Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Fete to Remember [open]

Started by Goldie, September 08, 2023, 04:56:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldie

LIGHTS

MOOOOORE LIGHTS

No. What. No that's not where the light should be.

"STOP!" Gregorian Byron Wissilworth VI shouted from the ceiling. His voice echoed through the great hall like that if a God and bounced around before fading. His staff stopped in their tracks and cranes their necks to look at him.

"Oh for goodness sake- NOT YOU!" he swept his hand at those who were busy setting up glasses and food for the guests that would be arriving shortly. "YOU!" He pointed towards the mages he kept on retainer.

"The light needs to be ON me, not AROUND me!" He pointed to his left and slowly drew a swirl in the air, "Like THIS. Thing should glitter across the gemstones, through the air, and when the music swells BAM! Spot on me." He shifted in his raised trapeze, holding onto ropes spun with silver and sitting on a crystal encrusted seat. Crytal encrusted on the bottom to be clear, otherwise it would snag on his perfectly tailored silk suit.

"AGAIN!"

The lights dimmed, the music from the orchestra started. Pizzicato echoing softly through the chamber while the soft lights from the mages twinkled through the air like stardust.

The music grew louder, the lights danced faster.

Louder.

Faster.

LOUDER!

FASTER!

BAM!

The timpani strike! The Lights!

Lord Wissilworth lit up like a Goddess. His own clothes were littered with gems to create swirls upon swirls of designs across every inch of his attire. A large, long, gold cape fluttered behind him as the trapeze began cirling the room (thanks to another group of staff controlling his descent) and as he circled the room he was gently lowered like a whirlpool onto the ocean floor.

"My esteemed guests, Lords and Ladies, welcome to....A FETE TO REMEMBER!" His voice was magnified thanks to the help of a magical artifact he wore on his hand. A fantastic little trinket that amplified sounds with a twist of the stone set on a simple silver band.

His bright gold boots touched the floor and he stood in one seamless movement, arms spread wide.

"Perfect!" He proclaimed, "Ohohohohoho this is peeerfect!" he squeeled, forgetting he was still amplified. He clapped his hands together with glee.

A small servant girl ran up with a glass of wine the moment he outstretched his hand. "Is this the vintage for tonight?" He asked before taking a sip. After she nodded, he took the smallest amount into his mouth and left it to marinate on his tongue.

Another staff was next to him with an empty glass which he took to spit the wine into. "Hmm....fruity with hints of tobacco and oak. Our mid-range bottles?" The servant nodded, "Save this for later in the evening. We must dazzle our guest with the finest when they arrive and still have their faculties." The servants bowed and scurried off.

"Constance!" He called for his butler. Constance was a woman in her 40s and that wasn't her actual name, but she was so consistent and constant he changed it, almost like a title for her rather than her name.

"M'lord," she bowed, briskly, "Everything is ready. The first of the carriages have been sighted on the drive."

"Wonderful. You are the light of my soul." He beamed.

"I am good at my job, m'lord."

"The food prepared?"

"Being plated as we speak and kept in the warmers."

"Wine?"

"Your selections are being arranged and bottles are displayed so guests know what to purchase if they want to take some home."

"The private quarters?"

"Ready for our guests. All linens have been meticulously cleaned and laid for...ahem....activities."

He bowed to her, so low, that his nose nearly touched the ground, "You shall receive a bonus for your hard work."

"I already make enough, M'Lord. But thank you."

"Nonsense! You can never make enough."

A paige ran up and whispered into Constance's ear.

"The first guests have arrived, M'Lord." She relayed.

"Aha! Then I must away! I mustn't ruin my grand entrance!" He twisted his ring, "TO YOUR STATIONS!"
A duck walked up to a lemonade stand.....

Rhindeer

Where there was excess and extravagance and nobles to swindle, there were Wolves.

Juniper was among the few tasked with this mission, and she had not come in unprepared. In the weeks leading up to the event, she had procured a servant's liveries and a guest list that she had pored over for specific names. Noble celebrations were always a good place to track down those with debts to pay, with all the noise and music and distractions and booze to serve as diversions. But not only that, they were a good place to refill some of the Soot Wolf coffers. Rufus would be pleased.

With everything going on, no one would notice a new servant girl among the ranks; why, they might just all assume she was freshly hired for the party. And by the time they started to ask questions and piece things together...the job would be done and she would be gone.

The only one she had to worry about was the damned Butler, Constance, if that was even her name. Juniper had watched her over in the days leading up to the fete as she cased the property, and she seemed to be the one truly in charge. Organized, knowledgeable, sharp. If anyone was likely to catch her, it would be that woman.

She would just have to give her a wide berth.

On the day of the event, Juniper found herself working with the serving staff, which was exactly what she wanted. She did her best to blend in; over the years she had trained as a spy, she had also learned all the ins and outs of etiquette and proper rich person behavior, and she tapped into that skill as she worked. It was chaotic and busy enough no one stopped to ask her questions, but it would also ensure she got to be close to the guests. And there was one guest in particular that was on the Soot Wolves' naughty list: a minor noble by the name of Selenius Nightcroft. He owed the Wolves a substantial debt (for what, she didn't know and didn't care) and it was her job to collect.

Easy.

And so it was that she bustled around the extravagant table in her fancy liveries, her dark violet hair clean for once since at an event this gaudy, letting her bright Serenian features show stood out less than trying to hide them. Because hoo boy, she had seen gaudy, but this was above and beyond. As she worked, she watched and listened, somehow keeping a straight face as Lord Wissilworth fussed over this and that. She would love to get close to him at some point, too, if she could pull it off; he would never notice a couple missing gems from that hideous suit of his.

She had just finished arranging one of the last centerpieces when the host himself gave the command: "TO YOUR STATIONS!"

Showtime.

Juniper bustled away with the other servants to stand at the ready--because things were about to get interesting.

And even if she had her reasons for being here, she had to admit, she would not have wanted to miss this. Seeing nobles make fools of themselves never got old, though on the flip side, the sparkle and gaudiness and excess somewhat reminded her of...

She stopped that thought in its tracks. Time to see if the hype was everything this Wissilworth guy made it sound like, because oh boy did he never shut up.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Goldie

Gregorian practically twirled his way back to the trapeze and sat with a golden boot extended and gem encrusted fingers delicately wrapped around the silver ropes. The mages knew their marks and the lights had already dimmed until just a few glittering lanterns set the ambiance. The entire hall looked like it had been doused in moonlight.

Like clockwork, his seat raised and he was deposited to the topmost area of the multi-story high hall, and he rested his feet on a scaffold built explicitly for tonight. He was known for his extravagance. He was known for his brilliant wines. He was known for his dazzle.

And the people came. Every party, they came. They brought gifts to garner favor. They purchased tables closest to the entertainment, or rented private rooms if they wished to be discrete. Gregorian made more these nights than he spent which was incredible to say the least.

The guests filled the hall - their chatter and excitement growing louder as the body count continued to increase. They came in masks, in jewels, in whatever they thought would fit the requirement of excess.

And then...

"M'lord, it is time." Constance's voice echoed in his ear - another brilliant contraption his mages provided.

"Then lights." He grinned as the entire hall fell into complete and utter darkness which caused a cry of alarm to rise until...a single spotlight illuminated him and sent rainbows of refracted light exploding on the walls and on their faces.

The music began. And he sang - his voice a fully trained tenor that sent gasps through his audience.

"Diaaaamonnnnds..."

The trapeze moved in a slowly descending circle and he kicked his feet playfully - sensually.

"Are a Looooord's best......friend." He whispered the last word which was the cue for the music to swell dramatically and the light to explode. The mages even added lights that looked like fireworks that rained down on his guests and he circled and descended like a glittering ball.

Once his feet landed he broke out into an intricate dance number that sent him spinning between men and women alike who fawned over him as he sang. The hired professionals played their part well, the Lords and Ladies were entranced by the production. He circled through them, as well as the dancers, and ran gloved fingers across their cheeks, their lips, their upper chests.

And then it was over. He held his final pose, breathing heavily as a resounding roar of a cheer raised to the heavens.

"Welcome to a Fete to Remember!!!" He bellowed and the rest of the lights rose, the spotlight disappeared, and the party began.

Rhindeer

This...was...

Kind of amazing.

Amazingly ridiculous.

And yet like a disaster that could only be observed and not avoided, Juniper watched the show, eyes transfixed as the famous Lord Wissilworth swung from the ceiling, shining like the diamonds he sang of. It was one of the most extravagant, gaudy, unnecessary shows of excess she had ever seen--and the people loved it, and they loved him! They ate it up and set upon him when he landed, and Juniper's eyebrows rose and lips twitched in disgust as they all but slobbered on him--and him on them! 

Oh gods. Was this going to turn into an orgy? It looked like the sort of thing to turn into an orgy.

Fae loved that stuff. So did certain Serenian nobility.

Ughhh...

Cheers erupted all around as the party began and, thank the spirits, it was time to get to work. She slipped off with the others to the kitchen to start helping bring hors d'oeuvres out to the floor, and as she worked she planned her escape. There was enough chaos about that it should be easy. She just needed a moment to break away, just long enough to cloak herself, and then she could begin--but not yet; not when someone would notice her not doing her job. Once the wine began to flow and the guests let down their guard, it would be time.

And so she busied herself with her tray of food, carrying it through the crowd. Spinach and cheese stuffed mushrooms? It sounded an odd combination to her, but they were getting snatched up fast--

Until someone bumped into her hard, and Juniper had a fleeting, resigned thought of just my luck as wine sloshed over her sleeve.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Goldie

Gregorian circled his massive halls with a jewel encrusted goblet in his hands that matched the energy of his pristine suit. Gloved hands, that were also covered in rings, lifted his guests' hands to kiss as he mingled. It did not do to make any single person or family feel slighted. Each person here was desired and he intended to let them all know it.

Servants were always within earshot to bring over another glass of wine that Rian could had personally to his guests making sure to describe in detail what they were about to consume. He was a businessman after all, and within the first hour he had already sold enough cases to cover the costs of the events and even give the extra hired help a bonus at the end of the night.

He was never stingy. It was why so many wanted to work for him just as eagerly as the nobility wanted to attend.

Rian was listening intently to a guest discussing her deep adoration for a suitor who did not need to notice her when he saw a servant with the most stunning color of hair bustle past him. He was instantly distracted, but couldn't let this lovely girl know it.

"Ah, my dear, it seems you need to entice this man." He leaned forward and whispered, "Lower you neckline, stand taller, make him see what he's missing." And then a boisterous laugh, "And who knows! Perhaps you'll end up in one of the rooms over there before the night is done! Invite me to the wedding, darling!"

And then he was off skipping to find that amazing hair.

Aha! There!

"Constance!" he summoned his butler just as he reached out to loop his arm around the girl and twirl her around to face her, "This! This is what I've been trying to duplicate!" he pulled his head closer to the girl's so her hair was touching his, "See? See? The mages cannot duplicate this! You, my lovely beautiful specimen," he grinned down at her, "Is this natural or purchased?"

Oh! "Might you sit for a portrait so I can remember this exact shade? I'll triple your wages for the night! Oh do, please, say yes!"

Rhindeer

Annoyed, Juniper grit her teeth and darted a look around for a clean escape. The wine had stained not only her sleeve but somehow managed to slosh down her side, which was not helping matters when the goal was discretion. The last thing she wanted was to get called out and told to change—because, of course, she didn't have a spare set of liveries hanging around. Worse yet, she had found Selenius Nightcroft and had been busy tracking him for the last hour, always keeping him in eyesight as she worked. Currently, he was across the room flirting with some simpering idiot and she did not want to lose him.

If he went off with her into one of those rooms, she needed to know which one. If she lost him now, it would make her job so much more annoying.

Stepping to the side, she snatched a cloth napkin from a basket of them and started rubbing uselessly at the purple splotch, watching Selenius Nightcroft as she did. He was making some progress, it seemed, sharing wine with the lady and—

Constance!

Oh.

Oh for the love of—

An arm looped around her and she went stiff as a board as she was twirled around to come eye to eye with the host himself. It was a little surprising; she had only seen him from a distance and he had such a large presence and yet he was barely taller than her. Her eyes widened, for a second worrying the jig was up, but then his head was leaning against hers and...what??

Beautiful specimen? Natural or purchased? Juniper blinked, her mind going blank for a second as she tried to process exactly what on earth was happening. Was he...? Uh. Her...her hair?

Sit for a portrait?!

"What."

Oh. Oh no. Oh my gods, no.

There were few times in her life where Juniper could recall feeling true terror—partially because her memory was a mess, sure, but that was beside the point. Few things phased her. She had earned a reputation as being cold and emotionless and she wore it like a badge of honor. And yet his words sank into her heart like an icy blade, her mind stuttering for a moment into a strange sort of panic. She felt exposed and worse—he wanted her face, the face of a Soot Wolf spy, immortalized as a painting.

It would be rude to say no. It would be beyond stupid to say yes.

Fortunately, she knew how to play her part. She was a lowly servant, after all, and after a moment she managed to jumpstart her brain. 

"My lord," she gasped, stepping back from him to fall into a curtsey, channeling her persona as she peered up at him with starstruck awe. "I am honored. But I shouldn't! It would hardly be fair to the other girls if I ran remiss of my duties!"

Goldie

He waived his hand at her, "Oh hush hush now, hush, shh. You're new, aren't you? She's new isn't she?" He glanced at Constance who was peering very intently at the violet haired serving girl.

"It would appear so..." she said slowly, eyes calculating; shrewd.

"You should accept, girl." She said in a manner that wasn't exactly cold, but wasn't warm and inviting either, "Three times your wages isn't often given, especially when this house already pays each of you five gold for the entire evening. Unheard of in your line of work, truly."

Rian raised an eyebrow at his butler. Five gold was certainly not the going wage. It was, in fact, far more generous than even he was.

Interesting.

Who was this beauty, then?

"A side room is available, yes?" He kept his glee clearly written on his features, "And grab the mages! While the artist works, we can have them try to duplicate now that they don't have an excuse. Come, darling! It won't be long! No one will miss you!"

He looped his elbow around hers and began steering her off to the side.

Rhindeer

Juniper tilted her head down shyly and fidgeted with her hands as the butler scrutinized her, nodding at Lord Wissilworth's question as her cheeks warmed. It was the heat of pure frustration, but it worked for the "new and flustered" vibe she was going for.

Oh. This was bad.

Juniper had seen the look in Constance's eyes. She wasn't a stupid woman; it was only a matter of time before she figured it out, and how quickly she got to the inevitable conclusion depended entirely on how busy this event kept her. Didn't she have other things to do?! Surely she wasn't going to stay glued to the lord's side the entire time!

Because the woman had backed her into a corner—whether she was aware of it or not was the question. Whatever the case, there was just no way that Abigail Cross, shy and starstruck serving girl, would turn down the offer twice. The first time could be passed off as being cluelessly humble, the second was just insanity. She may as well scream HELLO I'M A SPY at the top of her lungs.

She had just begun to stutter out her assent when Lord Wissilworth made the decision for her. Gasping, she stumbled along with him and had time only to throw one final, desperate glance behind her to see Lord Nightcroft leading his chosen lady away.

Worst. Night. Ever.

"My lord!" she said as she kept up with the man, dread sinking in. Mages. Artists. There was going to be an entire audience? "Thank you so much for this opportunity, though I'm hardly worthy! I'm sorry if I sounded ungrateful, I'm just...this is just a lot, my lord. I hardly know what to do with myself!"

And she peered up at him through her lashes, then quickly looked away. "This feels like a dream."

Of the nightmare variety.

Goldie

"This way, please." Constance took the lead while Rian kept his arm linked with the servant girl's. The entire walk he could feel the hesitation in the way she moved and he calmly patted her hand in an attempt to assuage her concerns.

"Don't worry, dear." He cooed, "There will be plenty of people present, and I swear upon my life nothing untoward occurs under my roof without prior consent. Even our private rooms require proper paperwork to ensure nothing like that ever happens here. You're safe, I promise you as your host."

He kept peering at her hair, dreaming of what it would look like to have it mirrored in his own. And maybe even in his clothing! Ugh, it was the single most perfect thing he had ever seen in his life.

"I am sooooo grateful. BEYOND grateful, you took this job uh...er..." he looked at Constance who merely shook her head. Concerning. Constance always knew their names. "What's your name, dearest?"

Rhindeer

"Abigail," Juniper said, and offered a shy smile at him, pointedly avoiding Constance's gaze. "But, um...you can call me Abby, m'lord, if it pleases you?"

Didn't that bitch have anything better to do? Like run the event or something?! Her mind raced, running through her options. There had to be a way to get her to piss off.

At least Lord Wissilworth was oblivious, misinterpreting her hesitation, and she leaned into it, letting out a loud sigh of relief that had her melting against him. "Thank you, m'lord, that does make me feel better. The other House I worked for—I dare not speak the name—they...well..." There was a note of sadness as she looked away. "I'm sure you know how some lords are."

And then she twitched, as though realizing what a downer that was, and peered up at him apologetically. "Ah, never mind that! May I ask what this is all about, though? Is it...is this really just about my hair? I never thought it was anything special."

Goldie

"Oh staaaawwwp." He patted her hand again, "No more yes m'lords or if it pleases you m'lords. You are magnificent and shouldn't bow to anyone tonight!"

An idea! At last!!

"CONSTANCE!" He shouted, forgetting the woman was standing right beside him. To her credit, she didn't even flinch, "oh, um, sorry. Terribly excited! This young Abigail will be our Lady of the Evening!"

Constance blinked, looking properly shocked for the first time in a long while, and she had worked for Gregorian for almost a decade at this point.

"My...Lord? I don't think-"

"Nonsense! I have chosen! I've chosen servants before and oooooh, you are going to do just fine after tonight! Just fine indeed!" He patted Abigail's cheek gently like a doting uncle to an extra special niece.

Rhindeer

...Lady...of the...Eve...ning...?

Oh...

...Oh no...

Constance and Juniper had more in common than they might ever know. Neither shocked easily, yet both had been given a genuine one now by the same damnable man. Juniper stared, the blood draining from her already pale face. There was a reason she worked as a Shadow Wolf aside from the fact that her skill set was suitable for it: she liked to be alone, doing her own thing, and didn't play well with others. But more importantly, she avoided the spotlight like it burned her.

And here Wissilworth had catapulted her right into it.

Her stomach did a nauseated flip. Oh no. 

Forget Selenius Nightcroft. The mission had changed. 

Now she was focused entirely on survival

Realizing she was staring, Juniper quickly channeled it into awe, pressing a hand to her mouth. Emoting didn't come naturally to her; she had learned most of it from watching and mimicking.

"Lady of the Evening? Me?" she squeaked, blinking up at Gregorian he pat her cheek. "O-oh...oh my gosh, I...thank you! Thank you so much! But—but I'm hardly dressed for it, and what do I do? I've never—oh jeez," she breathed. "I just work the kitchen—I don't even know how to dance!"

SHIT

Goldie

"Constance, get the crown! You!" He grabbed the hand of a passing servant who just happened to work full time in the house, "A silk gown please, something to accent this exquisite head of hair and stunning features!"

Constance balked, mouth opening and closing like a fish out of water, "M...My Lord!" She hissed trying to regain her composure, "My Lord if you would just speak with me a for a momen-"

"And where is Selenius? Damn fool has been avoiding me all night. It's like he knows he owes me...do you think he brought it? It would look so perfect on our newly crowned Lady of the Evening." He glanced at Abigail. Sweet, sweet Abby. His Abby, "To borrow, of course. The gown and crown are yours as will be the usual rewards befitting tonight's Lady."

Rhindeer

Selenius?

It took great restraint not to perk up like a dog who had heard the word "treat." Selenius? The man owed Wissilworth, too?

Well, that was interesting.

And if Wissilworth needed Selenius for...whatever reason it was, there was a good chance this mission wasn't a complete bust. This still changed things significantly; Juniper hadn't yet figured out how she was supposed to break away for a private moment when she was now the Lady of the fucking Evening, but if she was at least in the same room with the man...

She really only needed a second to get close to him. 

The panic ebbed a little, her expression zoning out as her mind raced, at least until Wissilworth spoke her "name" and snapped her back to the present. Focus, Juniper. Right now she was Abby and this was the best day of her life or something, ugh, and meanwhile that Constance bitch protested just a bit too much.

Juniper beamed up at Wissilworth, sticking close to him as though afraid to leave his side with so much happening—and just so happened to put herself between he and Constance. Do not let her get close. "Wait, I get to keep them?" she said, wide-eyed with realization. "And...and there's more? Sir, may I ask what I'm to do? I've never been part of anything like this, what...what if I mess up?"

Goldie

"My Lord." Constance stepped closer and touched his shoulder gently, very clearly and opening overstepping boundaries but the fact that it was her spoke volumes to the urgency of the situation, "My Lord, please. A word."

Rian sighed heavily and pressed his fingers against the bridge of his nose. He felt like he should be putting her in her place, but...it was Constance. It was the one person in his life he truly trusted with...well...everything.

"Ok, fine. But after we get her sorted, yes? At least after we get the artist and mages to duplicate her colorings." Then he turned back to Abby and grinned broadly.

"Oh yes, you'll get to keep everything. The gown, most of the jewels - except the one I need to get off old stingy Selenius - the crown, and a bag of 50 gold embroidered with your name to commemorate the evening." His smiles grew.

"As for what you're expected to do?" He pointed to an elaborate throne in the middle of the dance floor, "Rule. My dear. You will rule."

Rhindeer

...That didn't sound so terrible.

Juniper took a deep breath in through her nose. The more Wissilworth spoke, the more her horror eased. Looking at this objectively, from a place of logic rather than panic, this wasn't a bad deal. 50 gold? Jewels? A crown? A dress that could probably be sold off for a pretty penny? She would be making more money sitting around looking pretty than she would doing legit work

And all she had to do was...rule?

Well, assuming Constance didn't spoil everything, which she was well track to doing.

Constance had gotten in close and Juniper quickly moved again, skirting around Wissilworth so she was conveniently between the two again. She was going to talk to him. Once she was seated, the woman was going to swoop in and ruin everything. She knew. There was no way she didn't—this was exactly what she had been hoping wouldn't happen because she knew the woman ran a tight ship! Of course her fingers were in all the pies. 

"It all sounds so magical..." Juniper—or rather, Abby—sighed, looking toward the throne. "I still can't believe this is real...oh! Sir!" 

She gazed at the ground as though debating her words, biting her lip. "I just thought...if there's a Lady of the Evening, is there also a Lord?" And then she peered up at him, a slight flush coloring her cheeks.

"Is it you?"

Goldie

Rian simply guffawed at Abby's question until his side hurt and tears welled in his eyes. It was too rich! Too funny! Oh this lovely little thing was so green it filled him with immense and all encompassing glee.

"Oh, My Lady," he addressed her already by the title of which she would soon assume, "Oh My Lady, no. I am the host! I rule my own little kingdom every day and these nights I get to pass the torch so to speak. No, there is no Lord of the Evening. Lords get to be lords every day. BUT NOT THIS NIGHT! This night they must obey YOU!"

He took her hand and spun her deftly as if she were already in a gorgeous ballgown with her absolutely perfect amazing spectacular hair pinned up and encrusted in pearls.

"Constance, are the other servants fetching her things?"

For the first time in her entire career, Constance balked and stuttered, "Oh, uh, no. I'm sorry my lord. I...I'll make sure they're collected right now." She knew she had lost this fight, at least for now.

"Terrific! The teal room, please!" And then he opened the door to a side room with a key he wore around his neck and whisked Abby into the room. It was aptly named the Teal room, too. Every piece of fabric and paint was accented by a rich, beautiful blue-green and interlaced with silver.

Rhindeer

"O-obey me?" Juniper repeated, and cut off with a squeal when he twirled her, the sound not entirely faked as he caught her off guard. Another time, and it would have been an easy recovery; she was naturally quick and graceful on her feet and unlike the character she played, she knew how to dance. But dumb Abby was a klutz, so she let herself stumble like she had two left feet and truly didn't know what she was doing.

Breathless, she wobbled as though dizzy. Deep inside, she was intensely curious: what did he mean, exactly, by obey? Because Juniper did quite like the sound of that. Too bad the character she chose to play would probably definitely use that power responsibly and modestly.

Probably. Hmm.

Soon they were off to the Teal Room, which turned out to be very literal. Because of course it was. Whisked into the room, she looked around at all the lavish decor. The guy really liked teal, huh?

"Oh, it's so beautiful," she breathed, taking subtle stock of the items in said room. "Wow! I thought it was just a name, but it really is just...all teal! Are we doing the painting here? Oh! Am I going to be wearing this for it?" she asked, looking down at her plain uniform. "Or...all the fancy things?"

She desperately wanted to ask about Selenius and the thing he owed Wissilworth. But how on earth could she do that without being too bloody obvious about it? Instead, she had been waiting and hoping he would bring the subject up again. Still, the fact that Wissilworth had mentioned that at all gave her a little shining spark of hope: maybe this mission wasn't a total bust after all.

Goldie

"Oh yes, obey! It is most delicious to watch the more pompous and pretentious nobles squirm when they realize they're forced to follow the rules of the house." He smiled broadly and grabbed her by the shoulders suddenly to bring them both face to face, "I do so hope you'd be willing to do my a teensy weensy little favor while you're up there presiding over the festivities."

There was a mischievous glint in his eye but his face and his words were still earnest and didn't give the impression that he was being duplicitous or would expect her to do things outside of realms of average levels of comfort. It was more like he had a sudden idea that was too good to pass up.

Which was true. Oh Gods, it was delightful! It was wonderful! It was perfect! Even he wouldn't have been able to plan this night as perfectly as it was turning out to be!

"My dear friend Selenius is just a tad...uh...." He looked at Constance, "How would you describe him, Constance?"

Despite her disapproval of Abby, she still treated Rian with respect earned from years of good employment and not a small amount of loyalty. At the mention of Selenius's name, her lips twitched into a small scowl, "A rat, My Lord."

"Always to poetess!" he exclaimed and turned back to Abby, "He is a rat, as she so aptly put. He has been avoiding me for weeks and...well...unless he wants to get kicked out of the party he'll have to listen to you once you're crowned." His smile grew as he thought about all of the wonderful things he could have the man do....oh this was delightful. The single best moment he'd ever had at his galas!

He leaned forward so his and Abby's brows were almost touching, "I want you to make him.....uncomfortable. If that is alright by you?" By this point, servants were rushing into the room with gowns for Abby to choose and a plethora of jewels that would soon adorn her as well.

"You'll get to select!" He added with a swoop off his hands at the selections.

Rhindeer

Ohhhhhh?

Peering into Wisselworth's eyes, Juniper's eyebrows rose the slightest bit as she studied him with genuine surprise—and, perhaps even more surprisingly, genuine respect. Well, well, wasn't this a twist? It seemed they had a common goal. Selenius owed Wissilworth. Selenius owed Rufus. Then Wolves wanted her to give the man a scare. Wissilworth wanted her to torture him. A little.

The stars in her little pocket of the universe had aligned. She would get to do her job—and she didn't even have to be sly about it now! She would get to spook him very, very publicly and something about that absolutely delighted her. Ahh, it seemed she may have misjudged this Wissilworth, silly name and all. The man had bite!

Even better? Even Constance seemed to hate the man. For the moment, at least, the three of them had a common enemy. Hopefully that would stall the bitch a little.

"So...just a little playful hazing, M'lord?" she whispered, their faces so close together it was bordering on uncomfortable, but she didn't dare look away. "I...I think I can do that. As long as it's nothing too...um...extreme?"

Yeah, right, she was going to make the man writhe.

"I can certainly try my best!" she concluded with a nod, eyes wandering to the assortment of gowns. Gods, she was going to feel as ridiculous and flashy as a peacock in those, but there was no going back to the comfort zone of anonymity; that ship had sailed and she was stranded on this island now for however long this played out. Holding in a sigh, Juniper turned from Wisselworth and scanned the selection, hoping for at least one discreet option, but saw none.

Ah. Fine.

"How do I even choose?" she mused, biting her lip in feigned indecision. Finally, she closed her eyes and pointed to a dress at random, which about summed up her fashion sense. "That one!"