Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Second Chances

Started by visualspice, May 27, 2013, 07:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

She bowed her head.
"I am most grateful for all you've done for me. May Ansgar bless you, your family,a nd your future."

The night would come, and though she found herself in a strange bed, in a stranger's house, she was able to fall asleep quickly, albeit fitfully. She was tossing and turning for hours, murmuring things and shaking from time to time. Eventually, one nightmare compelled her to scream out, "Blaith, no! Please! Please stop!"

And her eyes opened as she sat up with a gasp, heart racing and hands clutching her blanket so tightly into her balled fists her knuckles turned white. Fear kept her still, blue eyes darting all around and it took some time before she realized just where she was.

She wasn't home. This wasn't Turgall, this wasn't the Keep, this wasn't her bed.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

Alexander had settled down by the fire with a pillow and a spare blanket, and had just managed to drift off to sleep when a scream had him shooting to his feet. Once a soldier, always a soldier, and he was already wide awake and alert as he bolted to the bedroom, prepared for the worst. Had the people hunting the girl found her?

They would take her over his dead body.

"Kella!" he gasped as he threw the door open and burst inside. But immediately he saw that, thank God, the worst had not happened. She was there, still in bed, and no strangers had come to kill her or take her away. But the terror in her eyes showed that it had no doubt been a nightmare.

Thank God.

He let out a breath, the tension seeping out of him slowly even though he still felt amped up, his pulse pounding in his ears. He let out another breath. "Are you okay?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

She was trembling in the cold and quiet dark. His words carried, but she was still coming out from her nightmare. She couldn't respond, at least not at first, until she realized her eyes were wet with tears which she promptly wiped as she turned away.

"I must've had a bad dream," she told him softly, then lifted her eyes to him. "I'm sorry if I woke you."
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

"Don't apologize," Alexander said, the tension and residual terror in his expression softening as the faint light caught and shimmered on her face, just before she turned it away. Tears, he realized a second later, and he could hear it in her voice, too.

He rolled his shoulders, letting them relax, and took another step closer. "I get them, too. Bad dreams like that." But she had been calling out a man's name, pleading, and his stomach twisted as the implications sank in. Fuck...

But he didn't mention that he had heard. He didn't want to tear the wound open further, didn't want to make her feel more vulnerable than she already was. "Would you...like me to stay with you? Until you fall asleep?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

Her blue eyes were cast towards the ground, arms wrapped around herself as she tried to calm down. But the tears still rolled down her cheeks, forcing her to eventually turn away as she tried to discretly wipe at them.

A moment later she exhaled and nodded.

"That's very kind of you.. but I couldn't ask you to inconvenience yourself anymore than you have... I already feel terribly for Awakening you."

Rhindeer

"You're hardly an inconvenience," Alexander said, frowning as he watched her with concern. She was trying to hide it (and doing a rather poor job of it) but whatever she had dreamed, it had really upset her. "And you shouldn't feel bad, either. It's really okay."

He shifted his weight awkwardly, hesitating, scratching at his beard. He was not going to force his company upon her, and if she really wanted to be alone he would respect her privacy, but he would also feel terrible just leaving her in this state with fresh tears still falling. He cleared his throat, looking for the right words.

"Do you wanna...talk about it?" he offered at last.

visualspice

Kella visibly flinched at the words, turning away with an uncharacteristic, "No!"
She felt her panicked heart racing as her knuckles whitened, she not even realizing how tense she was. 

She shook her head, trying to swallow her panic before nervously peering towards the window, as if something.. or someone might jump clean through it.

Rhindeer

Alexander winced, because God help him he was doing a bang up job making the situation worse, wasn't he?

"Ah, alright, alright, that's okay. You don't have to do anything you don't want to, lass."

He drew in a deep breath. The girl was skittish as a wild horse. "Do you want to be left alone?" he asked at last, still wishing there was more he could do.

visualspice

At that, she tensed. The fear was ridiculous, this she knew, but nightmare or not..

"No,I'd rather not be alone."

She moved uncomfortably.

"Perhaps we could talk a while. If you don't mind. You.. could tell me a story, or just talk about your day."

Anything would be a welcome distraction, and she felt so exhausted the idea she would miss out on more sleep..

She blinked back some tears, eyes still averted Ad she kept them glued to her lap.

Rhindeer

Poor girl. Too private to confide her fears, too fearful to be alone. Alexander glanced to the window he'd noticed her peering at, then back to Kella, and gave a slow nod.

"That I can do," he said with a smile, though there was clear concern in his eyes. He motioned to the bed. "Why don'tcha get comfortable again? With any luck, my tale will bore ya back to sleep."

Now he just had to think of a story that was appropriate. He had a collection from his time in active duty, but not many he could tell to a lady. Hmm. As he thought, he took a seat on the chest at the foot of the bed, hand on his chin. "Ah. Ya ever seen a kelpie?"

visualspice

"Kelpie?" She repeated, brushing back some tears. "You mean magical, shape shifters?"

Rhindeer

"Aye," Alexander said, offering a small smile. "Magical shape-shifters. They live in lakes and bogs and swamps and take the shape of a horse—or a beautiful woman. Any fool who tries to touch her, though, will be dragged to the depths and—"

Hm. He paused. Maybe this particular story wasn't the best choice to tell a spooked lady before bedtime, even if it was a rather exciting one. He scratched his beard, awkward, for most of his exciting stories were also a tad bit morbid, too.

"Ah. That one might be a bit too grim, on second thought."

visualspice

Kella placed a gentle covered hand on his sleeve and have him a small smile. 

"It's okay. You can tell me the tale. I promise it won't frighten me."

Truthfully, it was endearing he stopped to consider her, but after all his excitement.. she couldn't let him let that glow go. Besides, she doubted a tale could spook her worse. She'd lived a varietal nightmare for the past few years... she could take a couple of stories from a man seeking to comfort her.

"I've read some stories about bog men and werewolves... a little lake monster would be a nice addition," She added with a small bit of playfulness to her voice.

Rhindeer

Alexander paused for a moment and glanced from the pale hand on his sleeve to her eyes--and suddenly his concern felt a little silly. While he might have no idea what she'd been through, it was clear she had been through something traumatic, survived it, and was no doubt tougher for it. She certainly didn't seem the sort of lady he needed to walk on eggshells around, but all the same, he didn't want to accidentally dredge up anything painful or uncomfortable for her.

He also didn't want to patronize her.

It was her playful 'little lake monster' remark that reassured him.

"Well, I wouldn't call her 'little'," he said with a wry smile. "But I think I was about, oh...eighteen, nineteen? It was winter and there wasn't much to do but the usual drills, scouting...dull work, really, except for a few bandit raids. Then one day while idling around a half-frozen pond we'd been around a dozen times, some naked lass comes staggering out of the bulrushes calling for help. Inky black hair, pale skin. Gorgeous beyond belief, 'cept she looked near froze to death with icicles and weeds in her hair and mud on her hands."

He shuddered. "Ya know, my first thought seeing something like that is to help them, of course! Who wouldn't, the poor thing. Who knows what she'd been through! I had my coat half off to cover her before I noticed something very wrong. Her eyes--pure white! Like the eyes of a corpse. But before I could say anything, my friend Finn was already offering his hand, and she took it--and didn't let go."

Alexander looked to Kella, gauging her reaction before deciding too continue. "She looked frail, but she had the strength of ten men as she hauled him into the water like he was naught but a child. She dragged him right under before we could even move. At least, she sure got close--one of the other men with us--Kieran--managed to grab him by the ankle, but he was getting pulled in, too, and he wasn't strong enough to save Finn, and Finn was drowning fast. He got out his knife and somehow got a hit on the monster...but that just mad her madder. That's when she turned."

He turned to Kella, using his hands in an effort to convey the creature's size as his words came quicker with excitement. "When I tell ya she was massive, I mean--God! This beast reared up out of the water, a horse big as a war stallion but thin and gangly as reeds, with bloody teeth sharp as razors. She bellowed in anger, and Finn by the grace of God somehow scrambled to shore missing a chunk of shoulder rather than neck. I was probably a giant idiot, but I pulled out my sword and jumped in the water with Kieran because that monster was going for him next. She struck out like a snake--but I did, too."

With a sharp motion, he jabbed the air. "Just like that! Stabbed her right through the neck. The sound she made--never heard anything like it on earth. She splashed back beneath the water, taking my sword with her, and he water churned red. Dunno if she lived or died; we didn't stick around to find out. Finn was bleeding out so there wasn't time for that. We got the hell out of there after that and nearly froze getting Finn to safety, and he nearly died. But somehow, we all got out of it alive."

He scratched his beard. "Ain't been near a body of water I can't see the bottom of ever since."

visualspice

Kella's eyes were large as he went on with his tale. She found herself sitting up taller, then leaning in, closer and closer as he spoke.

"So you only lost your sword," She said, sighing with relief. "I bet Finn was grateful. That sounds terrible- to think he was trying to help the poor lady and she turned out to be a monster."

That gave her pause.. would he consider her a monster once he knew her story..who she really was? She moved about uncomfortably, eyes suddenly downcast. 

Was she taking advantage of him like that lake monster? Oh.. that was silly of her to consider. She knew she wasn't a monster.. but even still....

"Thank you for the story," She told him, finally lifting her gaze to him. "And.. I'm glad you and your friends were okay."

Rhindeer

"That's just how those monsters are. Kelpies. Evil things, they are. Never let your guard down by a lake or bog," Alexander said with a nod, and offered her a smile at her thanks. he propped his elbow on his knee and rested his chin in his hand as he peered at her.

"Anyhow, it's my pleasure. But I'm sure I ain't the only one with interesting stories to tell. What about you? Got any good ones?"

visualspice

Kella studied him as she blushed, then cast her eyes down to her lap.

"I don't think I'd be a very good story teller. Not after one like that.." she went on, sheepishly tucking her short blonde hair behind her ear. She thought it over...
about the stories she'd heard or sung in her youth.. then peered over, a distant look to her eyes as she remembered her life before.. well all this. Things were golden, perfect- she lived without complications outside of..
She shifted suddenly, adjusting the gloves on her arms and looked away.

The complications of her touch. It... she....

It made sense why they had started a war.

But then she forced a smile, shaking her head.

"I definitely don't think I could think of one.. or tell it as good as you."
She finally looked up at him, and.. blushed. She dropped her gaze again.

"But I'd be much obliged if you were to tell me another. I'm sure you've lived such a fascinating life."

Rhindeer

"Ahh, there's no need to be so modest. I'm sure you've got some good ones of your own--funny childhood memories, maybe some adventures. A mysterious lady wanderin' out on her own is bound to have seen or heard a thing or two."

Alexander offered her a gentle smile. He didn't want to pressure her, and definitely did not plan to push if she balked. The lady was skittish as a doe, and he was certain she had her reasons.

"How about this: I'll tell ya another one in exchange for a story from you. Doesn't have to be nothin' fancy. It can be anything! An interesting animal ya saw, a funny tale ya overheard, a place you've always wanted to go. How's that sound?"

visualspice

She eyed him, a playful twinkle to her eyed despite her shy demeanor. She shook her head, laughing softly.

"If it pleases you," She finally conceded, shaking her head lightly but still smiling all the same. She supposed she owed him atleast that. "But you can't complain when my story isn't as interesting as yours."

Rhindeer

"Don't sell yourself short, lass," Alexander said, then cleared his throat and took a moment to think. Maybe something a little lighter after the monster story?

"Let's see...ah! So, y'know, I grew up in this town. And not too far away there's this hill--ya might've seen it. Couple old grave markers up there that no one can remember who they belong to, they're so old. Well, when I was ten my older brother Owen decides to tell me and my little sister, Moira, that he's been up to the hill and that he brought back a bone on a dare. I told him he'd better put it back before we got haunted, but he refused, said it was fine and he don't believe in no ghosts. Showed us the bone and everything, this tiny little thing. Scared the life outta us, but we didn't dare tell our ma because her switch scared us more.

"Moira and I didn't like it a bit, ghosts or no. Taking bones from a grave's gotta be bad luck at the very least and it could've been a dead witch for all we knew! We didn't want that in our house! So, Moira and I, we haunted him. Started moving around his things so they were never where he put 'em. Started leavin' ominous stones in his room that we'd painted nonsense symbols on that looked spooky. Found a bird skull and left it on his pillow. Moira even went above and beyond and snuck out one night so she could scratch on the wall where he slept and make scary groaning noises.

"This went on for, oh, a good week before he broke down from lack of sleep and told us everything was fake, he'd lied and it was just a chicken bone! He'd never even been up there to the graves! Well Moira and I, we told him that the ghosts had heard his lies and were teachin' him a lesson and he'd better go up there and apologize."

Alexander snickered, shaking his head. "Kinda mean, lookin' back. He was scared shitless--ah, apologies, he was scared to death of goin' up there, but he went there all alone and apologized to the graves. Moira and I? We never came clean." He grinned mischievously. "But I like to think he learned a lesson of some sort."

Tags: