Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Saaaaaanctuaryyyy! [Blue bby!]

Started by Rhindeer, July 25, 2012, 12:42:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue

Another, very pained, sigh escaped him.
"Yes, yes. Now go."
His tone didn't leave room for more dallying, and the man himself had already swept up the books into his arms and disappeared into the rows of shelves. He was already cursing this decision. Nothing good could honestly come of this. Nothing. It was a giant mess waiting to happen. He did not invite others over for a reason! He did not enjoy, nor want, company! Letting somebody into his abode was just as invasive as letting them touch him.
...well he supposed, THAT had already happened with this Kyran fellow.
He bristled at the memory. He'd have to make sure and set some ground rules. And perhaps make it quite clear that he wasn't to be trifled with - say, with the handy display of his bladed weapons. That should do the trick.

In any case, he really did just...want to teach this man how to read. To show him the wonder that was books and written words. True, Padca probably had a deeper affection for it than most, but if his new 'student' could glean even the slightest bit of enjoyment, it would be worth it.
Er.
He hoped it would be worth it.

The librarian was visibly confused by the situation that played out before him. There was a rough looking young man, wearing Professor Heis' overcloak. And he was checking out books about demons, under Professor Heis' name. He was also grinning like a fool, while said Professor Heis looked ready to murder something. His gaze was piercing behind his trim glasses.
"...Is something the matter?? Please attend to your job."
The librarian flinched. Yes, it was definitely better not to ask. Padca's sour disposition proceeded him.
"My apologies. How long a term, professor?"
Padca sighed, and glanced at his new charge.
"Start with a week. We'll see if any progress has been made by then."
"Of course. Thank you Professor Heis, and see you tomorrow."
The two bowed stiffly to one another, before Padca turned on his heel and began to stride out of the library - fully expectant that Kyran would follow along with books in tow.

Rhindeer

With Padca bustling away, Kyran adjusted the stack of books in his arms and headed for the front, as instructed. That must be where the librarian was; that seemed like the place they would be, and since Kyran had never used a library before (as he had no need to visit something he couldn't use!) he just had to go with his best guess.

And so, books balanced precariously in his arms, he went to the front and laid the stack on the table just as Padca approached them.

Probably a good thing he came when he did, too, because Kyran was happily looking the man over. Boy. Maybe he should come to the library more often, and maybe this whole learning how to read thing would be handy! There were apparently a lot of attractive people here!

As the librarian looked him over in confusion, Kyran just gave him an eyebrow waggle and a nod. "Hey there," he said with a grin, elbow resting on the table, right before Padca cut in.

Too bad they were leaving. But at least he was leaving with another attractive man! Heh. He hadn't even asked about that, actually. Where was Padca planning on taking him, exactly?

With business taken care of and Padca heading out the door, Kyran scooped the books back up and hurried after him. The stack was heavy, and Kyran didn't look all that strong, but he handled them like they were paper and not bulky volumes as he jogged to catch up with Padca before falling into a walk at his side.

"Oooh, so hey, you're done for the day? Nice! Where are we going now and is food on that list? 'Cause food would probably be pretty nice! I mean, technically I kinda already 'ate' but a little extra something couldn't hurt, either! Unless, of course..." He nudged Padca lightly in the ribs and gave him a wink. "...you'd be interested in feeding me. Eh? Eh?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Blue

Padca didn't really believe in or pray to gods, but at that moment he wished he did. He wanted to pray for the patience necessary to get through this without stabbing this man. Repeatedly. Deep breaths professor, you volunteered to do this, and at the very least you should attempt one lesson.
If it's hopeless, you can kick the vagabond out.
He steeled himself, but Kyran was grating on him already. How was it possible for one person to rub him the wrong way so much??

His face pinched at the nudge, and he shot his 'student' a dark look from behind those glasses.
"I was not done, no, but as I've endeavored to take on a student, I am leaving early. My work is essentially self paced as it is. Though this may have been a mistake for a number of reasons."
It was amazing his ability - to speak sharply and yet so elegantly. The sort of person who could politely insult you. Leading the way briskly through the streets, he was also incredibly adept and graceful at avoiding running into anyone.
"Since you appear to be an invalid, I will provide meals and clothing for a short while. Though I fully expect you to learn some skills and gain yourself a job. If you take advantage of my hospitality, I will return you to the streets without hesitation."
He abruptly stopped and turned, glaring somewhat up at Kyran.
"Do you understand me sir? I will help you, but if you are using it as an easy out, you will find no mercy from me."

"Professor Heis! Here for a nip of supper?"
It appeared Padca had not stopped randomly, for behind him was a stall, and in that stall stood a stout woman with chocolate skin and a kind face. Abruptly Padca turned to address her, a small but surprisingly genuine smile on his face.
"Good evening Mattie. Yes, though today I'll need enough for two, if you wouldn't mind."
'Mattie' gave a hoot of laughter and shook her head.
"No trouble at all darling!"
As she turned to prepare...well, something, as Padca and she seemed to be on a 'regular who orders the same thing' routine, Padca finally returned his attention to Kyran. He pointed up the street a ways, to an area that was known for being home to relatively well-off individuals. It was still in the residential areas, not some noble sector, but then Padca wouldn't have wanted to be around such people anyway. This was quiet enough, and his home was quaint.
"We'll be taking our meal to my home, and then I'll start you on your first lesson."

@Rhi-Rhi

Rhindeer

"Understood, sir!" Kyran said with a fanged grin to Padca's stern glare. If Padca's threat intimidated him, he didn't show it, and it certainly didn't seem to dampen his spirits. Getting to room and board with an attractive scholar was a happy surprise ending to this day. The book learning was just an extra hurdle, but he was sure it couldn't be that difficult.

It was just...memorizing words and stuff, right?

Whatever! They were getting real food now, so that was his number one priority! And whatever Mattie had back there, it sure smelled good; already his belly was rumbling, because as much as he'd love to live off it if he could, sex alone could not sustain him. Oh, it fed his incubus half, but the human half needed actual solid nutrients in his belly.

His number two priority was to be really, really damned impressed by just where Padca lived.

His jaw dropped.

"You live there?" Kyran said, eyes widening as he followed Padca's finger. "In those homes? The pretty homes?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Blue

Padca narrowed his eyes momentarily, for his new charge still seemed far too chipper. Well, he didn't know him well enough to say for sure, so in the end he decided to let it be and returned his attention to Mattie. She was nothing if not quick and efficient, the last of the cheaper food stalls before the high end residential district. Her food was simple, but of rather good quality, and he was a frequent customer on his way home from the libraries each evening.

Kyran's surprise at his house's location was probably to be expected, given the fact he was likely homeless. Anything seemed rather opulent compared to that, though Padca was well aware that he was considered at least somewhat 'upper class' due to his salary.
Arms now loaded with food, he passed by the gawking Kyran at a brisk gate.
"Yes. Mine is not particularly large, but it is more than enough for me."

It did not take them long to make it up the street, and a few moments later Padca was leading his impromptu room mate into his home. It was nicely made but modestly furnished, though most places were stuffed full of books and parchments. They spilled out of every bookshelf (of which there was one on seemingly every wall) and stacked precariously atop just about every surface, with a dusting of parchments and scrolls to add to the papery chaos.
Padca deposited the food, held in plain clay dishes, onto a blank space on the large kitchen table (the rest was taken over by, you guessed it, books).
"Let's eat before it becomes cold. I'll set a space for you in the study, but I'd like to get in at least one lesson before we lose all the natural light."

Rhindeer

Not particularly large, he said.

Lies, all of it!

Padca's home was certainly much larger than Kyran was used to--but he was used to holing up in cheap tavern rooms the size of broom closets. And the books! Books were everywhere! Had he read all of them? There were so many, he couldn't imagine that; it would surely take several lifetimes to get through them all! And it was that thought, and Padca's verbal reminder, that made him remember...right. He wasn't just here for pleasure.

He was going to be learning how to read that crap.

Him and his big mouth...

Taking up a seat at the table, Kyran had to stand back up and move some books out of the way when he sat on them. He added them to the stack on the table, and then sat again. His stomach growled; he hadn't had a truly worthwhile meal in ages! Sexual or physical.

"Have you read all that stuff?" he asked as he rubbed his hands together--and promptly dug on in, far too hungry to be polite about it!

Blue

Lips in a terse line, Padca decided he should at least be grateful Kyran had moved the books from his seat after the fact. They were not appropriate cushions, obviously. The one seat that was not habitually covered was his own, and so he sat easily enough. He blinked as his guest veritably attacked his meal, but bit back the urge to criticize. He was likely very hungry, given his situation. It couldn't really be held against him, at least not now. But he'd be adding some basic manners to the list of lessons, that was certain.

Starting his own meal with much less gusto, Padca managed a small snort at the question.
"This stuff is years worth of research on various topics. And yes I have read it all, if not wholly than in part, depending on my needs at the time. A great majority of it are my own translations of texts, or rather the drafts of them. Translating is no easy task, especially for particularly rare languages."
He blinked then. Why on earth was he explaining all this to Kyran? He likely didn't care at all! Bother. He did tend to get somewhat chatty when it came to his work.

@Rhi-Rhi

Rhindeer

But rather than be bored by Padca's explanation, Kyran actually paused in his ravished feeding and snapped a look up at him. His eyebrows were raised, eyes wide with interest, and dabbed a little sauce from the corner of his mouth with his fingers. He may have been eating like a starved thing (and he was starved!), but he had somehow managed to do it without spilling a single drop.

"You know different languages?" he asked, and then flashed a wide, fanged grin, dropping his guard completely. "Oooh, sexy! What languages do you know? Say something in another language!"