Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

I Could Stand My Own Ground

Started by Anonymous, November 24, 2011, 01:18:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Selma's eyes fluttered open and a gasp escaped her lips. The woman bolted upright on her bed, cold sweat running down the back of her neck after having successfully escaped her bad dream. Quickly she pushed her blanket aside, remembering where she would have to go and with who and that she had probably already overslept. The thing she hated most these days was getting up after a long night of nightmares. Sometimes she saw no dreams at all, sometimes she saw things she didn't want to see and had a very hard time forgetting. Disturbing pictures that remained tattooed in her vision for the rest of her life... Was she becoming mad?

In any case, she washed up right quick, dressed up in her leather pants, white blouse, buttoned jacket and swung her dark green cloak on her shoulders before grabbing her backpack and leaving her room. She had agreed to meet Merric downstairs that morning so they could set out together. It would be interesting to see how the two of them got along in the end. Selma wasn't honestly used to having company during her travels, but maybe trying out new things would do good for her? At least she wouldn't be alone with her thoughts after every bad dream and someone would be there to get her mind elsewhere. Not that she really needed someone's comforting. That was for weaklings, after all.

She arrived downstairs and made her way to the counter where she had had dinner yesterday evening. Even if she liked to do what she wanted and believed that 'laws were for cretins', she wasn't one to leave without paying for her room. She placed a couple of coins on the counter and spun around, searching for her new guard with her green eyes.

Anonymous

Meric had been up early, not knowing when his new employer would want to get the ball rolling but when she hadn't arrived he let himself drift alittle by the fireplace, enjoyng the heat while his mind drifted off.  His head hung lightly as his breathing was regular, his dreams were soft and warm in so many ways that when his had jerked up before he lost his balance in his chair he felt his heart break alittle.

He glanced around slowly and sighed before rising to his feet and straihtening his cloak.  

By the time she was downstairs, the warrior was sitting at the bar eating baked bread and cheese while the barmaid flirted with him and he just smiled. Had something gone on between the two? the way she looked at him it certainly seemed that way but he just smiled and let her go on about something, she was trying to entice him to stay or return, who knew if he would but why hurt the poor girl.

He glanced up when she finally appeared, smelling her before he even saw her.  Stuffing the last of his food in his mouth and painfully swallowing it down, he got to his feel and headed towards her after saying his goodbyes.

"good morning m'lady, I was begining to fear you had changed your mind an left without me"

Anonymous

Finally her eyes found him, sitting at the bar and eating while giving lecherous looks towards a busty barmaid. Oh, how typical of men to behave in such manner! Selma should have known she would have to deal with his more perverted side at some point, but who would have guessed it had happened so soon? Selma arched a perfect brow and was just about to consider just leaving him behind and setting out on her own when he seemed to remember her existence and glanced up to see her. If there was anything she hated, then people forcing food down their throats like complete barbarians. Merric didn't seem any different. He reminded her of a brute with how he finished his meal so quickly and then got up to her.

"Crumbs." She replied to his words without first paying much attention to them. "Then again, why bother wiping your mouth? Since you eat like a pig you might as well look like one." The woman threw him a cold glare and then nodded towards the barmaid. "I suppose you already paid for your food? Or was that extra after you took care of her last night?" Selma didn't allow him to correct her or to explain anything. "Listen up, brute. While you're travelling with me, you will have some manners. I don't care if we're crossing the swamps or if you're a scruffy mercenary, you will behave. And by behaving I mean cleaning yourself and not flirting to every moving thing in the world." With that out of the way, Selma flashed him a small smile and walked to the bar where she paid for her room without a word. Her irritation had been noticed by the barmaid, who was very amused by the situation. It only seemed to annoy the former noblewoman further.

Once she was done, she returned to Merric and sighed. "I wish I had changed my mind and left without you. But a woman has to do what she has to do. I can't go walking out there without a proper guard." Selma glanced at him. "I suppose that's the only thing you're proper in." She rolled her eyes and headed outside, swinging her dark green cloak on her shoulders while making her way to the stable to fetch her brown mare.

Anonymous

Meric blinked as she was so irritated that he was left a bit speachless, letting her go on without much of a retort, now wishing he had decided to take his time rather then tey to catch up with her.  Though after a moment his face dropped as the caught off guard moment inspired by her words swiftly slipped into a cold temper as he rose an almost critical brow of his own before wiping his mouth.

When she walked off to pay he could only sigh "this...is gonna be a long trip" he murrmured to himself but then he thought about it and shrugged, eh he could always just decide to quit at the worst possible time and leave her to stew over her own...nah people always seek to blame others.   He watched her curiously as she paid and he folded his arms as he watched her with a raised brow as she drew up once more and he smirked.

"You gotta learn to relax." he chuckled with a smile as he held the door open for her as they exited the tavern and into the street of the small town. He glanced around but it wasn't like anyone in this little village was a real threat to them at the moment.  Eyes drifting around the town he glanced back to her calmly and smirked "so miss princess...do you have a horse?"

Anonymous

The message seemed to have reached his ears, which left Selma fairly satisfied. He didn't talk back to her, which was both pleasing and disappointing. Sometimes she could appreciate a good little heated argument, even if it did turn out ugly in some way. It was always interesting to see how far someone was ready to go to stand behind their words. Merric sure hadn't had a very good start... depending on how you looked at it. The fact that he wiped his mouth made Selma force a smile before walking off to pay for them.

As they headed out, she didn't thank him for opening the door, but instead paid attention to his words that poked at her growing irritation with him. "I am relaxed. Who are you to judge whether I'm relaxing or not?" She threw back at him with a venomous tone. "You speak as if you know me, but you don't. You're far from it." Selma glared at him and continued towards the nearby stable of the tavern where her brown mare, Nadya, had been staying during the night. She couldn't believe she was willingly travelling with this man who seemed to be the essence of masculine stupidity. Men, they could only think with their muscles and whatever was between their legs. Women were occasionally the same, but Selma considered herself lucky to have so little testosterone in her body. It seemed like a label of foolishness these days.

"Excuse me?" She spun around at the doors of the stable, stopping Merric. Well, more or less, he was a large man and she was a frail woman, so she really had to push against his chest to brutally stop him in his tracks. "You find your mockery funny, brute? It isn't, so quit it. My name is Selma, so use it before I cut your tongue off." Selma found him unbelievable, but then again, maybe it was also the fact that she had woken up from a bad dream earlier. She was being particularly bitchy about things and was certainly testing her companion's patience with her attitude. "To answer your question, yes, I do have a horse. She's here." Selma continued inside and stopped next to a brown mare, patted her neck and began to equip her. First bridle, then saddle and then her belongings attached to the saddle. "If you don't have a horse, it's about time you get one. We won't ride once we get to the forest. This is only for the highway."

Thieves. She hated highway men who attacked those who were naive enough to travel on foot. Horses had their own risks as well when it came to highway thieves, but at least they would be able to get away fast should the situation become heated.

Anonymous

Merics nostrils flared as she turned on him and he smirked "and who are you to judge me? do you know me? hmm...no you dont so as long as you prefer to make your half cocked judgements about myself I shall make mine about you...and while you have no clue what I did or did not do last night, nor do you understand or know my character, I can see as clear as day that you are judgemental, arrogent, and wound up tighter then a bow string" he hissed and there was nothing cool about his temper anymore, rather it seemed to almost have fire in it.

Which made no attempt to cool itself when she was violently going to shove him and he just looked down at the smaller woman, not really wanting her to hurt herself, though maybe it would teach her if she did.  He rose a brow and gave a snort that came out as a little bit of steam when she turned away. "...I find my mockery of you very funny...hillarious even. My name is Meric and you too will use my name...for as long as I am brute..you are the spoiled little princess...so thats up to you, otherwise you are welcome to try" he stepped around her and glanced around before sighing when he spotted one of the stalls had been opened.

Then he walked back out and whistled hard, the sound sharp and peircing.  He welcomed the moment to step out and away from her as he shivered to calm himself, woman was going to drive him insane wasn't she?...nah likely he would her.  Still if she canceled the contract he would be heart broken...not.

A few moments later the heavy hoof beats of a large war horse came riding into view before stopping before Meric who folded his arms and glared at the horse "you know...I did pay so you could have all that food...and a warm roof?"  the horse nickered at him and he sighed "and she calls me a brute"  tying down his gear he would wait for her to come out while he mounted