Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Down with the Old

Started by wolfie, January 13, 2013, 09:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfie

Ewara heard the question and knew she had walked into that one. She didn't like giving more information than she had to. The more the mystery the better sometimes. She didn't completely know him so that didn't help either.

"I was mostly outdoors and able to do any chore while in the desert. Sand everywhere made it hard to keep things clean, but not much to the clothing so not much to clean I guess. I had to watch the youth around me. We often played out in the open," she said showing how much was free. She hadn't been truly free though. She had been made to be a pick pocket after showing her skill at it. Sure sometimes when the crowds were easy she was made to watch the children. She didn't want another place where she felt trapped.

"That does sound more my style. I don't know if I'd be moving on though. I like it here and the people seem nice enough," she said thinking of him and Rosie just then. She didn't know anyone else. She had been drawn to this place for a reason, and she thought she had just begun to uncover it. Someone had to know exactly what had happened to her sibling.

"Oh good another male acting like a woman," she said teasing again. Ewara wasn't sure if she had gone too far with this one. She had a feeling she might have to apologize for it soon enough, but she wasn't going to start just yet.

"I would like to see more of this place. I can always come back and talk to Rosie maybe she'll tell me a few stories about you that you wouldn't tell me," she said watching him for a response. She wanted to tell Rosie good-bye for now. She hoped the woman would reappear before they left.

Ivory

"Then it does sound like it will be a big adjustment," Audric said kindly.  "I'll help you out where I can.  Unfortunately, if you don't work there every day, you won't be given a room and food for free."  He scratched his head.  "If you only want to work a few days or just mornings or something, I could talk to my sisters to see if they have a spare room for you."  They weren't completely without options!

Audric made a face at her.  "Hey now!  Here I am, trying to be the gallant knight rescuing the damsel in distress, and you keep laughing at me.  It's demoralizing!"  He was only kidding, of course; his protest was accompanied by a laugh.

Rosie appeared suddenly with a bright smile.  "All done?"  she asked, her smile turning to a slight frown when she noticed Ewara's plate.  "No wonder you're so skinny, girl!  We'll have to do something about fattening you up!"  Far from offended, she seemed concerned about the amount of food left on the plate.

"Rosie, you've been serving starving soldiers too long!"  Audric laughed.  "You can't expect anyone else to eat half as much as we eat!"  He was digging out coin as he spoke to pay for his own meal.

wolfie

"I appreciate that I'll take any help I can get. I'd be willing to pay for any room that they might provide it might not be much at first until I get paid. If they won't accept that then maybe I can help with their shipping business to pay for the room," she said glad there were options. She didn't want to live in the palace, but with his sisters that would provide more freedom. She wondered what it would be like with his sisters.

"Laughter is the best medicine no matter what. Besides I don't tease just anyone," she said smiling. She knew he was only kidding, but it might be a matter of time before the seriousness came out. If he ever caught her she might see the serious side to him. Rosie came back to check on them.

"Sorry I'm not used to so much food. We don't have much in the desert but we survive. Perhaps in time I'll get used to this place and all its customs," she said glad she was here. It was a fresh start for her if she could help it. It also held the answers she had needed not all of them though. She hoped to find her missing sibling.

She noted that he was paying for his meal. She wondered if Rosie would allow for it. The drinks hadn't been included in what Rosie said and she figured that must be why he was paying. She didn't say anything though figuring Rosie would stop him if she wanted to.

"I can imagine she'd like to learn to expect more than soldiers after all I did see how you eat," she said teasing him again. She couldn't help it it just came out like it was second nature.

Ivory

Once the meal was paid for, Audric rose to go.  "Rosie likes to think she's the only one feeding any of us soldiers," he said with a broad grin.  "She's pretty close.  She's the only one feeding us anything decent, so we have to eat her food while we still can."  He patted his belly, quite satisfied indeed!

"Now, do you want to go to the palace first then?  My sister would kill me if I show up looking like a street bum."  He frowned inwardly.  She really would, too; she took her position very seriously, and she thought Audric should take his more seriously!

Rosie waited until Ewara was standing, and then she smothered her in a motherly hug.  "It was good to meet you, my dear.  You're welcome back here any time."

wolfie

"Quite a compliment I'm hearing then for Rosie," she said with a smile. He seemed happy coming to this place and she could see why. It was great dining along with great company. Who wouldn't want that?

"Well I don't want your sister killing you. To the palace first I'll be able to see where I'm working some of the time," she said not sure how this arrangement was going to work. She wasn't one for cleaning things. Now if someone wanted her to sew up something that would be different.

She stood and then was engulfed in a hug. She put her arms around Rosie hugging back. She wasn't used to this, but she knew it was good to do the same. She needed to learn other customs if she was going to survive in this place.

"You can count on my return. It's been a pleasure meeting you, Rosie. Don't worry I'm sure next time you can try to fatten me up more," she said teasing the woman a little. She figured it couldn't hurt. She was ready to see more of this place more of where she was born. She also needed to start mapping this place in her head. She would need good exit strategies if she was to resume her pick pocketing skills here.

Ivory

"I look forward to it, honey," Rosie agreed with a laugh, finally releasing the girl.

She gave them a friendly wave as the pair made for the door, Audric in the lead.  Once again, he held open the door for her.

They passed into the city with Audric acting as tour guide.  He gave her a brief overview of the city districts -- the districts she was advised to avoid, the wealthier districts, and the warehouse district -- as they walked.

At the palace gates, Audric was met with a friendly wave and Ewara with a curious look -- but, although the guards looked surprised to find Audric with a woman, they didn't question her.

Stepping through the grand courtyard, Audric made his way inside.  It didn't take long to track down the head housekeeper.  "Alice, this is Ewara.  She's going to be helping out here a bit with laundry and sewing."  The woman protested that she had not hired the girl, but Audric quelled her words with a few murmured words in her ear.  "Alice will show you around and find you a uniform," Audric said confidently.  "I've got to go change out of these rags myself.  When you're done, you'll find me at the barracks, more than likely."

(OOC: Hope you don't mind that I fast-forwarded!  Feel free to do the same!)

wolfie

Ewara was glad she had a friend in this place now. She seemed to have to although she would never admit Audric as a friend. He held open the door for her and showed her around. She listened when he talked of places not to go and the wealthy places and such. It was vital information she would need.

She wasn't sure what to do at the gates. She just followed Audric figuring that he wouldn't let anyone stop them. She was glad nobody made any fuss over her being there. She was eventually introduced to a woman named Alice. Alice looked like she wanted nothing to do with her. She couldn't blame the woman for this.

Within minutes of Audric being gone Alice showed her the area quickly and then got her the uniform she would need for daily work. She kept them but didn't change into them. It seemed she wouldn't be working just yet, and had a feeling she would look silly putting them on now.

When Alice went straight back to work, Ewara figured she was dismissed and left to find the barricks. It wasn't hard and soon enough she was there. She stood outside of them not sure she was allowed to go in. She waited figuring Audric would show up sooner or later.

(OOC: Don't mind at all. ;))

Ivory

One of the guards -- an older man with the rank of sergeant on his arm -- paused outside the door.  The two guards who were in tow -- much younger and looking rather sheepish -- nearly ran into him he stopped so suddenly!  He shot them each a nasty glare, then stepped back.  Although he spoke in a low voice, his tone easily carried across the small yard.  "Get your good-for-nothing asses inside and get those boots polished.  If they aren't shining by the time I come in, there will be hell to pay."

As the men scurried away, the sergeant approached Ewara.  "Can I help you, miss?"  Although his tone was still gruff, his expression had become almost pleasant.  In spite of his advancing age -- he was probably somewhere in his late 30's or early 40's -- he looked tough enough to have earned his sergeant's rank.

wolfie

Ewara was waiting not sure where to go. She was at the barracks not sure she should go inside. Men lived there, and she was raised to stay away from a man's living place. It was a dangerous thing. She heard the ruckus happening in the doorway of the barracks. It wasn't long before she was approached by the man doing the shouting.

"I'm waiting for Audric he is suppose to meet me here," she said kinda shy like. He was a bit gruff but pleasant enough. She blushed a little wondering if this was a mistake. She thought of just getting to work and letting him find her a little later. Alice hadn't said anything about her working today though. She figured she would start in the morning tomorrow.

She wasn't sure what else to say to this man. He hadn't asked for an introduction or anything. She figured in asking if he could help her he was just doing his job. She had a bad feeling they would cross paths in the future.

Ivory

The man's face crinkled into a weathered grin.  And was that a twinkle in his eye?  "I'll get him for you, miss.  You can take a seat on that bench over there out of the sun."  He gestured over to a worn bench beneath the limbs of an oak, then made his way inside.

Audric emerged a minute later, looking both cleaner and somehow more at home.  He wore the uniform of the guard now, and he wore it well.  Compared to the tattered outfit he had been wearing earlier, this uniform was neatly pressed with nary a wrinkle nor stain.  In addition to the light armor he now wore, a sword and dagger hung openly at his hip.

"That didn't take too long," he commented with a broad grin on spotting Ewara.  "You've saved me from some paperwork.  I've already stuck my sergeant with it, so we can take our time."

wolfie

Ewara only nodded and then went to sit down as he went back inside. She was trying to relax, but didn't know how to do that exactly. This place was wonderful. She just couldn't let her guard down though. That was something she had been taught to be dangerous.

It wasn't long before Audric came out. She noticed his uniform and wondered if she was insane. Her thoughts had him looking dashing just then. She wouldn't dare say that to him though his head needed to fit through doorways.

"Glad I could save you. Your sergeant? You mean you stuck that nice guy who came to get you for me with paperwork? I see how you are," she said teasing him some. She was sure if the sergeant wanted out he would just have someone a little lower than him complete it. She had a feeling that's how it worked here too.

"We can take our time? Is that your way of saying you like my company and desire more of it?" She asked waiting to see how he answered this one. It was a loaded question. No matter what his answer was she could use it to get on his sister's good side, if she had one.

Ivory

"That's the way of the army," he answered, palms out with a laugh.  "Delegate down.  Anyway, Curio's happy to do it.  He'll just complain about the way I did it later, so this saves him some time."  Besides, if she knew what Curio had said when fetching him, she might very well feel differently about the "nice guy."

Audric's grin was immediate in response to her words.  "Why, of course, dear lady!  If you'll have me, that is."  He held out an arm for her to take, unsure if she would take it or attempt to throttle him.

"Do you ride?" he asked curiously.  "My sisters both live on the other side of town.  Though we could also walk, of course."

wolfie

"Oh well if he doesn't mind then that works," she said wondering why he was laughing. Something seemed amiss. She smiled hearing how Curio seemed better at the paperwork than Audric.

"Well maybe if you did more of it you might improve," she said teasing him a little. She didn't seem to tire of teasing him. She heard what he said and saw the arm offered her. She took it hoping he didn't get too big a head about it. She was raised not to offend others, and had a feeling here that might do just that.

"I suppose you'll do. Ride what?" She said having not ridden anything before. She hadn't done a ton of travelling in her youth. She would have preferred to walk, but she wasn't sure if that would be good enough for him. She was willing to try anything once in this case.

Ivory

Audric blinked at her, looking, in truth, entirely surprised.  "A horse," he answered, then laughed sheepishly.  "Well, I suppose that answers that.  As I said, we can walk, though it will take a little longer."  He often forgot that not everyone had access to luxuries like horses.  It was something he took for granted, it seemed!

He held out his free hand to her with a smile.  "Would you like me to carry your package?  My sister will kill me if I let you carry it all the way across town."  His parents had always emphasized to their children how a proper gentleman should behave, and, having the luxury of growing up in the palace, the lessons had become second nature to Audric long before the young man had gone to war.

"Is there anything else you think you'll be needing?  I can show you the shops and vendors."

wolfie

Ewara was curious more about horses. She wanted to see and experience what went along with this. She figured she would have time later to learn more about what they were and what their uses were other than riding.

"Well I suppose that means you'll just have to endure my company a little longer. Well if you insist," she said handing her package over. She wouldn't say no to someone wanting to carry her stuff. He was nicer than she thought she would have met. It made her wonder if there were more like him here.

"Not that I can think of right now," she answered worried about how she would afford it. She was poorer than dirt. One thing she didn't want to be seen as was someone who totally depended on the kindness of strangers. She didn't want anyone thinking she couldn't pull her own weight or was taking advantage of this situation.

"What are your sister's like?"

Ivory

Audric nodded slightly, accepting her words as truth.  He would, however, have been happy to lend her the money she needed!

"They're both younger than I am," he began as they walked.  "Relena's the oldest.  She can be kind of..."  How to put this kindly?  "Boring."  It seemed a neutral-enough word!  "Lena's a good person, but it seems that business and accounts are all she ever thinks about!  She has two sons.  I think she wanted a daughter to pass her share of the business onto, but that can't be helped.  Her husband was killed just before her youngest was born, so unless she remarries, the entire business will go to our niece.  My younger sister, Susannah, is a bit wild.  Smart as a whip, but she never seems to stop moving.  It's a good thing too.  She already has two little ones, and there's a third on the way."

There was a fondness in his voice as he spoke of his sisters and their families.  He loved them dearly, and he was glad he could be near them now to watch the kids grow.  And some of them were growing like weeds!

"I was thinking we'd go around to Lena's first.  She's not home very much, and the boys are a bit older so the nanny has them out most of the day.  You probably won't be able to hear yourself think if you stay with Suse!"  He chuckled.

wolfie

(OOC: Sorry lost this in the mix. Just found it again.)

She listened as Audric talked about his family. She heard the fondness and wished she had that herself. Unfortunately she had no family except those she left. She wondered what they were up to just then, and knew exactly where they would be. Life for them as the same day in and day out. It was part of why she left she was looking for something new.

"There are worse things your sister could be interested in," she said having seen things in the dessert. She wasn't about to give any examples though. He didn't need to know what she knew or anything like that. She wasn't the sharing type especially when it came to certain things like knowing how to be a pick pocket.

"Thinking is over rated," she said teasing a little. She was glad she had an option where she would be able to plan things out. That of course needed thought. She had much to learn still about this place though. She would need to walk around see the places she could hide from his men. She knew this wouldn't be easy especially since she was befriending someone who could and maybe would arrest her if he ever caught her.

"It must be nice having family like that. Someone to protect them like a big brother," she said not realizing she had voiced her thoughts just then.