Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Mistakes Were Made [Wulfbauer]

Started by kleineklementine, January 27, 2015, 05:10:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kleineklementine

If Constance was cold towards the duke, it wasn't because of a dislike of or anger with him. It was born out of, well, a certain awkwardness. How were you supposed to interact with the man who was keeping you prisoner in a house that used to be yours? Whose family was now ruling where yours once had? Before, of course, she would have taken the liberties of a certain amount of familiarity with him - even if they never knew each other so well - simply because of their relative stations. But for now, being curt and formal seemed like the safest option. The whole confusion was aided, probably, by a helping of uncertainty: Could she trust him? Should she fear him? These were questions Olive didn't know the answers to yet.

Her eyes widened a little at his sour, and she thought overblown, reaction to her 'joke.' The duke, it seemed, was in no mood. "It was just a joke," she muttered, half-apologetically.

Olive watched him carefully as he plopped down onto the chair, looking more exhausted, she thought, and concerned than he had when he'd last come to talk to her about Hellvion. The puppy, who had been curled up asleep at Olive's feet, wagged its tail, though, and belly-crawled to the edge of the bed closest to Erwin. It laid its head flat on the edge of the bed, wagging its tail and quietly whining for the man to pet him.

And while the puppy was doing that, Olive was turning over Erwin's words. She watched the way he held his head in his hands, thinking for the second time that the Duke seemed to be letting some wall down with her that she doubted he did with his advisors. Because she was the last duke's daughter? Because she was a woman? Because they'd known each other, sort of, once? She wasn't sure, but when she finally broke the pregnant silence between them, it was to say, "I believe you. Olive hadn't known she was going to say that until the words came out of her mouth. But once they were spoken, she knew they were true. In her gut, she did believe him. "I believe you," she repeated, self-consciously sitting up a little straighter and brushing back a stray lock hair from her face.

But the last thing he'd said made her frown, and her brow furrowed a little. "What... holdings, though?" She didn't know. She'd been eighteen when she'd been sent to the north. Her father had never discussed the matters of his will with her. "What about my..." her voice tightened for a moment. Talking about her father's will just reinforced what she already knew: He was gone. "My father's will," she finished, looking to Erwin. What did that have to do with what happened int he East Wing? Olive raked her memory for anything her father might have told her, but under the influence of the concoctions Artem had given her to dull her pain, she couldn't find something.

Cambie

Erwin paused to look at her, trying to wrap his own head around it. So she didn't know about the holdings, considerable financial assets that rightfully belonged to her, or at least as Burrows had described it. For a brief second he considered retracting his words and keeping the information to himself. But that would go against the whole point of his coming here in the first place. He was here to repair bridges, not further damage them.

With a soft exhale he said quietly, "Your father had considerable holdings to his name. Private interests in foreign land, mining, that sort of thing. They weren't Duchy assets but family assets to be passed down the Carwick line. And they're supposed to go to you. Or rather, they do belong to you."

He paused again, wondering if she already suspected what he would say next: that her death would have been an incredible windfall for Wulfbauer's coffers. Not that the Duchy couldn't use the money. Ansgar knew every single duchy in the entire country would have killed for an influx of money like what Constance Carwick's inheritance could have offered.

Instead he took the moment to reach forward to pick up the little puppy, placing the squirming animal in its lap as it gleefully wagged its tail. He'd always loved dogs. His own hounds were probably out in the kennels right now, spending all their pent-up energy running in circles.

"Did Grace give him a name? Or have you come up with your own?" The puppy let out another gleeful bark as Erwin scratched it behind its ear.

kleineklementine

”Oh.” Oh. Considerable holdings. Private interest in foreign lands. Family assets. Olive blinked once. She hadn’t been expecting that. She hadn’t been expecting that. Financial assets that were… in her name now? Olive racked her memory. Her father had always believed in diversification to keep Wulfbauer stable as well as strong. And part of that, Olive remembered, included investments in private businesses, both foreign and domestic. She’d never thought of it as family money, however. It had always been part of the duchy’s reserve fund. But, oh, of course. A duchy couldn’t own stakes in businesses, or foreign properties, and things of that nature. But until very recently there had been no need to make a distinction between what belonged to the Carwicks and what belonged to Wulfbauer. But now… Olive looked at Erwin, understanding.

Of course. With her male cousins deceased and her female cousins married, Constance was the last Carwick. With her gone, she imagined, the private holdings would pass on to Erwin. And now that she was alive again, and confirmed to be alive, having Wulfbauer’s private holdings in the hand of a runaway mage would be nothing short of a headache for the new duke.

Olive shook her head; she hadn’t thought about things like that in a long time. Not that she’d ever had to think much about it in the first place! Her father had, of course, gone over some of the practical matters of running the duchy, including financial, but that was a long time ago. Still. For a moment, Olive wondered if she’d spoken too soon in telling Erwin that she believed him. It struck her that her death would, indeed, be extremely convenient for him. But no, somehow she still believed him. Why should he mention it, otherwise?

The puppy strained upward to try to lick Erwin’s face, and Olive’s attention returned to the present. She watched the man and the puppy a little jealously; feelingly guiltily possessive of the dog’s affection. ”I don’t think Grace deigns to name animals,” she answered. ”I call him Kipper. I don’t believe in long, serious names for dogs. Like Alexander or Count Woofington the Third or anything silly like that.” She paused for the moment, then added seriously, ”I didn’t make that up, you know. Lord Petri’s son’s dogs were Count Woofington and Viceroy Barkley.” Lord Petri was lord of Clearwater in southern Wulfbauer, and Olive rolled her eyes to summarize how she felt about the dogs’ names.

She leaned back against the headboard of the bed, regarding Erwin uncertainly. She found herself at a loss as to what to say. Surely he didn’t come here to discuss dogs. Maybe he was hoping that she’d suggest herself that she sign over her rights to the Carwick holdings? Or maybe he hadn’t planned to discuss that at all, except that she’d asked. Maybe he just wanted to make sure she didn’t think he’d tried to kill her. She’d quite like to know what his plans for her were; Was she confined to this room now, instead of the East Wing? Was she free to move about as she pleased? Was she free to leave? But those all seemed like very bold questions to ask.

So instead she tried to muster a wry smile and asked, ”Is that why you moved me here from the East Wing, then? To try to charm me out of my family’s money?”

She flashed a second quick, if meek, smile to try to preempt another sour face from the duke, underlining 'it's just a joke!'] But again, she felt that the it fell a bit flat, but she still didn’t really know how to act with him. So the mix of awkward formality and weak humor would have to do for now.

Cambie

"That's because Wilhelm Petri is and has always been an idiot," Erwin remarked with a wrinkled nose as the dog's wet tongue skimmed his nose, remembering just how boorish and fanciful the southern lord had been the few times they'd met. As he held Kipper aloft, the puppy stopped squirming just long enough for man and animal to share a brief gaze together. Then it barked again and began wriggling in his hands.

"I should not speak ill of him though, he'll soon be Lord Petri," the Duke quietly remarked as he gave the puppy one last gentle scratch behind the ear before setting it down on the carpeted floor. Kipper instantly shot off and darted around the room as only energetic young pups could do, yapping loudly and running from wall to wall before skidding to a stop at Olive's side, whining for her to get up and play.

Is that why you moved me here from the East Wing, then? To try to charm me out of my family's money?

That caught Erwin's attention and he looked back at Olive with a slight crease in his brow. It occurred to him them that she might've been trying to inject some levity into their conversation, especially from the way flashed the briefest of smiles his way. Did he really have that poor a sense of humor?

The edges of his own mouth creased in the faintest of smiles as he sat back in his chair. "You can thank Lord Burrows for your room, and I'm sure he'd be more than happy if you signed over your assets to the Duchy, he'd be happily counting for weeks. But no, after taking a gunshot the least you deserved was a more comfortable bed to recover in. Besides, having Constance Carwick locked up in the East Wing like a prisoner would neither do you nor Wulfbauer any good. Call it a show of solidarity."

He hunched forward, hands clasped together. A small apologetic look appeared briefly on his face before vanishing as he continued, "It sounds like I'm using you to make myself look better, doesn't it? I suppose I am in a sense. If that doesn't charm you, I don't know what will."

kleineklementine

Well, she was glad he said it so she wouldn't have to. 'Sounds like' didn't seem like the case to her. She frowned at the implications, though. Was she really such a potent figure in her home duchy? She was, after all, a mage. First and foremost. That's what Connlaoth thought, anyway. And what she herself had come to think in the past years.

"Aha, so, I get to be your political pawn," she said plainly, her voice was devoid of accusation; she was just starting a fact. At least that's how it seemed to her. She let out a puffed exhale with her cheeks. "Well," she said with another small and somewhat forced smile, "I suppose since you're keeping me alive, it's the least I can do. After all, I did complain to Grace that it was hard not feeling useful..."

She was trying to keep the conversation light, an old survival trick she'd employed for much of her life after being Marked. Everything was always easier when people were at ease. But Erwin's words weighed heavily on her. Carwick financial holdings. The political implications of having 'Constace Carwick locked up like a prisoner.' She thought she was, well, done with those sorts of worries. That sort of responsibility. And of course Erwin wouldn't be able to keep it up forever... tolerating a mage and a woman and a criminal holding large financial assets that were typically used for the duchy.

"Er, Duke Therrien, sorry, but, I suppose the, um, inheritance can't be turned over to the duchy?" It wasn't clear if she was asking, or obliquely making an offer. "I mean, that must be why it's privately held by my family? Or, me, since..." her tongue caught on that. 'Since I'm the only one left. "That's very inconvenient for you. And, well, I'm sorry, but why not keep me locked up in the East Wing? I'm a mage, everyone knows that. And locked up," she shrugged, "is locked up. I guess what I'm trying to ask is... what, exactly, is my status here?"

Cambie

Erwin could only shrug his shoulders honestly, glancing away. "I don't know the answer to that question. I only learned of these financial matters several days ago from Lord Burrows, and he only told me that they were in your name. In any case I'm not here to deprive you of anything."

Anything else. Ansgar knew she'd already been dragged through the mud enough.

"You weren't in the East Wing because you're a mage," he continued, "you were there because of Valence. But now you're just Lady Carwick returned to Wulfbauer. And as to that..."

He took a deep breath, gathering his thoughts as to what to say next. It really was true that he was using her to strengthen the Duchy's perception of him as the Duke. It sounded the exact type of political play that he might have scoffed at in days past, but Erwin kept telling himself internally that it was all for the good of Wulfbauer. With the recent string of dukes and the bitter winter, the people needed a strong leader to gather around.

"I need you to have a stronger public presence as Lady Constance Carwick. The people still love you, you know, mage or not. If they could see you out and about perhaps they can forget about the hardships of the last few years." And the last winter.

"The Spring Festival is coming soon, and your mother and father always participated heavily in the festivities. You can take over your mother's duties and judge the spring flowers. And perhaps the March beer too, if you fancy such a task."

kleineklementine

Olive was prepared to say something about how she obviously still wanted the funds to be used for Wulfbauer's reserves, as she was sure it was intended to. But before she could open her mouth to do so, Erwin suggested... what?

Olive's eyes went wide, and again she scooted to sit up straighter in the bed. At that moment, she wished very much that she wasn't in a bed at all. She felt much more vulnerable, much less ready to fight her corner, than she would if she were properly dressed and standing. His 'suggestion' left her winded; it was one thing to have her story be used for this or that reason, but, a stronger public presence?

"They didn't 'love me' when they sent me north to the camps," she sputtered, and immediately regretted it. She looked down, cheeks coloring a little. That had been a choice her parents had made, for much the same reasons that Erwin was suggesting this now. It wasn't a decision that belonged to anyone else, lease of all the common people of Wulfbauer. "Sorry, that wasn't fair," she muttered, not making eye contact with Erwin.

The silence that followed was thick. Sensing the tension between the two, Kipper lay flat on the bed and turned his head form Olive to Erwin and back, whining quietly. In her heart of hearts, Olive knew that Erwin wasn't asking anything of her that wasn't already expected of her simply from the circumstances of her birth. The role of a young noblelady was to do as she was told, for the benefit of the duchy, or her father, or her husband, or... But that life was supposed to be over now. She'd never wanted that life to begin with! She wasn't 'Lady Constance Olivia Carwick', she was a mage, a fugitive, a fighter. That had been the real purpose of her title, the influence that went with it, the ability to stand up to the government that had cast them aside. Including her. Including hundreds of innocent people. Not to judge flowers.

"What?" she asked, finally looking up at Erwin, as though only just hearing his words. "No! The Spring Festival? You can't be serious. I don't want people to 'forget!' Think of what that means. Forgetting the war. Forgetting the neighbors, the brothers and sisters, the daughters and sons that should be there but aren't. That are either dying in Calent's camps or on pointless battlefields. No one should forget that! That was why-" she bit her lip, looking away to stay her tongue, her expression tense and hard. Angry. She had nearly said something about how that was why they had attacked the ball at Hellvion, but given how that turned out, even she couldn't make herself say it. And, just as importantly, even she knew that the Spring Festival was no grand ball like Melora threw in Hellvion. That it was for everyone, common and noble alike.

Cambie

"Perhaps I used the wrong word," he quickly corrected, feeling the heated passion coming from her frantic response. He said nothing when she abruptly fell to silence and looked away, though he surely could guess at what she might've said next.  The Hellvion affair had started this whole mess, and in a way had resulted in Valence.

His expression hardened at that thought and he continued, "I don't want the people of Wulfbauer to forget the toll this war has taken on them, nor do I want them to forget the suffering and the dead. Ansgar knows we won't ever forget what Krah did." Or the fact that the Duke would've hanged the bastard in this very room if he were available for it. Even he could hear the little crack in his voice from where he had to fight to keep himself composed.

With a soft exhale, his voice took on a calmer, more neutral tone.

"I want them to see that despite everything that has happened, Wulfbauer continues to persist. That there's some semblance of normalcy, or that we're slowly returning to normal if that could ever happen at this point." It occurred to him how grossly inadequate that sounded especially to someone like Olive who'd lived the nightmare of the mage camps. While he'd been in the military since the Purges began, he had never been assigned to any detail even remotely close to the mages and only knew of the atrocities from hearsay. Border skirmishes paled in comparison to what she'd faced. He had difficulty even imagining the horror.

Maybe his openly defying Calent, in withdrawing the Wulfbauer army and halting the summary deportation of mages from the duchy, would begin to heal those deep wounds. Or maybe it wouldn't make any difference at all. He couldn't be sure. He wasn't sure of anything he did these days.

A silence lingered between the two of them, though his eye contact never wavered. Finally, he said quietly, "At least that's the hope."

kleineklementine

Erwin might have kept his eyes firmly on her, but Olive’s gaze was planted in the middle distance, fixed on a speck on the wall opposite of her. But that didn’t mean she didn’t listen. What he had to say, it sounded good. But the gap between how the things people said sounded and what they actually meant, she knew, could be a broad one. And she couldn’t help but think that they also sounded empty; nice-sounding words to placate her, make her more pliable. She thought he might even believe them, but what did that mean? Good intentions alone wouldn’t be enough to heal the wounds of war.

But it might be a start. That’s what a voice in the back of her head said, though in her anger she wanted to ignore it. Olive ran a hand through her hair, letting out a slow exhale through her nose.

”Hope for whom?” she asked, finally meeting his persistent gaze. Her voice was still tight, but the flare of anger had drained out of it during her long silence. ”And what sense of ‘normalcy’ do you want to return to? This war didn’t come from nowhere; it wasn’t like an earthquake or a flood, an act of nature no one could have predicted. It was born out of generations of accepting that the discrimination and violence meted out against mages was ‘normal.’ We can’t return to that if we want the war to end.”

And if they returned to that normal, then what would have been the point? All the ruined lives, all the spilt blood, all the families torn apart. It would all be for nothing.

Cambie

Again, silence descended upon the room.

She was right, after all. The situation gripping Connlaoth had not come about suddenly, but had swelled in the consciousness of the people for years —generations, even— until the distrust of mages finally erupted in madness. Erwin still remembered when news of the Grand Duke's murder had trickled into Wulfbauer, almost ten years ago. That had been the impetus, but he never could have imagined how terrible the result could have been.

But those ten years had seen a marked increase in brutality and violence against the mages. Men, women, children. He'd seen his fair share of blood and combat, but the thought of systematic liquidation brought an unsettling feeling to the pit of his stomach. No, it'd definitely gotten worse.

"We cannot continue as we are now," he finally said in response, with only a shrug of his shoulders. How else could he explain it to someone who knew the horrors firsthand, and much better than he? Instead he picked up Kipper and set the dog on the ground, crouching low to pet the pup's furry muzzle.

"Maybe it's impossible to change hundreds of years of cultural belief, let alone go back to ... whatever we had before this war started. But wherever we end up, we could start now. A mage given the opportunity to preside over duties reserved for a Duke and Duchess. They'll see that this Duchy isn't sending anybody North anymore."

Thinking it over, Erwin let out a soft mirthless laugh. "They'll either appreciate the gesture, or take up arms and burn down this castle."

kleineklementine

'But wherever we end up, we could start now.'

Something in Olive's expression changed, and she wondered if she was seeing now Erwin Therrien, the military leader. Words mattered, she knew; words could inspire people, on the battlefield or off. And for the first time, she was looking at Erwin again. The few times he had spoken to her about political matters, he seemed so, well, unsure of himself. But when he spoke like that, Olive saw a more than capable leader; and she wondered if he could see it as well or not.

And, of course, it meant he was right. As uneasy as it made Olive feel. Duties reserved for a Duke or Duchess, handed over to a mage. Even if that mage was the daughter of a Duke and Duchess. What other mage could do it? But he was right. It would matter. Or, at least, it could matter.

Which meant she would have to retract her initial objection.

Olive was silent for a long moment, then ventured carefully, "I don't think it's a matter of whether it's a gesture people will 'appreciate' or not. It's about..." she searched for the words for a moment, "what message their duke sends them. The people will listen. They'll listen," she sat up a little straighter again, feeling a bit self conscious, "to you."

But that wasn't the only thing Erwin had said. And she was almost too afraid to ask. Olive bit her lip, then asked with obvious trepidation, "Did you really... You really aren't sending any mages north, to...?"

She didn't finish the sentence, her green eyes keen on Erwin. Looking both hopeful it was true, and concerned that it wouldn't be.

Cambie

"They'll listen to me," Erwin said without looking up at her, half repeating her words and half voicing them to himself. Inside, he knew they likely would. In the military, a soldier listened to the words of his commanding officer and accepted them. Maybe running a duchy wasn't so different.

Of course, there was the other similarity between a command post and a dukeship: respect. In both situations it had to be earned. He'd earned it in the army, but he was still new to this job. And worse, begrudging assent from Wulfbauer's citizens was more difficult to win for an untested Duke -- and likely easily lost.

When her careful question drifted to his ears, he finally stopped playing with Kipper and met her gaze with his own azure eyes. "I recalled the army and put a halt on all such activities while we await Calent's answer for Valance," he said slowly.

And then he shook his head and added in a slightly quieter voice, "But I have no intention of sending even one more Wulfbauer citizen to the camps."

What would the council think of that? What would the people think of that? For weeks now, he'd played out the conversation in his head, and each time his advisors had agreed with him that halting the unnecessary condemnation of Wulfbauer lives was for the best.

Or maybe that was just how he wished they'd react.

kleineklementine

Olive stared at Erwin. The emotion brought on by this news was clear on her face, however much she tried to conceal it. 'No intention of sending even one more Wulfbauer citizen to the camps.' She wondered if he really understood what that meant; what he was really saving people from. What it meant to be sent to the camps. If, that was, there were any mages left that hadn't already been sent there.

It wasn't lost on her that Erwin had made the move as a political maneuver, done to spite Calent. And part of her wanted to ask why he hadn't done it months ago, if he believed it was wrong. How many people might have been ferreted out and sent away in that time? She didn't know. And she knew there would be no use in questioning his intentions now.

Olive swallowed, unsure what to say. This news had, truthfully, winded her. So she pat the bed, and immediately the little puppy scrambled onto her lap. She ruffled his ears, avoiding his sharp little teething puppy teeth as he tried to gnaw affectionately on her hand.

"You're right," she finally said, watching the puppy instead of Erwin. "Of course, if you want me to, I'll..." her tongue tripped on the words, personal pain mixing with the political conversation. Her mother judged the flowers. Her mother had always done it. Olive doing it meant, well, she'd seen the cold stone tomb. "Of course I'll serve as judge at the Spring Festival. If you think it's best."

Cambie

As the puppy darted away from him and leaped back up into Olive's lap, Erwin was left crouching down near the carpeted ground. There was a distinct change in her facial expression despite how much she tried to hide it. Neither he nor anyone else could undo the horrors she (and other mages) had endured in the camps, but this was a start.

And with her approval, his own features also visible softened, more out of relief than anything else. He gave her a brief nod before standing up again.

"Good, it's settled then," he said, the faintest hints of a smile curling at the corners of his mouth. He was glad she agreed. "And if you wish, you can judge the March beer too. I'm afraid for Lord Burrows' health if he takes the job. I doubt he can handle that much in his old age."

His eyes drifted toward the window. Though still desperately cold outside, the sun shone brightly in the sky with barely a cloud to obscure it. "The poor weather is starting to abate. If you're recovered enough from your wound, you should take some time to go out and enjoy it. I'm sure Bairn has been taking great care of your horse."

kleineklementine

"I probably know more about March beer than I do about flowers," Olive muttered, half to herself, petting the belly of the puppy who was now flopped onto his back. This conversation was so surreal, though. Judging flowers. Judging March beer. The Spring Festival. It was as though ghosts from her past were being reflected through distorted glass into her present: Familiar things like the Spring Festival, cast into the terrible reality: her parents couldn't do it. They were dead. That was the new reality.

But Erwin's next words caught her attention even more, and Olive looked abruptly up from the puppy at Erwin. "My horse?" she repeated, before the implications of what he was saying sunk in. Olive held his gaze for a moment, then leaned back against the bed, letting out a low exhale. There was a lot, in this brief conversation, to untangle. After a moment, she looked back at him again, frowning a little, "Does that mean I'm free to... leave? If I wanted to?"

Or was she still a prisoner, of some sort.

Cambie

Erwin wrinkled his brow at that question. It was a delicate thing.

"You must understand that I cannot just let you leave," he said, looking back to her. Unconsciously he folded his arms across his chest in thought, not realizing how it might look like a show of authority. "But neither am I restricting you to your room, or the East Wing, or wherever else. If you do wish to stretch your legs or ride to town, I'll have some guards accompanying you."

His jaw clenched a little and his frown deepened. "Guards that are loyal and won't turn on you."

Like the last one.

"But this castle is open to you, as it was open to you when you lived here."

kleineklementine

”Yes, I understand,” Olive answered quietly. She didn’t ask him why not, if she was supposedly ‘just Lady Carwick returned to Wulfbauer.’ Olive understood she would never really be just the returned Lady Carwick. Though she noticed he didn’t give a reason why she couldn’t leave - stating that she still had to be held accountable for Valance, or that by the very nature of her being escaped mage made her a criminal, or any of the number of reasons he might give. And she wondered if he had decided that she would stay simply because it was politically advantageous for him and, well, he could.

Olive let out  slow exhale through her nose, her new reality sinking in. A prisoner with some freedoms, but a prisoner none-the-less. Was it really so different than the life of any noble lady?

”Well, I might not test the loyalty of your guards just yet,” Olive finally said in an attempt at flat humor, experimentally trying to roll her injured shoulder a little. The motion caused shooting pain through the join, and she quickly stopped.

She let out another short sigh, brushing back her bangs again with her good arm. Not that they had fallen into her face; it was just a nervous habit. ”I am grateful that you’ve protected me, Erwin,” she said, not joking now, and using his given name for the first time. Not, she supposed, that it had really been done for her own benefit. But whatever his motives might be, he could just as easily had hanged her. As she, herself, had suggested. She continued, ”And I want my family’s money to still be used for Wulbauer. But,” she straightened up a little again, another tick, self-conscious of how bold her next words were, ”I want some say in how it’s spent. And what it’s used for.”

That, of course, was a privilege not usually reserved for reigning duchesses. Much less political prisoners. But Olive held her gaze levelly on Erwin. If Olive was going to be an indefinite 'guest' here, she couldn't just sit around and make appearances for Erwin, not if it was in her power to do more.

Cambie

"Clearly I haven't been doing a good job of it at all," he replied softly, gesturing to her bound arm. His own attempt at a little humor. "But I'm trying."

The Duke was just about to bid her farewell and head for the door, when her final request made him pause for a moment. He nodded once more.

"Of course. Lord Burrows will handle the details about your holdings," he replied. He could already see the glimmer of joy in Burrows' eyes once he delivered the new -- the man practically breathed money, after all. It was a wonder why they hadn't chosen him as Duke over Erwin's father. Just another part of the political process that he didn't quite understand.

"If you need anything else, Constance, do let me know."

kleineklementine

The weeks leading up to the Spring Festival passed much easier for Olive than the previous weeks in Wulfbauer Keep. Not just because she could move about the manor, but because she had something to do. With Erwin's 'blessing,' she'd taken the initiative to work with Lord Burrows on the management of the Carwick money. If Erwin had expected this to be a joyful event for the poor old money-counter, he'd been woefully incorrect. Lord Burrows had never imagined that not only would the Duke not talk the girl out of the money, but actually granted her license to use it! Unprecedented!

Constance had come nearly every day to go over some detail or the other with him. At first, she just wanted to gain a fuller understanding of just what the funds were and how they could be spent. But once she had that, she was full of ideas! Some were easier to get by Lord Burrows than others. He'd agreed to implement a relief fund that single mothers could apply to. Though they'd had quite the argument about whether Olive meant 'widows' (Lord Burrows was sure she must!) or if she meant mothers-of-children-without-fathers... including even the bastards of camp girls! But, as this was otherwise an appropriately ladylike cause, she'd eventually pushed it through. When she tried to talk to him about larger-scale issues like infrastructure improvements, Olive always hit a brick wall of, "Well, that's an issue for the Duke's council." The implied second-half of the sentence was, "And not for a young lady." But as confident as Olive was working with Lord Burrows on these things (or pestering Lord Burrows, to hear his side of the story), she was hesitant so far to bring up the issues with the duke. Somehow even she knew that telling the Duke himself what he should be doing with the duchy was pushing things a bit too far.

That didn't mean that Lord Burrows didn't tell Duke Therrien what he thought about the girl's heavy involvement in the management of the Carwick funds every chance he got! But in truth, Lord Burrows never complained as loudly as he might. Lady Constance, after all, had more patience for monetary details than the duke did. And while he would never admit it, even to himself, he enjoyed having someone to talk to whose attention lasted longer than thirty seconds.

But as the days drew closer to the Spring Festival, Constance felt increasingly anxious. Her thoughts straying from the details of business management to worrying about the Festival. Olive had never been so nervous on days leading up to guerrilla attacks when she was still free and fighting. But she had a growing list of worries about the Festival. Foremost, was the simple act of being shown in public when she represented the Hated Enemy of the War. It was stitched right there on her dress for all to see. What if Erwin was wrong? He'd been wrong about the guard. And even if no one tried to harm her directly, part of her still quelled to think of having all that negative attention cast onto her.

And beyond that... what would she say to people? Not the common people at the Festival; she was less worried about that, more used to interacting with them in the last years. But all the nobles who had known her as a girl. They'd be there, too. What would they say to her? What would they ask her? What would she say to them, if they asked... well, anything? It seemed like a stupid thing to worry about, but Olive couldn't push it out of her mind. She'd never been the most socially graceful noble lady as it was.

"Grace, I'm scared."

"You'll be fine." And here she was, the day of the Festival, listening to Grace's reassurances as she dressed her. "You can always focus your attention on children. That always looks very good for a lady, and children are sweeter than adults, anyway. Your mother was always very good at that."

Olive nodded numbly. Her mother, unlike her, had been the epitome of understated grace. Olive had always just been a mess. Now she was a mess, and a target, and even more of an oddity than she'd been five years ago. At least, she tried to tell herself, it was the Spring Festival, not a ball or anything so garish. There would be folk dances and contests and lots of things happening. It'd be over before she knew it.

"You might even enjoy yourself, Constance."

Olive bit her lip, peering into the mirror. Unlike for a proper ball, Olive wore a folk dress not unlike a dirndl. All the women, peasants to ladies, would be wearing something similar. And like all unmarried women, Grace was braiding spring flowers through Olive's hair. At least, she thought, it'd be easier to fit in. Stand out less. Still, Olive brushed her fingers over the embroidered sign of the Church. However artfully it had been sewn into the dress, there it was.

"I've never even been to a Festival unescorted. I always went with Caspian or Avery," she fretted. Olive was beyond embarrassed to even be thinking about these things. She'd never been so anxious about it as a teenager. And they seemed so trivial now, but she couldn't help it. If given the chance to swap places with a soldier going into battle, she'd do it in a heartbeat. "I asked Lord Burrows to take me," she added with a self-deprecating frown, "since his wife is too ill and his daughters are all married. But he said he spent far too much time with me as it is and was glad for the opportunity to be rid of me for a day."

Cambie

Grace seemed to also frown at that. "Oh that absolutely will not do!" It wasn't entire obvious whether she was concerned about Olive having nobody to watch over her -- or just the fact that having an unattended Lady broke so many unspoken protocols. Ansgar forbid that ever happened!

A knock coincidentally came at her closed door, which Grace opened to reveal the Duke himself.

Erwin was also dressed for the part, up to and including the crisp white shirt and the feathered felt cap upon his head. He hadn't planned on coming this way initially, but something compelled him to check up on Constance.

He too felt a little self-conscious about wearing such casual garb on this day, but the tickling in the pit of his stomach wasn't just nervousness. Truthfully, a part of him was actually looking forward to the Festival and to living at least a single carefree day away from the Dukeship. Not that he'd fully escaped his duties or even the constant pall of the war that still hung heavily over Wulfbauer. But there was a level of excitement in him, which he was careful not to show too freely especially when Grace bowed low to him.

"Everyone seems to be in good spirits," he said to the two of them. That made him feel especially good. The castle staff all had an extra perk in their step and the town had looked much livelier from his window that morning. Much of the army had been deployed to the border near Valance but many of them had been able to see their families at least briefly before they marched off. Those soldiers lucky enough to still be tasked with patrolling the city were in even better moods. Their loved ones were sure to be attending.

"Ready?"

"My Lord," Grace said with a disapproving frown, "Lady Carwick is lacking an escort for the festivities. Perhaps you can take on the task."

Erwin looked past Grace and raised his eyebrow slightly at Olive, the one woman in all of Wulfbauer who probably didn't need any escort. Was that even a thing still? He wondered what she was thinking at that moment. Probably annoyed above all else.

Regardless, Erwin nodded and shot her a brief smile. "I would be honored. The horses are being saddled as we speak."