Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

She sells seashells... [open!]

Started by Rhindeer, May 04, 2013, 03:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

Narron grabbed her waist, and Koi's eyes lit up.

"We're gonna fly?" she repeated, and her heart lurched. She'd never flown before (cliff-dived? Surfed? Yes!), but rather than scare her, the idea thrilled her. With a grin, she wrapped her arms around the man's neck and clasped her hands to ensure a secure grip. While she knew the situation was serious, people potentially being in trouble and all, it was difficult keeping a sober expression, and she tried and failed to smooth away her smile.

"Fantastic! You ever done this before? Carry people?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Winters-Feather

"Yes, naturally," Narron replied. He couldn't help but to broadly grin.
He enjoyed giving rides to others because it made them so happy. However, he did not think that whatever they were about to see was going to be very happy, but he decided not to ruin the sensation for Koi just yet.
"Ready?" asked Narron as he bent his knees, and suddely he launched himself up into the air, his powerful wings flapping loudly. They rose higher and higher, straight up. He shifted their position so that they were flying horizontally now.

"Look down," Narron advised Koi. "Don't worry, though. I've got you."
Below them was the beach and the boundless ocean. Below them also was the giant rock wall and beyond that, the mysterious cove, but  it was not mermaids or other people like them at the jagged rocks. Instead, a giant boat was crashed against them and set ablaze. A mermaid wailed as sirens swarmed, searching for a lost soul to claim. Narron took in a sharp breath.
"There might still be some that are alive," he muttered.

Rhindeer

Even bold and brave as she tended to be (or maybe that was just daredevil recklessness), nothing could have prepared her for the sensation of flight and, despite herself, she gasped and clung tighter to his neck. She was a little embarrassed to admit that she closed her eyes, like her first time cliff-jumping on a dare, as her stomach lurched from the force of gravity and the air rushed passed her. And then she held tight when she felt them shift positions in the air, and could swear that for an instant her heart stopped.

When Narron spoke, she cracked her eyes open. Wind was rushing passed them, making her eyes water a little, but she turned her head and looked. There was an initial jolt of surprise at how high they were, and so quickly, and the fleeting thought that if they fell they wouldn't survive. But the instinctual fear soon gave way to wonder. She could practically see the entire island!

"Beautiful," she breathed, delighted. "You get to this all the time? Sooo not fair!" Why couldn't she have been born with wings, too?

But the wonder didn't last long. Another, grimmer sight came into view.

Koi grimaced, and couldn't even appreciate that Narron hadn't been lying about the size of the boats.

"We'll have to hurry if there are," she said. "Look at the sirens..."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Winters-Feather

"Yes,"  Narron muttered. 
He had to check, there was no time to not do anything otherwise, but at the same time he did not want to put Koi's life in danger. He gently carried Koi down to the the top of the rock wall.
"Stay here," he said  with a frown as he gently put her down.
"I can't carry you there, it's too dangerous!"

Before she could argue, Narron bolted for the ship. He circled around it a couple of times. The amount of smoke alarmed him- he had never seen a fire so large before. The smoke was overwhelming. He jerked in midair, covering his mouth as he violently coughed, his eyes watering.
"HELLO?" he bellowed. 
But there was nothing. Nothing alive, except a shadow moved past Narron's vision and  a loud splash and shrieks rang out.

Narron zoomed to the starboard side of the ship, where two sirens were  dragging a body.
"NO!" he shouted as he flew in. The sirens hissed at the man, but Narron grabbed firmly to the limp body, roared like a lion, and flapped his giant wings. Narron was not a frightening man, but he somehow fooled the sirens into *thinking* he was for just a moment before he yanked at the body and flew back up towards Koi. He settled the body next to her before sitting off at the side, hacking up his lungs.

"It's awful," he muttered, wiping the sweat off his brow. He turned to look at the person he had taken out of the water.

The sailor in question was pale skinned, their flesh suffering from burns on the neck and right shoulder. They had long blonde hair, tall, and  appeared to be a woman.
"Is she alive?" he asked Koi, looking out towards the water again.
"I should go back..." he said, though Narron had a gut feeling it was useless.

Rhindeer

"But--!" Koi started to protest, but it was too late. Narron was airborne, and Koi could do little but watch helplessly as he took off to circle the wreckage...

It was hard to make out much from her vantage point; the smoke was too thick, the scene too chaotic. But even as she watched, she knew his decision was the right one. If she had gone down there, she would have been drowned. She was a powerful swimmer, but that would do her no good against the sirens, who would knock her into the water and dash her against the rocks.

As it looked like they were about to do to some poor sailor.

Narron! she shouted in her head, chewing her thumbnail in anxiety, because she knew he wouldn't hear her out loud. But just when it looked like the sailor was dead, he swooped in and grabbed the sailor.

Thank the spirits, she thought as he returned, and she backed up to give him and his precious cargo space.

"Are ya okay? You're not hurt?" she asked, first looking him over, and then blinking down at the woman. She didn't look okay.

She didn't look like she was breathing.

With a startled curse, Koi dropped to her knees beside her, felt her neck for life, and then, pinching the woman's nose shut, began to blow hard into her mouth, hoping to return some life to her.

Winters-Feather

The woman sputtered, violently heaving up watery vomit and ash. She fluttered her eyes open for a  brief moment and muttered something unintelligent to herself before passing out once more.
Narron returned, his body and wings covered in ash.
"Let's go, " he said, coughing, a sad look in his eye.
He felt weighed down by the ship wreck. Nothing. There was nothing left but this lone survivor.
He  lifted the woman in his arms.
"Koi, climb onto my back and wrap your arms around my neck," he instructed.  They'd be slow, but he  could not bring himself to leave either women on the rocks for another moment longer.

Rhindeer

Koi's shoulders slouched in relief when the woman breathed, but she didn't relax for long. With a nod at Narron, she climbed to her feet and moved around to his back. There was no time to waste; they needed to get out of here and get that woman tended to, because though she was alive, she wasn't yet out of danger. Though she didn't look injured, there could be internal injuries, too.

Moving carefully between Narron's wings, Koi wrapped her arms around his neck and hung on, bracing herself for flight.

"You're gonna be okay?" she asked. "This isn't gonna be too heavy? 'Cause if it is, I can wait! That girl, she's the priority here. So if you gotta, take her first, alright?" She glared out at the sirens in the distance. "I can handle a couple feathery hags."

Winters-Feather

Narron frowned, not much liking the idea of Koi fighting sirens.
"You can't," he simply said as he took off with both women in tow.
It was a slow and painful flight. Koi was right in that he was stretching his limits. He had never tried to fly with two people before, and though the fisherman was very, very strong, the distribution of weight was uncomfortable. He took deep breaths as he held the unconscious woman close to him, taking faith that Koi knew to cling for her life. He concentrated on the safety of the beach.

He landed hard and fell over, the woman tumbling out of his arms.
Narron groaned, cursing his clumsiness.
"Koi!" he exclaimed, coughing out sand.
Nevermind his aching bones, the women were more important.

Malakath Grimm

(The thread said open, hoping it still applies)
Azerius had watched the whole thing unfold from his position further down the beach, where he emerged from his portal a meter in each direction the sand beneath it turned to glass. He approached the couple with the unconscious woman as he said simply "Your lady friend seems to be in a bit of trouble, would you like some assistance with her?"

He looked at the two of them and waited for an answer, but he did look out of place, wearing blood red plate mail on a beach, and his skin seemed so pale on his unhelmeted face as he spoke, wind blowing his long white hair inland as if pointing to it, he smiled and bowed "Azerius, glad to make your acquaintances"

Rhindeer

Indeed, Koi did know to cling for her life, and cling she did! Or at least she did until Narron crash landed in the soft sand, sending her and the other woman sprawling.

For a moment, Koi just lay there face down in the damp sand, which she was covered in. She hadn't been injured in the fall save for a little bruising, but her limbs were sore and tired from holding on so tightly, and for a few seconds she just didn't have the energy to do more than that as she got her bearings. Finally, though, she lifted up onto her elbows and shook her hair from her face, and spit out salty sand. Served her right for not keeping her mouth shut!

"Blech! Ugh...I'm over here, Narron," she called, and started to wipe sand from her face and eyes before she realized that would be a bad idea when her hands were as sandy as the rest of her. It would be a fantastic way to grind sand into her eyes, though! "Ow. Ya really gotta work on your landing--oh!"

The other woman!

Looking around, Koi spotted her laying face up in the sand a few feet away. With a grunt, Koi crawled to her and checked her over to make sure she was still breathing, and that no bones had been broken in the tumble. "Oh...whew...she's still okay." She paused, reconsidered, and added, "Well, okay as she can be now. Not so sure how okay she'll be when she wakes."

Considering she had lost all her people...

"Spirits, Narron, what are we--"

But before she could finish her sentence, a person was suddenly there! A tall one, wearing red armor with strange skin and hair!

It was so unexpected, so sudden, and he looked so out of place--not to mention she couldn't understand a word he spoke!--that Koi cut off with a yelp and grabbed the woman. "Narron!"

Winters-Feather

Narron coughed, clutching his chest. He needed water, and smelt like smoke.
"Sorry," he replied as he rose to his feet, rolling his shoulders. His body ached all over, too! He looked over at Koi, but something in the distance caught his eye. He stared at the approaching figure, his mouth agape. Someone... had climbed out of the sand. Were they a spirit ?! At Koi's squel, he rushed to stand in front of the women. If he had to fight...

But the spirit seemed friendly. It looked human, too. Narron stared nervously at the armor. Help. The figure was offering them help?
"No," Narron quickly said before changing his mind. He shook his head, vigorously. His knowledge of Common suddenly  failed him, due to the state of shock.
"Yes. Yes please. Come. This way. We take you... our house," he clumsily replied.
He turned to Koi.
"He wants to help," he said rapidly in their language. "I don't know if we can trust him. I don't know if he came with her. I don't know.... Let me."

Narron bent to pick up the unconscious woman, carrying her carefully in his arms. He turned towards the newcomer as he began to trudge across the beach.
"You are from the ship?" he asked Azerius, cautiously.

Malakath Grimm

Azerius smiled as he realise his error when Marron spoke to Koi and instantly switched languages perfectly "No I'm not from the ship, I am but a humble observer, come to offer my help if I can, but honestly you both need attention too, that was some landing is all." Azerius was smiling, he had a strange way of indoctrination if he could, he would often befriend his potential cultists, and this Narron thought he was a spirit.

Azerius followed as requested, smiling but looking at the three, weighing them up, observing their damage, Narron put out his shoulder,  Koi was bruised and the woman was unconscious, slung over Narron he could see that she had broken ribs and a broken arm, maybe a fractured skull seeing as she was unconscious but that was all. Azerius spoke to the pair "So who are you both? Koi and Narron I got but who are you to society?"

Rhindeer

Koi stuck close to Narron and shot uneasy looks at the red man. Where had he even come from? He had come out of nowhere, and that was what startled her more than anything. Was he even human?

But...he knew their language?

She felt herself relax a little when he began to speak their tongue, though, because there was something comforting about being able to understand someone. Especially since his words were far from hostile; they were helpful, concerned even. Though his last question was a little strange. Who were they to society?

"Uh..."

Koi tossed the man a look from over her shoulder, brow knit with confusion. She thought she understood what he meant: what was their role in society, their job. But for her, that was a difficult question to answer, because she never had found her place.

"I, uh...I surf?" she offered up sheepishly.

Winters-Feather

Narron took in a sharp breath at the sudden switch of language. Not many bothered to learn their tongue.
"Your Yoreiqi is very... good," Narron hesitantly said.
Very few foreigners actually spoke it fluently, such as this one, who was dressed most impractically.  He didn't bother humoring the spirits  question, too focused on the nature of the emergency.  What did their jobs have to do with anything? Narron smelled like fish. It was obvious what he did! Still, too polite to actually ignore the spirit, he managed a reply.
"I am not important, right now," he said. "What may we call you? The village is not far. They will be glad to welcome you, so long as you carry no weapons."

Narron looked down at the woman he cradled in his arms. She had let out a soft groan. Was she starting to rouse? That might be a good sign. Narron started to walk faster.

Malakath Grimm

Azerius smiled and gave a curt bow "My name is Azerius, pleasure to make your acquaintances" he smiled as he carried on, considering he pulls his weapons from his body, he just looked like a big, handsome gentleman wearing clothes I'll suited to the environment, not that he could feel it, he felt he had to explain it since they were giving him funny looks "I apologise my attire doesn't fit the usual clothing, I just feel a little more protected wearing this". This felt strange for him since his armour was his skin, but he couldn't tell them that, people generally don't respond well to being near demons.

He smiled at the one named Narron as he said "I apologise for frightening you with the language change, I'm quite good with languages honestly." He smiled at the two of them but then grew concerned "But I'm not important right now, this woman needs help". It was strange because he could heal her pretty easily, but that may set people on edge.

Rhindeer

Koi gave Azerius an odd look. "Protected from what?" she asked, eying the weapons he carried uneasily. True, there were many large beasts lurking in the jungles, but the armor and weapons seemed like overkill here, on the beach. Unless he planned on hunting sharks? In which case, that heavy armor would have him sinking, and he didn't even have the right weapons for that. Or a boat, from the looks of it.

It was possible he'd been hunting, of course, but...that had to be hot, wearing all that.

"You're safe here. No one's gonna attack you. Oh!"

The woman groaned, and Koi turned her attention back to she and Narron. "Is she awake?"

Winters-Feather

Narron pursed his lips at the mention of the weapons. He didn't know what to make out of those strange handles, and he didn't really see any swords, but he supposed they WERE weapons. He was trusting this stranger less and less.
"I mean not to offend, friend, but weapons like that aren't allowed on the island," he pointed out, slowly. "Your knowledge of our language is perfect. You must've had a good teacher. They would be glad to see you again. Surely they would have taught you this custom. And Koi's right, except sometimes sirens come near the shore..."
Narron couldn't help but to grin.
"But I don't think you're planning on going swimming in that," he pointed out.

He shook his head at Koi's question.
"No, not yet," he replied. He was wrong. The woman half opened her eyes and muttered something in Common. Though Narron was no doctor, he could see the delirium in her pale green eyes. She fell back asleep. In the distance, Narron could make out smoke from large cooking fires and the gleeful shouts of children and neighbors greeting each other. Narron was grateful for the comfort of its familiarity.
"Koi, run ahead," he urged. "Find a healer. Get the elders. They'd want to know about this."

Malakath Grimm

Azerius smiled at the  pair and said calmly and upbeat "My apologies or my weapons, they are purely for self defense and deterring though I must say, I can discard the weapons if you'd like, but anywhere can be dangerous, bandits, highwayman, they're all going to avoid me if I draw these?".

He frowned "I do suppose that the counter blow to that is it sets the more genuine people on edge ... Give me a moment" with that he disappeared behind a tree and took out his swords, putting them together as pressing his hand into the tree, emitting a miasma into it that hollowed it out, placing the swords in it and hoping nobody saw his magic since he'd done his best to hide it. He returned to Marron and said "The swords will be fine there for now, and it should let people be a little calmer about me, speaking of which, do you want me to carry her for a while, you've carried her for a while now." He held his arms out and awaited for an answer, not completely expecting to hand off the girl but hoping that he could build trust a bit more by doing so

Rhindeer

Koi nodded at Narron, pausing only because she was uncertain whether she should leave him with this stranger or not. But the village wasn't far, and the stranger, while odd as most visitors were, seemed harmless, so she touched his arm and gave his shoulder a reassuring squeeze.

"I'll be back as soon as I can," she said, and sprinted off across the sand, making a beeline back to the village.

Winters-Feather

Narron nodded at Koi.
"Thank you," he said.
He listened politely to the stranger, though kept his distance. He arched his brow, some of the words simply not translating into the language.
"Bandits? Highwayman?" he muttered. He didn't know what the words meant, but he had a feeling that this man wasn't familiar with the people of the island at all. He shook his head at the offer.

"No, thank you," Narron politely replied.  Though his body was sore, he simply didn't trust the spirit with the iron suit. It was strange, for Narron wasn't generally this skeptical, but the spirit made a queer sight.
Who was this spirit that walked with him? And who was the woman in his arms? Why had her ship burned? These mysteries made Narron's head hurt, so he talked no more for the rest of the way.

Tags: