a glare over towards Audric.
"See that's she's tended to." He said,a nd dashed off downt he alley. "And see no harm comes to her! Not even the guards can be trusted!" he called back.

The woman could not believe this!
"I can't believe this! Was that really him!?"
Then at the sights and sounds of the guards who came charging in with swords drawn, her eyes went twice as large as a mill wheel and she fainted..
again.

Ivory

Audric would have face-palmed if his arms had been free...  As it was, there was a pretty little girl situated there that would have suffered for it, if he had.

The guards worried Audric very little.  He had reasons, of course, for that, but he also didn't want to be caught out and about.  Well, damn.

Then again, perhaps he should be worried; there were swords pointed at him in a very unfriendly manner!

"You there!  Put the girl down!"

It made Audric sigh!  "Do I look like the Masked Mordecai?"  He wasn't even wearing a mask!  "A mage and his friends attacked her in the alley."

"If it was a mage, how did you overcome them if you aren't the Masked Mordecai?"

This guy was obviously very stuck on his point.  "I stabbed them.  That works, you know."

"Ah-hah!" the leader acclaimed stoutly.  "So you killed the mage, and this girl saw you!  Who else could you be?"

Audric's gaze was flat and unamused.  This man was an idiot.

"Now, put the girl down and come with us quietly.  Or else!"

visualspice

Leif hadn't made it that far when he caught wind of what was going on. Cursing beneath his breath, he snuck back over towards where the man and woman had been. He was hesitant to even show his face, but the fact the guards were claiming the unmasked man was the masked man, was down right irritating, and also offensive. He didn't even have a mask on! Then again, how ironic was it that another noble in disguise be assumed as the OTHER noble in disguise?
Holding his breath, he waited to see what Audric might do, his eyes focused on the moving shadows, and the words of the guards. He counted at least three of them- maybe more? It was hard to tell from where he was hidden.

Ivory

Audric had options here.  He could just tell them who he was (whether they'd believe him or not), but, with the brilliant genius of the guards, that would no doubt only lead them to assume that Audric was the Masked Mordecai.

Yes, they were just that dumb.

"She'll tell you once she wakes up that I'm not," he answered with a slight frown.

"We'll see about that," the man replied snootily.  "Aiden."

One of the men moved forward cautiously to take the girl from Audric.  He was, at least, gentle with her; if he had thrown her over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes, Audric would have snapped!

Audric felt a sword at his back, then, and a soldier yanked his sword from its scabbard.  He had to bite his tongue to keep from snatching it back; he'd grown rather attached to that thing over the years.

"The crest of the new Duke..."  The guard lifted his eyes from the sword to Audric.  "Steal this, did you?"

Audric groaned out loud.  Idiot!

visualspice

Leif  contemplating intervening, but once it was revealed the man had a sword on him and was in association with the Grand Duke; all plans for any sort of rescue were halted. Who was this strange man cloaked in mystery that helped him save the girl? And a man who, if associated truly with the Grand Duke, should want him dead... yet this evening, he not only helped him, he did so without so much as a flinch...

True guards, or those categorized as Duke supporters would have ignored the girl to slit his throat....

Peering around the corner, he watched through a cringe as the men began to usher Audric away- probably to a holding cell for questioning.
Keeping to the shadows, Leif followed after. It was a quiet night anyways... other nightly rendez-vous rescues could come later.

Ivory

Idiots.  He was going to have a word with the...somebody!...about this lot...

While that would, simultaneously, ever spoil any chance he had of getting away with this, he couldn't let idiots like this go around arresting innocent people for possibly being the Masked Mordecai...

"I didn't steal it," he answered pointedly, beginning to grow steadily more and more irritated.  "It's mine, and I can account for every knick on the blade.  I know it better than any other weapon in Allar."

"Oh, really?" the sergeant answered, amused.  "This should be entertaining!"

Really?  Audric sighed.  "The biggest knick about three inches from the top.  And a dent on the flat just beneath the guard.  The guard itself is uneven, but it's still perfectly balanced, and if you look close, you'll see the Allarrick shield has been replaced.  The idiot blacksmith didn't set it perfectly."

The sergeant guffawed, until the man holding the sword nudged him.  "Actually, he's right, sir.  Look."

He stared at it, then turned his pudgy little nose up in the air.  "Even if that is his sword, he's still the Masked Mordecai!"

Like a dog with a bone...

"The Masked Mordecai has never been seen in Allar!"  Audric snapped, impatience growing.

"Ah, but we don't know he isn't from there, do we?  He must have followed the Grand Duke to cause trouble for him!"

...What?

visualspice

OOC: These guards are great XD

-------

Audric wasn't the only one growing impatient with the guards. Then again, Audric rarely would have had to deal with these idiots..
the 'Masked Mordeca'; did.

Leif also had little patience for such things. Having grown up in such a family, and one of blood, wore at him and made him feel a hundred years older, and more irritable, than he ought to be. So without further hesitation, he figured he'd better act now rather than later...

Yet when he stepped out from the shadows, the woman was coming around again,a nd catching sight of the leather and mask, she gasped; and all eyes went his way.
Shit.

"Hey, look!"

On eof the guards nudged the other.

"It's the masked mordecai."

"Yes, and you're about to eat shit."
And before they realized what was going on, a whip was snapped out into the darkness. The guards sword was then yanked from his hand as Leif cracked the whip back his way, the metal sword of the guard now in his hand before he returned it to it's proper owner.

The guards all stood, slack jawed before realizing..
"Get him!"

Sighing, Leif simply snapped his whip toward the men, causing them to all cower back before he snapped it up towards a building nad had it latch onto a metal scaffolding from the roof top, and soon the dark figure was air borne.

"He's getting away!"

No shit he was getting away, and the woman fainted for the third time that evening.

Tags: