Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Road to Nowhere

Started by Lion, January 29, 2012, 10:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

Ashes.

The wind picked up here, though the trees gave a sense of calm to it.  It was gentle and caressed the rings of his hair, and each particle of dusty snow fluttered more akin to the movement of a butterfly than a bird.  They did not glide with grace, but flung whatever direction the air took them and as he held out his hand a piece place itself into his palm.  His head sank to gaze at it.  There was plenty of light here, though the sun had disappeared behind a thick layer of clouds, an afternoon coming to a close.  As he pressed it into his palm, tracing a mark of soot across his palm, he swallowed hard on a dry throat.

Peering upward, he viewed his surroundings, the dilapidated structures of a crumbling house, barn, and shed.  Whoever had lived here, it was a while ago, or they left as the place had burned to the ground.  And what tracks were found were the faint prints of a hound passing through, or a deer if he wasn't mistaken.

Bishop crouched and placed a few fingers in the soil, breathing lightly and shallowly, listening.  The wind itself was silent as he continued to listen.  Perhaps he was alone after all.  He stood and stalked over to the remains of the structures.  He observed it all with a quiet solemnity and tried to envision the people that lived here before.  It had obviously been a farm with what he could tell from the expanse of dirt that had once been tilled, also coated in ashes.  And the barn whose roof was half fallen through, and what walls still stood were scorched nearly all the way through, and prepared to cave in at any moment.

The house was slightly sturdier, but not by far.  The walls that remained were supported by the weight of a half-burnt door resting on it, two sides left standing and other caved or burned through.  Bishop stepped lightly into the structure, the floor merely slats placed on the soil for support and tied with charred rope in some places, rope that now resembled fine string.  It was a small farm, and the family that lived here was probably not a large one.  He looked to his right and saw a blacked, charred stone oven in one corner and a busted bed frame in the other.

Bishop squinted his eyes to see what was beside it before stepping forward himself.  He knelt again and picked up the object, a charred wooden doll that he was surprised hadn't been eaten up by the fire.  It was what looked like a young girl's doll, the face, though chipped and blackened with smoke, was a smiling and had been painted on rather artistically.  Bishop clutched the tiny doll in one hand and found himself grinning back at the tiny object in his much larger hand.

"Lora," he murmured, and felt tears welling up in his eyes and he remembered the young face of his daughter.  She had a doll similar to this one.  He'd carved it for her years ago, whittled in eyes and a nose and a mouth before painting it with such care.  It had a yarn body, where this one had a wooden one, and she had played with the damn thing so much it was already coming apart at the seams and had been badly in need of repair.  He'd promised her he'd fix it.  Promised her before...before...

Bishop stopped and whipped away a tear that had fallen from the barricade of his eyelids and wiped it on his shirtsleeve.  Not here, not now, he told himself.  There was no use in recalling something that he could not fix, could not have mended.  Bishop clutched the doll in his hand again, thumb tracing over the half-painted face and suddenly jumped at a noise of wood moving.  His nerves already on end, Bishop whirled around, looking with wild eyes at his surroundings.

Quickly he saw a shape move out of the corner of his eye, out his sight and disappearing behind one of the walls.  Whether it was a person or an animal, he didn't know, but he knew he was no longer alone.  Though he could not make it out, he saw the figure duck behind the still-standing remains of the shed not too far from where he was.  Bishop moved out from the house, looking out to where he thought he saw the figure move.

"Who's out there?" he called, sounding braver than he really felt.  "Whoever you are, I'm not going to hurt you."  It was a fool's phrase to use especially out in the middle of nowhere, but it was worth a try.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Haze

It wasn't the most ideal place to sit and eat, but it was calm, and quiet, and far enough away from any people that she could ponder, and let her mind wander as it wanted. She  had her cloak spread out beneath her, picking up the ashes covering the ground. The little copse of trees she tucked herself in to was what she always looked for. Somewhere away from the roads, away from people, and away from questions. Plucking her small travelling bag up from the ground beside her, she searched through until she found the small remains of a loaf of bread, wrapped up in cloth.

She wrinkled her nose at the flakes of ash, in cruel, sombre imitation of snow, and waved them away as she unfolded her lunch. She set it down on her knee, and tore off a small piece, before popping it into her mouth, and chewing absently. With the afternoon closing like it was, the young woman decided that it would be here that she would make camp for the night. She didn't particularly like walking on through in darkness, and so finding a place like this before the sun set was a blessing. She didn't have much in the way of supplies left, and so with the small hunk of bread rationed as he dinner, she folded the bread back up and deposited it back into her bag.

She rose silently to her feet, and took a few steps closer to the buildings. She wanted to inspect the soundness of them, just in case she could find a spot that would give her more shelter than the open trees. It was a long shot, but worth a try, she figured. And that was when she noticed the man crouching with fingers dug into the ground. Stopping in her tracks, she fell into shadow, and observed, scarcely breathing. Big brown eyes tracked him like a predator, lips drawn tight, wary of how to escape this place now that there was another near.

Ehren's eyes narrowed as they followed the man through the house. Was he an opportunist? Looking for spoils that he could sell? If he was, she knew that anything of value was long taken from this home. Absently, her hands folded over themselves, when the voice echoed, ever so softly on the wind. Turning her head, her caught sight of the man, not tall, not short, and not overly stand-outish, head bent over something small in his hands. Her eyebrows furrowed.

It was time for her to go. She had intruded on his moments long enough.

Ehren pushed herself off a tree to leave. She winced as her usually silent foot found wood, and the tell tale snapping  Distracted. That's what she was, and it showed now that she saw the man turning, searching for her. She pushed herself into the shelter of the trees, and shot across to the safety of the shed. Ehren pushed herself back against the unstable wall, and flicked her hood over her head, face falling shadows. "I've heard that before," she scoffed, "and it may be true. But how do you know that I am not here to hurt you?"

Lion

Bishop was taken aback by the voice, certainly not expecting to hear that of a woman.  Who in the hell?  Out here?  This time of day?  What was the world coming to?  But then again, what right did he have to draw any conclusions about anyone, as he considered what his own world had come to.  And he followed wherever his feet took him, through the ashes of these ruins.

Bishop took a few steps to where he thought he heard the voice, clutching the doll that he kept in his hands, keeping it to his side.  His hand did not reach for the knives in his boot shafts, nor the one on his belt.  

"If that was your intention, then you just became my best friend," he replied somberly.  "Yet, wouldn't it have been more prudent to catch me unawares than to draw attention to yourself?  After all, I think I have more to fear from you than you have from me."  He took several steps closer, his boots audibly crunching on autumn leaves.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Haze

She shouldn't have said anything. That much was clear as footsteps edged closer. She sidled to the right, working her way to slink around the back of the shed. For every step she heard advancing, she took one in retreat. She wasn't a naturally aggressive person, and certainly didn't want to start anything now. Still, the man spoke with a sense of defeatism. What does he mean? Does he have a death wish? Great. I've found myself in a game of cat and mouse with a suicidal maniac, haven't I? Good going, Ehren.

Hitching the hood of her cloak to hide further, she gave a remark back. "What would you have to fear from me? For all you know, I am a voice in your head." She rolled her eyes. It was such a stupid thing to say. But what was even more stupid was the fact that she wasn't paying attention to the wall that was fast running out behind her. The hand that was grazing the timber suddenly fell to nothing, and Ehern took a stumbling step back into the ruins of the shed.

"And the drawing attention to myself was unintentional!" She gave a loud 'oof' as she landed hard on her bottom. Eyes darted to and fro beneath the hood, trying to determine the best course of action now. She could either run, or stay put. A hardened streak in her told her to stay put, since she had found the place first, and so she scrambled up, with dagger in hand, turning in stalkish circles until the other made his appearance. This is stupid. I'm getting into a turf war. Ugh. Ehren.

Lion

Bishop was about to offer a smart quip when there was a sudden crash and rattle of a falling wall.  He jumped back at first, but he knew it was only a matter of time before something like that happened and there was an advantage to be taken.  He ran toward the shed and skidded a little when he rounded the corner to see the small woman who threatened him with a dagger in hand.

"Are you all right?" he asked, though taken aback by the dagger.  But really he expected as much.  "You should really put that down, eh?  There ain't no need to shed any blood."  He took a step forward, but he was just as prepared to spring back if she attempted to move against him.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Haze

"What? Yes I'm fine-" She was caught off guard by the question, and she stood stock still, watching the man.

"Stop," she stepped back as he came closer. She eyed him suspiciously. He held no weapon. Slowly, she slipped the dagger away into its sheath at her hip, and crossed her arms beneath her hood. "You're probably the first person I've met out these ways, who when they say they're not going to hurt anyone, actually doesn't pull a weapon. Are you mad? What if I had been ready to slit your throat?"

She gave a guttural little smirk, and pushed the hood back from her head. Arms were crossed against her chest as she appraised his appearance. "What are you doing out here, anyway? Sifting through ruins. It's pointless, you know. There is nothing here worth taking."

Lion

Bishop took a step back and stood up straight, yet he visibly relaxed when she put her knife away.  So, she was a knife-fighter too.  He could tell by the way she dropped into the stance so quickly, self-taught most likely.  He wasn't much of a fighter, in fact he was far more than relieved that she didn't seem to want to fight either but it clearly disheartened him that she had to pull out a blade at all.  There was obviously a reason for that, though Bishop wasn't sure he wanted to know why.

He actually smiled, though a bit shyly and shook his head, the grin quickly fading.  "I suppose I am.  But I suppose, I'm accustomed to the idea that if ya wanted to kill me, you would'a done so by now.  I'd be right there on the ground choking on my own blood, eh."

He didn't realize he'd still been gripping the doll he'd found and he looked at it.  He frowned awkwardly and bit his lip.  "I'm not sure what I'm looking for.  I came out here thinking maybe somebody could help me.  Maybe that someone is you, but you pulled a blade on me.  Maybe it isn't you.  But what the hell are you doing here?  You don't look like a farmer.  I don't suppose you lived here then?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Haze

"Something like that," she muttered, not to sure what to make of this stranger. He smiles too easily. Never trust a man with an easy smile. Extremely wary, she maintained her distance.

"I didn't 'pull a blade' on you. If you were from around here, you'd know the kind of people that lurk in the woods. My defending myself from a stranger is no reason to assume I'm not the kind of person who would help someone in need." She rose a haughty eyebrow, and relaxed slightly, a hand falling to her hip.

"I was looking for somewhere to spend the night. I'm not a farmer, I never lived here, and I'm not going to kill you. At least, until I know who you are. Then killing you might become an option." She spoke in dry sarcasm. She had no intention of killing anyone. She'd managed to refrain from it the last few years, and she wasn't about to stop now. She was a spy, not an assassin.

"What do you need help with, any how?"

Lion

"You must be a jester of some sort, what a killing sense of humor you have," Bishop commented wryly.  But he wasn't interested in sarcasm, that wouldn't get them anywhere would it.  Now that he thought about it, standing here talking wasn't getting them anywhere either.  

"Since you're so keen on knowing my business without giving up yours, I think you ought to at least give me your name before you gut me dry.  Then we'll see who lives and who dies."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Haze

"Yessir. Funny is my middle name." She certainly was in a fighting mood now that they were talking in circles.

"I told you my business," she wasn't stupid, and she stayed her ground. "I told you, I was looking for a place to stay the night. And I'm not that keen on knowing your business either - I was just trying to be helpful. I even put my knife away, didn't I? You asked me first what I was doing. Seems you are the nosy one. Look, if makes you feel any better," She deftly plucked the dagger from its pocket, and tossed it to the side. "No weapon, okay?

"I'm not here to kill you. If I was, it would have been done by now, and I would be sitting there," she jerked her head over to the whatever was remaining of the house, "sharpening my knife. But now it's on the ground, just to prove to you that I'm not here to kill you.

"Name's Ehren. Are you going to tell me what you're looking for?"

Lion

"Bishop," he murmured, extending a hand to her, though she might visibly see that it was shaking quite a bit.  And though he had spoken words of peace and negotiation rather than hostility and conflict, it was quite evident that his nerves were on end.  Bishop hid the doll from sight, tucking it in the back of his belt where he had his own knife ready for quick use, but as she'd seen, he'd refrained from pulling it out.

He did not know if he could trust this woman.  He doubted it even if she had gone to all these lengths to throw her dagger to the ground.  But if she was anything like him, she carried more than six or seven blades on her at any one time.  It wouldn't make sense to only have one then lose it just when you needed it most.  There was no telling what could happen.

And though her name did not spring about any sort of familiarity, he squinted his eyes at her and gave careful thought as to what he had to say.  "I was looking for shelter too.  I've been walking this way for a good long time, but I found nothing but this, broken down place.  I've got to move fast and soon if you don't mind.  There's no telling who could be on my trail...or watching us this very moment."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Haze

Ehren eyed his hand suspiciously for a moment. Then her gaze wandered down to her discarded dagger. With a little sigh, and a shake of her head, she stepped forward, and took his hand. Her grip was firm, if not a little cold, and she shook just once, before turning her back, and scooping up her dagger again. "I'm not going to use it on you, 'kay?" she threw a glance over her shoulder at Bishop, with a slightly mocking smile, then returned her weapon to it's little sheath. And she was nothing like him. She had the one weapon, and she wasn't about to be weaponless for long.

"Hey, I'm not going to stop you if you want to move on, but I think you should wait till morning now," she turned back to face him, weight pushed onto one leg, and hand on her hip. "This area's not too pretty at night." She wasn't about to go into detail, but from the slightly skittish look of his hand, the shaking which she had not missed, she wondered if he might be the kind to spook, and get himself into even more trouble than necessary.

The words about being watched however, struck a chord, and she squinted her eyes at him. "You on the run? Or is that just a line you throw out for sympathy?"

Lion

Bishop grimaced at her in sudden irritation.  It wasn't any of her business but she seemed to be more unnervingly perceptive than he would have liked.  What did she know about being on the run?  And more importantly what did it matter to her?  It probably didn't, he figured, but the way she spoke, she didn't seem to be judging him.  In fact, maybe she would understand more than he figured.  Then again, maybe not.

"I don't need[/] anyone's sympathy," he snapped at her.  "And you look like quite the sorry lot yourself, so maybe you need it more than I do.  As for being on the run...what would you know about that?  You look the type to spend as much time crawling in the mud, ducking bounty hunters and the like.  So maybe you're on the run too...you look like someone who doesn't want to be found."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Haze

Was this guy for real? She couldn't hide the irritability this man was causing. The hand withdrew from her hip, and her arms crossed, eyes boring a hole into the top of his head. He was touchy, wasn't he? And quite happy to make accusations where she was simply asking questions.

"Excuse me?" Ehren's voice was filled with thinly veiled contempt. "If I didn't want to be found, you wouldn't even know I was here." She snorted, and flicked her hood up, face disappearing into shadows, as if to prove her point. "I know plenty about being on the run. I also know plenty about why someone might be on the run. I know what to listen for, and I know what to watch for. You, Bishop, " she spoke his name with a distrustful lift of her eyebrow, "should be careful about judging someone based on how they look."

She turned her back on him, inwardly fuming. That he would make these kinds of assumptions rankled her, and got her hackles up. She'd come a long way since her early pick-pocketing days, and she prided herself on the fact that she had made the most of her current situation. Which she was reminded about now. His name was playing over and over in her head, like she had heard it somewhere before. "I'm not on the run," she finally said, wanting to vindicate herself. "If I were on the run, you'd know about it. I wouldn't hesitate to slit your throat then."

Lion

He knew his instincts were right on the money with this one.  She didn't look like just any sort of wanderer.  That odd sensation in his stomach that began to manifest when she told him all this made him sick and he almost wanted to heave all over her.  Fortunately he had nothing to eat that day and there was nothing to toss up.

"Your points are noted," he said simply.  "Though you certainly make those points well considering you made a noise to catch my notice in the first place and knocked down an entire wall trying to get away in the first place. So whatever skill you claim to possess, they failed you in this moment.  Perhaps this is the start of a trend.  Though for your sake, I would hope not."

"Besides, there's just as much risk in knowing my name," he muttered and he did something he never thought he would do.  He whipped out a blade of his own from the back of his belt.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Haze

"Because I wasn't trying to hide from you in the first place," she bit back, blushing that he would bring up her lapse in fleet-footedness and stealth. "It happens. Mistakes. I was just watching you, and I was distracted." And distracted was what she was again. For even with her back turned to him, she heard the tell-tale sound of movement.

With her heart jumping into her throat, she realised she had made another mistake. Her back was to him, and she didn't have a clue what he was about to do. Slowly she pivoted on her heel, and stood to face him and his weapon. "You decide to pull the blade now?" She was bold enough to scoff, though her hands didn't reach for her weapon. She had no desire to fight with him. And she knew she could be quick to draw on him, if his intention was sinister. Which she didn't believe it was.

"Mister, if you want to kill me, then fine. Do it. Just know it wont be just me you are damning."

Lion

Bishop didn't want to kill her.  In fact, he wish he didn't even have to talk to her.  He was foolish to have told her his name in the first place.  Even if it wasn't his real name, he damned well was aware of the risks of having it known in the first place.  If he had to cut her open, he wouldn't like it...but he would have to live with it.

"I'm already damned," he breathed, his eyes now desperate as he stepped in for the attack.  He thrusted, aiming for the center of her chest and stepping quickly into a stance similar to the one she pulled on him when he discovered her.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Haze

Her eyes narrowed in the shadows, warm brown eyes going steely cold. So, he was going to attack after all. She waited, waited, waited until the last possible moment, and then ducked under his thrust, twisting her body off to the left. She was smaller. She could be quicker, too.

Lithe fingers plucked at her dagger, and she spun herself around him to appear at his right side. Her feet were soundless now. "I wasn't talking about you," she hissed back at him, and swung her blade out to catch him across his hand.

Lion

It was too late for diplomacy now.  Bishop knew that once that had been breached there was no going back, not now at least.  He was no fighter, but all his experience from his past came flooding back.  He twisted and let his knife meet her blade, pushing her away.  She might be fast, but he could use his size to his advantage.

He stepped in again and swung for her knife hand, aiming to disable her where he could.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Haze

Damn it - he was just as quick. Ehren gave a grunt as steel met steel and took a half step back. Again, she spun away from his strike, this time flicking her dagger into her other hand as she did so. It was her weaker hand, but at least if she could continue to fight with both, she might be able to come up with some sort of advantage.

She stepped back another step, before bending her forward leg, and launching herself at him, lifting her strike to his shoulder. "Really?" She breathed, "we're really doing this?"