Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Justice Wears a Clever Disguise! (Spice!)

Started by Ivory, September 09, 2013, 06:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivory

"My pride has been stung," the former soldier admitted with what might have been a pout.  "With you here to even the odds, I think I'd prefer to settle the score and learn the extent of their plans."

In short, mages couldn't kick his ass if there was a Mordecai present!

He folded his arms, just as an arrow caught the fabric of his hood.  The expensive, but thin material split as the arrow burrowed into a tree.  Audric reached up to feel the tear with a frown.  Better his hood than his face.

"Did I mention I think we should go?"

visualspice

Leif snorted, but nodded his head- though he had thought he asked the other man to leave, it seemed Audric was hardly willing to part. Casting a menial glare his way, he sighed and took off through the gardens, crossing the distance quickly from where he believed the arrows were coming from-

and then he spotted the figure in the window above. Growling, he dashed tot he side of the building and noted an open window- and without a second thought, he crossed the distance beside it, took to the air- before leaping inside. The man was the next level above them- so he had to be quick if he wanted to catch up with him- but by the sounds of the sudden commotion upstairs..

The assassins trail would not be hard to follow-
That was until he rounded the bend and nearly ran into a pair of Calent's 'high-end' mordecai dogs.
Shit.

And without further adieu, Leif took off running- back the way he came.

"After him! It's The Masked Mordecai!"

And Leif was beginning to wonder if he even liked his little heroric nick name...
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

Audric had followed Leif up to the door -- but had decided, rather than spring up into the air like a crazy person (because, you know, this wasn't crazy at all), he decided to go for the other side of the building to cut off his escape route.  He, after all, knew how deadly the Masked Mordecai was...and, if the assassin were smart, he (or she) would flee.

Instead of finding the Masked Mordecai (dubbed Cai in his head now, because the whole title was just too damned long!) or their attacker, Audric instead found something infinitely worse: a pair of horses bearing the insignia of Calent's personal Mordecai.

"What the hell are they doing here?" he wondered to no one in particular.  One of the horses snorted in irritation and stamped.  It momentarily made Audric grin...that is, until there was a ruckus behind him.

The door to the house burst open to reveal Cai coming towards him at a dead sprint.  Audric had reached for his sword (that, of course, he didn't have) and had only enough time to relax before the shapes of the Mordecai loomed in the doorway behind Cai.

Audric, naturally, did the only thing he could think of; he untied the horses and swung up into the saddle of one, signalling Cai to come over with a shrill whistle.  His horse pranced under him, annoyed by the sound, but he held the beast -- and the other beside it -- under control as he waited for Cai to join him.

"Look!" he added cheerfully.  "I found us some horses!"

visualspice

Exploding outside of the door, finding 'the other man' with a pair of horses, on the saddle nad ready to go, was hardly what he expected to find in this moment. So he stared back at the man, breathing heavily and looking at him in wide surprise before he gave a laugh and leaped into the saddle.

"Aiming to get into the nightly hero business are you?" he said, giving the reins a snap and the two were racing down the road. "The only problem with this optin is we'll hav eto double back tot he other side of the palace.. If the assassin remains inside, the Grand Duke's life is in danger-"
Then he paused to consider, before sighing,"And as much as I'd like a new man on the thrown, there are worse men who could rule. And if I were to simply allow these men to kill the Grand Duke willingly... I'd feel no better than he. Besides.." he gave a scoff. "The whole world would just blame mages again."
Even if it might be true....
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

The guards were left behind them, calling out and demanding they stop as they shook their weapons uselessly.  Audric couldn't help but laugh, even if he had been on the other side of things a time or two.

"Right now, I think I'm more horse thief than hero."  For some reason, he didn't sound too upset about that!  "I think we have some time to find him.  They weren't planning to make their move against the Grand Duke until morning.  Our discovery will move up their timetable, probably, but they don't expect a pair of outlaws to be much threat.  After all, no one is going to listen to us, are they?"

Well, not as they were, perhaps...

Audric looked sideways at the man again, grinning mischievously.  "You're a noble, aren't you?  Can't you talk to them?"

visualspice

As their horses tore down the path, his dark cape snapped in the winds, and at Audric's last statement, his eyes snapped coldly at the man.
"We part here," he said, and gave a heavy kick to the beasts side, and it neighed but pounded it's hooves before turning harshly down another path as Leif called out, "Just keep the mordecai and guards distracted! I'll deal with the assassin!" he said, shouting back to Audric as he tore off down the back narrow path.

Ivory

For all his blustering and posing, his skill, and his attitude, Audric just didn't find the man as scary as the man thought he was!  Instead, his reaction drew a short laugh from the former soldier, as if this were all a game.

And, in some ways, it was.

It was hard to sit back and let someone else be the one to rescue Calent -- particularly a man Audric didn't even know -- but he seemed genuinely interested in saving Calent's life...and, well, Audric wasn't a man who was comfortable breaking into palaces and running around rooftops.

"Don't worry about me!" he called after the masked man.  "They're only the most elite guards in Connlaoth.  I'll be fine!"

The question remained: how best to distract the guards without doing more harm than good?

Tossing the black cloak into the street in his wake, Audric turned his horse back towards the palace.  He would have to avoid the Mordecai, who might ask some uncomfortable questions about how he had obtained it, but there was one thing he could think of that might do the trick.  It was the one thing that universally dulled guards' senses while increasing the number of patrols...  Elite or no, the Mordecai were soldiers, after all...

...And it seemed it was time to do some drills.

visualspice

The trick was getting inside and sniffing out the rat. Though the assassin was at an advantage, Leif knew well enough the grounds to find a swifter way to pursue, or so he thought, so as he slipped through the palace like a shadow, he must have miscalculated the room he was in as he rounded a bend and halted suddenly.
There were women everywhere... And as Leif began to mentally recall his steps, he cursed inwardly as the women shouted.
"It's the masked mordecai! Protect the duchess and alert the guards!"
Figures he'd run into the Grand Duchess's preparation room on her wedding night....
But as luck would have it, that's where the assassin suddenly popped up, and the sea of women all gasped when the masked man drew a.dagger, and it landed right in the assassins chest as he fell over, dead at Kathryns feet.
While the women remained stunned, Leif rushed out the door.

Now came the hard part.... Getting out.

Ivory

The Grand Duchess, though new to her position and marriage, was certainly no shrinking violet.  She half-rose at his entrance, eyes smoldering with indignation at his appearance -- until, that is, the assassin appeared.  She glanced down at the body as it fell, and then her voice rose, easily heard above that of her shrieking and panicked maids.

"Molly, go to the Grand Duke's quarters and inform him immediately."  Her toe nudged the would-be assassin, and she stared down at him contemptuously before adding, "I want that man alive!"

----------

It was not difficult to convince a guard on duty that someone wanted to see drills being run, and he wanted them now.  The guards had behaved in the usual way of scurrying about looking busy while muttering to each other how much they hated drills.

The Mordecai, however, were in admittedly better condition.  That was no matter -- there were fewer of them, and they were much more focused on protecting the Duke and Duchess anyway.

An alarm was raised, then.  He had no sooner heard the cry then there was a flickering black shape along the wall in front of him.

Aw, hell.  And he didn't even have his sword with him!  It seemed, though, that the Masked Mordecai was headed in his direction, regardless of whether he was armed or not.

visualspice

OOC: I was hoping Leif's run in with Kathryn would be ok, but since you posted... <3
and now for a short, half-awake attempt at a post!
<3
-----------

His legs couldn't have carried him faster, and in a panic, he had almost forgotten where he was. The damn Grand Duke's Palace was massive- and for now, he was focused on simply trying to keep it from becoming his grave..
or worse, from him getting caught on the Grand Duke's property, running around in a mask.. and well, ever becoming demasked; so when he suddenly stumbled to a halt in the same block of road as Audric, he swore beneath his breath and looked around, groping for ideas on a way out.

Ivory

(OOC: If this isn't OK, you just let me know!  I'm taking some liberties here!)

Before Audric could quite make up his mind what to do -- or, apparently, for Leif to even notice him -- the pair were joined by a third.

Audric saw the figure before Leif did, and he could scarcely believe his eyes.  The Grand Duchess herself, still in her wedding gown though now with her hair unwoven and curling about her shoulders, had arrived.  She moved almost silently, looking ghost-like in the white, poofy dress.  If that wasn't surprising on its own (where were the guards and her maids?  where was Calent?), the bow she held, arrow at the ready, certainly would have done it.  (and where did that bow come from?)  The dress aside, she looked as though she were stalking a deer through the forest...

Great.  Now what was he supposed to do?

Kathryn stopped then, training the bow on the outlaw from, perhaps, twenty feet away.  There was a certain no-nonsense about her tone and posture that spoke both of a willingness and the knowledge to use it with some accuracy.  She cleared her throat in announcement, in a most ladylike manner, in spite of the situation.  "I believe this wing of the palace is a dead end.  I suggest you put down your weapons, Masked Mordecai.  The guards may be too stupid to see what's under their noses, but my husband is no fool.  He will find you as easily as I have."

And how, on earth, Audric wondered, was it she had done that?

Kathryn watched the masked man sharply.  Although the arrow remained nocked, she lowered the bow to toss a roll of cloth in the bandit's direction.  Even before it hit the ground in front of him, the bow was already back up and pointed in his direction threateningly.  "Bandages.  You're bleeding all over my house.  I assume you cut it on the broken glass from the window."

Well, well, well.  It seemed the Grand Duchess was a very capable woman indeed.  How she had slipped by the guards, however, remained a somewhat troubling mystery!  Rather than make his presence known, Audric remained in the shadows, simply watching the drama unfold and wondering what the cat would do with the mouse, now that she had it cornered?

visualspice

Whirling around at the sound of someone approaching, the man's eyes went large as he was confronted by none other than the Grand Duchess herself-
and by the looks of her, boy was she ever furious. His lips were in a constantly moving state, for it was hard for Leif to settle on scowling or smirking, but the arrow reminded him of his place here, and his real goal as his eyes narrowed upon her.

He had no weapons in hand, and lifted them as if to indicate it so.
"The only dagger I had in my hand is in the man's back whom resides on the floor of your room. Even from where you stand, Grand Duchess, you can see my hands are empty."

He wasn't about to press his luck here, but he was also not about to let himself simply be caughtand reprimanded by the Grand Duchess herself-
though wouldn't it be quite the fitting tale? Thankfully, he didn't know Kathryn well enough, so hopefully his voice was as undetectable as it had been to most.

Either way, he held his breath and glared back at the woman, setting his jaw as the moonlight shined down upont hem, capping his black leather armor and slicked back hair,  in silver light

Ivory

"You had better keep it that way," Kathryn warned.  She was still watching him closely, scarcely batting an eye.  Audric had little doubt that she would loose that arrow if he gave her reason to...

She remained silent a moment, then sighed softly, as if turning to logic only because threats failed to work.

"Aren't you wondering why I thought to grab bandages for the man who broke into my room to murder another man?  Contrary to what you may think, I'd rather have you leave under your own power than in a body bag.  Anyway, if you don't put it on and somehow manage to escape, we'll just track you down again.  So, while we're chatting, you may as well do yourself some good."

If she was growing tired of holding her threatening pose, she wasn't showing it...

Civilly, instead, she asked, "Why were you in my room?  And who was the man you killed?"

visualspice

Leif looked down at the bandages, then back up at the Grand Duchess.

"Forgive my.. rudeness, Grand Duchess Kathryn, but I'm not exactly in a position to tell you yes or no, but the hesitation comes from me stepping any closer to that arrow..."
And to prove his point, he still didn't step for the bandages, but instead, continued to look at the woman in white. After all; if he looked away for just a second, or got down on one knee- how much easier it would be for her to shoot him between the eyes.

"And you know about as much as I do. I over heard them talking about killing the groom, and as much as I'm not a fan of the new Connloathian law, I even further detest rats who crawl around in the dark to get the results." He gave a dry smile, before it faded away, as he added, "Though I'm not here to talk, though I am interested in why you'd think it is wise for you to help me..."

Though perhaps he shouldn't be pressing his luck as she was still pointing the arrow directly at his head.

Ivory

Kathryn's smile was almost serene in response.  "If I wanted to kill you, I would have done it from the doorway before you knew I was here."  And she would have had no trouble in doing so either...  There really was no need to get so close to what was, purportedly, a dangerous man.  "But if you are truly so threatened by a defenseless woman with only a bow and single arrow, you may stand there and bleed."

Really!  Some people!

Her smile became a shade...darker...somehow when he related his tale, and she thought over the information before responding.  "Perhaps I simply don't want you to bleed out before you're interrogated.  Or perhaps I've sprinkled the liquid from the vial I found on the dead man in my room into the bandage and am curious to see what it will do to a man."

Audric never thought he'd see the day when he was more concerned for the life of the Masked Mordecai than he was for the Grand Duchess...but there was a sadism in the way she answered him that he didn't care much for...but that she had hidden very, very well on the previous occasions they had met.  But then, perhaps, it was simply the stress of the day catching up with her...

"You said you heard 'them'.  Where are the others?  And how many are there?" she pressed, conviction (and arrow) unwavering.

(OOC: Kathryn is so naughty sometimes...)

visualspice

At her words, the masked man only frowned, his gaze narrowing upon the sharp end of the arrow before looking over at her.

"There were two others in the garden," he said between his teeth, hesitant to say or do much more. He still... felt quite uneasy beneath her arrow, despite her claim to be 'defenseless' and the reasons behind the bandages...
Well, he was used to bleeding out. Besides...
Did she not realize, despite what had happened, he and her were... enemies?

Ivory

"And are they still alive?" the Duchess questioned pointedly.

Half-afraid Kathryn would loose the arrow the moment she had her answer, Audric took a deep breath and stepped out of the shadows.  The tiny, vine-covered alcove where he had taken refuge was quite away from the action, giving him time to move before announcing his presence.

From Cai's point of view, Kathryn's demeanor would suddenly change when she saw Audric even as he heard the footsteps on the ground behind him.  Kathryn's smirk softened into something a bit more feminine, although there were still a deadly serious expression in her eyes.

Audric paused some ten feet from Cai, effectively trapping the masked man between them.  Of course, Audric had no weapon, yet...  He cleared his voice softly, putting on his own 'mask'.  After all, he didn't want to be recognized by the masked man either.  "There are," he said in a serious, very un-Audric-like tone, "Four bodies in the garden, my Lady."

Kathryn's gaze, which had flickered to Audric, sharpened and went back to the Masked Mordecai.  "Four?"

"A guard, a kitchen girl, and two strangers."  It was surprisingly hard not to say something snarky!  "It looks as though the assassins may have been planning to infiltrate the palace."  He paused, then added, pointedly, "The fletching on the arrows that killed them match the arrow you're holding, my Lady."  That was clearly where the bow had come from: the assassin.  It made a sort of sense, now -- if he could just wrap his mind around the Grand Duchess attacking the Masked Mordecai in her wedding dress...

"Is this your bow?" Kathryn asked the bandit, her eyes studying his face for any indication of a lie.

It wasn't.  Audric knew that already.  And as stressed out as the Grand Duchess appeared to be this evening, she certainly wouldn't kill an unarmed man.  He remained silent and at parade rest, looking every bit like the guard he had formerly been...except more serious, for once.

(OOC: Audric to the rescue!  <3  Also, I think Calent can crash the party too anytime you like!)

visualspice

The exchange was... interesting, and the masked man kept himself braced. For at any moment, this situation could not only have him wind up killed on the spot (something he could only wish for), but demasked as well; and a man in his position, who he was, who he was intended to be, and what the meant for the future of his duchy, his wife, his name...

All of it could be plucked away by whatever this woman commanded. She was the Grand Duchess now, after all. And although the sudden approach of a new person tensed Leif Arrant, his eyes never once left the duchess, whose arrow was pointed still at his face. So at her question, he hesitated not in a reply.

"No, it is not."
And now begged the question, was anyone else to interfere.. and was there any way for the masked man to make his great exit? He could just take a leap of faith, literally, and risk the arrow...
but those fuckers hurt, and for all he knew the man behind him was fully armed with a sword at his back....
and he wasn't entirely sure he was ready enough to simply die...
Or even put his masked persona away. The world was not ready to meet the face of the man who worked in the night....

Ivory

Kathryn's eyes continued to study the man before her, taking in his expression and body language.  Apparently, she had decided he told the truth, because she did not loose the arrow.  Instead, she chose another route.

"Where are you bleeding?"

Once she had her answer, she responded with a curt nod.  "Audric, you have your men nearby, I assume?"  Audric opened his mouth to answer, but she swiftly made up her own.  "There's no need to summon them.  Not yet.  Help the Masked Mordecai dress his wound."

"Yes, my Lady."  How...odd.  Scooping up the fallen bandage, he considered it a moment before offering it to the masked man.  As a soldier, he naturally kept slightly to the side of that deadly arrow, so as not to provide a shield for her target...but, from the corner of his eye, he could see her strafing sideways, as if she had had the same thought.  "I suggest you do as the Lady commands."

visualspice

It was too perfect of a situation not to act upon, and the King of Thieves, who had been watching, for many hours in the shadows, had grown a bit jealous over. The masked mordecai was about to steal the show, and such a pity; he had quite an elaborate scheme still about to be played out. So once the Grand Duchess was left outside of the focus and Audric moved to tend to the masked mordecai, a shadowed figure stepped up behind the Grand Duchess to whisper in her ear.

"You might want to call off any guards," his voice purred. "For any sudden movements, and you might end up without your dress." And as quickly as his words came at her from behind, they were gone, and she migt not realize it but...
if she were to move in any certain direction; she'd feel an unusual tug at her wedding garment. It seemed her jest from earlier, her challenge had not gone ignored. Yes... it would be quite the feat to steal the Grand Duchess's wedding dress clean off her back side, and a reminder at how amusing her idea was, Dekka left her with but a ghost of his laugh before he was gone again.

~*~*~*~*~

And as Audric approached, even the masked man was momentarily distracted, and albeit, a bit relieved. But it still hadn't made a lot of sense, and the masked man grew silent as he brooded over this ordeal. Perhaps it was an eye for an eye, but the Grand Duchess herself at the grand opportunity to be rid of a menace, yet she commanded her man to treat his wounds instead.

"Is she always like this?" the masked man question. "If so, perhaps there's hope for the country yet."