Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Fishing Ferryman (Open)

Started by Klezmer Gryphon, July 05, 2016, 07:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Klezmer Gryphon

Rays of sunlight filtered through the boughs and branches of the forest, a gently breeze slowly rocking the canopy of leaves that lined the wide river Ora. Springtime in the Serenian river lands was absolutely beautiful, a sight to behold. It was also ripe time for fishing.

If one followed the eastern riverbank upstream about fifty leagues north of Arca, they'd eventually come across Painu the ferryman's dock and his wattle and daub house next to the shore. The home wasn't a pretty structure, but it did it's job with its thatch roof and mud-covered walls. The dock was pretty standard, if a bit small; wood masts with a planked surface and some rope to tie down the otter-kin's raft with. There was nothing terribly fancy about the entire set up, but for someone alone in the woods, it was home.

It was about noon when Painu's last trip across the river for the morning had finished, with the riverdog's raft finally hitched to the moor with a knot that would impress even the most knowledgeable of sailors. Even though he still had provisions in the box on his raft, he preferred to leave those for any weary travelers who might happen by from the path later in the day, leaving the otter to pull his own food from the calm current under his feet... Not that he minded!

Twitching his whiskers, he disappeared into his home, reemerging a few minutes with a long piece of river cane in one paw and a basket in the other. Plopping down on dock, he pulled out of the basket a length of twine, a hook, and a cork bottle-stopper from his last bottle of mead. A few knots and cuts of the knife later, he had a serviceable fishing pole. While he could have easily dived down into the river and nabbed any old fish, he wasn't in any rush; if someone came by needing to cross the river, he's just take the fishing rod with him. For the moment, though, Painu just sat on the docks, humming an old sea shanty as his cork bobber idly rocked in the current, his tail thumping the beat.

Elector Count of WAAAGH!

Josef was whistling to himself as he treked through the forests. It was a really splendid day for exploration. Although most dwarves of his kind would grumble and complain about how everything was too bright, Josef loved it. It was Josef's job to map out the terrain of these foreign lands for his people, and although he had already noted down some of the routes around the forest, Josef he figured a little off road hike would do him some good.

It just so happen that Josef happened onto the little structure that one particular ottar called home. Well how odd, what is that peculiar looking structure doing on the docks? Josef thought to himself, that is until he heard humming. Ah, looks like there is sombody there, I wonder if he might know a thing or to of the lands.

Josef made his way towards the house. He rounded the corner and said "Hail!"

Klezmer Gryphon

Really, there was only one thing that made Painu happier than fishing; having company while fishing. Looking up from the waters as his line sat idle, the otter couldn't have been more delighted as he saw the dwarf rounding the corner of his house. Pulling the still empty line out of the river, the ferryman set down the pole and walked to the edge of the dock, waving the newcomer over to him.

"Good aft'noon t'ya! Ho' can I help y' today, matey?" Painu said, extending his paw towards the dwarf.

Elector Count of WAAAGH!

Most would be... well, most dwarves would scoff and then turn around or leave. Not Josef, but some fourm of instinct in him almost made him bring the sharp end of his crossbow down on the otterkin. But Josef at this point into the lands was use to seeing odd looking creatures and even more so those that could talk. At least this one's friendly.

"Good aftanoon ta ya to lad. I'm just making me way down this river until I happened onta...uh... this structura." Josef said as he took the otter's paws. "I don't suppose that ya live in this do ya?"

Klezmer Gryphon

The otterkin gave a quaint look at the dwarf when he asked about the house. Painu had met several dwarves before, and knew how they prided themselves on their mountain strongholds and their intricate carvings, but this fellow seemed like he had stayed a little too long in his stone vault.

"That...," he declared, pointing at his wattle and daub abode, "....is m' house. I'm a ferryman, not a bloody architect, as 'ee can probably tell. It mi' be just a bunch o' sticks an' mud to a mountain lubber like yourself, but it's home for this one. Keeps me stuff dry, and keeps them barmy bilge rats up the river out of me things."

Elector Count of WAAAGH!

"I beg your pardon, I didn't mean to offend. It's just I've never seen such a percular structure before." The dwarf said scratching his beard "But I suppose if it does the job it can't be all too shabby. Least it's better then what those wood elves have." Josef said that last part with a chuckle. "But I hope I wasen't interrupt your fishing session, can't go about if your hungry."

Klezmer Gryphon

Painu's gaze softened a little as he realized that he had been a little cross, and chuckled as he clapped the dwarf on the back. The mention of wood elves put a toothy grin across the otter's face.

"Them wood elves down the stream are wee bit o' tha crazy sort!" he exclaimed with a hearty laugh, "I remember one time I was helping a couple of 'em across th' river  'ere, and they just 'bout died o' shock when I cracked open a clam for me lunch!"

Elector Count of WAAAGH!

Josef snort as he shook his head. "Wood elves, he, can't even stomach proper meat."

Josef gazed down the river as he adjust the pack on his back. "I don't suppose this same river leads to anywhere particular?"