Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Rising of Tides

Started by Lion, October 08, 2013, 02:59:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

"It would only be the practical thing, I think," Mercuxio answered and taking his eyes back to Neil.  Bromlin on the other hand, looked thankful for the interruption.  "You would be correct in your evaluation, Major.  I am not send up here very often.  Most of my work lingers around Uthlyn where my parish is.  Which is quite a trip to make, to be sure.  Like the Lieutenant here, when the request came in from the Deacon for a priest to attend to the chapel, I was one of the only ones who would take it. 

"And the Order which you speak of is of St. Agratha," he replied plainly, casually cleaning off his plate.  "But what about you Major.  What influenced your decision to arrive here?"

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

kleineklementine

"Indeed." But Neil couldn't help but wonder, practical in just what way? And it didn't escape her notice when the priest side-stepped her question about his calling to the priesthood. If his answers (or lack of answers) meant anything to her, she didn't show it outwardly. But she smiled pleasantly when he turned the question back to her. "I'm here for the same reason as Captain Fawley. Not all of us have the luxury to accept orders or deny them. I was instructed to come here, and here I am."

"It must be very hard on your parishioners for you to be so far away, though," Fawley offered in attempt to break some of the tension Neil inevitably caused.

"Yes," Bromlin agreed. "I imagine you won't want to stay away from them for longer than is necessary."

Lion

[He didn't sidestep her question!  I just forgot to answer it! xD]

"It is an understandable concern, but not one that hasn't been addressed.  I do feel an adequate replacement has been found in my stead for the duration of my stay.  But in all honesty, I go wherever I feel Ansgar needs me most.  When I heard the request to come here, I had given it lots of consideration.  Common sense, indeed would dictate a no, but...I just couldn't bring myself to do it.  The people here seem as desolate as the land, and if I can help even a few find some ray of light to cling to at least until the war ends, then so be it, even the mages.  I believe my parishioners will forgive me for my absence."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

kleineklementine

Neil's expression darkened at Mercuxio's insistence that his calling was to bring 'some ray of light... even to the mages.' What a load of crap, she thought. The Mordecai was not at all convinced that that was the real, or at least certainly not the only reason the priest had joined their company. "Very noble of you. I suppose the creatures need some comfort in this dark place, just like the rest of us. I think the work horses are rather depressed, too, you know. When you're done with the mages."

Bromlin shot Neil a warning look. Really. It wasn't even afternoon yet!

"I hope you will find the work rewarding, at least, father?" Fawley asked in another flat attempt to lighten the conversation. "I suppose it's too soon to say how yo find it so far."

Lion

Merric could tell the sarcasm in her voice and it made him grin inwardly.  He smiled at her and gave her a soft laugh.  "Well, I'll be sure to attend to the after service," he nodded to the Major.  "I'm sure they're quite stressed in their own right.  Dreaming of greener pastures than these."  He sipped his water and turned to Fawley.

"I hope so too, Captain.  But it is too soon to tell.  I have yet to fall in line to the proper order of things.  But I will surely make the effort to do so, so long as my own work is not disturbed as well."

Bromlin's face turned quietly grim.  "I will do my best to ensure that, Father.  These are...grim times for all of us."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

kleineklementine

"He must find it rewarding," Neil said with a happy note in her voice that would make at least Bromlin and Fawley, who knew her better, nervous, "to be working as late as he is already so new on the job." Bromlin looked inquisitively at Neil before she continued in the same contented tone, answering Bromlin's unanswered question. "I stayed a bit late discussing matters with the Mordecai stationed at the front gate for the night. On my way back to my quarters I saw one of the mages leaving the chapel well after their curfew."

At this Fawley looked up and, try as he might to hide it, concern was clear on his face.

"Something troubling you, Captain Fawley?" Neil asked, thoroughly enjoying herself.

It took him a moment before answering, "Yes, of course, it troubles me to learn that my night guard aren't enforcing curfew."

"Hm." Bromlin watched his captain of guard and the head of the Mordecai, brow furrowed, for a moment before turing to Mercuxio. "Father? I'm sure there's some reasonable explanation for this. Perhaps we neglected to inform you about the curfew. But it seems like a strange time to be ministering when you said the confessional was empty most of the day yesterday."

Lion

Mercuxio peered up at the three of this breakfast companions and gave them a confirmation.  "It is true.  One of the mages did come to meet with me last night," he replied, unfazed.  "Forgive me, Lieutenant, I was not made aware of the curfew of the running of the camp.  But I know as strange as it seemed, I think that may just be explanation as to why there weren't many in confessional morning last.  I cannot force parishioners into the chairs and benches of the chapels, and neither is it my place to question their entrance of the house of prayer.  Perhaps the mage that entered had neglected to do so because they did not feel comfortable coming when the rest were allowed to come in, and felt it better to do so under the privacy of evening.  Whatever the reason, I do apologize for my ignorance, Bromlin.  I will do my best to remember the curfew in the future."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

kleineklementine

"Well, your dedication is truly... inspiring," Neil remarked, leaning back from the table, her eyes hanging on Mercuxio, as if deciding something. But then, decision made or perhaps postponed, she stood up, her chair scraping the cold floor of the cabin. "You'll have to excuse me, though. I have my own duties to attend to." She nodded curtly to the two older men. "Father. Lieutenant." Then she gave the captain a look suggesting he might do the same, left the cabin.

"Oh, yes, I need to make morning inspections," Fawley said, but he still had a concerned look about him. "But, uh, Father, if you encounter any other mages out after the curfew - or guards who aren't on duty, for that matter - you will let me know, won't you?" The young man frowned, then got up and nodded to the two men, following Neil out of the cabin.

"Hmm." Bromlin watched the two leave the cabin, shaking his head. Just like children. "Well, Father," he said without enthusiasm, turning back to Merric, "if you think the mages here are uncomfortable with the open chapel, perhaps you could conduct two separate masses? It might make everyone more comfortable. If it isn't too much work for you."

Lion

Mercuxio was thankful for the quick exit of the other two table guests.  Not that he necessarily minded their company, but he felt he had to pick and choose his words much more carefully in their presence.  But if it was any consolation, he could appreciate Neil's pressing questions - she had a fire to her that would be intriguing at any other time.

The priest blinked at Bromlin, the posing of his statement.  "I had considered it before.  And perhaps you are right," he gave the Lieutenant a nod and sat up straighter in his chair.  "And no, no it wouldn't be too much work for me.  In fact, I think my work here is only starting to begin.  You see, I realize my place here makes you uncomfortable, Bromlin.  I hope I'm not speaking out of bounds.  I trust that between us here, we may speak as men, not merely as a priest and a soldier."

Bromlin said nothing but tilted his head and angled it in a way that though he was willing to listen, he wasn't going to like what he was about to hear.

"I guess, what I'm trying to say is that, I understand you either want me to leave as quickly as possible, my position here is wholly unnecessary, or to fall in line with all regulations here.  It does not take a university mentor to come to such a conclusion.  But, I was wondering, Lieutenant, just what would be your opinion on the relations here between the guardsmen and the mages?  Your opinion would be a help to m in the organization of ministry and other such functions of the chapel."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

kleineklementine

Bromlin frowned at the priest's question. Or rather, at the man's question, as he was being asked to consider Mercuxio.  It was a fair question, perhaps, but what bothered Bromlin was that it was, without a doubt, a leading question. He regarded Mercuxio for a long while before stating any answer.

"You speak very frankly, father. Or," he stopped, "perhaps I should call you Merric for the moment, if you like. I admire frank speech." He paused again, considering, then continued, "You are not wholly correct, though. I do not view your position here as at all unnecessary. The cold and the gloom of this place has an effect on everyone here, the soldiers and the mages. If your ministries bring comfort or solace, then that is far from unnecessary. In fact, a soothing element is very much needed here. No one, I can assure you, wants to be here. That, of course, makes the orderly running of this camp a delicate matter and it doesn't help a delicate situation to be pulled in different directions. So yes, I think it is important for the well-being of the camp and of everyone in it that authority is fairly unilateral. It might not be the approach I would take to every situation, but I think here it is necessary. You, of course, as a representative of the Church, are included in that authority."

Bromlin let that answer hang in there air and leaned back in his chair, taking a sip of whatever hot drink passed as a morning beverage up here; little more than dried wild herbs and water. "If you want me to say that I strive for a wholly harmonious relationship between the guards and the mages, based on compassion and pity and good-will, I'm afraid I will disappoint you. Wouldn't it be nice if it were the case, but you'll have to forgive me for being a realist. The 'soldiers' here are poorly trained boys with a rather one-dimensional view of protecting their country. In a time of war, of course, the best soldiers, those disciplined and ready for battle, are not sent to watch over the enemy. And there is no time anymore to provide adequate training to every recruit. Don't think I'm any happier about this than you are; I suspect I am much less. What we have here is a camp full of boys who want to be anywhere other than here; they at least want leave, decent food, the company of a woman. And here they have none. They hated the mages before they came, and you can well believe they hate them much more now. They sleep at night by letting themselves believe the people they guard here are beasts. Much like Major Neil, though I would have hoped for better from someone of her position. I don't think most of them have the fortitude to think clearly about what is really going on here. And yes," Bromlin nodded his head, "to keep this place functional, I let them think that."

Lion

"A point well made.  I cannot deny your ideal to maintain a unified front for the sake of the guards here and the mages.  I cannot imagine the kind of stress theses boys and men have gone through to be here, away from their families.  And no doubt, I don't think they can simply write letters to stay in touch.  Any mention of furlough must be heaven sent by Ansgar himself, for such a thing to be accepted in procedure here.  But please, man to man, do not lie to me, and say that my presence here has not irked you some.  I am not trying to disrupt the functions of this camp.  And what little aid I can provide, I will, as I've stated to the Major and Captain.  I think what these men want most of all is a place they can call home," Merric said somberly, mostly in agreement.

"But I believe you know what I am about to pose to you," he continued.  "About the two men, and the allegations of abuse against them.  And what you've done about it.  Sure, the guards can see the mages here as little more than beasts.  That's what this whole war is about isn't it?  They're not people.  They're things, objects, slabs of walking sheep to corral into their pens and barns.  They may not like it, they may hate it, but it's the way things are.  How could it be any different?"  There was an edge to his tone, almost as if he shared this view.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

kleineklementine

At this, Bromlin actually smiled a little. "I never said your presence here does not 'irk me a little,' father," Bromlin replied, "simply that I do not see it as wholly unnecessary. And that is no lie. Any calm or quietude brought to the camp is far from unnecessary."

Bromlin's expression returned to something neutral, however, as Mercuxio went on. He gave a small frown, but no other indication that he knew what the priest was talking about, whether he truly did or not. "I'm afraid you're going to have to be more direct if you wish me to follow your point. Of course there are always 'allegations of abuse' here, and I can't pretend I would want to be in the position the mages are. But, as I've tried to make clear, my priority is the continued function of this camp and to that end, though we might not always wish it, physical punishment is sometimes required, yes, if that's what you mean."

Lion

"Then we cannot possibly be at a cross-ways then, Lieutenant," Merric went on.  "We are to have a unilateral authority in this camp, each in their respective positions.  And you've run this camp far longer than I've set foot here.  But a bit of corporal punishment here and there to keep some in line, doesn't turn into claims of assault of a heinous nature.  Harret and Schelmner, Bromlin.  I'm sure you know the names.  I'm sure you know the names of many others too.  What I want to know is, is that all you intend to do?  Just keep things running smoothly?  And the matter will not even at least be more thoroughly investigated?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

kleineklementine

"Aha, so now I see." Bromlin should have known. Though he wasn't surprised. Sometimes he thought Major Neil might be right about the Carwick girl. Who would even know if she tragically perished, as so many others have in these harsh northern camps? The truth was that, with the priest's accusations now confirmed, Bromlin found the man somewhat naive. Not unusual for a man removed from the army. 'Crimes' of this nature always followed soldiers and even the most disciplined of commanders with the most loyal troops could not always control the baser urges of his men.

"Let me say this, and please let's not pretend you heard these allegations from anyone else," he leaned forward, folding his hands on the table, "as much as I am loathe to say so, Major Neil was in some respects correct last night. I am much softer with Constance Carwick than I am with the other interned mages here. And just as well as Major Neil, she knows it. The girl means well, I am sure, but I certainly do not think that she is above fabricating stories to gain some ground against the guards. If the guards view the mages as sheep; the mages are no better, and see very guard as a wolf. Beasts, all around. She's a smart girl and she knows what buttons to push, which allegatiosn seem the most heinous, as you say, and least confirmable."

Bromlin shifted his weight, taking in the priest. "If I am wrong, and you heard these allegations from someone else, who perhaps felt freer in the confessional than facing the captain or myself - which of course would be understandable, than that is a different matter and we can discuss it further. But let's assume, even then, that these words are true. How would you go about handling the matter, father? What do you think the guard, who already see themselves as punished enough just by being here, would make of being put under the gallows for a mage? And, more importantly, what do you think the mages would do if they felt free to make allegations which would almost always come down to a he-said-she-said argument openly against the guards?"

"It is a rare luxury to stand unmovable by our moral ideals, father, and one never afforded to the military. Even if it is available in abundance to priests and monks."

Lion

Mercuxio listened with interest but made no indication toward Bromlin's words whether he gauged them wrong or right.  Of course, it was obvious the Lieutenant knew more than he let on, and used his own words to sift out the priest's intent.  "Firmly put, Bromlin.  And as you put it, for a mage to feel more at ease telling a priest their gravest concern, than those in charge of this camp, only goes to show, they have a small hope that perhaps something might be done.  And despite these conditions, I know the men are under a great deal of strain here as it is.  Nothing can be perfect; things must function accordingly," Merric nodded.  "But please, forgive me, I must seem so idealistic.  But this is a delicate matter and I hope we can find some sort of suitable solution for it.

"A person with such a condition who finds little pleasure in anything else but the torment and torture of others perhaps even in its fantasy, enough to summon arousal.  Such a condition cannot be helped, Lieutenant.  And I know for a fact that not all men succumb to such a condition, despite their misery and hatred of their current predicament.  By all accounts no one wants to be here.  That being said, I also know that extreme circumstances can drive men to do dangerous things, to themselves and others.  I don't mean execution as a means of punishment for these men accused, Harret and Shelmner.

"But I do ask that measures be put into place where such accusations have little reason to arise in the first place.  Change of routine, of watch, and perhaps, even more importantly, looking more closely into the character of your men.  If a man is too strained within his current position, allow him some leisure, interchange his position with another. Could something of that nature be arranged?" Merric finished for the moment.  He took in the Lieutenant, braving the iron of his eyes, matching him look for look.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

kleineklementine

The Lieutenant gave a short, mirthless laugh at the priest's suggestion. "'Leisure?'" he repeated. "Where should I send them? And if they are not 'of fit character,' with whom would replace them? I realize you have not been long away from your parish, father, and perhaps do not have a full picture of the situation we are in. We have already the minimum number of troops here to maintain the security of this camp. We do not have the luxury of giving men leave or picking and choosing our soldiers. Don't I wish it were so."

Bromlin looked at the priest, exhaling a long, somewhat exasperated breath, before continuing more concilitorially. "Look, father, I understand that the conditions here may come as something of a shock. Do not think that I am myself wholly unaffected by the grim reality of keeping an entire portion of the population penned and caged and corralled like animals. I don't make the laws, but it is my duty to see them carried out. And I realize that to one who devotes his life to soothing the souls of the troubled, it must be very grim for you indeed. If, in your expertise, you are able to provide comfort to the people here - be they soldiers or mages - I am grateful beyond words. And whatever points of morality you wish to minister on from the pulpit are, of course, entirely your own business. Perhaps a religious lesson would do everyone a world of good. But I have to ask you to leave me to my expertise; and in this case military matters, including the running of this camp, are my expertise. Not yours. I am afraid, on that point, I must remain firm. But perhaps during your stay here, you will come to appreciate the complexities at work here."

Then Bromlin sat up straight again. "I'm afraid this breakfast has gone on far too long already. We both have our own duties to attend to. I look forward, father, to hearing your ministries on morality in mass." Where a priest's opinions belonged. "I am sure they will do us all good." With that Bromlin stood up, making it quite clear that it was time for the priest to leave.

Lion

The tension in the room had gone on long enough and Merric knew he'd overstayed his welcome long before the Lieutenant stood to show him the door.  He'd received the answer he figured he would on the matter and there was no further reason to discuss it.  So Merric stood and bowed his head to the commander before giving him a generous smile.  "I understand, Bromlin.  And please allow me to thank you for an enlightening meal."  Then quickly made his exit, walking back to his cabin.

With their recent discussion lingering in his mind, Meruxio knew there was little to learn from Bromlin with his distrust already in place.  If he felt the priest was out of place here, his words confirmed it.  Merric was not fooled by his formalities and feigned courtesies - afforded to him only because of the necklaces that hung from his neck.  Bromlin made it more than clear in his undertone that if he could not have the man gone, then the sooner Mercuxio knew his place the better.  Bromlin proved to be a dead end; just as he wagered.But while he was currently a wall, he was not an insurmountable one.  And with that another face came to mind, whom Bromlin mentioned but thankfully didn't linger on.  Olive.

She made it clear she notified the officers before and nothing was done.  His mission, of course, was not to cater to her whims, having her trust could help aid him in his official mission.  But who could possibly help him in helping her?

"Fawley," Merric answered thoughtfully to himself.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

kleineklementine

"You tell yourself that your goal in the military is to advance," Fawley muttered to himself in his shack, a startling amount of paperwork spread around him, "if only you knew how boring it would get once you did..." He was surrounded by assignment charts, rotations, various reports on various guards and soldiers that needed to be filed. Then again by labor charts, rotations, and various reports on various mages that needed to be filed. There was really nothing like the swashbuckling life of a captain, was there?

There was always a lull in mid-afternoon when the mid-day meal was over, the guards would be on their duties for several more hours, as would the mages, and Bromlin and Neil were sufficiently occupied with their own affairs to leave him alone. It ought to be a relaxing time (and sometimes it was), but it was also when Fawley took on the sisyphean task of Paperwork. Now his mind was also occupied with what he'd heard from a very unhappy Bromlin about Harret and Schelmner and the priest and, as far as Bromlin was concerned, about Olive. He shuffled nervously through the scrolls, wondering what in Angsar's name he was going to do about that. Today, at least, he had something to look forward to. But until then: Paperwork.

((Lion, hope you don't mind that I made this later in the day. I'm thinking maybe Merric had to go say mass or some boring priest stuff before he'd get the chance to find Fawley. If you'd like me to change/add anything, just let me know!))

Lion

It wasn't difficult to find Fawley.  After evening service, the priest remembered directions toward the Captain of the Guard's quarters.  The day had been a taxing one and as ever, Merric had fallen into his priestly duties to maintain a sense of mind.  He hadn't been here very long, but already the bleak surroundings of the camp, the dense forest was already starting to get to him.  It helped him center himself and focus his tasks.  Perhaps, if Bromlin would allow it, even with an escort, Mercuxio could take a hike around the forest, survey the are and see what more there was to see other than grim faces and despairing eyes.

But for now, ministry would do.  When that was over, Merric stopped shortly before Fawley's office door and gently knocked on it, though a guard had offered to do so.  Instead, the priest opted to go in himself at his behest.  "Captain Fawley.  It is I, Father Merric.  I hope I haven't interrupted.  But I was just wondering if I might have a word with you."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

kleineklementine

Fawley looked up at the knock, surprised, and was glad the priest had opted not to enter on his own. Fawley was rotten at keeping his feelings off his face and it would have been all too obvious that Father Merric had not been who the captain was expecting. But after his debriefing from Bromlin, he supposed he shouldn't be surprised...

Carefully moving the piles of paperwork to not entirely undo the 'organized' piles, Fawley rose and opened the door. "Of course not, father. I'm at your disposal." He stepped to one side of the open door to allow the priest to enter. Though he smiled, and genuinely and didn't look displeased to see the priest, there was a vague air of nervousness about him. "How can I help you?" he asked brightly.