Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Under the greenwood tree

Started by Anonymous, November 08, 2011, 07:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Do me a favor, Stone.

It wasn't often that the Dean of Sostrata contacted the heir. The two had a love-hate relationship – they used each other whenever they could while smiling serenely in the other's faces, playing their own little miserable mind games. He would give lectures here and greet the new students from time to time, but only if she let him into their library, into the restricted tomes. It was a situation the two dealt with because they needed each other.

It was not because Gemini Stone was, in any way, shape, or form, philanthropic. Oh, heavens no.

He was in charge of tutoring a new student, it seemed. She was a different case – someone who had control over the basic four elements. While making his way through Sostrata's courtyard, he glanced casually at the rings that adorned his fingers, remembering what it was like to deal with being talented in multiple areas of magic at once. Of course, his status as a Sostrata alumnus and being an accomplished mage, one of House Stone at that, would make him the perfect candidate for a tutor.

The heir had written up a quick letter to the student to meet her in the courtyard for her first tutoring session. It was a cool summer's day; a slight breeze rippled through the yard, teasing the heir's purple locks, toying with the fur that lined his silver jacket. He rested a hand at his hip, leaning against a large tree in the middle of the courtyard, casting his crimson out towards the rest of the court. He was a man of little patience, but he was eager to meet this student for the first time. It would be interesting, to see how she was dealing with having the ability to use all four basic elements. It wasn't an easy thing to control. He would know.

Granted, he had things to do, but when the Dean went out of her way to contact him, well, even Gemini knew that it was best to answer to her call. He laughed to himself – he had always been the Dean's lapdog, no? Even after graduating, he couldn't escape this fate. Crossing his hands over his chest, he rolled his eyes at himself. "Gemini," he muttered to himself, running a hand through his hair. "Why do you always sign yourself up for these things...?"

He didn't have an answer, so silence befell him once again, the wind whistling through the treetops.

Anonymous

Kia, Petronel, Kitharon..somebody help me, Evelyn thought as she threw her hands up out of sheer frustration.  If only she could control her magic, then maybe she wouldn't have to go to tutoring.  She sighed.  She couldn't help but think about what her parents would think if they knew their prodigal daughter needed tutoring. They probably wouldn't even believe her.  She let out another shriek of frustration as she pounded towards the courtyard. It just had to be a male tutor, didn't it? Their were plenty of female tutors, but it just had to be a male, she thought as she pulled her hood farther in front of her face.

Coming from just a little farther up was a male voice, a charming male voice.  Evelyn shook her head. No, she wasn't goig there.  Offering one last prayer up to the Gods, she took her final steps towards her tutor.  "Um, I'm guessing you're Gemini Stone?" she asked, cautiously raising her head to get a good look at him. The sight of the man in front of her made her quietly curse. She sighed, Petronel..why must you tease me so?

Anonymous

"Um, I'm guessing you're Gemini Stone?"

"The one and only," was Gemini's confirmation. He uncrossed his arms, stepping away from the trunk of the greenwood tree, while offering her a grin and an outstretched hand for her to shake. Of course, he was a gentleman at heart, was he not? Immediately, his crimson eyes sized her up – she was not what he was expecting, but then again, he hadn't been expecting much.

She was so short, for one – the heir must've stood at least half a foot higher than her,  and the contrast between their heights made him chuckle. "Oh, aren't we adorably small?" he cooed, aiming to place a hand on her head, like one would a child. "The Dean told me you're nineteen, but was she lying to me, I wonder?" He placed a hand on his hip, raised a slender purple brow. "Are you positive you're the Evelyn Rider I'm supposed to meet?"

Ah – he was only teasing. He was mischievous, perhaps, but certainly not malicious – mostly. Gemini, while he was an esteemed alumnus (probably one of the most esteemed alumni that Sostrata had taught – that was alive anyway) he was far from being the typical professional, serious tutor, as Evelyn would soon find out.

Anonymous

"The one and only.." she heard her new tutor say. Lovely, she thought, he sounds full of himself. Now, not only do she have a male tutor but a male who is full of himself. Great. She mentally groaned, while shaking his hand. This was just what she needed.  She looked him up and down.  Yes, she bit her lip, she could see why he was full of himself.  No, she started mentally reprimanding herself. No, no, a million times no.  She shook her head trying to banish the thoughts from her mind.  Men couldn't be trusted. She knew that.  Hadn't her past taught her that?  She sighed.  She couldn't deal with something like that, no matter how much she longed for the companionship.

During her trip down memory lane, she hadn't realized that her new tutor was talking to her.  "Oh, aren't we adorably small?" she heard him say, placing a hand on her head.  She immediately started to get red in the face.  One of the things that pushed her buttons the most was people treating her like a child.  "Listen here buddy," she poked him hard in the chest,"I am not a child. I'm very much 19 years old, thank you.  Also, I am Evelyn Rider."  She glared at him, silently fuming.  How dare he treat her like a child?  How dare he?

She was so angry that she hadn't even realized her hood had fallen down during her rant.  She gasped, quickly pulling her hood back over her head.  She immediately regretted what she said.  No matter how annoyed he made her, she couldn't lose her cool.  She did after all need his help.  Well, okay...she would try not to get mad at him.  She quickly started to apologize to him.  "Sorry, I'm sorry, sorry," she mumbled, cautiously gauging his reaction.  She bit her lip, please don't be mad.  "So, about our first tutoring session?" she asked, attempting a small smile.  Yes, she nodded, a change of subject was definitely needed.

Anonymous

Ah – there was a spark! It was a hint of anger in her that he'd definitely hadn't expected, and he especially didn't foresee her poking him, of all things! "Okay, okay," Gemini laughed, clutching a hand over where she had poked him. "You've made your point quite clear, I assure you!" He rubbed the spot she'd poked playfully, as if he'd been seriously injured, before placing his hand on his hip again.

At her mumbled apology, Gemini shook his head. "Oh, don't apologize, of all things," Gemini insisted, still sporting that amused grin. While his expression may have been carefree, he was being serious here. "Feel free to get angry at me at your leisure. Your tutoring will undoubtedly be quite stressful, and I'm sure you'll want someone to take your frustrations out on in the future. That's why I'm here, of course." After all, if she really did have the capacity to control the four basic elements, then they were in for a hell of a ride.

Vaguely, he wondered why she felt a need to wear that hood over her head – she was a charming girl underneath the hood, it seemed – but that was something he'd tease her about later.

"So, about our first tutoring session?"

Gemini nodded – to business it was (for now). He removed his hand from his hip, recalling what the Dean had told him.

"The Dean told me that you have the potential to control the four base elements, but that's about all I know." Well, he also knew her name and how old she was, but that was it. "How capable are you of controlling them, as of now? For example, if I asked you to do this—"

Gemini snapped his fingers, and the smallest of flames appeared on the tip of his finger. It was a moderate maneuver – being able to control the flames and keep a constant, yet small amount of energy into the flame took some practice.

"— would you be able to do so?"

Fire was the most difficult, of course, so he would understand if she couldn't. He had also planned to meet in the courtyard inside of a stuffy classroom in case her powers decided to go out of control. Should things get heated (pardon the pun), he would be able to control any outburst of power out here.

Anonymous

[OOC: Kitharon is the god of inner strength and wisdom, by the way.  I randomly made him up. xD]

Evelyn looked her tutor up and down, as he pretended she wounded him. So this is the infamous Gemini Stone, Heir to the House of Stone? Hm, she titled her head to the side, she expected the heir to look more prince-like.  Well, he did have a unique hair and eye color. That's sort of prince-like, she thought.  

As soon as he stopped rubbing the area she poked, she started poking his chest repeatedly.  She couldn't help it.  He just seemed so fun to tease.  "So," she said,"the famous Gemini Stone gets wounded by a small girl poking him, huh?" She lifted her head up a fraction of an inch, smirking. "They make anyone a knight these days, don't they?" She gasped and quickly covered her mouth with both of her hands.  What had she just done, she thought.  This was not how her parents wanted her to act.  Hopefully, her parents wouldn't find out about that blunder. 

"Feel free to get angry at me at your leisure," he told her.  "Don't worry," she attempted a smile,"I don't get angry." That was a lie, she knew it and he probably did too but it's what her parents would want her to say.  They didn't want her to get angry.  Ladies didn't get angry.  She sighed. Why did she have such a hard time adhering to that rule?  She stared at her tutor as he talked to her.  

Then he said something that made her freeze.  "For example, if I asked you to do this," Gemini snapped his fingers and a small flame appeared,"would you be able to do so?" She bit her lip.  Fire, it just had to be fire, didn't it?  She was scared, beyond scared of hurting someone but she couldn't get control of her magic if she didn't use it.  Offering one last prayer up to Kitharon, she snapped her fingers and a small flame appeared. She did it, she thought. The minute she started to smile though, the flame went out. She sighed, "Guess  I'm a little rusty, huh?" Great, he was probably wondering why a mage who didn't use her magic was here.  He must think she was crazy.

Anonymous

Ah, okay, okay— one poke was fine, but a barrage of pokes was toeing the line. He was her tutor, after all, and there were certain boundaries that had to be made, no? Granted, he had never had a pupil that had been bold enough to poke him— hell, most of his pupils barely managed to speak two words to him. While it was refreshing to have a student that had a bit of fire in her, this was a wee bit too much.

He placed a hand over the area where she'd poked— pretending still, but that grin of his grew wry. "I know it's hard to keep your hands off me, doll," be began, that grin morphing into the smallest of smirks, "But I'll have to ask that you refrain from assaulting me until our lesson's over."

"They make anyone a knight these days, don't they?"

Ah! That actually caught him off guard. His hand returned to his hip, still grinning, despite everything. It would seem that Gemini Stone was a man who was amused at everything, but underneath that grin, the smallest spark of annoyance had been lit. His knighthood was something he had strove for all of his adolescent life; it had been a process so arduous that it had broken a part of him in the process. But he said nothing, and chuckled.

"You'd be surprised," was his only quip to the contrary.

It seemed that she could barely make a small flame dance on her finger, but he had expected as much. "Rusty? Maybe. But I wouldn't worry. Fire is perhaps the hardest of elements to control— it is arrogant, unruly and won't obey just anyone." He paused for a moment, thinking it over. "We'll start with water and work our way up from there." He turned away from the greenwood tree, walking to her side. "Follow me— we'll head towards the pond to start."

In the middle of the courtyard was a moderately sized pond, where a few turtles and koi fish swam. It wasn't a long walk away, of course. He turned to her, looking her over. "You realize, that if you want to have mastery over your elements, that my tutelage over you will take some time, right? Months upon months of hard work. Maybe years, if you're unlucky." He was being serious now. "How dedicated are you to this study?" He had to know what he was getting into here.

Anonymous

"I know it's hard to keep your hands of me, doll."

Evelyn turned a a dark shade of red.  That wasn't what she wanted him to think at all.  She shyly looked down, but when looked back up she knew she had made a grave mistake in showing him her true personality. She sighed, she did it again.  Why?  She was just joking around, she hadn't meant to offend him in any way.  She was grateful towards him for doing this and she didn't want him to hate her.  She quietly sniffled, "I-I'm sorry Gemini.  I was just joking, promise.  I didn't mean to offend you." She looked up at him, frowning, "Please don't be mad at me.  I'm sure you worked hard to become a knight and deserve it." She looked down, biting her lip.  Quietly, she mumbled please don't hate me too. She had enough people who didn't like her, she didn't want to add someone else to that list.

She sighed, why did fire still scare her?  Why did that old memory still have control over her?  At least, Gemini didn't think she was a complete lost cause.  He did try to encourage her though, didn't he?  She pursed her lips, probably not.  The man probably hated her now. 

"Follow me-we'll head towards the pond to start," he told her.  She quickly started to follow after him.  Water, yes.  This was something she had confidence in, since she knew she couldn't hurt anyone with water.  She managed a small smile at that thought.  This might just turn out well.

What he said next though, made her smile quickly turn to a frown.  "You realize, that if you want to have mastery over your elements, that my tutelage over you will take some time, right? Months upon months of hard work. Maybe years, if you're unlucky." That sounded like a whole bunch of fun, she groaned.  Years with a man who probably didn't like her, lovely.  Regardless, she would keep coming to these sessions.  No amount of anger towards her would stop that.  She was determined to control her magic.

She stared at his back as she spoke,  "Gemini, I'm very dedicated to this.  I wouldn't have come here and I definitely wouldn't have signed up for  a tutor if I wasn't dedicated. " She sighed,"Listen, I want to be able to control the elements.  I want to bring honor to my family and I want to not hurt anyone by accident, so I will work hard.  I will learn to control the basic elements.  With or without your help, I will master them." She lifted her head up, completely confident, "I promise you that."

Anonymous

She really had been only joking. It was not her fault, he realized— there was no way she could've known about how his status as a knight was fluctuating, and constantly being questioned. In truth, he was a wretched knight, despite all of his hard work, so he couldn't help but get a little testy. But she hadn't known— hell, she had been brave to joke about it. He gave her a genuine smile, shaking his head.

"Don't worry about it, doll," He reassured, placing a hand on her shoulder. "Like you, I don't get angry, either." He laughed, but still, he was serious. "It's an ugly emotion, isn't it? Anger. I wouldn't hold a grudge over a small quip." Holding grudges, becoming incensed— that wasn't Gemini's style at all. No, anger wasn't beautiful, it was an unbecoming, ugly emotion. Truly, he didn't  hate her— hate took work, and it would take a lot more than a small quip to get Gemini Stone to hate someone.

He was a little worried, though, that his needless annoyance had shut out that spark of fire she had displayed before. It would be for the best if she could open up to him, but the heir was sure that she would, in time— and maybe, he'd be able to ask why she felt a need to wear that hood.

As they finally reached the pond, Evelyn told him how determined she was— that she would keep coming to the sessions, no matter how long it took. She had even promised. Gemini nodded, grinning. "Just what I wanted to hear," he said. "As long as you're dedicated, then I promise I'll stick with you until the end." For those who had stuck with him, his success rate as a tutor had always been phenomenal.

"Alright, doll— do you mind if I call you doll?" It didn't matter really, since he was going to keep doing it, since she was so small, crafted delicately, like a doll. It was a complement, really! "Show me what you can do with water— anything at all. It'll give me something to work from." He stood behind her, hand on hip, watching her curiously.

[ Edited for typos! -kicks typos in a bucket- ]

Anonymous

"Don't worry about it, doll."

She smiled.  Oh thank goodness, she let out a sigh of relief.  He didn't hate her.  He even told her he wouldn't hold a grudge over a small quip.  She managed a huge smile after he said that.  She was so glad he didn't hate her.  She genuinely liked him, and hoped he would take a liking towards her eventually too.  She looked up at Gemini, relief evident on her face, "Oh!  I'm so glad you aren't mad at me, really I am."

She broke out in a skip, as she made her way to the pond.  Maybe this might just turn out well after all, she thought.  Now not only were they heading off to work on something she had confidence in, but Gemini wasn't mad at her.  Yes, she smiled, this might not turn out so bad.

"Alright, doll— do you mind if I call you doll?" Doll?  She tilted her head to the side, mulling over the new nick name.  She liked it.  Evelyn smiled up at Gemini, "no, I don't mind that you call me doll." She blushed, "It's actually rather cute.  It reminds me of....well..of a doll." She started quietly laughing.  Not her best thought.  Sometimes she just couldn't think of the word she wanted to say.  She tweaked her nose.  Oh well...

She rubbed her hands together in excitement.  Okay, it's time to show
him what you got, Evelyn.  She smiled, she could do this.  She just needed to relax and not focus on her fear and unease.  She had to believe she could do this.  She took a deep breath, closed her eyes, and threw a hand out towards the water.  Focus Evelyn, she thought, this is your time to shine.  She stood utterly still for a second, just focusing on the water and then quickly threw her hand up into the air.  The water from the pond shot up and rose into the sky.  She lifted her head up, letting her hood fall down for once.  She smiled as she watched the rain fall down on them.  She laughed, glancing over at Gemini, "Water, it's lovely, isn't it?" 

Anonymous

Oh, so she didn't mind the nickname. That was good, considering Gemini had grown used to it and wasn't planning on giving it up anytime soon. He was known for them, the little names he would give people, whether they fancied them or not.

He watched her carefully as she took a deep breath and threw her hand out over the water. Her concentration seemed nearly impenetrable as she stood as still as a stone, but then finally, her hand stretched skyward, and water shot out from the pond.

The water rained down on them lightly, and Gemini held his hand out to catch a few if the droplets in his palm. It was an excellent display of power— she had a fine understanding of how to control it, but it could be improved upon, which is why he was here. But it was amazing, really— she had come close to emulating actual raindrops.

"Lovely indeed," he agreed, shaking his hands, as if doing so would remove the moisture. "Lovely, and positively wet." Rain was pretty to look at, but he did not enjoy getting wet. Like a fussy cat, he preferred not getting water in his clothes, but he would survive, for now.

"Your hold over water is excellent for your standing," he acknowledged with a grin. Water would definitely be the easiest of elements for her, it seemed. "But like anything, it can be improved upon." He stood over the pond, and as he did so, a mana ring on his left hand began to glow a shade of blue. "Controlling water as its flowing is a bit more challenging though. Come— true to emulate this maneuver." As he did so, water from the pond began to flow upwards towards him, in a steady waterfall, suspended in midair.

"They key to this is understanding the flow of the water. See how it tumbles downwards, not unlike a waterfall?" He looked down at the water he manipulated with his hands. "Picture a waterfall in your head, flowing downwards, and then copy that same flow. Understand it, and it shall be yours to mold."

Anonymous

Evelyn laughed, shaking her hair out like a wet dog would.  She looked over at Gemini, a ghost of a smile appearing on her face.  It took every ounce of her energy not to laugh at him.  He looked like a drenched dog, a very noble looking drenched dog, but a drenched dog none the less.  Wringing her hair out, she attempted an apologetic smile,"Sorry about that.  I guess I forgot that not everyone likes water." 

She pulled her hood back over her head, "I myself don't mind being wet." Evelyn immediately blushed a dark red when she realized how that came out.  "I didn't mean it like that," she stammered, "I meant I just don't mind getting wet sometimes." Great, she covered her face with both her hands realizing that came out wrong again.  Now he probably thinks I'm some sort of nymphomaniac, she groaned.  Lovely... "What I meant was I don't mind getting wet from the rain," she gestured towards him,"continue please."  Yes please, she thought, end this catastrophe now.

She carefully watched as her tutor explained and showed her the water bending technique.  Hm, she could see why he was regarded as one of the best tutors at this university. She smiled, glad she got him as a tutor.  Kia knew she needed all the help she could get.  "Picture a waterfall in your head, flowing downwards, and then copy that same flow," Gemini told her.  

Okay, she though, I can do that.  She stood over the pond and extended her hand.  Waterfall, waterfall, waterfall, she kept repeating over and over in her head. Just as the water started to rise up, she felt something crawl under her skirt.  She screamed and started running in circles, "creature under my dress! Creature under my dress!" With one final scream, she tripped over a log and fell flat on her face in the grass.  She blushed, gazing up at her tutor. "I guess we have a long ways to go, huh?" she said, the lizard crawling out from under her dress.

Anonymous

"I myself don't mind being wet."

Well, he didn't mind it either, really, but he liked to have some warning before rain started falling—

"I didn't mean it like that."

And now she was blushing. Why? Had he missed something? He placed a hand on his hip, watching her stammer and fumble out words, realizing that she had thought he would think something else from her word choice. He opened his mouth to say something, but figured he should just drop the subject. The heir chuckled a little, shaking his head— she was a different case, alright, but at least she was animated. He'd taken on too many pupils who would give him a deer-in-headlights stare and become overwhelmed by his presence, to the point where they wouldn't speak. At least he could hold a conversation with this one.

Silently, he examined her stance as she began to concentrate while standing over the pool of water. Her form was decent, and it looked as if she just might be able to pull forth a steady stream of water, but then— ah, a tragedy! Out of nowhere, she started screaming about something under her dress, and Gemini stared at her, a slightly alarmed expression on his face. "Wait, hold still, you'll only—" he began, but alas, too late! She had tripped over a poorly placed log, landing flat on her face. He winced at the sight, watching a lizard crawl out from beneath her.

Gemini offered a hand out to her, to help her get up from the grass. "We have quite a ways, doll," he agreed, but there was an amused expression on his face nonetheless. He pulled her up to her feet, then looked down to the grass, where the lizard still lurked. The heir pointed a slender finger at the creature, and a mana ring on his right hand glowed lavender purple.

The lizard levitated up towards him, and the heir held onto the creature with both hands. "You're not afraid of a harmless lizard, are you?" he asked, chuckling. "Look at him, he wouldn't even hurt a fly."

He stroked a finger on the lizard's head, still grinning. "Would it be wrong to assume that you're one of those nobles who doesn't get outside much?" he asked curiously. "When we work on your earth element, you'll have to spend quite a while away from the city. I'd suggest getting used to the local fauna while you can."

With that, he held the lizard out towards her, meaning for her to hold it. "Go on, apologize to the poor creature for scaring the living daylights out of him."

Anonymous

"We have quite a ways, doll," he agreed, helping her back on her feet.  She smiled up at him.  He really was a nice guy after all. Thank you Kia for the great tutor, she silently laughed.  She watched astonished, as he levitated the little creature up into the air and held him.  "I don't know whether to be amazed that you levitated the creature or that you are holding him," she looked at him strangely.  This man, he absolutely astonished her.  How could someone hold that creature so easily?  

"Would it be wrong to assume that you're one of those nobles who doesn't get outside much?" he asked curiously.  She put both of her hands on her hips, giving him a glare.  "I do go out a lot, thank you very much," she stammered, "I-I just don't like creatures like him. 

"Go on, apologize to the poor creature for scaring the living daylights out of him."  She pointed an accusatory finger at the lizard, frowning.  "He crawled up my dress, it's his fault," she pouted.  She looked at the little lizard, apprehension evident on her face.  "How about you just hold him and I'll just pat his head?" she bit her lip.  He really wouldn't make her hold that creature, would he?

Anonymous

"I don't know whether to be amazed that you levitated the creature or that you are holding him."

"Both are equally easy feats," he stated simply. Honestly, it was just a lizard— holding it wasn't that big of a deal, was it? As for the levitation, he could see why she might've been surprised. Granted, it was no secret that the heir of House Stone had the ability to control eightfold magic attributes, but some people just weren't in the know.

And it seemed that she did not want to offer up the lizard an apology. "Oh, but he likes you— does he not? Why else would he try to crawl up your robes?" He laughed, unable to understand why just holding it was such a troubling idea for her.

"Sorry doll, you've got to hold him— he's part of our next exercise," the heir informed, grinning.

He was all about taking people out of their comfort zones during a tutoring session, so it had to be done. After all, when they got to controlling the earth, they would have to get down and dirty, for it was really the only way to understand such a rugged element. And they wouldn't be learning to do that out in this tame courtyard.

Gemini sat crosslegged next to the pond, looking up at her, holding out his hands across the water. "See the lillypads, in the pond? I want you to place your little friend on one of them, and try to push the water, so that the lillypad travels across the other side of the pond." A mana ring on his left hand began to glow a bright blue color, and Gemini demonstrated what he meant for her to do with other lillypads. Silently, the water began to churn, and the lillypad began to quietly move across the pond.

"It'll be a bit harder for you, since the lizard will give the pad more weight," the heir noted. "But it's not practice unless it's challenging." It would be hard to get on the first try, but that was why he was here— to help her along the way.

Anonymous

"Oh, but he likes you— does he not? Why else would he try to crawl up your robes?" He laughed.

She stared her tutor down.  "Until a lizard crawls up your pants," she frowned,"you can't say anything.  Evelyn glared at the creature, radiating anger.  Stupid lizard, she silently yelled.  She could have done that water technique if it hadn't crawled up her dress.  Evelyn scoffed, nature could sure be a pain in the butt sometimes.

"Sorry doll, you've got to hold him— he's part of our next exercise," the heir informed, grinning.  Evelyn glared at her tutor for second.  He was doing this on purpose.  Albeit, for a good purpose since she would have to be around nature when they practiced earth, but still on purpose none the less.  She sighed, glancing at the small lizard out of the corner of her eye.  "Aw, why not?" she groaned,"he's starting to look a little cute anyways." Evelyn grabbed the lizard from her tutor's hands and stared at it for a second.  The little creature was staring up at her with big eyes.  "Awwww," she hugged the lizard to her chest,"I'm sorry for getting mad at you little guy." She just couldn't handle cute things.  They were just too hard to be mad at, and this little lizard was adorable.

She looked over at Gemini, smiling.  "He's cute, isn't he?" she held the lizard out in front of Gemini's face, watching as the lizard licked his face.  Laughing, she said,"look he likes you." Evelyn smiled.  This lizard was actually pretty funny.  

She watched Gemini as he sat down and started explaining the next technique to her.  Hm, she sat down and placed the lizard on one of the lillypads, this wouldn't be too bad.  A little difficult, but not too bad.  She held her hands out across the water as Gemini instructed her, and closed her eyes concentrating all her energy on moving the lillypad.  Come on Evelyn, she thought, you can do this.  Slowly, the water started pushing the lillypad to the other side of the pond.  When she opened her eyes though, the lillypad only made it a little less than half way.  She groaned and laid down.  "Stupid lillypad," she said,"why is it so hard to move you?"

Anonymous

He was glad to see that she had finally managed to hold the lizard, and even had taking a liking to it, and he smiled a little at the sight. Sure, she had glared at him at first, but he was used to such reactions. Whatever it took to making his pupils break out of their comforts zones, he would do it, little by little. In the end, it was all to make them stronger.

Ah— but then she held the lizard out towards him, and the creature licked his face. Ugh, lizard slime! Most intolerable. He winced at the lizard's touch, rubbing the spot where the creature had licked him with the back of his hand. Look, he likes you, she was saying, and Gemini shook his head in amusement.

"That's a first, I'll admit," he confessed. Normally, most animals despised him, or tolerated him at least, out of some begrudging respect for the power he possessed. None had bothered to lick him, except for maybe his horse or the occasional cat. Still, he put it out of his mind.

As she finally sat down to work on the task at hand, he noted that she was only able to move the lillypad a little less than halfway across the pond. "Don't try too hard to force it," Gemini advised. With a fluid gesture, he held his hands out over the pond again, and that mana ring on his finger began to glow blue once again.

"You are the moon, moving across the sky; your command over the water should be leisurely, serene." He closed his hands, demonstrating the proper hand maneuver, pushing his hands forward and backward, mimicking the tide. "Will yourself to be like the water— gentle, moving in one fluid rhythmic sway." When he was like this— able to use his magic for constructive purposes —he was almost another person. Calm, and serene, very much unlike the  recklessly extravagant heir that rumors (as true as they were) painted him to be.

The pond water was moving at his command, and with a quick gesture, he brought the lillypad with the lizard on it back to her starting point, so she could try again. He opened his eyes, looking back at her. "Once more, with feeling."

Anonymous

"That's a first, I'll admit," he confessed.  Evelyn frowned, "do animals usually not like you, Gemini?" Awww, she looked at her tutor, that must be sad that animals don't like him.  Animals can bring such happiness to people, if animals hate you then you can never feel that happiness; and that was sad.  "Well, maybe you found the fist animal that likes you," she smiled at her tutor.  Hopefully their would be more to come.

"Don't try too hard to force it," Gemini advised her.  She hoisted herself back up into a sitting position, and watched him show her the technique again. She noticed the blue mana ring on his finger glow again. Hm, that's an odd ring.  "Gemini," she asked,"where did you get that ring? I've never seen one like that before?" She bit her lip, wondering about that ring.  Maybe it's an old family heirloom, she guessed.  Who knows, she shrugged pushing the thought to the make of her mind and focusing on the task at hand instead.

Evelyn watched him as he explained how to move the lillypad once again.  He looks really calm, she thought.  I didn't ever think the heir to the House of Stone was like this, maybe all those rumors about him were wrong. She titled her head to the side, watching him. He doesn't really seem like a playboy.  She quickly shook her head.  Focus Evelyn, she silently reprimanded herself.  

She saw the heir open his eyes and look at her, "Once more with feeling." She nodded, determined, "I will succeed this time." She closed her eyes and followed his advice, picturing herself like the water, calm and fluid.  She took a deep breath and continued moving the lillypad across the water.  When she opened her eyes, she gasped.  She couldn't believe her eyes.  That lillypad with the little lizard on top of it was now on the other end of the pond.  "I did it! I did it!," she exclaimed, excited about her accomplishment.  She was so happy, she even hugged Gemini.  "Thank you so much for being my tutor!"

Anonymous

Gemini expected her excitement, but he did not expect to be hugged, of all things. Gemini raised a slender eyebrow, looking down at her, wondering how in Petronel's name he had been paired up with someone so... innocent. The rumors were painfully true — he was the heartbreaker heir, the wasteful, needlessly extravagant and flamboyant heir to House Stone whose shenanigans always made for some good gossip about the province.

But she didn't even care that she was hugging the heir of House Stone. Hell, not even his own siblings acted so casually around him. Did— did she simply forget who he was, or...? And yet, he didn't mind it, strangely enough. Odd as it was, he could not recall the last time he had been hugged, and that very thought alone made him laugh a little to himself.

He was hesitant, at first—her innocence was impeccably charming, it wasn't often that you ran into girls who would be so quick to throw their arms around you in a hug. Or at least, it wasn't often for him. The heir had the strangest feeling that if he were to return her hug, it would only serve to taint her. Ah— he was a sinner to the core, wasn't he, despite all his prayer? His soul was drenched in lust, greed and gluttony for power— past redemption from Petronel.

But he hugged her nonetheless— grossly inappropriate conduct for a tutor, he could see the Dean throwing a hissy fit now— and placed a hand atop her head, hand resting on the fabric of the hood she insisted on wearing.

"Don't bother thanking me, doll. I'm only doing as I've been instructed to do," he told her. Really, he was here because the Dean had asked him for his assistance. As someone who had to deal with reigning in magical attributes eightfold, he was really the best candidate for the job. "You're a fast learner, as it stands. It won't be long before your hold over the water will strengthen, I assure you."

He thought back to her previous question, about his ring. He held out his left hand, and rolled his water mana ring around with his fingers. "You had asked about my ring before, no?" he asked, holding out both his hands. He had eight of them in total, each for each magical attribute he could wield. Five were on his right hand, and three were on his left.

"You wouldn't have seen it before. I crafted each of them myself. They act as augments, to strengthen my magical ability— all eight of my elements." He laughed a little, remembering his own days as a student at Sostrata. "They also help me keep my power in control. When you have so many attributes raging inside you, it's easy for the energies to leak out without even summoning it. They act as another measure of control."

She was a curious thing— no one had bothered to ask before. He stood up from his spot, placing one hand on his hip, stretching another out over the pond. "Let's try the previous exercise again, doll— we're creating our own waterfall of sorts, if you recall. Get this right, and you'll be done— for the day, at least."

He had a hell of a schedule planned for tomorrow. But right now, they had to focus on this technique. Tomorrow's lesson required being able to emulated this movement properly.

Anonymous

"Don't bother thanking me, doll. I'm only doing as I've been instructed to do," he told her.  Evelyn pouted, untangling herself from Gemini's arms.  "Well," she stuck her tongue out at him,"way to ruin the very sweet moment, Gemini." She laughed.  She couldn't remember the last time she wasn't afraid to just be herself in public.  For some odd reason, this man didn't make her scared about showing her true colors.  It was a nice change for once.  She smiled at her tutor, eyes sparkling with laughter,"you have nice hugs, by the 
way." 

She watched him as he explained to her about his mana rings, leaning down to get a better look at them. "They're so pretty," she smiled up at him,"they must have taken forever to make." Hm, her tutor was definitely quite impressive.  She frowned,"I don't think I could ever make something like that.  You are truly talented, Gemini." 

She looked over at him as he stood up. "Let's try the previous exercise again, doll— we're creating our own waterfall of sorts, if you recall. Get this right, and you'll be done— for the day, at least." Okay, she stood up.  Let's do this, she hovered one hand over the pond and closed her eyes, concentrating. Evelyn focused on the water, picturing a waterfall in her mind.  She opened her eyes, watching the water rise a foot and then drop again.  She scratched her head, "well that was just sad." Evelyn laughed, this is harder then she thought it would be.