Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

I'm Bigger. I Win. (OPEEENN!!)

Started by Brisinger987, May 13, 2013, 11:56:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brisinger987

The fog was dark, when it began to shift, and thin, to reveal the tremendous creature that had been resurrected. It had the shape of a dragon but was undead. Easy enough to defeat, but terribly power consuming as a construct. The ground had begun to wither and die. He knew his enemy was a summoner. Using necromancy and dark magic. A less than wonderful combination in Veraxitoc's eyes.

Veraxitoc saw the flame and let out a single blast of blue fire, the heat blasting away a tunnel of fog around it. It met the green flame, and they snuffed each other. "Ash'elin, get out of the way, find cover!" He beat his wings and took a glide to the construct, talons extended, ready to grapple with the skeletal dragon.

Aetius

Despite living over a hundred years, this had been the first time Ash'elin would bear witness to dark magic of this power.  True nature housed such negative energies, but when manipulated by a conjurer it created abominations like the one that would rise up from the earth.  Ash'elin's eyes widened in true fear as the rotting dragon tore out of the earth; any other creature would feel fear just from the sight but the fae was able to feel the dark energies pulsing through this tainted place as each vibration sent a chill in her body.  Right before the two dragons would clash with breaths of fire Ash'elin would catch the figure of the being responsible for all this chaos.  However due to the flames that would erupt Ash'elin found herself leaping away from Veraxitoc as the battlefield suddenly became even more densely fogged making Ash'elin lose track of the necromancer.

She never wished to experience such negative energy again, but to do that she would have to remove the being that caused such imbalance upon the earth.  Slamming her hand to the floor she would lift up the earth into a pillar of rock like she did in the past.  She rose up cutting herself out of the fog as she looked around for any sign of the necromancer.  She still failed to find the enemy even from this elevated height.

"Veraxitoc, blow this fog away with your wings so that I may find the sorcerer!"  Ash'elin shouted, feeling the source of this dark energy still within this thick fog.  She stood at the ready, knowing anything could attack her including the dragon.

Nemo

The green and blue flames met in the middle, creating a thunderous boom, an explosion of sound and energy as rock-melting heat met soul-chilling frost, making sparks that poured over the dead grass and light that filled the clearing from edge to edge. And through this, the smog of the dark magic induced mist turned everything into a blinding halo. Poe shielded her eyes from this, but the eyeless dragon did not - he was fixated on the other dragon... He'd been challenged... He'd been offended! And as he bounded over the ash encrusted ground to the living dragon, he let out another pain-soaked roar of fury!

The two great monsters, one alive, one undead, met in the middle like a crashing ocean, the first's talons scoring deep into the dead dragon's stony hide while the dead dragon put the position to grand effect, lashing at Veraxitoc with talons and fangs, trying to get at the ancient dragon's softer underbelly. This wasn't a zombie exactly... It was a ghoul. Terrible hunger gripped it... And malign intelligence filled its hateful eyes!

But the necromancer was most concerned with the girl that rose high into the air on a pillar of stone! Poe grinned malevolently, and muttered a soft incantation, black energy gathering on he fingertips... Before she jutted two fingers out in her direction, a beam of dark energy lancing from the fog directly at the girl, hissing and screaming through the air with a sound like a swarm of angry bees on fire!

Brisinger987

The undead dragon scored many wounds, but soon Veraxitoc had it by the throat. He had no idea how effective it would be, but then he heard Ash'elin's request. That request was one of  mutual advantage. The movement of Veraxitoc wings as he complied began to tug at the undead constructs throat. And the undead dragon would hopefully be defeated at this rate. He blew fire into it's neck, and clawed at it. The creature was as solid as a rock. No, it was rock. And that was irritating. But all dark magic and necromantic constructs disintegrated if their master died. And now Veraxitoc started developing his plan.

That was, before the beam of dark energy flew from the master's fingertips. The fog was beginning to clear. He saw the creature and bolt's energy. Abd the bolt's target. "Ash'elin, watch out!" Veraxitoc took his jaws away from the undead dragon briefly. Which was a big mistake.

Aetius

Ash'elin's eyes darted trying to find the Necromancer through the mist and pulsations of dark energy.  It was straining to be at this site, her skin felt like it was being grazed by needles.  Fae felt the magical pressures of the world at a much more sensitive level, and this first encounter with dark energy was nauseating to her senses.  Still, she tried to keep her head straight despite all these feelings and to eliminate the source of this destructive magic.  By this point she feared even touching the corrupted floor as she saw the devastation that this magic had caused.  There was a sudden rise in the dark magic and from the mist shot a large black bolt of magic coming at her like a javelin.  She tried to leap away from the magic, but was too late as the bolt surged into her hip.

The essence of the magic infused into her body; her nerves went stiff as she fell to the floor incapable of moving more than a few painful spasms.  Ash'elin slammed into the floor from her tower, the dark magic was surging through her body creating black marks throughout her fair skin.  Strength was sapped and her breath was slowed down.  The small girl's body curled as it trembled and spasmed, the arm that she landed on was burning in pain-had she broken it?

Ash'elin's eyes were sunken and dim as she used her functioning arm to try and heal herself.  Suddenly the dark marks that plagued her body seemed to flare up as she tried to use her magic; like a leech it would burn the magic before it could be released.  In the midst of this pain the realization that her magic was taken seemed to cause the greatest pain to her soul.  A fae without their magic was a waste of immortality; an eternal hell on earth.

However at this moment she wondered if she would ever live past this battle.  For the first time she experienced her life with all the fears of death that mortals inevitably felt.  If she closed her eyes would she never awaken?  Would she die in this foreign land, never to see her forest again.  With all her might she wanted to stay awake, but the burning pain was too great to bear. 

"B..but, I don't want to die..."

Her eyes slowly went shut as she fell unconscious, scarred with black patterns from dark magic that infested her body.

Nemo

((By arrangement, the next hits will be automatic. Plot devices! Hoooooo!))

The ghoul-dragon tore into the living dragon, it clawed and gouged like a cornered demon, but it didn't stand much of a chance against the genuine article - it was the work of moments for the great ancient elder to have it by the throat. The abomination flamed and screamed as it was pulled at, as it was flamed, making the stone around the bones run like water in the blue heat of the dragonfire! It was so close to being destroyed - inches from destruction in fact! The wyrm had the capacity to sever its neck and shoulders... but it was not meant to be.

The elder tore his grip away from the undead dragon's throat and... looked away. The hateful being in his grasp could not have asked for a better opportunity - and he took it, sinking all its forelimbs claws right into the elder's chest, between his ribs - the best grip he could hope for - and flamed. The damaged being could only manage one last such attack before collapsing into rubble and dust again... but it gave the living dragon everything it had, pouring all its hate, all its envy, all its bile and vicious anger into it.

The result was... catastrophic. Scales on the dragon's body blackened and fell away into ash, black spiderwebs of corruption lanced into and through the great dragon's body. As the ghoul crumbled, its claws stuck in the great dragon's breast, it left the great beast cursed and plagued, diseased with great wounds in his chest and body...

...but the undead dragon's wrath would not kill him. Oh no. The hateful thing was too twisted to kill Veraxitoc. It wanted him to live... and suffer.

As for the girl... the dark-robed figure of the necromancer strode from the fog... and gently pressed her foot onto the young fey, nudging her onto her back, where her foot planted on the cursed creature's hip, right where it would hurt most, right where her terrible spell had struck. A fey's blood... a fey's essence. Oh dear, Poe could do so much with that. She started to mutter the spell to finish the girl, to steal the last of her life force for herself, to bind her very essence...

... and stopped, mid-incantation. The fog had rolled in, and... shapes were visible in it, screaming, visible to all, but audible only to her. There was a tenuous moment then, as the black bones of the necromancer's hand remained pointed at her, the summoner's manic yellow toothed grin frozen... and then the grin faded considerably into a little smirk, her arm dropping. If the girl was still conscious, she'd have seen the glint of golden yellow flames in those pinprick eyes, soaked in madness and steeped and villainy. Something... else was in that mad gaze... something horrible, worse than all the events so far combined.

Something... greater than the lust for power and the glee in sadistic pleasure. Something that could overrule... even madness.

Faith.

Whatever her reasons, the necromancer removed her foot from the young fey's wound... and turned away into the fog which rolled in again. She strode into it...

And then she was gone, leaving the two cursed and blighted, and the land where they'd fought in shambles. The fog melted away in moments.

Brisinger987

((Do a character thingy for Poe please, I'd like to know more about her?))

Veraxitoc felt the curse pouring into his veins. And his whole body felt like it was burning to nothing. The black magic construct had cursed him and now he was angry. Coupled with this illness, he wanted to die. He felt all the negatives amplify, and then he remembered Ash'elin. She had been hit by that bolt, and most likely cursed too! He tried to think of a way to help her. How was it that some of the dragons he had fought had withstood so much? The solution was not clear.

He thought of Ash'elin, an innocent fae who he had dragged into this. It was his job to put right any damage. She was there, on her pillar of stone, injured and suffering. Veraxitoc wanted to take the pain in her place, but didn't remember how. He had a duty to care for her. He tried to cast a simple healing spell. Draconic magic was slightly different from most magics in that it was powered by a dragon's immortal soul. But his magic was gone. If his magic was gone, Ash'elin's would be too. How did he help here though. He thought about what all great and damage resistant dragons had in common. Magic was out of the question, but what else did they share? Maratoc had a rider. Nerosse did too. They all had riders.

He had always objected to having a rider. But if this bond was the way to protect and help Ash'elin, his moral obligation was to do it. Summoning his voice over the strain of his agony, he called out. "Ash'elin, I can help relieve some of the pain, but you must trust me for it. What I will do is bond us as rider and dragon. I will be able to take your pain for you. But I need your consent! Will you do it?" The bond was simple to initiate, but difficult to remove. He knew it could be done, but not of how. He would find out soon enough, as he knew that Connlaothian Mordecai's kept a record of dragon rider information, and how to unbond dragon and rider. He would visit Ornusjalil while in Connlaoth, as he knew she had slept there. But first was to solve this issue.

Aetius

The nightmarish sleep Ash'elin held seemed to last as long as death itself.  Her eyes fluttered open slowly as even the dim sky agitated her sensitive body.  As she regained consciousness the costs of heroics would return to her; Ash'elin's teeth clenched tight as she felt as if her blood was boiling from within.  The pain was still actively present, from the physical wounds and more importantly from the curse that now tainted her body.  Silent and still laying on the floor she would wave her working hand over the barren dirt and like before it failed to respond to her manipulation.  It was true, her magic was gone-possibly all of it.  The loss of her magic was something that hurt more than any damaged arm could ever cause, she despaired in her heart and did not wish to even try and move from this spot. 

Her feelings were empty of joy as she heard her dragon companion call out to her.  It seemed they both survived becoming another soul for a necromancer's collection, but left in a cursed state where life no longer seemed worth living. 

She was conscious enough at this point to hear the offer Veraxitoc gave.  Even now when at his weakest he was more concerned about her well being than his own.  She wondered if this is the self-sacrifice that came from being a guardian; after all she did not fight this battle out of concern for its people.  She fought because her friend felt this town of humans was important and so she was willing to help protect what was precious to him.

She pushed off her body and found the energy to sit herself on her back.  Her face was now forced to look at the dragon, both of them drained, injured, and blighted by dark magic.  Her face was marked with black splotches that stained her skin, these marks covered the rest of her body thoroughly as the dark magic festered in her.  At this point she regretted having turned around, she could not bear to be seen so pathetically weak; with tears streaming down she'd shake her head no.  In the strongest voice she could muster she said choking back tears.

"No Veraxitoc, you have a kind heart-fitting for a guardian.  However if I survive these wounds then what pain remains is solely my punishment to bear.  A testament to my own worthlessness."

It pained her to admit this, her kind always gave self-praise for being ever-living and immortals, but they were not immortals as this event had now proven.  Fae died like all the rest, and those who lived longer did so by never leaving their forest homes.  The smart ones stayed away from the outside world, for all of its dangers could kill these false immortals.  Iron was common place, mortal magics superior in their lethality.  Strangely enough she might of figured out something only the most pragmatic person would realize.  The Fae did not keep out of mortal society out of superiority, but because they were not built to live outside of nature.  Naivety made them the fool to other's plans, weakness to iron made them slaves to all mortals, and their immortality made the Fae fearful of ever venturing out of their safe haven lest they lose this gift that belonged solely to their race and the gods.

At this realization Ash'elin felt sicker than ever, all pride in her people felt severed as she rolled herself again so that she laid face to the ground.  At this point she could no longer control herself as she openly cried at these turn of events.  Blighted and her spirits crushed what purpose did her continued existence bring?

Nemo

The town was in an uproar - alarms, normally reserved for dragon attacks, were sounding, blaring into the night as the ground seemed to steam faintly, the taint of necrotic magic screaming into the abyss of the nighttime air, proclaiming the crimes of the night to moon and star. The dragon's town had been protected - their deeds that night were seen, and even now people rushed into the night, coming with lanterns and torches to see what had happened. Warriors and peasants, priests and farmers, all came... And witnessed what had been done.

They regarded the great dragon guardedly... And moved to the girl as she wept on the ground, broken and locked in despair. An elderly woman - a priestess in white robes, knealt in the blackened earth and scooped up the young fey in her arms, paling at the state of her body. Others - another priest and several (most of the town's supply of) guards approached the wounded, accursed dragon with caution and dread.

What ha been done had been witnessed - they knew their guardian. But did he know them?

"What has been done to you, child?" The old priestess asked the tiny figure in her arms, eyes wide with horror at the scope of the terrible magic that soaked her body to the bone, that sustained her even as it fed upon her. "Oh, child..."

The men with halberds and armor approached the dragon with ultimate distrust... But the priest, a man in his forties, was not so cautious, and approached Veraxitoc openly, eyes big as saucers and body shaking as he said "You fought to save us, didn't you?" He asked, fear and awe in his voice. "A voice told me in my head of what you've done as I slept - Noble dragon, what may we do?" He asked. The guards gritted their teeth, exchanging glances. They could not believe any of this!

"How may we help you, and the fey?"

==============

This was another place, hundreds of miles away, but a breath apart. For an extradimensional demiplane, one might have thought whoever made it would have made it seem more... Magical, more unreal, but for all the world, the place looked like nothing more extraordinary than... Someone's living room. In fact, that was what it was.

Bookcases lined most walls, and in front of a fireplace was several chairs. The fire crackled... But all the chairs were empty. In one corner, there was a desk, and that was sprawled with books, scrolls, and vials in racks, but in the center, in front of the person who sat behind that desk, who presumably owned it, was a crystal ball.

In it was displayed the face of an elven maiden with silver hair and glowing skin.

"What then?" She asked, her face suffused with concern. The figure behind the crystal ball sat back and pinched the bridge of her nose.

"I don't know." She said flatly. "I really don't, Ornusjalil, she just showed up out of nowhere, walks into the thunderblacks as bold as you like, and..." She faltered, and sighed shakily.

"Gods, what can we do?" The shadowy figure continued. "Who can plan for that sort of thing?" She finished, half to herself. "Do you remember anything? About her? About the cult? Anything at all?"

Ornusjalil looked crestfallen. "No... I just felt the magic... She's hunting for the tomb of dragons, I bet my life on it." From a dragon, that was no idle phrase. It made the woman peering into the crystal ball look up. "I shudder to think what she wants it for..."

"... I wish this really had been a dream. Thank you for confirming it for me though..." She said, and sighed.

"Dyan... We need to stop her. I know you're busy with other things... But think of the death this could bring... I hate Adela, but it doesn't deserve... This." The Silver Lady soothed. Her voice was ever smoothe and calming, but there was an edge to it.

Dyan nodded. "I think... I think I can do something for your old nemesis and the girl..."

The elfmaid looked surprised, eyes big! "But... That's--!"

"Necromantic blight. I know..." The woman responded, peering again into the crystal ball. It was apparent she hadn't been getting much sleep. "I'll telepo--" she began, but Ornusjalil cut her off with a stern glare.

"No, you won't. You're just like your great grandmother, you tamper with dark magic and poke an prod... And I don't approve, but even if you really can help them, Dyan, I will fetch them personally... The spell wards and wild magic there will stop you from teleporting in." She said, her tone cold and level.

"I will retrieve them myself, and bring them to you." She said, the vision fading in Dyan's crystal ball.

"Make preparations, girl." And the ball went dark. Dyan was left in the flickering light of the fire in her living room, startled by the ancient dragoness's stern words. But there was no question of her obedience. She stood.

===============

The pond Ornusjalil, the Silver Lady had used to communicate with her late friend's great granddaughter stayed dark for some time as the old dragoness sat there, kneeling and shaking. Magic. That had been the start of her problems, and would it now be the finish too? Could she really trust the girl to do the right thing? And how would Veraxitoc react to his old great enemy riding into his lands, fit as a fiddle and bold as brass, while he was crippled and weak?

The war was still so vivid in her mind... How many times they had fought, how much they'd both lost, how much bad blood there had been... And he was going to have to trust... her? bloody hell this was a mess. But... Could she live in a world where necromancy corrupted everything, where undead dragons terrorized, or worse?

She stood. No. She could not.

The elfmaid took a running start at the precipice of a great valley and leapt into the gorge, but she never struck the water and rocks below - silver wings carried an old creature into the night sky, roaring wind describing her wide, sweeping arc as she made her way to the ancient adelan south, towards the mountains she'd clashed over many years ago - the Thunderblacks.

Brisinger987

The priest had been a gentle soul. But a dark poison had taken hold in his mind. He had no self control and all he could do was mentally protest as instinct took over. He got up, growling, and snarling at the guards and townspeople. He roared, but saw the priestess holding Ash'elin. Another long lost instinct took over. He charged the priestess, looking to protect the fae. In a split second he had trampled several townspeople, and reached Ash'elin. In a blind fit of protection, he grabbed Ash'elin in one paw, and then ate the priestess whole, cooking her in bouts of flame as she went down. He turned to the guards running at him. More threats to his prize. Their iron and steel was nothing compared to his flames. Row and file fell before Veraxitoc's primal fury, his breath melting sword, flesh and armour. Horses and men slaughtered in mere seconds. He had proved his power now. The fool of a priest who had approached him, claiming false gods and beings more powerful than dragons. A blasphemer. He strode towards the priest, now in a state of fear. In another swift movement, he bit the priest in half, and roasted the other half. A false prophet.

A minute later they were flying, and swiftly moving around. He needed somewhere to stay. Somewhere that a tyrant dragon could display his trophy. "Ash'elin, are you alive? I can't have a dead trophy." His voice had changed. This curse had corrupted him, and he couldn't think straight. He protested from the corner of his mind that was morally right. He was weak with guilt and remorse. He had killed innocents, those who had families and children. Wives would mourn over this. Children would be orphaned. He had no doubt the priest had heard a voice. But now he had slaughtered the priest and priestess in a rage of so called blasphemy. He was a blasphemer in their gods' eyes. How could he atone for the deaths of these innocents? An honourable death seemed logical. Find the dark sorcerer who had cursed him and fight them until he died of his wounds. Or he could be a coward and sleep for the next few years.

The corrupted half of him saw an abandoned fort and swooped down, utilising the sounds he could make with his talons. He made all manner of terrifying roars and screeches as he dove down, his paw gripping firmly around the fae in his grip. He landed and he cast a spell. He knew not what this spell would do, but then he saw. Wonderfully simple, but bad for him anyway. He had fixed the tower of this fort, and watched as the fae travelled up to her new prison. He had changed the very fundamentals of this mountain. Now the castle collapsed more, an ancient dragon rider fortress, turned into this beasts fortress of death. Leaving the fae in this reconstructed tower, he took off again, placing another small spell on the window, making it amplify sound. The whole mountain range would hear her calling for help.

And he would slaughter all that came to help her. This corruption was ruining him, as a person and his reputation. Maybe he should just become this tyrant for a while. Everyone remembered tyrants. No one remembered him as a guardian. Veraxitoc the terrible. It sounded right in his mind, and some of his purity even agreed that he deserved something. He had a clean slate with this era. Why not fill it with ruin and despair? He could start with the Thunderblacks, then he could make Ornusjalil pay. But pay for what? He needed a reason to make her suffer. What had she done to him?

To make a greater effect, as he flew, he blew out red fire and made terrible screeches howl through the valley. None of his kind were left. None that he knew. They wouldn't hear the calls.

Aetius

The commotion of the town would be clear in Ash'elin's ear; sorrow was the emotion most expressed as she heard the muttering of these townsfolk as they came to the scene of the battle.  None of this would phase her, and even when she felt a pair of wrinkled old arms cradle her she could not find solace.  Ash'elin wasn't sure what would happen next, the town seemed frightened but willing to help them.  Her sunken eyes focused upon the face of the old woman, here was the face of someone who was under the control of time-with a finite lifetime and responsibilities as a priestess to these townsfolk.  Their was a friendliness to her wrinkled face and seeing the concern she held would cause Ash'elin to flash a weak smile; feeling for a moment that perhaps life was not yet over even in this moment of total devastation. 

This peace would quickly end though as suddenly Veraxitoc charged to her location trampling guards and farmers alike.  Ash'elin found herself grasped from the motherly priestess and would bear witness as the dragon did the unexpected and cooked the old woman and eating her whole.  Any bit of peace that she was able to gather would die with that death as another clergy was violently devoured and the guards broken into a route.  Why would he do this?  Was she right to suspect that Veraxitoc's claims of honor and protection of the weak were lies?  Witnessing this renewed bloodshed shell shocked the girl; while in the air she'd hear the dragon's claim-his voice more terrifying to match his new persona. 

So she was to become his trophy?  In her lifetime she had heard of the quirks of dragons to capture maidens from older fae from her tribe.  She guessed a fae made the perfect maiden for a dragon to possess; ageless for a long living dragon to always possess like a living ornament.  She would not respond to his open claim of making her a trophy; the thought of all the dead in the town was still too fresh in her mind.  Gathering her strength she forced out with teary eyes,

"You did not have to kill them!  I did not suspect the Veraxitoc I met was actually a monster!"

She knew speaking in such a manner could easily lead to her death, but she did not care-there was deep seated betrayal in this sudden change in Veraxitoc's personality.  If she was to be this brute's decoration then she wanted him to feel her hatred.  Wiping her eyes she tried to hide her face as they flew off deeper into the Thunderblack Mountains.  Her body still was in deep pain and soon the realization that she was to be this monster's prisoner began to seep in.  She panicked as she looked around, there was no escape from the sky and it wasn't as if she had the strength to run even if she could leave his grip.

She became tense as the sound of claws tearing through rock rang in her ears, even in this state her curiosity was peeked as she looked up and saw the creation of a high tower through a mix of magic and dragon's strength.  Ash'elin would be forced into the sole window of the tower, she rolled into the roughly made building scratching her knees and elbows in the landing.  With heavy breathing she finally forced herself up as she crawled to the window and looked out to the endless mountains.  Further away the dragon was using the same abilities to reconstruct a old fortress to better fit his massive body.  She couldn't believe that this was her fate, crippled as the trophy of a dragon. 

She tested out her magic one final time, ordinarily unless the window was enchanted with a barrier she would have easily been able to climb down the tall tower.  However all her magic was inert, even her ability to climb through all surfaces.  The fact that she could have easily escaped this place had she not been blighted seemed to increase her feeling of self-loathing.  She slammed her fist onto rocky bottom of the window as she shouted a cry of fury into the emptiness of the Thunderblacks.  To her surprise her voice would echo beyond what she expected; ringing through the rocky mountains and no doubt being heard from the town and beyond.  Ash'elin covered her mouth with her working hand, embarrassed at having showing off such anger to the outside world.  Immediately after this she would remember that Veraxitoc was out there and no doubt heard her shout.  Her heart skipped as she found the darkest corner of the tower and curled up in fear.  If he wished the dragon could cook her alive in the tower, but still she felt that keeping out of sight would leave her safe from his wrath.

Nemo

The mountain was in terrible torment and the town's bells as Ornusjalil arrived there were in full swing. Most of the populace had been killed... And it did no take the dragoness circlin overhea long at all to work out... Just what happened. She could see the carnage, she could feel the blight... And she knew her ancient rival had lost his mind. This... Used to be his place. This town had been his... What had the necromancer done to him? What did the bitch do to her great enemy!

The ancient dragoness alighted lightly on the ancient field, and spread her wings wide, the four great sky sails spreading high and wide. And then...

It rained.

It came down in buckets, the great silver creature glowing with the simple power of her true abilities. Veraxitoc had spent his time sleeping distant... She'd spent it in the embrace of the land, in the love of the people she protected. Small lives had left an impression on her... And she found now, as raindrops struck the ash blackened earth, the blighted ground, the pain of loss, the terriblesadness... And anger within her breast.

The fires in the town were snuffed. The glassed earth cooled and hardened... And a gurgling form, all that was left of the priest, watched with his one remaining eye as the Silver Lady wept silently, as rain roared around him. He extended mangled hand... And she leaned down to him. He touched over her nose... And she knew it was he she'd warned. Seeing the devastation on his body... The wounded guards rising... The blight washing away in the magical rain...  She wept, and held the man's shattered form in her grasp.

No. The curse did not do this to her ancient enemy, her great rival... No, he did this. The darkness in his heart did this. The cry she heard on the wind was unmistakable.

It was a challenge.

He had claimed this place as his territory. He would ravage this countryside. He would be a great destroyer in the old ways. The sound of his cry didn't fill her with the same despair it soaked into the townsfolk. In her... A levee broke. Something went click, and the old rage pounded in her again. Ornusjalil rose, glaring around her, the temperature plummeting. Her dagger gaze alighted on a surviving guard, and she spoke.

"Where is he." She said, her voice a calm river of liquid fire.

"Where is that bastard... I will make him pay for this." She said. The man blinked, even as Ornusjalil set the priest down, the man frozen, his arms folded peacefully over his chest. The soldier pointed, and the Silver Lady rose, galloping a few steps before rising into the air.

=========

Dyan had left her books and her crystal ball behind. Visions came and went, but she knew what was happening from the moment the twisted dragon had cast that black spell. And she knew much of the ancient friend of her family. There would not be much time before Ornusjalil got to the ruined fort, and with the girl in need of rescue... She couldn't let her face the monster alone.

What a sad state of affairs. She fastened her cloak and her robes, binding a scarf about her arm, then set off. The red-robed wizardess was human only for a few bounding steps before her sleeves pushed back an feathered fiery wings unfurled, carrying her into the night from the village of La'marri. In the thunderlight on the horizon, the glint of her wings was briefly visible before sparks of magic appeared around her, and the young mage was gone.

======

Ornusjalil alighted on a craggy peak not a mile from Veraxitoc's new sinister fort and roared out over the storm that even then was rolling in in her wake, pounding the mountains with freezing rain as she issued her cry of primal challenge. The meaning was clear as it shook the very foundation of the fortress - Ornusjalil was beyond furious... And she wasn't here to talk.

One of them would die tonight. Lightning flashed, revealing Ornusjalil was alive and in top condition... Much more than could be said of Veraxitoc this night. He had always been more adept at magic though... And she at combat, so perhaps the difference wasn't so clear... But in all their long decades as enemies, he would have never, ever seen her... This angry.

Brisinger987

As the poison tormented and ravaged his mind, he saw through his eyes, the silhouette of a great silver dragon, with four wings. Ornusjalil. He saw that ancient hag. He was nearly as old as she was. And now he would kill her. He had killed two riders and dragons, deemed the strongest of their races, in mere minutes. He could kill legions of thunderblacks. No reason he shouldn't kill her. He hated her guts, her wretched sympathy. Her damned self glory. In his head, these accusations were baseless, just a mere excuse to try and kill her. If he died today, he would die content that people would remember this.

He ruffled his scales, and the tips of them tucked in, his scales trapping the water and making him near invisible in the raining night. [colour=purple]"You dare try and take my trophy? My prize? Die, pathetic worm!"[/color] His voice shook the ground as the black magic enhanced his voice. He muttered an otherwise unintelligible spell, and teleported, silently into the sky. In seconds he was behind Ornusjalil, claws going, mouth open, fire in his throat. He latched on to her, biting, pulling, breathing fire and ripping into her form.

Aetius

Curled up in the corner she awaited the moment where a raging inferno would blaze in from the window, ending this enslaved existence before it began.  However after a while she would hear the wing beats of her captor and would lift her head to see what was happening.  She would see that something had gained the attention of the tyrant dragon as she watched him fly away in a horrid temper.  In the distance thick dark clouds were seen in the direction Veraxitoc traveled.  She wondered if the rain would reach her new towered prison as she sat on the edge of the window and passively stared into the mountain range that seemed to go on forever.  There was a sense of hopelessness as she believed that this small entrapment would be her new home forever, and even if she somehow were to escape what would she do then?  No longer did she feel a sense of joy out of her immortality, having learned the truth that she was no different from the mortals-frail, weak, and easily manipulated.  She sighed feeling alone in this foreign wilderness.

Nemo

Ornusjalil reared as her opponent responded to her challenge in kind, and she felt the black magic tainting him. If she had been of a rational mind herself, if something didn't poison every sensation and fill her with an undying flame of rage, she might have reflected that something was affecting his mind as well as her own - making her hateful, wrathful, more than she normally was. Some part of her knew something was wrong, that there was some foul thing in the air, some taint on the wind, but the rest of her did not want to listen! She was practically bathing in her own fury. When her great ancient foe rose and called upon his tainted power to teleport, some portion of self preservation made her move on instinct.

Veraxitoc was a larger dragon than she, and much older than she, but she was stronger than he, faster than he, and certainly in better health in this moment. That said, the weight of his form and the black magic currently giving him mad power more than made up for the differences between them. The two great scaled beasts collided in a thunderous crash that started a landside down the side of the mountain and rent the air.

The male's talons scored along her belly plates and scraped her deeply, her talons tore at his diseased flanks and raked against him as she kicked, slicing him open many times. His fangs rent at her shoulder, blessedly failing to get a strong grip - though they did part a couple scales from her flesh, provoking a scream of pain and fury from the great female. She knew the flame was coming - and being the clever old warrior she was she knew enough to bring her shoulder in under his maw and drive it directly into her foe's throat, pinching off the larger dragon's windpipe. It wouldn't last, it wouldn't incapacitate him for very long at all, but maybe it might buy her a moment to retaliate and get her bearings. It certainly bought her salvation from his flames, and she took it without hesitation.

Her foreclaws and hind claws planted in the larger dragon and, with a beat of her wings four great, powerful wings, she threw him off of her bodily, and landed on the sliding hillside while boulders crashed past them, circling her ancient foe as the clouds made to catch up with their mistress, lightning screaming across the sky and earthing itself near them, briefly reflecting in the mercury gleam of her iridescent silver scales and the rivulets of crimson that ran from a dozen wounds.

This was the calm before the storm - both dragons were more than capable of killing the other... and both had scored numerous hits on the other already, even in only one clashing. She'd fared slightly the worse, he'd gotten the jump on her, but that wouldn't happen twice. In all their ancient battles, he needed magic to fight her properly - she was a real handful in a melee, especially in the air - that was her home, and it would be folly to fight her there now, especially with the storm pouring into the battle, roaring rain and screaming bolts of lightning tearing into the mountain around them. Fighting on his terms, with magic on his side... and now,

=========================

It was into this that a smaller figure made its way in. Dyan's heart sank as she saw the two gigantic dragons duking it out on the mountain side. She had not much time... not much time at all. Gods this was sloppy... but the harpy alighted upon the windowsill of the great tower, where she knew the dryad to be. The girl was not readily appearant... could Veraxitoc have moved her? She called into the room from her spot on the window - or.. almost did. She got one syllable off before she noticed the amplification.

"He-" and stopped. It was the work of a moment for the sorceress to work out what had happened, and revert to a human shape once more. Brilliant fiery orange feathers receded, her birdlike hindlegs fused quickly into wrapped human feet, and she stood straight. A quickly muttered spell broke the enchantment on the window, and she looked around the room curiously.

"Hello...? Miss fey?" she asked, feeling a berk. How did one address a fairfolk? "My name is Dyan... I'm here to help you, miss!" she said, as she reached her hands and started to make an aegis sigil on the window. The dragon might well work out what she was doing... and he was a fire dragon. Best to be prepared.

Brisinger987

As they stood in the landslide they had created, Veraxitoc felt twinging, and felt his wounds trying to heal. The black magic was corrupting him through, and now he wanted to kill, eagerly. Any part of the old Veraxitoc was hidden away, locked up without a hope of salvation. Veraxitoc waited as the black magic healed him to fight again. Once the wounds were healed, he teleported, placing a mound of dirt where he once was, and himself under Ornusjalil. A clever piece of trickery, but she would know now anyway.

He rose from the earth, sending all his talons into her underbelly, taking hits in kind to those he delivered. He doubted she knew healing magics, and he felt he had the advantage of this blessing. But then he felt his magic-induced strain ease slightly. Someone had broken the amplification spell. Dropping the fight to save his trophy, the immortal fae, he flew back to his tower, just in time to see the Harpy disappear. He teleported once to cover a distance then left his body to recover the energy lost.

The dark magic made him take the form of a blacksmith. Attractive as a human, he still despised the form. He broke down door after door in his prison tower, sprinting until he reached the top.

Aetius

The roars of the two dragons boomed in the mountain range as Ash'elin laid afraid in the prison made for her.  She had hidden herself in the dark corner once again, finding the freedom that mocked her at the window to be sickening.  Her body still burned in pain, as she sat curled up she pondered if it would ever dull away. 

There was a rattle of rock on the outside of her tower and Ash'elin would look up from her tightly bound curl to see what it was.  The spell would enhance the half-word that the being made causing a ringing in Ash'elin's already sensitive ears.  She was partially afraid, on one hand she had no idea who this was and on the other she knew her captor would viciously maul anyone who tried to help her get out of this tower.  She would catch the sight of a female form with bird-like attributes.  She gave out a soft voice of concern, one similar to the old priestess that had lifted her up before she was slaughtered.

The creature claimed she was here to help as she broke the enchantment to the door and made herself seen as a human woman.  Ash'elin slowly broke out of her shell as she crawled out of the darkness revealing her blighted skin and dulled features.

In a soft whisper out of fear of the enchantment she would reply, "I am Ash'elin..."  she looked down for a moment not knowing what to think of this stranger who came to rescue her.  She'd step up closer as she continued, "You will set me free from this dragon's keep?" 

Before she could get an answer there was a loud noise from the floor of the tower.  Ash'elin put her ear to the floor of her prison as she heard door after door be torn down; no doubt from her captor.  Ash'elin gripped to the harpy's thigh as she said in a begging voice, "You must run, leave here now!"  She could not bear to see another person be torn apart or burned alive by Veraxitoc; not for her now destroyed existence.

The sound was coming closer as Ash'elin shoved the woman not wanting more blood for her sake.  It broke her heart to shoo away possibly the only hope for salvation, but she lacked hope that anyone could set her free before Veraxitoc got a hold of them.  If she were of more calm mind she may have wondered how a dragon so large could fit in the stairways of this tower [not knowing of his human form], but right now she was in a panic as she tried to think of what to do when that last door was busted open.

Nemo

The Silver Lady's brow flickered as she saw the wounds of her foe begin to close, to seal. What the devil...? She was certain he couldn't do that before... And it was there that she noticed the way she was reacting in and of herself! Good grief this magic was intoxicating - as in, it created toxin! She could see the black tendrils of corruption in her mind... And she didn't like it.

Now that she was aware of it, her mind turned against it, driving her eyes into the realm of the magical eye, into the boundaries of true sight. The world distorted a minute, wavered and then... Grew sharper, colors intensifying. It was then that she saw the black spiritual mist that surrounded her, that surrounded them both. Now that she did, she didn't need to breathe it in... And a deliberate exhale saw it surge out of her lungs into the sky around them. Oh yes... And her ancient rival had taken a deep strike from the necromancer? She could see the black spiderwebs of the blight on him, she could see...

Ornusjalil's eyes narrowed as she focused on the ancient foe, and she could see... An undead spirit riding him! The dragon that had been raised had been twisted by dark magic, she could see, and its nightmarish form was juxtaposed over his own, it's hateful eyes flickering in Veraxitoc's own. She flared her wings, and began to shine in the darkness of this true reality, and roared, making the air shiver and quake around them, boulders bouncing off her sturdy body harmlessly and clattering down the mountainside. Her foe would attack her soon....

So it was that when Veraxitoc rose from the earth beneath her, after teleporting himself, that she saw it coming... And was ready. His claws scored deep into her sides, dealing her terrible injuries, but she clawed not at him... But at the spirit dragon that rode him. Her claws dang through Veraxitoc's form without harming him further, but tore the dark dragon spirit possessing him right out of his body, and left her to deal with the horrid thing as she bled terribly, her blood steaming in the frozen rain.

In the muzzy way of the dying, Ornusjalil tore at the evil spirit, ripping it asunder and then... Collapsed into the freezing rain, panting, her task completed. She couldn't heal herself.... But she could stop herself from dying. Her foe wouldn't notice the effects if her deed right away - but it was done. The black power had released him, and he now had only to lose the blight to be truly free. She smiled... And froze over, her body encasing itself in crystalline frost hard as steel. The rain... Became snow in an instant, and frost covered the frozen peaks in moments that chased.

============

Dyan smiled at the girl, and patted her reassuringly as she tried to push her away. "It's alright... We're here to help you and your friend. The black magic affected his mind... It wasn't him that did any of this. I can pull the blight out... I can free you from it, miss... You and your friend, see?" She said soothingly in schoolteacher harmonics, gently piloting the fey girl to a seat of stone, where she set her down gently. The girl got a good look at her face as the mysterious shapeshifter drew back her hood.

Dyan had the look of... Well, a young schoolteacher, with glasses and a soft face, the kind you'd see behind a desk and think nothing of it, who taught children and saw to it they learned the meaning of sharing and similar. (In fact, this was dead accurate!) from her voluminous cloak, still dripping with rain, she drew out... A crystal. It was odd, in its way, made naturally... But it was natural necromancy, a stone made of crystallized life energy. The teacher muttered a soft spell, and brushed her hands across it... Then pressed it into the girl's hand as it began to glow.

The stone began to turn black, began to cloud with something that swirled and drew the taint out of the fey maiden's body, very gently... But with a sort of hard insistence, as the teacher held the girl's hands over it. It wasn't exactly pleasant... It felt sickly, but the teacher wouldn't let the girl let go or drop the crystal, even as she muttered more magic, the necromancy she was using turned to a purpose in polar opposite to the misused magic the conjuror had used to taint her. Death did not belong in living tissue. Death was drawn into the stone, the blight sucked free, carefully untangled from her system, from her soul, freeing the Fey's spirit, body, and magic all in one go.

By the time Veraxitoc got to the top of the stairs, it was too late. The girl was free... And while she was still injured in the hip, it was a natural wound now. She smiled at the girl... And stood, turning to the dragon in human form.

"Now then." She said, and held out her hand to the side. There was a ripping sound as air was rent and a pocket dimension was opened, then a flash of grayish light came forth as a... Staff came to Dyan's hand suddenly, even as she enacted the verbal and somatic components of a spell, the air hardening around her.

"Will you let me pull the Blight out of you? Or do I need to subdue you, dragon? You are not yourself."

Brisinger987

Veraxitoc hadn't heard Ornusjalil behind him but he wasn't bothered. Someone was messing with the tower. And the little fae girl couldn't do that. Whoever was stealing his trophy was as good as dead in his eyes. They would be chow, a small snack for him. He felt the corruption become easier to fight as he climbed.

It was fading.

He reached the top and it was now a fight mentally for control. His human form didn't break the last door down by charging but merely tumbled through the door in fits of agony as the blight desperately tried to maintain control. "Get it out of me mage! Now!"

In his mind, the battle being fought was not between a light and dark, but instead he saw the battle as two mighty waves crashing together, two armies warring, two wolves challenging each other. His vivid imagination showed the struggle in his mind in many forms. It was a war of attrition, no winner possible without intervention. He needed the mage.

"Help me fight it mage. Please!"

Aetius

The sound of footsteps seemed to continue up, though if Ash'elin had payed it more heed she would have noticed that the force moving up the tower seemed to be slowing down.  She found herself clutching tightly onto the cloth of this woman's thigh as her reassuring voice claimed that she could help both Ash'elin and Veraxitoc.  The woman seemed adamant to state that her help was offered to both of them as friends, at this point the fae had felt thoroughly betrayed and was having trouble being able to place all the death and evil purely on the fault of this dark magic. 

A crystal would appear in front of the girl; it's presence radiating a much more gentle magic than that which festered inside her.  Her hand was coaxed to crystal and suddenly there was a surge of energy that spread through her body as she felt a rejuvenating blast flow through her purging all the dark magic that had spread through her body.  It was a difficult experience as she clenched harder to the woman, but soon enough it was over and Ash'elin would collapse to her knees.  She panted as her breath strengthened and she found the mind-breaking pain had finally subsided.  She looked up to her savior and would notice how the crystal had turned a dark black color, realizing that it had absorbed what energy laid in her just moments ago. 

Looking toward this woman with tearful eyes she would hug her tightly, ignoring the sounds of her captor for the moment as she uttered a quiet.  "Thank you..."

However the sound of the door opening would strike the tinge of fear back into her as she released her grip around Dyan and scurried to the far off wall of the tower.  A mix of this fear and a bit of anger bubbled up when she saw this humanoid figure.  She could hear the words Dyan gave the man and came to learn that this was Veraxitoc in another form.  She grit her teeth seeing him even in this weakened and troubled state.  Part of her wished to do harm to the dragon, if they were alone at this moment she would have gladly turned this stone fortress against him and send a spiked pillar into his damaged body.  However the presence of Dyan kept her from extracting any emotional outburst.  The mage's words kept her quiet as she watched the scene unfold, but she swore to lash out upon Veraxitoc if he made any attack on the woman who had set her free from that curse.