Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Anger of the Sea

Started by Goldie, June 07, 2005, 11:24:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldie

Oh, Zarak could not have even planned Kiyan's reaction better! Nothing in his wildest dreams could keep the grin from twitching at the edge of his mouth before he had the good sense to stifle it. Thankfully, just about that time Okonwe came dashing back with a towel which she pressed to his face.

That made him wince as she hit a little bit harder than she intended. Not that he was surprised, most of her attention had been turned towards the delinquent boy who had caused such a horrible injury.

Zarak took the towel from her hands and continued to quench the blood flowing from his nose. He knew from experience that his face would look quite the mess after the bleeding stopped. He wouldn't be able to get all of the blood off for one, it would hurt waaaay too much for any type of thorough cleaning for at least a few days. That, coupled with some pretty intensive bruising and swelling that accompanied a break like this. It would throb for a good while too.

He knew that he wouldn't be so excited about Kiyan's little aggressive moment that night, if all things planned out, of course.

"Nah, it's really ok." he tried to assure Okonwe, and hoping also to unnerve Kiyan even more. Maybe he was stupid to keep pushing him so far, after all the kid already hated him! There wasn't much more he could do to escalate that animosity!

"Let him be, it's really ok." he added again as the boy stalked off after refusing to make an apology. Zarak took the towel away and dabbed it tentatively, looking down to see if the blood was still gushing. It looked like it was abating and was just spotting a bit on the towel. He wasn't ready to give it back to Okonwe, especially if the stupid thing decided it wasn't finished in a few minutes.

Not that it mattered, really, he had other things to worry about.

As Kiyan stormed off, Zarak took one last time to look at Okonwe. He wasn't sure how seriously she would take him, but he needed her to know...needed to reiterate....

"I wanna thank ya for you're help." he told her, lowering the now bloody towel which he still clutched in his hand. "And really...no matter what ya hear...Kiyan will be safe. I promise ya." Without another word he turned and followed Kiyan towards where the Coryii were waiting to accompany them from this village and to the next. He had never seen these folk before and was curious if they had similar customs.

Rhindeer

It didn't even faze him! He broke his nose and it didn't even faze him! Zarak wasn't supposed to say it was okay, he was supposed to agree with Okonwe, get angry at him like everyone else had, something. But instead Zarak, damned back-stabbing liar Zarak, came out looking all good and calm and nice--which Kiyan knew was complete and utter monkey dung.

With a loud groan, Kiyan just kept on walking and didn't look back, though his rigid posture and clenched fists clearly gave away all that he was feeling. He knew it was stupid; he shouldn't be wasting any emotion on Zarak because he didn't even deserve his anger. But he still couldn't believe it. He could have let Zarak die in more than one instance! Granted, even if he knew the guy was going to betray him he wouldn't have done any differently, but...

Damn it.

Just proved he couldn't trust anyone.

"I know, Zarak..." Okonwe answered quietly, sighing and rubbing her temples. She looked over at him and gave the barest of smiles, her mind preoccupied and eyes lined and tired. No matter what she said to Kiyan at this point, she knew it didn't matter. Soon he would be among the Coryii, and at this point he and his fate were completely out of her hands. It would do no good to reprimand him anymore; there was no point, and he was clearly too angry to listen, anyway. "I know. Thank you for that, for everything."

She believed him. She didn't know him, but he felt different. Anyone else would have walloped that boy for punching them, but Zarak had an unusual kind of patience. She supposed that's what Kiyan needed--or what anyone else needed to deal with him.

That was where she had fallen short.

"I'll accompany you to to where they're waiting, but Kiyan has been banished so I'll need to just say my goodbyes now. Have a safe journey, Zarak."

Okonwe walked most of the way there with them, to where the Coryii were waiting at the edge of the village. Most of them had already started off to get a head start, but a small group of five men, most of them Zarak's age save one that was going gray-haired, were waiting behind to receive Kiyan and his companion. A couple men were holding the reins of two strange pack animals that looked like a rough cross between so a deer and a horse; their hooves were cloven, their tails long and tufted, and both had an impressive set of antlers growing from their head. Their fur was a red-orange with black rosette-like spots that extended even into the long mane, but when they snuffled at their owners' hair, like a horse would, there was a flash of sharp teeth.

The animals were currently loaded down supplies.

Once the men noticed Zarak and Kiyan, Okonwe turned and left without a word, and Kiyan felt his heart beat faster and his stomach clench. He was mad at her, yes, but...he had lived with her for as far back as he could remember, and...

Some of the situation he was in was finally starting to sink in.

"About time. You're late," the older man said, leaving the group to walk and meet them halfway. Unlike Kiyan, these men did wear animal-skin breeches and whereas Kiyan's people decorated themselves with piercings and scarification and jewelery, it looked like the Coryii were more interested in tattooing. They shared Kiyan's dark complexion and hair, though they beaded theirs. Fishermen they might be, but the Coryii's tribe was much larger and influential and many of them made their villages inside the jungle, too. They were hunters whereas Kiyan's people kept to the shore.

They had split off from the Coryii ages ago and still hadn't gotten their numbers up.

"And who're you?" That was said with a look Zarak's way.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Goldie

Zarak walked in silence, running over the plan again and again in his mind. He needed everything to work perfectly or they would both be in trouble. Well...they'd be in trouble when Zarak sneaked into the village and took Kiyan away in the night. That would mean that the kid could never return there, even years in the future and that was not exactly the future he wanted for him. He wanted to leave open the possibility of Kiyan returning sometime in the future to people who would have heard of his horrible fate (after all, being sold to a slaver would pretty much ruin your day) and then accept him with open, apologetic arms. It was an option for the boy whenever he was old enough to prove himself to them. After getting away long enough to see things differently.

After all, they were his family and Zarak did not want to break them apart. Maybe it was a silly wish for a guy who had been a pirate for the majority of his life...but after everything....he couldn't...just, couldn't break apart the brothers. Even Okonwe had a place in Kiyan's family. Maybe he couldn't see it yet, but some day he would miss them. Some day, when he was a grown man in pants, he would want to see them. This dream had been destroyed for Zarak and he would not be responsible for destroying Kiyan's past.

For a moment, dark images flashed across his mind and the cries of his mother as she tried to protect her son before blades flashed and blood spilled onto the wood floor of the ship. The son had watched and waited with a mop handle clutched in his shaking fingers, brandishing it towards the murderers who had killed his future...

Blinking, Zarak forced himself back to the present and suppressed the dark memories that still tried to consume him. He could not afford to be distracted, not now, not so close to the execution of his plan.

The journey to the Coryii was over before he could rightly regather his thoughts. With a deep breath, he rested a reassuring hand on Okonwe's shoulder, giving it a light squeeze before she disappeared and he stepped forward to join Kiyan. The Coryii were anything but what he expected, and at the same time he was not surprised. Their tattoos and beaded hair was different from Kiyan's people, but it was simply their way of decoration. Kiyan wore a necklace of shells, these men painted their skin and wound things in their hair. Of course, Zarak himself could appreciate that type of decor for he himself had tied a seagull's feather in a lock of his curly hair, and a banded tattoo encircled his upper arm. Of course, these were nothing compared to the Coryii, but it was at least something he could understand. The one thing on his person that seemed slightly out of place was the silver pendant that was wound on a piece of leather cord around his neck.

It was a representation of his past, and he refused to talk about it with anyone. When he finally came to his senses after the shipwreck, he had breathed a sigh of relief when he had felt it securely around his neck despite the trauma he had experienced.

That aside, he was surprised by the strange beasts that the Coryii commanded. Their fur itself was enough to draw the eye if not their strange apparent mix of creature...and then the teeth that showed every once in a while made him wonder just what kind of creature these were...perhaps it would be a good starting point for their journey. If he were to continue his trader facade, he would certain be interested in these fascinating new creatures. He filtered through appropriate questions: how much can these creatures pull? Where can they be found? Are they for sale? Could he catch one himself to take back to the main cities?

Of course, he would have to tread lightly...the last thing he wanted to do was frighten them or something. Who knew what men in skirts would think?

"Zarak." he replied to the question with a smile as he continued to wipe the excess blood from his face. He was sure that he looked a proper mess and hoped that it would aid his endeavors rather than hinder them. "I'm the trader that's suppose t'accompany ya to yer village then be on my way." with a chuckle he gestured to his nose and continued, "Sorry 'bout this. The boy has a mean streak in 'im."

Now was the point where he had either made a grave mistake, or had given them another reason to want Kiyan out of their sight. He just hoped it was the latter. The less they wanted him, the more they thought he would cause problems, the easier it would be to convince them to let him go. Gods, Goddess, God, anything that was listening, he asked the universe itself to help him.

"I'll try t'stay out of yer way on the trip." he added, "But let me know if I can help ya at all."

Rhindeer

The older man raised his eyebrows and leaned in a little closer to get a better look at Zarak, finally realizing that that was blood covering his face; it had been tricky to see in the dawn light. Recoiling, he flashed a look at Kiyan, who only straightened up and met the man's gaze defiantly. Yeah, he'd punched Zarak. Kiyan wasn't going to deny that he did. No point denying it and, besides, Kiyan firmly believed that Zarak deserved it and he sure wasn't going to apologize for that; he wasn't going to apologize to a man who had lied to him and betrayed him as thanks for saving his life.

But because he also wasn't going to stoop to Zarak's level and because he was going to take the higher ground, he wouldn't tell these people the truth about his pirate 'friend'.

...Partially because if the truth came out, who knew what would happen to Zarak? He might be killed. Kiyan might hate the man now, but part him also still clung to the kindness he'd shown him--hah, what a joke--and he didn't want anymore blood on his hands than that which he'd gotten when he'd broken his nose. He didn't think he could live with himself, knowing something he'd said had put a person to death.

But then Zarak spoke and Kiyan started to regret that decision, body going stiff as a board.

"What? You filthy liar! I saved your life!" Kiyan yelled, those words piercing him like a knife in the back and giving it a swift, sharp twist for good measure. Mean steak?! How could he?! His hands curled into fists and without thinking he lunged for Zarak, but a strong pair of hands caught him by the arms and yanked him backwards, pinning his arms behind his back even as he thrashed. "I never did anything to you! I saved you, Zarak, and you lied! Why're you doing this?"

Oh, great, now he was crying. How manly. Shame washed over him but he couldn't seem to stop it, even though up until this point he'd managed to do a good job of shedding tears only in private. But with his arms pinned and no physical way to take out the rage and hurt of pure and utter betrayal, of losing everything, that seemed the only other outlet he had. His shoulders shook with sobs and he looked away and closed his eyes, embarrassed, and heard the man holding him chuckle and mutter something about crocodile tears.

"Mean streak, huh?" the older man said, giving Kiyan a once over and crossing his arms. Right now he didn't look mean, he just looked like some defeated and pathetic kid, but judging by his actions he would have attacked the trader if they hadn't been quick to grab him--and from the looks of it, he'd done it once before. That certainly lined up with everything they'd heard about the delinquent.

He shook his head and let out a long suffering sigh, looking back to Zarak. "Since you two are already acquainted, you can help keep watch over him, make sure he doesn't run." Clearly, he was less than thrilled about taking the kid back with them. It was custom--he had wronged their tribe, so they would take him back as their prisoner where they could keep him in their sight, punish him, and ensure it never happened again--but he was still a burden. "And if you can hunt, you can assist along the way."

The caravan was moving now, and the man started to walk, motioning for Zarak to follow. Kiyan stumbled along as the man holding him shoved him forward, and threw one last look over at Zarak.

Why? That was all he wanted to know...
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Goldie

Zarak smiled pleasantly at the tribesman and nodded his assent.

"Of course! I'd be more than happy t'keep an eye on him." He shook his head and swept his gaze over Kiyan critically before turning back to the other men. "Ya know...you all are good people wantin' t'honor yer agreement...if it was me, I'd get rid of him first thing....can't bring ya nothin' but trouble."

Again, he had either just laid the seed, or had made a terrible mistake. The worse he could make Kiyan appear...the more trouble he would be to the tribe, the angrier he became, Zarak hoped that it would make these men want to get rid of him that much faster. He wouldn't play his hand until the evening, alone with the leader of this other tribe. It wouldn't do to declare it to everyone in case they decided Zarak was the threat, not the boy....

No...he would have to play his hands carefully....so carefully....

"And o'course I'll help ya hunt! Although, I don' have any o'my weapons. They were lost in the storm."

That said, Zarak took is place by Kiyan as the caravan began moving and looked over at the boy with a grin. Time to bury the knife even deeper.

"Looks like it's gonna be a fun trip, eh?" He even nudged Kiyan in the side like he would to a close friend sharing in a joke. He just hoped that Kiyan took the bait. Zarak wanted him to pop....to explode....to be a loose cannon. Of course, it would be really hard to convince the kid that it was all part of the plan to get him out afterwards...but it had to look real. Really, really real.

Please, do something stupid.

Rhindeer

Kiyan tolerated it as best as he could. He really did try, tried to block out the words, each one like a spear through his skin, tried to ignore it, tried to let it roll off him like water off palm leaves.

For two minutes, it almost worked.

Then Zarak came over, all friendly-like, and nudged him as though letting him in on some silly joke, like he hadn't just been spreading lies about him, like he hadn't just turned around and betrayed him--and like Kiyan was too stupid to realize it.

That was all it took for Kiyan to lose it completely.

"LEAVE ME ALONE!" Kiyan yelled, as loud as he could, and threw his arm out to clock Zarak in the face yet again before following it up with a hard shove to get the bastard away from him. He didn't care who saw or who heard. Let them all bear witness! "I HATE YOU! You're a liar, a double-headed snake! I can't believe I ever trusted you! I SHOULD HAVE LET YOU DIE!"

Goldie

Ouch.

He hadn't exactly counted on the kid wacking him in the face again. Now, the nose that had been broken earlier smashed again against his face and the blood he had just barely been able to staunch now flowed freely. His upper lip was dyed crimson, his neck and shirt quickly becoming soaked. The cloth he was using before no longer offered any aid in stopping it.

Awesome.

Well, he really couldn't have asked for a better outburst, but ow! Tears streamed down his face, as was quite common with broken noses. He didn't understand how he could break his leg and just wince but damnit when it came to broke noses....

While he struggled with his own injury, Zarak could hear the commotion Kiyan's actions had caused even if his blurred eyes made it impossible to see exactly what. What he did know, though, was someone was leading him somewhere. The soaked cloth he was using was ripped from his hands and replaced with another. There was dark murmuring around him and he blinked away tears to try and make out exactly what was going on. Kiyan was nowhere to be seen, but he was sure, considering the size of the caravan, he wasn't far. But chances were he was being tied up or restrained or something.

Right now, the older man was crouching before Zarak and held the towel to his face; tut tutting. His wizened eyes looked worried.

Perfect.

"He's got quite th'temper." commented Zarak, wincing at the pain talking brought to his face.

"Indeed." the older man grunted. "He will only bring trouble."

If he could have, Zarak would have nodded, but his current situation didn't exactly allow that much movement. The man held the cloth to his face firmly and any type of movement would just further the bleeding, which didn't feel like it was going to stop anytime soon.

"Have ya thought abou' just....lettin' him go?"

The man's eyes narrowed and his lips thinned, "That is not an option. He dishonored us and must be punished for it."

"What abou'....ya know....if he was to go t'somethin' worse than yer tribe."

He frowned but said nothing. Zarak needed to tread carefully....so carefully. This elder looked as if he wanted nothing more than to get Kiyan off of his hands, but honor and tradition wouldn't allow it....not just to let him go....

"I can take 'im." Zarak met the man's eyes levelly. "He would be off o'yer hands an--"

"We will talk tonight." He pressed the towel into Zarak's hands and walked away.

The seed had been sown. Now he just needed to wait out the day.

Rhindeer

Kiyan had cranked his arm back and was about ready to punch Zarak again, but a hand grabbed his wrist then and wrenched it behind his back until he cried out in pain, and it didn't stop until he finally stopped struggling. Still he glared death at Zarak, chest heaving and hands balled into fists that he wished he could use on the man. No more tears. He was long past the hurt and now just angry.

"They weren't joking when they said he was mean," the man that intercepted Kiyan, a young hunter, muttered. He tugged Kiyan backwards and he gave a yelp, grimacing and squirming; a little more pressure and it would pop his shoulder right out.

"He's the mean one! He's a lying bastard!" Kiyan gasped. "He's a backstabber! He'll use you and--nngh!" Another tug on his arm shut him up and made him go still and pale. The man holding him shot Zarak an apologetic look, though Zarak probably couldn't see it--he looked wrapped up in conversation at the moment--then let go of Kiyan's arm so he could shove him along toward the front of the caravan, where he could be under the watchful eye of the sterner huntsmen--or be tossed in with the rest of the cargo if he didn't behave.

Kiyan twisted around to get in one last look at Zarak, and his eyes reflected pure hate.

He should have never helped him. Should have never trusted him.

[ooc: should we time skip? x3]

Goldie

(Skipping forward a couple hours! I am a time lord! And....maybe been watching too much Doctor Who lately.... >_>)

Zarak laid on the ground with the blanket the traders had provided him and watched the moon slowly rise in the sky, unable to sleep. His meeting with the tribesmen had been split and the decision had been anything but unanimous. These were definitely an honorable bunch of people and could not overlook what was "right" in lieu of Kiyan's volatile and hostile attitude.

The pirate knew what he needed to do, but the truth of the matter was if it came down to a chase, they would lose. Kiyan was sure to struggle, which would draw attention, which would slow them down and get them caught. Even if Kiyan, although unlikely, was more glad to get away from his "duty" and they made good time, the tribesmen knew these woods better than either of them, he was sure. Zarak needed allies, he needed someone on the inside to help him, but the decision had been made. He had fought valiantly but without a majority they would not allow him to take their prisoner from his fate.

"He has done nothing to warrant death." one man said from the sidelines, "Our laws and traditions are just and do not involve slavery or outsiders."

"But you ARE enslaving him." Zarak protested as nods of agreement followed the tribesman's words. He knew he was losing them and there was nothing he could do. "Not in the same manner, but it is no different than what I propose. You've
seen how he reacts. What else needs to happen before he picks up a knife and does something that does warrant death?"

Zarak had been convinced he had them then...but things went downhill and he was escorted from the tent and informed that the moment they arrived at their town, he was to take his things and leave.

At a loss, he ran his hand over his face from the ground he had been allotted to sleep.

"It's all gone to shit..." he muttered, running scenarios over and over again in his head. He hadn't been lying when he spoke to the tribesmen. Left to his own devices, Kiyan could easily slip over the line and do something stupid that would get himself killed.

Unintentionally he dozed; plans weaving a web of bizarre dreams before he was jolted awake.

Instinctively, Zarak hand clasped around the knife by his side as he assess the danger around him. A face loomed above him, a hand shaking his shoulder to wake him from his slumber.

"Trader Zarak." the man whispered, "Take him."

Zarak blinked, confused, "Eh?"

"The boy. It is my guard and I want you to take him as far from here as you can."

"Kiyan?" He was still waking and it made him stupid, "But why?" Your folk decided for tradition."

"The girl he violated is my cousin."

"Ah...." Zarak understood, and was not about to question this man lest he change his mind. Quickly, he stood, re-sheathed his knife and rolled his sleeping blanket into a tight bundle which he tied nimbly onto his back.

"I will tell everyone in the morning and you will not be followed." The man turned on heel and stalked off into the camp, leaving Zarak to do what he needed to get Kiyan safely away.

Bedroll securely tied, Zarak made his way toward the edge of camp where Kiyan was kept for the night. This would be the tricky part. If Kiyan woke and cried out, all would be lost. He needed to make sure Kiyan stayed quiet without hindering his movements.

Finally, he reached Kiyan.

Hesitating only for a moment, Zarak leaned down and pressed his hand firmly around Kiyan's mouth before shaking the boy awake. He hoped the darkness masked his identity and that he could alter his voice enough to sound like one of the other men.

"Wake up." he growled, mimicking their accent, "You've been summoned."

(Note also that I've given up the accent xD)

Rhindeer

It took several hours, but eventually Kiyan managed to drift off into a restless, dreamless sleep.

He was jolted awake by a hand over his mouth and another shaking his shoulder and, heart leaping into his throat, he gave a cry that was thankfully muffled. His first instinct was to struggle, but then the man spoke and he went still, though he was still tense and stiff and his heart thundered in his ears. Eyes wide and thoroughly disoriented, he stared up at the man but couldn't make him out in the darkness, his vision far from adjusted and mind still hazy from sleep.

Summoned...? For what? Now?

It was several more confused moments before Kiyan gave a slow nod to show that he'd understood.

Goldie

Zarak nodded back, assuming that Kiyan could at least see his silhouette, before pulling the boy roughly to his feet. The moon was high enough in the sky to make the pirate visible outside of the shadows, so he made sure to keep Kiyan in front of him with a hand firmly clamped on his shoulder to steer him toward the woods.

"No talking." he growled, just to keep Kiyan quiet. The last thing he needed was Kiyan to raise the alarm before they were far enough away.

His stomach was in knots as the trees closed in around them. The tribesman had said that they wouldn't be followed, but how could he be sure that was true? Sure, they were split on the decision to allow Kiyan to be sold as a slave, but that was only because many of them knew or were related to the girl Kiyan had "ruined." Zarak knew that there would be dissension in the ranks, having seen people fight over moral decisions hundreds of times on his ship. When faced with the "right" versus the "easy" decision, peoples' true nature came out...but in his mind, getting rid of Kiyan had been the easy decision and they had chosen the "moral" one. Which meant....would they just let him go?

Zarak fingered the knife he had tucked in his belt absently. He could fight, sure, but not nearly well enough to defeat dozens of men in terrain that he was unfamiliar with, with a kid who would gladly go back with the people who truly planned to enslave him.

What had he gotten himself into? What was he bloody thinking? There was no way this was going to work.

The camp had been out of view for nearly a half an hour before Zarak felt they were far enough away to reveal himself. He was sure that Kiyan was terrified out of his mind, thinking he was going to be offed or something. Not that Zarak could blame him....it was the middle of the night, he was being led into the heart of the forest away from camp and everything he had ever known.

Zarak steered Kiyan up against against one of the large tropical trees and turned him around so he could see him for the first time.

"Kiyan, listen to me." He no longer changed his voice, letting Kiyan know who it was that had hold of him. He also tightened his grip expecting Kiyan to bolt the moment his rouse was revealed. "I know you're angry. I needed you to be angry in order to get you away without raising suspicion."

He watched Kiyan's face intently, waiting for the onslaught of curses and flailing.

Rhindeer

Kiyan had been nervous at first. Only nervous, mind racing and wondering over what he could possibly be summoned for in the dead of the night. Someone needed to talk to him? About what? What were--

...Wait, they were heading away from camp.

And into the woods.

That was the point when nervousness turned into real fear.

Someone who didn't want him to know their identity was leading him far away from the camp, to a place where no one would hear him, had made it very clear they didn't want him to give them away...his imagination took off from there, but he didn't want to think it, didn't want to think it even possible, but there were no other reasons he could come up with as to why. Kiyan's mouth went dry and he felt his hands start to shake and he tripped more than he should have when he was normally surefooted. They wouldn't do that. They couldn't. This tribe was a lot of things, but they didn't...they didn't kill people. They weren't murderers. They didn't like him and he knew that, but they wouldn't kill him...

But more time passed and they only went deeper and deeper into the woods, far away from camp now, and Kiyan found himself on the edge of panic. He wanted to talk to the man, ask him what was happening--but stopped when he imagined him with a knife at his back. Maybe he should run. Just try. The man had a good grip on his shoulder but he could probably break it and--and then what? Run as long as he could in territory he'd never been in? It was better than the alternative. He could put up a fight, too. He wasn't very good but he'd try. The man seemed large, taller than him and strong from what he could tell, but he had to try.

His throat was tight and he was having a little trouble breathing, trying to work himself up to this while his mind went wild and wondered what it would feel like to be stabbed, to have your throat opened like an animal's.

He was tense and readying himself to bolt when the man suddenly steered him up against a tree and turned him so he could face him, and he felt his grip tighten on him. That was when the panic crashed over him, because this was it, he was gonna die--and right when it counted the most, he felt his body seize up with terror, muscles locking as he froze in place. The words that spilled out weren't very macho, but a gasped, "Wait!"

And that was when the words and voice sank in, and Kiyan jerked his eyes up to the man's face--and noticed the too-pale hair.

"Zarak?"

For a few seconds he just stared, panting slightly, his mind struggling to make sense of everything. But then anger slowly crept in to replace terror and he jerked against Zarak's grip, glaring death at the man.

"You bastard! Let go! This isn't funny!"

Goldie

"No." Zarak told Kiyan calmly, tightening his hold, "And you'd best stop squirming or I will have to knock you out now shut up and listen. I'm not gonna apologize for how I've treated you cause you're a damn terrible actor and none of this would have worked if you had know."

He paused to watch Kiyan's reaction, trying to make him understand just what was at stake.

"Your people think that I'm a slave trader from the Eastern Kingdoms and that I'm going to sell you to the highest bidder when we reach the city. If we keep walking East we're bound to hit something, some civilization, who will hopefully help us reach Adela, or Serendipity, or gods forbid Connlaoth, but we will be away and I can find a ship for us both. Hell, I could captain one myself if I had the coin and support."

And how glorious that day would be....Captain Zarak...

"Your people were split when I told them my plan. Many saw your actions toward me as more than hostile and feared what you might do once living there, married to some old crone. They turned me down, insistent upon tradition and other bloody stupid nonsense. You're lucky that enough of them are related to or know the girl you've 'ruined' and your guard woke me. I was told we won't be followed, but I'm not about to take their word for it seeing as tradition overrules sense to most of those people."

He took a deep breath.

"Now, you're going to come quietly with me because I didn't go through all of this trouble just for you to run back with your tail between your legs. As long as you're with me, you're free of tradition, you're free of your 'crime.' You took care of me, now it's my turn to return the favor. So. Will you come with me or do I have to hit you over the head and drag you through the jungle?"

Rhindeer

Kiyan froze at those words though his glare didn't subside--even if a troubled look had bled into the anger. And it only increased with each word the pirate spoke. So...Zarak was telling him that it had all been fake? All those terrible things he'd said, the cold and dismissive and mocking way he'd treated him? It was all just an act? Kiyan's mind struggled to grasp the new information and understand it, but it was difficult. It made sense, but the raw emotion he felt undermined the logic and all he felt was scared and hurt and confused and he couldn't quite shake the sense of betrayal.

And after all that, how could he know for sure? How could he know that Zarak was telling the truth now? It did make sense...but...

And Zarak just wanted to help him...? That was what all this was about? To get him out of a bad situation?

A wide range of conflicting emotion played across Kiyan's face, but in the end he just let his shoulders sag, relaxing a little--more out of defeat than comfort. He was angry, sure, and his trust had been broken, but there was that part of him that wanted to believe him, wanted him to still be the man he'd first met and rescued, who had been so easy to talk to, so kind...

"I don't know what any of those places are..." he muttered after a long pause, not looking at Zarak. "I dunno what I'd do there..."

Goldie

Zarak watched the emotions rage in Kiyan's face. The kid was scared, angry, and all around confused which was a good thing. Fear would help keep him alive. The world was a terrible place and he'd have to learn quickly how to manage himself in tough situations. Zarak would make a man of him yet, even if he had to beat it into him.

Of course, if Kiyan decided that he wanted to leave once they were far enough away from the tribes, Zarak wasn't about to stop him. The kid needed to work things out. Of course, there would be no kidding himself that they'd ever see each other again. The world was big and he didn't exactly have a steady address. If the kid decided to bolt, he'd truly be on his own. Hopefully the journey ahead would prepare him enough should the situation call for it.

"If the jungle is any kind of clue, I'd say we have some time before stumbling upon anything resembling civilization. That'll be plenty of time to teach you the basics and...." he looked up and down his charge and smirked, "You know....get you into some pants. Not that there's anything wrong with the man-skirt you've got going on here, but it'll be a little hard to fight if the situation calls for it." Still, the pirate watched Kiyan warily. The past time they'd spent together was enough to prove that he was a prone to lashing out irrationally when faced with difficulties.

That'd have to stop now.

"If you're okay with that, we have to get going. Got a lot of ground to cover. You ready?" he was prepared to let go and begin walking depending on his answer.

Rhindeer

A frown etched itself into Kiyan's face as Zarak spoke. He didn't understand what was wrong with his clothes yet Zarak had always been so...he'd always seemed to find it strange. And fighting? What? Who said anything about fighting? Kiyan didn't want to fight! Why would they even need to? And who?

He finally met Zarak's eyes, though, and gave a small nod of understanding. What choice did he really have? He couldn't go back, that was for certain. There was nowhere to go but forward.

He leaned back against the tree completely then, the fight slipping out of him. He had a lot of questions but he didn't know where to start except with the big one.

Nodding slowly, he let out a breath he'd been holding. "Yeah," he said. "Okay." And then, after a pause, he added, "You didn't mean it, did you?"

Goldie

Zarak let go of Kiyan's shoulders as he slumped against the tree. It was clear that the fight had drained from him so he wasn't afraid the kid would bolt or anything. In fact, he was pretty sure that the poor boy was going through a bit of overload at the moment. Of course, who could blame him? It wasn't every day you were sentenced to a kind of death only to be rescued by a pirate who had treated you like a common criminal.

HA! Common criminal. Could a pirate actually treat someone else like that? The whole idea was ridiculous and highly hypocritical. Zarak had "ruined" enough women in his time to find the entire idea ridiculous. Of course, he was sure their father's never found out about the dalliance. And the few who had hadn't been all that accommodating of the strange man in their "virginal" daughter's bed.

Serendipty was by far his favorite port. The women there were always so lithe and sensual. Perfect territory for sure. Not to mention the large pearl exports that were gold for any pirate. He hoped that they'd stumble there first. A chest full of pearls would be enough to hold them off for years.

"Kiyan," Zarak responded to his question as seriously as he could, "I'm a pirate. D'you really think I would judge you for wanting to feel close to a woman? C'mon," he mussed through Kiyan's hair affectionately, "We have a lot of ground to cover."

He looked up at the stars that peaked through the trees to find The Wandering Lady - a constellation that would point them northeast. He was pretty sure, after factoring in where the storm had possibly thrown the ship off course, that was the way to go.

"Oh, nearly forgot." he reached into his boot and flipped a short dagger into his hand, along with a worn, salt stained hilt. "Here." he handed it to Kiyan, "It won't do you good 'till you know how to use it, but in case there are wild beasts about. I suggest not using it if we come in contact with any people - with any training your knife'll be outta your hands and used against you 'fore you blink. If that's the case, use your fists." he smirked and brushed his thumb against his broken nose, "I'm sure you'll do damage with that. But take the knife just in case."

Rhindeer

Kiyan ducked his head reflexively, but not in time to avoid getting his hair all mussed. It was jarring, how familiar Zarak was being again after treating him so poorly, but...

It was all for a reason.

He was rescuing him.

Between the betrayal and the blinding fear that he was being escorted into the woods to be murdered, it was taking a little time for him to catch up with this new twist! And yet, that little affectionate gesture...

This was Zarak. This was the Zarak he knew.

He was still recovering when the man handed him a knife, and for a second Kiyan just stared stupidly at it before he cautiously accepted it. Ah! That reminded him!

Holding the knife awkwardly, blade down, Kiyan cleared his throat. "Ah, yeah, about that...do you...really think we'll be fighting?" he asked, eyes wide. What kind of place were they going to?! "I've never really--I mean, it's not good to fight. Er..." His eyes flicked to Zarak's nose and his cheeks colored a bit in shame. "I shouldn't have done that. I didn't even mean to. It's just, well, what you said--I'm sorry."

Goldie

Zarak couldn't help but laugh - loudly and full of mirth - when Kiyan stumbled through his apology. It reminded him of a time long ago and practically forgotten when a young boy stood in the corner of a ships cabin wielding a broom over the corpses of his dead parents.

That was the first time Zarak had thrown his childhood to the dogs. That was the last time he had the luxury of being an innocent boy. It was nostalgic to see that seven year old boy in Kiyan, and sad too. Sad to know that Kiyan could have been him. He could have been raised in a community of love, loyalty, and traditions, but he had been forced on his path by forces out of his control and he fought his way every day.

Kiyan was a fighter, he could see that much, and he would do well in the world with a nudge in the right direction.

"Don't worry 'bout it, kid." he grinned, gingerly touching his swollen nose, "Y'did what you felt was right and in that type of circumstance who could blame you? Not me. I've broken enough noses and had mine broken enough times to be over it. Quite a good right hook y'got though."

The pirate looked at the blade, held awkwardly in Kiyan's hand, "Yeah, you're gonna have to learn to use it. The world's a hard place and a man's gotta have certain skills t'get by. I'm not saying I'm training you t'be a murderer or nothing but it's always good to have a blade for defense."

Zarak frowned at the way Kiyan wrapped his hand around the blade - like he was getting ready to skin a rabbit or something, certainly not defend himself.

"Here." he stepped forward and  pulled Kiyan's arm out. He flipped the blade and rearranged his fingers to hold the blade correctly. They needed to get away, but Kiyan wouldn't be a lick of help if he stood around like a fawn - jumping at every noise with a useless knife by his side. "Don't hold it like your gettin' ready to skin something. You've gotta have a firm grasp on the hilt but be fluid with your wrist and arm. Don't stick your finger out along the top either - that's asking for someone to break it or chop it off." he stepped back and held out his arms.

"Now...try to stick me."