Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Work Wanted

Started by stelmarisa, January 28, 2012, 09:12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stelmarisa

She smiled at their shared experience. "I'd never seen the sea at all until I came here. We couldn't afford to travel in Connlaoth, and we lived a long way from the coast. I have been to the beach here though. It's beautiful... you should definitely visit it," she recommended. "The ocean is... huge. I never imagined that something could be so vast."

She had been amazed, and not a little intimidated by her visit to the beach. "It was frightening, in a way," she laughed at herself.

CastlesInTheSky

Oliver smiled as well. A cheerful and calm air surrounded him as he continued to sort the herbs and items.

"Ah, I understand how it would be frightening. Like the sky, the ocean is 'ever vast, ever blue, white masts like clouds, sailing to you.'...or at least that's part of a poem my brother told to me once when I was young." He smiled fondly at the memory.

stelmarisa

"That's beautiful." She glanced up. "What a lovely poem... it certainly described the ocean well."

She shifted position, looking up from sorting. "Do you have a big family?"

CastlesInTheSky

Oliver looked up as well, gently setting the package in his hand aside in a pile of like items. He nodded. "I suppose it is nice, huh. Interesting."

He absently brushed a particularly irritating hair out of his face, his expression rather comical. "Nope, not at all. Just me and my brother, really, though I don't know where he is now."

stelmarisa

She laughed at his first comment, a little confused. "You never thought it was nice before?"

As he continued though, she stopped laughing, now properly perplexed. "You don't know where he is? How is that?" Not knowing where one's family was seemed completely foreign to her, something that was just... bizarre.

CastlesInTheSky

Oliver had shrugged. "Well, just never thought about it, that's all."

Oliver took a moment in replying, appearing to have a hard time choosing the right words to use. "Well...he just sort of left one day. We were traveling about and then he was gone. He just flew away." The last part of the sentence wasn't spoken so much as sighed as he was reminded of the incident. Of course, he didn't stop to think that it wasn't exactly normal for people to just fly away. When something was normal to one person, they sometimes tended to assume that it was normal for everyone.

stelmarisa

"He flew?!" This was getting stranger and stranger. Erren unashamedly put her work to one side, gazing at Oliver. "With wings, or... magic? Haven't you heard from him since?"

She was dimly aware that she was asking a lot of questions, but hearing about a life so vastly removed from her own had banished all thoughts of decorum.

CastlesInTheSky

Oliver still sat, legs crossed, but now looking thoughtful. Well, that was strange, wasn't it? One's' brother flying away and not hearing from him since. Having never known anything else didn't help him much with understanding another point of view though.

"Well, I have gotten a vague letter or two from him since, with a bit of money, but that's it. As for the flying..." He shifted, unlatching the cloak from his shoulders. He then partially extended his pair of white, birdlike wings. There were two slits in the back of his shirt that enabled him to do so. "We both have wings."

stelmarisa

Her eyes widened as Oliver unveiled his wings, her jaw dropping open. "Wow..." She was somewhat at a loss of what to say - although she'd seen some people with wings since arriving in Serendipity, birdlike wings seemed to be rarer, and these were definitely a sight to behold.

"You can fly too?"

CastlesInTheSky

Oliver nodded, his blue eyes sparkling. "Yeah! I can fly. Not for as long as some birds can, maybe, but for a while." He folded them against his back again, making sure to remind himself that he should go out sometime and stretch his wings. It got rather cramped when they had to remain on his back all the time.

stelmarisa

She was amazed, and not a little conflicted with her emotions. On the one hand, she was powerfully curious, and desperate to see this man flying - like a bird! But on the other... well... flying. She had been brought up in Connlaoth, and taught all her life that magic was bad, and dangerous. Didn't wings fall into this category. She eyed Oliver with some suspicion, her confusion clearly shown on her face.

"So... are you magic? I mean, a mage?" She corrected herself.

CastlesInTheSky

Oliver had briefly returned to his work, glanced at her and met the suspicious gaze he was being given. He looked quickly away as if ashamed a bit, nudging the items into piles absently.

"Not really. I could learn to use magic but I've never gotten the time. My only natural talent rather than flying...well, is sort of reading minds a bit. Don't worry, it's not like I can do it right now, just strong thoughts and emotions jump out at me. Especially emotions." He didn't look up, still seeming a bit embarrassed.

stelmarisa

As her two emotions battled it out, curiousity won and she shifted closer to Oliver as he spoke. She noticed his expression, belatedly realising that she had probably asked too many questions.

"I'm sorry," she bit her lip. "I didn't mean to ask such a personal question." She reached out a hand to touch his arm apologetically. "It's just, there is no magic in Connlaoth - the whole idea is so new to me, and I've never known anyone who had talents like that."

CastlesInTheSky

Oliver glanced up as she touched his arm, a little smile crossing his face. Rather than changing his expression, he always seemed to have a different kind of smile on his face, whether it be apologetic, rarely sarcastic, or happy.

"That's alright, you've not done anything wrong. I just thought for a moment that, well, because you were from there, you wouldn't really like hearing that I could use a bit of magic..." He looked back up at her, a bit curious. "Tell me, why are you working around Serendipity if you're from a place that doesn't like magic?"

The question's tone was in no way directed to be accusing, just curious.

stelmarisa

Erren shook her head, pleased that her apology seemed to have been accepted. "No, I'm not judging you at all for it... I'm fascinated."

She put a bit of thought into her answer to his next question, thinking back to her home in Connlaoth. "Well, I had to leave home really - there were a lot of us children and not enough money to feed us all," she disclosed this fact freely, unashamed of her family's status. "So I thought I would leave and work elsewhere, so I could send money home. I suppose I could have stayed in Connlaoth, but..." she shrugged. "To be honest, I've always wanted to be around magic and see it for myself. And my mother was brought up in Serendipity, actually. She used to tell me stories of how beautiful it was here - I wanted to see for myself."

CastlesInTheSky

He had smiled a bit at what she had said but hadn't replied.

Oliver squinted his eyes slightly at her as she spoke, listening carefully and abandoning his work for a moment. He rested his arms on his knees in a criss-cross position and nodded. He could feel, for a moment, the occasional glimpses of emotions he got from time to time. He knew she cared quite a bit for her family.

"Ah. Well, I can see that you're very dedicated. Or, well, feel I guess. You know, with the ability I mentioned. I felt you cared for your family a lot. What dedication to your family you have, to travel across mountains and beaches, fields and cities doing jobs to send money to them. I guess if my opinion matters at all, that's a great thing to be doing, more people should be that committed." He looked at her with admiration towards her character and began to sort things again.

stelmarisa

She smiled slightly and ducked  her head, a little embarassed at such praise. She shrugged off his comments lightly, returning to her work as she spoke.

"Well, thank you. I do love my family - big, and poor as it is, it's all I've ever known and it was a wonderful environment to grow up in." She smiled, forgetting her embarassment as she thought of the family farm. "Us children were very lucky - the younger ones particularly, as they got babied by us older!"
"I only hope that here, I can find enough work, and a good enough life, that I can help them out and they will be proud of me."

CastlesInTheSky

Oliver was sorting the items carefully, stumbled across something he wasn't sure of and put it aside, then continued with the job.

"What a cause to have. Though it seems like a difficult job, it must be nice to have a purpose for doing all your work. I mean, what I mean to say is, I just work for myself, you know, just to be getting enough for supporting myself, but you have a family to send money to. You know what I'm getting at? It just is sort of bland I guess, doing jobs only for yourself, you know?"

stelmarisa

"I suppose, although it makes it difficult to save any money." Erren frowned slightly. "For example, I don't have anywhere to live here - and I can't afford anywhere, either."

She smiled over at him. "In the future, you may have a family of your own to provide for. I suppose that would be most fulfilling of all."

CastlesInTheSky

Oliver sighed. Ah, money. He wished there were easier ways to live.

He smiled sheepishly at her comment, looking away. "Ah, well, I guess so. Though I doubt it. I've never even had a girlfriend to be honest, so I don't see myself finding a wife anytime soon." He continued nudging packages this way and that.