Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

In search of fools and utopia

Started by Anonymous, November 24, 2011, 09:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Liron had awoken early on this Friday morning, as she did every Friday morning, to assist the small bakery with small, troublesome tasks. Baking bread may have seemed like a cozy little job to undertake in order to earn some money to spend on the side, but it reality, it was tiresome work. Then again, most things were tiresome work for the ex-noble girl, but if Liron was anything, she was loyal, and fiercely determined to put all of her effort into her work.

So imagine her surprise when she arrived on time, bright and early, on the front steps of the bakery, only to have her boss laugh at her.

Today's the festival, gal! her boss told her, chuckling. Have a bit of fun, won't you? Liron merely stared at her, unable to comprehend the fact that she had woken up early for nothing. The word 'festival' barely even registered in her mind until her boss handed her a flyer, which explained today's events. What's wrong? By the look on your face, you'd think you'd never been to a festival before, gal! There'll be a lot of sorcerers comin' into the capital today — maybe you'll get to watch 'em do some fancy new tricks! Ah, on second thought, that might just scare you, huh?

She clasped onto the flyer, her dark grey eyes scanning the words, grinning a little as she read it. A festival, where sorcerers would gather! And they'd be doing fancy new tricks! Oh, perhaps if she could get Mads out of the house and attend this strange event, it would inspire him to get to work on her cure! She took off, barely giving her boss a word in thanks, back to Mads' study, feeling optimistic. She had not bothered to attend any Serenian festivals since her time in coming here — they had always been so foreign to her, nearly barbaric in some cases — but if sorcerers were going to gather today, then this would definitely be something she had to get Mads to attend!

As she entered their abode, Liron grinned, still holding that flyer, her grey eyes searching for her caretaker. She made a show of opening the door quite loudly and shutting it just as loudly, to wake him up if he was still sleeping, and to make sure her presence was alerted. It was surprisingly hard to find him sometimes, especially if he was sleeping, considering he would just fall asleep anywhere that deemed fit, sometimes...

"Oh Mads, where are you?
The town is full of laughter!
Come, and take a look!"

Gah, this place had grown to be quite messy again! Where was that sorcerer of hers, she wondered. It was quite early in the day, so perhaps he was sleeping in some odd place yet again, or maybe he had skipped out on sleeping altogether. Either way, perhaps the best place to check would be in his study. She poked her head in his working quarters, her fingers curled around the door, with one hand still holding onto the festival flyer for dear life. She bounced on her toes in excitement — aha, there was her sorcerer, amidst his own mountain of organized chaos. Lir waved the flyer around, in order to get his attention.

"Do not laze about
This dreary, stuffy study
On festival day!"

It was rare that she was excited for a Serenian festival, but it was rare for a bunch of sorcerers to gather at the same spot, as well! It was a conundrum, but she was sure that going to this festival would ultimately be good for her caretaker. Maybe this sort of event was all he needed to spark some inspiration in him, so he could whip up a cure! It was a farfetched thought, but a girl could hope, couldn't she?

Lion

He was dreaming again.  Mad twitched in his sleep as he was wont to do, snoring only lightly.  He dreamt of a meadow and he was leading a trail of goats slowly towards the edge of a chasm that ran through the meadow and when he got to the edge he stopped, pausing and looking down for a good long moment.  And he lost his breath when he lingered too close to the edge.  Then just when he thought he might throw himself in, he took a step back and thought he could breathe easy then.  And he did.  Just for a moment staring across the gaping maw.  Just before something reached out from below and grabbed him by his ankles yanking him down, down, down!

Mad screamed aloud and awoke with a crash as he fell from the pile of chairs he'd constructed as a model for his next project.  He'd collected all the chairs on the third floor and balanced them on one another, some at awkward angles, until he created a mountain of wood at least seven feet high.  He perched another chair on top of the pile, being on the top as well and just when he felt tired, he took a seat, convinced he'd only close his eyes for a few moments.  Those few moments turned to minutes, and minutes to hours when he suddenly fell asleep in full force, hanging precariously on the edge of the pile of chairs.  An edge that soon made him come crashing down to the ground.

"Oh gods!" he breathed, when he hit the ground.  "Am I alive!?  AM I?  Oh goodness, what have I done!?  My goats!  Where are my goats?  Where's the shepherd's pie?  WHERE'S RALF!?" he exclaimed, in a state of rambling madness.  "Oh....where am I?  Oh home, that's right."  He stood up and dusted himself off and looked around, seeing Liron by the door.  "Lir, I didn't even notice you were there," he said and walked over.

"What's this?  I think I might have heard something about a festival?  I'm probably just hearing things again.  Damn those voices in my head, I thought I got rid of them long ago. Now what can I help you with today, my favorite ward.  Well, my only ward.  How long have you been staying here again?  I forget sometimes."

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Liron let out a tiny yelp of surprise as Mads came crashing to the ground, along with the pile of chairs he'd set up — as for why the chairs had been set up in such a peculiar fashion, well, she figured it would be best not to ask. She had been teetering near the doorway, but now she was in the study, her dark grey eyes searching her caretaker, hoping he hadn't scuffed himself too badly in that fall.

"Mads! Are you alright?

It appeared so — he had just been acting a fool, as usual.  She sighed, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Keep your head on your shoulders,
Don't make such a fuss!"

Honestly, she was pretty sure that they owned neither goats nor shepard's pie, and she hadn't met anyone named Ralf for as long as she lived. She had grown used to Mads' rambling though, so she did not entertain them — he snapped out of it after all, and seemed to regain his senses after realizing that he was, indeed, at home. Liron still kept her arms crossed, half expecting him to go into another tangent, but he seemed to be coherent, for now, even if he couldn't remember little things, like how long she had been living here...

"How long as it been?

She shrugged, as if such a detail was inconsequential — it wasn't, not really.

"I've been here for far too long,
Years escape me now."

Ah, but the festival! Her eyes lit up, and she bounced on the tips of her toes.

"Oh! The festival!
You did hear me right, dear Mads.
It's festival day!

"Wizards and witches...
Sorcerers and magic spells...
See for yourself, Mads!"

Eagerly, she thrust the flyer in his hands, which she was sure would do a better job explaining the festivities than she would. It was a strange thing for her to ask — to go to a Serenian festival, especially one that dealt with magic — but she was certain that heading there would do some good for him, and perhaps jog his memory about a few things (like, hm, maybe making a certain cure for a certain 'speech impediment' that a certain ward of his had...). She was sure she could put up with a few sorcerers tossing around magic spells if that was the case... or at least, she hoped so.

"Won't it do you good,
To abscond from this study
For one day of fun?"

Lion

Blast, the concern was short-lived.  And thankfully for Mads, so was his attention span.  Of course he was all right, what a silly question that was.  What did the girl think he was, an idiot?  Well, there may have been exceptions to that and so many convolutions it wasn't even funny, but he didn't care to argue semantics or technicalities here.  Liron went on and on about a festival and it caught his attention with a smile on his face.

"A festival, my, my, won't that be some good old fun!"  Mad pulled the paper from her hand and looked at the flyer himself, taking in the details with lightning fast reading, reading which took several times over one sentence just to register properly.  The problem with a quick brain was offtimes the missing of details when one was too quick in the first place.  But luckily he was patient and got the message before long.  "Oh yes!  This'll be fun.  I bet I'll get to see a bunch of my old colleagues from the University here!  I'm sure most of them are probably professors and scholars and great learners of magic by now, and a peddler of minor magic like me, but I digress.  Oh, yes, you should meet a lot of the town's people here, like Betsy the Mutt, and Largo the Lame.  Oh wait those people are dogs not people.  I'm sorry, Lir, I do go on and on and on about stuff that you don't care about don't I?

"Anyway, yes, a festival.  When is it?  The date is kind of smudged or I'm just not finding it on this flyer.  What is it?  And wait....but you don't you not like magic?  Would your As'grab, or Anzijib, or whatever his name his, be very upset with you if you went?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Liron couldn't help but chuckle a little at Mads' talk of his collegues. She couldn't help but wonder if all of his friends really had gone off to do bigger and better things. There weren't many people who stopped by these quarters often — or at least, no one did while she was around, and that was quite often — so she had to wonder if Mads ever talked to them again after his schooling. The thought of him distancing himself from his old peers made her frown a little.

"Don't worry, dear Mads,
I am used to your rambles
Useless as they are..."

That sympathy was used up very quickly however, as Mads stumbled around the name of her god. She narrowed her eyes at him, shaking her head vehemently. To not even be able to remember his name — what an affront!

"His name is Ansgar!
He would be understanding,
My case is *different."

Indeed, it was — she had been cursed by magic, and in order to rid herself of sin, she had to drench herself in it. Was this irony, or just a cruel joke? It was surreal nonetheless, but she could only hope that attending this festival of sinful magic would somehow help Mads in his studies with finding her a cure... that is, if he hadn't totally forgotten about it. He had forgotten how long she had been staying here, after all, so she wouldn't put it past him.

She pressed her palm to her face, recalling that Mads wasn't aware that it was today, of all days! She bounced impatiently on her toes, giving him a reproachful look with those murky grey eyes of hers.

"The date is today!
Hurry and get ready, Mads!
We cannot waste time!"

Liron waved her hands at him, gesturing for him to go and get ready — unless he planned to go in the festival in those wrinkled clothes of his that he had woken up in? Knowing Mads, she wouldn't put it past him...

[ * I pronounce different with two syllables but some people do it with three, so here's assuming that Liron pronounces it like I do. xD ]

Lion

[I've never heard people use it with three syllables before, but I think I pronounce it the same way so no worries there. X3]

Mads went completely silent despite the massive flooding of words that wanted to overflow off his tongue right now.  Oh hell, dear gods, damn the devils!  "Today!?  TODAY!?  TODAY!!!!  OH GODS!" he yelled at her.  "Lir this could quite possibly be the most important day of my entire career as a sorcerer!  By the very beard of Anzig, why didn't I think of it before?  Yes!  It's a longshot I know, insane possibly, but I know for a fact a few of my colleagues will be there and I can show them.  YES!  Show them all the wonderful things I've done!  DEAR GODS!  THEY HAVE TO MEET YOU!  WON'T THAT BE JUST WONDERFUL!?  HURRY, CHILD, WE HAVE TO GET READY, WE HAVE A FESTIVAL TO GET TO!"

Mads was out of his mind and he shook Lir by the shoulders for a moment, hazing headlong into her eyes before he tossed her back to have a seat in his office chair before he clamored around the fallen chairs all around them.  "Oh and Lir, be a dear and please get these chairs cleaned up.  I had no idea how they got up here, but you certainly did miss a spot by leaving them here, my friend," he said to her as he stalked over to the door that adjoined into his own bed chambers.

He was dirty, filthy and dressed in his finest rags.  No this would not do at all!  Mads opened his armoire and scrambled through the assorted robes and suits available there.  "Lir!  Have you seen my lime green coat!?  The one with the sea-shell buttons?  Is it in the laundry again!?  Oh gods, I'm insane, I'm wearing it.  Never mind, dear, I found it!  Aha, here it is!"  Mads kept the door partly ajar as the sounds of him shuffling around in his thrashed room looking for the right clothes to wear became more and more audible with clangs, bangs, stumbles, and the knocking of a body against wood as he got tangled in his own trousers trying to change them.  When he was all ready to go, he thrust the door open and stepped out, arms wide, and spun for her.

"I'm gorgeous!  A prince ready for the ball.  Oh, Lir, I can't have you seen looking like a blacksmith's assistant in that get up, you'll embarrass me!"  Mads looked only vaguely concerned, almost having not noticed his own outfit of bright, neon red with his undergarments put on the outside.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

The Connlaothian widened her eyes a little, backing up from Mads as he went on his tangent. She had no idea that the festival would be so important to him, never mind another trigger for his, well, madness. Regarding him quietly, not sure whether to intervene or to let him continue on, Liron ended up just staring at him, only shaken up when he actually took her by the shoulders and shook her, tossing her back so that she plopped right into one of his many chairs. She huffed, shaken and flustered, a tangent brewing on her lips, trying to sort out what he was going on about now.

"What, most important?
Mads, what do you mean by that?
I don't understand..."

Ah, he mentioned — his colleagues. Perhaps they'd be at the festival — was that really his biggest concern. Poor Mads, she knew — his colleagues, surely, they were more accomplished scholars, were they not? Sure wouldn't know, didn't really care to know much about the fields of magic beyond what could cure her, but Mads' chaos was too fierce for her to ponder such things now. The chairs, Mads was saying, do something about the chairs. She stared at the pile, then back at the place Mads had been, then back to the chairs again.

"Oh, you made this mess!
Of that, I am very sure.
It can wait! Later!"

She made a mental note to take the chairs down when they got home — it would be a task and a half, she was sure, but that could wait until later! Mads' scurrying about was contagious, and she found herself merely running a brush through her hair, figuring that her plain white dress she normally wore on weekdays would be fine enough, for the festival. She never spent much time on herself — she was always quite certain that Mads would somehow fall and hit his head when dressing herself, or some other ridiculous catastrophe... She hovered a bit aways from his bedroom door, furrowing her brows, hoping he'd be fine... It sounded like a tornado was raging on in there...

But alas, he was fine — just not... properly dressed. And then he dared to insult her taste!

"Blacksmith's assistant!
Why, I look just fine, thank you!
Mads, look at yourself!"

She gestured to his outfit — to his undergarments being worn on the outside, huffed impatiently.

"...Mads, change your outfit.
You cannot wear underwear
Outside of your pants!"

Liron pushed him back in his bedroom, exasperated.

"In, Mads! In you go!
And don't come out, silly man
Until you are dressed!"

Lion

As fat as Mads was concerned, he was more than ready to go.  But apparently Liron had noticed something he didn't.  He protested as she spoke to him in those funny poems, a habit she couldn't seem to break.  Mads shook his head and huffed in irritation.  Seriously, what the heck was her problem?  He grew irritable quite quickly and after several loud minutes of tremendous scuffling and slamming of drawers and cabinets, there was an abrupt silence and he emerged from the room.

Finally he was respectably dressed and was red in the face.  "Like you're some kind of fashion expert Lir," Mads quipped.  "Why don't you get ready now?  I'll get downstairs and have an apple or something not so very life-threatening.  Goodness, that look on your face, you act as if I might do something to give you a heart-attack!  Goodness, Lir, I can take care of myself!  Now go!"

But of course the truth was he really couldn't.  And he was more than grateful to have her around to help him though he was starting to think she didn't get enough thanks for all the works she did around the house.  With that in mind, Mads decided to make her something to eat before they head off to the festival.  Really, it was the least he could do.

Well, if he didn't lose an eye in the process.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn