Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Silly Merman! Trix are for kids! [Moved from old forums]

Started by Anonymous, April 30, 2005, 09:04:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

KHONA

As they walked about the village, Khona of course walking rather awkwardly--a definite sight to see!--as he just followed behind Questa. He was simply horrified by the sudden freezing sensation lacing up his bare arms.

"Is your home always so cold?" Khona asked, not knowing what to do to stop the cold from hitting his skin. Where were they going, anyways?

"Does Chailyn live here?" Khona asked as they passed by a few houses, all looking like potential places where Chailyn might live, or anyone really. They had windows and a door like the homes in Khona's kingdom did, though no one seemed to be travelling through the windows... That would be a bit hard, though.. The wind was not very kind.

QUESTA

Questa shook her head, the few blood red strands of hair that weren't tucked beneath her bandana falling into her eyes with the motion. "Nah, not all the time. Only in the winter, an' it's winter now. Shouldn't last too much longer, tho'," she explained. "And nope...if Chailyn lives here--which she prob'ly does--I dunno which house'd be her's. I didn't know 'er 'til I met ya, you see."

She saw how Khona was shivering, and quickened her pace just a little as a clothing shop came into view, and she motioned for Khona to follow her inside. She knew he would have no idea what to look for, so she went about choosing his clothes for him, grinning to herself. He was gonna be one good looking, well dressed man by the time she was through with him...

She made sure to also pick out a long, warm overcoat for him, now and then glancing over at him to estimate his size, and a few times actually walking over to him to hold a garment of clothing up against him. When she was finished, she walked over to the seller, and fished in her pockets for the coins Khona had given her.

"Will that be all?" the seller asked as she presented the pile of clothing to him.

"Yep. So, how much am I in for?"

She grinned amusedly to herself as the seller blinked, apparently taken aback by her feminine voice. After all, with the way she dressed and acted, most tended to mistake her for a pretty young boy, and even after hearing her voice, some tended to just assume she was a young man with a high voice--all terribly amusing scenarios for Questa, who couldn't care less what people thought! But, then he recovered, and after naming the price, Questa presented him with an amount of gold coins that she figured would cover the cost, and then some, and grinned again at his surprised expression.

How fun!

"Hey, can we use yer dressing room? As y'can see...he needs some decent clothes fast, heh. Problem with traveling bandits, y'see. Nasty buggers." She gave a rueful sigh, and at the man's nod, pulled Khona over and into the dressing room without warning...and went inside the room with him, too.

An action which made the poor shop owner terribly confused.

But, after all, if Khona didn't even understand the need for clothes, how was he supposed to know how to actually dress himself? She didn't want him walking out there with his smallclothes on his head and his shirt around his legs!

"Now, we just got to getcha all dressed up! I think I got the right sizes for ya...but we'll find out. Now, take of that coat and put these on. One leg goes through each hole, and then ya gotta pull 'em up so they're around yer hips," she told him, handing him his smallclothes. "Then there's this shirt--isn't it nice--and these breeches? And I gotcha a nice warm coat so ya won't freeze! Oh! Yer gonna look so handsome when we're done with ya!"

Questa wasn't one to enjoy girlish games, such as dress-up, even when she was small, but man...this was fun! She was getting to dress up a live person--and a good looking man, no less! Muahah...if dress-up had always been like this...she would have been its biggest fan.

KHONA

Khona's eyes remained wide as Questa busied herself in the store, grabbing materials and all that. Well, the store was warmer, at least! He had trouble standing still and was constantly wobbling and grabbing whatever he could find to stop himfrom falling. Once he grabbed a coat that was on a gigh rack and everything came tumbling down. Khona was stunned and scuttled out of the mess before the shopkeeper and began to, rather angrily, get everything back together.

"Whoa--" Khona began as Questa grabbed him and shut the door of the dressing room. It was rather small...

"Everything?" He asked slowly, looking over what seemed like a mound of clothes in her hands. He could hardly walk with this shirt on his legs and that didn't seem that bad but all this? Humans were such finicky creatures!

He did as she asked, taking off the shirt he had been wearing as pants and was fully naked once again. He preferred this to wearing their clothes--in the sea he wore nothing, why must he wear so much here?

Alas, he was here to see their world so he would have to try his best to behave as they did.

Putting pants on was no easy task. As he tried to get one leg in he began to hop around on one foot--much to his horror and confusion--until he finally fell down, still almost completely naked except for the pants he had bearly touching one leg! Well, this was easier! He got both legs through, but then there was the element of getting it up to his waist... He'd had to stand up again.

Letting go of the waist of his pants to struggled to get up (grabbing anything in the room he could find to held him) then got them up--but they wouldn't stay!--"Questa? It doesn't stay." He said, looking down at his pants. What was the shiny thing at the top? Was that a part of it? Maybe it went together? It was all so confusing!

QUESTA

Questa nearly fell over herself, but from laughter. Oh man, this was great! This was absolutely hilarious. She was hardly able to contain herself long enough to help him. "Ahaha...Khona...ya gotta tie the laces and button 'em..." she sniggered, helping him pull his pants up and around his waist and taking it upon herself to do up the laces and button his breeches. "Heh heh...I'll haveta teach ya how to do this yerself later...I can't go around doing 'em up for ya alla time--not in public, at least, heh. Alright, now yer shirt...raise yer arms."

She raised up the shirt she had chosen and plopped it over his head, pulling it down and lacing his arms through the appropriate openings. Which was a bit difficult, as the stall was tiny and Khona was wobbly, and she bumped into the sides quite a lot. "Oh! Dang! Shoes! We needa getcha some boots, too!" Questa remembered suddenly in the midst of dressing him. We'll take care of that once yer clothed."

Meanwhile, the shopkeeper was quite disturbed by the sounds coming from within, but pretended not to notice. Best not to ask...

KHONA

Khona, with the shirt and pants on, tried to move his arms. It felt wierd. Why would these beings want to wear something that prevents you from moving your arms fully? He didn't want to ask. He was beginning to feel a bit embarassed. Out in the open, with humans and being laughed at. This wasn't something he'd ever really experienced before. No one ever laughed at someone else's ignorence in the sea, it was just all so calm and soothing.

He tried to grab the coat and felt it was soft. He took it in his arms and analyzed it. "What made this?" He asked, lifting the sleeves and finding the pockets. The soft material on the inside was rather comforting.

"What is choos?" He asked when she started to talk about it. Maybe it was another riddle like in the Inn. He hoped it wasn't!

QUESTA

"Oh, it's wool," she explained. "It comes from sheep, this one animal...ah, it don't hurt the sheep, so don'tcha worry. And shoes are things that go on yer feet," she told him, lifting her leg slightly and pointing to the boot covering her foot. "They protect yer feet, an' yer gonna need 'em, cold as it is. Won't be long 'fore yer toes freeze if ya go long without 'em. An' you'll get funny looks, anyhow."

She stepped back away from him for a moment, looking him over, now and then reaching out to adjust his clothes where he needed it. Finally satisfied, she grinned. "Heh, lookin' very good, Khona!" she complimented. "Very nice, indeed. Well, now that's done, we'd best get yer shoes!"

That said, she pushed back the curtain door of the changing room and led him out. "Now, to go to the shoemaker's..."

KHONA

Khona looked down at his own feet which were, oddly enough, beautiful. He'd never had them until a few days ago, yet they were just.. perfect. Perhaps it was nature's way of accumulating the beauty he had as a merman by giving him such perfect human features--but then again, most of his body was beautiful as a merman or human. Nature was very kind to the holders of the sea.

He then looked at Questa's feet. They had a materil over them. He crouched down and ended up on his rump as he touched the shoes, having never noticed them before. They weren't soft like the coat he was now wearing. He liked this coat. "Does it hurt?" He asked, glancing up at Questa and, slowly but surely, regaining his footing and walking alongside her (with a bit of difficulty and some funny looks from passerbyers) as he wondered more about these shoes.

Gyah! She was right. This white frozen water felt horriblypainful against his feet if he stayedin one place for long! Nips of frostbite, probably, but Khona just took it as a bad omen from the earth. Indeed, mermen were never meant to walk as humans...

QUESTA

Questa tried not to laugh as he fell onto his rear while examining her boots."Heh heh, no, it don't hurt a bit. Well, unless ya buy 'em a size too small for some reason, but we won't be doin' that. They fit like a second skin, and'll warm yer feet up in no time."

His feet must be aching by now, though, luckily, the shoe-maker's shop was now in view. But geez, she couldn't imagine walking around barefoot in the snow. Hell, she hated snow as it was. She hated cold weather in general. She would much rather be somewhere warm and clear, out by the ocean--or on the ocean. But, well...those days seemed over. At least for the time being, until she ran into others of her, ah...trade.

"Ah! Here we are, Khona!" Questa announced as they approached the shop and she led him inside. Shortly after entering, they were approached by the shoe-maker herself, a stout middle-aged woman, and Questa explained to her what they were looking for.

"Alright, I'll need to take some measurements, first, then," the woman said, looking at Khona while pointing over at a stool. "Just have a seat there, lad."

KHONA

Khona looked rather puzzled when he was asked to take a seat. He didn't quite understand. Though, he didn't understand much of what was said anyways--they either spoke too fast or used english he'd never been taught.

He looked at Questa, then around them and to his relief heard a man ask a woman to take a seat at the woman simply sat down on the chair he had motioned to. With a smile, Khona did the same. He saw the shoemaker looked over his bare feet.

Khona felt rather uncomfortable, wondering exactly what was in store for him now. He had liked shopping for the clothes he now wore. The wool coat was very soft, though he was not a fan of pants. He was used to having a tailfin!

QUESTA

When the shoemaker had finished taking measurements, she looked up at Khona. "Alright...now, what kinda shoes would ya like? We've got some--"

"He'll take some boots," Questa cut in, making the shoemaker look at her oddly. After all, she had expected the customer to speak for himself, and must have found it odd for some woman to make his decisions for him. "He's...ah...a foreigner. He don't know the language here, yet. I speak fer 'im," Questa added, and the shoemaker nodded in understanding and rose to fetch a pair of boots that would meet Khona's size requirements.

After a while, she returned with a sturdy brown pair, and Questa paid for them. Then, to the shoemaker's confusion, Questa bent to get Khona's new boots on his feet and lace them. "He comes from warmer parts...they wear sandals there, never boots. Gotta teach 'im."

Lame excuses, but they seemed to appease the confusion!

"Alright, Khona, let's go. How they feel?" she asked when she was finished.

KHONA

"Yes I do." Khona said to Questa when she said he didn't know the language. He didn't understand why she was lying to the woman. Well, sure he wasn't as good as she was at speaking it, but he was pretty good!

The shoes felt so awkward and wierd on his feet. It as like being trapped. "They're heavy," Khona said, lifting his feet and putting them back donw with a clunk. "Are they all heavy?" He asked. Maybe it was because he was not used to wearing such things...

QUESTA

Oi...he HAD to blow her plan! Now the woman was looking at her even more oddly!

"Ahah...imagine that. 'E's a quick learner."

How lame was that? Oh well...

Taking Khona by the arm, she quickly began to lead him out, and she felt the woman's confused gaze on her back. Oh well. Not like she ever had to see the woman again in her life.

"Yer just not used to 'em, I'll bet. They weight th' same as mine. Gotta build up those leg muscles of yours, it seems!"

KHONA

"Goodbye!" Khona shouted as he was pulled out of the shop. He had heard people say that when they left... Sounded about right to him.

"Build up?" Khona asked. "What's wrong with my legs?" He added, trying to look at them but his pants covered them. Acting like a human as a lot more work than he'd ever thought possible!

QUESTA

Questa nearly doubled over laughing. Khona's worried expression was priceless!

"Ahahaha! No, no, Khona! Nothin's wrong wth yer legs! I just meant yer leg muscles are weak right now, prob'ly, because you've never used 'em before. Nothin' ta worry about. They'll get stronger with use. Now, Khona...er...ya might wanna stop actin' like ya just discovered ya have legs. I know it's true, but, er...you'll attract attention."

In fact, he already had.

Some passing people were eyeing him oddly...and it was really no wonder why.

"Hrm...mayhap we should move on, eh? So, Khona, whatcha wanna do?"

KHONA

Khona smiled as Questa laughed, not sure if it was at him or just out of happiness. He hoped it wasn't at him, but he couldn't understand much from this way of life and a lot of his responses to Questa were from half understanding exactly what was going on.

"Show me where you live." He said, not fully understanding what she had wanted him to say, but knowing they were moving onto a new thing to see. Aside from where Questa lived, he was getting rather hungry, but was afraid to see exactly what humans ate.

QUESTA

"Where I live?" She shook her head, chuckling softly. "Heh, I don't really live anywhere, Khona. I'm a traveller. Not a year ago, I used to live on a ship--but then it was wrecked. Since then, I've been a wanderer..."

Hopefully, that would change one day, though. She had dreams of returning to the seas. How, she didn't know, as she had not the funds, but that didn't stop her from dreaming any less.

KHONA

Khona's eyes lighted up as he heard a familiar word. Ship. He'd heard humans from the beaches say the word, and humans from boats use it. He feared those on boats for the fact that it had been those people who had captured him and killed his best friend. It wasn't a pleasent thought, not one he enjoyed recollecting.

Furthermore, he didn't know what this made Questa. He wasn't sure what a ship was, but he knew it incorperated the ocean.

"You live near ocean?" He asked inquisitively. He wondered if she had lived near where he had--above water, of course--perhaps he had seen her?

QUESTA

She grinned, noting the way his eyes lit up. Ah, so he recognized the word? Looks like they'd found some common ground!

"Well, when I was on the ship I lived on the ocean," she told him, pride filling her voice. "We sailed everywhere. Well, almost everywhere. Saw lotsa things. Hell, we might've even seen you 'n' yer folk. I know there were quite a lotta guys who claimed they saw mermaids, but most of us just thought that was the booze talkin'...or a side-effect of seasickness, for the delicate ones. Heh...I really dunno if I believe in ya guys or not--I was open to the possibility, just never thought I'd actually meet one, y'know?"

She rubbed the back of her neck thoughtfully. "Erm, but, anyway, I digress. Right now...no, I don't live by the ocean. 'Fraid I'm a landlubber for now."

Her grin widened slightly in amusement. Whoops. She almost forgot about the whole language barrier thing...now she wondered how much of that he actually understood.

KHONA

Khona stared blankly at Questa while she spoke, catching one a few words every now and then. He didn't understand how anyone could willingly speak this language; it was so confusing and didn't seem very pretty to speak.

"So..." He started, trailing off in thought. "You did live near the ocean?" He asked, not having fully comprehended much of what she had said.

He probably looked like an idiot asking her!

QUESTA

Questa grinned. Heh, she knew it, he hadn't really understood a word she said. Well, not the great majority, at least.

"Yup, I did live by the ocean," Questa answered with a soft chuckle, scratching the back of her neck. She'd have to teach him more of the language, as all he seemed able to pick up on now was anything that had to do with water and boats and sealife.

That didn't do much good on land. Nor did it make for extensive conversation.

"Well, Khona...now that we got that settled...wanna see more of this place? The sky's the limit. Yer the newcomer here, so, just tell me whatcha wanna do."

KHONA

Khona's eyes went wide. "The sky?" He asked. She couldn't fly! Plus, after jumping off that cliff to get back into the ocean, he'd seen enough of the sky. Water he loved, the ground he could deal with, but floating in the air seemed to be a bit much.

"Where do you go? I want to see where you go." He answered her. He had shown her and Chailyn where he lived and the places he went, so he wanted to see where she lived and the places she went.

Anonymous

QUESTA

"Yeah, th' skyâ€"ack, no, not like that, Khona! I meant that as a figure o' speach, y'know?" Questa corrected herself hastily, suddenly aware that Khona had taken that statement literally. Hoo boy...she'd really have to watch her tongue around him. The world above water must look really alien and foreign to him...the language probably seemed just as foreign.

"Where do I go? Hrm...I wasn't able ta go many places lately, 'cause I was robbed..." She snorted in amusement. Heh. She...an ex-pirate...robbed. Very ironic. "But, pretty much I go wherever I want. Heh, I'll show ya around, then...hell, even I needa look around; I'm not all too familiar with this place, myself. C'mon! Oh! Hey, Khona, ya hungry at all?" A grin flickered across her face. "Ya've never had land-food before, have ya? Chocolate? Ale?"

KHONA

Robbed? Someone had taken things from her? How Khona knew the meaning of the word was beyond his knowledge, but could have been explained by his elders--had he not been foolish and was left behind. Merpeople--at least where he came from--could adapt quickly to nearly any situation. They picked up dialect like they'd known it their entire lives, which was why they could voyage anywhere in the oceans and be on good terms with the creatures there. It was something Khona would never realize or understand, but he wanted to belong now. He had no where else to belong to... Except an empty city under the sea.

"Hungry?" He asked her. "Yes, I am." He answered. He wondered what kinds of food they ate. It must be fish, for the abundance they took from the sea. Most did it without giving thanks for the creatures they were taking, and killing. That angered the merpeople. It angered the sea. But nothing could be done without jeopardizing more lives, so merpeople had to act covertly. That was probably one of the many sightings Questa's crew had witnessed. Merpeople checked boats, trying to see if they were there to catch fish or just to sail.

QUESTA

"Well, in that case...let's go get some grub! Er...food. I mean food!" she corrected quickly. Oh man...the last thing she needed was for Khona to think they ate insects. "Grub...it's, ah, another word for food. We don't eat insects. It's just slang, y'know?"

Hopefullt he caught on and understood. He seemed able to pick things up really quickly, for he had certainly answered her question firmly enough. His sentence hadn't been so broken. He was quick...she didn't think she would be able to pick up another language as quickly as he was now.

Amazing, really...

"Heh! Okay, follow me! I dunno a lot of places 'round here, but I do know this one place...an' it's really good! Prob'ly really different from what yer used ta...but I dunno whatcha eat, anyway, so...ah, we'll see! They've got really good sweets, though! You'll get hooked on that, fer sure, at least! C'mon!"

And, with that said, she took Khona by the wrist and lead him along, until they finally came to what appeared to be a hole-in-the-wall sort of building. Grinning, she lead him inside, and they were instructed by a server there to seat themselves.

"Go on, Khona. Find us a place ta sit, your choice!" she told him.

KHONA

Khona just listened to Questa. She spoke a lot. And quickly. He was trying to catch everything she said and associate it with what they were going to be doing and talking about. He hadn't even known a grub was an insect anyways! So her explanation barley made sense to him! He'd never heard anything be called a grub before!

Yaro would have been amazed. For so long Khona had spoken about meeting humans and Yaro had playfully agreed and patiently listened to Khona's ramblings... And now? Khona was in a human village, with a human friend, about to eat the food that humans ate. Yet... At such a high cost. His nonsense had cost him everything. It had cost Yaro even more.

Khona's eyes had flickered for a moment from interest and amazement to sorrow. He couldn't forget about Yaro and the rest of his kin.

He snapped out of his depressing whirlpool just in time before more depressing and horrible thoughts filled his head. He walk along with Questa, looking at all the sights as she lead them to the restaurant. He saw some dogs, and horses and even a cat among the people walking about. The colour weren't as vibrant as int he sea, but they had their own unique charm about them.. The entire village did.

"Anywhere?" He asked, unsure if he could sit anywhere. Why did someone greet them at the door, anyways? Things were strange.

He slowly found a place to sit, after getting impolitely inquisitive about a couple and what they had ordered--and a waiter directing him to a table. The smell about the room was interesting as well. So new and different!

He saw another group of people taking their seats and saw a man pull out chairs for two women and waited for them to be seated, so Khona decided it must be customary to do so. He pulled out a chair for Questa and waited for her to sit down before he went over and took the other chair at the table. He sat rather clumsily on the chair and was too unsure of its structure to lean back on the back of the chair!

QUESTA

Questa nearly fell over laughing when Khona got a little too friendly with the poor, unsuspecting couple at another table. Man...she knew she shouldn't be laughing, but his naivete and ignorance of what to him was a new world was highly amusing, to say the very least.

Of course...she imagined if she was in his...she'd be just like him.

Nonetheless, it was great entertainment.

And then, Khona went ahead and pulled her chair out for her...and she chuckled again, though she tried hard to refrain. Well, if that wasn't cute...

And if that wasn't the first time in her life someone had pulled out a chair for her! Hah! After all, all her life, she'd just been "one of the guys", and in all actuality, she rather likes it that way. She imagined with amusement that if it had been any other man but Khona that had done that for her, she might have whacked him one. She was no fragile flower; she could manage seating herself. Khona, however, could be forgiven that transgression.

"Heh! Ya don't haveta do that, Khona," she told him, grinning in amusement as she took her seat. "Ah well! Here's the menu, anyway; it lists all the foodstuffs and whatnot. Ah...ya prob'ly won't understand anythin' anyway, though, so...how 'bout I order for us, eh? Or what kinda stuff didja normally eat where ya came from?" she asked, glancing over her own menu, pausing over the drinks section. Drinks... "Hey, Khona...I don't imagine ya drank much under th' sea, right?" she asked, arching an eyebrow slightly.

KHONA

Khona saw the smile on Questa's face, and her laughing made him think she was happy. He didn't understand all the types of laughter with humans--that some were cold hearted. So he perceived her laugher as happiness.

"You're happy?" He asked with a smile.

"Drink?" He asked, thinking. "No..." He said slowly. In the ocean, in his true form of a merman, he had gills on his torso so the water filtered through them and it was how he breathed. He never had a need to drink. He didn't know what it was to be thirsty!

QUESTA

She grinned back. Aww...but his smile was so cute! So innocent... "Yep, Khona. I'm very happy. How about ya?"

The server came, and Questa ordered their drinksâ€"plain water, first. He was a merman...and now he was a human. He'd have to grow accustomed to drinking liquids while in this body!

Soon, the server returned, setting two glasses of clear water on the table. Questa smiled. "This here'd just water, Khona; not the salty kind yer used to, though. Yer a human now, so you'll needa drink it, or you'll get sick. Try some. Like this." She demonstrated, raising her glass and drinking from it. "There're a lotta different flavored 'waters' that we have here and that ya can drink. You'll get to try 'em! But first...regular water..."

"So, Khona...whatcha normally eat?"

KHONA

Khona followed Questa's example and tried to drink the water. Old habits died hard and Khona choked up the water, having expected it to just slide through him and filter through his gills--the gills he no longer had on his sides (near his ribs) to filter out the water.

Choking hurt so much for him, he was gasping for a breath--something he couldn't remember doing since entering this body!--and coughing up any water that had gotten caught in his throat.

"Easy for you," he said finally, a smile returning to his face. How could he not smile? This was all so new and exciting!

He took another drink, this time much smaller and let the water run to the back of his throat before he swallowed properly.

He cleared his throat and looked over at Questa. Eat? That was a no-brainer. "Fish and..." He stopped. There were so many kinds of vegetation in the ocean he didn't know how to generalize it! "Fish." He said, easier to just say the word he knew than to say one that might be wrong!

QUESTA

Questa grimaced as, suddenly, he was taken by a bout of choking, and it was an effort not to palm herself in the forehead as realization suddenly dawned. Ah...right. Human though he now was...he was still a fish at heart. He'd probably tried to breathe the water as opposed to swallow it. Well...this was certainly a lesson for her. She'd have to be terribly specific when instructing him from now on...lest he accidentally drown himself.

That would not be too good for her conscience. Not that she really had one when it came to most things, but she liked the kid, what could she say?

Grinning at his comment when he finally recovered, she had to nod in agreement. Yeah...he had proved that for a fact. Amazing how such simple, everyday things she never gave any thought to at all, like the ordinary act of drinking, were so foreign and...difficult...for him!

It kinda put things in perspective.

Watching him take another, smaller sip of the water, her grin broadened and she nodded in approval as, this time, he actually swallowed it. And, at that moment, it seemed a big accomplishment! Really odd, too, considering he was simply swallowing, but...ah well. "There, ya got it! Ya swallow liquids like ya swallow food." She should have told him that to begin with! Oh well...live and learn. He'd figured it out on his own, anyway.

As he spoke about what he ate, she couldn't help but bark a laugh, which she quickly covered up. Fish and fish. Ahaha...he was too cute. Questa never said that about anyone, but she could honestly say he was! Hah...she should've known. But, hey, you never knew. There could have been something else... "Heh heh...well, in that case...we have fish here, too; we get it from yer sea, o' course. But this town's more a huntin' town, and I'm sure you've had enough fish, eh? Hmm...but I dunno what to start ya with. So many choices...hrm. Hey! Why don'tcha just point to somethin' on the menu. Anything. And we'll order that fer ya. I'll read it."

As if on cue, their server came to them.

KHONA

Khona looked at the menu with wide eyes. So much writing! For all he knew, he could end up pointing at the title that says "drinks"! Well, it seemed that Questa was a good sport about it anyways, and she wouldn't let them bring Khona something completely unnatural, right?

He threw caution to the wind and closed his eyes--which made no difference because he didn't know what he was pointing at regardless of whether he could see it--and pointed to one of the lines, thankfully, under the meals.

"What's that?" Khona asked Questa, and the waiter gave funny look, rather puzzled why he either didn't know what such a simple word was or that an illiterate man would come out to eat and allow himself to be embarassed.

"Is it good? Will you have it too?" Khona asked. He then looked at the waiter, rather puzzled. In the ocean, they didn't have people to serve them--that would be just silly!--so seeing the man wait to hear their orders was completely new.

"Hello!" Khona greeted the man cheerfully.

QUESTA

Questa watched Khona with unchecked amusement, head resting on her hands, as he closed his eyesâ€"closed his eyes, as though he could actually read that menu!â€"and pointed at random. Chuckling quietly, she reached over to take the menu from him, and scanned over what he had pointed to with her oddly crimson eyes.

"Heh...not bad, Khona. That there's beef stew...comes with bread and cheese, too. Well, that'll certainly be somethin' new fer ya to try. And, yep! It's good stuff. I like it a lot. But, hmm...I'll prob'ly get somethin' different. That way, ya can try more new stuff. We can split our stuff..."

Looking over the menu thoughtfully and sipping from her water, she had almost decided upon something when Khona suddenly greeted their server cheerily. And she almost choked with laughter, just barely refraining from spewing her drink across the table. Could the kid get any more random!? Oh man...yes, yes, she loved him. His happiness at the simplest of things, his complete...well...cluelessness...it was just too great. And always so...unexpected.

Once again, she could honestly say he was adorable.

Wiping her chin with the back of her hand, she grinned sheepishly up at the server, who was looking at them both oddly now. "Eh heh...ah...anyway...I think we're ready ta order..." she told him, clearing her throat. "He'll get the beef stew, I'll get...mm...the lamb." Then, looking thoughful a moment, added, "Ah! And a tankard of ale, if ya don't mind."

Nodding, the server was off.

KHONA

Tankard? That either sounded like a little bit or a whole lot of.. whatever she'd said. What was it again? Ale?

"What is that?" Khona asked slowly. He was so inquisitive, but thought maybe he should know what it was. He noticed Questa's amusement, but felt no shame or fear. She laughed and smiled out of happiness, there was nothing for him to worry about!

Khona then watched the waiters bring other people their food and leaned over to see what the table next to them had gotten but snapped back to sit flat on his chair when he got shouted at by a man at the table. Khona was too eager to see what the waiter was going to bring him... besides! Everyone else's food looked so interesting!

QUESTA

"Mm? Ale? Well, Khona, it's...kinda like water. It's a drink! Though, I gotta admit, it takes some gettin' used to. But it's good once ya get over the initial taste, an' it really...ah...loosens ya up. That's why y' shouldn't drink too much! Otherwise..." She gave a discreet cough, averting her eyes shiftily. "...y' may do somethin' stupid that ya won't even remember, but everyone else will. But, ah, anyway, that's beside the point! It's good stuff, an' ya can try some, o' course! All th' blokes 'round here drink it."

Despite her nonchalant air, she was blushing as she sipped more water, having rambled a bit more than she would have liked. Not that he'd know about that, anyway! Argh...as much as she loved and missed her old crewmates, damn if there weren't times when she'd have liked to murder them! She was pretty evil herself, but she'd never let anyone get so wasted they somehow managed to string their smallclothes over every available high surface.

Or...maybe she would...

Ahem! But, in any case, she was just fortunate her crewmates, if crude, were deep down respectful of each other. After all, underneath it all, she did have a woman's body.

Luckily, that was just never an issue. She was just one of the guys.

She'd been very lucky...damn, she missed those bastards...

Shaking her head to rid herself of the sadness and nostalgia that momentarilly dimmed her odd eyes, she grinned as, once again, Khona returned to his antics. Laughing as he was shouted atâ€"moreso at his reaction, of seeing him suddenly sober up so quickly!â€"Questa grinned at him. "Heh, don' worry, Khona. People are stiffs, don't let it get to ya. Oh, hey, it's our food!"

Sure enough, the server had returned, and set their meals on the table before them. The tankard of ale included.

"Well, there ya are! Eat up!"

KHONA

Khona looked at the food set before him. It smelt like... nothing he'd ever smelled before in his life and it looked, well, odd. He took the knife on the side and poked one of the pieces of meat at the top of his stew and watched what it did.

"It is good... right?" He asked slowly. He didn't think Questa would give him something that was awful--she wouldn't! They were friends, right?

He put his finger int he stew just enough to get some of the sauce, and then licked it. It was... odd. He'd never tasted anything like it and it was very warm--not burning hot, but hot enough. He didn't mind the taste either... it was just new to him.

From watching others around him, he picked up a spoon and put it in the stew and lifted soft out of the bowl. After looking at it for at least a minute or two, he put the spoon in his mouth and chewed and swallowed quickly, having just successfully nearly burnt his tongue! Picking a spoonful from the center of the bowl hadn't been the best choice, but once the sensation left his tongue and he could reflect on the taste, he smiled. It was good!

He looked at the ale and made a face. It certainly did not look healthy... Water was supposed to be clear, or blue, but not... that colour! He'd stick with his water.

QUESTA

It suddenly occurred to Questa, as Khona was poking his food with a knife, that perhaps she should have given him instructions on how to go about eating it. After all, the merman had nearly drowned himself drinking water! Who knew what self harm he could inflict with a hot piece of beef and a knife!

Then again, she had given him instructions as to how to drink water, and that had been when he nearly choked to death. Mayhap it would be better, this time, if he was let alone to figure things out for himself. It didn't seem she was a very good teacher in this area.

"Yeah, it's really good. I like it a lot, at least," she told him as she watched him stick his finger in the stew before licking off the liquid. Hmm...perhaps she should tell him about the art of spoons? She considered that idea for a moment...then passed on it. Naw. She'd never seen anyone attempt to eat stew with their hands before, and she couldn't help but wonder how successful one could be at that. It should be interesting, nonetheless...

But, soon enough, Khona had figured it out, and Questa grinned proudly. He sure was bright, adapting quickly to new situations. She supposed you had to be if you were suddenly emersed in a foreign land...ack! She should have probably warned him about hot food...but, it looked like he'd already discovered that...

Man. There were just so many simple, ordinary little things she just never gave any thought to that were so completely new to Khona. It was pretty crazy.

Suddenly realizing she was neglecting her own cooling meal as she watched Khona raptly, she picked up her own fork and began loading some of the vegetables that were scattered around the serving on lamb onto the utensil. But just as soon as she took a bite, Khona was back to being his weird self, and the expression on his face as he peered over at the ale was priceless. Again.

Swallowing quickly before she chokedâ€"againâ€"she was able to laugh freely. "Heh, want some, Khona?" she asked, nodding to the tankard and smirking. "It'll make ya forget about yer burnt tongue real quick!"

KHONA

Khona shook his head and made a face, again. "I don't think anyone should drink that." He said, tapping the pitcher and watching the ale ripple at the top then settle once more. "Water shouldn't be that colour... You should get a new one." He added, referring to the pitcher of ale.

He grabbed his glass of water, grabbing it like it would fall or shatter if he didn't hold it right, and slowly took a sip. The chilled water on his tongue felt good and he slowly swallowed the water once it had warmed in his mouth.

He continued eating his stew--very slowly so as not to burn himself again--then, once he was nearly half way done he look at what Questa was eating. "Is yours any good?" He asked slowly, poking his stew-covered spoon at her lamb quickly. He must have looked like an animal or child reaching over the table and getting stew on Questa's meal but.. Well he hadn't thought of it, or that people might be watching.

QUESTA

Laughter, once again, burst abruptly from Questa, and she quickly made to contain, or at least control, it, which resulted, much to her dismay, in a small peel of giggles. Giggles? Oh geez, she didn't think she'd ever giggled since she was a child, and even then she tried not to giggle like those fancy, air-headed maidens she saw parading around the streets with their lovers. Pressing her lips together, she smirked at Khona instead, afraid that if she opened her mouth again that same sound would bubble forth.

Gods, she didn't think she'd laughed this much since before the ship-wreck, when Vincent was still around. Damn, she missed him...

"Eh heh...Khona...it's supposed ta be that color. It ain't dirty or anythin'. It's..." She thought a moment, trying to think of how best to describe it. How would she explain to a merman, who lived under the waves, that different drinks could be made from the juices of various plants? Khona wouldn't know about that process. Under the water, there was no point in trying to make different beverages.

She'd just describe it in the simplest, vaguest of terms. No use in confusing him with a description of the drawn out process of making alcohol from fermented barley. "It's made from a plant, actually. Up here, we can drink lotsa different things aside from water, see? We can take different plants and squeeze the juice from 'em and drink it. It's good! This is made from a plant, too. It's a lot different from other plant-based drinks, though. It's really strong. But it ain't dirty, it's clean; it just ain't completely water."

As he poked at her own meal, which had hardly been touchedâ€"Questa was to busy talking, and whenever she did manage to take a bite, she usually ended up chokingâ€"and nodded. "Yeah, here, I'll let ya judge fer yerself." Picking up her knife and fork, she divided the meal by half, then, remembering Khona's unfamiliarity with utensils, cut one half of the meal up into individual, bite-size pieces. That done, she pushed the plate so it was in between them. "Take some, as much as ya want," she offered.

KHONA

Khona slowly brought his face to look like he wasn't disturbed by the look of the ale but... It just didn't seem right to him. He knew this world out of water would be different, but this was just too much. He'd have preferred knowing that water was always ingested as a clear or blue liquid... Not that colour!

Khona took his spoon and, rather slowly and with difficultly, got the piece of lamb on it then took a bite. It tasted different, but the texture itself was a lot like the beef in his stew. It didn't taste bad, though.

"Its almost the same." He said, not referring to the taste but rather the texture.

"Are you not hungry?" He asked, noticing Questa had barely eaten anything from her plate.

QUESTA

"Really?" She didn't really know what to make of that comment. Hmm...guess that meant he liked it, since he had certainly eaten a lot of his stew. "So, ya like it?" she ventured, leaning lightly on the table. This was easier than she thought. And here she'd been half worried that he'd hate the food up here. Food down below must be really salty...going from very salty food to food with a lower salt count must be quite the change. Hell, she knew that to be true, herself, having lived on sea rations while aboard ship for an extended period of time. Everything had to be dried and salted to be preserved, and, though you got used to it after a while, nothing was more heavenly than a homestyle meal after months of the stuff.

She doubted the same feeling would be felt among merpeople, though. A homestyle meal to them was probably of the saltier variety.

"Hm? Oh, yeah, yeah, I am! Heh! I've just been gabbing away at ya. Doesn't leave much room to stuff my face," she told him with a grin, and began to eat her portion of the meal. Talking to him, she had almost forgotten she was hungry. But, truly, she really was.

[MOVE COMPLETE! Continue posting!]