Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Vanilla Pecan Candies

Started by visualspice, November 12, 2013, 09:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

OOC: This Thread has come from: The Dessert Table. See Rules of the Table before joining! Thanks!

-----

Davishire wasn't having the best evening- but it most certainly was interesting. He he just been clocked by a girl, (and just before that, making another one cry!), and he could have had a terrible confrontation with her brother as well had the second sister not showed up to hit him. His jaw was still smarting as he rubbed it, and in doing so, reminded him of the irksome cleft on his chin. His finger now prodding it thoughtfully, as he had gone out to the veranda for some fresh air. The gardens, being too far away from the study (in which he had just come), were not an option, but the veranda offered a nice breezeway as he found himself, alone, and leaning against the stone balcony that over looked the entire city of Reajh.

At this hour, the lamp lights from the city were sparkling, and making the layers of the enormous city appearing like the starry skies. It was a beautiful sight, something peaceful, and for the moment, he was distracted from the events that had just occurred. The Treyburns, by reputation, were an interesting bunch but sadly, he knew nothing was said better of his own.

It's why he gave calloused looks and appeared sour- for he was. Nothing good came of his family, and he almost wished he wasn't of their blood. Taking a drink to his lips, he decided against it and set his filled goblet down upon the tops of the stone balcony and brooded-
and soon his thoughts went back to the quirky young girl and her tower of books....
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

kleineklementine

Thinking it was at first empty, Dahlia's stepped onto the veranda with a bit of bluster, no longer wearing the mask of social poise. She needed fresh air and, more importantly, space. There was no way, she was realizing, that she would make it through the entire night making nice and pretending she was fine with all of this. The entrance of the Grand Duke into the fray with Valia made her realize that. It was sickening, having an elaborate soiree like this when there was a war going on. A real war, in which people's sons and husbands were dying. Her husband. And she prayed not her son.

She realized a moment later that she was not, in fact, alone and took a moment to take in the brooding figure of Lord Davishire. He still had his back to her, overlooking the city. He radiated unhappiness, or at least unpleasantness, and Dahlia didn't know yet that her siblings had anything to do with it. Taking a deep breath to collect herself, Dahlia joined him at the stone railing.

"Well," she said dryly by way of a greeting, "it looks like that makes two of us having a lovely night."

visualspice

Broken from his thoughts, he peered over out of the corner of his eyes. Despite her 'charming' words (for he couldn't' deny he could read that body language on her of displeasure herself), he could not help but notice- ah..
it was that another Treyburn. He could have scoffed,a nd perhaps he did, before he turned his eyes from her and back towards the city.

He was never a man to enjoy such social occasions, and at her words, he mulled them over, trying to regard if he was even 'allowed' to speak to any of the Treyburn women after this day.
Instead, he settled into a sigh and looked away, before replying,
"Yes, and the night has barely even begun."
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

kleineklementine

Dahlia gave the man a sidelong look when he scoffed, but appeared unfazed by the apparent rebuff. Her anger was elsewhere and, anyway, the Lord Davishire was not known to be either sociable or particularly kind, so she let it roll off her back. Instead, she gave a little snort of agreement to his comment, leaning with her elbows on the stone railing and looking out over Reajh instead of at her 'companion.'

"I can't honestly pretend I expected to enjoy it from the outset," she remarked. Whether she took Davishire's silence as an invitation to speak, or if she was simply venting and he happened to be there was not entirely clear. "It's ridiculous, having a grand ball when the country is being torn apart by this idiotic war." Dahlia's disgust was evident in her voice and she made no real effort to hide it. "As if putting on fancy dress and masks should make us forget that men and women are dying all the time. Boys shepherded into the army like they're heros instead of babies. And to fight against who? Their neighbors?" Now it was Dahlia's turn to scoff. "And most of them do forget, the wretched fools."

If Dahlia was being overly candid, she didn't seem to care. She just looked over the glitter of the city's lamplight and shook her head.

visualspice

Lord Davishire, not a fan of the war itself, listened to her words quietly. It seemed this woman had a lot to get off her chest, though she was seeking solace in a man hardly fit to give it. After all, he still felt a bit jarred from his run in with her younger sister- and older brother.. and even younger sister..
His chin, at least, no longer smarted as he continued to stare at the glittering lights of Reajh.

"Wars are a crime on all levels," he said simply. Though he had not been directly affected by the war, he understood the horrors of it well enough. "Keep it up long enough, the snake will continue eating it's own tail. And never know any better..." He looked down to his drink. Why had he even got a second one? Oh well. He took a light sip, and continued to look back out at the city, one hand clasped behind his back.

kleineklementine

((Super short post for Spice because I should be asleep!))

Dahlia just seethed in silence for several moments. Who was this man to comment to her on the horrors of war? But At least Davishire had said nothing to make matters worse. But Dahlia realized she couldn't be angry and unsociable the entire night. So, exhaling sharply toco pose herself, she turned to face Davishire. She'd been about to ask him what had set his night off to a poor start. Wen she did, though, she noticed through his maks a growing discoloration around his eye.

"I'm sorry, ah, but Lord Davishire," she asked with mild surprise, "were you in a fight?"

visualspice

He was enjoying, at least, for the moment, her relative silence. It's what he came out there for anywyas. ANd to clear his head, not fill it with more tension and woes from other females! He had enough drama to worry about from the 'Queen of Aerona' but then-
Angsar help him! This woman spoke again!

And this time- directed at him.

He felt his brow twitched as a sharp eye turned towards her, but his body did not- and at this angle, in the moonlight, he looked every bit like a savage wolf.
"You'll hear about the incident soon enough, Lady Treburn. Or.. I suppose it's Lady Gray. Do enjoy your evening." He bowed to her hten moved to leave.

Ivory

(OOC: Just going to throw Fi at you!  Because I can!  Feel free to decide she's too odd to speak to, though!)

Fiona is entering from Dark Chocolate Eclairs

-----

As Davishire left, a voice piped up from Dahlia's right.  It was an adult voice, but there was a childlike lilt to it.  "If ye're a Treyburn, t'was yer sister tha' done the fightin'.  Somethin' 'bout 'im bein' a creep fer makin' yer other sister cry."

The redhead the stepped out of the shadows was a pretty thing.  Her slight frame was clothed in an old-fashioned blue dress, and an array of colorful flowers and ribbons had been braided into her hair.  She was barefoot and moved with a feline grace as she leaned against the railing beside the woman.

Her age was difficult to pinpoint; her maskless face was that of a teenager -- 17, perhaps? -- but there was something else lurking in her eyes that gave the impression she was far older.

"Are ye alrigh'?"

kleineklementine

Or... I suppose it's Lady Gray.

Dahlia couldn't keep the sneer off of her face at that offense, whether it had been intended or not. Suppose! What was that supposed to mean?! Dahlia had been Dahlia Gray for almost as long as she'd been out in society, and she at the first event she comes to, she gets 'Lady Treyburn Or... I suppose it's Lady Gray.'

Dahlia had half the mind to hit him herself! The haughty bastard.

But that didn't stop Dahlia from letting out a small groan when a voice told her that it had been her sister who'd hit him in the first place. "Of course it was. Good god. I don't understand why we can't just lock Janette in her room on nights like this."

Wait, did she say something about making another sister cry?

"Sorry, what was that?" Dahlia asked, turning to the girl and seeing her now for the first time. She didn't recognize her, but she was young so that wasn't a huge surprise. She didn't know everyone here anyway. But... she was young, right? Dahlia looked at her again. There was something about the barefoot girl that just seemed... off.

"Oh, I'm fine, but thank you," she said, forcing courtesy back into her voice. "Should I ask what you heard about the incident? Or, worse, saw? Or am I better off in ignorance for awhile?"

zozee9

Entrance from: Triple Chocolate Cake

----

Illi fumbled into the veranda, tripping over... well, the floor. She caught herself with the railing, but not before all the contents of her drink spilled out onto the abyss below. Her mouth dropped open with shock. With her luck, some dashing fellow was probably hit. Well, at least she heard no one shouting.

Her fall was caused by her seemingly notorious loss of balance, not by the wine that had recently been in her cup. In fact, Illi had been given the wine less than ten seconds beforehand and hadn't even taken a sip out of it. Looking down at its emptiness with dismay, Illi was starting to wonder if the cups were cursed.

Standing back up straight and composing herself again, Illi decided that (hopefully) no one was soaked with blood red poison this time around. Instead, she went to focusing on looking for someone who had already been a 'victim' of her clumsiness, as he liked to say. Davishire.

But it didn't take long for Illi to find out that he wasn't on the veranda, contrary to information she had received by one of the many old ladies at the party. Dahlia, however, was there. And some other lady who looked a bit... different.

While custom may dictate that Illi should introduce herself to the latter, she was in a rush. So she merely gave her a respectful nod before turning to Dahlia. "Have you seen Davishire?" asked Illi quickly. If her sister was observant enough, she might notice the redness that was still plaguing Illi's eyes. Of course, that could easily be contributed to drinking instead of crying, especially with her unique entrance.
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

Art Thread: Here! | deviantArt Profile: Here <3

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

Ivory

"Ah only 'eard a wee bit," Fi answered with a thoughtful smile as she turned her attention out over the lawn to admire the view.  It certainly was quite pretty...  "There was a talkin' bear, a butterfly, and...well, Ah s'pose she was a princess o' some sor'.  Ye know, Ah jes' realized...  There's a lot o' talkin' animals 'ere t'night."

The new voice drew her attention away from the view, then, and her smile widened into a bright grin.  "Ah, princess!  'Ello!  D'ye feel better now?"

kleineklementine

Jillian made her grand entrance before Dahlia got an answer from the strange red-haired girl. Dahlia gave a resigned sigh as her younger sister stumbled and blustered out onto the veranda, only caught by the stone railing. And there went her drink. Well, it looked like she was going to have to look after the younger girls after all, regardless of whatever she'd told Redly. It was immediately clear that Jillian had been the crying sister in question, between her flustered attitude and red-rimmed eyes. And, of course, her asking for Davishire.

"Hold up there, Illi," Dahlia instructed calmly. She managed not to sound nagging or maternal, though, but very much the older sister. Truly, Dahlia probably wouldn't let anyone go without a word after they'd almost thrown themselves off a veranda, spilled their drink, then asked desperately after a man. But least of all her sisters!

"You're acting like a mess," she said bluntly and raised an eyebrow at her younger sister. "Want to tell me what's up?" Though her tone was casual - she wasn't, after all, Illi's mother - something in her tone said this wasn't really optional. "I've heard some exciting stories," she added, inclining her head to Fi.

zozee9

Illi almost corrected the red head about her being a queen, not a princess, but then decided the better of it. She'd sound snarky.

With a deep breath, Illi figured there was no use lying to her sister. First off, she didn't really lie. Second off, there was no doubt in her mind that Dahlia would catch her. But... that didn't mean she had to tell the whole truth.

"Cherie got a little wild with her fist..." explained Illi, much slower this time. Surely Dahlia wouldn't get mad at the youngest—or too mad, at least. "She hit Davishire's face, and it was kind of my fault. So I have to apologize to him. I feel horrible." She paused before adding, "And even if Cherie didn't do any damage, I'm sure Braxton didn't help. He sounded like he was planning on doing just the same—and I think we both know that Braxton is much stronger than little Cherie."
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

kleineklementine

Dahlia looked skeptically at her sister. Unfortunately for Jillian, Dahlia was also a mother and had no problem seeing through Jillian's attempt at only telling half-truths.

(Though, inwardly, she was thinking, 'Oh lord, Cherie? Then who knows what Janette is up to!')

"And Cherie hit him for no reason? And Brax just threatened him for fun?" She gave Illi a look that said 'come on, I'm not stupid.' Dahlia gave a little sigh and beckoned for her sister to come over to her. Dahlia adjusted Illi's dress where it had gone askew.

"Look, Illi," she said, her voice gentle now. "You don't have to make up - or censor - stories with me. I'm not Mom. But think about what's going on if you feel like you have to make things up. I admit I don't know all the details, but I think it's generally a red flag if someone makes you cry and then you feel like you need to chase after them for you to apologize."

Dahlia looked over Jillian, her hands on her sister's shoulders. When had she grown up so much? Though she tried to fight it, to some extent all of her younger siblings would always be the age they were when Dahlia left home. But they weren't and Jillian wasn't a little girl anymore. And, her previous interaction with Davishire aside, she was trying to give Illi impartial advice.

"Also," Dahlia tried to give Jillian a faux-stern look, but couldn't help from grinning, "if you can't hold onto your drink, maybe you should ease up."

Ivory

As Jillian and Dahlia spoke, Fiona remained silent; there was no reason to interrupt the pair.  She seated herself on the rail and wrapped her arms around one of the support beams, snuggling against the unyielding stone as she watched the pair with a pretty smile.

It was so perfect, so normal.  It was beautiful.

(OOC: In other words, no reason to wait on Fi!)

zozee9

A wide smile spread across Illi's face as her sister tried to scold her. Dahlia just wasn't intense enough for Illi to take her completely seriously. She listened to her words and advice, of course, but Redly saying the same thing would have had much larger of an impact.

Lifting her cup up into the air, Illi laughed and replied, "If you mean in the literal sense, then I suppose I did fail at keeping my drink in my cup. But in terms of getting drunk, well, I haven't drank anything yet tonight! I've been too busy." With Davishire. "It's these heels—they're ruining my balance." Then again, all the Treyburns knew that she had some balancing problems. Unless a book was in her hands, Illi was just about the clumsiest Treyburn there was.

Illi reached and gave her sister a quick hug before continuing on her speech, but a little more seriously. "I'm twenty-eight now, Dahlia. I'm not stupid. And the only reason I wasn't telling you the whole story was because I didn't want you to overreact... like Braxton and Cherie did." She moved to lean against the railing and took a deep breath of the air. It was a lot stuffier inside, so the fresh air felt nice and cleared her head some.

"Anyway, here's the whole story. Since I get the feeling that you will pester me and won't let me go until you know it. I met Davishire, the Wolf, and we had a brief conversation that ended with me spilling wine—which I also hadn't drank, I might add—onto his costume." She paused and then sheepishly added, "You probably saw the stain... Continuing on, he was obviously upset. I mean, I got wine on his costume. And he made a comment about how life isn't a fairy tale—ah, that was related to something else. You wouldn't get the reference." After all, she doubted her sister knew the story behind the Queen and the Wolf. "But, anyway, I couldn't let him believe that. I mean, no wonder he was so sour."

With a mischievous smile, Illi continued with her hands getting more animated, "So I went to the library to search for some fairy tales. But not just any fairy tales, of course. I was looking for real fairy tales. Stories that seem like they couldn't possibly be true, but are. Well, I got a huge pile of those. They're still in the library, if you're interested in checking those out. I found Davishire, or, rather, he found Avery and me, and the mood kind of darkened. I don't know why. But I showed him one of the books and he started yelling at me."

She took a deep breath and her smile completely vanished. "At first I thought he was upset over the fact that I was touching some antique books. Which he was, but that didn't seem to be the main reason. It turned out that the first story I told him about was actually connected to his family, and he took personal offense at it. I felt horrible. After all, how could I not notice that? He even introduced himself. Heck, the character in the book has the exact same last name! Nonetheless, I was ignorant and he was obviously offended. I couldn't help but cry—I honestly tried not to—and that's when Braxton and Cherie came in." She laughed before quickly adding, "Well, you know what followed."

kleineklementine

Inwardly, Dahlia sighed. She hadn't meant to scold her sister; she'd have said the same to someone her own age acting the same. Sometimes, especially at parties it seemed, people just needed to be told to slow down and think about what they were doing. And it always seemed in this patriarchal society women were far too often trying to get the approval of men who wronged them. (Though she couldn't help but think that "I'm twenty-eight, I'm not stupid!" sounded rather petulant). And Dahlia found herself distractedly wondering just how old her younger siblings viewed her as Jillian went through her story.

In the end, she just gave her sister an amused smile and raised an eyebrow. "Really? You can picture me punching a man at a ball?" Not that she'd never wanted to.

But she sighed and shook her head. Really, Dahlia just wanted to go home. This whole soiree was proving exhausting, and her tiredness showed in her voice. "Look, Illi, I'm not trying to tell you what to do or what not to do and you certainly don't have to explain yourself to me. I just don't think I'd be much of a sister - or a friend - if I let you run straight off after how you ran in."

Thankfully before Dahlia had time to think about whether or not she was obligated to say something about chasing after cruel men with bad tempers (who should be apologizing to her, not the other way around.), music from the ballroom reached the veranda.

"There you go. I'm sure you'll find him in there. You probably don't never need to run," she couldn't help but adding with a wry grin. Dahlia showed no intention of following Jillian in, though, "I should probably find Riley. The last time I saw him he was tugging around some poor lord..." Really, Dahlia just didn't have the energy to be charming and dance with strangers, but she also needed to find her son. That much was true!

zozee9

Illi smiled at Dahlia's joke about punching a man... but honestly, she could see it. All of her siblings would fight for each other, even if they were fighting with each other. It's just how it worked. Though maybe Dahlia would be more of the yeller than the puncher...

But once the music started, Illi barely heard anything her sister said. Instead she looked towards the music and her excitement skyrocketed. She could finally dance! Maybe she'd meet some mysterious prince and share a few sweet words with him. It would be so romantic. But, first, she had to talk to Davishire.

She turned back to her sister with a hopeless grin on her face. "I think I'll excuse myself now. And I promise, I won't embarrass myself any further!" Illi curtsied for her sister, then for the other girl, and then she walked out... calmly, composed, and once again full of confidence.

----

Exit to: Waltz of the Sugar Plum Candies

kleineklementine

Dahlia watched Illi run off again with a slightly bemused look. "Yeah, good talk..." she said to the empty place where her sister had been. Well, at least she wouldn't have to come up with any excuses for not joining Illi.

Oh Illi. Dahlia wondered vaguely if she didn't underestimate the girl's silliness a bit.

Dahlia was wondering if maybe she wasn't a bit obliged to go dance. But at about that time she heard someone roar her family name and an ensuing scuffle inside. And, on second thought, she decided, she would stay just where she was. And if anyone asked, she was a Gray!

So, for now, Dahlia leaned over the stone railing again, content until the night chill got the better of her to look out over the glittering lights of Reajh.

Ivory

"Big families are fun," Fiona murmured from where she sat against the pillar.  "Ah always fel' a wee bit bad fer those 'oo weren't so lucky.  Ya miss a lot o' things, I think.  Ye mus' be one o' the older siblings.  Ye've got the same look as me brother when the rest o' us are gettin' into trouble."

She scooted sideways so that she could straddle the railing, thus able to look out over the city and speak to Dahlia at the same time.  It wasn't really a very ladylike way to sit, but Fiona seemed not to mind, and her skirt was long enough that it wasn't terrible inappropriate.  "There were six o' us, all told.  'Ow many siblings d'ye 'ave?"