Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Are You Calling Me a Sinner? [M]

Started by DragonSong, October 09, 2023, 09:57:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Varyyn nodded slowly. He steepled his hands in front of his kith, brow slightly furrowed.

Every instinct was screaming at him to shut up—both to protect himself and Vaelin, but most importantly to protect Ilia.

But the weapons merchant had already proved he was unwilling to be safely shuffled off to the sidelines, and right now his lack of knowledge made him moreof a liability.

Of course, Varyyn could have always simply killed him. That was the obvious, easiest, and most practical solution.

But he couldn't do it. He told himself he'd keep it as an option in reserve, but...

"Dimension, realm, plane, yes." He nodded. "Something like that—it's called different things by different schools of thought on the matter. And yes, I've been there. I was born there, and lived most of my life there. Until Ilia."

wandering_giraffe

"Yes, and then you and Illia came here...but why? Who—-or what—-is after you, Ryn? Or..." Vaelin was slowly putting the pieces together.
"Ilia...you left because of Ilia...to protect her..."
And then Vaelin thought of the idle, rather foolish threat he had made against Varryn. In his own house. Against Ilia too. That was quite foolish of him to do. He realized that now. But it was too late. The damage had been done.

DragonSong

"Yes," Varyyn sighed, leaning forward over his knees and pressing fingertips to temples. "I left to protect Ilia. Or rather--I did, but I told myself I was leaving to spite my brother."

He laughed, the sound dry and sharp and not at all amused, and leaned back in the chair. "As to what is after me, after her...even that question does not quite encapsulate the situation. A more narrow answer may be given to the question: who is not after us."

wandering_giraffe

"What is not after 'us'?"
Vaelin wondered about that. He didn't know much about other dimensions, really. But he sure as hell knew everything about weapons.
"Can you not just take Ilia elsewhere? I could help...I could help smuggle both of you out. We could travel to the Kilanthro Mountains...I know of places in Le'raana where you could truly disappear." Vaelin uneasily shifted.
"Let me help you, Ryn. Please."

DragonSong

The demon lord shook his head slowly. "No. Connlaoth is still the safest place for us--so long as no one recognizes her own abilities. The people of this country are so paranoid about magic, they offer a shield of sorts."

Of course, demonic power couldn't be negated by a mordecai, but the mass fear of magic itself meant that most people in Ilia's life were overly wary of anything that seemed "unnatural", and it gave Varyyn an advantage.

wandering_giraffe

Vaelin shifted on the desk, finishing his cup of tea and setting the empty cup back on the tray.
"Why did you really come here, Varryn? To make sure I wasn't going to kill your daughter?"
His cunning eyes stared into Varryn's, searching for something.
"Or," he stood up from the desk, advancing towards Varryn.
"Did you come here to kill me? To finish what you started when you took my livelihood from me?"

DragonSong

Varryn's expression shuttered. Any emotion that might have been cracking through the mask was swallowed up into dark, cold eyes. He stayed seated as Vaelin approached, but one corner of his lips twitched to reveal a brief, warning flash of sharp teeth.

"It's been a long time," he said softly, expressionless. "The man I once knew never would have threatened Ilia's life. Though I suppose you might not be the same man."

He held Vaelin's stare. "I have no desire to kill you, Ser Blackthorn. Not unless you leave me no choice."

wandering_giraffe

Vaelin stopped, and sighed.
"I may not be the same man. I do promise that I won't harm your daughter. Or you.
I'm sorry, Ryn. I really am. I...I felt threatened. And I took it out on you."
Vaelin extended a hand towards Varryn.
"Can we start over? For Ilia? For us?" He asked softly.

DragonSong

Varyyn eyed his extended hand for a long moment, then looked up with a wryly arched brow.

"You do know the risks involved in making a deal with a demon, don't you?" It was difficult to tell from his tone if it was said in jest, or a true warning.