Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Duty Calls

Started by Ivory, December 23, 2012, 08:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivory

She didn't have that much, really -- but Audric would have felt bad if he didn't ask at all.  He did, however, stride ahead of her to pull open the door.

Once she was inside, Audric closed it soundly behind them and followed in her wake for a few paces before speaking up.  "Have you been through town, yet?" he asked thoughtfully.  "I'd be happy to show you.  If there's a threat, it's bound to take root there first."  At least, temporarily; there wasn't many other hospitable places for a mage to hide.

Ycharley

Minala shrugged, as she tossed her things into the room quickly. "If I were a mage trying to kill the duke I would never make trouble in the town, I would pass through like a normal traveler," She spoke, talking more to herself then to anyone else.

"But no, not really, I passed through it very quickly, making my way here," She said with a shrug. She had been traveling for some time, rarely did a palace guard take so much interest in a Mordecai, most saw there arrival as an insult. In a way though she was glad to work with the guard instead of having to work against or around them.

Ivory

Audric made himself comfortable outside the door to the room.  He settled backwards against the wall beside the door, his eyes on a portrait opposite the door.  It was of a pretty woman dressed in furs and finery -- a relative of Calent's, no doubt.

"That wasn't exactly what I meant," he said thoughtfully.  "I just meant they aren't likely to set up the assault from inside the castle."  Not that it was impossible -- it was just the less likely option...  "If you can tell me more of what you know, I can check with a few people in town and ask them to keep their eyes and ears open."

It paid to have contacts throughout both the castle and the city.  You never knew where trouble might spring up, and different stations heard different rumors.

Ycharley

Minala walked out of the room swiftly, "that is the thing though, I don't know that much, for one I wasn't the one that found the note that was left, so I don't even know what it says. All I know is that there are powerful mages coming for the Duke. I don't know how many, or what they look like, nothing, I don't even know how long this plan has been know about," She spoke, clearly frustrated at the lack of information.

Minala sighed with a slight smile, weapons still strapped to her back. She never went anywhere with out her weapons.

Ivory

"Well," the soldier answered, falling, once again, into step beside her.  "Then it seems we have our work cut out for us."

He had some ideas about why mages would be after the Duke.  He was, after all, one of the loudest anti-magic voices in the country.  No doubt, he had angered somebody...and now they wanted to make an example of him.

He would still check with his contacts, of course -- in case they had heard anything, on this subject or any other.

"Drills are done for the day by now."  The tour had taken some time; the palace was, after all, fairly large.  "I'll show you around town.  Most of the locals are good people, but crime seems to find a foothold everywhere, doesn't it?"

Ycharley

"I train in at dusk most of the time, I plan on training tonight like I do every night, but I will be joining you in the morning I suppose," She spoke with a soft nod. She enjoyed training, she found it peaceful.

"Well I'm technically not on duty until tomorrow morning, I made better time then they thought I would," She started, with a smile. "So I plan on stopping by the tavern, have a few drinks before I have to start worrying about everything," She said with a smile.

She planned on having more then a few drinks, she actually planned on drinking quiet a bit. She took her job seriously, yes, but she also wasn't on duty until the next morning so she planned on making most of her time off. 

Ivory

"You'll probably find more than a few of my men there," Audric answered with a slight nod.  Soldiers would be soldiers, after all!  "Unless you're planning on visiting some of the seedier taverns."  It was her choice, of course, though he would recommend against it.  Those were a little rowdier than most working men -- soldiers included -- liked.  Besides, they watered down their drinks!

"I'll also show you the rest of the town.  There's not much there that we don't have available here -- a smithy and the like -- but you'll want to see what you have to work with, I imagine."

Ycharley

Minala nodded, it would be nice to see the whole town. If she knew the lay out it would give her the home field advantage in any battle. She thought it would be nice to have other soldiers in the tavern, it would remind her of home and feel familiar.

Of course, she almost always ended up stabbing a guy in the foot. She was always mistaken for a wanna be fighter or a tavern girl or something of the likes. Then some brave soul would go for a grab and she would just have to make an example out of them. She really hoped that no one in the town would make the mistake, but they always did.

"The tavern will be the only place I'll need to know unless I end up staying here for an extended period of time, which is a possibility in this case."

Ivory

Audric nodded thoughtfully.  "Most of us usually frequent the Blue Goose.  It's one of the nearest taverns, and the owners serve pretty good food to go with the ale."  He grinned and shrugged slightly.  "And they like having soldiers around.  They prefer their business to be on the up and up."

He didn't bother to tell her about the other tavern the younger, unmarried, and unfaithful soldiers frequented...  He'd let her find out about that one on her own.  There was no reason to go around soiling his good name!

"So you expect this to take a while, then?"  Well, that shouldn't surprise him, he thought.  They had nothing to go on and nowhere to start, it seemed.

Ycharley

Minala nodded. She looked up into the sky, checking the suns position. It was later then it felt to her, which she figured was a good thing. The more energy she had the more she could drink and have fun that night. She wondered if Audric was a drinker, or if he was all work and no play like some of the older soldiers were on the borders.

Minala's mind then returned to the fact that she was basically there with no information on the people who were trying to kill the Duke. Then her mind wondered if how long this plot had been in action, had people already infiltrated the Dukes staff?

Ivory

Audric fell silent as well as they made their way back through the palace and towards the town.  It wasn't a great distance from the castle; in fact, the town had grown towards the palace rather than away from it.

Nearest the palace, of course, were the homes of the well-to-do townsfolk.  Mostly wealthier merchants, business owners, and property owners, the homes here were spacious and clean.  Audric's own sisters lived on this end of town with their husbands and families, as had his parents...  This part of the town gave way to the small shops that often doubled as homes for their owners -- shopkeepers and craftsmen, mainly.  Audric pointed out the Blue Goose Tavern with a grin.

On the other side of the shops stood the smaller homes of the more lower-class, as it were.  From the door of the tavern, Audric gestured towards the southeast quadrant of the city.  "The bad part of town's in that direction.  They're not all bad there, obviously, but you'll want to keep your purse and valuables close the further you go that way."

Ycharley

Minala chuckled, her coin purse was tucked away nicely. It would be easier to take her boots off her feet with out her noticing then to get at her coin purse. She ran her fingers through her long hair, then ran it over the nearly shaved part, hoping there wasn't any blood.

"I think I'll be fine, but thanks for the warning," She said with a slight bow, she was off duty and ready to party, just like she did when she was at the border. She hoped the palace guards would be able to keep up with her loud, rough, and raw soldier ways. She also hoped they had a half decent bard.

"Are you going to join me, or are you on duty?" She asked pausing a moment. She half wanted to see if Audric still had it, if he still lived up to the stories that her commanders had told her about when she was younger. She had already noted off the charm her commanders had swore he had. That he could smile and every women, even the most war hardened, would swoon.

Ivory

"I'll be joining you in an hour or so," he answered with an immediate smile.  Audric was the typical soldier, after all: the tavern was his second home.  "I have some business to tend to first."  Mostly with some of his people in town, but he also wanted to head back to the palace briefly just to let the Duke get his personal feelings about the Mordecai's presence off his chest.

"Save me a seat, will you?" he asked cheekily.  He lifted a hand to wave, then half-turned and added with a smirk, "I almost forgot.  Unless you're a good gambler, you may want to avoid the card games until you're more familiar with the players."  His grin widened ever-so-slightly.  "A few of my men are suspiciously good at poker."

(OOC: I'll let you do an in-between post of what trouble (or lack thereof) she's going to get into while Audric is gone...  :D  I'm on my way home from work, so I had to rush this post!)

Ycharley

Minala flashed Audric a bright smile, "If your a girl you don't have to be a good gambler, you just have to know how to distract!" She she with a nod, adjusting the straps to her weapons, making her amble cleavage very distracting. "Well have fun, I suppose I'll be here when you get back, unless I get kicked out first."

With that Minala walked into the tavern, receiving a good share of stares as she walked in. She walked up to the bar laying a few bronze pieces down, receiving a large tankard of ale. She then made her way to play some poker. Her hips swaying seductively. The men at the table were all but drooling. She pulled up a chair and flashed a dazzling smile to the men, many of them she would guess were soldiers or guards.

"Deal me in fellas," She she said flashing another bright smile and batting her lashes. It didn't take long before Minala cleared out the table. She stood with a smile and a much larger coin purse, "It was nice playing with ya guys, but I need tah get some more ale," She said with a chuckle, the men not even seeming mad that they lost there money, still just taking in the view. Of course, later that night they would probably get mad.

Ivory

By the time Audric made it back to the tavern, his purse was several coins lighter.  He hadn't learned much, but his eyes and ears promised to notify him should anything change.  He kept most of them well-paid -- tavern-keepers and bar-wenches aside, his money had to go towards something, after all -- and so he trusted them to notify him.  No one liked to lose business or an easy goldpiece.

The Duke was busy -- and, this time, Audric respected his privacy -- so he left his whereabouts with the staff before departing for the Blue Goose to check on the well-being of their guest.  He entered the establishment and paused inside the door to survey the scene.

It was dinner time, and the usual suspects were already present -- along with the heavenly scent of roasting meat and potatoes.  He simply breathed it in a moment, his stomach reminding him pointedly that his snack had been interrupted earlier.  The owner -- a rotund, bubbly woman old enough to be Audric's mother -- bustled by.  "Mutton stew tonight, Audric.  Will you be wanting a bowl?"

"How could I refuse?" Audric returned with a chuckle, following in her wake towards the bar.  He shot her a roguish grin, obviously slipping into the usual banter.  "You know how much I love your cooking.  If you weren't married..."

The woman threw her head back and laughed loudly.  "You shameless flirt!  I did tell you to marry my niece, didn't I?"

Audric accepted the tankard of ale she pushed over the counter at him smugly, playing up his banter for the men laughing beside him at the bar.  "But I've had her cooking, and it isn't half as good as your's, Rosie.  What's your secret?"

Rosie snorted indignantly and snapped a towel out, then over her shoulder as she stormed away.  "I don't let myself become distracted by good-for-nothing soldiers!"  Audric laughed alongside his men for a moment, then clapped one on a shoulder and left the soldiers to find Minala.  It didn't take him long.

"You look like you're having a good night," he said, pulling out a chair to sit across from her.  "Have you eaten?"

Ycharley

Minala laughed while shaking her head no. She hadn't eaten, she had been too busy. Now that she was thinking about it though, she was getting hungry and it did smell excellent in the tavern. She finished off the ale she had, finishing off her fifth tankard of ale.

"No, I've been too busy cleaning out your soldiers spare change. If this is how they act tomorrow in drills I'll will be able to beat them blind folded," She bragged with a full bellied laugh. Minala's eyes smiled, something completely different then earlier.

Minala leaned back in her chair, seeming completely relaxed. She stretched, her joints popping as she laughed, just thinking about all the coin she had just won. "I though you said your men were good at poker, you'd thank they had never seen a women they way they acted," Minala leaned forward slapping Audric's shoulder. "They need to get out and get them some, there are plenty of tavern girls here," She said leaning back again with a smile.

Ivory

"Then they'll deserve it," Audric answered agreeably, sipping at his own drink, by comparison.  After all, he had to be able to walk if the Duke summoned him!  He didn't mind poking the Duke a little bit here and there...but he generally didn't make himself into an ass.

At least, he didn't think so.  Calent might have his own opinions.

Rosie appeared to set the bowl of stew in front of Audric, her grin becoming somewhat predatory when she noticed the company he was keeping.  "Audric Molneux, is that a girl you're sitting with?  I never thought I'd see the day!"

"But it isn't her stew I'm eating, is it, Rosie?" he asked with an ear-to-ear grin, continuing their conversation from the bar.  Rosie rolled her eyes, as if that meant nothing at all, although she was, obviously, pleased with his continued compliments.  "This is Minala.  Minala, this is Rosie.  She and her husband own the Blue Goose."

"It's a pleasure," Rosie said with a friendly greeting.  "Now," she went on pleasantly to Minala, heedless of Audric's over-dramatic groans and protests.  "You keep him honest, and don't you let him even think of kissing you until he's put a ring on your finger."  Her she looked meaningfully at Audric.  "And don't you tell me you can't afford it, Audric!"

"Rosie!" Audric groaned good-naturedly, obviously accustomed to this treatment.  "I apologize for Rosie.  She thinks the world wouldn't know happiness without her guidance!"

Rosie chortled merrily.  "You're damned right they wouldn't!  Now, eat your stew.  You look like you'd disappear behind a post you're so skinny!"

Ycharley

Minala nodded, she enjoyed taking down guys. Most men underestimated and figured she would be easy to take down, that she would be slow, timid and hit as they call it 'like a girl', but they were always surprised, she could fight with the best of them.

Minala looked at the women, smiling up at her. Then she looked at the bowl in front of Audric, her stomach growling at the sight of it. Plus it smelt like heaven. It had been a long time sense she had had half decent food.

"Nice to meet you Rosie," Minala said looking back up at the cook of the divinly smelling food. "I wouldn't even think about it," Minala played along with the women, laughing as she did.

"Rosie would you mind bringing me a bowl as well, I'm absolutely starving," She asked flashing Rosie a big smile, her eyes lit up. She was having fun, this was nice.

Ivory

"I'll bring it right out!" the woman promised with a cheerful laugh.

Once she had gone, Audric glanced after her with an amused grin.  "Rosie's kind of taken it upon herself to look after us.  Her only child died in a battle, and so she's adopted the rest of us."  His expression had grown more somber as he spoke.  "She's like any other mother, I suppose."  Laughing, he added, "And not as bad as my sister at that."

If his sister invited him to one more dinner party to meet Miss So-And-So...

"But she'll take care of you while you're here.  If you need anything, just ask her, and she'll either find it for you or give you an idea of where to start looking."

Ycharley

Minala nodded a 'thank you' to the woman she she watched her turn and leave for the kitchen. She seemed like a pretty nice lady.

"She seems like a nice and caring woman," Minala replied to Audric, looking up at him. The mention of Rosie's son was mentioned she started to think of all the people she had seen die. Fellow soldiers she had held as they drew there last breath, people who had met there end at the end of her blades. The quantity was pretty numbing.

Minala quickly pulled her mind from that though, she was here to have fun, party and drink, not think of the men she had killed. "I'll keep that in mind if there is ever anything I need while I'm here, lets just hope I don't have to be here this long. Lets hope we figure out and end this plot," She spoke cheerfully with a nod.