Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Campfire Stories

Started by Van, May 28, 2012, 07:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Van

This forest was as good as home to Van. She knew it well - where the neighbors made their dens, the movements of the deer, where the safe spots were, and more. This crisp early spring night was hers, as it had been for five years running now, and the hunting was good. A dirty gold shape, big as a bear, darted between the trees and crashed into the underbrush in chase, the buck ahead of her giving a distressed snort in its panic to get away, white tail flashing as it bounded over a fallen log.

She wasn't baying, or even growling at this point, so focused on the hunt she was that all she could do was exhilarate. The hunt was on. Her prey was canny - he was a wily old deer, and he'd learned a good many tricks at evading a predator, but he'd never faced a werewolf before. She didn't even fall for the triple sideways, and he was proud of that one! He knew it as soon as he had looked around behind the stump.

She was right behind him.

Death came with a crack and a half-expressed curse, and the buck fell lifeless at Van's paws, neck snapped neatly with her paw, the buck's head lolling over his back. Van leaned down, scooping the dying buck's head into her mouth and ending it, almost gently, snuffing the life from the wily old shell. The stink of him, the smell of the sweat and blood, it was intoxicating, but that was the bargain - lose the chase, become the meal, and fair was fair. He was her's now.

She roared - a sound long, long before words, from an ancient part of her that sniffed the wind and felt the earth move beneath her, something the late man heard just before he became 'late'. Then, she changed.

It was almost silken, how her skin shifted and moved as muscle and bone shifted fluidly inside her body. Pain came, but it was brief, like stepping on a tack or getting a leg cramp. The beast pressed in upon itself, and the girl came loose with a gasp, pale skin reddened with exertion and steaming in the cold night air, like the corpse of her take for the night.

As she hefted the body, she took up an old Elven melody - sang it very softly under her breath as her bare flesh glistened in the gibbous half-moon's light like pale silver, glistening red blood coating her face and hands and dribbling down her front not insignificantly.

It was a short walk to her stash, a little corner of masonry that was out of the wind and rain (when there was any). A quick dip in a nearby stream saw her face and body cleaned, and as she dressed... she heard the howl.

Van froze. One... two... four... seven. Seven wolves. Seven wolves knew she was here, and they were not. happy. Now... it has to be said - one wolf, two, maybe three or four, that's nothing to a werewolf who knows their business. But more than that... even four was enough to hurt her, the kind of hurt that lasted hours before it healed, but five, or more... could overhwelm even her, and she knew it. Their baying and howling made no mystery of their intentions. She needed shelter tonight - the forest wouldn't be her friend.

RimmedGlasses

Harland sat beside his fire, an old tome in hand he sat twirling his trusty sword in a small circle like motion. "Another night to relax it seems." He chuckled to himself. The forest was not somewhere he liked to stop but he didn't mind the quite it reminded him of the hermit's home. He looked past the fire some rustling and cracking branches but just some animal he shrugged it off as he set his book down. He shadow fenced with himself around his small glade making sure to watch the fire. Sleeping in the dark would not go well for him even with his size.

Clenching his fist he began to swing more rapidly adding a harsh jab with his left hand. Hitting a tree a loud crash and bang from the tree falling fallowed by a loud roar and the forest went back to silence. He moved quickly back to his stumps releasing his blade it stuck into the soft dirt. He frowned scolding himself. "How are you going to keep a place in peace if you can't keep the forest in peace." He shook his head looking out to the darkness he heard the howl of wolves by the sound of it a pack.

Drawing his blade he couldn't lose this place to some animals he stepped over the knocked over tree and peered into the sheet like darkness. Shaking his head he paced back and forth in the glade repeating a mantra to himself. One to calm him and also to focus himself on the task of defense.

"Defend yourself or bend on your knee to your better." His was spooking himself and he knew it he sheathed the blade and sat town and began reading again he just needed to let his mind rest it had been a long day and his jitters were holding sway. He reached over and took a swig from a wine he was given in the last town and began to whistle like a drunkard in the ally ways.

Van

A figure came trudging into the small glade Harland had claimed, light reflecting, almost catlike, off of blue eyes that seemed to shine like beacons in the sheetlike darkness. Van could not afford much caution - the wolves were very nearly snapping at her heels... but they wouldn't rush a human in metal, a fire, AND a werewolf. At least... so Van hoped. So a pale blonde woman, no older than ninteen by looks, wearing furs with a buck as big as she was over one shoulder and a sword in her hand came into the firelight, bright blue eyes trained on the defender of the meek.

"Wotcher!" She barked. Without so much as a grunt, she tossed the buck to the fireside and turned back towards the darkness, just as many yellow eyes became visible on the very edge of the darkness. She gave her sword an inexpert twirl and *roared* - and it was a roar, people don't often make that kind of noise with such depth and feeling - at the shapeless watching darkness. Its meaning came in sonic form, pure as lightning. It said

'Get away from here, or I'll give each and every one of you the hiding of your lives!'

Followed closely by a low growl that seemed even more out of place in a girl's throat. They lingered a moment or two on the edge of darkness, glints of fangs and coats of bristling fur scarcely visible before they receded into the darkness. Hate was no match for threefold fear, and the wolves did the smart thing... could have been very ugly.

She stood there a moment or two, eyes searching into the darkness, but facing the fire had ruined her night vision completely. The darkness was a black silk sheet, and no trace of the wolves lingered on the wind. Van grunted, apparently satisfied with this, and looked to the fire's owner, relief pouring off of her as she stood straight.

"Room for one more around your fire, mister?" Van asked, shooting him a nervous grin.

RimmedGlasses

Looking up he watched this small girl toss a large buck off her shoulder like it was an old dress and turn swing her blade around clumsily but still with ease. He smirked what had just showed up on his door step was something to wonder. "Are you alright ma'am?" He stood his arm gained a small glow as he approached her. "I heard a few howls they weren't coming from you were they." He chuckled at the thought looking back at the buck. "You seem to be doing well sadly your luck had turned sour you have found me." He smirked with a sigh.

He stood beside her examining her subtlety. "Hmm may I ask how you killed such a beast and out ran a pack." He shook his head. "You know forget I asked I am Harald the pleasure is all mine. Been a while since I saw a face in the forests." He offered his hand to her with a warm smile.

Van

When he asked if she was alright, she nodded.

"Yeah - nothing a belly full of venison won't fix." and squatted beside his fire, pulling a crimson scabbard from her things and sheathing her lusterless steel blade into it. When he asked her if she was the source of the howling cries, she just smiled to herself and shook her head, engrossed in the task of looking over the meat of the old buck. He was a magnificent creature, and his meat would be pleasingly tough - her favorite kind. Truly, this was a bounty she could be proud of. She let the question about how she outran the pack and slew the beast wash past her - just as well, it turned out. He rescinded the question, and she was grateful in her own quiet way. She drew her blade again and brought it down on the buck - the first cut was the worst, and it parted the buck from his head - which was crushed.

"Nice to meet ya, Harald. I'm Van - hold this, would you?" she said, quite cheerfully handing him the severed head as she set to dressing the deer. Her method was not... scientific by any means, but the innards were placed neatly to the side in a thick canvas bag of sorts, and took seconds. She looked up from her work after severing some sinew.

"Ever dress a deer before, Harald?" she asked, a smudge of deer blood on her nose as she beamed at him, quite cheerfully - the gore of it didn't seem to bother her much.

RimmedGlasses

Harald held the large beast's head under his arm it had quite a weight to it. "I have never done a dressing I usually leave that to people I hire." He chuckled as this... woman? Yes a woman looked at this desiccated  corpse with the same look most women would see a new fur coat. He shook his head looking her over. "Fate is quite the clever girl isn't she?" He chuckled to himself looking over the dear.

He knelt over the body. "So what would the first step be?"

For as big as he was Harald always had preferred vegetation it was softer and no death was needed. Sure he would eat meat but he knew what it was like to lose something like a family.

Van

Van, however, was uncomplicated in terms of food. She was a creature of the world wild animals lived in, though, and she understood the arrangement - perhaps her new friend did not? The thought did cross her mind, but he had asked!

"Done it already - killed it, didn't I!" she chimed, her momentary discomfort washed away. "Clever he was! Gave me a good run... but I'm faster, see!" she bubbled, getting on with removing the bits you wouldn't like to eat until things were *really* tough, stowing them on the length of sacking she'd devised, and tied it up tight - she let him watch, but she didn't slow down to teach - after all! He'd said he left it to people.

She smiled up at him again, forearms covered in blood. "So, Honor" she said, addressing him - he could hire people and afford that kind of armor, and that automatically placed him in the realm of wealthy, thus (probably) noble. She carved out slabs of meat, setting them on the a fresh bit of canvas, out of the dust and dirt. "Shouldn't you be somewhere soft? Odd, seein' people out this far."

RimmedGlasses

He looked over the kill things were strange enough but she out ran this beast she must have used magic most likely a wild girl but he could not turn away a friendly face."Honor, milady I am no sir I have no power. I am servant of the people a protector." He lowered his head. "It is my duty in life to serve people for I have none to call my own." He shook off his morose look for a pleasant grin. "I am traveling it's what I do. I go from town to town checking up on things to see order is kept."

He smiled at her and cocked a brow. "The better question is why such a young lady is out here breaking giant beasts into two with a rather large blade? If I may ask that milady?" He chuckled as he looked at her an answer he had seen quite a share of crazy things but never something like this. If he saw this girl he would think of a girl who spent time watching soldiers not a hunter who could kill so easily.

Van

As Van addressed the buck's meat, skinning it as she went with the familiarity of experience easing the way, His comments washed over her and she glanced at him occasionally to let him know she was listening as she worked, leaving him there to stand and explain himself a bit. Mentally, she cursed herself for asking him a question, not at all because he was annoying her - quite the contrary, he was a breath of fresh air and welcome company compared to the wolves who would gladly tear her to shreds outside the light, somewhere in the woods.

Just the same, she really didn't want to have to answer some styles of questions. The one he asked her after his explanation was just such a question. She smiled at him, somewhat uncomfortably.

"Well... because I like to eat and wear clothes, mostly..." she joked, setting another thick slab of meat onto the sacking she was using. It was a dodge, but it was honest - that was important. She'd been brought up never, ever to lie and she found the answer satisfactory - it was absolutely, positively honest.