Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Spare a Room? {DragonSong}

Started by Celegwen, February 07, 2018, 07:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celegwen

Thera frowned, clenching and unclenching her jaw. "Your mother didn't send me, Lady Hartnet," Thera said in a forceful whisper. She glanced over her shoulder to make sure no one was listening. Call it a trick of the trade, but Thera's instincts around people were extremely good.

She folded her arms over her chest, her head shaking slowly.

The soldier took a breath. "I'll be honest. I don't care what your mom's superstitions are. I don't care if you listen or not because it isn't my job to care. It is my job to guard the man on your roof." She took a breath, pursing her lips. "I get it, okay? Powerful man with general good looks from a far off land; every girl's dream, right?"

As she turned to return to the table, Thera looked back at the girl. "He's not just a politician, Lily. Ambassador Declan Maddox could very well be more than you're ready for."

DragonSong

Lily knew she should listen to the woman. She really should. What she said made sense, and she knew she'd been getting a little too friendly with Declan- even before the kiss. And it wasn't like it would be such a big loss in the long run, right? After all, she'd hardly known the man a day, and he and his guard would be out of their lives once the weather cleared and their coach was fixed.

But she just couldn't stop a tiny part of her from holding onto the memory of that kiss. Granted, she was hardly experienced in this particular field, but that hadn't felt like a man just idling with a passing amusement, powerful but bored out here in the country. That had felt...

She didn't have words for that.

And there was another part of her, a part she normally tried to suppress but tonight just wouldn't be tamed, that raged against the way Thera spoke to her: like it was an order. Like she was a helpless little girl who couldn't make her own decisions, who didn't know how to look out for herself, who had to have someone protecting her all the time, hovering, making sure she took no missteps or wrong turns.

Well fuck that. Just for tonight, she couldn't silence the voice screaming against being tamed.

Lily drew herself up to her full height- not all that impressive on its own, but combined with snapping, steel gray eyes and her tightly drawn lips, she suddenly had a rather commanding presence. "I will keep your words in mind, Thera," she said coolly as the woman turned to leave. "But do not presume to speak to me as though I am a hapless, silly girl." I am more than a fainting flower. I have the power of a thunderstorm inside me, but no one can see... Her voice cracked out like lightning and she clenched her fists in her skirts.  "And in this house, you are in my domain, mistress mordecai. I'll thank you not to assume I have no power over what transpires under this roof."

She paused, then added, "I have no intention of harming your charge, Thera." Breathing a little more heavily than normal, Lily dipped into a polite half curtsy and turned on her heel. "Sleep well."

The second she was in her room she shut the door behind her and collapsed back against it, pressing a hand to her lips with wide eyes. What on earth had that been about?! She'd been so rude! She was never rude! And Thera- hells, the woman had probably just been trying to help, but gods she just got so angry, and...

She hated feeling helpless, feeling like this mad dalliance with Declan was just one more danger her poor, fragile heart wasn't strong enough to endure. She was stronger than any of them knew, she was...

She just didn't know how.

Celegwen

The small lady's outburst was genuinely shocking to the mordecai soldier. Thera held her composure, making it seem like she wasn't bothered in the slightest by Lily's attempt at controlling the situation. Lily was right in that Declan and Thera were guests, but she was wrong by saying Thera had no control. Wherever they were, the guard absolutely had some control when it came to the ambassador.

As soon as Lily walked away, Thera felt a strange dread build in her. She marched up the stairs opening the door to the roof. "What the fuck did you do?" She shouted, closing the door behind her.

Declan whipped around, brow raised at Thera's sudden appearance. "What?"

"Don't play coy!" She snapped, moving her hair out of her face. "I just ran into Lily. Maddox, what did you do?" He shrugged slightly, a smirked tugging at his lips. Thera dropped her head, pursing her lips. "What future will you offer her? Are you gonna abandon your duties to run off with a girl you met on vacation? You're a fucking ambassador from Serendipity, damn it! Act like one!"

She started for the door again and stopped. "And come inside! It's a storm, not a drizzle!"

With a huff, Declan started down the stairs after Thera. She walked into her room, closing the door behind her. Declan removed his robe, aware that he was only wearing pants at that point. Still, it was to make sure he lessened the water that fell onto the Hartnet's carpet. He started into his room, looking at the meal that was now cold on the desk.

It was late, and he was tired. His mind was in places others than science, so Declan started packing away his star charts. He locked the chest, then switched into dry pajamas. He blew out most of the candles and climbed into his large bed, staring at the ceiling with his mind swirling in so many places that he couldn't pick out an individual train of thought.

DragonSong

It took Lily forever to fall asleep. First it was the adrenaline, the soft shivers that still wracked her frame when she thought about her brief confrontation with Thera. Then it was her wet clothes- luckily Ayla must have been too busy cleaning up from dinner to attempt to assist getting her into a nightdress, but that still left the problem of how wet everything was.

She managed to get her gown hung from the canopy of her four-poster bed and herself changed and dried, climbing under the covers, before her mind returned to the kiss.

Oh, no. No no no, stop that. Just go to sleep, she reprimanded herself- uselessly, as the feeling of Declan's arms around her, pressing her against his chest while the storm raged around them, was suddenly all she could think about.

It took a very long time to get to sleep.

And unfortunatley her dreams were no more restful than her waking thoughts. As was often the case during s rainstorm, Lily's dreams were vivid and...strange. She dreamt of flying, of soaring through the black clouds as lightning sparked around her. She danced across the winds and her footsteps created thunder, and the lightning was suddenly in her, a part of her, pulsing through her veins to the beat of her heart.

She whimpered in her sleep and curled into a tight ball under the covers, brow furrowed. These dreams had haunted her since childhood, and she could never make sense of the strange combination of fear and loss they left her with when she woke. Even unconscious, it was as though she was preparing to face that strange grief.

Celegwen

For Declan, sleep was that old friend you were only able to see every so often. The moon pendant was imbued with a magic that helped soothe a restless mind, but magic fighting against magic could counter the spell the pendant held. He had given the necklace to Lily because of what her father told him of her night terrors. Whether the necklace would work for her or not, he didn't know. All he did know was that he overactive mind was not going to get any sleep that night.

He heard Thera's breathing in the room next to his; he heard owls calling outside; he heard the horses stirring in the unfamiliar stable. Declan even heard Lily's whimpering through what assumed was a chaotic dream.

His first instinct was to go to her, but he stopped himself. Kissing her on the roof was one of the most impulsive and inappropriate things he had ever done. If he was to enter her bad chamber for any reason other than to save her life... Well, it wouldn't be good for his reputation or his temporary living situation.

Declan decided to explore the house a bit more. It was a beautiful building, much homier than the embassy, so he wanted to absorb as much as he could.

He tied a dry robe around him, still leaving much of his chest exposed - that was a normal thing for him, even at the embassy - and walked out of his room. The parlor was warm, fire still lit to fight the cold, and he approached the piano. Pressing one of the keys very quietly, a small grin tugged at his lips.

Strolling over to one of the large bookshelves, he ran his fingers along the bindings, his eyes scanning the titles. Declan stopped at one, taking the book off the shelf and touching the title. The Storm's Dance. He opened the book and inhaled deeply with his eyes closed. The smell of an old book was one he could never get enough of. Deciding to waste the rest of the sleepless night away, Declan settled on a chair near the hearth and opened the book to read by the firelight.

DragonSong

Eventually, Lily's sleep evened out. The dreams remained, but she suddenly felt...more at peace. The fear and grief that normally accompanied her nights was replaced with calm.

For the first time in a long time, she slept through the night.

"Oh." Jorris pulled up short as he came into the parlor, rather taken aback to find the ambassador there at such an early hour. He recovered quickly though and gave a respectful nod in the elf's direction before moving to stoke the fire.

"Apologies, I didn't realize anyone else would be awake at this hour," he said softly, eyeing Declan sidelong. "I certainly didn't mean to disturb you."

Celegwen

At Jorris' entrance, Declan gave a kind smile. "No worries," he said. "You've hardly disturbed me. I tend to not sleep very much." He looked out the window at the barely lightening sky. Storms always made it a bit difficult to gauge the time correctly.

He closed the book, keeping his spot by not removing his finger from the page. He wasn't sure if he would go back to reading, but he didn't want to lose his place if he did.

"Jorris," Declan started, leaning forward with his elbows on his knees, "would you mind telling me a bit more about your sister's condition?" Again, he knew it wasn't a sickness, but Jorris seemed - in a way - closer to Lily than her parents were. Perhaps, the young lord would be able to clue the elf in on exactly what was going on under Lily's surface.

DragonSong

The Hartnet heir apparent stiffened, his whole body going tense and rigid. Then he blew out a heavy breath and forced his shoulders to relax, getting to his feet as he turned to face the ambassador.

He smiled a little ruefully. "Forgive me. It's...not something we talk about often. Even just among ourselves, it only really comes up when she has an attack- or Mother thinks she's going to." He sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose, eyes closed.

Rather suddenly, he strode across the room to perch on the edge of a chaise, leaning forward with his elbows on his knees and his hands clasped tightly together. He met Declan's gaze with hard blue eyes. "I- I won't deny that this makes me uncomfortable, Ser Maddox, but I think..." He huffed out a breath, screwed his face up, then continued, "I have long suspected that Lily's ailment...isn't entirely natural. Of course, if I really wanted to pursue that Mother and Father would just send her to a priest, or some quack doctor who claimed to be spiritual."

He paused, scowling at the rain that still pattered against the parlor windows. The storm had by no means passed, but it seemed to be lightening up, just a bit.

Another sigh and he looked back to Declan- and apparently changed the subject. "You saw the twins before, yes? How close they are, regardless of propriety or who may be watching?" His lips twitched up on one side, just a bit. "Lily and I are barely a year apart. When we were young...Mother used to say it was like she had two sets of twins. Me and Lily, Dorian and Jess. We were...very close." He looked away, biting at his lower lip. Then he seemed to realize what he was doing and straightened up slightly. "So. I was the first one who saw one of her attacks. I think I was seven, maybe six. We were playing in the gardens, she was climbing a tree, and she fell-"

He winced slightly at the memory. "She broke her arm. But- but the moment before she hit the ground, I saw her go rigid, her eyes rolled back- honestly, for a child, it was a little terrifying. I was too far away to catch her, and... I suppose it must have been a windy day, there was a great deal of leaves and dust and such blowing about, I couldn't quite see her." Jorris sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose again. "And then I got to her, and she wouldn't wake up. She was shaking, and sort of- sort of mumbling under her breath, and that windstorm was so strong- I ended up dragging her back to the house through it, which was no easy task."

He was silent for several long moments, then let out a long, tired breath. "Then the night terrors started. Almost that day, I think. And then her fits started happening more frequently- she was usually alone, we'd find her collapsed and shaking and-" He clenched his eyes shut and swallowed thickly. "Sometimes it would take as long as a day for her to wake."

Quite suddenly, he scowled down at his hands. "I don't pretend to be...knowledgeable on the subject..." He glanced around as though suddenly worried someone might be listening to their conversation. Then he leaned forward intently, eyes locked on Declan's. "This doesn't seem natural to me, Master Ambassador. I don't know why, or how, or-" He took a breath, seemed to be trying to compose himself. "Is it possible someone cursed my sister?"

Celegwen

While Jorris spoke, Declan's smile faded. He was listening to the information intently. The way Jorris spoke almost made it seem like he wanted someone to talk to. As he said, Lord and Lady Hartnet didn't really like to talk about it, so it was understandable a lot would fall onto the eldest child.

Declan realized that Jorris actually had a decent understanding of what was happening to Lily. It made sense, given that they're so close, but that meant the young man's loyalty could easily go either way.

At the mention of Lily being cursed, the elf gave another grin. "No, Jorris," he said. His voice was more relaxed than condescending because he knew what a sensitive topic it was. "Your sister isn't cursed, but I have a feeling you're right about her condition not being natural. I don't believe Lily is sick, but something is going on. Then again, I'm no physician."

He sat back in his seat, placing the book on the small table beside the chair. Once again, he leaned forward to mimic Jorris' position. It was a psychological tool he learned: copying someone's movements could make them trust you more because you seem like a similar person to them.

"Let me preface," he started, "nothing I say will necessarily pertain to Lily. I think aloud quite often, so this is just a safe space to speak any ideas; regardless of how taboo they may seem, okay?" He didn't wait for any acknowledgement before he continued. "Let's say, hypothetically, you discovered for a fact that your sister's condition wasn't 'natural.' What would you do?"

DragonSong

That was exactly what he'd been afraid of. It was one thing to suspect, to harbor a suspicion that was never voiced, but to hear it confirmed by a second party...

It made it suddenly more real.

Jorris gave a shuddering sigh and ran his hand distractedly through his hair. "I..." What would he do? "They'd take her to a priest," he mumbled, a half-answer. "They'd try to- to purify her or whatever nonsense-" He scowled, forcing himself to take a breath.

"I'd try to help her get better," he replied after several long moments, voice soft. "Whatever that meant. She- she's such a bright girl, ambassador. I know you haven't been here long, but you must have seen that, even a little. She deserves to be so much more than to be shut up here all her life, traveling to Reajh only if she's lucky." He dropped his eyes, hands clenched so tightly on his knees his knuckles had gone white. "I just want her to get better."

Celegwen

"Yes, I've noticed her potential," he said. "Forgive me if I'm speaking out of line, but I believe your parents are quite overprotective." He smiled lightly with a shrug. "Once my carriage is repaired and with your parents' permission of course, it would be my pleasure to have you, Lily, Dorian, and Jess accompany myself and Thera to Athervann Lake."

Well, that came or of nowhere. Declan had a habit of just talking and making it up as he went along, so he was sometimes just as surprised at what came out of his mouth as everyone else.

So, Declan decided to role with it.

"As I'm sure you know, some of the greatest artists gather there to converse and show off their works. I have a friend who's meeting me there in three days."

He didn't exactly want to take the Hartnets on a family trip, but letting Lily have a bit of an adventure would be worth it. Besides, he was pretty positive he would be able to slip away with her for a bit... It was a cultural-centered trip, plus it could loosen Lady Hartnet's tight grasp around her truly unfragile daughter.

DragonSong

Jorris blinked, his jaw dropping open a bit. Well that was...unexpected, to say the least.

"I- Well, we'd have to discuss it..." He cleared his throat as he trailed off and quickly fell back into the comforts of propriety, nodding politely with a small smile. "It may take some convincing, but I imagine it would be doable. Thank you very much for the invitation."

He hesitated another moment, then probed cautiously. "Do you think...will this, ah, help Lily?" God knew it would do the girl good to get out from under their mother's thumb for a while, but was there anything else the ambassador was planning?

He was, perhaps, overestimating just how much planning his guest had put into the invitation.

Lily woke to the sound of gradually lessening rain and a cautiously gray-bright sky. She blinked, looking from the window to her door, a little confused. Normally she was up by this time, but because nightmares would have woken her some hours ago and she wouldn't have been able to fall back to sleep.

It was strange to wake to the rhythm of her own body.

Celegwen

Declan chuckled, nodding lazily. "Of course it would be a discussion, but bringing the idea to the eldest son first seemed the more natural thing to do. Wouldn't want to bother our parents if you thought it inappropriate."

He leaned back in his chair, putting his right ankle on his left knee. Jorris' hesitation was to be expected, as the ambassador himself hadn't even given much - rather any - thought as to how proper the invitation was.

He took a deep breath. "I do believe it would do Lily some good to be out. Whether or not you take my word for it, fresh air is one of the best treatments. Stress and anxiety could very well be a major contributor to your sister's episodes. Relaxation among colors and music and nature could soothe the body and the soul."

DragonSong

Jorris nodded. That made sense. He would just have to convince his parents of it. "Well then, Ser Maddox, barring any unforeseen challenges I believe it would be a pleasure to accompany you and Thera." He nodded again with a small smile.

Rather bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, which was certainly not the norm, Lily managed to slip downstairs before the rest of her family seemed to be awake. Dressed in a simple walking gown and her sturdiest pair of shoes, she'd intended to go on a brief walk out in the gardens, now that the rain was lightening up. It was something she remembered loving doing as a child, but honestly hadn't had the energy for since she was maybe fifteen.

Voices in the parlor brought her up short and she paused, hovering. That sounded like Jorris, and...Declan? Should she just continue passed? Or make her presence known?

Celegwen

"In that case, it's been a pleasure speaking with you," Declan said, rising to his feet. "I'm going to get myself ready for the day."

He took hold of the book, running his fingers along the title of the book. The elf picked it the original place in which the book was sitting and tucked it onto the shelf. He bowed his head respectfully to Jorris before he left to dress himself for his walk with Lily.

Normally, his senses were extremely heightened. He would've easily heard Lily approaching the parlor, but his conversation with Jorris had taken his attention to a different level. Rounding the corner to go up the stairs, Declan felt his heart skip. He jerked backward in shock, breathing heavily and laughing nervously with one hand over his eyes.

"Jorris," Declan said, straightening himself and steadying his breathing, "your sister's awake." He threw Lily a small smirk, touching her cheek with one finger before making for the stairs.

DragonSong

"Oh!" Lily clapped a hand over her mouth as her own heart skipped a beat, then she smiled sheepishly and mouthed, Sorry, at Declan. His touch was strangely warm, warmer than she thought it should have been, and her heart seemed to beat in a suddenly syncopated rhythm as her stomach flipped, chest tightening.

She need to get a hold of herself.

With a small nod and a polite smile for Declan, she stepped out of his way as he made for the stairs and found herself suddenly facing her older brother.

Jorris looked...perturbed. But the expression was gone quickly as he looked her up and down with a small smile. "You're up early." The smile fell a bit and his brow furrowed as he continued, "Or...have you been up? Nightmares?"

Almost to her own surprise, Lily beamed and shook her head. "No," she chirped happily. "I mean...a littler, earlier in the night. But honestly I slept fine."

Jorris blinked, taken aback but pleased. "Oh! Well, that's...good." He glanced over her shoulder, and Lily turned to follow his gaze to Declan's retreating back. She frowned.

What on earth had she missed?

Celegwen

The elf walked into the room he was staying in, closing the door quietly and leaning against it. He wasn't exactly sure what he was thinking in inviting the Lily and her siblings on his trip, but it had just kind of fallen out of his lips. It wasn't like he could take it back! Even so, it might've been for the best. With Jorris and the twins there, Thera could get distracted. And Declan knew Lady Helena would love the company, as well as help to distract them.

Lily could use a break from her daily life, anyway.

Declan pulled out a simple outfit. Well, as simple as he brought with him. A pair of brown pants and a white shirt with sturdy boots should be fine for a walk in the early morning. He glanced at his journal, nervous about not having it with him. He put it in the large chest and locked it, putting the key in his pocket.

With his necklaces back on and a brown cloak he grabbed spur of the moment, the elf descended the stairs once again, careful not to wake Thera.

That didn't work. Thera had trained herself to wake when he did. No one knew how, but she did it. The elf ambassador had a habit of sneaking off, so she had to be able to jump into gear pretty quickly. She slipped on her belt with Necrolight on it and pressed her ear against the door to listen.

Declan floated silently down the stairs, stopping before making himself known to see if Jorris was speaking to his sister.

DragonSong

"He wants us to go with him?" Lily repeated what her brother had told her, eyes wide. "That's- do you know why?" She couldn't seem to help the hopeful little flip her stomach gave, no matter how she tried to smother it.

Jorris shrugged with a kind of helpless little laugh. "Honestly? I think he's bored." He tilted his head, his eyes suddenly sharp as he looked Lily up and down. "He was...very interested in you, though."

Her heart skipped a beat, but she kept her expression impassive. "Oh?"

"Mm." His eyes flickered over her face and she held very still, almost like a hunted animal hoping not to alert the dogs to her presence. She loved her brother, but this was one instance in which she didn't want him to read her as easily as he normally could.

Then Jorris let out a soft breath and moved to step passed her. He laid a hand on her shoulder for a moment. "Just...be careful, little sister. I'd hate to have to duel him for breaking your heart."

Lily stiffened, and offered the first excuse that came to mind: "He said he's engaged."

Jorris chuckled mirthlessly. "You know as well as I do how little that can mean." He gave her shoulder a soft squeeze, then moved off, probably heading to their father's study.

Lily waited a moment, then took a breath and turned to head back out into the main foyer. The sight of Declan on the stairs brought her up short, her eyes going very round. "Ser Maddox." She quickly dipped into a polite curtsy, eyes on the floor as her heart started to race almost guiltily. Which was ridiculous. What did she have to be guilty about?

Desperate for something innocuous to say, she murmured, "Thank you for the- your gift." Her fingers brushed against the necklace hidden beneath the collar of her dress. "I believe it worked quite well."

Celegwen

A smile tugged at Declan's lips, thinking about Jorris dueling him. The man knew how to handle a blade, but he didn't exactly enjoy doing it. No matter.

When she rounded the corner and dipped into a bow, he furrowed his brows. It was probably an ingrained formality that the girl was following, but it amused Declan. He didn't return the bow, instead nodding once at her appreciative comment about the necklace. "Glad to hear it," he said. "You appear quite lively this morning."

Glancing behind him to make sure Thera hadn't followed him down, the elf smirked. The ground was wet and muddy from the storm the night before, so an idea sprung to mind.

"It's quite messy outside, so perhaps you'd prefer going for a ride?" He asked quietly. "If I'm correct, Jackson will already be out there, so it may be a preferable option to getting your shoes and dress caked in mud."

In addition, it would allow for them to extend the distance or time they spent together. Walking could get quite tiresome, especially trudging through the muck in wet clothing, so Declan thought riding could be a pleasant alternative. Plus, something about the idea of seeing Lily atop one of his white horses made is heart light.

DragonSong

She positively beamed at the suggestion, though she did her best not to seem too over-eager. "That sounds wonderful," she replied quickly with an enthusiastic nod.

Well. So much for playing that off like a lady.

She glanced up the stairs, then back to Declan. "Should we go now, do you think? I don't suppose Mother and Father will c all everyone for breakfast for some time yet, it's still quite early."