Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Storms bring strange loyalties

Started by Anonymous, November 12, 2011, 05:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Two men— tall, unshaven, and wholly unkempt —stopped to catch their breath.

This forest, nestled closed to the province of Featherfall, served as their temporary sanctuary, for the time being. His face was beaded with sweat, breaths labored, body slumped, as if he had just completed a cross country marathon. Both of the men were dressed in black, tattered rags, each with a tattoo of an X marked across their right cheeks.

One of the men, who sported wild, unruly red hair, leaned against a nearby tree, crossing his arms over his chest. "I think we lost 'em, for now."

The other man reached into his coat pocket, and took out a package wrapped in fine, white cloth. His hands, coated with grime and sweat, dirtied the linen as he undid the rope that held the cloth together, taking out a silver brooch from the wrappings. He held it up to the light, which caused the brooch to gleam in the sun, leaking a strange magical energy as it absorbed the sunlight. It seemed to illuminate the whole forest as it did so, giving off a divine light.

"Oi, put it away!" the redheaded man hissed. "Why not just alert the whole bloody forest that we're here, huh?"

"I'm just checkin' to make sure it works!" the man holding the brooch shot back. Begrudgingly, he tucked the brooch back in its wrappings, placing it back in his coat pocket. "It's been through hell the last few days, and we've only got enough energy to teleport one more time. If he finds us..."

"He won't! As long as you don't go showin' off the damned thing, we'll be fine." The redhead man groaned, rubbing his temples. "Just remember the plan. We'll teleport to Jadenshine if he finds us again. Got it? Northen Jadenshine. Don't go forgetting again."

The man in charge of the brooch sighed in exasperation. "I got it, I got it! No need to tell me twice..."

Both men sighed, still keeping along the forest path. They grew a little less wary as they made their way through the trees, still catching their breath.

It would seem, for a time, that they were off the hook, when suddenly, a dagger flew from behind them, nicking one of the men's ears, nearly cutting it off. The man jumped in surprise, holding a hand to his ear and spun around, spying the mercenary who had been hunting them all this time. In almost no time at all, the mercenary had been quietly closing in on them, and now he was drawing his blade, meaning to stop them with lethal force, if necessary.

The merc's blade was parried by the redhead's sword, while the other man seemed bit his lip, backing up, a hand on the hilt of his sword. "Aden, now!" the redhead shouted, and in a flash, the two had disappeared. The merc's blade cut through air— they had escaped his grasp, once again.

Reks stood up, narrowing his dim grey eyes. He swore under his breath, adjusting his hood back up and over his cat ears, staring off into the distance. The merc crossed his arms over his chest, almost at a loss for what to do. They had escaped him again— after weeks of tracking them down — and sooner or later, they'd meet with their master, to give them the brooch. If he didn't get it back before then, gods, he'd never hear the end of it...

"Damnit," he cursed, casting his eyes up toward the sky. It was back to the drawing board, and he had absolutely no idea where they could've gone. And, to make matters worse, he could hear a shuffling in the trees, as if someone was hiding, spying on his failure.

"Who's there?" he called, one hand on the hilt of his blade, grey eyes searching the treetops. At a measly height of five feet, five inches, Reks didn't look like much— but he was pissed off and not likely to be in a very good mood at the moment.

miss_sanguine

Forests weren't usually Monnayage's first choice for hangouts. He felt comfortable enough in them, something he figured was due to his inherited cat-like nature, but there wasn't enough going on in them to keep his attention for very long. The only reason he'd agreed to go into the forest today was because Maneki had wanted to do some hunting.

She was somewhere in the forest, stalking silently through the undergrowth. From time to time he picked up an image in his mind of a bush or a set of tracks, even occasionally caught the smell of the prey Maneki was hunting. While the thought of her eating a squirrel—and raw, too—revolted him, he did not mentally voice this to her. He didn't want to be rude and interrupt her concentration.

A nap might be nice, he thought, staring at the branches overhead. He'd only had ten hours of sleep last night and could definitely do for some more.

But just as he was preparing to get comfortable, his attention was directed toward the sound of people some distance away. They were approaching at a slow pace and stopped only a few trees away from the one he was currently leaning on. By the sound of their heavy footfalls, they were men.

"I think we lost 'em, for now," he heard one of them say. This piqued his curiosity almost at once. Whom, or what, were these men running from?

He pressed himself further against the tree, ears straining to listen. There was no point in standing up unless he wanted them to know he was there.

For a moment there was nothing but the sound of someone fiddling around with something, a sound so soft that Monnayage doubted he'd have been able to hear it had he normal human senses. Then, without warning, the forest appeared to vanish in a blindingly white light. His eyes didn't even have time to adjust to this sudden brightness before it vanished as quickly as it had come.

What in the name of Kia wasthat? he wondered, blinking several times.

Several more minutes passed as he listened to the two men bicker between one another. Nothing they said made any sense to him, at least when it came to explaining what that bright light had been. There was mention of Jadenshine, where they apparently planned on meeting up at were they to be caught by ... whoever it was that was after them.

When they began to move again, Monnayage followed them. He had nothing better to do, after all, and he was generally interested in what was going on. If anything, he found their manner of speaking to one another humorous. With his feline-esque skills, he remained unnoticed.

He became aware of someone following the men some time during his own stalking of them. He couldn't see the person, but he could smell him or her, and the person was closing in fast.

Before he knew it, a fight was breaking out. The men, who he watched from behind some foliage, were being attacked by another man. A mercenary by the looks of him.

Oh. Wait 'til Maneki hears about this, he thought, smiling.

The brawl lasted for only so long, the two men he'd initially been following vanishing in thin air before things got interesting.

Darn.

He watched the agitated mercenary for a bit longer, then grew bored again. He sighed and propped himself against the nearest tree.

Somehow the guy heard that, though.

Guess it was time for some more fun.

Without bothering to stand up and come into view, Monnayage said to the trees at large, "No one. You're hearing things."

Anonymous

Oh, great. He had a wise guy on his hands.

If the stranger hiding amongst the trees meant to attack him, he probably would've done so already. With that in mind, Reks slowly took his hand off the hilt of his blade, but kept his stance defensive, out of sheer habit rather than anything else. He had no idea what this guy (assuming said person was a guy) hiding in the bushes wanted, but him playing the smart aleck was not going to fly with Reks today.

"No one? Really? Last time I checked, trees don't talk." His words were needlessly testy, but he did not know how to mask his anger. And of course, as soon as he spoke them, he let out a hiss of ire— it sounded almost like the mewling, territorial sound a cat makes when they're angered. Reks clamped his mouth shut, hoping to the gods whoever the stranger was hadn't heard it, or at least thought to pass it off as an angered cat strolling by. Goddamnit, he really needed to control his anger, but it seemed that not even the curse could help him reign in his needless rage.

miss_sanguine

Talk about a touchy person. Whether an assassin or not, this guy really needed to calm down. It made it all the more fun to play around with him, though.

"Oh?" he said, leaning his head back against his tree and closing his eyes with a smile. "How do you know that you haven't just met one?" It wasn't impossible, after all. Serendipity's populace was known to have some interesting creatures. Talking trees didn't seem too outlandish to him.

And then came the strange sound, almost like a cat's, and Monnayage tilted his head to the side. He wasn't new to cat noises, and he recognized almost immediately the indignation behind it. Maneki was known to give the same noise often, especially when he was courting a woman.

This was turning out to be more interesting than he'd first thought it would be. Was it possible that this person was part cat? He'd met some people that were—they weren't common, but they weren't uncommon, either.

"That wouldn't happen to have been you, would it?" he asked. The guy didn't smell like a cat; he smelled more like a human than anything else, maybe with a tinge of something that could have been magic.

Anonymous

"How do you know you haven't just met one?"

This was why Reks loathed Serendipity. Everything about this wretched place was oozing with magic, and there was a vile unnaturalness to everything around him. The witch would've liked this place, he was sure — it was filled to the brim with freaks like her — but to Reks, it was only an unsettling reminder of the magic that was settled inside him, embedded in the tattoos on his forearm, keeping him in pain, keeping him cursed. He placed his right hand on his forearm at the thought, grimacing.

"I highly doubt that," the mercenary managed to mutter, rolling his eyes.

Temper, temper, he had to keep it under control. And, just his luck, he had heard his feline hiss of disapproval too. His cat ears perked under his hood at the sound of his voice, pinpointing the general area to which this guy was hiding. Reks looked toward where the voice was coming from, still unable to see any figure amongst the trees.

"...Of course not," he denied casually, maybe too casually, and brushed the subject off. He strode near the trees where the voice rang from, his steps careful, calculated. Reks was a jumpy person by nature, and he hated surprises. He honestly had no idea what this guy's deal was, and normally he wouldn't have bothered, but this person just might've seen those two neanderthals that had managed to slip away.

"I would love to play games with you, but you may just be an important witness to a job I'm working on." He spoke this to the trees, still unable to see anyone. If he spoke again, maybe he could get a better idea of where he was hiding. "Did you see two guys passing through here? I mean, if you're a tree, you must've had a good view of 'em." There was no way he could've missed them. Those two oafs probably even took out the brooch and everything, considering the flash of bright light that seemed to engulf the forest before.

miss_sanguine

Monnayage grinned wider as he listened to the approaching footsteps. This guy was a horrible liar.

And so tense, he thought, hearing the tautness in the resonance of the footfalls. He acts like something's going to jump out at him at any moment. It was an idea, yes. Scaring people was fun, after all, but he didn't exactly feel like it. Who knew how weapon-happy this supposed mercenary was.

Staying where he was, closed his eyes again, quite comfortable. And having a great deal of fun being an irritation.

"I'm afraid you're wrong on that note," he said. "If I'm a tree, I don't have eyes. How could I possibly have seen anything?"

That's right. Come find me. I'm not going to move. Boy, this guy smelled funny.

Anonymous

Of course he hadn't seen anything — trees didn't have eyes! Duh, Reks.

The mercenary rolled his eyes — he probably shouldn't have tried to humor the possibility that the stranger was a tree, even if it had been sarcastically. It only seemed like it would come back to irritate him later. "So you're telling me you're a tree that can talk and listen to me, but can't even see?" Gods, why was he even entertaining this? Under his hood, his cat ears flattened. "Can we just drop the tree thing? It's getting ridiculous at this point..."

Granted, he was glad that the stranger had responded at all, and had the common courtesy to stay in one place. As the stranger spoke, his cat ears twitched under his hood once more, picking up on the sound of his voice, closing in on his location. He stepped lightly through the underbrush, until he finally came across the stranger, leaning leisurely against a tree.

Reks crossed his arms over his chest, looking up at him. "So, you're not a tree. Now that this has been established, you mind telling me what you saw?" There was no way he hadn't seen anything — he definitely had to have at least heard something, anything, that could help Reks out. But why did he have the sinking suspicion that getting this guy to help him out wasn't going to be easy?

miss_sanguine

Monnayage opened his mouth to retort the "you can talk but can't see?" remark, but closed his mouth when he realized that he had nothing to retort with. He chuckled. "You have a point, friend. But if I were a magical tree, magic limited to certain abilities . . ."

He heard him getting closer, his sensitive ears picking up on even the mildest of sound given by the stranger's feet. When Mr. Skepticism stepped into view, Monnayage looked at him and grinned wide. "Ah, I'm afraid you've caught me." He spread his arms in a gesture of non-hostility, as if shrugging, then slowly got to his feet and wiped the forest debris off his pants.

Once he was done and he looked back up.

He didn't know what he'd been expecting; this guy had seemed a lot more of a menacing force when he'd been fighting the people Monnayage had been following. Up close, he was rather scraggy and . . . short. It made his smile widen despite himself and he had to hold back a laugh. Such tough words for one that he could sit on and hold there for as long as he pleased.

"And what if I did see or hear something?"

Anonymous

The amused expression that crossed the stranger's face after getting a look at him — Reks had seen it all too many times before. That look! If he had a silver pip for every time someone gave him that look, he wouldn't need to sell himself ragged to these damned merc jobs anymore. He clenched his teeth, but beyond that, remembered that he should at least try to be civil, for his own sake. Granted, this guy wasn't making it very easy.

"And what if I did see or hear something?"

"Then it'd be brilliant if you could tell me," he relayed to the stranger, furrowing his brows. "If you tell me what you saw, or heard, I can finish my mission and you can go back to... whatever it was you doing. Lounging around, or whatnot." He uncrossed his arms, trying, and perhaps failing, to come across as patient. "So? What'll it be?"

miss_sanguine

Oh, this was fun. This fellow was making it so easy.

Putting his hands on his hips, he put on an air of playful smugness. "A mission, huh? Sounds exciting." It really did. One didn't come across that many people claiming to be on "missions." What kind of mission could a scrawny guy like this be on?

Clearly those men he'd been following had some importance to this, which made the fact that he had any information at all to share riveting. He felt like a man holding a meaty treat over an impatient dog's head, teasing it but never letting go of the morsel. "But what one earth could I have heard or seen that would be so important to you?"

Would the little dog do a trick for him?

Anonymous

"Call it a job, then," Reks corrected. "Makes it sound less exciting." Because it wasn't. Primarily, he was a mage hunter, but during slow times like these, he'd have to settle for regular merc jobs, which somehow always turned out to be troublesome — like right now. This was a perfect example as to why Reks preferred hunting mages to merc jobs.

So he was still teasing him, and at this point, the stranger had graduated from "annoyance" to "huge pain in the ass." How hard was it to just tell him what he saw? Did he like being a pain or something, because there was no way he didn't know what Reks wanted to hear.

"There were two men," Reks started, gritting his teeth, narrowing his eyes. "Two assholes were prancing around the forest earlier, they're who I want to know about. If they said anything, or did anything..." Reks clarified, but then stopped himself. Why bother trying to clarify? He knew what he wanted to hear, he was just being a tease about it.

"Look, are you going to tell me what you know, or are you going to keep playing 'keep away' like a goddamn tool?" He forgot himself, and he let out a territorial hiss again, the mewling sound of an angered cat. His bit his lip as soon as he did it— today was definitely not his day...

miss_sanguine

His grin widened. The guy was practically oozing with irritation and it made Monnayage want to laugh. It wasn't often that he came across someone so high-strung. It made for something to do while Maneki finished with her hunt.

"Oh, those guys," he said, feigning surprise. "Yes, they were quite noisy, weren't they? Said a bunch of stuff." He put his hand on his chin and looked to the sky, squinting as though in serious thought. "I seem to recall mention of a plan to teleport somewhere. But it was such a long time ago that I—"

That noise again. And it had most definitely come from this man. Monnayage stopped and stared at him, a brow now quirked in amusement. "Easy, kitty," he said. "Don't get your whiskers in a bunch."

He didn't smell like a cat, nor did he seem to have any cat-like features. Why, then, was he such a professional at cat noises?

"Do you always go around hissing at strangers?"

Anonymous

Oh gods, that grin. How was he supposed to tolerate being grinned at in such a condescending, insufferable fashion? He obviously knew what Reks was talking about and was just doing this to be a pain. Why, what did Reks ever do to justify teasing? This sort of thing was always infuriating to him — he had no weapons in his arsenal that could make a man talk. All he could do was stand here and hope to the gods that he'd loosen his lips and spit out what he needed to know. All of this bugging and fussing and meddling — it was ridiculous, really.

"They wouldn't be in a bunch if you'd just cooperate," Reks groaned. Not that he even had whiskers in the first place, that is. He didn't, but if he kept being angry, the curse would kick in and add more feline features to his person. Whiskers were probably next on the list. For a second, he looked horrified at what that'd mean for him — features that he couldn't just hide — but then shook his head, returning to reality.

At his question, the merc shook his head. "Only when they piss me off," Reks hissed, crossing his arms over his chest, his cat ears flattening against his head. The fabric of his hood shifted slightly as he did so and Reks absentmindedly reached up, feeling the side of his head, making sure the hood was still secure. The last thing he needed was for the damned thing to fall off. It had been known to fall off during even the smallest gusts of winds, so he was always a little paranoid about it revealing his cat ears underneath.

"But— you mentioned the teleporters earlier, so you know who I'm talking about. Are you gonna tell me where they said they'd go? And don't tell me you don't remember — it was only five minutes ago." He was sure he'd come up with some nonsense though, and Reks was really at a loss as to how to get this guy to talk. Gods, most people would just spit info out to just be rid of it — but it seemed like it was a game to this stranger, like tormenting him was just something to keep him occupied. He was merely catnip for a bored feline.

miss_sanguine

The brief look of horror on the other man's face puzzled him. He'd only been joking about the whiskers thing, it being a figure of speech. A person could be tense, but surely not this tense.

Then Monnayage's eyes traveled up to the hood of the cloak his human plaything unconsciously touched. It was a strange thing to do, especially in the middle of a conversation, and now that he thought about it, the disguise was pretty pointless.

Being one of intense curiosity, he pushed all that the two of them had been saying thus far into a corner and asked, "What's with the guise?"

Anonymous

Reks eyes widened, and for a moment in time, all he could do was stare blankly at the stranger. How could this guy, who had already wasted so much of his time being coy, suddenly become so blunt? His widened eyes soon narrowed, his shock turning defensive.

"I don't know what you're talking about," was his automatic answer, said a little too carefully. His aim was to be smooth, to deflect his question with ease, but instead, he came across as a little too calculated — someone with something to hide. He didn't even notice it, but it took a miniscule step back, to distance himself from this prying stranger. The move was unconscious, his own defensive mechanism kicking in.

"You mean—the hood? It's just a hood. There's nothing strange about wearing a hood." He was rambling. "Stop trying to change the subject."

miss_sanguine

It felt like he was staring at a deer caught in a beam of light for a second, the way the guy seemed to become lost in his own thoughts. But the impression was lost when he watched him suddenly coil back like an offended snake.

Really? Really? For a mercenary, this guy failed at being inconspicuous and casual.

Grin now turned mischievous, he stepped forward. "There is when it's not cold out. Raised hoods are either for keeping one's ears warm, or hiding one's identity from a distance. I'm not at a distance, so there's no need for you to still have it up."

He stopped and thought, hand on his chin again as he looked the stranger up and down. "Unless you're one of those emotional people that feels they look 'cool' with a raised hood?"

Anonymous

Oh gods, no no no, he was stepping closer to him and the last thing Reks needed was for this guy to be in his personal bubble. Granted, he had already used up all of his steps backwards — no choice left in this matter, except to stand his ground. Honestly, he would've absconded from this scene earlier if not for the fact that he may have heard something — no, if not for the fact that this smarmy guy was his one and only lead.

Why did he deserve to be tormented today? What the hell had he ever done to deserve— actually, he could think of a lot of things. This was just karma for all of the crap he had done in the past, as if every single mage he had ever bagged and put their last bits of effort into making Reks have this one really uncomfortable day.

"You're making a big deal about a hood. It's ridiculous, really," Reks scoffed, feigning indifference. He averted his gaze, hopefully inconspicuously. "It's like you're trying to find reasons to get on my nerves. I just like wearing a hood, okay? Maybe I am one of those people who just feels cooler with a hood on. Is that a crime?"

It was taking all of his willpower to hold back that urge to hiss at this guy. "Are you just doing this to change the subject? 'Cause it's not gonna work. You're gonna have to put up with me until you just tell me what you heard."

miss_sanguine

Cat-like instincts took over when his toy continued to try and verbally back out of the conversation at hand. The mad urge to "chase" was blazing in Monnayage's mind, along with the already present curiosity that needed to be fed. What was it leaving this guy so nervous and twitchy? It was only a hood, after all.

Or was it?

"I make big deals about ridiculous things all the time," he said, waving the comment aside. And then he saw him look away—a big mistake. Looking away was a sign of inferiority in the animal kingdom, and Monnayage latched onto it with a sly and predatory grin. He took another step forward, this one more deliberate. "I believe it is you having to put up with me," he said with a chuckle. "Not the other way around. I'm having quite a bit of fun. Now . . ." He stared at the mysterious head-covering with ardent fervor. "If it's really just there for kicks, then you wouldn't mind taking it off. Or I can."

Anonymous

No no no no no, why was he constantly stepping closer? Reks' personal bubble was constantly being poked and prodded and he did not like it, not one little bit! Somehow, he had lost control over this conversation... he wasn't sure how it happened, things just kind of spiraled out of control.

This guy wouldn't stop his ceaseless questions about his hood. Why was this so entertaining to him? Most people would just take it for what it was at face value: a hood. But not today, of course not today. He had even admitted that this was all so very fun for him,

"Or I can."

Reks' stormy grey eyes widened nervously at his claim. Take off his hood... He'd take off his hood! He fought an overwhelming urge to clamp his hands over his head, but instead, forced his gaze back up at the stranger, narrowing his eyes. Under his hood, his cat ears flattened against his head, and he choked back a hiss that threatened to escape his throat.

"...You wouldn't dare."

miss_sanguine

Okay. He'd warned him. Now the guy was simply asking for it. Monnayage could not wait any longer. Would not wait any longer.

Shrugging his shoulders, he made as if the harsh words spoken had turned him away from the idea. "Suit yourself," he said. And with that he reached forward as quick as a flash and yanked back the guy's hood.

He didn't know what he'd been expecting. The idea of a second head had come to mind, even though that made absolutely no sense at all. It definitely would have been interesting. What he saw, however, made him blink.

"Huh," he said, folding him arms, baffled. "They do explain a lot of things. Yet . . ." Yet they brought on so many more questions. How could this guy have furry ears--cat ears!--when he didn't smell like a cat? Monnayage had met a few cat people in his day, but they usually had a cat-like scent to them. This guy didn't have that. He smelled . . . like a human. A nervous human, but a human just the same.