Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Well done on the overture but, fermata son FERMATA! [Toreh]

Started by Anonymous, July 20, 2010, 06:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Amkus was new to this oh what did they call this place Jadenshine. It was easy to see that the people lived on the mines of the stone jade a beautiful stone to say the least of it. Amkus saw a plaza that had some performers. I could use some coin maybe even see a few women. He jogged over to a fountain dropped his sword and bow, his whiskers glinted as he unlatched the bolts on his vitos case.

"What song shall we give them today beloved."

Amkus began a song of great valor painting a picture of infantrymen attacking the front lines. "The battle was dark and rough for our soldiers." Amkus told as a small group made a semi-circle around him. "But, on the hill above shone a great calvalry." Amkus played quick low notes to give the idea of a horse chargeing. " The dark forces had been pushed back into the woods and the forces of good would fallow them. But would it be thire doom." Amkus gave a wicked grin to a few small children. As he continoued the song it became soft and somber. "Our heroes did not know but a ambush lay in wait to strike." A screach from the vitos came and the crowd roared. Amkus could have had smoke comeing from that poor little thing if you didn't see him play.

Amkus stopped and played a sober song as he spoke. "Our... heroes fell there but the sacrifice they made saved many. Now ladies.... gentelmen. Do not fret for this has never happened this is all a tale of this bard's mind." The crowd cheered as he skipped around and played a lively jig. Ahh yes the cheers make this worth it for me!

Anonymous

Barlai had started his day like any other - woke up, broke his fast, and set up where he usually did. He had played well through the morning when a newcomer showed up. He was a bard, seemingly from out of town. He carried a vitos case, and had began to entertain those near him, which was in Barlai's earshot.

"What song shall we give them today beloved?"

Barlai smiled at the thought of another musician, and took a break to listen. The bard was very talented; he sang and enthused his audience while playing. The song was a dark tale at first, chronicling heroes charging the front lines, with no holds barred. As the song progressed, the anticipation mounted. But it soon slowed, and quieted. An ambush was immanent, and the unlucky warriors met their fate. A quiet sonata took the song to a close, in memory of those lost.

But the bard did not stop there. Consoling his audience, he gave them a jig to pick up their spirits. And Barlai laughed quietly. This guy was very good. He doubted he could top the performance. But he would try. He needed something to eat, of course. And he was trying to save up some money. Barlai hummed softly, a new song in mind.

He readied his instrument, and opened with a chord, to break the silence. Those near him, his most frequent listeners, new a song was close, and began to listen themselves. Barlai began, with strong chords and a quick pace. The fast-paced song was about a journey over the sea, and though Barlai had never seen the sea, he could imagine it. The notes flashed up and down the scale, his bow in tempo. But the notes began to deepen, and the beat slow. A storm was approaching. It nearer closer and closer, and then it was upon Barlai. His eyes closed and his bow flashing to and fro, he added high notes to the fray, the storm malevolent, the journey in danger. And as the storm caused more and more damage, the notes became a shriek of fear and destruction.

But the storm began to slowly abate. It weakened, a glimmer in the soprano tone. It slowly let off, and as the sun began to shine, the song returned to a normal octave, the notes slower, fuller, and safer. When Barlai opened his eyes again, he finished the song with a long flourish, a sound note to silence. He smiled, and noticed many of the other bard's listeners had stood to watch. He put down his violin, and noticed it for a moment. He thanked the gods that it wasn't wretched like his; Barlai's violin was still quiet clean, and unbroken. Then Barlai felt the wetness on his figure. It was raining.

Drizzling, actually. The downfall was a mix between fog and rain, a slow, thick vapor. Barlai wondered it he had done this. The song was about a storm and all. He shook his head. It couldn't have been. He wasn't a magician or anything. Dismissing these thoughts, he turned to the newcomer, interested in where he was from, and why he was here.

Anonymous

Amkus had taken a seat on the fountain he heard music comeing from a boy he was a few inches taller then himself it seemed. "Hmm intresting a musican been a while since I have seen one so young,well he has some talent."  The song seemed to be a original by the boy. The song gave the motion of a boat rocking. Amkus grabed his gear and made his way to the small crowd.

The song was becomeing forceful,as if each note was a push into the listener's ear. Amkus closed his eyes and began to sway, this song was enthralling as if a trance was being put over everyone. Amkus stirred when a light rain hit his skin. Strange I didn't think it would rain hmm is this fog what is going on? Oh Serendipity you'll always amaze me. When the song had ended ,and the crowd looked to get out of this rain.

Amkus made his way to the boy. " A wonderful piece  and wonderful to see such a young person working on music. I must ask did you write that yourself, or did you find it somewhere?"

Anonymous

The bard approached Barlai, apparently interested in his music.

" A wonderful piece and wonderful to see such a young person working on music. I must ask did you write that yourself, or did you find it somewhere?" he asked.

"I wrote it myself," Barlai replied, preening slightly. He didn't know how good it was - he just played what he felt was good. And for an outsider to praise him on his own work... It was a big step. But Barlai turned back to the fellow musician.

"Where are you from?" he asked. "Are you just passing through?"

Anonymous

Amkus smiled looking up at the boy. "I am from nowhere yet everywhere my good lad." He smiled with his smart comment. "No but really, I am Amkus Delgyth bard of tales grand and bountiful. I do not know as long as ears wish to hear tales of grand things and women show intrest in myself. Why do you play in the streets? With your skill you could tavel and bring wonder to people even I stand in ah by the enticeing pace of your music."

Amkus looked at the boy something wasn't right he seemed attached here something was holding him back from leaveing.

Anonymous

"Why do you play in the streets? With you skill you could travel and bring wonder to people; even I stand in awe by the enticing pace of your music." The bard looked curiously at Barlai. But Barlai just blushed, and stared at his feet for a moment.

"I'm no great musician, sir," he started. "I am Barlai Gira, homeless, poor. I play here every day to support myself. My mother is sick in a hospital nearby, but she is well without me." He shrugged. "I've always wanted to leave here, to see the world, but I have never had the chance..."

Anonymous

Amkus gave a light chuckle "Come along son, I'll buy you a meal. This rain will turn us both to a cold and I don't wish that on you." Amkus grabbed his gear and set off, if the boy fallowed he didn't know but Amkus spoke as he did. " If you wish to leave it is your choice. I'd stock pile I would say atleast a couple pouches of silver." He noded as he saw a pub an began to walk a little quicker. "Now where to go is up for debate."

Amkus opened the pub's door bring a harsh wind to enter the pub. "Oi lad shut the damn door." Amkus turned his head. "Hey I'll go where I wish,at what pace I wish. Come along Barlai warmth waits for you here." Amkus ushered the boy in and moved him to a  booth. "Ahh a pub's warmth is the best feeling ever eh?" Amkus laid his coat over the booth's head board.

Anonymous

"Come along son, I'll buy you a meal. This rain will turn us both to a cold and I don't wish that on you." The bard motioned for Barlai to follow, which he did. The drizzle was still coming down, a peaceful drum against the cobblestones. Barlai doubted they'd get cold anytime soon.

"If you wish to leave it is your choice. I'vd stock piled I would say at least a couple pouches of silver," Amkus added. Noticing a pub ahead, he noted, "now where to go is up for debate."

The bard opened the door, walking briskly in. Barlai quickly followed, the door clipping him in the heels. "Oi lad shut the damn door." Amkus turned his head, barely missing Barlai's smile. The bard faced a bellboy."Hey I'll go where I wish, at what pace I wish. Come along Barlai, warmth waits for you here." He pushed Barlai into a booth. Barlai had been here before - it was where he and his mom would celebrate his birthdays. There was sawdust on the floor, and the table was cut up from years of wear. As Barlai placed his violin case next to him, Amkus did likewise with his coat. "Ahh a pub's warmth is the best feeling ever eh?"

Barlai laughed. "Here we go. Can I interest you in anything?" he asked Amkus. "I've been here often. Here." He nodded at the bellboy, who came over, ready to get the pair something to drink. "I'd like a Firebrand and an Icebrand, please." He tipped the boy, who came back with their drinks promptly.

"Which one do you want?" he asked, turning back to Amkus. "They're oxymorons, I'll warn you. The Icebrand is the hottest thing here," he warned, pointing to the frozen mug, water condensing on the outside. "The Firebrand however," he continued, pointing at the steaming mug, the contents boiling and churning, "is ice-cold." He grinned.

Anonymous

" Strange names for a stranger place. Hmm they both look quite tastey." Amkus looked at both the mugs were seemed to be growing. " Eh, I'll match my spirits with a drink slide me over the Icebrand." He grabbed the mug it felt as if it was slightly stuck to his hand. Takeing a swig he sputtered and coughed. "That kicks like a mule!"

Yanking his hand of the cold mug he unrolled a slightly damp map of the world. "Now there are a few place I advise to stay your distance from. The mountains, high risk low reward so unless your into makeing people happy and loseing a little money that's the place to be.  Zantaric, the bandits will take your sword, a whore your bow and the local guard your insturment, Amkus coughed and sipped some more of the fire in a cup. "or so I've heard." Amkus looked for more black X's on the map. "Ohhh unmarked territory in general, it's just common sense. Only go if you need to travel. Umm just point in a place and I'll give you a break down of the pay the ale... the women." Amkus closed his eyes and masochist act of drinking this fire.

Anonymous

"Strange names for a stranger place." Amkus noted. Barlai laughed. He'd loved these as a kid. Well, when he was younger. As Amkus reacher for the Icebrand, his hand stuck to the mug, and Barlai smiled again. He himself took the Firebrand, the brew warming his hand. He'd never hurt himself on the rinks, unlike others. Neither had his mother. She was a healer, so when had some magic. Maybe he did too. His thoughts turned back to the drizzle, and his music.

Amkus spluttered at the hot drink, snapping Barlai back to reality. Laughing, he nudged the bard, saying, "Need some help there?" He sipped his own drink, the icy mixture tasting of frozen mint and snow. The chill was so cold it could be fire.

Amkus pulled out his personal map, old and damp from travel. Maybe years of wandering around the continent. He began to point out places that were unsafe. Such a roundabout way to go somewhere. Then Amkus turned to Barlai.

"Umm," he mused, "just point in a place and I'll give you a break down of the pay, the ale.... the women." He closed his eyes and trailed off. Amkus then tried another sip of his frozen drink, and Barlai laughed again.

"I would've thought you could handle something like this," Barlai quipped, grinning. Sipping his own drink, he took a look at the map. There was something in the west, along the coast. The print was hard to read, with water damage and smeared ink. Barlai leaned in to try to read it. "Niahi Woods?" he attempted.

Anonymous

"I've got it I've got it just a tad diffrent for my tastes, I'm a wine man myself." Amkus nodded as he was asked of the woods. "It's where most Sereians come from. Now it's a barbarians, orphan, and beast haven. If you wish for some light coin the orphanage is a wondeful place, the children are sweet things." Amkus chuckled as he remembered him fighting a barbarian and the mother of the orphanage stopped them and shooed of the man and brought the boy in, thinking aloud he muttered. " That must have been  two years ago hmm." Sipping the drink he wiggled but didn't make a smart remark. "So that makes pay low,women none,ale low, danger is higher but, it will make you feel alot better about yourself."

Anonymous

Barlai laughed. "Perfect. Money means nothing to me, and the kids are pretty cool. Actually, what of the sea? I've heard stories, but only just... And the islands?" He peered at the map, wondering of the danger. His childish mind turned to pirates and monsters lurking in shadow. Then reality set back in, and he turned from the map back to his new-found friend. "What about you? surely you must be off, somewhere important. And I must be a sidetrack..." Barlai trailed off, but smiled, unsure of Amkus' response.

Anonymous

"Son, I go where the people seem at thire lowest, or where the gold flows. I have time to waste and no one can tell me other wise." Amkus smiled as he continoued his rant. "The islands, personally I have only been to Yoreiq. The people are kind allthough skidish to new comers which isn't out of the norm for people, the lands is beautiful lush and tropical but dangrous to explore grand creatures and all." Amkus chuckled as he sipped the cooling drink. "If you find a ship headding out there I would say jump on and explore the world, you only have one life might as well use it."

Anonymous

Barlai laughed again. He was warming up to this guy. Blunt, rough around the edges, but Amkus was interesting, and knew his stuff. Barlai hoped he could get to know him better. Not in any weird way. He shook his head, clearing his thoughts. Pondering the situation, he turned to his friend. "I'm the young one here, I know naught where to go." He smiled at his plea. "If I may ask, I would like to accompany you on your travels. I cannot go alone, and you seem to know how to handle life." Barlai paused, choosing his next words. "Niahi Woods may not be your destination. But like you said, I should get up and travel the world. I cannot do that as a street performer. And so I plea." He laughed, the last words from a famous love song, from Jadenshine herself.

Anonymous

"Hmm I think I can take along a fellow musican. Three rules though, one if I am with a lady and we decide to go on a 'adventure' I'll pay for your room before we leave but do not try and fallow us I'll come back and find you." Amkus smirked and continued his rules. "Two, watch my back in a fight and I'll watch yours simple as that, Last never! I repeat never drink and a preform you will screw up and offend a custom or noble and you'll have us both in jail. If you see to it that you can fallow these rules then I see no reason you can't tag along. Heck because your new to exploreing I'll let you pick the first place we go to it doesn't matter the distance we will go there."

Anonymous

Barlai laughed. "You and your lady friends can revel alone. I'm not much in a fight, however. But I can try." He rolled his eyes. "I've never taken up a weapon, so I don't know what much I can do. But lastly, I don't drink, at least not yet, so that isn't a problem. I've seen my fair share of drunkards in jail." But his thoughts turned back to fighting. He had never been in a fight, not even a mugging or schoolyard brawl. Not that he had gone to school. He tried to explain his his fears to Amkus.

"But for the whole fighting bit... I don't know what to say. I mean, I have no experience at all with weapons. I'm no mage. And I can't throw up some fisticuffs." He stared at his feet for a moment. The map caught his eye, and he glanced back at it. "What if... we started by traveling to Adela? I'd think the pay could be good, and the women... admirable. But the ale could be too sharp for your taste." Barlai's eyes sparkled as he grinned. He took one last swig of his mug, draining the frozen brew.

Anonymous

They do make them innocent enough up here. Amkus rolled a few ideas around around. "What if I- no no that would take time we do not have. Hmm," Amkus scaled the boy over thin and average. "What if I worked with you on knife and short sword skills. You don't have to be the best just some common skills to keep you.... alive if we are headed off by bandits." Amkus nodding over that idea his cat like grin showed as he heard Adela. A place where every bad adventure tale could begin.

" Adela, Adela hmm never heard of it, is it some small encampment where we might get jumped and looted." Amkus chuckled as he gave the prospect some thought. "That sounds fine we can set of when ever you wish, if you have friends or a family member you'd wish to see before you left I understand but, I can not face who I seperate you from. Oooooor you can do the old Amkus just not be at home one day either way I need to see a smithy about something."

Anonymous

Barlai nodded in agreement. "A knife would be nice..." He grinned mischievously. A knife... That would be... interesting. He wasn't opposed to fighting, he just didn't know how. Amkus chuckled at the thought of Adela, sarcastically commenting on the city. He then asked Barlai if he needed to see any family. He shook his head. "My mother, my only family, knows I am off on my way. Now, if you need a smithy, you should follow up." Barlai waved to the bellboy, who came over to see their fare. Barlai paid his half, and got up to leave.

"I'm not going to support you much," he cautioned Amkus, grinning again. "You can pay your share. The smith'is just up a couple blocks, nothing special. He owes me for something anyhow, so I can break you a deal." Barlai motioned for the bard to follow, and made way towards the front door.

Anonymous

"Haha you are already getting in the bard swing of things. " Amkus dropped a pouch of silver on the table. "Keep whatever is left sir." Amkus grabbed his gear doing a mental check. Sword check, bow check and vitos check. He went to go catch up with his new traveling companion. "Well the reason why I need a smith is for you anyway. Oh a little tip for the road ahead never trust a merchant on the road, they will rob you blind.

Amkus fallowed the boy around the streets the cities beauty was great he wondered why a boy would want to leave this wasn't like the little town Amkus came from.Well it was not his right to question his actions only to help him leave and fallow his dream. He knew the feeling of wanting to leave and haveing to do it himself.

Anonymous

"Oh, a little tip for the road ahead: never trust a merchant on the road - they will rob you blind."

Barlai laughed. "You're a cautious one. That'll keep you alive. But sometimes trust is more necessary." As he navigated the now-busy streets, he tried to make small talk with Amkus, about his past, and future. The bard was eccentric, but a good soul. He could feel it somehow.  It was better than traveling with a coward of a thief. Even if he was obsessed with women. Barlai rolled his eyes at the thought.

He turned the corner, and saw the forge ahead. It was an open space, with a high roof, the smith's lodgings above. The forge itself was massive; it took up an entire wall of space, with a giant chimney, red hot coal, and smoke billowing from its iron maw. A small boy, younger than Barlai, was at one end, endlessly pumping bellows, to feet the burning giant. In an archetypical stance, the smith was hammering a longsword upon an anvil. The sharp clangs echoed about the corner as Barlai approached.

"Beorn!" he called above the noise, his clarion voice ringing in its own sense. He had never noticed the sound of his own voice. Maybe he could Amkus to teach him how to sing. He laughed. Beorn looked up from his task, wiping sweat off of his face and reddish beard, and smiled. "Barlai," he bellowed,"it's good ta' see ya' again." Putting down his tools, he picked up a sooted cloth on a cluttered table nearby, and wiped his face again. He was red haired, with medium length hair, and a short beard. He walked up to the counter were Barlai was resting his elbows, and took the lad's hand.

"It's been a while," he smiled, his hand engulfing Barlai's in a welcoming handshake. "I - we - can never thank you enough for what you did for Tark. Speaking of the devil... Son! Get yerself over here - it's Barlai." The boy pumping the bellows stopped, smiled, and ran over. "Barlai!" he exclaimed, "it's good to see you! Why are you here? For another song?" He couldn't contain his excitement, and ran around the counter to hug Barlai. Barlai blushed.

"Now there," Beorn cut in, pulling his son back. He ruffled his hair, and turned to Amkus. "Now who, pray tell, is this fellow? A friend of yours? I am Beorn, and this is my son Tark. If you be needing something smithed, I am your man." Beorn reachout out his hand to shake Amkus'. He smiled at the last bit, his pride obvious in his words. Turning back to Barlai, he added, "And remind me to get you something - I have something your mother wished for you upon your birthday."