Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Line Between Life and Death is Quick and Sharp (Visualspice)

Started by TheAmir, April 11, 2014, 06:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheAmir

Against the alabaster floors, the moon shadows glinting through the mosaic glass windows cast a ghostly spectrum of faded colors - red, orange, green and yellow were almost drowned in the deep silver-blue. Like sentinels, the windows seemed to guard the inner cloister of the Al'Daree manse, and on most nights, they would have stood their vigil in silence, letting the shadows drift and change until the rising of the merciless sun. This part of the palace of Madev Al'Daree was seldom used at night; it was far from the suites of guests and away from the slaves' chambers, save for one.

Tonight, though, the moon shadows playing against the faded reflection of colors across the bone white floor -was- interrupted. Figures passed through the hall like black, shadowy phantoms; and from their quiet tread, it was clear they were trying to be unheard. One figure, much bulkier than all the rest, paused and looked down the white stone hall, towards a set of sandstone carved doors that were bolted shut.

"Master... forgive this one, but we must make haste if we are to get out of the city and reach your cousin's manse this night..."

Madev Al'Daree, cloaked in black - a very unusual and unwieldy garb for his ponderous bulk - held up a hand, still staring at the large, ornate doors twenty paces away.

The two personal guards, flocked by a half dozen of Al'Daree's favorite slaves, exchanged a glance. The master, it seemed, was having second thoughts about abandoning his most prized and expensive slave - the Djinni, Kaitar Besh, who was in those isolated chambers behind the locked doors.

"My master... the revolt. I beg your forgiveness, but it would be too dangerous to lead that one away with us now. He could be part of it, it is said that..."

"I know what is said," Al'Daree glanced back at the guard who had spoken, triple chins quivering as he hissed the words. "I know what is said and I know the danger. Who better than I to know the danger when unruly slaves take up arms against the very masters who have loved, fed, and protected them? Bah." He waved his hand again and turned away from the doors with an effort. He was leaving behind his entire estate, save for these few slaves and guards with what bit of his fortune they could carry. He had other manses, but this was his grandest; the loss of so much would be painful, but not as painful as his life. The loss of a slave as valuable, famous and infamous as Kaitar Besh would be as bad a blow to his mercantile empire and social status as leaving his gold and most precious ornaments behind. But it must be done.

They moved on again, the silence resumed, and soon the windows were conducting solitary vigil once more.

It was late morning. Nearing noon, and nearing the time when most of the people of Essyrn would escape the blistering sun and rest.

And yet, the slave that usually came to unlock Kaitar's chambers early in the morning to bring him the light breakfast Al'Daree sent for him to partake in before sparring in the manse practice pit had not arrived. No one had arrived. No one had unlocked the door and soon the sun would reach its pinnacle outside.

Kaitar, contrary to what Madev and his guards might have thought, knew less about the revolt of slaves than most of the people - rich and poor alike - of the city state. He had heard rumors, but there were always rumors, and as he did not mingle with the other slaves, he heard no fresh news being whispered when the Master or his personal guard were not watching.

And so, Kaitar Besh, was completely perplexed as to why the tedious routine of his bitter life had been so abruptly changed.

"Maybe the fat pig has finally died, and the whole house is in an uproar..."

But no. As he sat on his bedroll in the sparsely furnished (though large) chamber, sharpening and re-sharpening his yatagan out of nervous habit, he shook his head at the idea. No. Madev Al'Daree had not died, as joyful a thought as it might be. If the pig were dead, Kaitar reasoned, there would have been the sound of customary wailing from the servants and in the streets at the news - feigned or not. But there was no mourning cry.

Suddenly, he heard faint footsteps - quick and light - coming towards his chambers from the long alabaster hall. His ears pricked up at the sound and he drew his veil over his face; Kaitar did not go out without his face entirely covered. Or most of his body, unlike most of the people of Essryn.

The doors were unlocked and unbarred, but whoever was doing it was not as practiced as the old slave woman who brought his food and led him to the sparring pit every morning; this was an unsure hand who now opened his door.

A face peeked in - young, with dark brown eyes wide in a heart-shaped face. A slave girl, barely of age. Kaitar had seen her now and then in the past few weeks as she followed the master hither and fro - obviously one of Al'Daree's new pleasure slaves.

When the girl saw him, she gasped and stammered out something unintelligible before turning and bolting back down the hall. Whatever was going on was so out of the ordinary that Kaitar could only blink once or twice before he set his own feet in motion after her.

She was quick, but his speed was like that of a great cat toying with a mouse - he caught her in less than a dozen steps. The girl stifled a scream as a hand clamped over her mouth and the other caught around her waist - the hold was like iron, and her struggles did nothing to free her.

Slowly, the fingers around her mouth flexed enough to allow her to catch her breath and at her ear she heard a low, raspy voice "Where is old Hizarja, why have they sent you instead?"

"Don't..." she began, and Kaitar could feel her shaking. She did not know that he had no intent on hurting her - a simple slave girl that could not have done him any harm - but he wanted answers. Her fear (for no doubt she had heard rumors and stole wary glimpses at him when she could) would serve well to find out what was going on. "Don't steal my soul, please! They only sent me to let you out. They said it wouldn't be fair to keep you locked up to starve, even if you were a Dji..."

Well, that was affirmation enough of her having heard wild tales and rumors. "Who sent you to let me out? Where is the Master?"

"The...the other slaves. Master isn't here." she rushed on, still trembling, but now speaking more clearly and struggling against his hold. "He's gone! We searched the manse but he is gone, along with the guards and Akadul and..."

Kaitar let her go, thrusting her away from himself so abruptly that she stumbled and fell to her knees.

"Gone...?"

She turned to look up at him, pale and wide-eyed. She could just make out his fierce, sharp features from under the dark veil, and his two eyes gazing at her like merciless suns through the haze of a sandstorm. Inwardly, she shuddered, but forced a reply.

"Gone, yes. We think he ran away last night because of the uprising that's been happening against some of the merchant princes. He's gone!" and there was a touch of joyous defiance in her voice that made Kaitar's lip twitch -almost- into a cold smirk. No doubt the girl had not enjoyed her appointed role in serving the sweating, grotesquely obese and - more off-putting than either - cruel Madev Al'Daree.

She got up to her feet and turned, running again as if she had seen her opportunity to escape the awful soul-stealing Djinni before her. Kaitar let her go, musing in silent amazement and feeling a touch of bitter irony. He had long waited for a moment like this - a chance to escape. But he had not imagined, in all his plotting and hate filled dreaming - that Madev Al'Daree's ownership of him would end with his Master sneaking off in the night like a thief. Ire coiled in his gut like a snake; it should have been different. Al'Daree should meet his end at the sharp edge of his prized slave's yatagan.

But it was not to be. Not today, anyway. And he could not stand there pondering revenge. It was near enough to noon now that most people in the city would be inside, or at least not out on the streets. Now was the time to get away and find someplace to plan the next step...whatever that might be. Kaitar had never really thought much on it beyond the actual moment of freedom itself.

And for the briefest of instants, he felt a bite of fear - what was he going to do now? Everyone in the city knew who he was, simply because they knew Madev Al'Daree or had seen him fight in the Colosseum. It would be nigh impossible to blend into a crowd like most runaway or rebel slaves could. His appearance alone would give him away, even if he hadn't been a famous slave-fighter.

No time to worry about it - if he was going to make a break for it, noon was the time. Fewer people to spot him. Unconsciously, Kaitar felt for the yatagans at his sashed waist as he managed a quick, but controlled, walk towards one of the tall windows. Now, from the other levels of the palace and from the courtyard, the sounds of slaves looting and declaring their freedom reached his ears. He would not join them - they might have sent one of their own to unlock his chambers, but he was no more welcome amongst their rank and file than he would be anywhere else.

Without ceremony, he drew his yatagans and, using the handles, smashed the beautiful mosaic, stained glass windows before leaping into the courtyard some dozen feet below. An hour later would find him sliding along the scant shadows of a narrow alley, peering furtively about like one of the feral cats that prowled the city looking for vermin or scraps of food...or danger. And like a cat, he had no other thought at that moment than trying to stay out of sight.

visualspice

OOC: Trigger warning- suicide is mentioned as a theme within this thread

-----

The laughter, though jolly, was about as hollow as the clay pots that sat around them as they enjoyed their meal of rice, bean and fruit; and just a sparse amount of meat they were able to find and afford. She hadn't take kindly to this sort of life style, and like her future yet to come, she found this dry and godawful hot and unforgiving desert nation about as barbaric as her fiance, for they were both deceptive and pretty on the outside, but internally, even she knew the grumbling whispers of what went on in the under belly of this city- and also the cruel, undercut notions of the man she was currently engaged.

Slave Rebellion. Thievery. A poor nation it was at best, one that seemed to be riding on the tides of a time long forgotten. Essyrn- once known to all as the 'Jewel of the Desert'- seemed more like the 'Shit of the Kaadir' as Winifred Rosalina picked at her food. Her mother raised a sharp brow and cleared her throat.

"Dear, you haven't much touched your food."

Winifred pushed her plate away, green eyes meeting to her mother's. "I dare say I'm not very hungry. And it's noon time and we're in Essyrn. The sun takes it's toll, mother. I think I'll go and rest like the servants for the rest of the afternoon." And with a bow of her head, she rose from the squat table as her fiance turned to look up at her, his eye lashes fluttering incredulously.

"A noon time nap?" His laughter came cheaply. "Really, Miss Rosalina, you had promised to join me this afternoon. Do you truly intend to abandon your promise?"

Winifred held his gaze, saying nothing for a time before answering him, "Yes."

Drake Gassir had been about to swallow his wine when she spoke, and he nearly choked on it.
"What? But we've been planning this all week. My fellow tradesmen have been most curious to meet you." There came those pretty eye lash flutterings of his again, a habit he took to when nervous. Winifred's expression did not change.

"Yes, I am aware, but would it be wise to subject your fiance to such an event in her condition?"

"Condition?" Drake laughed. "Come off it, Winifred. Being in an ill mood does not warrant you are ill anywhere else. Now, you're going and that's the end of that." ANd he tossed his napkin onto the table after dabbing away the invisible food at his lips and turned to the nearest slave. "So what's for dessert?"

Moving away from the table, Winifred made haste for the hall, but it was an action she'd soon be forgetting as her fiance rushed after her, meeting her halfway where the two were in more private a location as he latched on angrily onto her wrist.
"Winifred, did you not hear me?" he told her, forcing her to turn around. Winifred struggled in his grasp.

"Drake.. you're hurting me!"

He gave her a good shake.
"And I'll do more than that for your arrogance. Talk to me like that again and you'll feel the back of my hand to your face. Now.. go prepare yourself for the afternoon."

Winifred, though shocked he'd threaten to reprimand her so close to her mother' proximity, found the strength in her anger to glare right back at him as she said, "No."

His eyes blinked prettily again.
"No? Do my ears deceive me, Winnie?"

Yanking her hand away from his hold, she glared back at him.
"I told you, I was not feeling well. I will not be forced into-"
And that's when the back of his hand met to her face, and she dropped onto the floor. It was here his voice rose like a lion's roar.

"YOU ARE MY FIANCE!" he bellowed. "YOU WILL NOT DISOBEY ME! IS THAT CLEAR!?" At her silence, his rage was only fueled. "I SAID IS THAT CLEAR!?"

Tears shown inside her eyes as she peered up at him, a hand cupping her swelling cheek. And though anger shown, so did fear. She furrowed her brow as a few bits of blood trickled down from her nose.

"Y-yes, Mr. Gassir," she told him softly.

Adjusting the lapels of his suit, he smoothed back his hair.
"Good. Now fix your face and wipe off that blood. We've got things to do."

And the evening went no better than that, she had cleaned up just like her fiance had ordered her to do- and was quiet and reserved at his side, just as he had wished her to be. So as she was presented to the men, she acted off of his cues, and replied as obediently as a dog. But when the night came and they had returned to their wing they were staying at in the 'Wings of Oasis' palace, a large manor home of a merchant prince whom Drake was in close relations with, Winifred's behavior was addressed again, with another hand taken to to her face, and not just once, but several times until she was quieted and left to whimper all night in her own room. And when she went to confide in her mother about it, she only said Winifred's attitude was to blame.

The next day had happened like the other, but her face was so sore,a nd it was hard to use her make ups to cover all of the bruising, and this time, when she tried to excuse herself for an afternoon nap, her fiance actually let her go-

And that would be his first mistake of many. Where he figured she needed to sleep off his reprimands upon her- she secretly was planning to rid herself of this life, and the moment she was out of that place she moved down the hall, and did not stop moving untils he was making her way outside, winding herself through the back alleyways in the narrow streets and shadows of the noon day light. The places here were all but abandoned, and soon the roads before her were beginning to blur as she sobbed.

And then she rounded a bend, and found herself at the edge of a cliff side, over looking one section of streets that towered over the other end of the northern streets below. And it was here she found herself hefting onto her skirts, and scrambling to climb up and onto the road side wall, and as she climbed, she gasped as her heels slipped on some of the crumbling lime stone. But it did nothign to deter her from climbing to the very top- and once there, she stood now, a dull wind sweeping over the desert city and tossing about the loose strands of her red hair.

She stood out in this place like a sore thumb- pale skin, red hair and layers of skirts and bustles of a fashion no lady here would dare ever seek to wear. But it was not this fact that made her suddenly desire to leap from the ledge, but the cruelness of her fiance, whom she dreaded to marry when she and her mother were to return to Connlaoth. And her mother constantly reminded her she had no choice. If she didn't marry Drake Gassir... her family, mother included, would be ruined. Their father had died and hadn't left a penny to his name. Their title was on the outs, and their only hope to remain in society was for Winifred to marry-
and Drake Gassir had been a perfect match.

But Drake Gassir was not what she wanted, and she'd rather have found herself living a poor life than to be his. The way she saw it, she was no better than the slaves that served them. So why not jump? Why not end it all here?
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

TheAmir

It became more apparent to Kaitar, as he wandered, just how LITTLE he knew of Essyrn as a city. He knew only the roads between his master's manse and the Colosseum, and the few fighting pits and private arenas of other merchant princes. Those were exactly the places he wished to avoid, for he was sure to be recognized immediately and captured just as quickly. Even during a slave rebellion that was broiling through parts of the city, -someone- would take the risk to put such an expensive and rare slave back in chains.

Keeping away from the familiar haunts he knew was easy enough, but not getting completely lost in the winding alleyways and narrow back streets was another matter. Everything looked remarkably the same; the blinding limestone walls and houses in the sun glare, the narrow alley passageways between buildings, the low domed hovels and houses of the poorer class of Essyrni. Now and then, between the tightly-packed houses, he might catch a glimpse of a market place, bazaar or store that sold oils or cloth - but he surely wasn't going anywhere near those places if he could help it .

And so he wandered, cursing himself for being such a fool and not taking a moment to prepare better. He should have taken some water, or some food. He could go for longer than most people without either, but it wasn't wise, even for a fighting-toughened half-Djinni to go around in the noon day sun without refreshment.

And then, at some point in the early afternoon, came the moment when Kaitar crouched on his haunches in an alley, glaring balefully at a small scarab beetle crawling up a dingy hovel wall, had to admit to himself that he was lost and had no idea what the -fuck- he was going to do now that he was free of Madev Al'Daree. The truth of it was, his life had not well prepared him for any sort of freedom. He could fight, yes, and he was quick and able to defend himself against most threats - but those were only somewhat practical skills now. More important skills in the life of a free man he did not have; he could barely read or write, he did not know any trade, he had no contacts in the city in which to ask a favor of shelter from, he didn't even know how to prepare food beyond what could be eaten uncooked.

He was going to have to find one of the city's wells and get water, first. The next thing to do was try to steal some food. And then...what then? If he stuck around the city, he'd eventually get caught.

There was always the Moraki desert to run to. A few times Madev Al'Daree had taken short trips around the outskirts, Kaitar and other valuables slaves in tow, to meet with caravaniers and tradesmen to see what rare goods they might have... or if they might have some fighter worthy to pit against the Djinni. The Moraki had always intrigued Kaitar. It was the home of his ancestors, after all.

But there was no way, Kaitar concluded after musing on that option, that he could survive out there on his own without knowing the tricks and skills his ancestors had in the days of old. And there was no one here to teach him those things.

In disgust, he swore violently and pushed himself to his feet, turning his bitter gaze from the little scarab beetle back onto the street. Well, food and water first then. Maybe with those all essential things in his possession, he could think of some plan to get himself out of Essyrn and someplace safer.

Kaitar crept through another narrow street, trying to get his bearings and locate a well or fountain - which were usually in the market districts at the bustle of activity during morning and evening hours.

After wandering for half an hour, darting between mud domed hovels, what he came to was not a well or a fountainhead, but the base of a high cliff. He stared at it a moment, contemplating. If he could get to the top quickly, take a brief look around from that vantage point, and then get back down before he was spotted, then he could at least have some idea of where he was at and what direction to head in. It was risky - his dark garments would stick out like a black smudge against the glare of the pale stone and sand - but he could be fast. Too fast for anyone to be able to follow him, surely. He could be up there, take his look, and be gone before anyone could identify and follow him.

Probably.

His yatagan were sharp and strong enough to pierce the old, crumbling stone to use as handholds, providing he was careful where he chose to place them. There was little in the way of footholds - just some rough notches and uneven spots along the cliff wall, but to Kaitar, the climb was not overly difficult. His natural agility and physical strength made the near-impossible-for-most feat seem almost easy.

When he pulled himself over the edge a few moments later, his clothes now white up the front with limestone dust and his yatagan blades dull with the same, Kaitar saw that he could, indeed, see a great deal of the city from atop the cliff.

But more than that, he could see -someone- else looking over the city as well. Someone up on the limestone barrier along the roadside, in fact. It...or rather she, was a foreigner, there was no doubt about that.  He had seen foreigners in the coliseum audiences, of course, and in the fighting pit itself - but never one who was standing on top of a sheer wall in an awkward, billowing costume that looked like some sort of torture to wear in such heat. And either she very foolish to be standing there where one slip of stone could send her plunging over to a death many feet below - or was uncaring of such a consequence. Perhaps the woman was simply so skilled with her footing as to not be afraid of slipping. Kaitar could hardly begin to guess the reason for the red-haired stranger to be standing atop the wall.

But, being foreign, she was maybe less dangerous than a native of the city. She might not know who or what he was.

Unless she had seen him fight.

Or knew Madev Al'Daree.

Or had been in the city long enough to know of the slave uprisings.

Or was so skittish as to immediately scream for help if a stranger addressed her.

"Or. Or. Or. What choice do you have? You cannot drink or eat doubts." His mind thoughts proclaimed.  "Try not to alarm her, or make it known who you are...but if she screams or acts suspicious, you can always run."

He cleared his throat.

"This one is looking for a well. Perhaps one who is standing so oddly on top of a wall in midday can see one from there."

Kaitar wasn't exactly a smooth talker, or any kind of talker at all - the way he struggled just to growl out the words, forcing himself to address the stranger - made that painfully obvious. He completely failed at a polite or customary greeting, but what fighting slave needed to know how to be well spoken and polite? He kept care to stay his distance so the strange woman couldn't get a good look at his features through the veil. If she screamed, someone would come running to see what the commotion was, noon or not. And if she told of what she had seen, they'd have slave catchers or mercenaries out hunting for him within an hour. Better to try to act as if he were just some normal everyman on a stroll.

"Oh yes, surely," Kaitar sneered at his own thoughts, "On a stroll that including climbing up a cliff with two wicked curved blades, dressed as a slave. Even a foreigner might find that odd, yes?"

visualspice

Upon hearing his words, she was startled as she whirled around on her heels with an evidently loud and dramatic gasp. But the gasp was only partially warranted by the approach and speak of a perfect stranger, for at the sudden jerk on her heels, she found herself slipping, and thankfully her back fell against the side of a nearby building, which she clung onto now out of fear. Had she not been so close to it, she would have certainly fallen to her doom.

Her heart, now pounding away inside her ears, was nearly deafening, and for the life of her, she had no idea what the man had said or wanted as she grit her teeth and looked down upon the darkly clad figure, who seemed to be all hair and clothes.

"Who- who are you? And what do want?" she asked, trying to keep her voice from trembling, but her fear, mixed with that of the winds now whipping over her head, made her voice, perhaps, waver even more than it was intended. For all she knew, this stranger was a friend of Mr. Gassir's, and that very notion not only frightened her, but made her angry as she steeled herself with a glare.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

TheAmir

For a split second, Kaitar was fairly sure he was about to watch the strange woman go plummeting to her death. But she caught herself; obviously she had been unaware of his approach and he had startled her. At least she hadn't screamed and brought the attention of someone resting inside a home down the street. And the fact she had asked who he was - demanded to know - meant she was foreign enough to not have knowledge of some of the more reputable (or who they were owned by) fighting slaves, probably. At least, Kaitar hoped not.

He hesitated, though. He had no lie ready on his tongue to spit out. He had no fake name to present up in such a situation. In truth, it had never even occurred to him; he'd been too busy just trying to decide what to do next and where to go. It was becoming undeniably and bitterly apparent to Kaitar that he was making a complete fuckery of trying to stay a free man, even though he'd only been one for a very short time.

He stood there a second longer, grunted softly and heard himself present a name at length.

"This one is called... Rasheeri."

Well, probably this woman had no idea that was the name of one of the more famous horses of Madev Al'Daree's stables. Unless she was one of those foreigners that was interested in the horse breeding stock of Essyrn.

"Forgive me the scare I gave you, yes?" Kaitar tried to sound contrite, but it was not in his makeup to be very apologetic, he was blunt and often caustic - and now he was also overly anxious; his tone was short. "I asked if you could see a well from where you stood. I am looking for one as ...as an errand."

He glanced around quickly, as nervous as a cat trying to act casual around a dog that might bite.

"This one must find a well before long, as he must hurry back to complete the errand before the sun begins to get much lower."

Well, that part was true at least. He was pressing his luck already, and soon people would begin drifting out from their afternoon rest to begin setting about their business as the evening cooled.

visualspice

"Rasheeri?" She repeated the name with a blink. And upon rolling it over inside her head and realizing it was not familiar, she tucked that bit of information away and kept a wary gaze on him. BUt then he surprised her with what he asked about, and she found herself blinking again.

"You're... seeking... a ... well?" At first, it did not register, and she remained lamely leaning against the sandstone wall, but after more of her panic subsided, she released and audible sigh and shook her head. "Does it look as if I am seeking a well? Would it not be in the town's center?" And though, yes in fact, she could see much from her perch, the more she thought about it, the dizzier she became. "You seem to be from around here, where I am not. I am merely a visitor to Essyrn."

Not that she had a choice on that matter, and continuing to look the man over warily, she then added more simply, "You will just have to ask someone else." ANd she turned away from him, trying to return once again to her unpleasant thoughts about jumping, and trying to get the nerve again. But even as she closed her eyes and took a step forward, hearing some stones slipping over the edge made her gasp and cling once again to the side of the building, and wondering what the hell she was really doing here after all. If anything, she should be wasting her life on such a man- in one way or another- but she should be seeking a way to free herself. But what way was free?

Peering back towards Rasheeri, she gave him another skeptical glance before asking, "Your master. Where does he live?" Perhaps it would be as simple as the other slaves, and she could use him to find means of a way to escape this place- even though the very notion of 'running away' seemed ridiculous. She also had no idea this man was a run away slave at all, and was not completely aware that all slaves ought to wear a veil, and for all she knew- this man wasn't even a slave at all. But out of her own ignorance, she could only deduce someone speaking in such a broken and simple manner could surely not be of the wealthier class,a nd surely the lower class would not be so lame of tongue either. BUt then again, this place.. it was a whole other world.

TheAmir

Kaitar watched silently and didn't reply - what good would a reply do? He could not force her to take another look from her place on the wall. Well, he supposed he could, but that would bring screaming and the screaming would bring others. And others would bring slave catchers, probably, or guards or...well, trouble in general. And despite his harsh nature, Kaitar was not one to attack someone on a whim. Not even when he was close to panic about what he was going to do.

And that was a new sensation; panic. It had been a long time since he felt that kind of fear, for he had flirted with death so often during his fights in the arena that it had long ago cease to make his knees turn to jelly. But this was different, so entirely different. He was on the run, he had no idea where to go, what to do, who might be trusted and who might be an enemy. At least as a fighting slave those things were very cut and dry.

He was about to leave, to slip back down the alley and try some other direction. Maybe find some other slaves ... if he could locate any... that might be willing to help a runaway, or might be so intimidated by his reputation they'd be afraid to say "no" to helping him.

But then the woman was speaking again, and Kaitar himself turned back around. He eyed her a moment from behind his veil, and then - once again glancing around to make sure no one else had come out into the street - held up both of his hands, palms outward to show he had no intent of harm. Then, moving with the sure-footed and near predatory grace of a leopard, he made his way up the wall himself. He stopped short of approaching the red-haired woman, though, and kept a distance between them of a few feet.

"Look there, towards where the sun will set tonight." Kaitar said, pointing. It was not where the manse of Madev Al'Daree was - in fact, it was in almost the exact opposite direction - but even if this woman was a complete stranger to Essyrn, he couldn't take the chance of telling her exactly who his master was or where he had come from. "...My master is the honorable Bahmad Sahar, who lives far at the edge of Essyrn. I do not know this part of the city well, but he is here visiting his cousin's manse and he sent me to get water."

He lowered his hand from where he had been pointing and stood, unconsciously in a too-alert fashion for a slave on a mere water-fetching errand- watching Winifred warily.

"It is a poor time of day for sight seeing, " he went on, his voice like gravel, " One could not know that a stranger overlooking the city in such heat was not hoping to spot a well.  A stranger can easily fall sick from thirst in such heat, very fast. A stranger can easily slip from such a wall. A stranger, especially a woman with no escort, may be at risk from angry slaves who are revolting and rebelling against the masters. They may mistake a stranger in such clothing for a friend of the hated masters they run from, and be prone to violence against her. All would be bad ways to die."

visualspice

She had all but expected 'Rasheeri' to actually climb the wall, and her eyes went wide, perhaps wider than the tower in Uthlyn and her heart nearly leaped into her throat. Out of instinct, she backed away from him- friendly words or not, and pressed her back up against the side of the wall, one hand clutching onto the stone, the other hand before her, pressing into her chest as she squeezed that hand into a defensive, tight fist.

"J-just stay right there! Right where you are! There's no need to come any closer!"

If his words about rebellions and being a woman and not being safe were meant to comfort her, it did the complete opposite. She turned away from him now and threatened, "Just stay there. Or.. or I'll jump!" And she hesitated, her mind whirling in a dizzying frenzy at the sheer drop. But she somehow found strength to jut out her chin, despite the fear that washed through her along wtih another desert wind that swept through the buildings and tossed her hair and skirts gently.
"I'm not afraid to do it! Just.. just climb back down where you have come from! Right now! I mean it!" And it was only then did her eyes finally go back to his, and though she was trying to appear strong, fear was still evident in her disposition, especially the way her lips did tremble. But she was a stubborn one and was not about to listen to reason, not here, not now, not anywhere. For like Rasheeri, she was not about ready to go back to the life she had just run away from...

No, she was on the ledge now...
and all she had to do was take the plunge.
Turning her eyes away from Kaitar, she peered back over the ledge. But oh... wasn't that quite the drop? And she was trying not to imagine how much it would hurt if she got the guts to actually throw herself from that wall. She bet those sand stone buildings were painful. But it was not time to think about that.

No... no...
What other way was there to freedom but down there? In a pool of blood and death? But even she tried to convince herself, she froze stock still, too afraid to actually take the leap she was threatening this man with.

TheAmir

Kaitar said nothing for a moment, nor did he move. Instead, he stood watching the woman. She was defiant, but clearly afraid of the ultimatum she had put forth. Had he not been so close to the edge of panic himself, he'd have wondered more just why a foreigner, who looked to be of high class if her manner of dress were any indication, would be so hasty to make threats about ending her own life. He might even have deduced she was in a very-near panic herself, had he been thinking clearly.

But Kaitar was not thinking very clearly. Some part of his mind was telling him to get -away- before she screamed for help or did actually fall (and would have, probably, screamed at that no doubt). There would be no doubt who the blame would fall upon, and no doubt he'd be whipped bloody before being sent to wherever Madev Al'Daree was or to some relative, or to the slaver's block.

And he really -would- throw himself off a wall before that happened.

It was that realization that made him let out a sigh that was nearly a growl, shaking his head at his own thoughts as if to clear them away. He crouched down a moment, pushing back the veil in annoyance, his sharp featured face grim with frustration and bitter fear.

"You will not jump," he said, absently in a musing, somber tone. "Heh. I have seen men and women who are willing to throw their lives away on a whim. They have no fear left in them...at least, no more fear of death or the pain dying brings before there is the great nothing that follows." He looked over the wall, eyes narrowed - searching for a well, or perhaps just glaring at the expanse of Essyrn and the near-impossibility of getting out free or alive.

"You are a stranger here, as you have said. So this means you do not know me. But I will tell you this, and it is not a boast. I despise those who boast. If I were going to harm you, you'd already have been harmed and there would be very little you could have done for it. Except throw yourself off this wall."

Now Kaitar looked at the red-haired woman with a leveled gaze from where he was squatting on his haunches, forearms resting lightly on his knees.  He did not often have time to look at foreigners at leisure - either they were trying to kill him in the Colosseum, being fighters themselves, or they were foreign nobles of a higher class and not prone to rubbing elbows with the slaves their gracious hosts might own. Her features were of a far different cast than those of the native women, and her hair and skin seemed to almost glow in the noon sunlight.

"I want water, and food. And that is all I want. I have no use for any money you might have, and I have no intent of forcing my pleasure on you either, if that is your fear. I have no desire to send some foreigner over a wall to her death, by choice or accident. "

Kaitar stood up slowly, glancing back over the far view of the lower areas of the city. The sun was now past its zenith. He closed his eyes a moment, resigned to a fate he was unlikely to escape, but refusing to give up despite of that resignation. "You may meet someone on these streets who would do all of those things if you do not take more care. You should go back to where you have come from and will be safe. That is my advice to you. This one asks, in return, you do not make mention of seeing him here."

visualspice

Winifred blanched at such an accusation, and though she had a lot to reply to or a lot to call out; the only thing she found herself saying was a sharp, shrill, "I can't go back!" ANd her eyes began to bleed tears. "You wouldn't understand. Your master protects you." And she turned from him and looked down at the streets below them, her eyes still wide as her mind still whirled over the prospect to throw herself over the edge. What was she thinking? Was this really the only solution? But if this slave squealed, one way or another, she'd be thrown back into a life far worse than the death that was awaiting her below.

"If.. if you want water, you will not find it here." And she shivered as she wrapped her arms around herself, trying to remain strong, even as she cried. "I have no food, nor money on me. Or anything else you might be seeking. Just.. just go." And her eyes counted down the number of houses beneath her. It would be quite the drop, and she trembled at the thought she was so very near to actually jumping.

TheAmir

Her words touched a particularly sore spot in Kaitar. Not because they wounded his ego - he had very little ego, unless stubborness could be considered ego, but because there was a seed of truth in them. Madev Al'Daree had certainly thrown him into the fighting ring to live or die as his abilities and determination would allow, but now... with his first taste of fleeting freedom...Kaitar saw that when it came to practical living skills, he had none. His master had provided food, shelter, water, clothing. It was a particularly nasty pill to swallow, but swallow it he did.

"If I do not find water, or food, even I am like to die in a few days. The sun will burn me up and make me a husk. But even so, I will be happy to do it away from my 'master'. "

That was as far as he was willing to comment on his real reason for being there, asking strangers where a well might be. The hard, callous part of him - the part that had kept him alive in the fighting arenas and protected him against the depressive apathy many slaves were subject to after years of being owned, told him now that he should go and just let the woman jump if that was her wish. Had he not seen so much death that it now held little mystery to him? Why should the death of some woman he did not know matter in the least? Logically, it would not.

But there was another side to the half-Djinni as well. The side that would, on occasion, steal a few pieces of bread from the kitchens to leave for the scrawny slave children that were too ugly or too sickly for Madev to want to use as personal hand-slaves.  The same side of himself that still harbored some compassion, buried deeply as it might be, for other living things in situations as bad as his own.

The two sides clashed now, and he scowled at himself.

"I am going now," pointing down the wall and then towards a dim alley. "If you are wise, you will get out of the sun, too, and find some water. Water is life here, as much as the blood you will spill on those stones below should you choose to do so. But if you choose not to do so, I leave you with this wisdom that even a slave "protected" by a master will know. You are a foreigner. The sun will kill you more quickly than it will me. Soon, your skin will begin to turn as red as your hair, and you will realize how hot you are through your grief. You will want water, and if you do not find it quickly, you will collapse on the street."

Not exactly an elegant manner of saying goodbye and good luck, but it was the best he knew to do. He jumped down the street-side of the wall, landing deftly and hardly missing his stride as he began to quickly walk - almost run- towards the narrow alley that provided a small bit of refuge from the sun. He pulled his veil back across his face as he moved, and then - hidden from view between the sandstone buildings, he crouched down and watched to see what the woman would do, jump or no - even as he planned his own next move. He was still no closer to food or water or safety than he had been an hour ago, and now people would begin to come out for the evening's business.

He was well and truly screwed if he didn't get his shit together.

"Feh," he spit the exclamation out, disgusted at himself and trying to decide if it was going to really come to murdering some violence to find food and water, somehow.

visualspice

Kaitar was right. The sun was hot and already turning her pale skin pink in the process, and though she was no stranger to the heat- ladies like herself protected their delicate countenance with a parasol, that of which, for now, she was lacking. She hadn't thought to bring it in her escape, and felt terribly embarrassed. Though why should she? It wasn't like she was aiming to run away...

Though maybe she should. She didn't know, and suddenly dying terrified her to no end, so that the moment Rasheeri was gone, she found herself climbing down off of the wall and leaning in against the building. And the fear and emotions of the day completely consumed her. And though she prided herself as being such a strong woman, she could not help but find herself suddenly shaking as she sobbed.

It seemed she'd be returning to her life again. This brief run in the city, though freeing, just reminded her how locked to the chain she really was. She would marry Drake, they'd return to Connlaoth, and her life of misery would continue on the path as it always had.

To think, money was the one thing drowning her, and was the one thing so many people lacked. And now that she had an opportunity to save herself, to save her family from completely falling out of society- that she still had too much pride to swallow her fate. But she was not a woman who yielded so easily to what a man demanded of her, and for it, it was the reason it had been so hard to find her a suitable husband until now. And she could not have known that the man wiht the sweet smile had a demon inside him until it was too late-

and now she found herself treated as nothing more than another one of his trinkets, acquired through the wealth of his trade. It was perhaps Drake's smile that lured her in, but now she saw him for the viper he really was. And she was not sure she had the strength to return as she sunk to the sandy grounds and just let the hot tears continue to roll down her face- her body barely shaded by the building as the heat continued to waver about int he air- roasting just about everything in it's path.

But she cared little for it. Let the heat take her. She was done with this. She was tired and feeling more vulnerable than ever before. Yes, let the heat take her- for it seemed a better way to go than to simply jump. She'd faint, pass out- and that would be the end.

TheAmir

Kaitar watched for a few long moments, half scowling, half perplexed. The woman was still crying, and though she had moved away from the wall, she was now slumped in the sand and still under the worst of the sun. He wondered briefly what sort of grief would make a person just...give up... like that. Had she lost a child? A lover? A family member? Money? Those were the only things he could think of that he knew of might make a person seem to want to lie down and die under the merciless Essyrni sun.

Well, hadn't he had brief moments, in the arena of the Colosseum, of wanting to give up? There had been times, admittedly, when he had been bleeding, exhausted, facing a foe that might be bigger or stronger or more vicious than himself ... those times when he wondered why he kept even bothering to try to survive those brutal fights. It would have been oh so easy to just let his opponent kill him, or to lie down in the bloodied sand and die.

But he hadn't. Always his hate of his master had somehow given him the strength and the will to pick himself up off the sand and survive another fight, either by winning or by simply outlasting his foe until the other fell in exhaustion and signaled his intent of surrender.

Kaitar frowned, shook his head as he stood up and...muttering curses under his breath for his stupidity in the face of such danger... moved out of the alley and towards the woman. Now his anger was at her, and himself. Because it would have been just as easy if he were to sit down in the dirt and let the sun's heat take him into oblivion. It would take longer, true, but it would happen eventually...or, if the sun failed, the chill of the night would finish the job well enough.

No. Not going to happen.

"Do you mean to die then?" Kaitar half-growled as he approached, forgetting his caution for half an instant in his frustration, and maybe talking to himself as much as to the forlorn woman. "To let your grief and pain drag you into the dust, even while you waste water spilling tears when there is a thirsty man a dozen feet away trying to give you advice?"

A door was opening down the street, his pointed ears perked slightly as he heard the movement. He froze, looked around, and saw a child coming out into the street a few houses down.

"I cannot stay here long trying to encourage life into a foreigner who seems to want to die even more than a slave under the lash. You can get up and perhaps we can find water, or you can lie here and there will be no more I can do to stop death from stalking. I must go soon...now... you can either come and find a well with a slave that at least will not cut your throat, or ..."

He shrugged. The alternative was pretty obvious.

"It is not much I can offer, but it is perhaps better than dying in the sun."

He began to inch backwards towards the alley again, watching for a reaction, but clearly getting too anxious to stay out in the open much longer. If one child was already out of their home, it would not be long before other people followed suit. It was still hot, very hot, but now the heat would slowly begin to subside to the shockingly cold of night.

visualspice

She hadn't realized into what a state she had fallen until Kaitar had returned, and she then found herself gasping through a sob. Peering over at the pointy eared slave, she stared at him for a moment before shaking her head and telling him flatly, "No."

But there was more power behind it than even her current state seemed to allow, as her brows furrowed angrily.

"How dare you presume what is or is not right for me! To.. to give advice just so!" To think a slave would dare come to her and say such things, but as she looked the being over, her frown lines continued to crease as she studied him now in silence.

"But you.. you're a slave. Do you not wish for freedom? To be without those chains? Without those commands and to be and do anything that you wish? Well I, though not a slave in the conventional sense, am by no means any more free than you are- and for all we know, perhaps you even lead a life far better than my own, so if it so pleases you, you can be on your own way to find that water while I remain here. The sun will either tend to me, or that wall I perched on earlier. Either way, it surely beats the life I have to go back to. Money, it.. it does not buy you happiness. Do not be fooled. Don't let any of your friends be so fooled if you ever escape this, because you'll end up following the same path you are cursed to now."

And then realizing what she said, she blushed and turned away from him.
"And look at me, talking to a slave about freedoms! I must have gone mad! THe sun is already getting to me already!" And she gave a pathetic laugh at herself for that.

TheAmir

So there was a little fire in this one after all, despite her crying and being slumped in the sand. Kaitar almost smirked his bitter little smirk at that, stopping his movement backward towards the alley.

"Anger is a good thing for keeping alive. This even a slave knows. Perhaps it is the only thing a slave knows." he regarded her, his eyes peering at her through the veil like twin suns. "I have never been fooled about the false promises of wealth, though. Wealth is not for one such as I." he made a sound in his throat that might have been a chuckle, but was far too sullen. "Here is a foreign woman who is so lost in her own anger and discomfort she still thinks this slave is actually here looking for water for his -master-. Now think, foreign woman, would a slave on an errand for his master linger so, and tell advice to someone pondering death? Would they be turning now to the alley?"

He was walking backward again, and made a motion with his hand that was quick and short, but could only mean "follow".

"Death is a way out of life, yes, but it is not the only way out...perhaps for both o-"

Kaitar saw a movement out of the corner of his eye not a half dozen feet before he would have reached the relative safety of being hidden in the short alley. It was the child that had come out - a boy- and he was approaching, staring at what he must have thought was a slave and his mistress. Or so Kaitar fervently hoped. He dropped down on his knees in the dust, head bowed as if waiting some command from Winifred.

The boy hardly glanced at the slave in the dust - he was far more interested in the foreign woman, probably drawn by her clothes and hair. He grinned and, in the manner of some of the lower class children of Essyrn, held out his hand - obviously hoping for a few coins or a treat, which some of the rich masters and foreign wealthy sometimes tossed out to beggars and young children, if they were in the mood.

Kaitar kept his eyes low, but he was watching...and trying to catch the woman's gaze and convey the silent plea to play along. He had no idea if she would, or if she'd even understand why he'd suddenly knelt down in the dirt, but if the boy guessed he was a runaway slave he would go and tell in hopes of a reward. And that would be the beginning of the end of whatever chance at freedom he might have.

visualspice

Winifred's expression twisted at the revelation. Did this mean he was part of that uprising she heard about? Or... was he a man of other means? Her eyes took him in, flicking over his form before someone else had come, and when Kaitar dropped to the sands, she had all but frozen. But to see the smile from a child, one so grubby, but still sweet and naive in it's youth, all she could do was find herself staring down at his hand when he asked for coin.

Well, she had no coin to give him, and with a sniff, she gestured with her hand. "Be off with you. Go!" And before, realizing, maybe he did not speak common, she tried the command again, in broken, but still perfectly understandable, Essyrni.

The child blinked at her and frowned, stomping his foot once and keeping his hand out, but Winifred only made a face.
"I have no coin, nor gift or trinket. Go!" but it still seemed this little child did not wish to oblige, and then to the slave on the ground she noticed his stance, and briefly, she wondered- if she asked him- would he obey?

Moving over to Kaitar, she pointed at him.
"Rasheeri! See this child off at once!"

TheAmir

Inwardly, Kaitar breathed a sigh of relief. So this stranger was, at least, willing to go along with a ruse. That was surprising; she owed him no favors and the fact she had seemingly rebounded her wits enough even in the midst of her crying to pick up on what his stance and passive demeanor meant was even more of a surprise.

He stood quickly, too fluidly for a run-of-the-mill house slave; the little boy saw the movement and looked between the slave and back to the red haired woman before he made a rude gesture and ran off. Some hundred yards down the street he stopped to lob a rock at their general direction, but Kaitar ignored it as the stone skidded to a stop a few dozen feet short of its intended mark.

More people were appearing from their homes and shops now, glancing at the scene briefly before ignoring it. One woman, the boy's mother perhaps, yelled something at the child, but Kaitar didn't hear what she had said. He was looking back at Winifred, his gaze level again for the moment. Slowly and deliberately, he pulled the long coils of his hair back so they hung less haphazard.

"If you have changed your mind about lying in the sun to die, perhaps this one could be of service to you for a short time. Perhaps there could be mutual benefit. You have no escort in this place where slaves are rebelling and bandits hide in the shadows as the sun falls, and I ... I need some way to find water and food yet before I am on my way."

Kaitar didn't exactly relish the idea of pretending to be a body-slave, but it was still far, far preferable to being found out he was a runaway slave...a very valuable one.

"I do not know what troubles you have, but I still do not think you want to die here in the road, or from falling off that wall. Is that assumption wrong?"

visualspice

Winifred stared cautiously at the man for a few moments. Though it seemed the city was coming back alive, she still remained quiet to mull over his suggestion.
"Mutual help... what does this entail?" she asked, purposely ignoring the questions directed at her state, at least for now. She gave a curiously rigid tilt of her head, looked him over more thoroughly, before squaring off her shoulders and keeping good posture, and her chin held high.

"I might be interested, but I have some... reservations. I.. help you out with.. with.. whatever it is you need, directions or a well, water, what have you," she said, then paused a moment to draw in a careful breath as she laced her fingers together and rested them before her on her standing lap. "But you have to agree to help me." And here she paused, eyes meeting to his. "I'd like to find a way out of this city. To head north. Or even south. Just anywhere that isn't here. And I don't care how we do it, to get out of this place, I just want it done in a fashion that no one would know about it."

She knew it sounded risky, for she knew not who this.. this pointy eared man was, but it seemed at least he had reasons to help her- and perhaps, he was right. One could benefit the other. She just hoped he wouldn't go spoiling her idea. She was taking a big risk, after all, even suggesting such a thing. Considering... If Drake were to hear of it....

She was pretty sure her engagement would either be ruined, or she, thrown back at his feet and left 'in chains'. Drake Gassir, surely was not a future she wanted- ad she decided, right then in there that yes- she would run away.

TheAmir

Kaitar's eyes narrowed slightly, obviously pondering over the situation. So this woman was trying to run from something, it seemed. He wanted to ask at least some details - if he were going to make some sort of agreement with this foreigner to help her out of the city, he wanted to know exactly what sort of danger might be involved. He wasn't exactly worried about that, persay, but it could complicate his own situation immensely. Then again, he didn't have many options open. He, too, was wary... but he was as desperate and had no contacts or friends that he could trust to help him out of his situation. Not even other slaves. It was a big risk, but the alternative was becoming bleakly apparent; take a risk at a chance of real freedom or wind up either certainly dead or enslaved once more, sooner rather than later.

He growled softly at that image - being in chains, being whipped for running in the first place, being sold off or returned to Madev Al'Daree, wherever he might be. No. Never.

"Let us not talk here. Ears may overhear and that could end whatever chance you have of your wish to leave Essyrn, yes? And whatever chance I have..."

He didn't elaborate then and there. He tilted his head back down the narrow street where a few people were now meandering, then his eyes flicked towards the alley. It wasn't going to be safe there much longer, either, but it might do to at least clear a few things of the possible arrangement up.

"This one can only say that it is best you continue to call me Rasheeri, should you feel a need to speak my name to others. Come, let us talk a moment, and see if this can be arranged." Kaitar was about to turn to go, but then added...hesitating... "It would serve best if you acted to give me the order to follow you first,".

He almost spat those words out as if the idea was nearly unbearable. The anger was not directed at Winifred, but at the idea he would have to pretend to be subservient for a while yet. Then he straightened his shoulders, resigning himself, and lowered his head in a bow and making a customary motion that he - the slave- was awaiting the command of his Mistress and owner. He didn't know if the woman understood the gesture, and so he said quietly "I await your direction."

visualspice

Winifred digested this all, for they had come to an agreement so fast, it was almost too good to be true. But perhaps it was meant to be. It was always said good luck can have an odd way of showing itself, and perhaps her new fortunate and fate resided in the slave before her. With a nod, she peered around to a more quieter location in a narrowing, winding strip of alley ways flanked by three story tall homes.

"Rasheeri, lead us onward," she said, in the most utmost, of practiced bitchy commands. Her hand pointed in the desired direction, and she just hoped those that were beginning to gather bought their rouse. But aside from a few curious glances their way, it seemed as if the pair, for now, was left relatively alone.