Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Lost and Isolated (moved topic)

Started by Anonymous, December 26, 2004, 09:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

((OOC: Well, here's the first page.  I'm gonna post this in chunks, so the second and then the third pages will be forthcoming as they get reformatted and then moved over here.))

Sougra didn't know how he got here. All he knew was that, when he'd dashed into the woods to escape the attentions of those mean human-cubs in the village, he hadn't exactly been paying attention to where he'd been going...and before long, he'd become hopelessly lost. He'd lived so long among the human place, living off stolen scraps of food and enjoying the general busyness of the area, even if his presence wasn't always appreciated, that that was the only life he truly knew. Alone in the wilderness...that was something he was certainly not familiar with. And to his untrained eyes, every tree looked the same, every bush not the least bit unique. And what sense of direction he possessed was virtually useless.

He was lost, alone, afraid, and wanted to get back to that familiar human place, where he knew he could fine both food and company. Even if the company tended to be a bit one-sided. And sometimes cruel. Like the recent turn of events that had caused him to flee in the first place.

Panting softly, he stopped abruptly and turned his head, gazing vexedly at the bundle of sticks that were tied to his tail, always just out of reach no matter how he spun and twisted in his attempts to reach for them. Sometimes he could grab ahold of them if he was quick, but he couldn't get the stupid things off! And wherever he went, they dragged on the ground, sometimes getting caught in bushes that he passed, always slowing his progress. And they hurt! Sometimes they bounced forward and smacked him along the backs of his legs.

This was so stupid...

Now, for the millionth time, they'd managed to get tangled up in a bush.

Argh.

Sighing, he snapped at them a few times with newly grown adult canines, though he was still far from adolescence. But, as usual, his attempt to rid himself of the things proved futile, and he lurched forward again in an attempt to dislodge the things from the bush. He had to keep going. He had to find his way back! And then, maybe, he could find someone who'd help him, like those nice people he'd met a few days ago. If they were still there...

Oh, great...this time, it didn't seem to be working, and his expression faded from an irritated one to a worried one, yellow eyes widening. With a small whine, the white pup tugged again, then twisted around to try and bite at the rope uselessly.

Oh no...no...he didn't wanna be stuck here! Not here, in the forest, alone! And it'd be dark soon, too!

Why'd this have to happen? Stupid human-cubs!

Another figure moved through the forest, though this one was human, and rather large. Looking up through the trees, he noted the position of the sun sinking steadily towards the horizon. He'd have to make camp soon...and he was starting to get hungry. The jerky in the worn backpack slung on his shoulder would suffice, but he was beginning to long for real meat.

As he walked about, trying to find a suitable place to make his camp for the night, he heard a whimpering off in the brush. Though human, his ear seemed to twitch at the sound, and his head rounded quickly to determine where the noise was coming from. He moved swiftly through the trees towards where the wolf was trapped, his soft leather-booted feet making nearly no noise as he went, his hand falling to the long and wickedly sharp hunting knife at his side and gently pulling it from its leather sheath.

As he came into Sougra's view, his eyes hardened, and he whispered in a strange tongue, seemingly to himself, "Na doroshonya krraseth volk..." He sighed, and approached the ensnared wolf. As he got nearer, Sougra could see that he was a rather large man, with hardened muscles and not a few scars, wearing an unfastened sleeveless leather vest despite the cooling autumn air under a cloak made from the fur of a snow leopard that is pushed back over his shoulders. Because of the sleeveless vest and the position of the cloak, a tatoo of a stylized feline of some sort would be visible, seeming to climb downwards off of his shoulder. But most importantly, the man (who couldn't have been older than twenty or so, hardly into his majority) had a kind face despite his stern expression.

Kneeling before Sougra, he held out a hand for the wolf to sniff, the stern expression beginning to melt away. He whispered soothing, though incomprehensible words as he put his hunting knife away. "Volk, du karashya nya vo llarnia re hassan ke..."

Wide topaz eyes darted instantly to the long, sharp hunting knife in the man's hand, and then flashed back up toward the man, taking in his cloak...which was unmistakingly made from the skin of some animal. And dread began to settle deep in the pit of Sougra's stomach, making his tiny body quiver. All his previous annoyances were instantly forgotten, all his other thoughts shoved from his mind. He'd been among many humans, and all with little fear. Some might swat at him or yell at him, but none ever...he'd never seen any...

He'd never seen any approach him with a knife while wearing the skin of another creature. And he'd never been trapped like this before, either. And he wasn't ignorant of human hunters, either! He'd learned of them from his family before...and seen them in the village. He'd been told that, sometimes, they went after wolves, too...

Panic surged through him, egged on even further as the man spoke in a language he couldn't understand. Sougra could understand human language, the Common tongue, at least. But this he didn't understand. What was he saying!? What was he gonna...do...?

The combination of all these elements made for one frightened wolf pup.

The man came closer, and Sougra edged back and away from him as much as the rope around his tail would allow, which wasn't much. And if his tail hadn't been tied, it would have been tucked between his legs. He knew he shouldn't have run out here! He knew it! Even if those human-cubs had been mean, he had no business out here! Now...now he was...now he was here, and...

The man was closer now, and kneeling, and Sougra whined and shut his eyes, shivering...

Until he heard the man whisper something, a soothing sound.

Cracking his yellow eyes open, he saw the man had put his knife away, and was holding his hand out to him. Sougra blinked in surprise for a moment, then nearly melted with relief. So...he wasn't gonna hurt him. For a moment, all he could do was stare at the offered hand, but then slowly, cautiously, he pushed his muzzle forward, just a little, to tentatively sniff the man's hand, his eyes finally raising to watch the man's face closely. On a closer look, he didn't look mean...

The man smiled, and slowly moved his hand to rest it on Sougra's head. His crystal blue eyes looked into Sougra's amber ones for a moment, then closed. Suddenly, the feline tatoo on his arm began to glow with a gentle white light, and white fur, spotted with black, sprouted from his skin as his features took on a feline cast. A tail snaked its way out of the end of his spine, and his boots fell off as his feet changed to a digitigrade configuration. He opened his eyes again, still that same brilliant laughing blue, and the corners of his muzzle turned up in a gentle smile at the wolf pup. He spoke again in that strange tongue, but this time the words would echo in the young wolf's mind, their meaning becoming clear. "Do not fear, little one, I am not here to harm you."

The glow on his arm where the tatoo used to be disappeared, and he removed his now-clawed hand from the pup's head. Then he quickly drew his knife and severed the rope connecting the bundle of sticks to the little wolf's tail. Reaching over with a clawed and furred hand, he picked up the bundle, looking it over carefully as he resheathed his knife. Well, somebody liked having fun tormenting the wolf pup...probably some kids from a nearby villiage. Damnable youngsters. They need to learn that they have a place in the balance of nature, and that tormenting other creatures is not it. He sighed resignedly. Oh well, he really isn't the one to be teaching them that...and besides, they had managed to provide him with kindling for tonight's fire.

Taking the backpack off of his back, he started rummaging through it. He pulled out a tinderbox, and then after a moment of further searching, a few strips of venison jerky. Biting into one strip with his now-formidable teeth, he held another peice out to the wolf pup. Poor thing was probably half-starved because of those kids...he spoke again to Sougra, and though while his ears would hear, "Eh, volk, naga do llanna toraen ell ne?" it would be translated in his mind to, "Hey, wolf, are you hungry at all?"

Sougra's yellow eyes widened, this time in wonder rather than fear, as the human began to...change...fur growing from his skin while his form became more and more animalistic. But it wasn't wonder over the change itselfâ€"Sougra was familiar with shifting, though the type his kind was a bit differentâ€"but rather surprise over the fact that this human could do that. It wasn't something he had been expecting.

But the change was also comforting, as well. In a way, the man had just bridged a gap between himself and the pup, revealing that the two had a lot more in common than what Sougra could have imagined. He hardly needed those strange, comforting words to feel secure and safe around this stranger.

And Sougra's trsut only continued to grow when, finally, his sore tail was freed from those human-cubs' cruel trick!

Giving a yip of relief and happiness, the pup bounced forward and away from the bush he had been trapped near, snowy tail wagging vigorously as he turned in a little circle, clearly trying to get a good view of the appendage. It had a bit of a bald patch on it now from the rope rubbing against it, and some of the skin there was raw, but he didn't mind! So long as he was free...it was all good! The fur would grow back, anyway, and the rawness would heal. And, in the meantime, he could finally move around without that stupid thing bouncing along behind him, entangling in stuff and bruising his legs.

And, from the looks of it...he now had company. Which was a really a relief. Though he had been wary of the stranger at first, Sougra was flexible, and the stranger had proven he was kind.

Now, he was even offering him some food...and, indeed, Sougra was ravished. Even if he'd been free all along, he didn't know the first thing about catching his own meal. He'd been living off human scraps for far too long. Not his fault, really. He'd had no other choice after...after what had happened.

Stepping closer to the man, Sougra took the offered jerky gladly, plopping down on his stomach so he could hold into it with his front paws as he chewed on it with sharp teeth. He knew he should probably thank the man...but right now, he was far too hungry, and besides, he didn't know how to do so in this form. He didn't think the man, animalistic as he was, could understand wolf-speak, which was all he was able to produce in this form. And he didn't know how to use telepathy...

Which overall kinda sucked, since he didn't know how the heck to get back into his true form. He could do it with help and guidance, but now that he was away from his pack...he was stuck.

The man looked over the wolf pup carefully. And it was a pup, just barely getting into its adolescense. It wasn't natural for such a young wolf to be out on its own, away from its pack...where was its pack, anyhow? He hadn't heard the howls of wolves for some time. This was getting stranger and stranger...

Looking down at how the pup devoured the first strip of jerky, the man just had to smile. Rummaging through his pack, he found another strip, and set it down at the pup's feet. After thinking for a moment, he spoke to the wolf again. "Little one, where is your pack?" The way that he said it wasn't in a tone of musing, but rather a question directed at Sougra that seemed to be expecting a response.

Swallowing the last piece of jerky, Sougra was more than happy when another strip was placed at his feet, and he immediately set to work on that one, as well. He hadn't realized how starved he was! Then again, he'd had other matters on his mind at the time, other problems to worry about. It was really lucky that as soon as he had time to focus on his stomach, he was being fed!

Raising his eyes away from his meal as the man questioned him, Sougra was still for a moment as he tried to think of how to answer that, mouth still poised around the piece of jerky, which made for a bit of a comical sight. Hmm...he could try to answer that and see if, maybe, he understood wolf-speak. After all, he hadn't known the man could shift; there could be other surprises hidden up his sleeve...

But...hm. Then he might not understand him. And besides, there was also the issue of Sougra being stuck in this form, which he didn't mind altogether, except it made communication with humans hard! If he'd been in his other form in the village, he was sure he wouldn't have had so many problems to begin with!

How could he communicate, and in a way that would clue this man into that fact? After all, if he knew, maybe he could help him...

Ah! He knew!

Looking up at the man, he lifted his shoulders in a sort of shrug. And he was pretty sure normal wolves didn't shrug, and that it was more a human thing. And at the same time, his response was true; he really had no idea...

Josef blinked as Sougra raised his shoulders in a shrug, an odd gesture, especially coming from a wolf. His eyes narrowed just slightly. Why would a wolf shrug, even if it had been spending time with humans? Josef was forced to conclude that this was no ordinary wolf.

He looked Sougra over again, more carefully this time. Well, he looks like a wolf pup, and doesn't smell any different than any other wolf...but that shrug was not something that a normal wolf would have done. Another thing, why wasn't the pup speaking? Perhaps it was a mute? It had been whimpering earlier, but he'd been unable to distinguish any wolfspeak from those whimpers. Hmm...his eyes narrowed slightly as he continued to examine Sougra.

As Sougra started on his second piece of jerky, Josef spoke again. "You aren't an ordinary wolf, are you?" This time, however, he was speaking in the Common tongue, though with a bit of an exotic accent. He leaned forward, looking Sougra in the eyes. "You aren't an ordinary wolf, so what are you?"

Sougra's tail thumped against the ground as it wagged excitedly, his ears perked. For the moment, the piece of jerky was forgotten as he raised his head to watch Josef, mouth open in a sort of wolfish grin. He'd figured it out! His hint had worked! Well...he'd only figured out some of it. But that was enough! He could work with this!

Now...how to answer the rest in a way that could be understood...

His yellow eyes rolled upward for a moment as he thought this over. There was really no way he could think of to tell the man this in a clear way. He could continue performing charades, but that would be really hard, and it might confuse him, too. Or just look really silly. Hm...maybe he could just try wolf-speak. And if that didn't work, he could try and think of...something else.

But even trying to decribe what he was through speech would be kinda tricky. He didn't know how to decribe it!

A sudden idea came. I'm a...kinda like you! was the answer he finally came up with, communicating this through a series of soft but enthusiastic yips and barks, tail still wagging vigorously. And hopefully. Maybe he'd understand? He hoped he would! It was unlikely, but if he did, it'd make things so much easier! But...I got kinda stuck like this... He finished with a soft whine, clearly a little miffed by that turn of events.

His yellow eyes still watched the man hopefully, curiously.

Josef blinked in surprise. A Shifter that had gotten stuck? That was something that he'd never heard of. Also, he'd never heard of these southern lands having Shifters, either. Maybe they were more rare than in his homeland, maybe the traders who had come to find his tribe just hadn't known about them, maybe, maybe, maybe...he returned his attention back to Sougra.

"A Shifter? I had not heard that these southern lands had them..." He looked Sougra over yet again, pensively this time. "And you got stuck in that form...that is another thing that I did not know was possible with Shifters. Intriguing. Hmm..." Perhaps this was a different kind, a different method of Shifting from his own. That may explain why he had not heard of it from the traders, and why the wolf had managed to get himself stuck as one.

He shook his head ruefully. "Well, unfortunately, that is outside of my area of expertise. I do not know how to get you 'un-stuck' from this form..." He sighed, looking down. "I'm sorry. You are welcome to share my food, fire, and company for as long as you wish, however. What is your name, young one?" His apologetic gaze returned to Sougra.

Sougra's eyes widened in surprise. He had been hopeful, but not expectant, that the man would understand him, and the fact that he did brought on yet another wave of relief. The man probably didn't realize what a relief that was...Sougra hadn't spoken with a soul in weeks, because no one understood him. That someone finally could...man...he'd never take communication for granted again!

But in addition to relief, his excitement only continued to build, and he spoke on with unchecked enthusiasm. You can understand! Wow! You're the first person to be able to in...in a really long time! Yeah! I'm a...shifter, though we never called it that. We never called it anything, really! And yeah, we can get stuck...'cause we get taught how to change back and forth when we're older pups, like me. I was just starting to learn...but when mum was teaching me, something happened, and I was in this form, and then we got separated, and then I found the human place, and then I've been like this for so long and nobody could understand me or help me and...and...

He took a deep breath, finally slowing the deluge of "words". He just couldn't help it! It was really exciting that, finally, he could talk to someone.

His ears wilted a little when the man said he didn't know how to fix the problem...but that was only momentary. A moment later, and he'd perked right back up. It's okay! I'll figure it out! And if I don't...my pack'll help me. I got separated from them, but they'll find me. They're good trackers. The best! he said proudly and with the utmost of faith, laying back down to work on his jerky more. He really had no idea how to go about it...he'd always been guided into his forms by another wolf. But he was certain they'd find him again. It'd been a long time...but they'd still come.

And thanks! I'm Sougra. What's your name?

The man nods slightly, a smile playing softly on his muzzle at the pup's enthusiasm. "Josef...and in this tongue I believe that my surname would translate to 'Snow-shadow.' It's a pleasure to meet you, Sougra." He takes another bite of his own jerky, chewing slowly. "And yes, I can understand you. My people pride ourselves on our connection with nature, and all of its creatures. Hence..." he gestures to his feline features.

"And as for how we shift..." He leans back against a fallen tree trunk, looking back up into the sky. "We aren't exactly taught, though we certainly aren't born with the ability. When a youngster of my tribe, male or female, reaches a certain age, they are turned out into the wilderness on their 'Moon Hunt.' They have one moon to hunt down an animal, and the animal that they choose and kill becomes their guide." He lifts the corner of his snow leopard fur cloak. "This was my choice, and now is my guide."

Looking back down at Sougra, he smiles. "Well, until your pack finds you, you are welcome to stay with me on my travels. If I can, I might be able to teach you something about my method of shifting, and you might be able to return to your own form." He grins. "I don't know what the elders of my tribe would think at me doing something like that...but I'd be willing to do anything that I can to help you."

Sougra listened intently as the man spoke of his own tribeâ€"which Sougra translated as being something similar to a packâ€"and their own method of shifting. Which was pretty different from his own. His whole pack was made up of wolves, and all of them had two forms, one that was of a wolf, and a true form that was like a human's, almost. No hunt was required to learn and gain the ability; simply some teaching. It was an inborn ability and instinct, just like hunting. But just like hunting, it had to be taught.

That was pretty interesting! He didn't know there were a whole lot of other creatures out there that could do that!

Wow...I didn't know there were other...shifters? That was what he'd called it, right? I didn't see any others in the human place...you're the first other one I've met!

Swallowing his last bite of jerky, he sniffed around for any crumbs he might have missed, then licked his muzzle clean. And then nearly jumped up with another jolt of excitement.

You'd...let me stay with you? And you could teach me!? he asked, blinking up at Josef. That'd be really neat if you could! I don't like being stuck! And then, when my pack found me, I could show them! And...and I could really stick around ya? Oh geez...he could hardly believe his luck.

He wouldn't have to be alone...

That's great! Thanks, Josef!

Josef nods. "Yes, there are humans who can shift. There aren't any around here, because," he snorts in derision, "the humans in these Southern lands mainly believe that they are seperate from nature, and not a part of it. They deny themselves the connection that is essential to continued survival." He sighs. "And they call my people 'savages' because we embrace what they have rejected."

He grins at Sougra's enthusiasm at the idea of being taught. "Just take that with a grain of salt. I don't even know if my tribe's method of shifting would work for you. It might, but then again..." He shrugs. "I don't want to promise you something that I may not be able to fulfill. I will help as much as I can, though, and if we can find your pack, then it will be all the better, and they can finish teaching you how to do it their way." His gaze grew distant as he considered the possibilities of how to manage getting Sougra unstuck out of being a wolf.

Shaking his head as he relegated that idea as a topic for another time, he looked up at the night sky. "However, tomorrow, we're going to have to do some hunting, and perhaps find a more permanent camp where I can prepare whatever we find..." Piling up the sticks from the bundle, he put a little tinder from the tinderbox under them, and struck a spark into the tinder using a flint and steel. Sighing in relief as the spark caught, he soon had a little fire going to ward off the night's chill. It was nothing compared to how cold it was getting in the Northlands this time of year, but still, it was nice to have a fire.

Yeah...I know whatcha mean... Sougra agreed ruefully. Like...that's why those human-cubs tied that stuff to my tail... He gave a little snort, imitating the one Josef gave. And they'd laughed at him, too! Wouldn't be too funny if they had tails and he'd tied some junk to them!

He found that thought to be an entertaining one, but he'd never actually return the favor, even if he could. Unlike those human-cubs, he'd been taught well by his parents and packmates.

That's okay! We can still try it, right? When are we gonna start? Maybe he was getting a little ahead of himself. He had a feeling he was. But he couldn't help but feel excitement at the idea of learning the skill, of being in control of the ability. Or, at the very least, of returning to his true form. It had been a while...and he really missed it. And he was bigger in that form, too! Not much. He was still a pup, but if he'd been in that form in the village, he'd have been able to stand up to those kids, who had towered over him so much. And people might have been nicer to him, too. He'd gotten kicked so many times by people who just thought him some mutt!

A flash of indignation swelled in him at that thought. A mutt! He was a wolf! Were they really that blind?

He shook the thought away, his attention drawn to Josef as he lit a fire. Hunting? Really? I've never been hunting before. I was too young when I was with my pack...but I've grown since then! he remarked proudly as he pulled close to the fire.

Josef considers. "When will we start..." He considers. "Bear in mind that this is a ritual not lightly undertaken, and it is going to be painful, along with the first time that you shift this way." He looks at Sougra, his expression serious. "Once you decide to do this, it will change you. Also, to allow you to turn into a human, or humanoid..." He pauses for a moment, then continues, "you will have to use me as your guide, though it will be more difficult for me to describe how to change to you, because I will remain alive.

"This process will also create an inseperable bond of magic between us, which will definitely be strange at first." His eyes narrow as he looks intently at Sougra. "The way that the process works is that we will create a bond between us, and then using that bond, you will be able to shift. However, as the bond will exist in our blood, we will need to let our blood comingle..." He sighs. "I realize that this definitely sounds strange, but this is the way that my tribe shifts." He pulls out his hunting knife, looking it over.

If Sougra had been in his true form, he might have blanched a littleâ€"though even then it would hardly be noticeable, because in place of pale fur he would have had pale skin. Painful? Bond of magic? Yikes...now he wasn't so sure about this...

But...well, he wanted to learn how to shift. And he didn't know how long it'd be until he found his pack or they found him. It could be a long time before they were reunited, and he'd be so far behind his siblings and the other pups, who would by then already know how to shift! He didn't want to fall far behind them...they might tease him. His brothers had already teased him about his white hair and skin, because no one could really figure out how he'd been born so pale, when his parents and other siblings were dark. Of course, there were other pale wolves in his pack, so he wasn't all that different. Just among his family he was, and it was a subject of much amusement.

He certainly didn't want to be teased any further by those show-off brothers of his.

Okay. I'll...I'll do it, he said at length, topaz eyes watching that sharp dagger closely. Their blood had to comingle. Painful. He guessed that meant he had to...cut him. Hopefully, he was gentle...or, at least as gentle as he could be. I miss my true form.

As he waited for it to begin, or for further instructions, he spoke. So...what's the 'magic bond' do? he asked curiously.

Josef nodded, and turned to hold the blade of the knife in the fire to sterilize it. "The magic bond would allow us to know where the other is at all times, a vague direction at long range, or at closer range, a more acute sense of direction and a sense of the other's well-being. At very close range...mind-speech, perhaps even a sharing of memories. However, the last is very rare, and only present in very strong bonds..." He looks at the knife, clean now and hot while not being hot enough to burn the flesh and cauterize any wound that it would make.

He looks at Sougra carefully. "Are you certain about this? This is your last chance to back out if you are not sure." His face was serious, and the firelight made shadows play across it in a strange dance, heightening the black spots on his face.

He could tell from Josef's expression and voice that this was a serious matter, and he didn't mean to think any differently. This was permanent...once he did this, he couldn't go back. This would be with him forever. And it would hurt. But...he did want to learn...he didn't want to be stuck like this, with no control over what shape he took or chose to remain in. He wanted to have that control. He wanted to have control over his own body, as he should have. And if he hadn't been separated from his family, he would probably have that control by now!

They would have taught him how to shift and how to control his shifting. His mother had been in the process of doing just that when they were interrupted and she told him to lay low.

This would just be, in a way, continuing what he had begun to be taught. Just a different method of performing the same skill.

I'm sure, he replied, though his voice was a bit meek as he watched the knife. He was sure. He just wasn't looking forward to the promised pain...

Hopefully, this worked, too. It would really be a pain if he went through all this and it didn't. But, still...it was worth the effort.

I'm ready, he continued, then stiffened instinctively as he braced himself for any pain that was to come.

Josef nodded, shifted quickly back to human, and drew the knife swiftly across the palm of his right hand, blood welling up out of the wound. Then he quickly reached over, and cut across the inside of Sougra's right leg, right behind the paw, then grasped the leg so that both of the wounds were touching. The tatoo of the snow panther on his right shoulder began to glow brighter and brighter, and then a similar light began to appear on his left shoulder as his and Sougra's blood ran together, dripping down onto the ground.

Then he began to speak in his native tongue; however, the sound of it seemed much deeper and more resonant, almost seeming to echo through the trees around them. "Ssa ne koraeth llannael, ich'i volk ne harran yo..." He continued to speak, and a ghostly form appeared on his right side, of a snow leopard sitting by him. As the light on his left shoulder began to intensify as well, another figure began to coalesce from the light, this one of a wolf.

As the ritual continued, a light would begin to glow from Sougra's right shoulder as well, intensifying with a pulse from each heartbeat. Images would appear, flashing through Sougra's mind, of a young man running through trees, dashing through the snow, hunting a deer, learning to shoot a bow...images to innumerable to count.

After several minutes, Josef stopped speaking, and the glow began to fade from each of them, the ghostly figures on either of Josef fading from view. A new tatoo had appeared on Josef's left shoulder, this one of a wolf. He panted, the bloody dropping out of his fingers as his shoulder slumped. Looking up at Sougra from under a sweaty brow, he smiled weakly, and spoke directly into his mind. <The ritual is complete. I'll see if I can teach you how to shift tomorrow...>

Sougra couldn't help it. Despite how he braced himself for it, despite the fact that he'd seen Josef slice open his own hand unflinching, he still yelped when his leg was cut, pain pulsing from the wound. Luckily, though, Josef had avoided cutting the pads of his paw, which would have been the equivilent to Josef's hand, because if he had...well, needless to say, walking would have been very difficult afterward. Obviously, Josef realized that, though, hence the reason he avoided the pads.

He watched as their wounds were held together, the pain slowly fading from his memory as the ritual continued. And it was then Sougra realized Josef was in his human form; he'd been too busy watching the knife's progress to realize Josef had changed at the time.

Two apparitions appeared beside Josef, making Sougra's eyes widen, and a glow on his shoulder was seen from the corner of his eye. But he had no chance to look them over or wonder about them, because a moment later, and his mind was bombarded by images, one after the other, of a young man participating his various activities. And Sougra watched all of them with rapt attention as though the scenes were flashing right before his eyes live.

Suddenly, it ended. Josef ceased speaking, and the images faded from Sougra's mind. Soon, everything was as it was prior to the ritualâ€"save the bleeding wound on his leg and Josef's hand, and the wonder of what he'd just witnessed.

Looking up to Josef as he spoke, this time in his mind, Sougra saw how weary the man looked...though Sougra himself felt just as he did before the ritual, save for a new pain and a little sleepiness. But he'd been a little sleepy before it, because he'd been walking for so long...

Sougra nodded, and limped slowly closer to Josef to lay down near him. Stretching out his injured forepaw, he set to cleaning the wound with his tongue, slowing the bleeding. Sounds good. Hey...thanks, Josef. For everything. You should get some rest, now. That ritual sure seemed to have sapped a lot of his energy.

Rhindeer

[Hope ya don't mind if I help move posts, too! ^_~]

Josef nodded slightly, and set his backpack down. Using that as a pillow, he pulled his cloak around himself as a blanket. Looking over to Sougra, he smiled. "Wake me if the fire starts to get out of hand, okay?" That being said, he shut his eyes, and soon was dreaming.

--

Finally, Sougra finished cleaning his wound, which had stopped bleeding fairly quickly with care. Looking up as Josef spoke, the pup nodded. Will do! he replied and, with a wolfish smile of contentment, curled in closer to Josef and shut his own eyes.

Before long, sleep had taken him...

--

Josef wakes up the next morning with a yawn, to find that the fire had burnt itself out over the course of the night, and is now reduced to smoldering embers. Well, looks like there isn't going to be a hot breakfast...well, he didn't have anything to cook anyways. Oh well...today, he and Sougra will work on Sougra's transformations, and maybe he'll be able to snag something for dinner while he's at it.

Looking over, he finds the wolf pup to be still asleep, and smiles slightly, reaching over to wake him with a gentle shake. "Wake up, Sougra. Big day today..." He pulls out two strips of jerky, and grimaces slightly. Those were the only two that were left...yes, he's going to definitely need to do some hunting today.

--

The sensation of being gently shaken brought Sougra back to the waking world, and his eyes peeled open groggily, blinking against the morning light. Hearing Josef speaking, he glanced over at the man, before his eyes closed on their own as his jaws opened wide in a long yawn, tongue curling. Licking his lips, he gave a small smile at Josef, then slowly raised himself to his feet and stretched out his back, chest to the ground, tail up, and forepaws clawing the earth as he reached forward, deepening the stretch.

Finally straightening, and feeling far more awake after that little morning ritualâ€"amazing what a little stretching could do! He never quite felt awake unless he did all thatâ€"he grinned wolfishly over at Josef, wide awake by now. After all, he was young, and it always seemed the young ones woke up with the most ease. Sougra was no different, and within a matter of minutes, it was as though he had never been asleep to begin with.

Oh! We're gonna try the shifting thing? he asked finally, tail swaying relaxedly. A bit of a silly question, since Josef had said they would, but he had also been so tired last night, Sougra hadn't been so sure he'd be able to today. He might have needed more rest. But, it didn't seem that way now. Josef had been the one to wake first, after all, and Sougra was usually an early riser!

But this had also been the first day in a couple days that he'd been able to sleep securely.

--

Josef nods with a smile. "It should be relatively easy. The ability and knowlege of how to do it is within you, along with my blood, and all you need to do is find that knowlege within yourself." He grins, and speaks in telepathy. <And it will make it even easier with me guiding you through the process.> He unconsciously reaches to his left shoulder where the new tatoo of a wolf stands out on his skin, and rubs it gently. "And now, because of your blood, I am able to shift to a wolf as well, and that will make it even easier for you to learn how to do this."

His gaze becomes intense as he looks at Sougra. "Are you ready to try this, now?"

--

Toviel was laughing hsyterically, wiping tears form his eyes as his breath labored from lack of any kind of exercise. He panted he raced through the forest, tripping over an arching root. He stumbled through the bushes and land behind the duo, a wolf and what at the time appeared human. He landed, face on the ground, twigs sticking out from hiss haggy hair, boody splayed out on the ground wildly. He lifted his head, spitting on the dirt with disgust. "Ew, that tastes bad!" He mumbled as he rolled onto his side, looking at the two others, waving a hand in an awkward fashion. "Hey.. ow..." Everything was spinning, and boy, did he feel like he had a serious hangover. And he hadn't had any booze in days!

Ziarre had been following behind. She was relaxed, at least more than had been in days. Usually you could see her muscles outlined against her skin, but at least in the woods she was far from anyone. Besides Toviel, but he wasn't as bad without others around. They had more civilized conversations that way, and she preferred that way. He probably felt that way too, she bet. But she had been becoming more and more on edge, soon becoming aware that this wasa forest and she was never alone. Those thoughts alone made her stealthy and tense. But still, she seemed loose enough to be mentally calm. She was just ready to pounce and move.
Ziarre crept through the bushes until she peered through the bushes with her dark eyes at Toviel and glanced to his right, staring at the others. She snorted and stepped out and behind Toviel. She couldn't have Toviel getting himself killed!

Toviel glanced behind him, spitting out dirt more.
"Oh.. hey Z-foo...!" He mumbled as he continued to try to work dirt out of his mouth. Ick! It tasted BAD.

--

Whoa, really? Sougra exclaimed. He could shift into a wolf now? Crazy! So, that ritual had given him a new ability, too! That must have been the ghostly wolf he'd seen beside Josef during the ritual! It made sense. So now you have...three forms? Wow... That was pretty amazing. He hadn't known that was possible, but he also hadn't known other shifters even existed until he ran into Josef. Or, rather, until Josef ran across him. There was a lot about the world he didn't know...it was almost dizzying to think of how little he knew and understood!

But, back to the present! He could ponder the world's mysteries later.

Josef said shifting would be easy, and Sougra found that to be a relief. It'd be even easier with Josef's new ability, because it was a given that he'd learn the most through example. He always learned the most that way...this should be no problem. Easy.

And Sougra was certain it would be. He'd been able to get into this form with the guidance of his mother, and he was a quick learner if he did say so himself. All he needed was instruction, and practice, and he could catch onto a concept easy enough. He could do this! He would do it.

He was so lucky to have run into Josef...it had to be pure luck. If he those humans hadn't tormented, if he hadn't gotten lost, this wouldn't have happened. He'd still be alone in the human place, fending for scraps...and he'd never learn how to shift. Well, not never. But not until he was reunited with his family, for sure.

Yeah! More than ready, Sougra replied in his usual enthusiastic tone, watching Josef expectantly and intently.

At least, intently until his attention was snapped away from the man when something landed loudly behind them. And complained loudly.

Sougra jumped in surprise, spinning around to find another human splayed on the earth near them, spitting out dirt, and before long, yet another human had entered the scene, a female. Both, from what Sougra could tell, appeared younger than Josef...and neither seemed as acclimated to the wilderness as he, though the girl certainly looked fit. And had something of a stalking wolf's attitude...

Amber eyes darted back to Josef quickly, questioningly, then back to the duo, head tilting slightly.

--

Josef started to speak in resonse to Sougra's question, "Well, technically, I have five forms, counting halfway between-" but then leapt to his feet as soon as he heard the first human crash into the clearing and spun around, hunting knife in his hand. He was in a crouched stance when the woman walked out of the trees, and his eyes were blue slits as he spoke in accented Common to the two. "Both of you, state your business immediately, or get the hell out of here." The tatoos on each of his shoulders begin to glow softly, and his teeth are bared in a snarl as he looks over the two. "I don't have anything for you to rob, if that's what you're looking for, and if you're looking for an easy target for anything, you'd best be looking elsewhere."

--

Ziarre was just about to speak, her anger mounting and it seethed from her eyes a the ruby around her neck burned with a furious maroon glow. Her teeth gritted. She was not human, far from it. Something, that looked like a human, very most. But they were much more vicious and they could be call savages. Ziarre was close to speaking until Toviel's whiney voice pierced between the duo. He clutched Ziarre and pulled himself up, giving a weak smile as Ziarre was more than enraged.

Toviel spoke rapidly and stumble-mouthed. "Okay, okay! I'm sorry.. We have no buisness, I'm just an idiot she's a bitch.. we make our way around... And I didn't fall here on purpose! I'm just an idiot.. I'm sorry!" He cringed. He was two years older than the girl, but held cowardice. For life preservation of course. He lost his skills to booze and he had been unable to gain them back ever since.

Ziarre's anger only boiled as she cut off but she didn't speak. No, this was one of those times where it was more wise to try and control yourself and let the idiot talk. At least he wouldn't any of them killed. Hell, Ziarre wouldn't let herself or Toviel be killed. It would be much harder to kill herself anyway, and Toviel, well, it would be really easy to kill him.

Her hands curled into fists and she glared at the other two. Defiant and unbending, an unyielding surface with many a thing hidden.

Toviel was just Toviel, he was the most open of the duo. He would tell you what he thought, get beat for it, and continue on. His daily routine now-a-days.

--

Nagasoto looked at the cringing figure on the ground with a mixture of disdain and disgust. A drunken coward...he'd seen a few men from his villiage go the route of drink, but he'd never seen it go this far. What a pitiful figure...on the other hand, the woman with him was entirely different. That ruby at her neck...was it glowing? Yes, it was. Josef's eyes narrowed in suspicion. "You use magic, yes?" The tatoos on both of his shoulders began to glow a little more brightly, the figures of the snow leopard and the wolf outlined in white light rather than black ink.

Looking between the two of them, he sighed, and the tatoo's stopped glowing. The man's description of himself and his companion had likely been accurate. He definitely looked like an idiot and she a bitch. He slowly resheathed his knife, speaking with his mind to Sougra, <Apologies, but the lesson will have to wait. I don't feel comfortable showing such a thing to these people...besides, teaching you to shift would leave us both in a vulnerable position, and I don't trust them enough to allow any vulnerability to show.>

Looking back at the two newcomers, he sighed slightly. Damnable rules of etiquette of the tundra. If someone shows up at your fireside, you are obligated to invite them to share your fire. In the tundra, it makes sense, because they could freeze to death up there in a heartbeat if they didn't share your fire, but here...the laws of etiquette still apply, even if there is no tundra. "You are welcome to share our fire," he looks down at the smoldering twigs, "for as long as it lasts." He looks up at Ziarre and Toviel, suspicion still clearly evident in his gaze.

--

Sougra looked back and forth between Josef and the duo, blinking slowly as he listened to the exchange, though his yellow eyes widened slightly at the mention of "magic". He wasn't too familiar with it, though he did know what it was; his parents had told him of it, though they themselves could not use it. Some of his pack could, but most preferred not to, preferring to rely on their own physical abilities and natural brute strength. They always prided themselves in their physical prowess.

Yeah...that's what I thought... Sougra admitted, a little disappointedly, but he knew Josef was right. They didn't know these people...and until they left or something, the lesson would have to wait. He had gotten a feeling that was going to happen when those people showed up.

But the next thing Josef said surprised him. Josef didn't look like he trusted them much...he'd said he didn't trust them. So...why was he inviting them to stay if he was suspicious of them?

He tilted his head to the side slightly, curiously.

--

Ziarre, with hands that usually were forceful and fierce, lowered to the ruby dangling around her neck. She touched it with her fingertips, carressing it as it burned fiercly, hot against her flesh. She let out a sigh, and the only thing in her that was held in her eyes were a deep, deep rooted contempt for the thing that held her soul, that imprisoned it inside that stupid jewel. She was about to reply in her harsh tongue when Toviel did.

Toviel had no desire to make enemies with these people. He had so many enemies on his back that it was a burden. Usually Ziarre held them, but lately she hadn't been doing her part. Her attention was waning and it scared him. He wanted to know what was happening. But he spoke in reply to Josef.

Well, the ruby isn't by will.

He said in a matter-of-fact tone. He knew all about the ruby, he wasn't there when she got it, but he had seen it's disastrous affects on her and other people. But mostly it was on her, and the affects... Well, lets say they were never pretty and she was usually laid up for awhile. To see Ziarre off her feet was startling, at least to him.

Ziarre gave an incredulous look to Toviel. He had not just said that! She punched him roughly in the shoulder, reminding him that she was the boss and that he had spoken too much about her. She couldn't care less if he told them of his entire past, but if he dared to tell of her's... How dare he!

She then took notice his lips that were slightly blued and how he was shivering. He could never stand the cold, not like her. She shrugged off her jacket and didn't even hesitate, thrusting it at him and he slipped into it.

Toviel wasn't surprised that she had given it to him. Ziarre could be generous, even to him. They hated eachother, but they were obligated to one another by eight long, hard years of sticking by eachother's side. It was just habit, and she protected him and he.. well, he had no use. He was just there.

That's very kind to let us stick around.

Ziarre rolled her eyes but it stopped short, and her knees buckled slightly. God damn it! She could feel a faint blue light materializing around her, surging at her, pressing against her. She bit down hard on her lower lip, making it bleed and the blue glow dissipated into nothing. She regained her control, arms crossed over her chest. A barrier to the world.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Rhindeer

Josef nodded, piling up a little more tinder and kindling, and then blowing the smoldering remains of last night's fire to life again. Just when it was burning again, he felt the pulse of magic behind him coming from Ziarre, and his head jerked around. He saw the blue glow around her, and his eyes narrowed into blue slits. However, then he blinked in surprise as he saw her concentrate, biting her lip, and the glow disappeared. What is going on with her?

He stood, noting that she had bitten her lip enough to make it bleed. Approaching her, he held out a finger to touch her lip, and concentrated. The tatoos on both of his shoulder glowed a soft white, as did his fingertip as he touched her lip. Healing energy flowed from his finger to her lip, stopping the blood and knitting together the flesh. Then he backed off, attending to the fire once again.

--

Sougra blinked, growing more and more confused by the minute, especially when the female buckled a little, a light materializing around her. Something wasn't right...and that begame especially obvious when the pup caught the faint scent of blood, and then moments later saw that the girl had bitten her lip.

Sougra resisted the urge to vocalize his uncertainty and concern with a whine, and instead, once the...well, whatever it was that had bothered the girl...had passed, he slowly, bravely, inched a little closer to the duo, sniffing quietly at them while Josef took care of the girl's lip. He wanted to ask what was wrong; it had seemed like the girl was being hurt by something, by that light. But then he soon remembered what form he was in, and that they probably couldn't understaâ€"wait! Well, Josef had been able to! Josef had surprised him. Maybe they would, too?

Or maybe they were more of those humans that weren't very connected with nature.

What happened? he asked them. But, if they weren't intuned to wolfspeak, as Josef was, the question would sound like nothing more than a few soft yips.

--

Ziarre almost recoiled from his touch, her body stiffening and tensing as he touched her lip. Her anger swelled slightly, but died. She had little energy left and she knew she had to reserve for what was to come. She stayed still and strong, no matter what came she would not bend. But when he healed her lip, confusion flickered in her dark brown eyes, along with grown suspicion.

What was that for?

She snapped at Josef. She was so distanced from kindness or consideration that this was highly unusual to her. She didn't know why he had done that. Her pride was bitter towards that act, and yet her more uncertain side shifted, not understanding this, knowing she didn't deserve this show of kindness. But before you knew it, her eyes returned with their fiery glare and she turned it upon Toviel, a frenzy of dots speckling her vision.

Get by the fire. Now.

Toviel blinked, wondering why she had snapped so viciously. He barely uttered a 'but' before she snarled, it was almost animalistic. She turned around and started to wobble away, the unnatural feel of the ground tilting and swaying beneath her feet made her unsuitable for walking. And her headache, got, she clutched her head, making her way for the darkest and thickest brush nearby. Darkness threatened her vision, and everything pounded in her ears. Oh, god, it hurt. It really hurt.

Toviel looked at Sougra, and he shook his head lightly, sighing.

Sorry. Can't understand ya.

Toviel then cast a worried, green-eyed gaze at Ziarre's receding back as she was engulfed by the woods. He wondered what was happening, why she was wobbling, but suddenly he knew why. He sighed heavily and lowered himself into a sitting posistion.

Meanwhile, Ziarre had watched as a swirling ice blue mist shrouded her and collected at her ruby, forcing itself within it. The color filled the maroon ruby, and it looked so bright. Her eyes soon flooded with the color that had taken over her ruby. She moaned softly, slithering to the ground in both pain and lack of oxygen. Her face was quickly paling as she gasped and pleaded for air, but was unable to get it. The darkness was closing in, so quick. It was so lulling, it's sweet song. It sang to her, beautiful songs and she was falling, so slowly it seemed. But a small seed of anger started to bud and blossom, an ugly flower blooming inside her and she managed to wiggle a dagger out from it's hiding place, slashing her left forearm, over the top in a large 'X'. She felt the blue mist slip from her as her anger became more powerful and a maroon veil lifted from her and chased the blue mist away, but not before it took the screaming, angered face of Eyad. She began to choke and gasp, a throaty laugh echoing from her. It sounded... not very human. More beast, more savage then anything. The sound she heard made her smile weakly. She truely was a damnable beast. She was not meant to live with anybody but her own kind. That's what one of her victims had told her before their death. Perhaps it was more truthful then she had first guessed.

Toviel had been looking around, concern in his green eyes as he sighed, just sitting there uselessly.

Ziarre stood, wobbling and falling over, making her snarl with frustration, using the tree to push her up she slashed at it when she stood with the dagger's blade. She then lifted up her shirts, only pulling down her most inner shirt an cut the arm holes and down the front, ripping it most of the way and pulling it off, sliding her dagger back into it's sheath. She then made a makeshift bandage for her arm. She sighed, wincing the slightest. God, she hated herself, she hated her life, she hated this most of all.

Ziarre wobbled and teetered from the woods and tried to regain her balance, especially in their prescence. Instead of moving far away from them she just leaned against the nearest tree, sliding down to the base, exhaustion sweeping her in it's arms. But she had to stay alert, had to stay awake. But she already felt her eyes begin to redden along with the tip of her nose and her eyes grow puffy as tears pricked behind her eyes. She clenched her lower jaw and looked hard at the sky. Okay. Better, all better. No more tears. She could not shed one.

Toviel looked at her.

Are you okay?

He noticed the bandage. He already knew the answer.

Perfectly, absolutely, wonderfully FINE.

She spoke, harsh-toned and desperately tried to cover the exhaustion. Gah, she probably failed at that. Like everything else... NO. She had to be alert. What if Toviel needed her? What if... She just needed to stay awake.

Toviel knew better than to press, he then looked to the two strangers, his head tilted.

So, what's your names?

He directed it at Josef, but included Sougra with the 's' and a friendly glance at him.

--

Josef noticed the bandage as Ziarre walks back into camp from a brief excursion out into the brush. There was something wrong with the woman, he knew it. He just didn't know what. However, there was nothing in such a distance as she could have gone that could have done that to her. Was the cut self-inflicted? If so, there could be...difficulties with these two. She also looked incredibly tired. What could cause such problems? Demonic possession? Josef didn't know. This was outside of his area of expertise.

"So, what's your names?"

Josef looked sharply over to the other man. Ah, yes, the coward. "You two are the guests here. I think that it is more polite to give your own names first?" His left eyebrow quirked upwards in a questioning expression without his face softening at all. He didn't trust either of these two...though the woman was quite frankly dangerous.

--

Sougra snorted softly when the male told him he couldn't understand him. That's what he had figured...but it was still a pain! Oh well, so long as he could communicate with at least one person here, it was alright, though he guessed what was probably the most annoying about being stuck in this form around other humans wasn't the lack of communication, but the difference in treatment. It was really easy to be ignored...

Though, surprisingly, he hadn't experienced this from these new humans, even though they couldn't understand him, and even though he wasn't in his true form. That man had actually responded to him, and acknowledged that Sougra was actually speaking! Mostâ€"actually, allâ€"humans in the village had just cast it off as jargon. And tossed some random object his way in an attempt to get him to shut up. Sougra had learned shortly after that that trying to get someone's attention that way was fruitless.

Soon, the woman that had momentarilly vanished reappeared, and Sougra's sensitive nose picked up on the faint, coppery scent of blood. And the bandage was quite obviously the source, covering an injury of some sort that Sougra hadn't smelled of noticed before.

He looked inquisitively over at Josef, then back over at the people. How'd the female get hurt?

This was...weird...
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Rhindeer

Toviel gave a nod to them, smiling lightly and politely. He was a coward, yes. But at least he was polite and almost decent. On some days. Others he was a pure traitor, through and through. And Eyad found them so easily.. But Toviel had not tipped him off. Eyad, being a sorceror, had scried for them and found them. And the ruby around Ziarre's neck could be easily found with it's own life-like energy.

Ah, yes. I guess so. I'm Toviel, and that is Ziarre.

He spoke to Josef, jerking his chin towards Ziarre who sat off, leaning against the tree. He suddenly couldn't hold his tongue anymore, and he seemed much more demanding and forceful.

What did he want? No, seriously, Ziarre. This was worse than all those other times. What did he say?

Ziarre looked at him, disbelieving. He wanted to mess with her now? While she was in no mood to take his crap? In no mood to answer private questions in front of these people.

It's fine. Everything is fine. Leave it at that, Toviel.

She gave him his last warning, her tone said that. She felt her teleporter blood heat in her veins, excited at the prospect of beating Toviel up. Teleporters were ill-tempered and had a love for a bloodshed, and the thought of hurting another made her heart jump with joy.

Toviel sighed. Might as well give up while he was ahead, knowing that was his last warning. But of course he couldn't help to just reply.

Yeah. I know. Everything is fine until you're really laid up. That ruby is going to get you into serious trouble. Being laid up will make the ruby ravenous! I wish Eyad would leave you alone.

Ziarre rolled her eyes and flopped her hand in his direction. Like she cared? He should go away and shut up. The only reason he was even concerned was because she was his protection.

So, may I ask your names now?

Toviel asked politely towards Josef and Sougra, glancing between the two in his oblivious and yet curious way.

--

"So, may I ask your names now?"

Josef nodded. "I am Josef, and the wolf is named Sougra." His eyes narrowed. "So, who is this 'Eyad?' I have invited you into our camp, so I think it is only fair for you to tell me who this man is who pursues you, as it now pertains to the safety of both Sougra and myself as well as you two." He crossed his arms across his chest. To hell with being polite now. Though he was obligated by his own rules to allow them to share his camp, he had to know what evils they carried with them, for the mutual safety of all in the camp. "Also, what is this about the ruby being 'ravenous?'"

Only then did it filter through that Ziarre had talked with someone. That meant that the person that she had talked to had to be close by! He calmly reached over to his backpack, and unrolled his bedroll, revealing an unstrung recurve bow and several bowstrings. Selecting one of the strings, he strung the bow in one fluid movement. Then he pulled a quiver full of arrows out of his backpack, and clipped it onto his belt. There. Now he was ready, should someone try to attack any member of his camp.

--

Sougra, throughout this strange conversation, had inched closer and closer to Josef, curiosity quickly turning to unease. Someone was...following those people? Someone bad? Yeah, it looked bad, from the way Josef had reacted. Sougra had never seen a bow and arrow before, but he could tell it was a weapon; it looked like one, at least. Kinda similar to the spears his own pack used sometimes, only...different, smaller. And he couldn't tell what that strong, curved thing was, or what it would be used for.

That ruby the femaleâ€"Ziarreâ€"had was bad, then. That's what he got from Toviel's speech. So...why didn't she get rid of it if some person was following her because of it?

The situation was quickly growing more and more bizarre. Sougra hadn't initially really feared these new people, and he still didn't. But...but what was it that they'd brought with them?

Not good, huh...? he asked Josef, sitting so near him he was almost touching him, though his wide yellow eyes were still watching the duoâ€"mostly focusing on that strange ruby, now. The...the red stone's bad? Why doesn't she get rid of it...? Maybe Josef knew something about this kind of stuff. After all, he was far more worldly than Sougra was. And, besides, only Josef could understand him. It would be pointless to try and ask the other humans that question.

--

Ziarre sprung to her feet with energy she could not spare. Anger swelled inside her while she cut Toviel off. It was time he shut up while she told these strangers straight out what they needed to know. Only what they needed to know and nothing more. She refused to reveal to them the key to her past. They didn't care anyway.

It's nothing you need to worry about. He only comes after me, he wont bother we neither of you two, or him for that matter. The ruby? Ravenous... Yes. It feeds off energy, and anger is the energy it is most nourished by.

If only she could get rid of ther ruby, if only she could lose it from her neck. She would be a free woman then, she would be what her species were meant to be. People who, in all their viciousness, loved freedom and boundless things without rules to bind them. If only, then life would be, truely, complete.

I am the only one he wants to kill. That's fine with me and I suspect it's fine with all you, right? I know Toviel would prefer it.

Toviel looked shocked, because her voice had risen, and despite the exhaustion she had, she always found the energy for anger. And you could always measure her anger by how the ruby glowed, and how it pulsed with life.

Toviel gave a guilty look as she spoke on how he would like to see her dead. That was true, he truely held a deep contempt. And a twisted love for her, but the only reason they stuck to eachother like glue was because he was a puzzle peice to her past and she was his protector. The only one who risk her neck. The only one who felt obligated to protect himself.

Ziarre was fuming. The anger she felt had flushed her face and her ruby pulsed, casting out magnificent light. Her eyes burned with hate and anger, an inferno twisting within them. Oh God, how could she ward Eyad away? Her energy was strained and the ruby could not live solely off of anger, oh no, it could not. It would soon take her weak body to the limits. It would test her as it has done so many times before. But what could she do? It locked her soul and spirit within itself. She was at it's will.

--

Josef looked down at Sougra to answer his question. "I don't know if the ruby is necessarily bad..." he looked back up at her, and the ruby, "but most things that exist by leeching off energy like a vampire generally are. And no, I don't know why she doesn't get rid of it."

Josef listens to Ziarre's question, then shakes his head in reply. "No, it is not all right with me that he wants to kill you." He looks her over, particularly the ruby which pulses with light. "You are my guest here. It is my obligation as your host to serve as your guardian for as long as we share a fire." He bows to her, one hand swept out. "What kind of host would I be if I allowed the enemies of one of my guests hurt her?" He looked up at her as he straightened. "No, it is most definitely not all right with me that he wants to kill you, and only you." He crossed his hands over his chest in finality, showing that he would brook no further arguments.

--

The sudden ferocity and motion of Ziarre made Sougra jump in surprise, but then he calmed as she spoke...a little. Kill her...? Something wanted to kill her?

That made Sougra a tad uneasy...and even a bit sad. Why would someone want to kill her? Why would someone want to kill anyone, for that reason? Well, aside from food. Wolves killed, but they took only what they needed and wasted as little as they could. The only thing from a kill his pack didn't use from a kill was...was...hrm. No, they used the bones, too, for weapons and stuff. But that was beside the point! He didn't think anyone could eat Ziarre, nor want to. She didn't look like she had anything on her, anyway. Then again, wolves didn't eat humans, especially not his kind, which were, in their true form, humanoids themselves!

Maybe there were human-hunters, too...Sougra knew about those hunters that tracked down animals like wolves for various reasonsâ€"he'd been taught it early onâ€"but he didn't know anyone hunted humans, and hunting was, really, the only reason Sougra could think of that someone would want to kill someone else. In his own pack, there was no such thing as murder that he knew of. Maybe prior to his own lifetime, but since he had been born, he'd heard of nothing of the sort.

Senseless murder was a concept quite unknown to him.

Looking to Josef as he spoke, Sougra gave a little nod of agreement. No, it wasn't at all okay that someone wanted to kill her...

--

With Josef's words her anger grew and the color pulsing from the ruby was near blinding. The soft sound of a beating heart pulsed, coming from the ruby as it thumped. Ziarre knew she was sating it, but not for long. She paused, but just for a moment. Why did he care? No, he didn't. She didn't want to be confused by his words. Teleporters were often puzzled by any kind of kindness shown them.

It better be alright with you that he wants to kill me. I will not let you get into my damn buisness. I don't care what kind of host you want to be, but the only thing I even want you protecting besides yourself and that wolf and Toviel. He is the only want who needs it. Leave me out of it. I can and will defend myself. If I can't do it, I'm better off dead anyway. He kills me, he kills me. It only involves me, my father, and Eyad. No one else! She snapped in a voice that had grown in volume and viciousness.

Her arms crossed across her chest as the tension and hate just built itself. She'd be in for a long night. She knew she would submerge into many battles through the night, and they could not help her. Only if Eyad actually appeared, and even then he was a strong, powerful sorceror. The mere thought of him made a thick bile rise in her throat and she swallowed back the vomit that burned it.

Her lower jaw clenched as anger flickered inside her, the inferno raging. The ruby, in return of living off her energy, gave her energy back to her. It made her a little stronger, and her determination to get Josef out of her life was only swelling. Her pride was large and the mere thought of intervention already hurt it.

Toviel watched, sitting on the ground and watching the fight between them. Ziarre wouldn't give in, whether Josef wanted her too or not. She didn't want his help. It would scare Toviel to the core if she accepted. That would definitly not be Ziarre-like. Unless it was a twisted scheme to get them both killed of course.

--

Josef growls, sounding more animal than human, as he begins to lose his patience with this woman. Proud, arrogant, vain...he growled again, the tatoo of the wolf on his left shoulder starting to glow. His eyes narrowed to mere slits as he glared at her. "Listen, you bloody idiot. If there is a problem that you can't handle alone, and this is obviously one of them, you better lose your pride a little bit. If you can't admit, even to yourself, that you sometimes need help, then you are going to die. And no. Nobody is better off dead, unless they would use their life to hurt others. Or they are too stupid to know when they are into something over their head.

"For however long you share my fire, I am your protector. Get used to that." He snarled, turning away.

--

Sougra gave a little snort as he listened to the exchange. Wow. Josef certainly got her there...

And he was right! Sougra just couldn't see why the female was being so difficult. Josef was being nice to her. It was kinda weird that she would refuse his kindness. He knew that he'd taken up on Josef's offer of companionship without even thinking, and he felt safe around him, too.

His head cocked to the side, confusion once again the prevailing emotion. Humans were so odd sometimes...not that he knew many humans personally.

What's with her? he asked, though a bit carefully. Josef sounded irritated, after all...

--

Ziarre's dark eyes suddenly started to glow maroon, her anger mounting. She couldn't understand this man, nor did she want to take the time or effort to do so. She was at least getting energy from this and a sudden joy flamed inside her eyes. She was a beast born from hate, anger, war, and bloodshed. She relished battles and fights, and she loved this, but she refused to give into him.

"DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?! This doesn't CONCERN you! You BLOODY BASTARD!," her british accent came into play, as she was more screaming and snarling then anything now.

"I don't WANT your help! I don't WANT to share you fire. I HAVE too though. I CAN handle this alone, if I can't, then I die, then my father and Eyad wins and everything is at peace again. But they wont win. It takes ALOT to kill a teleporter DAMNIT. Oh, BY THE @#%$ WAY! I do hurt people, I do kill people. I AM better off dead. In your opinion and mine for different reasons!"

Toviel blinked and winced and avoided staring at the blaze of the ruby.

"Teleporters are vicious creatures born from war and bloodshed. They are creatures who hate rules and are self-dependant. They do not like help and are confused by the mere thought of kindness. They reject it harshly and live by their own rules. If they die, they die fighting and by their own rules. They are beings who are prone to violance and bloodshed, they are drawn to it. They have large prides and when accepting help they are most vehement. They feel they have shamed both themsleves and their blood. Teleporters are deathly loyal and sadistic. They love to inflict pain, and are ill-tempered. They hate to reveal to much about themselves, like their problems. They feel it is only their concern and no one elses because no one else should care. They do like being bound by feelings, unless it's love. They can be most loving, affectionate, and tender creatures when you decide to accept them. And teleporters usually do not start fights unless they are annoyed or threatened. Teleporters only kill and use violance when they have reasons. Their own reasons and no one else. They also love being difficult," Toviel, in a monontous voice recited what he knew about Teleporters.

Ziarre glared and him and clenched her fist. She a maroon glow touched her fingertips. But suddenly she flinched, sharply at that. She glanced to the ruby and fumbled for it, pulling at the chain away from her neck as it literally began to burn through her clothes and melt and burn her skin. It was trying to fuse with her bones. It had done it once, and she Toviel break her collarbone to get it out too.

Toviel's green eyes look at Ziarre sadly.

"They are also determined and lack self-control," he added.

Rhindeer

Josef growls again, the tatoos on both shoulders blazing with a white light as intense as the light coming from the ruby around Ziarre's neck. "You fool. If you can't handle it alone, don't resign yourself to death! Why must you die if you can't do something alone? Just get people to help you, otherwise it is not worth doing!" The hand on the grip of his bow was white-knuckled in his anger, and he looked about an inch away from nocking an arrow to his bow and firing at Ziarre.

However, his expression softens slightly as he listens to Toviel's litany. Looking over at him, then back to Ziarre, he notices that the ruby seems to be burning her. The glow of the tatoo on his left shoulder fades to nothing, while on the right the glow extends down to cover his hand in a protective "glove." He reaches up to hold the ruby away from Ziarre's skin. His blue eyes meet her glowing maroon ones, but he speaks to Toviel. "How, then, are they different from humans?"

--

Sougra shifted uncomfortably. Things were really coming to blows between that woman and Josef...

Luckily, the other man, Toviel, spoke up, to shed some light on the situation that, without him, might not have been shed. After all, the woman was far too hot-headed to say anything intelligible, it seemed. Anything that didn't include nasty language, at least.

Teleporter? Was that just another word for a hot-headed human?

And then the ruby started to burn, it seemed...and Josef reached out to hold it away from her neck. Sougra gave a little huff of frustration. Why didn't she just take it off!? That would seem the easy way! If something hurt you, you got away from it! You didn't keep batting at a porcupine with your paw after you learned it could stick you! Unless you were really daft or stubborn...and with some pups it took multiple tries before the lesson would sink in...

She seemed of the stubborn variety.

--

Toviel continued to look at Josef and Sougra, sighing as he moved away from Ziarre. She could move fast and her aim was accurate, no matter how he moved.

"Teleporters can teleport. They can go anywhere they please, nothing holds them. They can appear by someone by name or appearance. They are difficult to kill because of that, and they detest confinement and rules. They can heal automatically, and they only age to a certain point. They don't die of old age. Besides that and their attitude nothing else. But with Ziarre... it's different," he spoke quietly.

Ziarre's eyes burned with feverish hate and anger, they burned maroon. But suddenly she winced and cried out, shielding her neck from the flames and wincing. She snarled, the pulse of the ruby growing louder as she glimpsed a blue glow, but nothing more than that.

Toviel continued to look at them.

"Ziarre is different because of that ruby. That ruby holds both soul and spirit. Without that ruby, without she will die. When she gets to hot-headed the ruby tries to fuse with her body. It has already. Eyad is after it simply because it holds all her power and if he takes it, he'll have it. Then he wont have to put up with her. She'll be dead, no strings attached. When she was just a kid, about 5 she was sold off to Eyad by her dad. Eyad is a power hungry son of a bitch," he spoke lightly.

"That's why she can't take it off," he said.

Ziarre's lower jaw clenched and her hands twitched irritabily. She pulled away from Josef stubbornly, still holding it away by the chain. She didn't want anyone touching her, indirectly or directly. But her eyes were soon turned to Toviel and her image seemed to flicked, as if a hologram.

Toviel hit the ground and hit it hard, his mouth bleeding as he was kicked around once or twice more by an unseen force which was Ziarre. She materialized more solidly a few feet away from both of them.

She glanced to the fire and an hold, hold fire flickered inside her. Fire... she winced, looked away and regained her 'self-control'. Okay, calm down. Her head was racking by those bickering voices.

Calm down! No! Who do they think they are? What is that bastard up too? @#%$ them! Calm down! The ruby! It's trying to fuse... that fire... no, calm down! leave it go! fear is not an option. stop it, stop it, stop IT! Ziarre staggered, getting dizzy. Within a second she had a dagger out and emotionlessly she cut open her shoulder and everything about her died to a smoldering flame.

She felt lightheaded and pissed.

"Toviel, shut up. None of your buisness either. This is none of your buisness, none of it. I don't care about your rules, about what you consider a good host or not. I don't want anyone to even act nice to me. Don't be all nice, leave me the hell alone. I'm only here because I'm due for visits from Eyad. Toviel needs protection I can't provide while I'm being attacked. That's the ONLY help I will recieve. I refuse anything else. I don't like you people, I hate all three of you. I hate you more than any of you can imagine. No one can help me, only make it worse," she said in a harsh, growling tone.

Ziarre wasn't taking this crap. Not from anyone, not from them.

--

Josef growls in return. "You know what? I'm tired of hearing your sob story about how you hate all of us because we offer our help. I'm tired of hearing about how nobody can help you. I'm tired of hearing about how much you hate rules, and kindnesses, and all that. Despite you being some kind of 'Teleporter,' when it really comes down to it you are not any different from a human on the basic level. It's not really that nobody can help you, its that you won't let them. You are too busy being consumed by your pride that you refuse to acknowlege the skills of other people." This woman irritates him. He cannot see how anyone could be so arrogant and so insistent upon their independence, especially since he has come from a tribal community. He was brought up to do things on his own when possible, but to ask for help when it was necessary.

He pointed one finger at Ziarre, unaware of the bright glow from his left shoulder and the grey fur beginning to cover his body. On his new lupine muzzle, the lips curled up into a snarl. "You are obviously incapable of defeating this man alone, but you do not wish to die. That leaves one alternative, and you can either see it or refuse to. That choice is up to you, but I strongly suggest that you see the one option that is left to you." He turns back to poke up the fire, shaking with anger with the fur all over his body bristling. This woman...is such a stubborn idiot! In his anger, he left her wounded shoulder to heal by her own devices. He'll be damned if he offers any more help to her!

--

Hated him? What'd he ever do to her? And hated Josef, too? All he was trying to do was help, and she hated them?

Sougra gave a little indignant growl, white fur bristling along his hackles. No wolf ever spoke to another packmate like that, and if they ever did, they were quickly put back in their place by strong words or strong actions. Or, if they were so insistent upon their own independence, they were kicked out, just to teach them a lesson and show them what the world outside their community was like.

Usually, they came back, and came back humbled, at that.

In a normal wolf pack, an actual wolf pack, the pack would no doubt be run quite differently. But Sougra came from a wolf pack that wasn't quite a wolf pack. His kind were both humanoid and wolf, but at the same time, neither. And though they called themselves "wolves", and called their community a "pack", they had their own set of rules, customs, and mannerisms. Some were similar to those of true wolves...but not all.

Still, they had no separate name for their race. They were simply "wolves", and, in truth, legend had it that they were descended from some of the first wolves to walk the Earth. That said, they felt no need to change their name.

It was a confusing history to an outsider, but to Sougra and his kind, it made perfect and complete sense.

He was jarred from his thoughts when Josef finally spoke, and his yellow eyes darted from Ziarre back to the man...who now looked more like a wolf himself. Sougra blinked in surprise for a moment, confused. He knew he could take on a...a cat-like appearance, but a wolâ€"oh, wait, that was right. The ritual. Now he had wolf in him...that explained it. That explained the tattoo. Erk. Sougra had gotten so caught up in the current drama that he'd nearly forgotten!

Which lead to another annoyance. At this rate, it'd be forever until he could learn to shift and return to his true form, just because the female ws being so stubborn and, well, mean. But...that was him just being selfish...so he quickly pushed that thought from his mind. His parents had always told him that was a bad trait to have...

--

Toviel blinked at Josef and shook his head, just about to interrupt and explain to Josef that help was not truly an option. Eyad used energy to attack her which was not solid and could not be attacked, only fended off. And the thing about Ziarre's species, they were all like that. Toviel knew another teleporter who was just as bad as Ziarre, acting both the same. But once again, Ziarre guided him off that path.

"Toviel, shut up, now," she snapped as she moved a little ways off, sitting down again the tree, a light, vague smirk on her lips.

Toviel sighed and looked at them.

"I'm sorry," he mumbled to them, rubbing the bruises on his face for a moment.

Ziarre was tense and waiting for what was too happen, what she knew would happen. She felt the ruby swell with it's own needs and she could feel it, growing hungry. She refused it, denying it of what it wanted and waited for Eyad to come again.

--

Josef growled softly, sitting back over by Sougra. He looked down at himself, noticing that he had shifted with an exasperated sigh. Looking back over to Sougra, he explained telepathically. <Sougra, one of the the things that you must beware of now is that intense emotion may cause you to shift when you do not want to.> He sighed again, looking at his furred hands. <Case in point. I had thought that I was past that stage, but apparently this change is still new in me, and excitable. I will not be able to change back for a while...> He shrugged his shoulders. <That is the price you pay for this ability.>

Josef looked over at the two newcomers to their camp. "Well, bear in mind that if this camp, or any of the people in it, are attacked, it is my duty to defend it and them in any way possible. And no, there is no way that you can dissuade me from doing that." He looked pointedly at Ziarre. "You don't want my help. Very well. I can accept that. But my honor dictates that I must do this. If you cannot accept my honor, then I will be glad when you decide that it is time to leave my fire." He turned away, testing the draw of his bow.

[YES! All posts have been moved! We may resume posting, now! XD]

Rhindeer

Ohhh...so...did that mean Sougra could shift to his true form if he got wound up enough? His yellow eyes widened slightly, a mixture of thoughtfulness and enlightenment apparent in those amber orbs. That was good to know, though he could see how it could become annoying and troublesome, too. If he was out among humans, he certainly wouldn't want to freak everyone out by suddenly shifting into his wolf form because he was overly disappointed or scared or excited or something...

But, for now, he really wanted to get back into his true form. Only problem was...he wasn't feeling some really intense emotion right now.

You win some, you lose some, he reckoned.

Glancing back over at the duo, then back to Josef, he shifted slightly, curling his tail around his legs. Seemed that, for now, the argument had ceased, and now a silence was settling around them.

Which Sougra felt to be a bit awkward, even though he was glad it meant no more harsh words. That kinda language, the stuff that female was spouting, was always disconcerting to him.

Anonymous

Ziarre's dark eyes rose to Toviel, fiery and devoid of true emotion. She pushed herself forward a few steps to him as she watched the disturbance in the air behind him. She say - for a split second. A sneering face and both rage and sorrowful obligation brought the silver bladed weapon to her hand. She, with much skill, snapped the throwing knife at Toviel. Or so it seemed, but it hit something behind him. She watched the dagger, stuck in her victim as she disappeared, appearing by her dagger with her long spear in hand. She cut the invisible man, watching it fall to the ground without remorse or thought. She knew she had taken a life, maybe he had once a family. She didn't care, this was old to her. She looked at the blood smeared bdoy as it slowly became visible.

"Thought he could get to you to get to me," she said as she picked up the body and teleported away, coming back shortly after.

Ziarre waved her hand at Toviel, quieting as she rubbed her temples, a headache brewing. She slipped away to the shadow of a tree, sinking down, welcoming it's embrace. She wrapped her arms around her, her spear now hidden in the midst of her clothes. That spear was special, it drew within itself to form a small, compact club. Ziarre loved it's multiuse, but often kept it a hidden weapon for the element of surprise.

She grabbed the ruby in her hands, holding it tight in her grasp as she felt the churnings of the evil around her, it slowly intensified as it converged on her in wisps of blue light. The maroon light, empowered and ravenous, no longer civilized but a savage as it roared to life. It broke free from her fingers as both lights and energys collided and tangoed around her. Those dark eyes fixated on the ground, her legs crossed in front of her as well as her arms. The air around her shuddered just as she did but it soon died down and it shattered and fell away. Not tonight she thought as another heavy wave of exhaustion hit her. The impact of it threw her off balance, teetering as she looked to the sky with eyes empty.

Toviel looked back at her and that at Sougra and Josef, eyes troubled with worry and concern. He brushed back stray, dirty blond locks from his green eyes as he glanced back to Ziarre. She had, once again, saved him. And how did he repay her? He didn't. He was her pain, everything he stood for was her pain, the past. Her anger, her sorrow, what she could and couldn't have. The things he stood for, a constant reminder of her pain. A constant reminder of what she could never be.

"Sorry again for troubling you two so much. But that was a fluke. I need to stay around you guys because if anyone attacks me and Ziarre is being caught with Eyad I need to be watched. And again, I'm very, very, very sorry for interrupting you two," he said sincerely.

You could always tell if Toviel was lying and this was not one of those times. He really was sorry. He really, really was. He just hoped they thought he was as he hugged himself, pulled the sweaters and jackets tighter around him, including the one Ziarre sarcrificed. He glanced to her and looked at her new wounds and watched it was already slowly healing.

"Ziarre, it's time for the ruby," he said softly, not even looking at her but knowing she heard him.

She stood and stretched, reaching down, touching her toes and stretching her arms over her head and cracking her neck and back. She looked at them and then to Toviel, looking around again. She sighed softly, thinking as she looked off into the wounds, trying to find somewhere dense to do what she would need to do.

"Yeah. I'll be back later," she said as she walked off into the woods, fighting something inside herself.

Disappearing into the woods she continued to clutch the ruby as she broke into a fast run, crashing through the undergrowth with snarls and growls not unique to her race. She bolted in, teleporting to the deepest and the darkest of the woods as she sat there, breaking into a cold sweat. The ruby pounded and pusled, finally released from the depths of the ruby a glow spun and wove itself from the jewel, raising to the sky as she let out a gasp. She held her tongue against the pain as her body fell and stretched to a laying position and her stomach arched out as she floated up the ruby raised off her chest. Her eyes were open and blank, void of anything, even the pupil. Only color remained. An orb of the bloodiest of reds converged around her as the barrier cast off the faint smell of blood as soft screams echoed. The barrier swirled around, body parts floating oimnously with the rushing of the red.

Toviel watched as she ran miles off and looked around, not really seeing anything. He saw the hints of red around him and in the forest and hoped Josef and Sougra wouldn't notice. He didn't like when the ruby fed itself. It scared him and it sickened him. He wrapped his arms around him tighter as he looked to Josef and Sougra.

"If you don't mind me asking what are you two?" he asked them, ignoring the hints of maroon and red in the air.

Anonymous

Josef had started to his feet and had his bow half-drawn when Ziarre had taken out the invisible assassin.  He had smelled the assassin, but that wouldn't have been enough for him to target, shoot, and fire from a bow.  He had also half-thought that it was his imagination; that he wasn't totally used to this new form and that it threw his perception off.  However, it had turned out that an enemy had made it into the camp, and nearly had hurt one of his "guests."  He growled softly, angry at himself.  He should have done something...

When Ziarre ran off soon afterwards, Josef considered following, but then decided against it.  She would probably teleport, and she apparently needed her privacy.  Besides, she had left his fireside.  He was no longer obligated to protect her.  He sat back down, and looked over to Toviel as he asked his question.  Blue eyes considered the man for a moment, before Josef spoke.  "I'm...complicated."  He looked away again, off into the starry night sky above.  "And as for Sougra, I'm not sure that I can explain.  You'll have to wait until he can explain for himself."

Looking down again, he caught sight of the body, still sitting in his camp.  He looked at it with disgust, then stood, picked it up, and started off into the woods to leave it a safe distance from his camp.  The body was that of an assassin, and thus did not merit a proper burial, but it would be better to get the animals that would be drawn to such a source of free meat away from the camp where he and his quests would be trying to sleep.  That done, he turned and walked back to his camp.

Rhindeer

Josef wasn't the only one taken off guard.

Sougra gave a yelp of surprise and a jolt of alarm when, suddenly, Ziarre attacked somethingâ€"someoneâ€"behind Toviel that Sougra hadn't been aware of. For that matter...it seemed no one but Ziarre had sensed the invader's presence, and thanks to her, the mysterious stranger was quickly, and messily, dispatched.

Soon after, Ziarre took off with only a few cryptic words to Toviel, and all Sougra could do was stare from the place the bloodied body had been to Toviel to Josef as he returned, amber eyes wide, shocked orbs. He'd never seen someone be killed before. Not even a prey animal, since his pack hadn't yet deemed him old enough to watch a hunt. And if Ziarre hadn't been quick, someone else could have been killed, too, someone closer to them. Sure, he didn't really know Toviel or Ziarre, but they'd been around long enough to be familiar, at least.

The wolf pup shifted uncomfortably. Everyone else but he seemed pretty used to this kind of event, since Toviel and Josef had continued talkingâ€"if only a littleâ€"like nothing had happened after it was all over. But that was assuring, nonetheless. If they were used to this, they knew what to do, and he was safe around them. As if he hadn't already felt safe around Josef.

Sliding closer to Josef, Sougra laid back down, though he kept his head up and ears perked. This situation, with the new people, just got more and more confusing...and weird.

Anonymous

Toviel ran his hands through his disheveled locks of dirty blonde. He let his rough hands continue to run over his face as he looked between Josef and Sougra, eyes still apologetic as he looked at them. He couldn't believe Eyad was sending his minions out and after him - and Ziarre. But he knew Ziarre was safe, that bloodied barrier would protect her, despite how much it hungrily and savagly fed off of the angered and malicious energy the ruby and she both gave off. At least she only to a certain extent. There things no one knew about her, things she didn't want them to know because they shouldn't know. It was her and her alone that would save herself from her palace of hellish webs she had spun. She would save herself. Toviel knew this only because she had once told him, two years ago, that he could not help her. That was before Nara's death. Before his own 'death'. Before the death of his true self as it became corrupted and distorted by the detoriating drugs and liquor he could never pry himself from.

"Well, I hope Eyad just goes after Ziarre. She can fend for herself - he doens't need to involve you two in his idiotic schemes," he murmured.

Ziarre could hear the screams from her past, see the memories and feel the pain. Anger seered her body as she convulsed in air. The ruby pulsed with it's own heartbeat, soaking up the anger as it continued to feed from her being once again. But finally, it halted and so did her suspension. The barrier faded and the ruby fell to her chest and she thudded to the ground, oomping with a soft groan. She sighed and laid there, limp and exhausted. She was tired, her muscles felt like lead in her body, and her eyelids fell over her intense, dark brown eyes. She could only lay there, try to recover before going back to the camp.

Toviel rubbed his square jaw, sitting on the ground still as he looked between the duo, giving a nod. He moved between them, unsure of what to say. Ziarre wasn't here so they could feel free to ask questions. Just as he was too. He thought, scratched his head, shifting as he thought.

"So..." he mumbled, a sigh escaping him.

Anonymous

Josef looked at the other man.  The coward...hiding behind a woman.  He had no respect for Toviel, who seemed to be a drunkard and a fool.  Such a man would never survive in the tundras of Josef's homeland.  What a worthless individual.  He snorted in derision, returning to his own thoughts.  He felt his link to Sougra within his mind, and was struck with apprehension.  What would the elders of his tribe say?  They would probably condemn him for his impetuous action.  Nobody had ever bonded with a sentient creature before...he sighed.  Well, it was too late for regrets now.  He and Sougra were inseperably linked, until one should die.

Looking down at Sougra, he spoke telepathically, <Sougra, I'm sorry, but I will not teach you to shift while these...people remain with us.  I can teach you how to do it, regardless of your emotional state, but I do not want them to see or hear.  This ritual is a sacred part of my tribe...>  He smiled slightly.  <In fact, by taking part in the ritual, you are now technically a member of the tribe by proxy.>  The smile disappeared again.  <But regardless, you must be patient, and wait until they leave.>  He sighed.  <And I hope that they leave soon.>

Rhindeer

As the excitement died down, Sougra became aware of a strange glow cutting through the shadows of the woods, though it was a distant, faint glow. Yellow eyes narrowing, he squinted through the shadows, trying to discern what it was, or if it was just his imagination. He had no luck with the former, but as for the latter...it looked pretty darned real to him. That was weird...he'd never seen anything like that before. But, he also hadn't seen a lot of things, things he had only recently been exposed toâ€"like Josef's magic, and Ziarre's speed. Teleporting, she'd called it...

Turning, he opened his mouth to "speak", but Josef spoke first, though telepathically, and on a completely different thread. Yeah...I know. You're right, and I understand. They... He glanced toward Toviel. I don't know what to think of them...so many strange things are happening now, like...like that light! You see it, right? The reddish glow? Hopefully, it wasn't just him. Do you see it? What is it?

There was a hint of worry in his voice, though that worry and fear was far less than it would have been had he been on his own. He felt safe near Josef, and assured that all would be well. Even among strangers who spoke of dangerous things, who were followed by dangerous things. He wanted them to leave, too, so he could learn to shift and so that, well...so that he didn't have to worry about some creature attacking them in the night. But, then, that was probably wrong of him, too, since those people were in danger. He knew better than to wish ill upon anyone, even if they were too stubborn to accept help when it was offered to them.

Anonymous

The pain in her body caused her eyes to blur as she opened them. She had wanted so bad to look at the sky. But her eyes shut against the bubbled world. Ziarre moaned and pushed herself from the ground, her muscles like lead in her body. She picked up the cold and lifeless jewel against her chest and looked at it. She wished this stone.. she wished she could destroy it but she couldn't. Her soul embedded within she'd very well kill herself. She weaved, just slightly, as she lifted herself upon her feet. Her brown eyes flashed as she wobbled, teetering, on the brink of falling over. No one could know her secrets. No one could know.. but compared to these people, compared to the people of the world she had no right to say her past was bad, no matter how disliked it.

Toviel watched them with a curiousity and bright eyes of a small child. He watched them and knew they were linked somehow. They were linked in one way or another. He guessed - maybe they just understood eachother considering Josef was an unusual being. But Toviel had met so many shifters, and two teleporters in his life time. The one teleporter he knew was his sole guardian and the other - her ex to put it lightly. And also one of her enemies. But he only showed up when he wanted a fight and with all truth him and Ziarre had gotten into a light. But being teleporters, it was like fighting yourself.

"Heh.. heh," before Ziarre even appeared he didn't have to look. He had lived with her too long to not know. "You okay?" He asked bluntly and to what seemed as nothing.

She appeared, first holographic until solidfying in a standing position. Her legs were braced as she looked at Josef and then to Sougra and to Toviel. She didn't want to bother them - even Toviel - she'd rather run and never look back. She continued to look between them, as if connecting the dots. She shifted, looking at them. But Ziarre staggered and she felt her body tilt forward. She shifted to keep her balance, but with her momentum she teleported her spear into her head, flicking her wrist in such a way that it extended as she stabbed it into the ground. She leaned against it, the blade digging deeper into the ground.

"Did I ever tell you earlier that I'm 'sorry' to disturb you two?" She wasn't sorry, but regretful or something.

"Toviel. Fine. Want to know the truth? I'm not okay," she snapped.

The slashes that had gone unhealed and untended were infected and her forehead was beaded with sweat. Now, a teleporter is stronger than humans, but even the strongest of animals cannot stand tall for long. With that ruby around her neck it hindered, greatly, her species healing abilities. And at the moment, she wished her body would heal itself. With the ruby she knew it was unlikely. She'd heal faster than a human, but slower than her species. And it was beginning to make her very angry. She growled to herself and pushed herself back into a stand. She could have swore she was fine! She lifted her metal spear from the ground a flicked her wrist, it retracting into itself into a compact, clublike weapon. Where she had come from... it was well, a specialty. She slipped it into a long pouch tied around her waist and she shifted.

"C'mon. Time to get goin'," she said flatly to Toviel.

Anonymous

Josef nodded to Sougra.  <Yes, I see the glow.  Something's going on out there...>  He squinted.  The light was the same shade as the ruby had given off earlier.  <...and I think that it has something to do with our missing guest.>  Well, to hell with her.  Ungrateful, proud, arrogant...ergh!  She had left the bounds of his fire, she was no longer his responsibility.  He frowned, then shook his head.  No, he wasn't going to investigate.

However, it seemed that whatever happened to her didn't kill her, as she returned a short while later.  She seemed wounded, but again, the injuries had occurred outside of his fire, so they weren't his responsibilty.  She didn't want his help, she won't get his help.  If she is so intent on being independent, so be it.  Seeing that the two were preparing to leave, he nodded curtly.  "I cannot say that I am entirely sorry to see you leave, but may your feet take you swiftly down whatever path go follow until you reach its end."  He bowed formally, seeming comfortable on his digitigrade feet.

Rhindeer

Whoaaa...

Sougra couldn't help but stare as Ziarre made that long, strong spear turn into an object small enough to slip into her pocket. How'd she do that!? Never mond that she was angry and scary right now...that was still a pretty nifty trick. Either that, or Sougra was just young and easily amazed, filled with wonder at the simplest, most explainable of things. Indeed, he was still a pup and easily influenced and awed. And, on top of all that, her teleporter abilities, though he never actually witnessed her appearanceâ€"he never seemed to be looking in the right spot when she did thatâ€"was even better.

But...it was also a relief to know they would continue on their way. They brought with them negativity and death, and both those elements made him uncomfortable and...confused. And gave off a feeling of being, well, unsafe.

Still, he hoped they'd be okay, regardless. It wasn't all their fault...right? Though, that woman's moodiness certainly was. How could someone be angry and stubborn like that all the time? It didn't seem like life would be very pleasant that way...

Maybe it was because Sougra was so young and had experienced so little, but he couldn't see any reasons to become so...imbittered. Life was full of wonderful things! Sure, they were being hunted...but it wasn't like they couldn't get help. It wasn't like they hadn't been offered...

He looked up at Josef as he said his goodbyes, inwardly curious as to why he didn't fix the woman's wounds like he had before. But, he didn't question him. They all had their own reasons. He'd learned that much from this strange encounter.

Anonymous

Ziarre arched an eyebrow at Josef, a slender eyebrow arched over a brown, dark eye. She shifted and straightened and glanced to Toviel. She sighed and then looked back to Josef, then to Toviel. She was processing something, but what was it? It was the mere fact she'd put her problems on them. It made her so furious at herself! She was doing absolutely what she hated but as time went on the attacks grew worse. She'd have to apologize.. and say... thank you. She ground her teeth together and then forced out the words.

"I'm sorry for intruding on you and thank you for letting Toviel share your fire," her cheek twitched with the flow of words she rarely spoke.

"Toviel, let's get going. Have to find a decent spot for you," she responded as she waved him over to her.

Toviel stood and pushed himself into a stand, looking at Josef and Sougra and grinned happily and waved.

"Good bye and good luck to ya'll," he spoke as he rested a hand lightly on Ziarre's shoulder.

Ziarre's eyes lit with a soft maroon as they disappeared, to them the world roaring away in a toss of blackness as the suffocating tunnel engulfed them to send them off to wherever Ziarre's mind had wandered too. Be it the tundra or a quaint village, they'd be there in seconds flat.

Anonymous

Josef sighs, relaxing slightly now that the two are gone.  "Well, Sougra, I can't say that I'm not relieved to have them gone."  He looks down at his lupine form.  "I'm afraid, however, that until I can get over my earlier anger, I will be unable to shift to another form."  He sighed again.  "My apologies.  I would like to show you how to shift as soon as possible, though recent events have made that impossible."

Rhindeer

Sougra blinked, the couple gone. . .just like that. He'd know the female could teleport herself, but hadn't known she could take people with her. Strange. . .really strange.

Of course, in retrospect, he imagined someone out there might think his kind were strange, too. After all, as he was gradually learning, there was more to the world than his pack; the world was full of diversity. Not everything was pleasant, as he'd learned during his stay in the village. But. . .there was good out there, too, and that teleporter female. . .how could you go through life so bitter and mean?

Oh well. . .they were gone, now, so wondering was pointless.

Yet, the fact that he and Josef were alone again didn't upset him a bit. Finally, they couldâ€"

. . .Or not.

It's okay, Sougra said as Josef apologized, trying not to sound too disappointed. Then, on a happier note, decided to change the subject. Hey, that would help them both, right? Do you like being able to be a wolf, too? Sougra asked curiously, peering up at the wolfish Josef with curious amber eyes. You can be a wolf and a cat now! Unfortunately, he didn't know the correct terminology for Josef's other form; snow leapards weren't exactly common here, and he'd only seen cats in the village. That's pretty cool! I bet not many people can do that, huh?