Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

It's a Family Matter

Started by DragonSong, December 11, 2017, 09:57:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Cara sighed as she shut the door, deliberately not looking at either of her brothers. "No. I'll let them in eventually, just..." She sighed and ran a hand through her hair. Millie chirped and scrambled up to perch on her shoulder, tilting her head and eyeing her mistress with concern. "Not right now."

Another sigh, then she forced a smile and looked the man over. "Right then. What is it exactly that you're looking for?"

Wrathwyrm

So, it was a temporary hold, indeed, leaving them with a few minutes before he might try to speak up again.  Well, they would deal with that when it came about, or ignore him.  Whichever worked.  Now, the lady shopkeeper wished to know what exactly he was looking for.  He hadn't explained iin detail when he was here last, but since he was getting a bit more deeply involved here, there didn't seem to be anything wrong with a proper answer.

"Well, there's a dangerous creature lurking in Connlaoth, one that's pretty much using the Mordecai to its advantage, by making it harder for any magical foe to cross him and live.  The truth is, I don't care about the country.  I don't live there anymore, but my friend was injured by this thing.  Given that she taught me everything I know, that's grounds for a killing.  Or rather, a slaying."

He actually smirked at the last part, as it was all about to become more clear.

"The thing's a vampire, very strong, and I'm working to get a group of dangerous people to help me deal with it.  Meantime, I've been looking into finding a lesser vampire to figure out my approach, and any sort of other advantage I can find.  So, if you have something that'll definitely affect a vampire, or strengthen us, it would help out a great deal."

DragonSong

"Hm." Cara frowned and brushed passed him so she could make for the door in the back of her little shop. "I might have something... Come this way, then, I keep more...volatile products in the back." She beckoned for Sano to follow her, Millie wrapped peaceably around her neck for the moment.

Wrathwyrm

"Volitile as in poison, or volitile as in 'Boom'?"

A fair question.  Sano was no medicinal or potion expert, but he had a familiarity around them.  He knew that the same people who made really good medicine could also create poison and, in fact, things that light on fire and uhh...explode.  So, he followed - giving Cara her space - when he noticed...  Wait, that was a live animal around her neck?  Okay, that was unexpected...

Not the weirdest thing I've ever seen, but definitely new for me.

Gotta remember that Sano's an ex-Connlaothian, still learning about things in the world.

DragonSong

Cara smirked over her shoulder as she slipped into the back room. "Both."

She slid easily into the small space between a cluttered work table and a large display case that held a variety of softly glowing, smoking, or sparking jars and vials. Twitching two fingers at Sano in a "come here" gesture, she cocked a hip and tilted her head at him.

“So. You need a weapon of some kind. I’m afraid I’m not well versed in vampire lore- typically blessed objects work, right?" She frowned, thinking.

Wrathwyrm

"Some say", was Sano's reply, in reference to the question of blessed opposition.  He honestly hadn't heard much more than general information in regard to vampires, themselves.  This one...according to Keefe...had all the trappings of a dread warrior of darkness and viceral destruction.  Blessings would probably work on HIM.  However, the young man had to follow up on that.

"Here's the problem: I could use something with blessings - something of a light-in-the-darkness kind of thing - but I'd have to be careful around one of my friends.  She uses shadow power like I use metal, which is often and in great quantity.  If avoidable, I'd rather not have something go off that could hamper her, as well.  Or if I do, it's singular enough that it harms just the recipient, not the people around."

So, looking over the various bottles, continued.

"Now, what do we have here?  I can guarantee payment.  I have money, but if it's a little steep, I'd rather generate the funds than leave it behind, if it's effective."

He meant generate literally.  Sano did in magic what was taboo in alchemy: Producing gold, currency.  It was mind over matter, to change steel and iron to the luster of gold, taking probably a whole day to make a decent amount of the valuable stuff.  The more something is worth or the more powerful something was, the harder it could be.

DragonSong

"Hmm." Cara swayed slightly from side to side as she considered. "I'm not sure I really have anything like that in stock...I have a few enchantments for blessing weapons, or simply strengthening them, but..." She sighed and ran her hands through her hair. "Maybe I could make something? It would take a while though."

Wrathwyrm

"Something selective to a weapon would certainly help, especially me.  Lemme show you."

He pulled out a small piece of metal.  It sat there, in the palm of his hand...and then it became a dagger, then a steel rod, and then went back into becoming a ball.  And then, he made it levitate around a bit.  After that, he shoved it back into his pocket.

"If I can get something relatively small blessed...then suddenly change it to a lance, or something like that, it'll be sudden for him, unexpected.  And I can do worse than a lance."

It was just a thought.  He really didn't know how blessings worked, or if that much would help.  Hell, he didn't know how well aware the vampire would BE of such a power.  Still...it was something.

"What did you mean about something that you could make?"

DragonSong

Cara watched with interest, then flicked her eyes up to her face. "Well, I'm no priestess, so I can't really bless anything. But I can...tailor enchantments to fit certain needs. I'm actually quite good at it."

She shrugged. "I could try to come up with something that might give similar results to a proper blessing."

Wrathwyrm

"You could do that, if you can get something close.  Or..."

He snapped his fingers.

"Magic disruption!  We could-  Wait, no.  That's a terrible idea.  Half the group'll be using magic, at least, including me.  Hmmm..."

He needed to re-think this.  What were the most well-known weaknesses of a vampire?  Light, of course, and blessed power of any sort.  It was actually kind of unfortunate that Nashya had shadow power, with those in mind.  Can't complain, since she was good at it, but still..  Well, there was always fire, which favored explosions.  Lightning was already in their corner if Goldswith was still on board.  Hang on...

"Isn't pure silver kind of a weakness to vampires?  Serendipity's full of the stuff, you maybe enhance the power of a silver weapon, right?"

Might be something she could do.  Might not be.

Tags: