Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Cave and the Comforts [Open!]

Started by Camrie, December 24, 2016, 04:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Camrie

Flickering candlelight played temptuous shadows on stony walls, the wax lightheaded themselves held on wrought iron hooks that had been stabbed into the stone with an ease that came from great strength. The dancing illumination that came from the shifting flames made the entire space seem mystical and inviting. Scrolls and thick, battered tomes were spread about, their writing in a neat scrawl, written in a language that few understood. A few simple but elegant wooden chests boasted a moderate amount of odds and ends, baubles that to another might seem strange- trinkets, mechanisms, books- but to their owner, they were treasures. There were many of those here as well: shining jewelry and gems, gleaming coins; but they were less, and they were kept tucked into the edges of the vast cave for their own protection. Not all the light came from the candles, for in the center of the cavern, there roared a merry fire in a neat pit, roasting large strips of sweet smelling venison. The deer's hide was currently on a tanning rack outside the mouth of the cave. While the biting chill and snow of the mountains raged outside, none of the cold reached here, for the entrance was very long and twisting, and the wind was not smart enough to wind its way through the mini-maze. It was clear that whoever lived here had done so in comfort and gladness for a while. Out in the wilderness, between the trees and the flurry of the storm, just a bit of the inviting glow of the home could be seen from the lanterns in the tunnel, tantalizing creatures and tempting them near- but they had lived in these woods long enough to know that this cave's occupant was not one they wished to meet. There was a large raised platform on one side of the huge 'room', on which rested a considerable pile of soft hides and furs, cushioning the giant bed.

But the most impressive part of the beautiful, homely cave was its mistress. With the flickering firelight glittering off of cerulean scales, smoke from her nostrils curling lovingly around thick horns, the Dragoness reclined in a scaly circle around the cooking fire, muscled body relaxed and loose, mighty wings slack against her sides. Her sharply taloned hands were folded, one over the other, the one below keeping her place in the large book she was reading. Her orange, slit pupiled eyes were looking through simple spectacles perched on her nose- she wasn't old, in fact, she was quite young for a dragon; but the lettering was very small for such a humongous creature, and while her eyesight was sharp, it was nice to have a boost for reading. The mouthwatering scent of the roasting meat drifted throughout the cave, making her smile in satisfaction. She could roast the food in seconds, but there was nothing like the taste of slow simmered venison smoked in oak. (which she had pulled off the tree with her talons) her long, earring-ed ears twitched every so often, listening to the crackle of logs, the howl of wind in the distance, the rustle of pages being turned. Sarokain Athrendis was a woman who loved the comforts of home, and she strove to weave them into the fabric of her life with every hour. Sighing in contentment, the twenty foot dragoness stood, closing her book with a gentleness that was odd for such a monstrous beast. She set the tome on her bed of furs,  and pulled off her spectacles, restoring them to their place on the mahogany table near the chests. She reached a scaly hand to the fireplace, turning over some coals with her sharp, bone rending claws, not minding the heat at all. She watched the meat cook with contentment, licking her lips with a forked tongue.
"This should be a glorious feast,"
She remarked to herself, lying down so she was curled around the fire, back to the entrance of the cave. There were other dragons farther into the mountains, who formed a small colony. But she was on her own, a peaceful loner. This had been her home for three years now, and she had no intention of leaving. She had not had a vision in weeks, and she allowed herself to feel calm and relaxed in the welcoming atmosphere, confident she would not be disturbed in such a storm, so high in the mountains.

OOC: open to anyone and everyone!

Gawfy

Janne was no Stranger to the cold, He in fact welcomed it over scorching heat. He Had been wandering For a while he found himself at a face of a winding cave. As the snow turned to sleet and started getting more violent Janne Walked into the cave. Long and winding it seemed endless. Every step in is armor clanking and echoing through out. He stopped walking and sat down on the cold stone in what seemed to be the middle of this stone maze. He opened his Visor and took a deep breath. Smelling something burning his head perked up.

Camrie

The meat was tender when the touched it with a talon, testing its cooking with patient joy. Finding it just about perfect, she carefully lifted it from its perch on the rack, laying the strips out. She packed a few away for making jerky, and the rest she place on a stone pallet she used as a sort of plate. She leaned down to take a bite... And loud, noisy clangs rebounded and echoed the enclosed tunnels, ringing in her sensitive ears and making her stand upright, growling at being disturbed so close to her feast. A humanoid shape, clad in armor, took a seat on her floor as if he belonged there, lifting his visor like it was no big matter. Baring daggerlike fangs, she flared her wings, glaring at the man with fiery ire. Humans were such a loud, ungrateful species. Violent, demanding. Every dragon knew it was the height of danger to enter another drake's cave, and yet these foolish creatures skipped in like it was nothing. Most would have roasted the man then and there, but Sarokain was patient, peaceful, and wise enough to know that would be stupid and rash. She towered above him by leagues, and had to bend her neck low to get closer to his level, neck spine extended and threatening.
"Do you often barge into other's homes, stranger?"
She growled, clearly pissed.

Gawfy

GOOD HEAVENS! He shouted as he fell over startled.  He looked up to find an dragon bearing down on him. He then Stood up and Padded himself to get the dust off of his legs. No I don't, But this is the first time ive seen someone, or somthing live in a cave. He said to answer  the dragons question. Are you Keen on scaring people half to death? He asked in retort

Camrie

She curled her lip at his tone, snorting a puff of angry smoke from her nostrils. She rocked back until she was settled on her launches, wings peaked above her head as she exmined her intruder with furious scrutiny.
"Well, human, I do live in a cave. Which you have so rudely wandered into."
To his remark of scaring people to death, she only hissed. Gods alive, she had been hoping for a night of relaxing and enjoying her hard earned venison. Ears twitching, she inhaled his scent, cocking her head and leaning in until her massive head was inches from his, slit eyes looking him up and down. Finally, after a minute of brooding silence, she spoke, voice gruff with annoyance.
"Keen? No, though in this case a bit of fright might warn you off of such behaviour again. Other dragons are not as fogiving as I."
She pulled her head back up, after talking so close, teeth gleaming in the firelight. Angrily shaking her head, she reached a huge hand down for a strip of her tender, flavorful meat and tossing it into her maw, the juices flowing over her tongue. It brightened her mode just a little to taste the wonderful fruits of her labors. Sighing, she scratched her neck with her other hand, talons working under her chin.
"I take it the storm pushed you here? Or are you just without manners?"
She queried.

Gawfy

Janne took a minute to collect himself. I am sorry i trespassed onto your property, I will take heed in the Future.He sat back down with his back against the cave wall. Yes the storm did push me in here. i have no qualms against trudging through snow but it turned to sleet. He said as he brought his flask up to his lips.

Camrie

She raised one scaly eyebrow, watching the armored man with narrowed eyes. He appeared to have no interest in leaving, and while she still wished to be alone, she knew her guilt would not allow her to send him into the cruel grip of the mountain storm. She sighed again, this time in defeat.
"As infuriating as your arrival may be, I can't toss you back to the cold."
She said, sounding irked, but resigned. Sarokain glanced back at the man, and made a low grumble in her throat before reaching into the strips of venison and shearing off a small portion. The warm, beautifully cooked meat was flavorful and hearty, and it would put the spring back in any step. She threw the meat towards the man, letting it fall with a wet plop at his stretched feet.
"Eat this. And don't fret- it's only deer."
She rose to her feet, muscled body rippling with graceful strength as she moved to the raised bed, tugging off a bear hide and tossing it so it landed at his side.
"That will ward off what chill is left, if you've a mind to it."
She looked at him hard for a moment, then chuckled, which sounded in her bellowing throat like a snarling hiss.
"You know, were I like some of my kin, I would be eating you right now."

Gawfy

Janne watched as she threw the meat and hide at him. Thank you. He said as he started eating.
You could eat me, but it would be like eating candy with the wrapper still on. He said motioning to his armor with a full mouth. Besides i dont die so easy He then Held out his hands counting off one of his fingers with each listing, Ive been shot, stabbed, Burned, Frozen, impaled,Crushed stabbed more,Eaten,acid splashed on me. And thats the the start of the things ive survived  He said putting his hands down.

Camrie

She gave a flippant wave of her hand in the air, joking with a sharp toothed grin.
"That armor would be ribbons in mere moments, I'm afraid."
His accounting of his many hardships made her chuckle as she turned to her loot chests, digging out a large, bloodstained greatsword covered in chips and blackened patches. She held it up proudly, though there was an odd look in her eyes as she regarded the blade.
"This sword came mere fractions away from killing me. I am no maneater, luckily for you- but the cruel man who wielded this weapon... Well, let me say that I enjoyed tearing him to bits."
She looked back at him wryly, before settling the greatsword back into its perch. Next she withdrew a few broken arrows, displaying them in her hand for him to see.
"A few more of these, and I would have died long ago. You see, I have lived for a very long time. I have been attacked for no reason, often by fools who thought me a beast."
She shook her head, and let the arrows spill back into the chest. Her orange eyes reacted him with wary curiousity.
"It seems we all face hardships."

Gawfy

I dont consider them hardships. Janne said as he started eating again. You can only get stabbed so many times before you consider it a daily occurrence , My Armor doesn't help with it either. So ive read that dragons have spells of their own that they are born with, What might yours be? Breathing fire?

Camrie

She nodded somberly, accepting his statement with a considerative hum. Her orange eyes drifted over her cave, from her loot to her furs. She sighed and dropped another strip of venison into her mouth, glancing back at him when his question arose. She shrugged her massive shoulders, pensive.
"I can breathe fire, yes. My speech could be called an ability I suppose, for I have known many dragons who could speak only in the dragontongue. I personally consider my greatest magic to be my skill of reading fate's weave. Better known as seeing the future."
She said proudly, flexing her talons as she toyed with random trinkets from the chests, long pierced ears twitching. She looked at him curiously.
"And what of you? Do you dabble in magic, or are your abilities of a physical nature?"

Gawfy

Well im a Priest by trade Janne said Proudly So i know my way around miracles. Janne then motioned to his armor. This would be the main tool of my trade, It heals any wounds i might suffer but at the cost of increased pain sensitivity He then stood himself up.So when can you see the future?

Camrie

"It must be useful to heal yourself so readily."
She comments with a grin, thinking of all the times such a skill would have been nice to have. As to his question, she frowned, trying to think of how to word her answer. The fire crackles along with joyful noise, seeming impervious to the odd atmosphere of their exchange. She flexed her wings distractedly, looking up at the cave roof as she mulled it over.
"Sometimes when I choose, though often the visions take me at random moments. They don't always make sense, and can be quite vague. But there are moments I can force the sight upon myself. Why do you ask?"

Gawfy

Well i was wondering why a Future seeing Dragon would be surprised by a guest, but if you cant see them clearly then i guess it would be hard to see my coming. He said as he turned to her. I try not to use it too much, best not to put all of ones eggs in a single basket. So how old are you?

Camrie

"Ah, I see."
She said, nodding. She hadn't seen him coming, it was true. It had been a while since she had last been touched by a vision. She stood and walked slowly back to the fireplace, gathering a few logs from nearby. She set them into the weakening flames, and leaned down to blow a gentle mouthful of fire over the esemblet o ignite the new wood. Looking down on it, pleased with the results, she smiled, and looked back at him, no longer too upset at his arrival. He wouldn't be here forever, so she found that it didn't bother her as much as it did before.
"I am three-thousand, four hundred and sixty seven years old."
She chuckled wryly.

Gawfy

I see you have some years on me. Janne said jokingly. he watched as she set the wood ablaze. Feeling relatively safe Janne set the visor down on his helmet and started pulling upward to remove it. Sticking to his skin he pried it off with a tearing sound, but no blood or skin was shed reveling his youthful appearance. So what is it like being alive for three thousand years?He asked as he shook his hair.

Camrie

Sarok chuckled, scratching distractedly behind a long ear. Her slit eyes surveyed the man as his visor was removed with an awful sound like tearing parchment, but he seemed unharmed. She cocked her head just lsightly, but made no comment. It would be strange to make too many assumptions of him. His question made her sigh, for the answer was one she had contemplated a long time.
"It is long."
She said, staring into the dancing flames.
"People say that life is short, but when you have nothing but time on your hands, three thousand years is like eons. Even if someone lives centuries, often their existence is like throwing a pebble into a stream- there may be ripples at first, but the stream will really not be affected, and the water will return to the way it was. It takes bravery and commitment to make a mark on the world."

(OOC: sorry I took so long! I'm writing in my phone- I lost my tablet and I've been trying to find it XD)

Gawfy

Janne Rubbed his skin as he watched her cock her head. The armor sticks to my skin,Curse of some sort made by what i can only guess was a Sadistic demon. He then listened to her speak. So if you have been alive for that long you have had a front seat to every major human conflict no?Did you ever take part? He asked eagerly. 

Camrie

"A curse? Ah, sounds interesting. What is your line of work?"
She asked him, curious. His question, and his eagerness about the answer were a surprise. A wry grin formed on her lips, and she glanced at him with the corner of her eye, chuckling.
"Maybe," She assented. Then she admitted, "I in fact did a lot of fighting for a lot of different people, met a lot of monarchs and watched many fall. I was even a general in the army of Talcon, but that man will never show up in history books."
She smiled, raising an eyebrow.
"As it happens, you're lucky you walked into my cave rather than someone elses. I have always had a certain fondness for humans, though only a few earned my trust. I probably won't eat you."
She joked, laughing to herself.

Gawfy

Ill take "probably wont eat you" then!   He said with a chuckle. Im a Priest by trade, But i mostly do odd jobs at backwater villages. And on occasion im Doing a job for the church of Ansgar.  He said as he shook his head. Dont like it too much but it pays well. So what does a dragon who has lived for three thousand Years do for fun?