Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Sparkly white things that fall from the sky (Open)

Started by Kesra, November 07, 2012, 10:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kesra

The trip here had been long. And cold. Very very cold. Anwen spent most of it in the lower decks of the ship, shivering and trying to stay warm. Where she came from it was never cold. Never this cold anyways. It had been days since she had come to the surface of the ship.

One of the other patrons along the way had taken pity on her. They gave her an old fur cloak that was falling apart in places with several apparent holes. She was grateful for it nonetheless and spent much of the trip huddled in it. She had been careful the entire time to keep her distance from others.

One of the men working the ship came down to inform her they had arrived. She gleefully stood only to find balance difficult to keep for a second. Once getting that under control, she made her way to the deck. What she saw there was unlike anything she could have imagined.

A white flake of something came down to touch the tip of her nose. She reached up to touch it only to find it melt away before she could. Looking out, she could see the city and the blanket of white around it. She nearly ran down the gangplank only to place wrapped feet in something very cold. Still, her excitement overshadowed her apprehension. She turned from the village, certain it would still be there later.  She reached out to take a handful of the snow.

Dreamwolf

"It's called snow." The voice came from the further inland, towards the village. A Large cart with a pair of powerfully built stallion hooked to it and a bright red, warm forge burning beside. The man who stood by the forge offered a smile.

"Names Ragnr Fenris, call me Fen though. Come sit by the forge, it'll take some of the chill off." He patted the spot beside him on the wooden bench. "Don't worry I don't bite."

((No worries on hurting him, he'll just heal himself automatically))

Kesra

"Snow." Anwen repeated, reaching up to catch another snowflake. She smiled feeling the snow melt in her hand. She looked to the man that spoke to her. She pushed a strand of her hair from her face.

She walked toward the forge sitting down on the bench as he gestured. She made certain to keep her distance from him however. She picked up wrapped feet, still with snow clinging to them, and held them up to the fire.

"Thank you."

Dreamwolf

Fen took in the wrapped feet and the girl's general state of non-education. Not knowing what snow was, that seemed normal at first look, many from the south didn't see snow until they came here. When coupled with the condition the girl was in it usually added up to one of several things. Either she was a poor homeless child from the south, or a slave that had runaway. These two scenarios seemed the most likely, but, rather than bring it up Fen opted to ignore it for the time being.

Standing, but motioning for the girl to stay seated, he rummaged about in his cart for something he'd received in trade for a batch of needles and pins he'd made for a cobbler. The old soft shoes didn't fit the smith and he knew he'd never forgive himself for not doing anything when he could. He also found an old blanket and a pair of breeches that he didn't need. All the things were clean as the smith washed his clothing after every use.

"Try these on over what ye have, child. I'll not have anyone say that Ragnr Fenris is a cold-hearted man, though I can be mighty spiteful of those who wake me earlier than I intend. I've some other warm clothes too, if ye want them, I don't need 'em and it's best they be used." He was lying bout the need part, he would need the warm clothes, but he had coin to buy more, this lass had none. "I won't press for yer tale, but my ears is open. You'll find me mighty sympathetic of most stories, my own not being to bright its-own-self."

visualspice

It had been a long journey, but the young knight in training had nothing to compare it to. So, despite the long months it took, his spirit was hardly damped. In fact, Killian had become all the more excited as they neared land (for his time at sea had been painful, and it took him quite a long time to learn how to control his sea sickness and had become a bit slender over the last few months for it).

When the ship had made port, the real knights had received orders to meet in the village, and let Killian and the other crewmen unload the ship.  It was the first time he was rather thankful for the clunky armor he had to adorn, because it at least offered him protection from the sharp arctic winds.  Though after several hours of dragging luggage and boxes and other such things from the ship, he began to re-think his choice of attire as he sweated and steam puffed from his lips.

Wiping at his brow, his blue eyes wandered towards the village and for a brief moment, allowed himself to take in the sights and gentle, busy sounds at the port.  When his work was considered done, he collected his gear and headed into the town.

There was a lot of new things to see, and the knight-in-training could not stop beaming and gaping at all the shops, buildings and wares.  Shuffling his sack over his shoulder, he turned around but failed to notice the man moving his cart behind him and walked clean into it.

"Oh, sorry-" he began to say, his sack falling off of his shoulder, and when he moved away, trying to shuffle his awkwardly lumpy sack full off supplies over his shoulder,  he backed up right into the young lady beside Fen's cart.
"Oh, I'm so sorry, miss!" Killian began to apologize, blushing when he noticed her pretty face (though he always blushed at a pretty face).

Backing away, he bowed his head shamefully, his white blonde hair fell over his eyes and in doing so, failed to realize how close he was to the precarious stacks of crated fish behind him. When he threw his supply sack blindly over his shoulder for a second time, he managed to single handled knock over the ONLY crate of frozen fish that held the small tower together. Gravity handled the rest as the crates came tumbling down.

"Look out!" Killian shouted, and soon found himself throwing his body over the young woman, protecting her from the falling crates as they crashed to the hard ground below.  The crates toppled over Killian's body, the last one breaking over the metal armor on his shoulder where it cracked open and spilled slimy, frozen fish all over them.  The fish piled around his knees and over the young woman's skirts, all wearing wide, dead glazed eyes and gaping lips.  One even limply perched on the top of his head.

For a moment, Killian could only stare down at Anwen in wide-eyed shock.

"I'm so sorry!" Killian stammered, his face permanently flushed as he scrambled off the ground where he had been poised over her body. "Are you ok?" he asked, offering her a hand.

CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Kat

What is reality?  A question asked in almost every realm.  This realm is one of those realms.  Kat knows the secret about "reality".  It is not real.  She has done what many would consider impossible.  In another realm she would serve drinks created by her own thoughts.  There was one realm that limited her powers greatly.  Luckily that time is behind her.  It was a time of change for her.  Turning her into the being she is today.

Sitting by the forge, Kat had a great view of the event in front of her.  She watched it in almost slow motion.  It was a sight to behold.  But Kat knew everyone makes fools of themselves here and there.  Kat, however, does not.  Everything she does has meaning.  Everything she sees has meaning.

She looks at the fallen couple and decides to speak.  "Young man, you must be more careful.  Such clumsiness could cost you your life.  Remember that."  She stands up and walks over to them.  "Call what happened an accident.  Call it that.  Fate had no part in it..right?"  She smiles mischievously. "Or perhaps you were meant to meet.  Perhaps there was purpose to it after all." 

Kesra

Anwen accepted the shoes, holding them up to either side of her head to look at them close. She looked up to Fen and smiled.

"You are most generous. Thank you!" She leaned down and moved to pull them on. She found her gloves to be rather clumbsy and so she pulled one off with her teeth before reaching for the other. With both gloves off, she was able to help her feet in to them. She didn't bother trying to remove the bandages. Quickly, she tied something she assumed would be a suitable knot. The breeches and blanket were left ignored for the moment as she hopped down from the wagon to try the shoes in the snow. They were a little big for her but not so much that she would trip. "They are wonderful. Thank you for your kindness." She bowed slightly.

She stood up straight as the young man bumped in to her. She looked over her exposed arms to make sure no part of them had touched him, letting out a sigh of releif when she noticed his armor prevented that. She started to hastily pull her gloves back on when she next found herself tackled to the snow.

"Oof!" One of her gloves fell from her hands as she landed, now covered in the fish. She started pushing the fish aside to find it. "It's...it's okay." Her eyes looked up to the hand offering to help her up. She scooted back a few inches.

visualspice

If Killian didn't feel embarrassed before, he sure felt embarrassed now as he watched the woman move away from him as his face fell.

"I didn't mean to startle or hurt you," Killian said in earnest, his eyes pleading with her as he kept on his knees, examining her. "Are you ok?"  He would never forgive himself for this, especially after  making a fool of himself on his first trip to this foreign location. Not only that, he also made one of the people there hate him, too. Anwen probably thought he was an idiot- and honestly, he felt like one.

Then at Kat's statement, he lowered his eyes shamefully and had to mutter to himself.
"Fate.... and fish, right," he said to himself with a sigh, just as the fish upon his head slipped off and dropped between him and the small distance between Anwen.

Killian stared at the fish.  For a brief moment, he almost wish he were as lucky as that fish. At least if he were dead, he wouldn't feel the consuming energies of his guilt.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

alex_xr

Torel had seen the display as he held  several bundles of fur, and other trade goods. He hoped that a trader had come in the newly arrived ship, willing to trade for his goods. A sword on his hip and a bow on his back. Anyone could tell he was a trapper.  He laughed as he saw the exchange. "Nice one, how about you look where your walking there. " He looked about for some sign there as a trader on the ship. He scanned the people around noting the he didn't recognize any of them, which was saying something for the small population of this town.

Dreamwolf

Fen laughed at the happenings. "Easy lad. We all make mistakes. Sit on down and warm up, a knight should naw be unloadin the ship me friend." He laced the accent heavily, part of the joke.

((Would post more but im at the library and strapped for time.))

visualspice

After all of the commotion he had caused, Killian found himself in more than a fishy mess when the fish lady came out from behind her vendor station, the straw she had been chewing dropping from her lips as she stared down at all of her precious cargo, in ruins lying upon the ground.

"My fish!" the woman screamed, her face flushing red.  "What in the name of all of the heaven's- how can this be!?" she placed two hands upon her head and groaned.  "Now what am I to do with my shipment!? How am I supposed to sell these fish when they're all over the ground!?"

Embarassed, Killian rose off the ground to inform the lady of his mistake.

"I'm sorry, Ma'am," he told her, bowing his head before her. "It's my fault your fish are all over the ground."

"You!?" the woman made a face, noticing he was obviously not from around here, especially considering his suit of armour was distinctively Connlaothian and she wrinkled her lips and nose to that.  "An outsider?" She gave an indignant sniff.  "You're a Connloathian, eh? Well, knight or not, with all your fancy get up"

She began, Killian only blinking as his head was spinning at her accusations.
"Knight? Oh, I'm only just a-"

"Well, knight or not! I demand you pick up all of these fish at once!" the woman was haughty, hands to her wides hips as she scowled at him.  "The ship arrives within the hour and what am I to do or say about these fish!?"

"I"m sorry Ma'am I just-"
then she hit him with a pair of gloves.

"Get to cleanin' up this mess before I get real angry with you!" she demanded.

Killian's face couldn't burn any brighter a shade of red as he nodded.

"Yes, ma'am."

"Now, I have to go tell me husband what's been goin' on! Hopefully he can delay the merchant with enough time for you to get those fish back in those cases!" and with a huff, the lady stormed off, leaving Killian to stand there, as an even bigger fool.

Sighing, he reached down to pick the gloves up, only to find, that beneath one of the fish that had been lying under his newly acquired gloves was another glove, much slimmer and smaller lying on the ground.  Bending over, he picked it up and sheepishly scratched at the back of his neck.

It was only then he realized it must've been that girl's glove as he turned around and presented it to her.
"I found this on the ground. Is it yours?" he said, offering the lone, discarded glove to her.  "And again, I'm sorry about earlier." he said, lowering his blue eyes again to the ground.  "I should have watched where I was going."

Kesra

"N-No. It's okay I just...." She started to speak when the angry woman approached ranting about the fish. Anwen picked up a fish from her lap, setting it on a pile beside her as she paused to watch this display. The fish were already dead so her touch would have no effect on them at all. That much was a relief. She stood up slowly, picking up her fish gunk soaked cloak.  She looked over to the man that had been kind to her and smiled, seeing his own good natured smile.

Her attention turned back to the man that had saved her from the Fish Avalanche. She noticed the glove in his hand. Her smile widened as she took it from him, quite hastily pulling it back on up to her elbow. Flexing the fingers, she looked up at him and bowed politely.

"Thank you for finding it. And it's okay. Really. It's just....not a good idea to get too close to me if you can avoid it." Her smile faltered. Looking to the fish scattered around them, she started to help him pick them up, ignoring the fact the slime from the fish was getting all over her gloves.

visualspice

Killian looked up at her, his face still red with a blush.
"It was nothing, really," he commented, smiling softly. "After all, you wouldn't have lost it if it weren't for me." Scratching at the back of his neck again, he looked around at the massive mess he had made and sighed.  It was only then he noticed Anwen helping him to pick up the fish.

"You know you don't have to do that," he said, getting to his knees and beginning to scoop up the fish, which was a slippery affair in it's as one of the fish he picked up he squeezed too tight an dit ended up shooting out from his hands and hitting him in the face.  Killian made a noise, blinking before letting out a gentle laugh as he tried rubbing off the fish grime from his face on his suit of armor, the armor shuffling together uncomfortably as he tried to do so- and in doing so, realized he could not and sighed, leaving the grime where it were as he looked over at the girl again, then away when she commented about not getting close to her.

"Are you sick?" he asked, genuinely concerned as he lifted his eyes again, studying her face.  "If you need some medicine, I can see if I can get some from our supplies-"
but as he was trying to talk to Anwen, actually holding a decent conversation of his own, the woman returned and freaked out once again.

"Aye! You're not wearing the gloves!" she commented, waddling over angrily to where the knight in training now knelt. Flushing, Killian raised himself from the ground.

"I'm sorry ma'am but I-"

"No, buts!" she said with a huff, then she eyed up Anwen, giving her a once over. "And look at you? Getting your filthy travelers gloves all over me fish. Agh! The two of you, get out of here before I call the guards on you! I can clean this mess up myself!"

His face flushed even hotter than before as he backed away.

"We were just trying to help," Killian tried to explain.

The woman only gave a snort, as she bent down to pick up her own fish.

"The next time someone needs help, just don't!" she snapped. "get back to where ever it was you came from!" she said, trying to shoo Killian and Anwen away.

Killian tried to avoid being smacked, but it seemed the woman's reach was unimaginably long as she managed to hit him again with the gloves she had so kindly offered him earlier.  Killian backed away enough, blocking Anwen protectively from the woman before he managed to get himself far enough away from the crazy fish woman before he sighed.

"I know I've already said this already, but I really am sorry for all of this.  It seems I'm just having one of those days." he told her, smiling bashfully as he lifted his head.  "My name's Killian by the way, you know, just in case you want to avoid seeing me in the future." He gave a gentle laugh after offering his own name, then inquired, "What's yours?"

Dreamwolf

Fen stood when the woman came out a second time. Turning on a sweeter than honey smile and cool calm tone he spoke to her.

"Ma'am, tis a cold night and this little laddie is doing the best he can and the young lass here is being quite kind, helping when she doesn't have to. If it makes you feel better..." He waved a hand and the remaining fish on the ground grew little legs and began walked single file to the crates, jumping in without hesitation. "I'm a bit of a special man, ma'am, I may look like a hopeless journeyman smith, but I am, in fact, known for my lovely charms that bring the youth back into a maidens face. For your trouble, let me offer you a charm that takes twenty years off your body, not that I think you need twenty years, but its the only one I have left. I also have charms that make fish stupid enough to swim into the nets without resisting."

Fen had a look on his face that dared anyone to judge him for his power, he was still smiling, but it was harder smile, the smile of a man whose hand had been forced more than once.

Kesra

Anwen smiled as she gathered the fish in her arms. She set them on the crate looking up just in time to see one of the fish smack him in the face. She let her armload of fish slide in to the crate laughing at his troubles.

"I don't mind helping. Really." She smiled. She heard him offer to get medical supplies and quite honestly it confused her. Of course the only sick people she had ever been in contact with had been a result of her own curse, one which there was no medicine to cure.  She bit her lower lip, looking to the ground. Bending down to pick up a few more fish, she was startled by the woman's voice. Her eyes widened as she looked up at her. She looked around, to the knight's hands and then to her own as her own gloves were brought up. She panicked slightly, letting the fish fall from her arms.

She took a step back, slightly behind Killian as he moved in to stand between herself and the woman. It was more instinct than anything. Back where she came from, her father had her play the part of a defenseless girl. She blinked a few times, looking over to him. It was then the kind old man from before spoke up. She tilted her head to the side as he called himself a special man. Charms? She found herself wondering just what those are. Her attention was pulled away from this however as the knight introduced himself.

"It's okay...really. I'm Anwen. It is nice to meet you." She smiled.

visualspice

The woman looked at Fen as if he were crazy.
"A charm? And you expect me to believe you'd just give me some sorta charm?" She gave Fen the old stink eye, but was still.. obviously curious about the charms he had mentioned as she warily stared at him. She had been startled by the fish suddenly crawling away, but was content enough that they were at least off the ground.  Smoothing her hands down her apron, she placed her hands to her hips.

"But I suppose the charm will have to do.  Just give me one, I don't much care, just be quick about it and you," she pointed directly at Killian as the boy flinched. "YOU, stay away from my fish crates, you hear me?"

"Yes, ma'am," Killian said, blushing as he rubbed sheepishly at the back of his neck.
He couldn't help but smile now over the ordeal as he turned back to Anwem, and his smile brightened even more when he got her name.

"Anwen?" he repeated her name out loud , to be sure he wouldn't forget it.  Then he smiled. "That's a nice name. Are you from around here? I'm new here, myself," he said, laughing at himself as he rubbed at the back of his head again. "Though I guess that might be painfully obvious." His cheek still burned with a blush as he looked at her. He supposed himself lucky she wasn't trying to run away from him yet, but stood awkwardly, trying to think of a way to carry on a conversation.  "I'm visiting here from Connlaoth. We came in on that ship over there." he pointed to it where it was floating, anchored at the dock.  "THough, I don't think I'm a very sea-worthy. This was my first trip out at sea." he told her excitedly, smiling and still blushing as he looked at her.  "I guess, considering this was my first time traveling, I might just need to get used to it to get some proper sea legs. Though," he shook his head. "I think I prefer traveling on land much better."  He gave the ground beneath his boots a light stomp.
"Good old solid land for me."

alex_xr

Torel laughed at the antics of the people near by. He smiled as he saw the trader. He knew him from previous trips, and  Torel quickly set out a deal and traded furs for gold. He knew that he now had money to buy some bait and other supplies. He could relax for a little   He stayed back and observed the crowd for a while.

Dreamwolf

Fen produced a charm from his cart, it was a simple thing, a silver bangle just large enough to fit over the old woman's wrist. It had vines and runes worked into the sides, flowing with each other. He placed the bangle on the old woman's arm and smiled at her, in a disarming manner.

"This particular piece reduces many of the affects of age, and relieves tiredness and pain in the joints. It also tightens the skin and gives it  flush of youth." He stepped back, waiting for the charm to take effect. When it did it would be a drastic change for sure. His charms rarely failed, and even then it was because of inert magic in the other person.

Kesra

Anwen looked up at the sky and frowned. It was getting on in the day and there was still that rumor on the ship she wanted to investigate. She held her cloak tighter to her chest and looked up to the others.

"I want to thank you both for your kindness but I need to get going. There is something I'm supposed to be looking for in the forest and I don't want to get caught out there at night. It was wonderful to meet you all."

She smiled to those around and bowed to them awkwardly trying to imitate the way she had seen others do it before turning to walk toward the tree line.

visualspice

Killian blushed as she said her goodbyes, and began to watch her leave, only to suddenly find himself yelling out- "W-wait!" His boots clanked against the ground as she moved after her.
"Are you sure you should be traveling all alone?" he asked, blinking, then took a step back, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly.
"I m-mean to say is, the land out there could be dangerous. Do you need an escort?"