Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Why, hello there, big boy... [Rina!]

Started by Rhindeer, January 04, 2011, 11:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

The rain was coming down in droves, and Niaaki's cloak was doing little to keep him dry. He pulled it tight around his thin body and did his best to keep Butch, his doll, from getting too wet. Blech...of course it would rain on him when he had no shelter, no food, didn't know where he was going, and was utterly lost and alone. His luck was peachy like that.

But he did know where he wanted to be, and that was inside and warm and fed. Taverns weren't normally his favorite destination, seedy establishments that they were, but beggars could not be choosers.

And he was certainly not above begging.

A tavern sign, swinging in the wind above a door, caught his eye and, head bowed against the rain, he made his way for it and pushed his way inside.

A fireplace was crackling in the back, radiating warmth throughout the building, and Niaaki shrugged off his soaked cloak and hung it up on a nail by the door. No, definitely not his ideal place, judging by the characters that were occupying it, a number of them swiveling to look at him drunkenly, some with obvious interest. Hmph. Niaaki fluffed out his shoulder-length silver hair, shaking water from the ends, and straightened out his clothes before sending a smile and a wink their way. He kept Butch tucked under one arm, weird as he knew it looked, him carrying around a raggedy old doll with yarn hair and button eyes.

But he didn't dare let it out of his sight.

They probably though he was a girl--a flat-chested, thin girl, but he was also wearing thick, warm clothes so maybe that would obscure it more. Wouldn't be the first time nor the last time, and as much as he hated it--he also had no coin to his name, and he was hungry. A little flirting and pretend had bought him meals and wine before, so he wouldn't correct them, nor lie to them. Just play the role and let them assume what they wanted. He was secure enough in his masculinity that he could deal with that.

Now to find someone who didn't look like an utter sleazeball...maybe he could charm the barkeep, even.

Taking a seat at the bar, sitting straight and prim and proper--it came as second nature, noble born as he was--he quickly decided against charming the barkeep. He looked...uncharmable, big and mean-looking. Okay...ah!

Niaaki scooted down another seat and leaned to look over at the dark-haired man. He didn't look much older than he was.

"Excuse me, sir," he said, for once glad that his voice, like the rest of him, was androgynous. Absently, he twirled a strand of silver hair around a finger as he'd seen some women do when flirting. "I'm not from around here, and I'm a little lost. I thought you may be able to help me."

He smiled. "I do apologize for my forwardness. I just couldn't help but notice your sword and garb, and it...attracted me. Are you a knight of this realm? You do look the part."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

There was just something lonely about eating alone too often. Nathanial hated it, which was why he often found himself away from the comforts of his home and in crowded inns. His house was too empty and he was between paramours currently, more the pity.

He nursed his cider, his food having not arrived yet, hazel eyes picking over the crowd. He didn't think he was likely to find anyone here to pick up, but interesting conversation would be nice. Not that peasants were likely to give intelligent conversation, it was often interesting.

When the young girl suddenly appeared at his table, Nathanial's expression stiffened slightly. Oh. Lovely. Some cheap tart wanted something from him.

His voice was rather cold and the look he gave Niaaki said he clearly wasn't interested, "I am a knight. What do you want?"

Rhindeer

Oh, yikes. Niaaki repressed a grimace when his questions were met with cold disinterest. Looks like he may have picked the wrong customer.

But Niaaki persevered! The man was a knight! Therefore, surely he must be helpful! Maybe a flirty approach just wasn't the right one; the man could be married or maybe he just wasn't his type. People often mistook him as younger than he was, so that could be it, or maybe the man just preferred darker Adelans to pale Serenians. Alright. Plan B: the helpless act.

"Oh, good," Niaaki breathed, and stopped playing with his hair so he could rest his arms on the bar. He looked down at his hands, as though ashamed and troubled. "I've been looking for someone who could help me. You see, sir, I'm...I'm kinda lost, and I've no coin..."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

Argh! This was exactly why he hated women! Nathanial had to work to keep himself from making a face at the girls dramatic acting. Please. Figure it out yourself, useless wench. Always expecting other people to do the work was such a womanly trait.

Clenching his teeth, he worked to shove his annoyance down. He was a knight and should behave as such. Forcing a tight smile, he gave the girl his attention again, "Oh. Really. And I'm guessing you want directions then? I know the city well." Bitch probably wanted a free meal, which he was not giving her.

Rhindeer

"Oh, how did you know? Directions would be wonderful!" Niaaki said with a bright smile, perking up and hugging Butch to his belly. "Though first I need to know where I am, exactly. Even that would help. Oh, and any information about any charitable groups in the area, or places where one could stay for cheap. Free, preferably. Perhaps you know where I could get a meal, too?"

Hint, hint, hint. He fixed Nathaniel with his best innocent look, trying to appeal to his empathy. This was more difficult. Flirting was easy, but full on begging was less his style, especially with someone who was giving him cold, disinterested vibes.

But he was a knight! He had to help people, right? And he was a damsel! Kind of. Didn't knights dig that?

Anonymous

Man but this bitch was laying it on thick. Could she be a little more obvious. Nathaniel fixed her with a flat look, "There are some churches that might help, but it is doubtful you'll find a place for free." God damn knight code and his duty to help people.

"Look. You are....obviously in need of some help. Let me get you a meal, alright?" Dumb slut was getting gruel and bread and cheap ale. That was it. Useless sow. She was almost pretty too, with some nice, strong lines. But still acted like a simpering female, which ruined it all.

Rhindeer

Ding, ding, ding! There it was! And thank the gods, too, because this act was getting exhausting.

Niaaki let out a sigh of relief, some of the expectant tension draining out of him. "Thank you. You have no idea how much I appreciate that," he said, and then after a pause added, because it seemed rude not to, "I'm Niaaki, by the way. Might I get your name?"

Anonymous

Niaaki? Not the most feminine of names, but he had heard worse. He gave a stiff nod, still irritated, "Sir Wynn." He waved at one of the barmaids to come over once she was free. He knew he was being rude, he just really didn't want to both have to pay for this stupid girls meal and have to talk to her.

Though she was oddly cute for a girl.

Rhindeer

Yep. No friendly vibes, there...or maybe it was just his nature to be curt? Still, Niaaki couldn't help feeling deflated. While free food and shelter had been his prime objective, he had also been looking for company, someone to talk to, because eating alone--being alone--was awful. he was a social creature and didn't deal well with loneliness. He'd always had Yuuki, always had people around him, but then they'd gotten separated and he'd gotten utterly lost. It wasn't the first time this had happened, but he'd always been a little more successful.

There was only so much one could do when conversing with someone who clearly didn't want to talk to you.

He chewed the inside of his cheek, biting back a disappointed sigh. This was awkward. "Well, it is a pleasure to meet you, Sir Wynn," he said, and sat back a little so he wasn't so close.

Oh well. At least he was getting a meal out of this? Idly, he tilted his head back and ran his fingers through his damp hair, moving his bangs out of his face and trying to separate the strands so it would dry quicker. And at least it was warm in here.

Anonymous

Nathaniel glanced back at the girl, about to give another curt response when his eyes were drawn to her neck as her hand moved the silvery hair away. There was an adam's apple! Nathaniel's eyes widened, surprised. She was a boy! His eyes jerked back to the kid's face, giving it a new look. No wonder he had thought she was good looking! He was male!

"You are a boy?" He kept his voice low, not sure if there was a real reason for the boy trying to look so girlish. Though, honestly, he had never claimed to be female, nor did he dress much like a girl. Well, this was good news! Boys were much better companions than woman.

Rhindeer

That made Niaaki freeze, gray eyes going wide. How did he know? How did he slip up? Did he guess from his name? For a moment Niaaki stared at the knight, completely still with his breath held and his hair still gathered in his hands, and waited to try and gauge his mood.

Was he pissed? Was this whole scene about to turn horrifically awkward and he'd end up having to make some sort of getaway? Granted, that had really only happened that one time because the flirting had gone on long enough for him to get several drinks and learn the man was married and unsatisfied with his aging wife, but...

When the knight said nothing else, Niaaki let out an awkward laugh and leaned his elbows on the counter. Okay! Play it off totally casual-like!

"Oh...um...yes?" He kept his voice low, mimicking the knight, then frowned and added, "Is that a problem?"

Anonymous

"Problem? No, not at all." Nathaniel's voice was much friendlier, his expression warmer, "I'm just a little surprised." What a lovely, lovely surprise, "I wasn't expecting a boy to be so...stunning." Now that he was actually paying attention, he was finding that was true. The boy had beautiful features and the slender build Nathaniel liked.

The barmaid arrived, looking Nathaniel over and smiling pleasantly, "What canna get ya sir?"

Nathaniel gestured to Niaaki, "Anything....the lady? desires to eat." For all he knew, the kid wanted people to think he was a woman for a good reason.

Rhindeer

Ehhh?

The abrupt shift in demeanor did not go unnoticed, and Niaaki stared in confusion. It was like he was speaking to a completely different person rather than the cold, curt knight from five seconds ago, and now he was suddenly stunning? What? So why had he been giving him the cold shoulder when he'd thought he was a girl? His own appearance and behavior hadn't changed at all so--what the hell? It didn't make any sense!

But before he could muster up some sort of intelligible response, the barmaid came over. Niaaki looked from her to the knight and back, then smiled, regaining his composure. "Bread and stew would be wonderful," he said, and as she walked away he turned back to the man.

"Um, so," he said, lowering his voice again. "You are...okay with that?"

Sure the knight had already said so, but it had still left Niaaki feeling so puzzled he decided to double-check.

Anonymous

"Okay with the stew and bread?" Nathaniel grinned, leaning a little closer to the boy, suddenly feeling sympathetic to his plight. Was it shallow and sexist? Yes, but Nathaniel didn't really think that much on it.

"You look like you have had a rough night. Though, really," Nathaniel's expression turned a little wicked, "Are you sure you should be so trusting with someone you have just met? How do you know I wont be asking for repayment?"

Rhindeer

"Well...you're a knight. I assume you're trustworthy," Niaaki answered slowly, brow furrowing. As if the man's sudden mood-swing wasn't jarring enough, what was with that look? Despite his calm composure, he couldn't help but feel a pang of unease at where this was going. The last thing he wanted was for this to be held against him, to be in someone else's debt. That defeated the purpose of free!

"Besides, I already told you I have no coin."

Anonymous

"Yes, I am a knight, but I could be a bad man you know." Nathaniel gave a small laugh, leaning his chin on his arm, "And I wasn't thinking of asking you to pay me in coin. That would just be cruel." His hazel eyes focused on Niaaki's lips, "Maybe a kiss."

Rhindeer

That made Niaaki recoil in shock, face flushing. Of all the things the man could have said, that was the least expected. Wait. Was he really clear on the face that he was male? There seemed to be some confusion or...something. Except that made no sense.

He rebounded fast and barked an incredulous laugh to cover up his flounder, brushing some hair back from his face. "Ahaha...you can't be serious. Wouldn't that would be abusing your power?" he asked, and couldn't help but look toward the kitchen to see if his meal was ready yet. Perhaps this hadn't been his wisest idea.

"I thought knights had codes of chivalry and honor and things like that."

Anonymous

"Ah, yes. But like I said, there can be bad knights." Shame, the pretty ones were his type. But he didn't seem interested. Curses and damnation. But at least he could enjoy looking at him a bit longer.

He gave another small laugh, "Relax. I happen to be one of the good ones. I wont make you give me a kiss for the meal. I can just hope you'll be overcome with gratitude that you'll feel the urge to kiss me."

Rhindeer

Awkward moment over, Niaaki relaxed again and grinned triumphantly. "See, there you have it. I assumed you were one of the good ones, and I was right." He fluffed his hair, and found it was drying. "I tend to have good instincts."

For instance, this man had to be joking.

The barmaid came, then, setting the stew on the table before him, and gods, cheap tavern food or not, it was the best thing he'd smelled in...forever. He grabbed his spoon and took a bite, then hissed when he burned his tongue. Gulping the bite down fast, he pushed the stew aside to cool. Okay. Mostly good instincts.

"For what it's worth, I do truly appreciate this."

Anonymous

Nathaniel reached out, lifting up a strand of Niaaki's silver hair, "You should make sure you get that dry. You don't want to catch cold." Dropping the stand, he smiled again, "Well, like I said, I'm still holding out for showers of gratitude."