Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

The Rowan Tavern

Started by Anonymous, May 13, 2005, 11:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

Cerenai did not trust easily. Trust among a species that would kill its own offspring if it had the slightest flaw was virtually nonexistent, and what alliances were formed were shaky at best, and lasted only as long as it benefited both demons. Those that trusted, died. Let your guard down, and you were vulnerable. That was just how it went, and that was a worldview that Kyras had yet to shake. He probably never would. He had no reason to trust, others had no reason to trust him, and he rather liked it that way.

Of course, in addition to the lack of trust, it probably wasn't so much to assume that Cerenai weren't exactly the most hospitable of creatures...

So when Elinsha offered up her "services", Kyras simply paused in midstep, shifted Lenrizel a little, and ran his oddly-colored, almond-shaped eyes over her quickly as though looking at her for the first time. But it was more that he was sizing her up. He didn't actually believe any of the creatures here would pose much of a threat to him, but it was another habit, and a good one to have at that. One could never be too sure, and he certainly couldn't say he trusted her motives. But, the same was true for everyone in Kyras' eyes.

Considering what he'd been through and what culture he'd come from, and considering how he himself was...it would be foolish to be any other way.

Hrm...well, Kyras certainly couldn't say he was experienced with training slaves, at least not on this side of the fenceâ€"he knew what it was like on Lenrizel's side all too well, but that wasn't the same. Especially since he himself could admit that he wasn't really trying to train the boy so much as use him, in more ways than just his powers. He didn't want the boy to be completely trained and obedient, really...

Like hell would he ever say the real reason why. Not even to himself.

But, in any case, a little more punishment couldn't hurt. And he couldn't help but be curious about this creature; she certainly was not human, which was...well, in an odd way, a relief. Humans were boring. And even if he didn't trust, and even if he viewed these non-Cerenai as lesser, it didn't mean he didn't get bored, and despite their violence and distrust, they were rather social. As long as you were tough, useful, and possessed no natural flawsâ€"scars did not countâ€"you could count yourself as relatively safe if you were careful. It didn't mean others wouldn't try and knock you off and take your place, though, if they felt they had the capability to do it.

"...I expect you'll keep your word, otherwise I'll kill you," Kyras finally replied, voice nonchalant and gaze steady. He meant every word of it, and killing her would be to him about as bad as killing a gnat. But it was also a test to see just what kind of being she was, if she was easily intimidated or what. Perhaps even a chance to back off, a warning. This, for Kyras, was being rather civil. "I don't care how you treat himâ€"he cannot dieâ€"but I expect you will forget everything the whelp was spouting a few moments ago. As for a place to stay, I hope you're not expecting luxery or maid service. My home is very...humble. You can sleep there, but as for everything else, you'll have to fend for yourself."

He was no host, after all.

And he meant everything else. Even if he didn't say it, so long as she "behaved", she would be unharmed. He had no reason to kill random people here, because he was outside of his own society, and things just worked differently hereâ€"different laws, different culture, different everything, and he was a minority here, and he accepted that. So, unless she managed to piss him off, he had no reason to hurt her. And, just as he found Lenrizel beautiful in his own way, this girl was rather exotic and unique, herself, and beauty was prized among his kind, as he knew all too well.

She wasn't a Cerenai, but Cerenai ways only worked among other Cerenai. Or when Cerenai were the majority in a land. But his kind were few, now, and he accepted that. He was adaptable.

And, though he'd never admit it, proud of his race though he was, he was also a little glad it had been torn apart.

For his own reasons and own benefit, of course.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

Sellion had slipped out of the tavern after paying the bill quickly, regretting the little he'd said about his "friends". They weren't going to like it. He started to wander again, unknowingly following the slave and master.

Not watching where he was going, he walked into Eve before he saw her. He tumbled to the ground and badly banged his shin. The book which he had been reading--which was why he wasn't watching where he was going--also tumbled to the ground. It was an old one, and the cover was nearly gone, but the author was still visible--a one "H.G. Wells". Reaching to pick it up while hastily muttering an apology, his attention was caught by the other book, which had also fallen. It was open to: "Magical Creatures-Slaves-Rare and Unusual-Genii". "Long header," he thought to himself, then he realized what it was talking about.

For the first time, he looked up at who he had bumped into. His first thought was (of course) "angelic". Not that he cared much; he'd never been one to believe in visitations from Heaven or Hell. Not even seeing a demon changed that. "Hey," he said, as he handed Eve back her book, "are you after the slaveowner I'm after? Tall? Demonic? Has a genie? He said something about a ring..." All this was barely audible, as the effect of the ale had worn off, and he was reverting to his natural shyness.

Anonymous

Eve continued searching through the chapter for more about her genie. For being an angel, Eve sure was behind on her history. As she stood reading her book, a boy ran into her, knocking the book out of her hands, and her to the floor. He fell also and scraped himself.

The angel couldn't say she wasn't a little annoyed, as the boy hadn't apologized, but then again, some people out there went through tis kind of treatment all the time, so she let it go. The boy handed her book back to her and must have noticed why she was reading this book.

"A ring eh?" An idea formed in her head. Eve put her plotting aside though, when she realised that the boy was asking her something. "Oh, I guess so," She closed the book and held it gently in her hands, "Now that I read this, I really feel sorry for that genie. Tell me, do you know what this ring looks like?" She walked over to a shelve and put the book away as she said this, and then returned to the boy.

Anonymous

He nodded, wondering exactly who this was. "Yeah. Mr. Demonic there's wearing it; just your average plain gold band. A ring to ru--oh, by the way, my name's Sellion. I'm kind of an abolitionist, even of magical slaves." He held out his hand, wondering if a stranger would shake it or if he'd just wind up looking stupid.

[Dang! Short post]

Anonymous

Eve shook Sellion's hand, and added a slight bow, "A pleasure to meet you Sellion. My name is Eve." She paused for a second, "So, I don't think you'll mind helping me out then?"

At first, the angel hadn't intended on asking the boy for help, but he seemed to know more about this slaveowner than she did. He must've run into the demon to know about the ring, so he couldn't just walk right up to him and go along with her plan. Surely this slaveowner will recognize him. All the same, this could easily be changed with a twitch of her finger. But before all this, she first needed Sellion's consent.

Anonymous

As per usual in social situations, Sellion felt rather awkward. He decided not to return the bow, but inclined his head respectfully. When Eve asked him for help, he pondered it with both relief to have found someone who seemed like a friend, and a slight twinge of nervousness. Help her how? Did she expect him to help her take on Kyras? Hopefully not. Of course, he could call upon A. and A., but he kind of reserved that for emergencies. Somehow, he figured that the price for carelessly calling upon them would be very great, indeed.

"Help you?" he repeated. "Sure, but, uh, ho--how exactly do you want me to help?"

Anonymous

~Janx burst through the doors to the tavern and stumbled in. He finally regained his balance and walked towards the nearest empty table where he took off a cloak he had found on his way to the village. His tail wrapped around his waist like a blet and he sat down and looked the tavern over. his eyes looked like pools of blue smoke and he smirked as he pulled out a deck of cards. he started to play a game of solitare, but didn't seem that interested in the game itself. he set a flask down on the table and leaned back, slowly playing the game~

(Yeah! My first post ^_^)

Anonymous

Eve examined Sellion quickly, wondering what he would actually be willing to do. She couldn't force anything on him. "You don't have to, of course, and I don't want you to fight him or anything. More like...distracting."

(Grr..short post!)

Anonymous

Noticing the newcomer as soon as he walked in the door, Sam gave Jeral an encouraging look, a grin, and a big thumbs up, before starting to sing along with the bard's current tune.

Anonymous

~Janx saw the signal and looked confussed~ Hmmm...... ~Janx got up and put his cards in his pocket. he walked over to the bar itself and looked at the pair singing~ Good song. Do you know anyothers? If i might ask of course........~Janx blinked twice as if to ask them what was going on~

Anonymous

Sellion was still drawing a blank as to what Eve meant by that. But he was relieved that she didn't intend for him to fight Kyras. There was bravery; then there was suicide. Chances were, if he even helped in a fight, he wouldn't live to see his thirteenth summer.

Habitually, he took off his glasses and polished them on his waistcoat. "That's a relief. Distract him? Sure, I already did that at the inn...I could do it now. But, uh, wouldn't he recognize me?" He didn't guess anything about magic.

Anonymous

Sam grinned again as he left the bard in the corner and approached the newcomer at the bar.  "Oi suttinly do, lad, that Oi do," he said merrily.  "This here's me new barkeep Jeral. Sorta takin' a test run, eh.  Ow bout ye arder an test 'im out, see ow he does.  Hey, bard, ow bout that war song from back in ainchent histry them Irishmen useta sing."  When the bard responded, he took up the tune.

"As oi wus walkin' down tha street,
    Feelin' noice an larky oh,
    A recrootin' sarjint said ta meee,
    Yood look foine in khaki, oh.
    The King he is in need of men.
    Here read this proclimmation oh.
    A loife in Flanders far ya then
    Wood bee a foine vacation owe.
    Ah, but hail er rain er snow er sleet,
    Oim not gawwin out ta Flanders owe,
    Thar's fightin' in Dubbalin to be done,
    Wouldja sarjint's and cammanders go?
    Let Anglishmen fer Angland foight,
    It's neerly toime they started oh.
    Then oi bade tha sarjint a noice good-bye,
    And there and then we parted oh."

Anonymous

~Janx smirked a little and nodded as to say he understood. Helooked to the new bar keep and looked at the others in the tavern~ So, i'm lookin for a good job meself. mind if i apply for one?

Anonymous

Sam stopped singing as the newcomer asked his question.  "Oh?  What're ye good at?  Oi've got sev'ral ope-nins."

Anonymous

Was a bar tender for quite some time. I can't really speak about my past employer, because there was an accident.... but that happened a while ago. If i may, i'll give you a demo....~Janx hopped behind the bar~ What can i get for you? If your not human, try some of this. ~he set his flask on the counter~ It's strong enough to put a human into a coma or even kill them..... trust me... i found out the hard way... but that happened a while ago. it's alright if you aren't human.

Anonymous

Jeral looks over at the new comer. He watches him stumble over to where Sam is, and ask him for a job. Jeral walks over to the man just as he gets to his mock serving, and taps him on the shoulder. "You look like you've had one too many, kid. What's the stuff you got there?" he asks

Anonymous

~Janx shakes his head a bit to stop his stumbling~ I'm a demon, i can never get drunk... or at least i haven't yet....... Any ways, it's called Demon brew its a mix of about forty of humans strongest liquirs mixed with ten of demons strongest to make one hell of a drink. It'll make you stumble a bit, but it's mostly harmless.

Anonymous

The angel circled the boy slowly, trying to think of a suitable image to distract this...Kyras. The more she thought about it, the more she started thinking of something better to go along as her plan. Eve stopped, "Does this demon know that you know about his genie?"

She pulled him into a darker corner where no one would really listen to what they were saying. Ater his answer, she would have to tell him her plan.

Anonymous

Sellion was now rather alarmed. The most unadventurous part of him was saying "Don't be a fool! You can still back down!". Yet somehow another part of him was leading him on half unwillingly. "Well," he said, dropping his glasses, "He knows I know he's a slaveowner, of course. But as I recall he left the tavern before anyone mentioned the part about his slave being a genie to me." What in heck was she planning on doing?

Anonymous

~His ears perked up~ Come on. Please? i really want a j......ob.

~Chaot burst through the doors and took off his cloak and smiled at Janx~ Oh Janxy Poo! I'm home!!!! ~he smiled wickedly~ Did you miss me? I really missed you......

~Janx stared at him as if he were a ghost, which technically he was....~ How did you.....

Ah, to many questions to answer, soo little time to do it in..... All i can say is, i'm here to get my revenge........