Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Hell or Highwater [M]

Started by visualspice, March 21, 2014, 11:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

OOC:This thread is continued from here.

-----------
The white horse tore across the ground, mud and snow kicking up in it's wake. The path had been long and a cold one, as the weather grew worse and worse with each mile trekked.  But fortunately for Leif, he knew where to find the priest he was after. He just hoped his hunch hadn't been incorrect. And he just hope he could trust Attie's heart.

Peering down at the woman laying across his lap, he reminded himself this was for her, for her protection, and now that her secret was 'out', he had little choice in who he could actually trust. And if he ever were to find out 'Father Merric' had been responsible for any part of what happened to Attie, he swore to Ansgar he'd kill him himself.

The Chapel at High Water (a name he only realized, upon his approach, the irony...), was a place now covered in a thick dusting of snow. And his own breath and the horse's were coming out in streamed puffs as they trotted over the wooden bridge that lead to the back stables for the church. And when the stable boy came out to greet them, Leif paused to recall his attire- and swore inwardly. Thank the Gods he had removed his mask, and ditched his cape back in Allar. But the dark suit of armor..
he just hoped did not give his alter ego away. If Merric were to find out he was the Masked Mordecai...

Shaking that thought side, he called the stable by over.
"Father Merric. I must speak with him. Tell him.... Attie is here for him."
He did not want to use his own name, but he knew Attie would draw a different response than his own.

So as the stable hand rushed back inside, he stood there waiting, neck craning up towards the towering steeple of stone. He recalled back to the last time he was inside the steeple of a church- and what was left in the bell tower.

He heard a door open and turned to regard Merric. he saw his expression, and though Leif was scowling he approached him anyway, Attie bundled in his arms.
"I need your help." he said, and just enough of Attie's unconscious face was exposed beneath the blankets, snow kissing lightly against her delicate cheeks. "Attie needs your help." And the last part was spoken in barely a whisper.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Lion

The blood on his hands wouldn't be easy to wash away.  He neglected to wash them before leaving the city, but he had feared he had been seen and departed the scene as quickly as he could before leaving with the documents in hand.  He'd delivered them to their prime destination, to the Sanctuary in Lluin, deep in Fakenrath.  But now that that matter was taken care of -

His thoughts were cut short when a young stable hand came into the refectory section of the church, looking for him.  He looked at his hands and saw them still stained here and there with blood, but the patterns were light and he dipped his hands once more into some blessed water, cleaned them and splashed his face.  The cold water temporarily revived him, recalling he had heard the boy name 'Attie'

His heart beat heavily in his chest as nodded to the boy and followed him out to the rear of Highwater Chapel.  He was in simple robes of brown with a blue undertunic and he paused in the evening darkness as he saw the high form of Leif Arrant above his white filthy horse.  And bundled in his arms...

"Attalia..." he breathed.  His eyes lingered on Leif.  "What...what do you need?  What happened?"

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

visualspice

Upon catching Mercuxio's gaze, Leif did all he could do to fight off a glare.
"I'll... I can tell you inside. Do you have some place for her to lay.. and we... to talk?"
He grit his teeth. He hoped he wasn't making a mistake.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Lion

"Yes we do.  In the refectory. Please, come with me,"  Merric helped steady Leif as he dismounted from the horse and led him inside the chapel in the rear.  There were soft beds for the priests that stayed there and an infirmary chamber just down the hall in the eastern wing.  Merric led the way and opened the door for him.

"Please lay her on the cot."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

visualspice

Leif hesitated briefly, checking to ensure the room was clear. But it seemed most of the chapel was vacant, so once he lay his sister's unconscious form upon the cot, he immediately turned to Merric and said, "You'll want to close the door."

Lion

Mercuxio was way ahead of him and closed the door with a soft click, even locking the door.  He moved to stand across from Leif and looked at her with eyes of confusion and some distress.  "What has happened?  Why is she unconscious?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Leif frowned, trying to think of the best way to present this information before he sighed.
"You'll find out soon enough- the entire capital city in Allar has been flooded, and it was no fluke of the ocean." Peering down, he looked at Attie, laying motionless on the cot.
"There was a plot concocted to frame her. We barely managed to get her out. But it was the workings of the church. I tried to keep her in hiding... from them," he went on, bitterly. "But they still managed to sniff her out. I dind't know where else to take her... so I figured I'd bring her to you." He peered up at Mercuxio. "I hope I'm not mistaken in trusting Attie's instincts on you. I figured she can't be completely naive enough to fall in love with the enemy."

Lion

Mercuxio was flooded with a mix of emotions, and they all pooled within him into a volatile mix.  He simply stared at Leif for the longest time before he turned to look at Attalia instead.  She looked as if she had just been through hell and back.  And from what Leif had just said, if any of it was true - and Merric had no reason to believe it wasn't considering the tension of their relationship - she just had.

He held his breath, unleashing it in a shuddering tone and still said nothing to Attalia.  He simply sat down beside the bed and took her hand in his holding it softly and gripping her palm to his.  Thank Ansgar he still felt a pulse.  But something more sickened his stomach and he frowned deeply. 

"How do you know it was the Church?" he asked softly, never taking his eyes off of Attalia.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Leif waited for a long moment before revealing quietly," That's where I found her. And she told.me everything."

Lion

His hand squeezed her tighter as if that would some how summon her awake.  Merric tried to cool his expression.  "An entire city?  Flooded?  How?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

"They messed with her powers... But instead of curing her, they made her magic worse. She had no control.over it.SShe.... Was attracting the ocean to her."

Lion

Mercuxio cut his eyes back to Leif.  "That is insanity," he breathed, but his tone was not one of disbelief.  "And everyone in the city is...dead?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Leif frowned and shook his head.
"No, but I'm sure a good bit of them are."
He stared at Merric then down to Attie.
"The reason I brought her here is to keep her away from those of the church who wanted to abuse her powers. They wanted to kill myself at the Duke of Allar as well, but we were not so easily foiled." Peering back up at Merric, he then asked, "Are you willing to take her in? Do you.. have means to protect her? I know... Attie spoke of being very close to you- and though as her brother, I don't approve, I trust Attie's judgement, so I am trusting you. Can you care for her while she recovers? Find a place to keep her safe?"

Lion

Merric still felt as all this happened so fast, but he wasn't about to deny him the small favor of which he asked.  "Of course I can keep her safe," he said with small confidence.  "I would die to protect her, Leif...I believe that's largely one of the reasons you've always hated me so. But I guess that doesn't matter anymore.  What matters is here and now, and what I can do to help.  Yes, I can protect her.  I would even if you didn't ask me too.  Now, make yourself useful and retrieve that pail of water from the corner there and pour it into a basin, retrieve a small cloth from the drawer beside it as well."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Leif made a face, but obeyed. He'd do anything for his sister, and moved as swiftly as possible, hoping whatever it was Merric had planned would aid her, all the while his eyes were focused solely on Attie.

Lion

It was a simple gesture, that the cloth might help keep fever at bay when he dipped it in the cooling waters and dabbed it across her forehead.  "You may remove her shoes.  It will make her more comfortable."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Leif hesitated only briefly before bending down and working at the laces and removing his sister's shoes. He didn't like how pale she looked, and when he set the shoes aside, he peered up at Merric.

"She... well.. I'm not certain her power will be contained when she comes to," he murmured, not sure how real delicate he could put it, but there it was. His frown deepened. "She seemed to.. to believe death was the only way that could stop her. But we knocked her out and the waters stopped rising. So I took off from Allar to the first place I figured the church would not look for her- and a person I knew Attie trusted."
Sighing, he continued, "So I'm not sure what we can expect when she awakens..."

Lion

Still Mercuxio said nothing in regards to the actions of the Church.  He had remembered Leif appearing at the abbey, as if by accident or coincidence.  But every Confessor true coincidences were rare and there was no such a thing as accidents.  He could not decide, however if he could break his oath of secrets and tell him what he had found in the rubble of that church that day.  But he had a feeling that Leif already knew all he needed to about that chapel.

"What will you do now?" Merric said, adjusting Attalia's clothing to make her comfortable as he possibly could.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

It was here Leif looked up at Mercuxio.
"I'll stay here until I know my sister is well enough. Then I shall leave her in your care."

Lion

"That will be best," Merric murmured, intentionally not clarifying.  Then a thought occured to him.  "What were you doing that day?  When you met me at the chapel when I had arrived with that younger priest?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn