Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Remember we're a medieval game, guys! <3

Started by Rhindeer, July 26, 2012, 03:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

I know it's really tempting to toss modern elements into one's threads, but remember, folks--we're high fantasy, true, and a completely different world from Earth, but we're medieval-inspired! xD (Typically, by the late medieval period.)

We may be fantasy and have a lot of elements that weren't available in actual medieval times and we take a lot of creative liberties, but the medieval element should still be in the forefront. :3 We're definitely not a modern game, just add swords. ;D

There are no bathrooms in SotE. There are no sinks, no running water, no faucets. Essyrn and Connlaoth have some of the most advanced plumbing in the game, but they still don't have that! For everyone else? Well, ya get chamber pots. xP They didn't even have restaurants yet, though there were taverns.

Mind the clothing, as well! There are no fedoras or tank tops or jeans or even bras. I'd suggest reading up on the clothing styles of a particular nation and drawing inspiration from there. Or you can read up on common medieval styles and likewise draw inspiration from there. ^^ Again, we allow for a lot of creative liberties and people back in those days had some pretty wild styles. ;D (And throw in some magic? You can get even wilder.)

This is just a friendly remember to be careful of the anachronisms and mind the setting you're playing in! <3
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Waltz

Rhindeer

Ah! That's really awesome! 8D I hadn't heard about that discovery yet!

Well then! I stand corrected! xDD
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Goldie

I would say, to be safe, call them all small clothes or loin wrappings. Even the Romans had bra-type things but they weren't specifically called bras until early 1900s ^_^ Most women usually wore these tube-top-type wrappings (at least from what they've found in Europe. That article about Australian bras is AWESOME! I'm super excited for that find! AHHHH)

Zane

(In my personal research) I found that often times, women used bandaging wrappings for breast wrappings.

Rhindeer

Agreed, Goldie. xD The word "bra" is very modern. I always liked small clothes. 8D

Ethereal-Star

What about calling it "undergarments" or "underclothes"? I think the word 'underwear' is a modern term, not sure. No usage of words like pyjamas or PJ's either. Nightgown or night wear would be good.

And definitely no guns or bombs (unless it's a grenade-like weapon which is okay.) Think like acid flasks or alchemist's fire. Other items of note are torches, oil lanterns, sunrods and smoke sticks. Drawing upon a bit of D&D here for this but it works for any fantasy/medieval RP.

Oh, and when lighting a fire in a cold environment (like the Hyoite tundra) do not mention matches or lighters obviously. They used flint and steel for the most part I think, or if your character has magical fire abilities they could do so that way too. As for lock-picking, think needle and twine or lockpicks also called thieves' tools. Good for thief/rogue/assassin types.

I have a book on fantasy lore that touches on a variety of things including race creation, medieval customs and status positions, as well as clothing, religion and other stuff. Real comprehensive and helpful. But it is geared towards fantasy fiction writers not RPG players specifically, even tho we do write here. Great source of info in my opinion. I will have to go find the book to mention it's title, don't recall off-hand. 

Lion

Connlaoth has guns, which gave been around since medieval times, but technology-wise, I remember Rhi said they were more circa the Wheel-lock/Early Flintlock era.  If I'm wrong I'm sure Rhi will correct me.  But gunpowder has been around since medieval times and was gradually implemented more and more into warfare. 

And I believe undergarments is also acceptable. 

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Ethereal-Star

Just finished reading the very long section of Connlaoth lore and yes, you're right they do have guns but only the military there are allowed to use them. Still haven't finished reading everything about all the nations and places but I have glanced at and read some of them. I'm going in order of what's listed on The World page. Next up to read is Yoreiq. So, my bad about the gun use. I guess when I think of medieval fantasy I am thinking more of the 'sword and sorcery' sub-genre. Guns apparently didn't enter the equation for me. And I am not a history buff.  :)

I am still new here, but I have all the places on my to-read/finish reading list.

Tags: