Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Tower of Uthlyn! [Open!]

Started by Echtronis, July 07, 2013, 01:30:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kleineklementine

The movements of the Church were so practiced and memorized for Olive that she didn't even turn her head when Jobias murmured something to her. Really, she didn't even hear what he'd said, and she vaguely wondered if it hadn't been a threat. She didn't think very much about the mass or what was being said or Angsar or anything like that. She worried about the guards, whether or not they'd still be out looking for them by the end of mass, and what Jobias was going to do with her now. At least she'd sent Dac home. She was sure that if the dog had been mentioned to the guards, not being followed around by a bear-sized dog would be something of an advantage. Well, at least for now, she could relax a little. Whatever the Mordecai-cum-barber was going to do, he wouldn't do it during mass. And luckily for Olive, the midday mass was the longest.

When it finally concluded, she made no hurry to get out. Instead, when she left the pew, she moved to the alter of Saint Timothy, the saint for tested souls, and knelt to silently pray. This was something she always did in church. It looked good for a mage, and she since her mark never went unnoticed in a church, it was an extra precaution she was accustomed to taking. She liked to think of him as something of her personal friend, and they would grumble together about the small-minded people filing out of the church. Good ol' Saint Tim.

Finally, Olive got up from kneeling and moved to leave the church, finding Jobias with her eyes. As always happened when she was in a church (and sometimes when she wasn't), her presence garnered many pitying stares and murmurs from the clergy. The grace with which Olive handled this - especially considering the manners she'd shown so far - betrayed that she had, at least to some degree, by someone, at some point in her life, been taught how to carry herself.

She walked slowly when they left the church, with a decidedly more conciliatory demeanor. Olive might be by nature a little combative, but she wasn't entirely stupid. She knew that would be of no help to her now. And, she hated admitting this, ending up swamped by all those rats had been her fault and if Jobias hadn't come, someone would have called the guards, and there wouldn't have been anyone there to whisk her away. However tough she might try to be when she was out in Uthlyn away from the college, she wasn't so ill-mannered to not thank him, or at least apologize.

"Um," she started awkwardly, shuffling her feet as they headed away from the church. She paused and took a breath, then the rest came out in rather quick succession, with Olive looking at her feet the whole time. "Look, I shouldn't have taken that thing from your shop and I know that whatever trouble I caused with it was my fault and I know I behaved very poorly back in that alley and I said some things that weren't entirely fair. I was afraid and I'm sorry." She was still afraid, but she looked up at Jobias now and finished a bit more slowly. "And I realize that I'd still be stuck back there now if you hadn't come and that someone would have still called the guards and... Thank you."

Echtronis

After the service concluded, Jobias let Olive go by without accost, and watched her for a moment as she gave prayer at the altar of Saint Timothy. He thought it of mild interest that she chose that altar in particular. When he had arrested magic-users, It was always Angsar they would cry for, or Fenton as a close second, who of course was the Saint of Forgiveness. He always despised it when they called out to Saint Fenton, to dare to reach to bend the ear of the Saint, pettily bleating for forgiveness after turning good townsfolk inside out with but a few spiteful words.

Since having this chance to catch breath, Jobias thought a bit more clearly about the situation. He noted how lucky the two of them had been for not actually having encountered the guard themselves.  Without faces to associate with the undoubtedly confusing mess left in the alleyway, perhaps the worst  was behind them. He considered the evidence left behind; three crossbow bolts, three strange, dead rats. He wondered what would happen to the diminutive corpses; if they would be properly looked at if anything for their strange appearance. Wishful thinking no doubt. Without the alarm of magic at work, it was very likely they were simply disposed of. A shame; if there was something to be gleaned from any connection between the strange wires from the butcher, and the bizarre magical occurrence in the alleys, it would have been from those rats he shot. If investigation came to his home on the word of the urchin boy that led him to find Olive, he could tell nearly the complete truth, sans the identity of the girl who found herself in trouble, and have no fear of reprisal.

Olive came, and with a gentle grin he silently agreed that it would be safe to leave. At least she was safe, or should be safe anyway. Despite his anger for what she had done, Jobias came to the strange realization that if she hadn't, he would never have discovered the magical nature of the wires, not with his mordecaism. Whaever she thought she was doing, it didn't seem she really had anything directly to do with the incident.

When she spoke her contrite, Jobias' face looked a mix of bemusement and forbearance. They stopped a moment in their exit down the steps of the great entry to the church. Jobias placed a gentle to her cheek, giving a mild, but endearing grin to her when she thanked him. "Think nothing of it, Miss Olive." In his newfound comfort he had forgotten her distaste for prefixes. With a light brush of his thumb he withdrew his hand, and looked out to the city as he continued.

"To you I owe credit for the discovery of something undoubtedly sinister in Uthlyn, of a nature I know precious little about, but I am simply glad that you are out of harm's way. I... I am sorry if I had frightened you back there, I was unsure of your intentions, and while that still continues to play question in my mind," He said, with a notable cant of his head. "I have a hunch that you are not, in fact, a crooked-nosed sorceress orchestrating a plot to to turn all our first borns into three-headed goats." Jobias' eyes were caught by the sight of two city guards discussing something of slightly beyond a casual nature, a hand gesture typically used to describe height was used, and the level of which would fit that of the children of the street, though they did not seem terribly alarmed. He continued walking with Olive on a path away from the guard. "I think we are safe, but perhaps it would be wise if you did something to dress yourself differently in the near future."

Then he remembered. "Do you still fancy a haircut?"

Brisinger987

Xerordir had been naughty and taken a stroll in Kirnardaz's realm, using it as a shortcut. The screaming as Kirnardaz's guards slaughtered the innocent demons in his realm was satisfying. No demon prince was naturally benevolent. Always a tyrant.

He arrived at the other end of the passage, as far as Kirnardaz could take them. Saint Timothy's church. He was going to destroy the church. Demons could invade the city if he flipped the holy symbols. And that would make Dhalekar's job harder, exponentially.

He clambered up from the skeleton filled catacombs, summoning hundreds of zombies with Kirnardaz's demonic power. He released them all into the church, as he went up through it. Then, he noticed the service was already over. Oh well. Time to release them into the streets.

He made sure all the zombies had succeeded in killing the holy men, and then opened the church doors for the zombies.

"When the hells are full, Angsar's enemies will rise again!" As he threw his arms up, the mass of re-energised zombies spewed into the streets, causing people to scream and flee. These weren't any zombies. They were sprinting, mad, flesh hungry zombies of death.

"Oh Angsar, how we pray that thee shall die in the blackness of undeath, and how  we pray that life shall continue at the whims of those who control the dead!" He remembered the words very clearly from a connlaothian play he had once seen, which was about the return of the Necromancers to Le'raana.

"Loyal citizens of Uthlyn, pray that Angsar will protect you... AS HIS HOUSE BURNS, HAHAHAHA!" The church erupted into flames, dozens of zombies fleeing, burning flesh contaminating the air.

((OOC: The madness has begun))

kleineklementine

Olive was feeling a lot of things at once. On one hand, she was glad to see Jobias so much more relaxed; she hadn't actually thought the side trip to the church would be this effective. On second hand, maybe he was being too relaxed now; maybe it was a rouse to get her off her guard. On third(?) hand, an older man was paying attention to her and had his hand on her cheek. But on fourth hand, if it were genuine, Olive thought the sudden turn of mood was awfully... sudden, and she wondered if this were really affection for her, and what phantom he might be seeing when he looked at her. Whichever hand were the true one, the gesture was sufficiently tender to make Olive blush, just a little. She didn't normally blush, and she thought furiously now that it must be because she was already off her guard, what with everything else going on.

"It's, um, you don't, er..." Now she was the flustered one, but she managed to keep herself from looking at the ground again. This whole thing was just so bizarre. The entire day had so far been entirely out of sync with her real life. But she frowned up at him when he made the comment about a sorceress making three headed babies or some other such nonsense.

"You know, that's just a tad offensive." Her eyes had that defiance back in them, but her voice was calm and she didn't move away. "Maybe jokes like that are harmless and don't get old from your end of things. You might feel differently if you had to walk around with this stitched into all of your clothing. But," she gave helpless little huff of a sigh, "under the circumstances, I forgive you."

She was about to say something about the hair cut, about whether or not it would really be safe to go back to the barber shop, about whether his words meant she was free to go now, about whether or not he wanted her to go, about the wires and the rats and what happened and if he was 'kicking her off the investigation team,' but she didn't get a chance to say any of those things.

Though they were no longer within sight of the church, Olive's head ticked to the side as the sounds of fire and panic reached them. Her heart froze. All of her froze. This was not good. Unthinkingly, she grabbed hold of Jobias.

"Um," she tried to put on her best brave voice, but it was a complete failure, "I think this might not be the best time for a haircut..."

Olive needed to get out of here. Whatever was happening, she needed to be nowhere near it. She looked over her shoulder again in the direction of the noises, and then back at Jobias, her heart racing. Well, today seemed to be a day of impulses, and Olive didn't really have time to sort out what she felt. So, abruptly, Olive bounced up to the balls of her feet and kissed Jobias quickly on the cheek.

"Thanks again," she said hurriedly, then turned and took off running as fast as her feet would carry her.

Echtronis

Beneath the Ruined Temple of Alainoth
weeks after the razing of Uthlyn's Church in the Commons

"What do you mean, no more farmers, imp?!" Dhalekar echoed in a metallic shriek from the cavity in his rotted throat, the vibrations from the enchanted stone embedded within flapped the remaining dry tissue in an way that grew more intense with his conjured voice.

"P-p-p-peasants, my lord! They have withdrawn from many of the outskirts v-villages; the C-Connlaothian soldiers are making p-patrols!" Bax, the fourth replacement of Dhalekar's assistant from the distant Xerodir, was ever loathe to bring this sort of news to his master's new ally, who seemed to have a complete misunderstanding of the value of his red-bottomed kin. "We have t-taken many, my lord, b-but these people in this realm, they are... are ... resilient?"

Dhalekar set down the intricate, bronze instrument in his bony fingers back onto his sea of charts upon the drawing roost in his laboratory. His tattered Nosferti silks flowed like a river of smoke as he descended in a footless glide to approach Bax, whom immediately began cowering and clutching his bestingered tail, and with a smooth gesture, the lich lifted the imp in a gentle levitation. "Then take the ogre; if patrols have come to this region, then their bodies shall suit my needs!"

"Y-yes of course, my lord!" Bax began whimpering a bit as he began slowly rolling in place without a means of stabilizing himself in the air. "But, but you demanded discretion, I am unable to break a command, even by a new one unless the first was dismissed! That was in the rules!"

The necromancer hissed. "You complain to me of your own negligence?!" His bones creaked as he waved his arm to his side, and Bax yelped as he found himself hovering over the rat pit, meters deep with squirming, screeching, modified rodent spies. "Perhaps you should join your predecessors then; I have not the patience for this!!"

"HEEEEE AAAHH NO NO NO, NOW NOW, MY LORD PLEEEAAASE - it was Goppul's doing, not mine NOT MINE! The mines, my lord, the mines!"

Dhalekar kept the imp in place, but began hovering towards him, his angered calling quelling a bit to give into restrained curiosity. "What are you prattling about- What about the mines?!"

"Goppuuuuuuul did it, my lord, not Bax! He feared you would kill him, a-a-as you did my lord, and rightfully so! His yielding of metal was too low, you were displeased!"

A groaning hiss. "By the prophets, whatever did that imbecile do before I gave his bones to Smiles?"

"He, he did as commanded, my lord! Increased production! However, he did not have the same command of discretion as loyal Bax, obeeeedient Bax! Bax follows the letter, my lord! Bax would never make the mines so noticeable! I saw it myself!"

"WHAT?!" The lich's voice pushed the limits of the stone, the shrill of the echoes even giving a small jitter in the surrounding undead laborer's resonance, as if they paused to cringe at the volume of it. With his free hand, Dhalekar reached out, and still standing meters away from the levitating devil, he pulled invisible strands and suddenly yanked his hand. With a terrible cry, Bax's left eye ripped from its socket, and followed the sharp gesture of Dhalekar's hand to go, careening, towards a heavy looking bronze gyro on one of the main tables - its rings had already begun spinning to impossible speeds, and almost hungrily it accepted the unwitting imp's offering, immediately and irrevocably rending it to an organic mist, which caused the device to glow with unsettling pink energies. Dhalekar unceremoniously released Bax into the pit of voracious rats, though he barely heard the imp's screams, so focused was he on the gyro as he glided over to it.

Within the gyro, very recent images of himself came into view, and with his skeletal hands the lich began manipulating the speed of the various rings, flashing to previous sights Bax had seen with the eye, until everything came to a dead stop. There it was, nestled only miles from Alainoth's ancient, thankfully well-hidden temple, was the site in which Dhalekar had ordered for his growing hoard of minions to begin extracting dense metals from for his purposes. It was, as the temple above his catacombs, hidden well enough by the growth of trees that lined the foothills of the valley that encircled Connlaoth, but true to the imp's words as he struggled helplessly for his life in the pit, there was a careless amount of expanding activity. Once living farmers and other country folk, the dead were toiling about all around the site, as if making any most direct path to the veins that were detected. Perhaps most dire of all, was the smoke that rose from one of the shafts. Whether it was Bax's predecessor or not, they had begun smelting right there in the mines itself for but a scant bit of productivity. Effective, of course, however, there could be little imagined to be an even more foolish beacon to their operations.

Dhalekar's fingers twisted into eachother into mock-fists, and his bones began to glow a sickly blue as he let out another would-be ear-piercing screech.

"WHERE IS SENKA?!"